Old 09-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #1  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Question food diary vs fit day, how do you record your food?

Hi All,
I am addicted to food!

I know what I need to do to eat right. But doing it is a totally different thing. I never cared to do those things.
Now that I serious about changing my habits, I need to start working with some sort of food diary tool.

I really liked the my food diary.com tutorial, however, it costs 9$ a month.
Is there something similiar to that, but free?
What are your favorite food diary tools, that you have tried?
Have you ever tried myfooddiary.com?
pros & cons?

Last edited by vixjean; 09-18-2007 at 11:07 PM.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I like www.fitday.com . There is a free version, I can customize foods and there are great reports and features.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #3  
On a De-fluffing Quest

S/C/G: 250/c sig/160

Height: 5'5"

You know, I have a strong food adiction as well... The way I keep accountable to myself is that I simply mark my calendar with a check (I'm thinking about getting some star stickers) on the days I follow the diet.

I've done all the food diary things, and I always get lazy. At the end of the day, I know if I followed the diet, and so if I cheated (even just a smidgeon) I don't get a check for that day. I increase my goal by saying I'll follow the diet perfectly x days of the week or month, and work to increase that number.
MissyFluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #4  

Exclamation Now I know!

OMG OMG OMG
Day one: LOOKING AT WHAT IS GOING IN MY BODY
2389 Calories!!!!!!!!!
(My dinner was estimated with Fitday, as I ate at a resturant for dinner)
And my boyfriend just ate a 400 calorie rice pudding cup, I couldn't even look at him, or the rice pudding! Lol, no but for real!
Anyone who thinks they cheated, needs to see what I did today, (and for the last two years!!!)
But anyway, I did learn that I was underestimating the calories I ate and that I allow myself too many passes durring the day.
For example, walking past this department at work today cost me 250 calories. When I should have stuck to my own snacks that I brought (and I ate those too)
Just ranting and raving peps, please hold back on the lectures though, I'm not doing to well now that I say that, 2389 WOW!
Well tomorrow is another day. Good Luck to me and all of you
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I use fitday too. And did it ever add up when I had my hand in the treats at work a few times!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #6  

Smile Thanks Susan

Glad to know I'm not alone sometimes.
I worked out this morning @ the gym
And I am going to have to stay away from "munchies @ the office"
Good Luck ALL
Old 09-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

The sad part is that I brought home about half of the really good food I took with me. One more evening shift ... and I will do better. I've got that Dr Oz guy stuck in my brain this week.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #8  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

I used fitday for a while. And it was very helpful. But I'm an information junkie and found I was obsessing over everything - not just calories, but protein/carb/fibre/fat breakdowns as well. So shortly after starting the Sonoma Diet I stopped with fitday and started writing everything in a journal. So far that's been better (less to obsess over). I have things written down so if I need to look deeper into it I can, but for the most part I know whether I am on plan or not. And the consequences of those choices.

But I am VERY glad to have found fitday (through 3FC folks) because it did give me a good grounding in nutrition and calories. Without going through that obsessive phase I don't think I would have been so confident to let go.

Jax

Last edited by jaxjob; 09-19-2007 at 03:38 PM.
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I use fitday, too. It's insane how the calories can add up sometimes...

though it's also beautiful when I see that I've eaten LESS calories than I thought !

I never get lazy... as I see it, I can't afford to get lazy - if I want to stick with this, I have to hold myself accountable for every single thing I eat. Everyone has a different way of staying on plan, though. I don't particularily care to completely eliminate things from my diet (though I DO often choose not to eat bad food), so I just track everything I eat and make sure I don't go over the limit.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:17 AM   #10  

1752 today go me. It really IS crazy how fast they add up!
I was only hungry for a few hours today after lunch, because someone took my rice cake out of the kitchen. Can you believe it, it's a freeking rice cake people, okay. Keep it up me and all of you.
Thanks ALL!!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 AM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Fitday or daily plate are good free ones.

I am a myfooddiary.com user though I can fully say it's been worth the 9 bucks a month. I find it easier to use then the other sites and there are cool targets and graphs and useful message boards.

Plus there is a little feature that says "If every day was like today you would weigh x in one month and x in 3 months" kinda fun.

But the other sites will do you just as fine if your on a budget.

-muse
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote