Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 10:34 PM   #1  
burned out bus driver

Default Stay At Home Mom's #25

Stay At Home Mom's #25
Welcome all newcomers and friends! This is a thread full of laughter, friendship and encouragement, as we share our lives and the ups & downs of raising a family. Feel free to join us. We look forward to getting to know each other better.
Be sure to go back to SAHM's #24to catch up with the latest on what has been going on in everyone's lives during the past week or so.
Ginny
Old 01-06-2002, 11:05 PM   #2  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Congrats Spryng on your weight loss! I hope that the shower goes well for you (a lot of work) and I would probably do the same thing as you did eat light for a day or two so that I could relax a bit at the shower. How many people are expected to show?

Jackie and Misti- I hope that you are feeling better!!!!

Janeane-I did the same thing with the potty training and new undies! My son was hysterical- we had to order his character "big boy pants" from the Hanes catalog (hard to find in the store) and the day that they came he ripped the package open- saw his much coveted Teenage Ninja Turtle undies and screamed "take this diaper off"! That was the end of Ds and diapers. Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about the stomach reduction surgery. But it is great for you that you are able to lose without such a drastic means! I hope too that your sister is sensitive to how you feel. You are doing this alone, long term the much better path, because you are learning to eat better by yourself (and learning about yourself that way too) as opposed to a quick fix. (I am not trying to take anything away from someone who went for/goes for the surgery- and if there are health issues it is a blessing that the surgery is an option!)
We love you here, as I am sure that your sister does too!!!!!

Well, I did get a nice walk in today! (the first full length walk in a few days). My eating was strange- I did very well thru this afternoon and then had some cookies
, but all I had for dinner was veggies (salad and tomato juice) so I hope that I redeemed myself!!!
It looks as though tomorrow the kiddies will be home (it is snowing!). I went to the evening service at church - when we left it was fine and an hour later over an inch had fallen! I love snow and winter. (just do not like that Dh has to go to work tomorrow in it!).
I think I need some sleep. Have a great nite! See ya tomorrow!
Ginny
Old 01-06-2002, 11:20 PM   #3  

Wink Hi gals

Oh my both you gals down with the flu... how are you doing dears? Take it slow in your intake of food, just keep the fluids coming, and send me a kiss thru' email so I can get it too, just kidding.

Ginny, my sister is a wonderful woman, but it's either all or nothing in her world. I love her dearly, but have tried to learn from her experience, that's the blessing of being a younger sister. I know that the DS was the quick fix for her, and probably the only way she could get the results that were needed. Like I said, I hope that it is a positive experience for all of us involved. My brother is coming the same weekend, and he is a 6'7" / 400# guy, hopefully he will be able to compare our two methods and have 'food for thought'.

It snowed 6" last night and we decided to go skiing this am, took one run and it started to rain, the wonderful powder turned to concrete, and my knee was singing big time. It was a wonderful workout and will count it as 30 min 'hard labor'. I just can't wait to ski without all the extra bulk, it will make it so much easier.

Have a wonderful night girls,
Old 01-07-2002, 01:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Angry

I'm feeling better!

I have an occaisional headache now & then, but for the most part, feeling lots better! Now......if I could only get to sleep! With DH snoring & all my rest that I got yesterday & this a.m., I can't sleep! I think that I'll try the couch & put the t.v. on sleep timer. Catch you all in the late morning/early afternoon. **Jackie**

Last edited by Freckles; 01-07-2002 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:24 AM   #5  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!
Jackie, glad that you are feeling better!!!!!!!!!!!
Skimom- your snow sounds just like what we got. Sooooooooo pretty! My kids have a 2hour delay for school, except for Dd (6) whose school is cancelled when there is a 2 hour delay (kindergarten is half day).
Nothing else to chat about yet! I just came online to see the school closings.
Have a great morning!
Ginny
Old 01-07-2002, 10:10 AM   #6  

Talking An introduction.....

Hi, all,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I've posted on another thread a couple of times, but I've never posted here before. I've been reading different areas, and since I'm a stay-at-home mom, I thought this one would be good for me. First of all, I'm looking to loose about 60 lbs.(i was at 210, after just recently gaining 5 lbs.but I lost the five again, and am at 205) , I just turned 35 on the 3rd of Jan., I'm 5'9", a christian, happily married to my sweetie for 16 yrs., and have two teenage girls and a 10 yr. old son. It was the grace of God, plus intense therapy and medication that got me through years of depression and anxiety. Now its time to go on with my life.
I have no diet plan ideas whatsoever, and am trying to get started with this whole thing. There are a lot of obese people in my family, and I didn't have a lot of problems with weight till I got to the 30 yr old mark, then it went to you-know-where in a handbasket. I am finally willing to do something about it, but I need a whole bunch of help. Our family moved to Indiana from Oklahoma last year, and I'm not exactly the most sociable person, so I don't know a lot of people yet. (actually, we've spent so much time on home repairs and remodeling, I haven't had a lot of time to do much of anything.)
So I am mostly looking for a group who will give me an atta-girl when I do good, and a good rear-kicking when I screw up, plus I would be grateful for any advice I could get on diet drugs, beginning exercise plans, and how to tolerate teenagers.
I hope I didn't bore ya too much. Everyone have an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 11:51 AM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

Angry Good Afternoon

Well I'm feeling a little better today girls, thanks so much for all the get wells you gals are the best! I'm doing well with my diet still, considering the flu kept me from eatting much. My next weigh in isn't until Wed and at my last one I was 4 pounds away from my first goal. I have a good feeling I will have met my goal by then. Welcome holymoly! This is the best thread! These girls are so supportive and always have good advice. I can relate to your battles with depression and anxiety also so i might have a few tips to help get you started. You can ask me anything and I will do my best to help. I should say my depression was postpartom and I have suffered from anxiey for 11 years. I now you wil ind great support here and some very wonderful women. I couldn't make it with out them. Spryng, I hope your shower went well. are you still taking the ckallenge? I'm so excited to know. I've been thinking about being a copycat and trying it. I have this great dress I want to wear for Valentines Day. Maybe it could help me get in to it. Get well wishes to you Freckles! Hope you are pulling through well! EC mom hope you get to enjoy the time with your kids today. And skimom hope your knee isn't still screaming at you. Sorry I'm so long with my post but I wanted to catch up with all of you. Everyone stay warm and healthy! Misti
Old 01-07-2002, 04:16 PM   #8  

Angry

Good Afternoon!

Well, I'm just about back to my "old" self again! Thank you all for the get well wishes. It's much appreciated!
Misti: Please forgive me for not wishing you the same. I guess I was too caught up in my own little "pitty party". I'm not sure if I did a formal "welcome" for you either, but I'm sure you know by now that I'm happy that you joined us! You have fit in perfectly here! And for the long.....post, YOU HAVEN'T SEEN NOTHING YET! Just wait 'til you REALLY get to know Ginny & I. It looks as though you are really on a roll with the weight loss. Can you send some motivation my way? I'm going to give it a few more days of being "low key" & then I'm going to start peddalin' away! WELCOME HOLYMOLY! I'm glad that you picked our thread to join. I'll be here to "cheer" you on & give you encouragement, but I'm not sure about the kick in the butt part. We're here to build each other up (in spirits, that is!), and not in tearing each other down. (Unless we're able to drag a few pounds off of you) You & I have about the same goal for the amount of weight that we would like to lose. I have lost some of it in the past year, but I also have a long.....way to go. As for anxiety & depression--I've been there & done that kind of thingy too! I'm on Wellbutrin, a mild anxiety/anti depressant. If I don't faithfully take my meds, it's like having PMS 24/7 for as long as I'm not on them. You've come to the right thread, as I have figured out that anxiety/depression & weight problems all go together & the majority of us here are in the same boat. It is so nice to be able to vent when need be & to get the much needed support that follows. For the diet & exercise part, I'm not sure if you have any restrictions. What works out best for me is the Weight Watchers Program & an exercise routine. I lost 20# in the past year (unfortunately, I gained 10# back over the summer.) The way that I did it was followed my WW points, to give me more points to work with @ dinner time, I'd have a Slim Fast Shake for breakfast, a WW Frozen Dinner for lunch & then a well-balanced dinner with my family. I also faithfully exercised at least 3-5 times per week. Boy, now I know how the weight came back on! As long as I followed this plan, I was successful. I know each one of us is different, so I'm not sure on what will work out best for you. If you haven't exercised in awhile, maybe check with your Dr. first to make sure that he/she gives you the okay to go ahead. I'm not a physician, but for the most part, everyone is usually quite successful to start out by walking 10 minutes per day & gradually increase your time until you are satisfied with the amount. I've read plenty of articles & most of them suggest to work up to 20-30 min. p/day 3-5 times per week. I've got Plantar Facia, so I pedal on a stationary recumbent bike instead. As for the advice on teenagers...my oldest just turned 13, so I'm just starting in that field. (I guess you'll have to ask Ginny!) Oh! by the way....I have 2 children Kevin is 13 & Kaitlyn is 8 (going on 16!) I've been married for 17 years & we also have a cat named "Klarabelle". Oh! One last thing: A VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU! Well, I guess I'd better close for now. I have to go pick up DD from school.
Misty: If you're still here reading my post, I think you'll figure out what I was talking about in the beginning! Until later, take care everyone! **Jackie**

Last edited by Freckles; 01-07-2002 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:43 PM   #9  

Default ****- looking for support

Hi everyone
I am also a "stay at home" mom. I have 2 girls - 4 yrs and 6 months. They keep me pretty busy but not busy enough to keep me from "over snacking". I weight 225 and I need to loose at least 50 lbs. I am to the point I would be happy with getting to the 200 marker on my scale. I guess "baby steps"!! Today is my "kick off" and I have already seen that I will need to do something to get past 3pm with out a snack. My lunch (saled) was not enough to hold me over til dinner. I was looking for a snack and we have nothing healty. I will have to take a trip to the store for some quick fix snacks besides cookies and candy!! I would love some support from other stay at home moms.
Hope to talk to you soon.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:48 PM   #10  

Default previous post

oops!!!
sorry about that previous post.
The subject was supposed to say "Hello" not "****" - Hope I did'nt offend anyone.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:29 PM   #11  
burned out bus driver

Good evening!!!!!!
Welcome Holymoly and CDM!!!!!!!! Great to see both of you here!!!! Most times I would do an individual welcome, but tonite i am pressed for time. I think that it is great that both of you are looking for interim weights- (not just looking at losing 100 # in a lump sum, for example). Weight watchers uses the 10% calculation (am I right there, Jackie?)- where they set your first goal to lose 10% of your weight- pretty much promising that if you are able to do that you will feel better, of course look better, and be off to a good start. It also is much more manageble than looking at a whole big sum!!!!! I started my journey over 2 years ago at 183# and with a lot of ups and downs am at 160 now (I put on 2 pounds at the end of the holidays). Final goal for me is around 130- 135, which would have seem insurmountable from 183! But now from the still blimpish 160, it seems remotely possible. So, try that approach. And yes, for me I feel better!!!!
Glad to see both of you here. BTW, I am a Christian, mother of 3 (DD 15, wanna chat about teens???, Ds 12 and Dd 6). We live in southern New York state in a rural county. I am on weight watchers (I bought the materials on ebay, as I do not have the time or the money for the meetings), and basically use this thread as my support group. Jackie (thanks, Jackie!) is my sounding board with WW questions, as she has been thru the program recently.

Jackie- I am so happy that you are feeling better!!!!!! One thing I must share with everyone about Jackie. A happy, healthy Jackie post is kind of like the sun shining right at you thru the computer screen. It is great that you are back to normal. How is the new recumbant bike?

Misti- I am glad that you are feeling better!!!!! No problem with the long posts- we all need to vent and besides I feel closer to each of you when the posts are a bit longer. There are days when a short post is all you can do, but times when longer posts do fine. With each of us being home with our families, we can get lonely at times- or just need to vent some of that stress of being home with our beloved families.

As for me, I made a great snowman with Dd (6) and a buddy of hers. This was a wet snow,so sledding was not great. I suppose we have about 8" of the white stuff, and it is still gently falling. I think after I sign off I am going out for a quick walk. It is just so peaceful and pretty!!!!!!!

On that happy note, I had better go. I have a busy day tomorrow and will be lucky if I can squeeze a post in. Have a great day!!!!!
Ginny
Old 01-07-2002, 11:18 PM   #12  
Pending Email Confirmation

Angry Good Night!

Hey just a quick note, did you all know about this fitday.com? It is really neat. If you get time, check it out.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:39 PM   #13  

Smile

Misti:

I took a peek @ www.fitday.com & bookmarked it. Thanks, I need to start Journaling & I think I'm going to try this one. I don't think that 3FC's has one, do they? Oh! Ginny: 10% sounds right to me too! Well, ds is sick & needs my assistance. See yah all tomorrow! Oh! One more thing....Welcome,CDM1974 I didn't even notice your typo until you mentioned it! I'll do a better greeting/welcome later. Take Care! **Jackie**
Old 01-08-2002, 07:18 AM   #14  

Thumbs down

Good morning, everyone,

Since I got such a warm and wonderful welcome, let me extend the same to CDM!!!! Welcome to the best site on the net for the support we all need for our journeys.!!!!!
I'm also at the beginning of my long journey (and I get the idea it might just be ****, lol) So I wish you the best of luck. Sometimes I think the stay at home thing makes it a little more difficult, especially for those of you with small children. I remember those days, and it was so difficult to get out, or do anything for yourself. And I too will have to start with baby steps. I got such wonderful advice from Freckles (so a big thanks!!) Also a big, giant thanks to all the ladies on this thread, cause I can be assured of a smile every day, just from reading posts. Misti, I may have a few questions for ya later. Be warned.
I am the worlds worst about trying to start too big, and not lasting very long because of it. Like the last time I got a wild hair about loosing a few lbs., I bought an exercise tape (more like the floor exercise type, not aerobics, since I have no discernable rhythm on those kinds of moves) and I worked on it for as long as I could stand to. But I was so out of shape, that I couldn't walk for a few days afterward and was not inclined to continue. I also have a history of wanting to loose so much weight that it seems impossible, but I did learn throught this thread that losing even a small amount of weight is a good thing. I'm shooting for 200 cause I think if I can get below that point, I'll have the shot in the arm I need to keep going. Then I'll try 10 lb. increments from there on. My shrink told me a long time ago to just take things a little at a time, since I stress so easily.
Well, If I don't quit, this will be more of a novel than a post, so I'll see y'all this afternoon. Or later this morning. I think I got too much time on my hands at times. Oh well. Take care, all, and God bless!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2002, 10:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Hey every one! I can't believe it's been so long since I posted. It took me about 30 minuted to catch up on all the other posts here!! But I'm back! With the bridal shower and everything I have been busy! But thankfully it's over. It went really well and I did good on my cals that day. Everyone loved the games I put together and had alot of fun.
Welcome CDM and Holymoly! I feel like old friends already! I have only been part of this group for about 4 weeks now I guess (has it even been that long??) and I haven't strayed anywhere else. This is my second home. But if you are looking for a butt kicking when you cheat or do something wrong on a diet you won't get it here. I know. I polished off a bag of pizza rolls a week ago and thought I would get a good lecture from these girls yet all they did was tell me nice things about myself!!! I think that worked better than anything. Everyone here is so nice and encouraging. Right now I'm on the kellogs challenge. You know the commercial. Have a bowl of special K for breakfast and lunch and then a healthy dinner? (I have Healthy Choice dinners) and it's working for me. The last two days though I haven't had the cereal. I'm out of milk and haven't went to the store. So instead I have two pieces of toast (90 cals) for lunch and breakfast. Until I get milk. yesterday I ended the day at 620 cal.
Oh! I tried my dress on for the wedding (I'm matron of honor) and guess what!! The skirt was too big!! That was nice. But the bodice was tight. Not too tight. It actually is suppose to be tight. So I figure I have to be very careful with my weight because even a one lb gain could make me not be able to zip it up. So I figure if I lose 2-3 more lbs before it gets here (1 1/2 weeks away!!) I'll be just fine.
How's everyone else doing? Getting better? I hope so.
Well I'll probably post again later. I hear the kids waking up. They slept in this morning! It's 9:34 here!! That's great.
Have a great day everyone!!
Closed Thread