Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #1  

Default Well, Gotta Run! Anybody Walking-2-Run?

My insurance has these free "wellness" lectures....so I went to this "walking to run" thing, the lady who gave it (her name is Wendy Wood and she's a weight loss coach here in L.A.) was SOOO inspiring! She only started running in her 40s so it gave me a lot of hope. I'm 47 and have never run for exercise before!

Anyhow she's one of these women, she's got a bunch of kids in college and she's SO amazingly fit!

Anyhow here's the drill: You have a flat route (mine is the local community college track - I like a more picturesque walk but you need somewhere you don't have to stop all the time)

Then when you first start out -- well it's according to your level, in my case, I can walk 10 times around the track, 2 miles, without stopping so my goal is to go from walking the 2 miles to running it.

So starting out very slowly -- I'm walking 3 laps, running/walking in intervals the middle 4 laps, walking the last 3.

So the goal is, you increase the running intervals SLOWLY in the middle over time until you run the whole middle 3 laps. Like, you go from running half a length of track just adding one more fence partition, that type of increase, very gradual.

Then you increase the running intervals from 4 to 5, etc. The end goal is to run the better part of 2 miles without stopping, but you have to give yourself a few months to do it if you're just starting out.

This woman gets up at 5 a.m. 5 days a week to run in any weather - but boy she's a walking (running) monument to that practice, she has the muscle tone and energy of somebody half her age.

She says to approach running like it's a blind date -- give it your best and get to know it, and you might fall in love with it, and if you fall in love with running you can pretty much say goodbye to weight problems, since you can't overeat and maintain an active running schedule at the same time.

Well, gotta run!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #2  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the world of running!!!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

running is great..i'm slowly getting back into it. that sounds like a good plan. There's also something similar called the "couch to 5k" program http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
...it is sort of the same principle. prior to my heel spur issue....i got up to 2 miles in 2 months using it. It does it more by time but any way you can do it...go for it. i'm slowly getting some running back into it my program and love it...it really does help to do some running
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I just started running myself and I can't believe how much progress I am making in just a couple weeks. It is amazing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote