Whole Foods Lifestyle - What "Whole Foods" meals are you making today?

SoulBliss
09-22-2007, 12:04 PM
I am making an arugula pesto with walnuts, arugula, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, a pinch of black pepper and umeboshi vinegar.

I am steaming beets and carrots to serve over a salad of heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, mixed greens, chickpeas and kalamata olives.

I am cooking quinoa in vegetable broth, and serving it with a zucchini, caramelized onion and garlic sauce.

What are you making? :carrot: :broc:

phantastica
09-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Yum, those all sound delicious!

I'm not sure how whole-foody my chili is, but I've added some frozen heirloom tomatoes from my workout buddy's garden, some roasted red and yellow peppers, hot peppers from a coworker's garden, quorn simulated beef crumbles (or whatever they called them - ha), canned tomatoes, chicken broth, frozen roasted corn, seasoning, etc.

I'm soaking some dried chickpeas for homemade hummus and balela.

SoulBliss
09-22-2007, 12:49 PM
That sounds like a great whole foods chili!

Is the balela homemade too? I like to make it with cilantro instead of parsley for a different flavor.

phantastica
09-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks! Edit: I'm having the chili now - very yummy! I'd never tried these TVP-like "beef" crumbles before and in the chili I can't tell the difference.

Yes, the balela will be homemade, too. I bought some once at a deli and I thought hmmmm, this must be easy to make. Surprisingly, I didn't find many recipes for it in google, but I did find one and I'm going to check it out. I loooove cilantro, so maybe next time I'll try that - I already bought the parsley.

SoulBliss
09-23-2007, 01:57 PM
OH my goodness...I just made the MOST delicious dish! It is so good, I had to put it down to post so I could remember what I just did--and to slow down my eating!!! :lol:

I chopped onion and carrots and cooked them in a skillet (without oil). While that was cooking, I chopped some young Spring onions (they are purple on the bottoms and green at the tops), a yellow heirloom tomato and added that in after the onion and carrot was cooked.

Next, I sliced a cup of seitan and added that, stirring frequently. I put about 1/3 a tsp. of ground black pepper and 6 shakes of cayenne pepper in and mixed it up.

After that was cooked, I took 3 cups of the leftover seasoned quinoa and mixed it in, squeezing the juice of one lime over it all.

To top it off, I chopped 6 jalapeno stuffed large green olives and 1/2 a pickled jalapeno, 3 slices of dried mango coated in chili and sprinkled a bit of each of them on each serving.

This is really delicious, there is no added oil, it is high in fiber and protein and veggies!

:carrot: :broc:

srmb60
09-23-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a bunch of ripe tomatoes again so ...

In the biggest pot I've got and I wish it was bigger ...
skinned tomatoes
chopped onion
chopped green peppers
cubed yellow squash
and ... ahem ... knorr vegetables soup mix

I'll have polenta and my fella's will have whole grain bread with it for supper. I'm going to can the rest.

SoulBliss
09-23-2007, 02:37 PM
That sounds wonderful! :drool:

srmb60
09-23-2007, 02:38 PM
It sure smells good!

SarahJayne
09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Tonight I am trying out a new concoction in the crockpot. It is still cooking so I hope it tastes okay.

I threw in: uncooked brown rice, carrots, onions, celery, zucchini, can chopped tomatoes (my only non-fresh veg), water, pinto beans, cannellini beans, red chilli, fresh cilantro and some curry powder. We shall see!

phantastica
09-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Ooh, yummy, Sarah!

Today I had a very un-whole instant plain oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit. Lunch is leftover chili and balela. The balela turned out good, but I used dried garbanzo beans (reconstituted, of course) and they didn't have the same consistency as canned ones. Not terrible, but I think I'll use the rest of the dried garbanzo beans for hummus or something. Or maybe they need to be boiled in addition to being soaked? I don't know.

Dinner tonight will be a mixed vegetable salad with some chicken, and maybe something for a grain.

SarahJayne
09-25-2007, 02:38 PM
It turned out pretty good but my gosh that made a huge amount! When I was doing the calorie count on it for my food diary while it was cooking I was thinking it was a bit higher in calories than I normally want but I couldn't eat my whole portion. Which of course is part of the beauty of the whole food..like 500 calories and I feel like I can't move because I am so full :)

Snowbunny
09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
I made home made chili.

baffled111
09-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Last night I made a big batch of chicken and wild rice soup. It's quite yummy, packed with veggies and creamy (thanks to fat free evaporated milk and my hand mixer). AND it's only 219 cals/serving with 18g protein. Hooray! I love soup!

SoulBliss
09-25-2007, 05:27 PM
The balela turned out good, but I used dried garbanzo beans (reconstituted, of course) and they didn't have the same consistency as canned ones. Not terrible, but I think I'll use the rest of the dried garbanzo beans for hummus or something. Or maybe they need to be boiled in addition to being soaked? I don't know.I don't suggest eating garbanzo beans that haven't been cooked! :^: I am sure that your recipe would be great with cooked ones though! :yes:

phantastica
09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
I soaked the chickpeas to death, like 2x as long as the package calls for. I used some in the balela, and they weren't hard, but kind of crispy. LOL.

I boiled the rest of them for a while to make hummus, which turned out OK, but they were STILL hard to mash up. As a result, I have somewhat chunky hummus. Not ideal, but not terrible either.

SoulBliss
09-25-2007, 11:14 PM
I like really well cooked beans and legumes best. :)

Tonight I made the arugula pesto again but had no olive oil (my DD is quite the gourmand and she used it up making a zucchini pasta dish this weekend!).

So, I used the "juice" from the kalamata olives (white wine vinegar, olive oil and water) left out the umeboshi vinegar, and added in nutritional yeast as well as vegan parmesean cheese. I combined them with the above ingredients I initially posted. It was good spread on whole grain olive bread. :drool:

I cooked 1 bunch collard greens, 3 carrots, 1 onion and 10 cherry tomatoes then seasoned them with 1 tsp. coconut oil and 1 T. jalapeno sauce.

I sliced 3 different colors of heirloom tomatoes and we ate those too.

The thing we ate that wasn't so "whole foods" was veggie sausage links.

It was a great meal. :carrot: :broc:

phantastica
09-28-2007, 04:02 PM
My new thing is making my own salad dressings. I have all the fixins - spices, herbs, lemon and lime juice, oils, pastes, vinegars, even Bragg's amino acids.

SarahJayne
09-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Today I have been less than good but yesterday I was lazy and it was cold so I made a nice veggie soup with pearl barley, carrots, leeks, onions, cabbage, zucchini. low sodium veggie stock and garlic. It was lovely, if I do say so myself :) The only thing that would have made it better would have been mushrooms (I am a mushroom nut) but I didn't have any left from this week's shopping.

Spinymouse
09-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm going to make butternut squash spaetzle and put it into a tomato bisque.
Wish me luck - the butternut squash spaetzle recipe from Emeril uses plain white flour and I'm going to use something different. Spelt flour? Maybe potato flour?

SoulBliss
09-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Ooooh! I would use a mixture of potato and spelt (depending on the texture you want). Sounds great!

baffled111
09-29-2007, 06:58 PM
I went to the farmer's market this morning and bought lots of fabulous stuff. I got a ton of gorgeous heirloom tomatoes and some fresh basil, so for lunch today I made a tomato, basil and mozzarella salad (with mozz I made myself!) served with some bread I baked this morning from wild yeast brewed in my kitchen. Aside from the oil, balsamic and flour, it was a completely local, organic, whole foods meal. And it was delicious!

SoulBliss
09-29-2007, 07:08 PM
^^Lovely! Nothing is better than local, organic and home made!

phantastica
09-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Wow, baffled!! That's amazing - making cheese and yeast, cool!

Spinymouse
09-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Baffled - that is, pardon the expression, awesome!

lmills730
09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
I made a delicious whole foods lasagna for dinner tonight. Whole wheat lasagna noodles, homemade tomato sauce with lots of veggies and fresh tomatoes and herbs, as well as 99% FF ground turkey. yum!

SoulBliss
09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
MMM! What veggies did you put in it? :carrot: :broc:

lmills730
09-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I had some celery, chunks of carrots, red peppers and green peppers, mushrooms, and actually some chopped up fresh green beans too! :)

SoulBliss
09-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Yay! That's what I like to do too, put in anything I can to up the veggie content, keep the calories low and make it tasty. ;)

I am going to go make dinner right now then I will come back here and post what I make. :lol:

SoulBliss
09-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Dandelion and mizuna greens, wilted, with a touch of extra virgin olive oil, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, umeboshi vinegar and rice wine vinegar :drool:

Tofu "cutlets" with garlic, coconut oil and umeboshi vinegar

Heirloom tomatoes (every color) with cucumber and red pepper

Orange slices

My DD said: "It's so colorful!" and it really is a beautiful plate of food. My DH and DD also had veggie pakoras but I resisted the fried chickpea and rice flour, shredded veggie goodness! :lol:

lmills730
09-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Wow I am impressed! I have never tried dandelion greens...i am now curious! Do you get them at your local grocery store? I have recently moved to Orlando from New England and have found that the local grocery stores have a severe lack of healthy foods :( Also no Trader Joes (favorite store ever) and the closest Whole Foods is an hour and a half away!

kaplods
09-29-2007, 11:37 PM
I've got a cassoulet type bean dish in the crockpot for tomorrow. It's been in a couple hours and already smells awesome. A chicken thigh quarter, a bit of course grind italian sausage (browned with onion before throwing in the crock) celery, sun dried tomatoes, wheat and spelt (an old variant of wheat) berries, wild rice, and beans (red beans, pink beans, adjuki beans, and anasazi beans), some wine, water and seasonings.

SoulBliss
09-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Lmills730, they were actually in my CSA (community supported agriculture) box this week, full of all organic, fresh from the farm food! The greens were very good, mild and not bitter at all.
There were mizuna greens too, so that's probably why they were as mild as they were.

http://www.bewiseranch.com/picklist.htm

Man, I would really be bummed if I had no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods nearby! :(

SoulBliss
09-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Kaplods, that sounds like a very hearty dish my acupuncturist would love!

lmills730
09-29-2007, 11:46 PM
I am bummed! Thank goodness for my mom tho, she sends my bf and I a HUGE 20-lb package of Trader Joes favorites to me bimonthly :)
Have u tried their Pesto salad dressing? Its my all time favorite :)

SoulBliss
09-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I am bummed! Thank goodness for my mom tho, she sends my bf and I a HUGE 20-lb package of Trader Joes favorites to me bimonthly :)
Have u tried their Pesto salad dressing? Its my all time favorite :)

Well, what a great care package! No, I haven't had the dressing because I'm vegan, so I just buy the fresh basil they sell and make pesto and other dressings homemade. :)

baffled111
10-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Wow, baffled!! That's amazing - making cheese and yeast, cool!

Yeast is magical; it just hangs out in the air waiting to be trapped by flour paste. :)

Try it: Mix 1 cup of flour (white, wheat, rye, it doesn't matter) and 1 cup of water in a plastic container and leave out (loosely covered) on your counter. Each day, add another 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water and mix it all together. After 4 or 5 days, the mix will start bubbling and growing and eventually you can use it as a sourdough starter for bread. It's magical. The best part is that the yeast in different parts of the country and different kitchens is completely different, so any bread I make is going to have a different flavor than any bread you make. Magic!

Also, making mozzarella is the easiest thing in the world. Check out http://www.cheesemaking.com/ (and the best part is that you can use the whey from making mozzarella to make ricotta. No waste!)

Spinymouse
10-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks Baffled -- I am going to try both of these, the yeast and the cheese.
I prefer to use goat dairy but it looks like I will need to find a goat-keeper to get some raw milk since the goat milk that is sold in the stores is ultra-pasteurized and according to your link, that won't work for mozzarella.

SoulBliss - thanks for the flour suggestions; I will confess that I lazed out and didn't make it yet; but I have the cooked butternut ready!
I did make a whole wheat crust pizza with about 10 different kinds of vegetables on it. All those funky greens from the CSA bag, and squash, carrots, radish, cauliflower.....they all go great on pizza. It's my favorite thing to make.

kate1970
10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
I am making "Puchero", its a spanish recipe that I have changed slightly to make it healthier. Its chicken, chickpeas, leeks, celery, turnips, carrots and potatoes all cooked together with a touch of fresh mint. Very yummy.

phantastica
10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
I made baba ganouj this week, using it to dip red, yellow and orange pepper strips in it for lunch!

So many great ideas .... puchero, cassoulet, umeboshi vinegar ... things I've never heard of!

WaterRat
10-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Wow, a great thred. I've been on vacation and suffering 3FC withdrawal all around. :)

Last night I made my favorite pasta sauce - finely chopped onions and zucchini, sauteed with a little olive oil, then a can of seasoned diced tomatoes, cook it all til it's thick and served over WW pasta or polenta, or brown rice..... Mushrooms are good in this too, but I didn't have any.

Spiny - I used to keep goats and the milk is really really good, as long as there's no male goat around. They smell, and the odor/flavor gets into the milk. I kept only females and took them to the "boys" to be bred at the appropriate time. :) Goats are really pretty easy and the little ones are tons of fun. I always bottle fed them to keep them manageable. The downside of course is you have to get goat-sitters/milkers if you want to travel.

phantastica
10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I made black-lentil minestrone, and cottage-cheese pancakes topped with apples sauteed in brown sugar and a little butter.

phantastica
10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm on a soup kick. I made a miso soup last night, and I'll be making a potato soup and a sauerkraut soup later this week. It's crock-pot season!

blue apples
10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
sorry...I deleted it because I had canned spinach and canned beans in the soups...not whole foods...oops!

onthetee
10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I made my own ricotta!

I have the kit, but I realized the milk I had was ultra-pasteurized, so I started searching and found this:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/print/000282.html

It is so yummy. I cannot stop picking at it.

I also made our pizza dough for make-your-own-pizza night, which we do most Fridays. Not whole foods, though. DH likes turkey pepperoni or turkey sausage on his. The kids and I have olives and green pepper and sometimes shrimp.

In the fridge, I have cookie dough waiting for us to make fall cookies tomorrow.

In the crockpot, I have a taco soup-like thing for lunch tomorrow.

Clearly, I have been in the kitchen a lot today.

Glory87
10-12-2007, 08:26 PM
I am making tacos! I am using Morningstar farm veggie crumbles, organic blue corn crispy tortillas, salsa, chopped kale, a little low fat cheese and a chopped roma tomato. On the side, I'm having fat free vegetarian refried black beans with a sprinkle of low fat cheese. I'm actually not sure if this counts as a whole foods meal or not (processed shells, crumbles, cheese, canned beans - but it is sooo delicious)!!

SoulBliss
10-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Everything sounds so good! (Coconut butternut soup! :drool: )

Hey Glory, your "processed foods" kick most other foods' @$$e$! :lol: I mean really, when the ingredient list contains 3 natural ingredients and you could have realistically made it at home from scratch, its pretty healthy in my book!

phantastica
10-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Glory, I was trying to figure out what to do with my Quorn crumbles. I think I'll make tacos out of them. Yours sound delicious!

Welcome, Blue Apples! I'm not completely "whole" either, but I find I feel so much better about myself when I make things myself.

I still doing soups, thinking about making something with brown beans this weekend.

Oh, and I made an amazing Italian salad dressing. I've never had any Italian dressing but the store-bought kind, and WOW. This homemade stuff tastes like a ray of sunshine in your mouth.

Does anybody have some good ideas on what to do with apples? A friend has a few apple trees and I have them coming out of my ears right now.

onthetee
10-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Does anybody have some good ideas on what to do with apples? A friend has a few apple trees and I have them coming out of my ears right now.

You could cook them down and freeze as applesauce. Then you will have nice, local apples for the winter!

Apple crisp always makes me happy.

Apple pancakes.

Apple muffins.

phantastica
10-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks, onthetree, I think I might try that! It would be nice to have local apple in the middle of winter. I made an apple crisp, but the only whole-foods aspects of it were the whole-wheat flour and the apples. I'm going to pack some of that up and drop it off for my mom.

I went to the farmers' market yesterday and got vegetables, vegetables, vegetables! I have relatives down there, so they always send me home with all kinds of freebies. I got hot peppers, eggplant, wild rice, bell peppers, olive oil, mushrooms, zucchini, swiss chard, mixed salad greens, homemade jalapeño jelly, and homemade raspberry jelly. I'll be cooking quite a bit this week!

bride2bethin
10-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Meditarrinian egg white omelet (i have a thing against yolk. a phobia, really. they scare the crap out of me) with feta, sundried tomatos, spinach, mozzerella, fresh pesto with basil and pine nuts and articoke hearts (yumyum) and curried lentil soup.

mandalinn82
10-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Yesterday I made spicy roasted pumpkin soup, garnished with pumpkin seeds I tossed in cayenne, chili powder, and a bit of brown sugar. Served with chicken, light chevre, and arugula panini.

Tonight - Red snapper broiled with chili and lime, roasted asparagus, and whole wheat couscous.

SarahJayne
10-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Well tonight was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I had a Shepard's Pie seasoning mix sitting around from when I ate more meat and it had to be used up.

So, instead of using the meat and normal limited veg I did the following in a pan with the seasoning mix:

onions
leeks
carrots
celery
little bit of cauliflower
a can of black eye peas

I cooked that as it said to on the seasoning pack which was just to simmer for like 5 minutes and then put it in an oven dish.

The mash on the top was all of the following boiled and mashed up:

Potato
Butternut Squash
Swede/rutabaga (different name in UK vs US)
tiny bit of marg and splash of milk

I put the mash on top of the veggie mixture and baked it in the oven for about 20 minutes.

I served it with a bunch of steamed kale.

It was rather yummy :)

phantastica
10-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Yum, what a great way to use the mix!

I made a meatloaf, baba ganouj (again), an apple crisp, and some roasted mixed vegetables over the weekend. Today's lunch was leftover meatloaf and a salad with a homemade Italian dressing.

rubberlegs
10-18-2007, 04:26 AM
Today I had leftover chicken cacciatore (onions/peppers/mushroom/tomatoes/garlic/seasoning) over ww pasta for lunch and for dinner I had Spanish bulgur with tofu (like Spanish rice but with bulgur) for dinner.

Tomorrow I'm making a veggie pizza with a zucchini/cornmeal crust and also a triple batch of hummus so that my cukes don't go bad.

LOVE THIS THREAD! :)

SarahJayne
10-18-2007, 05:32 AM
Lately I am just getting oddly happy about the colours of food together. There is something about this season and colours.

Last night I made a 'root veg' curry which was butternut squash, swede, carrots, green beans, chick peas, yellow pepper and mushrooms with a curry sauce and I had kale instead of rice. I got a weird pleasure out of seeing the oranges of the squash and carrots with the greens of the beans and kale.

Yes, I am odd.

Spinymouse
10-27-2007, 12:43 PM
I love trying new recipes! Today I am making a pumpkin lasagne. (whole wheat lasagna noodles) Besides pumpkin, it has kale and mushrooms; a bechamel sauce made with fresh sage, and it is in the oven right now. It smells like the best food in the universe.

Glory87
10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Wow - I would love to get that recipe, Spinymouse!

I think tonight will be leftover chili, but last night's dinner was pretty great. Steamed broccoli, oven-baked spiced purple potatoes and seared sesame ahi with a spicy dipping sauce. Yum!

rubberlegs
11-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Inside Out Egg Rolls
Saute 1 bag cabbage, 1 bag snow peas, onion, tofu, cabbage (add at end). Add garlic, ginger, chinese 5 spice, soy sauce. Yum.

zenor77
11-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Tonight I made baked Sweet Potato Salad (the dressing is LF yogurt with cilantro, lime juice, & scallion.)

I just got back from the store with parsnips, turnips, and some lovely butter cream potatoes, so I think I'll be making soup tomorrow. Maybe throw in some other veggies and some barley...

mandalinn82
11-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Ground turkey meatloaf, sweet potato spears, and brussels sprouts cooked in soy sauce and chicken stock. Oh it was SO good.

SoulBliss
11-14-2007, 12:21 AM
I made a quick stew with napa cabbage, red potatoes, yellow onions, young carrots, kidney beans, garlic, parsley, lemon peel, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, black pepper, nutritional yeast and water. My family had it with sprouted bread and extra virgin coconut oil. It was really satisfying. :)

Spinymouse
11-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I wasn't sure where to post but I wanted to say that although I haven't eaten meat in __________________??? I don't know for sure because it was a gradual thing, and I didn't eat it that frequently anyway, but it's been maybe almost a year now.
I was feeling kind of like doing something uncharacteristically holiday-like (I usually don't celebrate the holidays) so the day before TG I invited a couple of friends over for dinner. I knew they would want turkey.
I went against my normal habits. I had read The Yoga of Eating and the author's opinion that meat should be eaten rarely, it should be not cheap or easy to come by, it should have had a natural life, and it sould be treated with respect. It should be a special occasion anyway, to eat it.
I bought a fresh, organic, free-range turkey (it was definitely not cheap!).

The day after Thanksgiving, I picked this bird so clean of every little tiny piece of meat. I was determined to use the Whole Bird. It was almost sacramental, if you can think of picking at flesh in any way as being sacramental. It was like having depression-mentality of wanting to use every precious molecule, except it wasn't depression-mentality because that would have involved getting the cheapest turkey possible.
I used the carcass to make broth and picked, I swear, even 2 mm bits of meat off.
One big diet "rule" I broke, and I struggled with it, was what to do with the skin. I did not want to waste any of this precious animal. I used the skin. I pureed the deboned broth, which contained skin, in my Vita-Mix. It wasn't that I really like the skin but if you are going to make a big deal of eating this rare special thing (and I was, obviously, doing that) I didn't want to discard the skin. I was sort of "blessing" it, and its inclusion into the broth.
I don't know if I will ever do this sort of thing again. After the leftovers are gone I will go back to my vegetarian ways. Maybe until next year's TG.

SoulBliss
11-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Today I made penne arrabiatta with chickpeas and peas.

Later, I mashed potatoes with a homemade gravy, adding in peas and corn to the mix.

Next, I made an arugula pesto and a white bean "hummus". I made a sandwich using both as a spread on whole grain seeded sourdough. It was really good!

I also made a lovely soup with fresh herbs (oregano, sage and thyme), cayenne, zucchini, carrots, leeks, onions (spring and yellow), garlic, corn and kidney beans. The "stock" was the water from boiling the potatoes (potassium broth). I served it with nutritional yeast and umeboshi vinegar.

The soup and sandwich together made a wonderful meal.

I also had some fresh pineapple and dried mango, but didn't do anything special to them, I just had them as they were. :)

oombee
12-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Ohhh I just made the yummiest pesto I've ever had...I carmelized shallots, added bananas and toasted walnuts, tossed it with whole wheat pasta, and added chopped arugala and toasted walnuts..YYYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!