Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Need support for the weekend

I have done exceptionally well this week especially for not exercising. I found a new Dr to help with my neck and back problems. He is seeing me 3x a week and said no gym this week. Starting next week he will start putting my neck in traction. TOM is here as well which always causes me to gain. Heres the problem-Saturday is my grandmothers 80th BD party. The family is going all out with food, cake, dancing, etc. I have a very strong weekness to BD cake. If its the whipped icing I'll be ok if its the real deal the whole cake will be in serious trouble. I know I should plan in advance to allow myself a slice, but I dont need a slice. One slice will turn into 2 which will turn into my brining a plate of leftover cake home and I dont need to do that! I cant not see the cake b/c my 3yo will want some, so what do I do-Just stay strong and dont even try a taste? Any suggestions?
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #2  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I would suggest you not have any.....take with you something you CAN eat. Even if you have to go buy a reduced fat hostess chocolate cupcake, or somethinhg you know you can eat. Sorry, I dont know what else to offer, cause I bombed at the last bd party I went to. Good luck and be strong!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Hmmmm its a tough one, I would know that I would feel seriously deprived and end up bingeing if i told myself I wasnt allowed any. I think what I would do is have a slice, and then announce i was really full or then go and do some dancing or something. I often lie to myself like that, tell myself i must be full etc etc. Hope it works out, its a great sign your already planning for temptations!!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Yep, that is a tough one. I would leave it, personally - but that is just me. One thing you can do to help you is KNOW you are coming back here and telling us what YOUR CHOICE was. Maybe that alone will help you stay in control! Good luck!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

Maybe you could have just one slice. Then chew gum or brush your teeth after to change the taste in your mouth (this helps me when I am in situations that are hard) It gives my mouth something to do and another piece of cake would taste yucky after mint! Also tell someone at the party about how there is now way you can take home any cake! Good luck! Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/219/140

Height: 5'7''

Cara I completly feel your anxiety about this, weekends are my downfall, bd or not. I agree with mug, I would def bring something that cures that sweet tooth and I would as soon as the song is song just make sure everyone knows that you don't want cake and walk away and eat your "sweet thing" in private. It may sound a bit morbid but think how "sweet" the feeling will be to know that you conquered that cake.

I have found through trial and error on this journey that applesauce get rid of my sweet tooth so if I can have one I feel better and no harm done. Try to think of things that do the same for you.

Good luck Cara, I know you can do it, you have come this far, I am cheering for you!!!
Hope20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM   #7  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

If it were me, I would stay far, FAR away. But, if I seriously COULDN'T, I would tell someone that I am only having ONE small piece. That way I'll feel like they're watching to see if I'm going to hold strong, lol.

Good luck, and happy birthday to your grandmother!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi
I would suggest eating before you go, and then saying you are not hungry, if Bd cake is a trigger food for you, don't eat it, have a bottle of water in your hand, chew gum, or whatever . Just don't eat it.
Good luck
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

If it's something you truly can not control, that you just can't stop yourself at a very small portion, then I feel it's better to not start with it at all. Food is pleasurable. We take one bite, it tastes good, so naturally - WE WANT MORE. If you don't take that first bite, that you won't want more. You won't know what you're missing so to speak.

When the day is over and you've done without it, you will be so pleased with yourself. The more times you say no to something, the easier it gets the next time and then the next time.

You very rarely hear someone say, "Gosh, I'm so glad I blew my diet on all that cake. It was SUCH a good decision to eat all those excess calories."

Good luck. I'll be thinking about you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

The couple of times I've been in this position, I told myself I would allow a "planned indulgence" and have a small portion of whatever I thought I couldn't resist. On the day, I made sure I ate healthy prior to the event, with lots of protein and water. Twice now, when I faced the temptation, I realized I could live without it, and was able to pass. I didn't feel deprived because I had planned to allow it, but I felt powerful because in the end I felt stronger than the temptation. I don't know if this will always work, but maybe it will work for you too. If you do end up having a little, enjoy it, don't feel guilty, and don't have seconds or bring any home!
Just remember that the cake is not the reason for the celebration, your grandmother's wonderful long life is! And that it's all these small decisions that add up to determine our success or failure at healthy living.
Cake will always be there. If you don't have any now, maybe you'll have some next time - I have to play these stupid little mind games with myself. Hope this helps and good luck!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Yes, there are some foods we just can't have just one of. But my friend Heather has an interesting strategy, she doesn't say "no", she just says "later". If the bread basket is tempting her, she'll tell herself that she'll wait until the last piece (so there isn't more to have). This is pretty clever, because often, the meal will come or she'll get wrapped up in a conversation and won't even have it. But she isn't obsessing over it because she didn't say "no" to herself, she said "later" and later just never happened to come.

If when everyone was having cake, you said "I'm not ready for cake, I'll have some later" Then maybe later you'll have a piece, but likely there will be less left or they might put it away soon and this will help you with having just 1 slice. Or later might never come.

It's all in the mind anyway.

Last edited by Sandi; 09-21-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

Everyone will have a different opinion on this one. The final decision is yours and yours alone. If you can eat just a small portion go ahead. I cannot do that. Certain foods I stay away from and probably always will. I'm okay with that. You need to be okay with what you decide. For me, being healthy is much more important then eating something I know has no nutritional value. Good Luck.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Well, I may as well report in since Im home for the party. Luckily the cake was chocolate which I hate. So I had a mini wheat roll with a few slices of ham and a touch of mayo. I did drink a coke and had a handful of potato chips. Afterwards I ate 2 homemade macademia nut cookies. When it came time to serve the cake I dished out homemade ice cream. Out of normalcy I snuck a piece away for me that had a rose on it (something I always do) It sat beside me for about 30 minutes before I had time to eat it. I dished out a very small sampling of the different homemade ice creams (Bout a spoonful) and set down. My aunt came over and said just one piece (I had called her the night before to help me with it) I said yes just one piece. I cut the bottom 1/2 of the cake off since all I really like is the icing anyway and ate it very slow trying to savor the taste. About 1/2 done I realized I wasnt craving this and it was satisfying me. I realized I didnt WANT it so I put my spoon down and went to show my aunt how much I had. I threw away a lil more than 1/2 the cake. Im proud of myself, I think I did great! THanks for all the support and info.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

good for you!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

GREAT JOB!! You did so well - and YOU were the one in control, isn't that awesome???
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote