100 lb. Club - 101 plus, ways to make chicken

View Full Version : 101 plus, ways to make chicken

tolose85
09-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi All-- I think most will agree that while trying to lose weight, one tends to eat chicken as a main dish more often than not... At least I do. So I was thinking, If we can post 101 different ideas on how to prepare chicken, we'll have a variety of ways to chose from... I know we have some creative minds out there...

I'll start

1. Chicken Fajita minus the tortilla

This is a great dish to satisfy your mexican craving.. (Recipe for 1 serving)

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 onion
1/2 green pepper
2 TBSP salsa (your choice of spice..mild medium hot)
1/4 cup Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3 chives
1 dollop (2 tbsp) Fat Free Sour Cream

In a frying pan add chicken and about 1/2 C water. Boil water out, brown chicken add spices if desired. When chicken is done, cut into 1 inch size pieces. Add cut green pepper and onion, salsa and cook together for about 10 minutes on a simmer. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with Cheese let melt. Place on a (small) plate, add dollop of sour cream and garnish with chives.

SO YUMMY. All for about 300 calories!

YOUR TURN!

mandalinn82
09-19-2007, 07:18 PM
2. Chicken Roll-Ups (Fast and Easy!)
Makes 4 servings

4 pieces of chicken, 4 oz each, pounded into a roughly flat rectangle
3 laughing cow cheese wedges
2 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup arugula
1 bell pepper, cut into thin strips

In a small bowl, combine the laughing cow wedges and the mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread 1/4 of this mixture on one side of the pounded chicken breasts.

Layer 1/4 of the arugula on each piece of chicken, then stack 1/4 of the bell pepper strips at one of the ends of the piece. Roll the chicken, starting with the end that has the bell peppers, tightly, and place seam-side down on a glass baking dish.

350 degrees for 20-25 min, or until chicken is done...soooo good!

mandalinn82
09-19-2007, 07:21 PM
3. Lemon-thyme chicken:

In a large ziploc bag, marinate chicken pieces (I like breasts for this - the marinade helps them stay moist) in the following:

4 lemons - squeeze out juice, then throw squeezed halves into the bag as well.
2 shortish sprigs rosemary
3 sprigs thyme (note on both the rosemary and thyme - I usually roll these in my hands a bit to get the oils going)
6 cloves garlic, cracked and coarsely chopped.
1/2 cup fat free/low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp black pepper.

Toss in your chicken, let marinate at least 8 hours, up to 24 hours. This works on all chicken pieces (bone in, boneless, skin on, skinless, white meat, dark meat) and is AMAZING grilled. Perfect to bring to a BBQ!

phantastica
09-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Great idea! Here's my favorite chicken recipe - it's a slow-cooker one:

4. Salsa Chicken (originally from Weight Watchers, I think)

1 jar of salsa
4 or so boneless frozen chicken breasts

Put the chicken in a crock-pot, dump the salsa on top. Mix it up a little so the chicken is surrounded by salsa. Put it on low all day long, and when you come home you'll have dinner!

I serve it over brown rice or quinoa most of the time, but I also shred the chicken with the salsa and use it in tortillas, homemade nachos, etc.

I've also marinated the chicken first, with hot sauce and lime juice.

hellokitty81668
09-19-2007, 07:31 PM
5. I make this for the family
you will need :
1 whole chicken
1 garlic bulb
1 bunch of basil , rosemary
spices : italian seasoning, salt, pepper
I mix the garlic(minced) with chopped basil, rosemary salt, pepper and italian seasoning, I add olive oil and this mixture is rubbed on chicken and under chicken skin. Sometimes I rub in some papirika( to give it more color),
I bake this for about 1 hr and 30 minutes or so, and tada you have baked italian chicken, I have never tasted it,but the family likes it. You can bake a whole chicken and then do different things with the leftovers.. salads, quesidillas, burritos, ect..
cheryl

rockinrobin
09-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I love this idea.

6. Boiled Chicken and soup

1 appox. 3 lb chicken 1/4'd and skinned
1 large onion, peeled
4 stalks celery
2 parsnips, peeled
4 large carrots, peeled, and cut into chunks
2 small sweet potatoes
1 bunch dill
1 chicken boullion cube
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder and onion powder to taste - I use lots

Place chicken, onion, parsnips, and celery in an 8 quart pot. Fill almost all the way to the top with water. Bring to a boil. Use a large spoon to skim off the scum. Add the cube, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders. Simmer covered for about an hour. After an hour, add the sweet potatoes, bring back to a boil. In another 20 minutes add the carrots and the dill. Cook another 15 minutes.

Remove the dill and toss. You are now left with the most tender, tasty chicken and you should have about 4 quarts of chicken soup. I freeze the soup in containers. I first divide the carrots amongst the containers and shred some of the dark meat chicken into them as well. My kids and hubby eat the soup at another time. I get the chicken breast, sweet potatos and parsnips 2 x for lunch. :)

rockinrobin
09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
7. Lemon mushroom chicken

Saute a large diced onion in a non-stick pan with cooking spray. When browned, add a large can of mushrooms, brown further. Then add a few cloves of fresh crushed garlic. Push the onion/mushroom mixture off to the side. Take 4 boneless chicken breast that you have seasoned generously with garlic and onion powder. Brown on both sides. When browned, add the juice of one large lemon, about 1/4 cup of boiling water and some chopped parsley, fresh or dried. Simmer for about 5 minutes til cooked through.

Optional: You can add some wine to the mix as well.

melsfolly
09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
8. Southern Oven Fried Chicken (old WW recipe)

1 Cup Corn flakes, crushed
1/3 Cup Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Red Pepper
2 Egg Whites, slightly beaten
1/4 Cup Skim Milk
2 lbs. Skinless Chicken cut into strips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray cookie sheet with butter flavored cooking spray.
Mix corn flakes, flour, salt, & pepper in a bowl.
Mix egg whites and milk in small bowl.
Dip chicken into egg mixture and coat with corn flake mixture. Place on cookie sheet, and spray with more cooking spray.
Bake for 15 minutes then turn over strips (spray with more cooking spray)
Bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

Serves: 8
Per Serving: 138 Calories; 1 g Fat; 23 g Protein

rakel
09-19-2007, 08:40 PM
9. Rotisserie Chicken Enchiladas

This is a recipe from Publix Apron Simple Meals program -- takes about 40 minutes to prepare & serve. It tastes just as good as a restaurant! I really love making these -- and everybody loves them, so for those of you with families that like mexican food, you'll probably like these! You can also make smaller ones with smaller tortillas if you're watching your carbs. Also, this says to use Rotisserie style chicken, but I'm sure you could easily substitute for chicken breasts if you'd rather!

Ingredients
cooking spray
10–12 sprigs fresh cilantro (rinsed)
1 small tomato (rinsed)
1 chilled Deli rotisserie chicken
3/4 cup refried beans
2 (10-ounce) cans enchilada sauce
6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced black olives with jalapeño (drained) (I usually omit these!)
1 1/2 cups Mexican-blend cheese
aluminum foil

Steps
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. [I tend to just layer the bottom of my baking dish with foil...I don't really have very good bakeware :P] Chop cilantro coarsely, place in medium bowl. Chop tomato finely; set aside.
2. Remove meat of chicken from bones (discard skin and bones) and chop coarsely; add to cilantro (wash hands). Stir in beans and 1 can of the enchilada sauce.
3. Spoon chicken mixture equally into center of tortillas. Roll tortillas around filling and place, seam side down, in baking dish. Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce over enchiladas.
4. Sprinkle tomatoes, olives, and then cheese evenly over enchiladas. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.

Serve. (Makes 6 servings.) CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 300kcal; FAT 15g; CHOL 45mg; SODIUM 960mg; CARB 27g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 13g;
VIT A 20%; VIT C 10%; CALC 25%; IRON 10%

I am a little skeptical with these calorie counts, but I gave up trying to calculate it myself so I just use their numbers, though sometimes I end up getting 7 enchiladas instead of 6. It's pretty hearty and great with some fat free sour cream & guacamole (if you have some more calories to "spend")

Schmoodle
09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
10. Mediterannean Chicken with Artichokes

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2" pieces
2 T olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cups balsamic vinegar
1 pkg frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese

Heat half of olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, salting and peppering to taste. Remove chicken from skillet. Add remaining oil, onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook until onion is translucent. Add oregano and red pepper flakes, stir, and remove from skillet. Add vinegar to skillet and heat, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of skillet, and reducing vinegar until almost evaporated. Add artichoke hearts, broth, and water, then chicken and vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked and sauce is thickened. Serve with crumbled Feta on top.

4 servings
Nutrition per serving: 266 calories, 12 g fat, 31 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate

Pita09
09-19-2007, 10:25 PM
11. Chicken Florentine

(serves 2)

2 chicken breast cut in half
10 oz bag of frozen chopped spinach, cooked and well drained
4 to 5 fresh minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup of heavy cream or half and half ( I use fat free H&H and it's just as good)
1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
Small amount of oil for frying

Pour small amount of oil in bottom of heavy pan and fry chicken breast until golden brown on both sides. Remove from pan and add minced garlic. Cook for about a minute and add spinach, cream and parmesan. Mix well and lay chicken breast on top of creamed spinach and cover pan. Cook on low for additional 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Eat and enjoy.

SuchAPrettyFace
09-20-2007, 12:58 AM
12. SAPF's Chili Chicken

chili powder
chicken breasts

Rub chicken breasts with chili powder. Bake until juices run clear.

I like to serve with brown rice that is also seasoned with chili powder.

Gale02
09-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Ok, I must admit that when I first glanced at this thread I thought the title was "101 ways to make children"... I thought "wow, there are that many?!" :blush: Anyhow, moving on...

13. Crock Pot Sour Cream Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen
1 pint sour cream (I use low fat)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (I use the 98% ff stuff)
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
nonstick cooking spray

Spray your crockpot with cooking spray, otherwise you end up with glue on the bottom. Place chicken breasts in the crock pot. Mix sour cream, soup and soup mix and pour over chicken. Cook on low 6 hours. I serve it over brown rice.

This is a really onion-y recipe, so if you don't want that much onion flavor cut the soup mix to desired amount.

mandalinn82
09-20-2007, 01:43 AM
14. Chicken breasts with roasted tomatillo sauce (great when you can get fresh tomatillos....mmmmmmmm). This recipe is all about the sauce, which is smoky, a little spicy, and tangy. You can also mix this, along with some sauteed onions, garlic, and chopped tomato, into brown rice for mexican rice to serve alongside. Grilled zucchini makes a great side.

Roasted Tomatillo Sauce:
1 lb tomatillos, peeled and washed
6 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1 canned chipotle in adobo sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
Chicken broth, to thin

Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the peeled tomatillos n the sheet, toss to coat, and place in a 350 degree oven.

Roast 25 minutes, then add the garlic cloves to the pan and roast 15 minutes longer. Remove and cool.

In a food processor or blender, puree the roasted tomatillos and garlic, plus all other ingredients. If it seems too thick, add a splash of chicken broth until you get a sauce-like consistency.

Grill some chicken breasts (maybe sprinkled with a little chili powder and lime), and top with the sauce.

mandalinn82
09-20-2007, 01:58 AM
15. Baked Chicken Parmesan

4 pieces of chicken breast, 4 oz each, pounded thin
1/2 cup panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
1/4 cup regular italian style breadcrumbs
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 cup egg substitute
cooking spray and salt/pepper
1/2 cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese
1 1/3 cups homemade or bottled tomato sauce (no added fat preferred, to keep cal counts down)

Pound your chicken breast pieces to about 1/2 inch thickness. In a large, flat dish, combine both types of breadcrumbs, the flour, and the grated parmesan cheese. In a separate dish, mix the egg substitute with salt and pepper.

Dip the chicken pieces in the egg substitute and shake off the excess. Dredge to cover in the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet with a rack (a broiler pan works well for this - i recommend lining with aluminum foil to make cleanup easier). Spray the top of each chicken piece with cooking spray.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, or until breading is just beginning to brown. Top each piece with 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and return to oven 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, breading is browned, and cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and serve topped with 1/3 cup of the fat free spaghetti sauce.

The chicken and sauce is 294 cals, 8 fat, 21 carb, 34 protein, and 2 fiber.

I love this served on top of a 3/4 portion of whole wheat spaghetti, with some peppers and yellow onion sliced into strips and cooked tender in a bit of chicken broth - the whole meal is about 450 calories and its SO satisfying.

mandalinn82
09-20-2007, 02:29 AM
16. Lemon Chicken Pasta

1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 servings (about 3 cups dry, for what I use) whole wheat penne rigate, cooked according to package directions. You could also use bow-tie pasta.
2 lemons, zested (reserve zest - you use both the zest and juice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 zucchini, diced in 1/2 inch cubes
2 red bell peppers, cut in strips
1 head broccoli (cut off the flowerettes, discard the rest or save for some other purpose)
3 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp butter (i actually use a light, trans-fat free margarine in this, 60 cals per tbsp...nutrition is calculated on that)
2 cups low sodium chicken broth (you may need more or less depending on sauce consistency you want)
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or dried - 1tsp)
2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped (or dried - 1/2 tsp)
salt and pepper to taste
Cooking spray
1/4 cup fat free half and half

Season the chicken chunks with salt and pepper. Spray a large pan with cooking spray, heat to medium high, and cook chicken until done in pan. NOTE - do not move the chicken around a lot. This will let it get a nice golden brown crust.

While the chicken is cooking, start the sauce. In a small saucepan, melt the butter (or chosen substitute) over medium-low heat. When it is melted, mix in the flour, stirring constantly. Cook over med-low until mixture comes together nicely and starts to bubble around the edges a bit (you basically want to get rid of the raw flour taste...you're making a white roux). You want it to be lump free. Add in the garlic and mix gently. Slowly add in about half of the chicken broth and whisk constantly until all of the lumps are gone. Allow this to return to a simmer, at which point it will thicken. If the mixture starts getting too thick to be considered sauce-like, add more chicken broth and whisk.

Remove cooked chicken pieces, respray pan with cooking spray, and add all of the veggies in. Once the zucchini starts to brown slightly, add 1/3 cup chicken stock to the pan, cover tightly, and reduce heat to low. Veggies will simmer until crisp-tender, about 8-10 minutes. Lesson from experience - if your veggies are done before the sauce or pasta, remove the lid from the pan and remove from the heat...the steaming will slow down and you won't get veggie mush.

To the saucepan with your sauce, add the lemon zest, 1 tsp salt (or less to taste), 1/2 tsp pepper (more or less to taste), and the fresh or dried herbs. Combine these in and check the sauce consistency...each time it comes to a bubble it will get thicker, just add more broth as needed to get a spoon-coating sauce that isn't too thick. When in doubt, err on the thick side...there will still be some liquid left in the pan with the veggies, and the fat free half and half...you can always add more broth, you cannot take it out.

Into the pan with the veggies, add the cooked chicken and cooked pasta. Stir in the fat free half and half (this is optional but gives the sauce a nice "faux cream sauce" taste) and pour the sauce over the pasta, chicken, and veggies. Toss to combine.

Stats (large serving of pasta, chicken, veggies, and sauce - 1/4 of the recipe): 441 cals, 8 g fat, 63 g carbs (14 fiber), 39 g protein.

Kati
09-20-2007, 08:29 AM
17. Chicken Monteray (sp)

4 chicken breasts
1 cup corn
1 cup black beans
1/2 cup salsa
1 tsp taco seasoning
1 tsp or cube chicken boullion

place breasts in cooking pan (I use a glass brownie pan) mix seasonings and boullion with quarter cup water and pour over chicken, dump rest on top and spread salsa around. Cook covered until chicken is almost done then remove cover and stir a bit and finish cooking. (you can add some mozzerella at the lat moment to melt all over top)

To get this recipe in it's original form you can order it from almost any Travel Centers of America (TA) truck stop from their healthy menu Chicken Monteray (sp)

Marseille
09-20-2007, 09:55 AM
18. 2 Mustard Chicken

1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup Coarse-grained mustard (seeds are visible)

Coat both sides of 4 chicken breasts
Bake 30 mins at 375

rockinrobin
09-20-2007, 09:59 AM
19. Taco Chicken Salad

Boneless Chicken breast, which was marinated in a little Taco Seasoning. Either broil, or pan saute or grill. Cut up into slices.

Place on top of cut up romaine hearts, diced cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, red onions. Crumble 1/2 of a warm taco shell over it. Can add Taco sauce if desired.

dek6
09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
20. Crockpot Italian Dressing Chicken Breast

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Packet of Wishbone Italian Dressing Mix
1/4 cup of water.
Assorted Veggies

Put the chicken breast in the crockpot with your veggies. (I use carrots, celery, and broccoli)
mix packet of italian dressing with 1/4 cup water in a bowl and pour over the chicken and veggies. turn crockpot on high. cook for atleast 4 hours.

SO GOOD!!!!!! YUMMY!!!!

Pita09
09-20-2007, 01:19 PM
21. White chicken chili

SERVES 6

Ingredients
1 can (10 ounces) white chunk chicken
3 cups cooked white beans
1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium diced tomatoes
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium red pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Cayenne pepper, to taste
6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
6 ounces baked tortilla chips (about 65 chips)

Directions
In a large soup pot, add the chicken, beans, tomatoes and chicken broth. Cover and simmer over medium heat.

Meanwhile, spray a nonstick frying pan with cooking spray. Add the onions, peppers and garlic and saute until the vegetables are soft, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the onion and pepper mixture to the soup pot. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano and, as desired, cayenne pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until all the vegetables are soft.

Ladle into warmed bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 teaspoon cilantro. Serve with baked chips on the side (about 10 chips with each serving of chili).

mandalinn82
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
22. Greek Chicken Pitas
4 whole wheat pitas (I like Sahara brand - 140 cals each)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup english cucumber grated with peel, sprinkled with salt, and drained 2-3 hours between paper towels.
1 - 6oz container nonfat greek yogurt
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp fresh dill
1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red onion, cut into rings
Mixed greens
English cucumber (sliced)
Cooking spray

In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, drained salted cucumber, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. On a cutting board, sprinkle the finely minced garlic clove with a pinch of coarse/kosher/sea salt, and press together with the side of your cutting knife until you get garlic paste. Mix the garlic paste into the yogurt mixture, stir to combine, add dill and pepper to taste, and place in fridge, covered, for at least 2 hours or up to a day for flavors to meld.

Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. If you have a countertop grill, the next part is easy. First, spray your grill plates with cooking spray and grill the chicken until done. Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest. Next, grill the peppers and onions until the peppers are tender and slightly charred and the onions are beginning to caramelize. Remove to cutting board. Grill your pitas until they are warm and soft.

To assemble, chop the chicken and veggies into bite sized pieces and mix together. Cut each pita in half so you get 8 pita pockets. Fill each pita half with 1/8 of the chicken and veggie mixture. Add mixed greens and cucumber, and drizzle the cucumber yogurt sauce over the top.

Stats will depend on brand of pita, brand of yogurt, etc. Goes great with a side salad! The way I make this, a serving (2 pita halves, 4 oz chicken, 1/4 of the veggies, 1/4 of the sauce, 1/2 cup mixed greens, a few slices of cucumber) has stats as follows:

Cals - 317
Fat - 4 g
Protein - 32 g
Carbs - 39 g
Fiber - 6 g

Sheila53
09-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure I have 101 recipes in my notebook, but here's a particular favorite right now since I have lots of basil.

23. Lemon Basil Chicken

1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
1/2 c. chopped green onions
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
4 (6 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Aioli
1/4 c. finely chopped basil
2 Tbsp. low-fat mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. bottled minced garlic (I just use fresh)
1/2 tsp. olive oil

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to basil mixture, turning to coat. Heat a large nonstick skilled over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan, cook 8 min. on each side or until done. While chicken cooks, prepare aioli. combine 1/4 c. basil and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast and 1 Tbsp. aioli).

Cal 284, 10.3 g fat, 40.1 g. protein, 6.1 g carb, 1 g fiber

mandalinn82
09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
24. Spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast (this is a company-ready dish...looks fancy on the plate, but is perfectly on plan)

1 lb chicken breast (try to get two large (8 oz) breasts total)
8 cups spinach, raw
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
pinch nutmeg
4 laughing cow cheese wedges, original swiss flavor
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
cooking spray

Spray a large saute pan with cooking spray. Add the minced onion and garlic, and cook until vegetables start to soften. Add the chicken broth and spinach and cook until spinach is cooked through and wilted. Stir in the laughing cow wedges, parmesan, 1/2 tsp pepper, pinch of nutmeg, and salt to taste. Set aside to cool slightly.

Cut each of your chicken breasts so you have a nice pocket running lengthwise (ie, stick a paring knife into one of the ends of the breast and wiggle it around inside until you have a pocket, with a 1 inch opening at the end). Stuff each breast with half of the spinach mixture. Place in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, and season with salt/pepper to taste.

Bake in 375 degree oven 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and spinach internal temperature is at least 165 degrees in the center. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes.

Slice the chicken into 1 inch slices, so you get a nice round with the stuffing in the center. Arrange on plates.

I usually add a sauce of some kind to this (either a basic gravy made with chicken stock and some flour to thicken, or a "cream" sauce made similarly to the sauce for the lemon-chicken pasta, but made without the lemon/lemon zest and garlic, and by replacing half of the chicken stock for the recipe with skim milk). Without sauce, this dish has the following stats (1 serving = 1/4 of recipe):

Cals - 203
Fat - 6 g
Protein - 30 g
Carbs - 6 g
Fiber - 2 g

traci in training
09-20-2007, 06:51 PM
25. What a great idea! When we're done with chicken how about soups? And I make a lot of these already - the first one is my standy-by for Mexican food that won't put me off plan. Who needs a tortilla? And the rest of the family can put there's on a tortilla and everybody is happy!

Smothered Chicken

boneless skinless chicken breasts
Dale's marinade

marinade for at least two hours - even better after four

Slice thin - onions, green peppers, fresh mushrooms

Toss the chicken breasts on the grill and either saute the veggies in a tiny bit of olive oil on the stove or throw them in a foil pack on the grill. No fat needed on the grill. Either way - sprinkle on a little fresh Dale's while they're cooking.

Top the chicken breast with the veggies, sprinkle with shredded parmesean. If you need dairy for the day and you have the calories to spare, a nice slice of jack or provolone is yummy on here.

Don't forget to lick the plate!

MugCanDoIt
09-21-2007, 09:57 AM
26. Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry--yum

Ingredients:
boneless chicken breast
cabbage
brocolli
onions
bell peppers of all colors or what you like
mushrooms
water chestnuts

Saute cut up chicken breasts with pam spray and chicken broth. Saute chicken and let your pan get brown from the chicken, then pour some chicken broth into the skillet to get a brown broth from it. Add your vegetables and saute till tender. Serve over rice cooked in chicken broth. Yum!

kaplods
09-21-2007, 10:15 AM
27. Baked anything (including chicken)

Meat (boneless or bone-in chicken, beef, pork, fish) cut into serving-size pieces

dip (light mayo, or light creamy dressing such as ranch, or combo of light mayo and light sour cream)

seasonings to add to dip and/or coating (optional, any of the following :salt, pepper, garlic powder, taco seasoning, .... to dip only salsa, horseradish, mustard)

coating (dry plain or seasoned bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, panko, dry mashed potato flakes... or any combination of)

1. In a bowl or ziploc bag, mix dip base and any seasonings you want to add
(I use a ziploc and just mush the ingredients together). Add meat pieces. If you wish, you can put the meat back in the fridge for a 15 min to overnight in the dipping mixture to marinate).

2. Spray a baking pan or cookie sheet with a little cooking spray.

3. In a (different) shallow bowl or pan, mix coatings and any dry seasonings you want. Mix. Figure about 1/4 cup per piece of meat. I tend to add a little extra, just to be sure I have enough. No leftovers can be saved of this, so don't go too nuts.

4. Dip meat pieces in coating mix and coat on both sides. Place on your pan or cookie sheat.

5. (optional, I only do this if pieces of meat are very thin) Lightly spray tops of coated meat pieces with cooking spray.

6. Bake until meat is done at 375

thick cuts of pork, obviously take the longest - about 40 minutes
fish is usually done in 20 minutes or less

Cassie501107
09-21-2007, 12:36 PM
28. One of my FAVORITE ways to have chicken, and SO simple.

Throw salsa on some chicken breasts, and bake 'em at 350 degrees for a couple hours. YUM!

nicolen
09-21-2007, 04:45 PM
29. Schezuan style stir fry

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 - 2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 -2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 tablespoons soy sauce
dash Tabasco or similar (to taste)
1 - 2 carrots chopped into matchsticks
1/2 red pepper, chopped into strips
approx 1 cup mange tout or broccoli

heat oil in a wok or similar and add garlic and ginger and cook for a minute. Add chicken, and cook till chicken turns white. Add soy sauce, Tabasco, carrots and peppers and stirfry for around 3 minutes. Add mange tout or broccoli and stirfry another 2 - 3 minutes and serve.

Two very generous serves, or if more veges added, can serve up to 4.

phantastica
09-21-2007, 04:52 PM
30. Orange Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
6 oranges, juiced (or equivalent in OJ)
3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
ground black pepper, to taste

Hit the chicken fillets with a tenderizing mallet until they are slightly thinned out.
Put the orange juice, green onions and black pepper into a skillet over medium heat (not high heat, or the juice will burn and go bitter).
Poach the chicken in the juice mixture until it is cooked through - about 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the filets. Place the chicken on a serving plate and pour some of the juice mixture on top. Serve.

mandalinn82
09-21-2007, 05:27 PM
31. BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza
4 whole wheat (again, I prefer Sahara Brand) pitas
1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
1/2 cup bbq sauce (I use a splenda-sweetened variety because its soo much lower calorie)
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 c red onion, cut into very thin slices
1 can sliced black olives
1 cup broccoli, just the very tops, chopped finely (optional - but I love it)
Italian Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cooking spray

Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and bake or grill until cooked through. Set aside. You can use deli chicken breast for this also to save time, just get the equivalent of 1 lb raw, or 480 calories worth.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lay out the pitas on a cookie sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Alternately, if your kitchen has a pizza stone, place it in the oven to preheat and assemble the pizzas on a cutting board or other work surface.

First, spoon 2 tbsp of the sauce onto each pita, and spread with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle 1/8 c of mozzarella on top of each, then layer the chicken, onion, black olives, and broccoli. Add a pinch of italian seasoning on top of each pizza. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese (another 1/8 cup each).

Place in oven (or carefully transfer to pizza stone). Pizzas are done when the pita is crispy, the cheese is melted, and the toppings are heated through. This goes fabulously with a side salad.

Nutrition (made with Sahara whole wheat pita, reduced calorie bbq sauce)

384 cals
10 g fat
34 g carb
6 g fiber
39 g protein

kaplods
09-21-2007, 05:28 PM
32. Shortcut Thai Chicken Salad

(Shortcuts are used like bagged coleslaw mix and rotisserie chicken, but of course, you can take the longer route and shred your own cabbage and carrot, or cook some boneless chicken breasts if you want to).

Rotisserie Chicken from the deli, or leftover cooked chicken
(A little or a lot, doesn't matter, usually I use about 1.5 to 2 cups to make a very large salad. I also have used thinly sliced leftover steak in place of the chicken. That's great too)

1 bag coleslaw mix

1 bunch green onions/scallions trimmed, and sliced small (either on the diagonal or strait across, and try to buy nice ones so you can use a lot of the green)

1 small, single serving package, or a 3-4 tablespoons, of sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, cashews, or roasted peanuts (if I use cashews or peanuts, smash them into smaller bits with a meat mallet before opening the package -wrap in a towel first, so if the bag breaks you're not showered with nut bits)

1 bunch of cilantro, chopped fine (pull the leaves off the tough stems first. It doesn't matter if you get the tiny stems, but the center stems are tough)

optional - fresh mint and/or fresh basil leaves, chopped (roll leaves in a bunch and chop - I usually don't use these because they're hard to find in our area looking good enough at an affordable price. But when I can find them, it makes an impressive addition to the salad

also optional a package of "spring greens," "field grens," or "baby greens" (bright bits of small lettuces, spinaches, and endives)

Dressing
If you can find it in the grocery store you can use bottled fish sauce based dipping sauce for thai eggrolls. If not use another oriental bottled dressing that's low in calories, or here's an easy recipe

3 tbs peanut or canola oil
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar (white vinegar will be too sharp, but if you want to add a little water and more sweatener, it's ok in a pinch)
3 tbs fish sauce (this makes a great worcesteshire substitute in american dishes too)
1 tbs soy sauce
sweetener to taste (I use about 1 tbs of Splenda)

Mix (or open) dressing.
Toss dressing with all ingredients in a large bowl.

This dish was adapted from one that called for a brick of ramen noodles, crushed and added to the top of the salad with the nuts as a garnish, or mixed in right before serving, so they noodles would be crunchy. If you can find baked, not fried ramen or other low calorie crispy noodle, they're a nice touch, but not necessary. I never use them. This salad always gets rave reviews at potlucks.

AuntChuChu
09-21-2007, 05:55 PM
33. I place a whole chicken in the crock pot and cover it with light BBQ sauce. Let it cook for 3-4- hours, yum. Serve with green salad. It's a meal.

Schmoodle
09-21-2007, 07:53 PM
34. Quick Chicken Minestrone
Poach 12 oz chicken breast in 3 – 4 cups chicken broth. Remove chicken from broth and cut up/remove from bones.
Add back to pot with:
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
1 medium onion, chopped
15 oz can kidney beans
15 oz can italian stewed tomatoes
½ cup small pasta (tubetti or other)
salt, pepper, basil, thyme, goya adobo
Simmer until pasta is soft.

35. Poor Folks' Soup
Simmer chicken pieces in salted water to cover about 40 minutes until tender. Pick meat and return to stock. Add 1 cup chopped cabbage, 1 potato cut up, 1 pkg frozen limas. Cook 20 minutes. Add tomato something (sauce, canned tomatoes, fresh, just enough to turn broth orange). Simmer 15 minutes.

kaplods
09-21-2007, 08:29 PM
35. Cola Chicken

Chicken pieces (lean pork also works well)
11/2 cup catsup
sliced onion and bell pepper (optional)
1 can diet cola (better if sweetened with something other than aspartame, because it breaks down with prolonged heat, but it doesn't cook long enough to be a problem)

Bake or simmer on stovetop until meat is cooked thoroughly, and tender.

variations:
instead of catsup, use bbq sauce or terriyaki sauce
instead of cola, use cherry cola, doctor pepper, orange, ginger ale...

rockinrobin
09-22-2007, 05:18 AM
36. Chicken with portabello mushrooms served with Spaghetti squash - this is good enough for company

The amounts vary, depending on how many you are cooking for.

-Boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
-a large onion, sliced
-portobello mushroom caps, sliced
-thinly sliced peppers (optional)
-about 4 or 5, according to your likes, fresh garlic cloves, crushed
-jarred fat free marinara sauce
-Spaghetti squash, cooked in the oven til tender.

Brown the onion and peppers (if using) in cooking spray in a large, non-stick skillet. When browned add the mushrooms and garlic. Brown further. Remove to a bowl. Now brown the chicken breast strips. When browned return veggies back to the pan. Add the cooked squash, some marinara sauce, appox. 1/2 cup, some pepper and oregano if you like. Mix togethe and heat through.

melsfolly
09-22-2007, 05:53 AM
37. Crockpot Pineapple Chicken

6 chicken breast halves without skin
dash of pepper
paprika to taste
20 oz can pineapple chunks, drained
2 T Dijon mustard
2 T soy sauce
1 garlic clove minced

Arrange chicken in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle with pepper and paprika. In a small bowl combine pineapple, mustard and soy sauce. Pour over chicken. Add minced garlic. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours or high 3-4 hours. Makes 6 serving.

Per Serving: 194 Calories; 2g Fat; 28g Protein; 1g Fiber.

Schmoodle
09-22-2007, 08:48 AM
38. Roast Chicken with Grape and Bleu Cheese Salad

2 small heads Boston or Bibb lettuce, torn into pieces
4 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 cups (about 1/2 lb) green grapes, halved
3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T white wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
4 roasted chicken breast halves, meat thickly sliced

In large bowl, combine lettuce, celery, onion, grapes, and blue cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Serve salad with vinaigrette. Serves 4 - 6.

Note: the original recipe called for rotisserie chicken, but I used grilled chicken breasts and I also used bottled vinaigrette.

40. My grandmother's Chicken Salad

Stew a whole chicken, cool, pick meat off of bones, and chop into small pieces (the smaller the better). Finely chop a few stalks of celery and add to chicken. Mix with mayonnaise to desired consistency (Reduced fat works fine), salt and pepper, a big splash of cider vinegar, and a spoonful of sugar or sugar substitute.

This is so fun! I'm going to try to come up with more, and when we get to 101, I'm going to cut and paste into a big chicken cookbook!

phantastica
09-22-2007, 12:40 PM
39. Cider Vinegar Chicken

Ingredients
6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
5 teaspoons garlic salt
1 cup cider vinegar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place chicken breasts in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic salt, then pour vinegar over all.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through, and juices run clear.

phantastica
09-22-2007, 12:46 PM
0.5 cup uncooked white rice
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cut into cubes
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 lime

Combine rice and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.

Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Cook chicken, bell pepper, onion, chili powder and garlic powder 5 minutes, stirring often. Pour in broth and corn. Stir in 1 cup cooked rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with lime wedges.

(and actually, I always keep the rice/pasta and soup separate until right before serving, because for whatever reason if I store them together the grain soaks up all the moisture and it turns out like a casserole with bloated pasta/rice :( )

kristinaferina
09-23-2007, 08:29 PM
41. Love this idea!!

Rottisserie chicken in the crock pot

One roaster chicken
seasoning

Place 3-4 balls of aluminum foil in the bottom of the crock pot.
Season chicken
Place chicken on foil
Cook on low for about 6 hours

The chicken is so tender and moist, it practically falls off the bone. Great for a meal that night and then leftovers can go on salads or sandwiches.

Toss the carcass in some water with some veggies and make some soup!

Eves
09-24-2007, 01:16 PM
42. Healthy Escabeche

This is for two people.

1. Cut the chicken into smallish pieces that cook quickly.

2. Fry one medium red onion cut into strips, garlic to taste, add carrots sliced lengthwise.

3. When the onions are white add in half a cup of white or red vinegar, some lemon, pepper, cumin, and laurel leaves, salt to taste (I don`t add any). Add chicken and cover.

4. Cook until chicken is done.

It`s also really tasty with tuna.

Sheila53
09-24-2007, 02:46 PM
43. Cheesy Chicken Biscuit Cups

Serves 5 (2 each)
1 (7.5 oz.) can of refrigerated homestyle or buttermilk biscuits
1 cup (5 oz.) diced chicken breast
1 (10 1/2 oz.) can healthy request cream of chicken soup
scant 2/3 cup (2 1/2 oz) shredded kraft reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes ( or other seasonsings like oregano and basil)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Separate biscuits and place each biscuit in a cup of an ungreased 12-hole muffin pan, pressing dough up sides to edge of cup. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, chicken soup, cheddar cheese, parsley flakes, and black pepper. Mix well to combine. Evenly spoon chicken mixture into prepared biscuit cups. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Place muffin pan on a wire rack and let set for 2-3 minutes. Serve at once.

Per serving: 230 calories, 6 gm fat, 2 gm fiber. Points per serving : 5
Serving size - 2 each.

Great kid food!

Sheila53
09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
44. Crockpot Cranberry Chicken
Serves 8
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
16 ozs cranberry sauce -- whole or jelly
8 oz. fat-free French salad dressing -- or Catalina
1 pkt onion soup mix -- optional
Spray the crockpot with Pam. Mix together all ingredients in crockpot except for the chicken, then add the chicken and mix to coat with the sauce. Cook for 6-8 hours on LOW.

Per serving: 214 calories, 1g fat (trace sat. fat), 1g fiber

Sheila53
09-24-2007, 02:48 PM
45. Raspberry Chicken

1 t vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 t minced fresh or 1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t salt, divided
4 (4 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/4 t black pepper

1. heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; saute' 5 minutes. Sprinkle thyme and 1/4 t salt over chicken. Add chicken to pan; saute' 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.

2. Reduce heat to medium. Add 1/4 t salt, preserves, vinegar, and pepper to pan, stirring constantly until preserves melt. Spoon sauce over chicken, and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings (1 breast and 2 T of sauce)

nutritional info:
calories: 213
fat: 2.6 g
protein: 26.5 g
carb: 20.1 g
fiber: .6 g
cholestrol: 66 mg

Sheila53
09-24-2007, 02:49 PM
46. GREEK CHICKEN

4 (4 ounce) chicken breasts halves
Cooking spray
1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, drained (I used the whole can w juice)
1/4 cup sliced olives
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled

1. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat chicken with cooking spray; place in pan. Cook 3 min. on each side or until browned. Add garlic; saute 1 minute.
2. Reduce heat to medium; add tomatoes, olives, and pepper. Cook 10-15 min. or until the chicken is done.
3. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with feta cheese.
Yield: 4 servings, (1 chicken breast and 1/3 cup sauce per serving).

Cal - 226, Carb - 11.8, Fat - 5.3g, Fiber - 1.6g, Protein - 32.6g, Cholesterol - 73mg, Sodium - 971mg, Calcium - 153mg, Iron - 2.7mg.

Sheila53
09-24-2007, 02:49 PM
47. Sesame Chicken

2 teaspoons sesame seeds
4 4-ounce skinned, boned chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Nonstick Cooking Spray

1. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add sesame seeds, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until seeds are toasted. Remove seeds, set aside.

2. Place chicken breast halves between two sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to ¼-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.

3. Coat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken, cook 3 minutes on each side or until chicken is lightly browned.

4. Combine toasted sesame seeds, honey, soy sauce and ginger; pour over chicken, cook 1 additional minute, turning chicken to coat with sauce. Serve sauce over chicken. Yield: 4 servings.

Serve with rice and steamed broccoli or on hoagie rolls with lettuce and tomatoes for a hearty sandwich.

PER SERVING: 170 calories; 9.6g carbohydrates; 2.3g fat (0.5g saturated); 0.0g fiber; 27.0g protein; 66mg cholesterol; 317mg sodium; 16mg calcium; 1.1mg iron

Sheila53
09-24-2007, 02:50 PM
48. Garlic - Lime Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 5 oz each)
½ C soy sauce
¼ C lime juice
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp black pepper

Preparation:
Place chicken in a plastic bag or a flat, shallow dish. Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over chicken. Make sure all the breasts are well-coated on both sides. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, turning breasts occasionally.
Drain chicken; discard leftover marinade. Coat the inside of a nonstick frying pan with cooking spray (such as Pam®) and heat the pan over medium. Add chicken and cook about 6 minutes on each side.

Serves: 4

Sheila53
09-24-2007, 02:51 PM
49. HONEY GINGER CRUSTED CHICKEN

4 Small Boneless Chicken breasts ( 3 oz each)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon orange juice
½ teaspoon ground or fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Dash red pepper ( optional) I added for a little zip
3/3 cup cornflakes ( crushed about 1/3 cup)
½ dried parsley flakes

1. Rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towels
2. Spray shallow baking pan with non stick cooking spray and place breasts in pan
3. In small bowl combine honey, orange juice, black pepper, red pepper and Mix
4. Brush honey mixture over chicken breasts
5. In another bowl combine corn flakes and parsley then sprinkle mixture over chicken to coat and cover. I actually rolled the top of the chicken into mixture for best cover.
6. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 18 – 20 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink in center. Makes 4 servings

rockinrobin
09-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Sheila, Sheila, Sheila - Wow, Wow, Wow...... Those all sound soooo good. One better then the next. I am definitely going to try a few of those out. I like the sound of the raspberry one. I think I will try the reduced sugar preserves. Yumm. And the Sesame chicken - delish.

mandalinn82
09-24-2007, 03:48 PM
50. Warm Chicken and Asparagus Salad

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
12 cups mixed baby or field greens
1/4 cup dijon mustard, divided.
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 shallot, finely minced
1 tbsp champagne vinegar (white wine vinegar will work too)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup low sodium chicken broth, divided
1 tsp honey, or to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large ziptop bag, combine half of the dijon mustard, half of the chicken broth, the juice of the lemon, and 1 clove of the garlic. Add a pinch each of salt and pepper, shake to combine, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Lay out the asparagus and red pepper strips in a single layer, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. In the meantime, cook the chicken (you can bake it or grill it, just make sure it is cooked through).

While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, combine the other clove garlic, the shallot, the remaining dijon mustard, the italian seasoning, and the honey in a small bowl and whisk together. Add the champagne vinegar and whisk. Slowly whisk in chicken broth until dressing reaches desired consistency (it will be thin, but should still coat a lettuce leaf. To taste the dressing for seasonings, dip a lettuce leaf into it and sample).

To serve, place 1/4 of the greens on a large plate. Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces. Slice each asparagus spear roughly into thirds, and leave the thin pepper slices whole - arrange chicken, asparagus, and roasted peppers on the greens. Top with the dressing and serve.

sockmonkey70
09-24-2007, 03:52 PM
OK I have nothing to add, but I LOVE this thread. I am so tired of the same old boring chicken, and you girls have some great recipe ideas!! Could we please make it a sticky??

mandalinn82
09-24-2007, 04:44 PM
51. Chicken and White Bean Stew - a great 1 pot supper for winter. This can also be adapted for use in the crockpot, making it great if you're busy. Crockpot instructions at end of recipe.

1.5 cups small white beans, dried (mine are white navy beans and 70 cals per 1/4c dry)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch chunks
6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs rosemary
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, sliced into disks
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper
8 cups raw spinach, washed and stems trimmed
4 tbsp parmesan cheese, freshly grated

The night before you plan to serve the dish, place the dried beans in a pot and cover with at least 2-3 inches of water. Let sit overnight. Drain before using.

Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium high to high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts, brown on all sides, and remove (these don't need to be cooked through yet). Reduce heat to medium and add the onion and garlic. When veggies are cooked to translucent, add the soaked, drained beans, chicken broth, bay leaf, and rosemary. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until beans are almost tender, 45 minutes to an hour.

Add the chicken breast pieces, carrot, and celery to the pot. Cover again and simmer 20 minutes, until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Immediately before serving, wilt in the fresh spinach and stir to combine. Ladle stew into 4 large soup bowls and top each with a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese.

Crockpot directions: Follow recipe through browning chicken, allow to cool slightly. Place ingredients in crockpot as follows: beans, onions and garlic, carrots and celery, chicken breast pieces, herbs. Pour chicken broth over the top, cover, and cook on low up to 9 hours. Just before serving, wilt in the spinach, and serve topped with parmesan as in stovetop recipe.

Nutritionals:

Calories - 341
Fat - 8g
Protein - 41g
Carb - 45g
Fiber - 26g

rubberlegs
09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
:cheer: S-T-I-C-K-Y :cheer: STICKY! :cheer:

rockinrobin
09-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Mary, I am also enjoying this thread very much. Gretchen really came up with a GREAT idea here. I was actually thinking that when we're done with chicken, or sometime in the near future, to start 101 ways to make salad.

phantastica
09-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I'd like to see a thread like this for lentils, too.

I'm off to make the Taco Chicken Salad right now. :)

Marseille
09-25-2007, 12:45 AM
52. 4 chicken breasts
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 lemon, halved
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. paprika

Flatten garlic cloves, rub over chicken. Mix juice of lemon, olive oil, and spices and rub into chicken. Use remaining mixture to baste while baking at 400 degrees for about an hour.

Marseille
09-25-2007, 12:49 AM
53. 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can Rotel tomatoes, Italian flavored
1 tsp. olive oil
1 sm. bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 very small white onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt, fresh ground pepper and oregano to taste
1 tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in
1/4 cup warm water

Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Brown chicken on each side, about 2 minute per side. Add onions, pepper and garlic, saute about 2 minutes more. Add Rotel, including juice; cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until chicken is completely cooked, about 15 minutes. Uncover, return to boil. Gradually add cornstarch mixture until desired thickness occurs.

Marseille
09-25-2007, 12:51 AM
54. In a large saucepan, saute:

1 chopped medium onion (about 1 cup) and
2 minced garlic cloves (about 2 tsps) in
a spritz of olive oil cooking spray
over low heat for 5 minutes until onion is softened.

Add one 4 ounce can green chiles -- chopped
a 15-ounce can italian-style stewed tomatoes (chopped and with their own juice)
4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp lemon pepper
2 tsps worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp hot sauce.
Simmer for 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine 4 tbsp flour with 1/2 cup water and whisk into soup. Bring the soup back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes.

Simmer for 5 minutes.

Marseille
09-25-2007, 12:54 AM
55. 8 chicken pieces (thighs and legs)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup (6-oz can) crushed tomato paste
1 chopped onion
1 Tbsp crushed ginger
1/2 Tbsp crushed garlic
1 Tbsp Garam Masala mix
(crushed mixture of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, coriander and black pepper,
found in most Indian grocery store)
1 Tbsp chili powder or chile sauce
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a shallow glass baking pan. Slash meaty parts of the chicken 2-3 times. Pour soy sauce and and set aside.

Chop onions into chunks. In a blender or processor, put onions and all the other ingredients (except chicken). Process into a puree. Pour over chicken and if time permits, refrigerate for 1-2 hours to absorb the flavor.

OVEN: Preheat oven to 375F. Put chicken in oven and cook uncovered 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350F and cook covered 20 more minutes or until chick is tender.

Marseille
09-25-2007, 12:57 AM
56. 2 Chicken Breasts finely sliced
Enough flour to coat the chicken slices
Salt and Pepper
1/2 Cucumber finely sliced length ways
2 Peppers finely sliced
1 Red Onion finely sliced
6 Radishes finely sliced
The juice of 1 Lime
3 tablespoons of Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Teaspoon of sesame oil
2 Cloves of Garlic very finely chopped
Half a red chili very finely chopped
Thumb sized piece of ginger peeled and very finely chopped

Mix the flour with salt and pepper and coat the thinly sliced chicken. Fry them in a very hot pan with vegetable oil until nice and brown, leave to the side.
In a large bowl, combine the lime juice, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, chili, and ginger. Add to the bowl, the cucumber, radish, red onion and red pepper. Mix the all the ingredients together in the spicy dressing.

Serve the spicy cucumber salad with the chicken strips on top and enjoy!

Schmoodle
09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Chicken and Vegetables in Spicy Peanut Sauce

1lb. chicken breast, cut in cubes
1/4 cup mild to hot picante sauce or salsa
1 T mild to hot curry powder
1 T peanut or corn oil
1 med onion, chopped
3 cups small broccoli florets
1 cup cubed red bell pepper
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 4 oz can chopped mild green chilis, drained
3 T smooth peanut butter
2 T lite soy sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups hot cooked brown or white rice

1. Stir together chicken, picante sauce, and curry powder and let stand a few minutes.
2. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and onion. Stir and cook 4 - 5 minutes. Put into bowl and reserve.
3. Add broccoli, bell pepper, and 1/4 cup water to skillet. Stir and cook 3 - 4 minutes.
4. Mix tomato sauce, chilies, peanut butter, and soy sauce.
5. Return chicken mixture to skillet and add sauce. Cook until hot, adding salt and pepper to taste. Thin sauce with water if necessary.
6. Serve spooned over the rice.

Schmoodle
09-25-2007, 06:31 PM
58. Chicken, Eggplant, and Bell Pepper Skillet

1 lb.chicken breast cubes, cooked
1 small onion, chopped
3 T lite soy sauce
1 T chili paste with garlic
2 T peanut or canola oil, divided
1 eggplant, peeled and cut in chunks
1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and cut in chunks
1 T cornstarch combined with 1/3 cup cold water
2 cups hot cooked brown or white rice

1. Stir together chicken, onion, 1 T of the soy sauce, and hot chili paste and let stand a few minutes.

2. Heat 1 T oil in skillet. Add eggplant, the remaining 2 T soy sauce, and 2 T water. cook, stirring for 3 minutes, adding more water if too dry.

3. Add bell pepper and continue cooking 1 minute longer. Turn out vegetables into bowl and reserve.

4. Add remaining oil to pan along with chicken mixture and cook 4 - 5 minutes.

5. Return vegetables to pan. Stir in cornstarch mixture adn continue cooking until hot through. Serve over rice.

Sheila53
09-26-2007, 01:09 PM
59. A Good Chicken Dish That Sheila Made For Dinner the Other Night

Make this pesto:

PESTO WITH CHICKEN BROTH

Ingredients
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

Preparation
Combine all ingredients in a food processor (I used a blender); process until smooth.

Yield
3/4 cup (serving size: 2 tablespoons)

Nutritional Information for the Pesto
CALORIES 54(75% from fat); FAT 4.5g (sat 1.2g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 2.4g; CHOLESTEROL 4mg; CALCIUM 74mg; SODIUM 279mg; FIBER 0.7g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 1.2g

Marinate some chicken in lemon juice, fresh basil and some white wine vinegar for about 20 min. Grill. Slice or chop the cooked chicken.

Roast some vegetables--I used green pepper, red pepper, onion, summer squash and mushrooms.

Make some whole wheat spaghetti.

Combine the pasta, roasted veggies and chicken, and pour the pesto over them. Toss and enjoy! Sounds kind of difficult, but it was really easy to do, and used up a bunch of stuff from the garden.

Schmoodle
09-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Bump! We've got to get busy here, if we're going to make 101!
Here's 60.

Curried Chicken and Peanut Soup

1 cup dry-roasted unsalted or salted peanuts
5 cups chicken broth
2 large bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1/4 cup uncooked basmati rice
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
12 baby carrots
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 T milk curry powder
1 1/2 dried thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
S&P to taste

1. Coarsely chop peanuts in food processor.
2. In slow cooker, combine peanuts, broth, chicken, cabbage, rice, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, curry powder, thyme, and cumin.
3. Cover and cook on high 1 hour. Reduce heat and cook 4 - 5 hours on low. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Remove chicken , cool, cut meat into pieces, and return to pot.

I'll be back later with a couple more. Then I may go grab some off the SBD recipes.

Schmoodle
09-28-2007, 09:47 PM
What about doing:
Soup, shrimp/fish, salad, eggs?

61. Chicken-Broccoli Pasta Salad
3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 tsp poultry seasoning
salt to taste
3 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut in pieces
5 cups small broccoli florets (or mixture of broccoli/cauliflower)
1 cup chopped red cabbage
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cook pasta and cool under running water.
Whisk together mayo, buttermilk, poultry seasoning, and salt. Stir in chicken, vegetables, nuts, and pasta.

phantastica
09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 t ground cinnamon
2 T Italian-style seasoning
1.5 t garlic powder
3 t salt
1 t ground black pepper

Directions
2. Place chicken in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with ground cinnamon, seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. (Note: You can be liberal with the seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper; however, the cinnamon should only be a
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.

phantastica
09-29-2007, 12:50 PM
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 c soy sauce
0.5 c vinegar
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 (8 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained

Directions
2. Place chicken in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour soy sauce and vinegar over chicken, then sprinkle with bell pepper and top with water chestnuts.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.

Lyn2007
09-29-2007, 07:26 PM
64. Chicken Broccoli Salad

Cut 1 head of broccoli into bite size pieces
chop 1/4 c red onion
Mix 3T red wine vinegar with 2T white sugar and 1 cup of Best Foods Lite mayo (or fat free mayo), whisk together and add a little black pepper
Mix broccoli, onions, and 1/2 cup of halved red seedless grapes. Toss in some cooked chicken breast chunks (however much you want). Mix well. Before serving add 1/2 c sunflower seeds and 3T of real bacon bits.

Lyn
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com

Lyn2007
09-29-2007, 07:30 PM
65. Chicken Asparagus Pasta
Cook a box of whole grain or Barilla Plus angel hair or spaghetti. Saute some crushed garlic, 1 c whole small button mushrooms, and 1 chopped fresh tomato in 1T olive oil. Steam a big handful of thin asparagus (stems trimmed, stalks cut into 1" pieces). Toss everything into the pasta. Add cooked chicken breast chunks. Add basil, salt, pepper to taste. Also very good topped with grated parmesan.

Lyn
My Blog:

Sheila53
09-29-2007, 08:31 PM
66. Barbecue Chicken

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 cup catsup
12 oz can diet cola

Put chicken in non-stick skillet. Pour catsup and diet cola over the top. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes. Uncover, turn up the heat and continue to cook until the sauce becomes thick and adheres to the chicken. Makes 4 servings

Sheila53
09-29-2007, 08:32 PM
67. ETHIOPIAN SPICY BRAISED CHICKEN

The meat does not have to be seared or browned first so your standing-in-front-of-the-stove time is greatly reduced.

1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup paprika
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper (less if you're a weenie)
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon cooking oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 chicken, cut up

Mix first ten ingredients in medium-sized bowl. Set aside. Fry the onions in the oil. Sprinkle with turmeric. Add onions to tomato sauce mixture. Place chicken pieces in large, heavy pot. Spoon all of the sauce over the chicken. Bring mixture to boil. Immediately reduce heat and cover. Stew for 45 minutes. Remove lid from pan, and allow chicken to cook for 15 more minutes.

Sheila53
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
68. Garlic-Stuffed Chicken

2 cups of water
8 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice

In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic; cook for
10 minutes. Drain garlic; peel and cut into thin slices. In a
small bowl, combine garlic, 1/4 cup of chopped parsley, lemon
peel, and salt. Mix well.

Cut chicken breasts in half, but not all the way. You want to
create a "pocket" in them. Place about 1 teaspoon of garlic
mixture between each chicken breast.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook
until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken; reduce heat
to medium.

Cover and cook until no longer pink in the center, about 10 to
12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Using paper towels,
wipe any fat from skillet.

Add remaining chopped parsley, broth, and lemon juice to the
pan. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Spoon mixture over
chicken.

Sheila53
09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
69. Oven Fried Chicken II

1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
2 drops hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 pounds chicken pieces, skinned
4 teaspoons canola oil

-Preheat oven to 400*F; spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
In a large shallow bowl, combine the buttermilk and the pepper sauce.
On a sheet of wax paper, combine the crumbs, flour, salt and pepper.
Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then dredge in the corn flake mixture coating completely.
Place chicken on the baking sheet,drizzle with the oil.
Bake 30 minutes, turn chicken over and bake 20 minutes longer or until cooked thru.
Per serving: 229 calories, 10gr. total fat, o gr. fiber, 11 gr. carb.

Sheila53
09-29-2007, 08:35 PM
70. Chicken Stroganoff - Crockpot Method

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
1 pound frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
16 oz. carton fat free sour cream
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

Put frozen chicken in bottom of crockpot. Mix soup, sour cream,
onion soup mix and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 7 hours.
Makes 6 servings. (serve it over rice or noodles)

SuchAPrettyFace
09-30-2007, 11:23 PM
69. Oven Fried Chicken II

1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
2 drops hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 pounds chicken pieces, skinned
4 teaspoons canola oil

-Preheat oven to 400*F; spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
In a large shallow bowl, combine the buttermilk and the pepper sauce.
On a sheet of wax paper, combine the crumbs, flour, salt and pepper.
Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then dredge in the corn flake mixture coating completely.
Place chicken on the baking sheet,drizzle with the oil.
Bake 30 minutes, turn chicken over and bake 20 minutes longer or until cooked thru.
Per serving: 229 calories, 10gr. total fat, o gr. fiber, 11 gr. carb.This sounds awesome!!! I think I am going to add mroe hot pepper sauce though. :devil:

SuchAPrettyFace
09-30-2007, 11:41 PM
71. Chicken Casserole

chicken breasts, 1 for each person you are feeding, either raw or thawed
1 can Healthy Requests or 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
a dollop of light mayo or miracle whip light
1 bag chopped broccoli (10 oz)
1-2 cans mushrooms (rinsed off or get the no-salt added kind)
cooked rice
a handful or 2 of lowfat cheddar cheese

Bake chicken breasts about 25 minutes (cover with foil) or until juices run clear. While they are cooking, make the rice in the microwave. Mix soup with dollop of mayo and pour into pot with rice. Heat rice and soup, adding mushrooms and bag of broccoli. When chicken is done, cut up into chunks and add to pot. At the very end, add a handful or two of shredded cheddar. Very easy & very good.

kaplods
10-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to print out an entire thread. When we get to 101, I'd love to print them all out for my recipe collection.

72. Asparagus chicken

Chicken pieces, boneless or bone in, to serve 4 - 6
1 lb (approximately) fresh or frozen asparagus (or Walmart's asparagus stir fry blend frozen vegetables)
1 can cream of asparagus soup
1 can of chicken broth, or water/bouillon (I use a soup base broth powder)
1 tsp worcestershire sauce or fish sauce (I always use viatnamese fish sauce in place of worcestershire. The flavor blends into the dish, and makes it richer tasting, but in no way fishy. It can be made from a lot of different seafoods, and the brands made frome squid are some of the best)
2 cloves of garlic minced (in the winter, I use dried minced garlic)
1 small jar of capers drained (optional)

Place chicken in roasting pan or baking dish (or even a crockpot if you reduce or eliminate the broth). Pour veggies around chicken. Mix everythig else except the capers in a bowl and use a wisk or fork to blend. Pour over the chicken and vegetables, and sprinkle on the drained capers. Bake until chicken pieces are cooked through.

MarinePrincess
10-01-2007, 06:43 AM
73. Chicken N'Cheesy Rice

1 boneless chicken breast per person you will be feeding
1 C. rice (brown or white...your choice)
1 can or 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used Green Giant in the jar, drained & rinsed)
Shredded cheddar to taste (my family loves dairy so our is always super cheesy)

1. Boil or microwave the rice and set aside.
2. Cook the chicken (bake, boil, skillet...doesn't matter) and shred or chop into bite size pieces.
3. Warm the mushrooms in a skillet and add the chicken and rice.
4. Melt cheese over the top and enjoy!

phantastica
10-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to print out an entire thread. When we get to 101, I'd love to print them all out for my recipe collection.

At the top of each page of the thread (in purple) there's a "Thread Tools". When you click it, there's a drop-down menu with a "Show Printable Version" option.

kaplods
10-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Cool, thanks!

mandalinn82
10-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Two dinners from one chicken...

74. Perfect Every Time Roast Chicken
1 whole chicken, cavity emptied, all visible fat removed, rinsed, patted dry
1 yellow onion, peeled and cut in quarters
1 lemon, cut in quarters
20 Sprays I can't believe its not butter spray (really. I didn't believe it until I tried it)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
Paprika

Place chicken in a roasting pan on a rack. Stuff the cavity with the lemon and onion, and close (I usually take a skewer and "sew" the cavity closed). Spray with the I Can't Believe Its Not Butter spray. In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and sprinkle liberally over the chicken, then rub into skin with your fingers. Lightly sprinkle the entire chicken with paprika. Roast in a 375 degree oven about an hour, until chicken is cooked through and a knife in the chicken thigh produces clear juices. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes, then carve the breast portion and serve skinless (you should get about 4 portions of breast meat, 3.5-4 oz each, from an average sized roasting chicken. The skin on this (though I try to avoid eating it) is AMAZINGLY crisp from the butter spray, and other folks who do eat the skin really enjoy it...its a great company meal.

The breast (skinless) has the same nutritional value as a cooked chicken breast normally would...its just moist and delicious from cooking skin-on.

75. Mexican Chicken Soup with Rice
Remains of chicken (skin, bones, and dark meat, plus the onion. REMOVE THE LEMON FROM THE CARCASS and discard)
2 carrots, cut into large chunks
2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks.
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
2 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp salt
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 pinch saffron (optional, but worth it)

1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
several shakes of cayenne pepper, to taste
1 can diced tomatoes (i like the reduced sodium)
1 can black beans (again, reduced sodium)
1/2 cup brown and wild rice blend
3 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes

Pick all meat from the chicken carcass, place in a small bowl, and refrigerate. You should get at least 1 cup.

Place all ingredients through the black pepper in a large stockpot. Add cold water to cover. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 hours, until broth is golden brown and fragrant. Allow to cool slightly and strain. Discard bones and vegetables and refrigerate the broth overnight.

Once broth is completely chilled, spoon off all fat from the top and return to stove. Bring to a simmer again, and periodically skim the broth with a ladle or strainer to remove any foamy bits or fat that floats to the top. Add the remaining seasonings and cook until slightly reduced. Taste the broth to ensure it is rich and slightly spicy. If it tastes watery, reduce on the stove further.

About an hour before you are ready to serve, add the rice and tomatoes to the simmering broth. Cook about 45 minutes, or until rice is nearly cooked. Add reserved chicken, zucchini, and black beans, and cook 5-10 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.

Ladle into bowls and serve with a tablespoon of fat free sour cream on the top.

Nutritionals on this are going to vary on how much chicken you have left, how well you skim the fat off the broth (i am obsessive about getting every last bit), etc, but it usually works out for me to be around 300 calories for 1/4 of the pot, which is a LARGE serving.

mandalinn82
10-02-2007, 02:21 PM
76. Chicken Cacciatore with Whole Wheat Pasta (from Prevention's "The Healthy Cook" cookbook)

1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 tsp dried italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes with italian herbs (with juice)
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 cups halved or quartered mushrooms
salt and ground black pepper
3 cups hot cooked whole wheat pasta

Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium heat. Season both sides of the chicken with italian seasoning and garlic powder, and cook over medium heat, turning once, for about 5 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside.

Add onions, green pepper, and garlic to the skillet and saute until the onions are tender, 5-8 min. Add the tomatoes with juice, wine, and mushrooms. Return the chicken to the skillet, bring to a simmer, and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

If the sauce is too thin, remove the chicken and set aside, and cook the sauce uncovered at a brisk simmer about 5 min, or until thick. Season sauce to taste with black pepper and salt. Serve the chicken and sauce over the cooked pasta.

Nutritionals taken from recipe
Makes 4 Servings:
Calories: 420
Fat: 5.2g
Protein: 46.3
Carbs: 41.6
Fiber: 5.2

mandalinn82
10-02-2007, 02:29 PM
77. Chicken Piccata with Rice (another Prevention "The Healthy Cook" recipe - haven't tried it but it looks good!)

2 tsp olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 1/4 cup low sodium/defatted chicken broth
1 1/2 cup quick-cooking brown rice
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 c minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
2 tbsp chopped toasted pine nuts or almonds

Coat a large skillet with the olive oil and warm over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Add the rice, broth, oregano, parsley, lemon juice, and capers. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat, let stand 5 min, and sprinkle with nuts before serving.

Makes 4 servings
Per Serving (again, from the cookbook)
Calories - 449
Fat - 9.8g
Protein - 33.6g
Carb - 56.3g
Fiber - 4.1g

mandalinn82
10-02-2007, 02:50 PM
78. Chicken Breasts with Apricot Sauce (adapted from the same Prevention cookbook)

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of all visible fat
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tsp canola oil
2 tbsp reduced sodium/defatted chicken broth
1/3 cup apricot all-fruit spread (I know you can get sugar free varieties too, would probably cut the cals a bit)
3 tbsp lime juice
pinch ground allspice
1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger

Rinse the chicken, pat dry, and lightly sprinkle with the cinnamon and cayenne. Set aside.

Add the oil to a large skillet and warm over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on high heat, or until browned on all sides.

Push the chicken to the side of the skillet. Add te broth, fruit spread, lime juice, allspice, and inger and mix well. Push the chicken back to the center of the skillet. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Makes 4 servings

Nutritionals, via FitDay
Calories: 178
Fat: 4 g
Carb: 14 g
Fiber: 0g
Protein: 21g

mandalinn82
10-02-2007, 06:13 PM
And I can't believe we got this far without a...

79. Classic Chicken Noodle Soup (I am totally pillaging the prevention book for recipes here)
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
5 1/4 cup defatted chicken broth
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup sliced carrots
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 in pieces
3 ounces no-yolk egg noodles
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Coat a large saucepan with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 3 min, or until onions are soft. Add the broth, celery, carrots, thyme dill, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat.

Add the chopped chicken and noodles and cook 8-10 minutes over medium heat until the chicken and noodles are tender.

4 Servings
Per serving:
218 calories, 2.9 g fat, 28.1 g protein, 19.3 g carb, 1.8 g fiber

If you are planning to store this, cook the noodles separately and add to soup just before serving. You could add lots of different veggies in (bell pepper, zucchini, some spinach maybe, a can of tomatoes...) and make a chicken vegetable soup. Or you could do my favorite and replace the noodles with a matzo ball.

royalsfan1
10-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Can this thread be made into a sticky note? It would be a shame for it to be lost in the pages of 3FC history!

Sheila53
10-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I've been out of town--I thought this would have gone to 101 already!! Since it hasn't, here's some more recipes:

80.Curried Chicken on Rice

20 ounces skinless chicken thighs -- large cubes
1 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion -- large dice
10 ounces russet potatoes
28 ounces canned tomatoes
1 tablespoon curry powder -- or to taste
salt & pepper to taste.
hot brown rice

-Heat large skillet, spray with Pam cooking spray; add oil.
-Add chicken pieces, season with salt & pepper & brown on all sides.
-Add the onion, stir & cook for about 3 minutes; add cubed potatoes, stir in curry powder.Cook & stir making sure vegies & chicken are coated with the curry powder.
-Add the canned tomatoes; bring to a boil, cover & let simmer for 30 minutes.
-If desired, thicken sauce with 1Tbsp. flour{or cornstarch} mixed with enough water to make a pourable smooth paste.
-Serve over hot cooked rice

81. Greek Lemon Chicken Thighs And Potatoes

Ingredients

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup fat-free chicken broth
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
2 Tbsp fresh oregano
1 serving cooking spray
1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thigh(s), about 8 thighs
1 pound uncooked new potatoes, cut in half -about 10 small potatoes
{can add one small onion cut into wedges}

Instructions

Place lemon juice, broth, oil, garlic and oregano in a large resealable plastic bag or medium glass bowl. Add chicken, seal bag or cover bowl, and marinate at least 2 hours or up to overnight in refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 350ºF
Coat a 9 X 11-inch pan with cooking spray.
Place chicken and marinade in pan; add potatoes.
Bake 60 minutes, or longer for softer potatoes;
Yields about 2 chicken thighs and 5 potato halves per serving.
*Note: You may substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts for the thighs but reduce the cooking time by 15 minutes.*

82.Mexican Chicken and Rice Dinner

16 ounces chicken breast, no skin, no bone
1 cup salsa
2 cups instant brown rice
1 cup corn
1 1/3 cups water

Spray large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat; add chicken. Cook four minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the skillet.

Add water and salsa; stir and bring to a boil.

Stir in rice and corn. Top with chicken; cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Serves 6.

83. Crockpot Mexican Chicken

2 cans niblets corn
2 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 packet taco seasoning
2 cans black beans-
1 jar chunky salsa
chopped fresh cilantro to taste
1 cup grated, low fat, sharp cheddar

Lightly spray crock with non-stick cooking spray.

Put corn in bottom of crockpot. Place chicken on top of corn. Sprinkle chicken with taco seasoning. Pour in Salsa. Pour beans over salsa. Cook on Low heat for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken pieces and dice. Return to crockpot and add cilantro. Before serving transfer to oven-proof serving dish and top with cheese. Put in oven to melt.

Lyn2007
10-08-2007, 03:41 PM
84. Simple Baked Chicken (my kids' favorite)

1 package of chicken pieces (can use thighs, drumsticks, quarters, breasts, whatever... leave the skin on, and take it off after you bake it)
Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Place all the chicken pieces in the dish, skin side up. Sprinkle on some salt, black pepper, onion powder, and parsley. Cover with lid and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until juices run clear when you poke the thickest piece with a fork.

It sounds really simple, and it is. It stays very moist and yummy and cooking with the skin on does not add much fat but makes it very tasty. Remove the skin before you eat it! Serve with brown rice and steamed veggies.

Lyn
TWENTY ONE pounds gone!
My Blog:

Sheila53
10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
85. Chicken and Peppers with Balsamic Vinegar
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
salt and pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, divided

Directions:

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and brown on both sides. Remove from heat, and set aside.

Heat remaining oil in the skillet over medium heat, and stir in the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, and onion. Cook about 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in the garlic, and cook and stir about 1 minute. Mix in the basil and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.

Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Stir in remaining balsamic vinegar just before serving.

Nutrition Info (per serving)
Calories 322 (48% from fat) | Fat 17.5g (sat 2.9g) | Cholesterol 72mg | Carbohydrate 13.1g | Fiber 2.2g | Protein 28.2g | Iron 2mg | Calcium 65mg

86. Baked Honey Mustard Chicken
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste, and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, basil, paprika, and parsley. Mix well. Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the chicken, and brush to cover.

Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and brush with the remaining 1/2 of the honey mustard mixture. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Info (per serving)
Calories 231 (8% from fat) | Fat 2.2g (sat 0.4g) | Cholesterol 68mg | Carbohydrate 25.3g | Fiber 0.9g | Protein 28.3g | Iron 2mg | Calcium 38mg

Schmoodle
10-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Glad to see this got bumped back up!

86. Chicken Breasts with Roasted Red Peppers and Olives
Spray Chicken Breasts with olive oil spray and sprinkle with pepper and paprika. Saute in pan or roast in oven.
While cooking, mix 3/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced, 12 olives, chopped, 2 tsp olive oil, 2 T sliced green onion, and 1 tsp dried basil. Spoon over cooked chicken.

Good over fish too!

katmeow
10-12-2007, 09:03 AM
This is SO easy and SO good. 1 8 oz block FF cream cheese. 1 package of dried roasted garlic italian dressing package (like Good Seasons). 1/4 cup water. Put in crock pot with 6 chicken breasts. Cook on low for 6 hours.

Makes yummo gravy. A little gravy goes a long way, so you don't have to count the entire recipe for gravy in your point count. Maybe just 2 T.

Sheila53
10-12-2007, 08:10 PM
88. Sesame Chicken & Vegetables

Makes 4 servings
Ingredients
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 tsp peanut oil
2 cups broccoli & cauliflower florets
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Heat a wok or large frying pan on
medium heat until drops of water "dance" when sprinkled into the wok or pan.
Put the peanut oil into the pan and swirl to coat the pan. Add broccoli and
cauliflower and stir fry until broccoli turns bright green. Add chicken and
stir fry until cooked. Cover pan and simmer for 5 minutes if vegetables are
not thoroughly cooked. Stir in teriyaki sauce and sesame oil and serve.

89. Root Beer Chicken

8 chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup Diet Root beer
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar twin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken pieces in the baking dish. Season with the salt and pepper. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until no pink remains in the chicken and the juices run clear.

In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; mix well and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes until reduced by half.

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Coat the chicken with the sauce and grill for 5 minutes per side, basting frequently with the remaining sauce. Serve with the remaining sauce for dipping.

90. Smothered Chicken and Barley
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon dried mint flakes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
6 (4-ounce) chicken thighs, skinned
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
6 tablespoons chopped green onions
1. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, and rub chicken with half of spice mixture.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 1 minute on each side or until chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
3. Recoat skillet with cooking spray; add chopped onion, bell pepper, and soy sauce. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned. Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice mixture, and stir well. Add chicken to skillet, nestling into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until chicken is done. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.

91. Crockpot Chicken Barley Soup
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup chicken breast, cooked and diced
1 cup barley
1 Onion, chopped
2 stalks Celery, chopped
3 Carrots, sliced
1 Bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon Dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on lowfor 4-6 hours or until the carrots are tender and the barley is soft. Serves 6.

93. Santa Fe Chicken
4 Servings

Ingredients:
MARINADE:
Juice from 3 limes
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2 whole breasts boneless, skinless chicken
1/4 cup white wine
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
GARNISH:
low-fat sour cream
1 lime, sliced into 6 thin slices
6 green onions
1/4 cup fresh salsa or Papaya Salsa
Instructions:
Mix together marinade ingredients in a bowl, stirring thoroughly. Pour
into a shallow baking pan and lay the chicken breasts in. Cover and
refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat the broiler. After 1 hour, when the
chicken has absorbed all the flavors of the marinade, pour in the
white wine. Broil the chicken under a medium flame for 8-10 minutes,
basting it with the juices to keep it moist. Transfer the chicken to
a platter and slice it at an angle. Garnish each piece with a little
of the pan juices, a dollop of low-fat sour cream,
slices of lime, and a green onion, as well as a dollop of salsa.

94. Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms

2 tsp canola oil
3 TBS balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 lb uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (four 4-oz pieces)
2 c mushrooms, small, halved
1/3 c chicken broth
1/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled

Heat 1 tsp oil in a nonstick skillet. In a medium bowl, mix 2 TBS vinegar, the mustard, and the garlic. Add chicken and turn to coat.

Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. Saute chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side*. Transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm.

Heat remaining tsp of oil in skillet. Saute mushrooms for 1 minute. Add broth, thyme and remaining TBS of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer.

Serve chicken topped with mushrooms.

Serves 4

95. Italian Stuffed Chicken

1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
3/4 cup minced onion, divided
1/4 cup (1 ounce) chopped prosciutto or lean smoked ham
1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
4 (4 ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 garlic clove, minced
Rosemary sprigs (optional)
Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup onion, and saute 4 minutes.
Combine onion, prosciutto, cheese, breadcrumbs, and 1 teaspoon rosemary in a bowl. Stir well; set aside.
Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff about 3 tablespoons onion mixture into each pocket.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from skillet. Set aside; keep warm.
Add 1/4 cup onion to skillet, and saute 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, broth, wine, and garlic, and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until reduced to 3/4 cup. Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce with chicken. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 3 tablespoons sauce
Calories 183 (21% from fat); fat 4.2g (sat 1.1g, mono 1.7g, poly 0.6g); protein 29.7g; carb 5g; fiber 0.7g; chol 71mg; iron 1.5mg; sodium 244mg; calc 49mg

96. Confetti Chicken

2 T fat free Italian Salad dressing
8 oz uncooked boneless chicken breast
1 large red pepper, chunked
1 large yellow pepper, chunked
1 sweet onion, chunked
3 teaspoons olive oil

Marinate the chicken in the dressing for 30 minutes.

Heat a nonstick pan with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and add the onions and peppers. Cook over high heat until tender (brown is good!). Remove the peppers and onions, add the rest of the oil and sautee the chicken until no longer pink (about 10 minutes on high). Return the peppers and onions - stir with the chicken until heated through.

Serve over 1 cup of black beans

97. Chicken Spaghetti Mexicana

1 1/2 c shredded cooked chicken breast (rotisserie works great)
large white onion, chopped
bell pepper, chopped
garlic, chopped
1/2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 eggplant, chopped
3/4 c fresh mushroom, sliced
sm can of black olives
sm can of tomato sauce (roasted garlic flavor, if possible)
1/2 jar light ragu tomato & basil, no sugar added (or make your own Core sauce)
salt, garlic powder & cayenne pepper to taste

Optional toppings:
ff sour cream
ff cheddar
ff mozzarella

Saute onion & bell pepper in Pam for a few minutes. Next add zucchini & eggplant & continue to brown. Once they are all beginning to soften, add chopped garlic, mushroom & black olives. Continue to sauté until all veggies are cooked down. You may add a LITTLE water at a time to prevent sticking. Add tomato sauce & let that reduce a bit, till you get almost a thick “paste”. Finally, add shredded chicken, ragu sauce (or your own homemade spaghetti sauce) & seasoning to your taste. Add about 1/2 cup of water or so & simmer for about 20 minutes. Watch it closely & add more water as needed. You’ll want to have it down to your desired consistency when cooked.

rubberlegs
10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I wonder who's going to make 101?
Whaddya say we try for 1001?

phantastica
10-15-2007, 07:56 AM
92. Slow-Cooked Garlic Chicken

4 skinned chicken breast halves
1 t. salt
2 t. paprika
2 t. lemon pepper
1 large onion, sliced
10 cloves garlic (1 medium), un-peeled

Mix together salt, pepper, and paprika. Rub all over meat side of chicken breast. Place onion in slow cooker. Place chicken breast, meat side up, on onion. Place garlic on chicken. Cover and cook on low in slow cooker for about 5 hours or until juices run clear.

phantastica
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
INGREDIENTS
* 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
* 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon dried basil
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and brown on both sides. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. Heat remaining oil in the skillet over medium heat, and stir in the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, and onion. Cook about 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in the garlic, and cook and stir about 1 minute. Mix in the basil and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.
3. Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Stir in remaining balsamic vinegar just before serving.

Sheila53
10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
99. Teriyaki Chicken Thighs

Serving size: 1 thigh

1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press or minced
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Combine the soy sauce, sugar, sherry, vinegar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and stir until the sugar dissolves. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, turning once, for 1 hour. The chicken can be marinated for up to 4 hours.
Heat the broiler to high. Arrange the chicken on a broiler pan skin side down and broil until brown and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and broil until almost cooked through, about 8 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and cook until the seeds turn golden brown and the chicken is done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 210
Carbohydrates 6 grams Total Fat 6 grams
Saturated Fat 1.5 grams Protein 31 grams
Fiber 0.2 grams Sodium 450 milligrams

100. Maple-Mustard Chicken Thighs

4 large bone-in chicken thighs, skins removed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons grainy French mustard
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Combine mustard, garlic, marjoram and maple syrup in a small bowl. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard mixture evenly on top of each chicken thigh, being careful to cover as much of the surface as possible to form a "crust." Arrange chicken in a glass baking dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until mustard mixture has formed a crust and is slightly hardened, and juices run clear when the chicken is pierced.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving Calories 260
Total fat 8g Saturated fat 1.5g
Monounsaturated fat 2g Polyunsaturated fat 2g
Cholesterol 115mg Sodium 840mg
Protein 29g Carbohydrates 17g

Okay, who's got 101??

tamaralynn
10-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I must really have a gutter-y mind. Each time I glance at the title of this topic, I keep seeing

"101 ways to make children".

wow.

I like sprinkling chicken breast with herbs and cooking it (w/o oil) on my foreman grill. Yum!

OR

Cook chicken breast brushed with olive oil on the BBQ and eat with salsa and low fat tex mex cheese mix.

phantastica
10-18-2007, 02:27 PM
from sheknows.com: Sure to be a kid (and adult) pleaser. The breading makes these nuggets better than any I've ever had!

Ingredients:
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs (plain or Italian)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. Combine chicken, melted margarine, and Worcestershire in a 1 quart freezer bag. Combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a second freezer bag. Tape the two bags together. Label and freeze.

To prepare for serving, thaw and remove the chicken pieces from the marinade. Shake them in the bread crumb bag to coat, a few at a time.

Preheat oven to 450. Arrange chicken on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 7-9 minutes or until no longer pink in the center.

Prep time: 20-30 minutes

Serves 4

Gale02
10-25-2007, 08:00 PM
bumping this up, these are great recipes!

Holyteror
10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
I copied and pasted these into a word document last night. they look yummy!

Lally
10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
SPICY GARLIC CHICKEN

4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast - cut into bite-sized pieces
6-8 cloves of garlic, minced (don't be scared! It mellows out!)
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
lots of crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup white vinegar
3 Tablespoons honey

In a wok, cook chicken over high heat until no longer pink. Add the minced garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes - stir-fry until fragrant. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, and honey, and continue to cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will reduce considerably, becoming almost syrupy, and the chicken will be nicely coated and begin to caramelize.

Serve over the rice of your choosing - I use long-grain brown. Serves 4-6.

Don't be turned off by the vinegar - combined with the soy sauce and honey, it makes a delicious savory sauce. The key is to cook the chicken until it's caramelized and glossy - the garlic mellows and sweetens a bit as it cooks, and the red pepper flakes give this a good kick. Enjoy! :)

Schmoodle
10-26-2007, 03:38 PM
What's next? Soup? Shrimp? Ground Turkey? Salads? Pulling out my recipes... I'm a recipe junkie!

Holyteror
10-26-2007, 10:12 PM
lol me too....i'm adding the latest one to my list :)

Marseille
10-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Chicken, Cranberry and Walnut salad

3 oz Chicken breast (cooked and diced)

12-15 dried cranberries

4 or 5 crushed walnuts

1 oz Light miracle whip or mayo

Mix everything together..

I used to buy this as the "South Beach" prepackaged meal at the grocery store until I decided it would be cheaper to make it myself.

Holyteror
10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
that actually sounds great for lunch :)

txangelgirl
10-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Holli's Chicken
-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
-Italian seasoning
-bag of low fat/skim mozz cheese (shredded)
-2 large red onions
-olive oil

Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with Italian seasoning and fire up on the grill. Meanwhile, slice up the red onions and sautee them in olive oil until almost transparent and a little brown on the edges. When chicken is done, take off the grill and cut into slices. Arrange slices on 4 plates, top each with 1/4 of the red onions and then sprinkle mozz cheese on top. Nuke each plate in the mw til the cheese is melted - soooooooo good!!!!!!!!

dek6
10-29-2007, 11:00 PM
The best chicken ever. So I was going through my weight watchers cookbook and I found this recipe for CHICKEN WITH APPLES AND CIDER!!!!!!
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot::carrot::carrot:
It was so good.

Recipe

makes 4 servings

3 tbsp butter
1 apple cored and sliced
1 tbsp brown sugar
four 4-oz skinless boneless chicken breast (thawed)
1/4 tspn cinnamon
1/4 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 cups hot cooked wide noodles

1. In large nonstick skillet, melt half the butter. Saute apple until lightly browned, about 5 min. Sprinle brown sugar: cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 3-5 min. Transfer to bowl.
2. Sprinkle chicken with cinnamon, salt, and pepper. In skillet, melt remaining butter. Saute chicken until brown, 4-5 min on each side. Transfer to a plate.
3. In skillet, cook onion, covered, until tender, 6-8 min; remove lid and stir in cider and vinegar. Reduce heat and simmer 2 min. Return chicken to skillet; simmer, spooning the sauce over the chicken, until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid is reduced by half, about 4-5 min.
4. Return the apples to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 min. Arrange noodles on platter; top with chicken and pour remaining apple mixture over top.

Per Serving: 287 Cal, 6g total fat, 1g sat fat, 76 mg Cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 34g total carbs, 3g dietary fiber, 24g protein, and 34 mg calcium.
6 weight watcher points.

xtrisaratops
10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Ooh!

Sara's Cheesy Pecan Chicken

This recipe feeds 2 people, but can me modified to feed as many or as few people as you need it to.

Take two boneless skinless chicken breasts and use a meat mallet and pound them down fairly thin. This makes them cook faster, and helps the marinade penetrate better.

Coat the chicken in a spicy brown mustard, and season to taste. Let marinade in the fridge for 4-6 hours.

I cook my chicken on the stove-top. The trick is to LEAVE THE CHICKEN ALONE once you get it in the pan; this helps it to form a sort of crust, and ensures that you don't lose half the mustard in the pan. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, then remove from the skillet.

Dice about 6 green onions and a handful of pecans. You want the pecans to be pretty well ground up, so that they go all through the sauce. Put the onions and the pecans in the same skillet and let them toast for a few minutes. I take the skillet off the heat for this so that I don't burn the nuts. After the pecans become fragrant, add 2 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese. I use the garlic and herb flavor, but you could use whatever. Allow the cheese to warm slightly, and then add either water or chicken stock to reach the desired sauce consistency. Let your sauce reduce down for a few minutes, then pour over the chicken.

If I have company coming, or in the event that I have a *gasp* date, I sometimes add white wine to the sauce instead of water or chicken stock.

Everyone in my family adores this dish, and it really doesn't take much effort to look together; but it does look showy on a plate, so you can pretend it took you lots of time and effort.

Holyteror
10-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Sounds great...I'm adding to my list :D

xtrisaratops
10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
It's REALLY tasty, and it always impresses.

As a side note, I also use that same sauce as a base for broccoli soup. Sooo good.

Holyteror
10-31-2007, 10:57 PM
ooh sounds good. I made one heck of a butternut squash soup the other night......even my husband ate it LOL and he's never eaten it before :)

RitzyFritz
11-09-2007, 05:09 PM
WOW!!! And to think some folks say chicken gets boring after awhile! These are wonderful sounding!! I cannot wait to try them!!! :carrot:

traci in training
11-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Needed a chicken idea for supper and I came looking for this thread. Just bumping it up to make it easier to find next time!

cupcake84
11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
wow im lovin these recipes

Lyn2007
01-06-2008, 07:23 PM
bumping this up so it doesnt get lost!!

KCWMU
01-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Any way we could get a sticky for this thread?

Holyteror
01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm chicken LOL

Beverlyjoy
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
A sticky note for this might be good. That's a good idea, KCWMU.

Bump!

okiechick
01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread.:hug: I made the apple cider one tonight (except I didn't have cider so I used orange juice :Dand added lots of stir fry veggies:D:D. It was good. My son is eating another bowl...he is 16 so he is picking out the veggies, but it beats his preference of PB&J or Mac-n-cheese.

Holyteror
01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
ooh that sounds yummy :)

vek
01-23-2008, 08:46 AM
I personaly have 2 different recipies.

1st one, I take the chicken breast and I grill it on George Foreman lean grill. All the grease and fat is leaking away in the trash tray.
http://www.dvo.com/Products/george-foreman-grill.jpg

2nd one, I take the chicken, remove the skin, put it in a tray, put a bag of frozen legumes in the same tray, a bit of black pepper, a bit of tomato juice, a bit of water and I put the tray in the oven at 425 for 1 hour.
That's all.

I know this is not fine cuisine, only 2 recipies for lazy people.:D

Schmoodle
01-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Thought I'd add this one I'm making for dinner tonight. Super yummy, the best healthy cream of broccoli soup recipe I've found. Easy too:

Cream of Broccoli Chicken Soup
1 T Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
8 oz neufchatel or lowfat cream cheese
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
3 cups broccoli, chopped
1 cup low fat cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
2/3 cup fat free half and half

In large saucepan, heat oil and add onions. Cook until translucent. Add broth and heat until boiling, stirring. Add chicken and broccoli; cook until broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Add cheeses and half and half. Reduce heat and cook another minute, stirring, to melt and incorporate cheese.

4 servings

txangelgirl
01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Hallo all! Being that I love to cook I thought I would add some of my faves....

Chicken Italiano
1st version:
take boneless skinless chicken breasts, and pound away with a marinating hammer thingy - if ya don't have one, stab it with a fork a lot of times all over on both sides. I find this makes it really tender and helps it absorb marinade much better. (ps anytime I talk about chicken, just let this part be a given :) ) Okie dokie, when you are done, put them in a ziploc and pour in a small bottle of fat free italian dressing. Next sprinkle in some italian seasoning. Zip closed, and let marinate in your fridge all day, or for 24 hours, but minimum 8 hours. (I do this before I leave for work) When it's time, grill them up on a grill:
-eat by themselves
-slice and serve over a big spinach salad with sliced red onion, add some turkey bacon if ya want, and fat free feta cheese YUMMMMMMO
-serve on 2 slices of whole grain bread with spinach or romaine, tomatoes, red onion, and dijon mustard
-put on your hubby's stomach and eat it off (hey ya gotta play with your food right hahaha!)
-slice and wrap inside a whole grain tortilla with some spinach or romaine, tomatoes, jalapenos, go wild!
-slice and place inside of a whole grain tortilla and sprinkle with some cheese; spray a skillet with olive oil, and you will have a yummy quesadilla to serve up with pico, avocado, or salsa (see my recipe for salsa here: Homemade Green Salsa and Red Salsa http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44657)

2nd Version:
Pound up that chicken like before. Then, right in the center of the breast on the short end, cut a pouch almost all the way through, leaving the sides and the other end "sealed". In a small bowl, mix up some 2 tbsp fat free mozz cheese, 1/4 tsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp roasted garlic (and if you're feeling frisky some red pepper flakes). this is enough for one breast, so for however many you're makin, increase your quantity respectively. Mix all together. Stuff inside the "pouch" of each breast and grill it up, or bake it.

3rd version:
Pound that chicken!!! :D then in a small saucepan of boiling chicken broth, wilt some spinach. Drain that off, and put it in a bowl. Mix in some roasted garlic, fat free feta cheese, and a little olive oil. then stuff those breasts, and grill 'em up or bake them.

4th version:
Pound that chicken!!! (poor chickie) Repeat the spinach version, except instead of feta cheese, use 1 tbsp per breast of fat free cream cheese. YUMMO!!!

Mexican Chicken:
1st version:
Pound that chicken!!! then combine lime juice, hot pepper sauce, roasted garlic, chili powder and a little olive oil in a ziploc baggie. Let the chicken get nice and happy in that marinade in your fridge for at least 8 hours. Grill it up baby!!!
-same ways to serve up as before :D

2nd version:
Get some premade pico de gallo... Then pound that chickie, make your pouch, and stuff that baby with the pico. Grill it up, then when done, sprinkle with more pico and some fat free mozz cheese.

3rd version:
Pound that chicken! then for your marinade use enchilada sauce (yes I know, sounds good huh), and let the chickie get happy for at least 8 hours. then grill it up!!! (ps these are GREAT for sandwiches)

4th version:
Prepare the enchilada sauce version as above but only use about 1/2 of the sauce for the marinade (set the other half aside, you'll need it soon), and grill the chicken. While it's grilling, boil up some whole wheat pasta, and also some of that frozen mexicorn mix that has the black beans in it. Drain both and combine in a bowl. When the chickies are done grilling, cut up the chicken and toss in the bowl with the pasta and mexicorn (do not use the canned mexicorn, that is nasty stuff :D ). then stir in that 1/2 of the enchilada sauce you set aside earlier. mix it up well, and let it get cold. When you're ready to serve, dress some plates with baby spinach leaves or romaine, and then spoon some of the salad in the center of each plate. Place a dollop of fat free sour cream in the middle, and if you want you can sprinkle on some green onions and/or cilantro mmmm. You can also sprinkle on a little cheese if ya like. Variation: stir in some chopped jalapenos in the salad if you like it hotter. This dish has impressed many a guest at my house :D

Whew!!!!! Well I have a ton more but I have not eaten din din yet and this is making me hungry! LOL!

Oh and PS - I'm sure we all know, but we are safety girls: do not reuse marinade in any way. Once you're done, toss it, cause food poisoning is not a good thang. :D

Enjoy girls!!!!

better health3
01-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Sesame Sweet Chicken:

The original recipe used thighs, but I substitute breasts.

3 lbs. skinless chicken thighs(around 12 pieces)
1/2 c. hoisin sauce
1/4 c. honey
3 T. lime juice
2 Tbs. lite soy sauce
1 Tbs. chopped ginger
1 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds(optional)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika

In a large zip top bag combine chicken, hoisin sauce, honey, lime juice, soy sauce, ginger, sesame seeds, cumin, and paprika. Let marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour/ overnight, turning occasionally. Preheat grill or broiler. Remove chicken from marinade and grill/broil 15-20 min., turning once until cooked through and brushing with remaining marinade. Garnish with scallion curls if desired.:p

I love this with brown rice and steamed brocolli.:D

Makes 6 servings. Nutritional content for thighs.
256 cals., 29 g protein, 7 g fat, 115 mg. cholesterol, 19 g. carbs, 666 mg sodium, 1g fiber.

Holyteror
01-26-2008, 03:30 PM
that sounds fantastic! I have a word.doc of all the recipes.....I've gotta add this one to it :)

Holyteror
01-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Quick Curry Chicken:
1 can chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
onion powder
garlic powder
curry
salt
pepper

mix all together, heat in the microwave for a minute or two. Serve over rice. Hubby tried it by itself but didn't think much of it until I served myself some over brown rice....he ate the rest of it LOL

traci in training
03-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Had to search 21 pages to find this thing! Needed a new recipe for supper - tired of everything. Bumping up for others.

famograham
03-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Good idea Traci :) This is a great thread!...I can't believe it made it 21 pages back!

Lyn2007
06-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Bumping this up for newbies. I love this thread.

Inca's Momma
08-10-2008, 03:17 PM
BUMP

:dizzy:Haven't been to the site for 3 months and came back and had to search forever for this

schmalger
11-15-2008, 05:42 PM
BUMP! Great thread!

Lyn2007
11-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Ohh I am so glad to see this back up! I forgot about it and I need it right about now :)

luvin2lose
11-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Did a thread like this end up happening for other types of foods?

rockinrobin
11-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Did a thread like this end up happening for other types of foods?

We've got it here on the veggies and the chicken. But hey, feel free to start it on any food you like!. Soup?

S.A.S.H
11-15-2008, 07:58 PM
:hun: These are great..I wonder if we could make a folder for recipies (Im sure there is another forum for it, but I only visit this one :lol: ) and stick the 101 ways to make ____ in it, and sticky them?

MoveMoveMove
10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
bump

time2lose
10-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I love this thread. There is a link to it and other great threads in the "100 lb club thread of awesome posts! (find recipe threads here)" sticky at the top of the 100 lb club.

Couch
10-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Tandoori Chicken

This is for a fairly massive amount of chicken, but it is very, very good!

Marinade:

1 cup natural yoghurt
4 tbsp vegetable oil (I generally half this)
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chili powder*
2 tsp ground cardamon
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp salt
orange food colouring to make it look like the real thing.

1.5kg skinless chicken thighs, visible fat removed, cut into three pieces. Marinate chicken for upto 1 day in the fridge. (I put the marinade and the chicken in a freezer bag and then freeze it until I want it)

Allow chicken to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 475C/240C. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking to remove excess, and place in single layer on greased baking tray or on a wire rack. (alfoil underneath can be a good idea!) Cook for 15 minutes until edges are slightly charred and cooked through. Serve hot or cold.

* Where chili powder = ground up chilis only

salsa chip
10-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Ok, I saw this thread and thought it said "101 plus ways to make children" *snigger* ;)

Bunti
08-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Wow! what an awesome thread. Well over a hundred recipes for chicken, should be something for us all!!!

Didn't see one close like my families favorite so here goes

Tomato-less Chicken Cacciatore (or Green Cacciatore as my kids named it)

One frying chicken, cut in pieces (4 breast pieces, 2 thighs, 2 wings, tips removed, 2 drumsticks)
1 cup very dry white wine (sauterne is best, but spendy) Non alcohol sub is scant 1 cup water with 3T white wine vinegar added (less calories too)
1 onion chopped finely
2 whole cloves garlic chopped
one small carrot, chopped finely
1 bunch parsley, chopped, divided
2 leeks chopped very finely (not the tops, just the white parts)
1 cup water. (yes, this makes two if you are substituting for the wine)
1 small can sliced black olives, liquid included
1 TBS olive oil
salt and pepper
Fresh Basil (optional)
Fresh Rosemary (optional)
Italian seasoning (optional)

Salt and pepper chicken to taste. Brown chicken, garlic, carrot.leeks and onions in olive oil until golden. Add 1/2 the parsley, the wine, and the water. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour on low. Crank the heat back up, and add olives, rest of parsley and fresh herbs if you are using them. (if using Italian seasoning add before browning) Add more water to make sure you have at least 1 and a half cups sauce.

Bring to a rolling boil for 8 more minutes. Serves 5.
Serve with whole wheat pasta, a good mixed color and texture salad and sourdough bread

(I have switched it out to using Olive oil Pam for the browning step, taking the skin off the chicken, and I serve mine on a bed of spinach or spaghetti squash)Without skin= 221 per serving according to fit day. My family prefers it to be cooked skin on, and have the skin removed before serving. If without skin I prefer the Crock pot method.

Can make in Crock pot by dumping everything up to Olives in your Crock pot after browning, cook on low all day, when you get home to wonderful smell, turn pot to high, add olives, 2nd half of parsley and herbs, cook 45 minutes while you get the rest of dinner ready.

WebRover
08-22-2010, 05:40 PM
#122 Easy Foreman Chicken

Marinate BLSL chicken breasts in balsamic vinegar while you are doing any other prep work. Flatten them slightly. Preheat a George Foreman Grill on high and grill for the length of time it calls for (I think it's seven minutes). Check with a meat thermometer for 165 degrees fahrenheit.