Support Groups - Ready for a new start! newbies in Sept '07

Andi18
09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Alrighty ladies! we were looking for a spot to make a group for us newbies...Here is a thread we can keep going and motivate each other in!

Tell us a little about yourself:
Name (real name or name we can call you!):
About you:
Why did you join?
What is your goal?
How are you going to acheive your goal?

Amberelise
09-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm relatively new, too, and just saw the initial thread about this group. I'd love to join, as well.

Name (real name or name we can call you!): Amber
About you: I'm 27 and the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding in November. I want to look good in her pictures. More importantly, I want to get my weight down the right way so I can maintain it for the REST OF MY LIFE.
Why did you join? I ran a google search for weight loss forums. I can use as much support as possible.
What is your goal? 130 lbs of pure muscle.
How are you going to acheive your goal? Calorie counting & exercise

Here's my goal for right now and all I care about today:

1.) I already had breakfast/snack/lunch. I'm going out to dinner tonight with friends and have 600 calories left. Goal #1: EAT NOTHING ELSE HERE AT WORK. I'm not hungry so I can't let my eating for the **** of it to rear it's ugly head this afternoon.

2.) Drink only WATER at dinner tonight. No alcohol.

3.) Peruse the menu carefully and only order something GOOD FOR YOU. DON'T OVEREAT. Eat only a serving size. Avoid anything fried.

4.) NO DESSERT.

It seems simple, but tonight is going to be so hard and I don't have any confidence in myself right now. (I did so badly at a restaurant last night.)

Andi18
09-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Name (real name or name we can call you!): Andi

About you: I'm 29 years old. Married. Have 1 son and 2 cats. Been heavy most of my life but am ready for a new start!

Why did you join? I saw a thread for those that have tried Turbo Jam and it peaked my interest. Saw a lot of supportive ladies around here that are a great inspiration and thought it would be a great place for me to start and stay accountable.

What is your goal? My goal is to get down to 140-150.

How are you going to acheive your goal? I plan on working out 5-7 days a week, either walking on the treadmill, outside, or using Turbo Jam, or my exercise ball. I have also started to count my calories as I realize I was eating whenever I wanted and whatever I wanted... NOT the way to lose weight obviously!

saralou
09-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Name - Sara
About me -I'm 24, from England and just about to embark on a new life in London and I want to make this part of my positive change.
Why did I join - found the site by accident because I wanted to share the changes with people but am perhaps a bit embarassed to tell my skinny friends - want support from like-minded people
My Goal - To weigh 140lbs or at least be able to fit into my UK size 12 clothes (US 8) again (I've got a load in the cupboard)
Achieving my goal -I'm using the slimming world diet programme which allows you to eat as much of the healthy stuff as you want until you are full up and just a little of the junk. I'm also intending to start dance again when I move to London and am going to try and fit swimming into my life

Mikeyandres2
09-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks Andi for taking the initiative and heading us in the right direction!:wave: losinitin07 & blooeyedgirl, glad to have you along! So a little about myself
Name : Melissa
About Me: I have 2 boys ( 8+3 ) we live in ny, I'm in college and hope to finish sometime this century, and I am long overdue to dropping all this babyweight!!
Why I am here: I am here because I have no one to go through this with. I feel like I'm the only one. It's nice that we're all here with one common goal and that we can support each other and give advice ( without paying for a personal trainer)
Goal: my minigoal is to lose 15lbs by Christmas. Overall I want to lose 60lbs.
How: Right now since I am just starting, I am paying attention to what I put in my mouth! So often you can eat a whole bag or box of this and that without even realizing it! Def. my problem:devil:I'm also easing into the exercise. 5 days a week-Pilates 20 min/day and walking 30min/day
I've ordered the Abs Diet book so as soon as I get that in I'll start that.Basically I'm just taking it day by day. BTW how much water should we be drinking a day?

alhiser
09-18-2007, 03:24 PM
:kickbutt:PRESENT FOR ROLL CALL!!! :kickbutt:

Is there a way for me to bookmark this? :dizzy:

Name (real name or name we can call you!): Angie or Ang
About you: Married- 29 yo, work full time as a 911 dispatcher, going to college full time, and a full time mom of two bellisimo bambinos. My Dtr is 6 and son is 9. Proud Navy Vet
Why did you join? Cause I am new? Wait- join what?
What is ur goal? 150 lbs baby. My low was 125 when in the Navy.. was comfy at 150. I have lost 30 or so lbs in the last year- need to keep on keepin on...
How are you going to acheive your goal? exercise, looking into WW and YOU GUYS AS MY FRIENDS!!! :hug:

MissyFluffs
09-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Name (real name or name we can call you!): Fluffs

About you: Getting married soon, haven't nailed down a date yet. I'm a relatively new convert to catholicism and so is my fiance. I had a miscarriage last summer, and I can't help but think my weight has something to do with it. Since that happened I'm more determined now to
1. Follow the rules of my faith w/regards to premarital relations and
2. Lose at least 30 lbs before the wedding so that I can fit into this awesome dress my Mom got from a friend of hers.
3. Lose 80 lbs within the next year before my soon to be hubby and I try to conceive again.

Why did you join? I saw a ticker on someone's siggy over on ovusoft dot com and thought I'd check things out. I do pretty well losing weight on my own, but have always bounced back. I especially like how this site has so many reasonable gals, and an active maintenance group. Maintenance is going to be the hardest part.

What is your goal? My main goal is to get healthy, and get my hormones straightened out (I have high estrogen/ LP defect which might be related to weight) My other goals are: Increase fitness, and slowly work up to jogging 5miles 3 times a week. Get my weight down to at least 144 lbs.

How are you going to acheive your goal? I'm starting out with lots of aerobics and stomach/crunch exercises. Lots of walking, hoping to accomplish at least 60 min of exercise 6 days a week by the end of October, and then increasing intensity of those 60 minutes as time goes on. I also follow a self-modified Atkins type diet, that is partially inspired by the Weston A. Price foundation. The basics of my plan are... veggies veggies veggies, organic meats and eggs.. No fake foods.. and workout!!

traurigeslied
09-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey everyone! :dizzy:

My name is Fleur and I'm a college freshman. I just got onto campus recently and I want to make positive changes in my life. I have never been overweight by the normal standard, nor have I ever been extremely underweight. From that last statement, you may be wondering why I am on this site, but bear with me.

During high school, I developed ED-NOS, which turned into bulimia. While I was bulimic, I did not lose much weight at all; I actually gained some weight, which was extremely frustrating. Once I became afraid of what I was doing to my teeth by throwing up, I stopped, but I continued with the compulsive overeating that accompanied my bulimia because I was having a hard time at home and socially. As a result, I gained about 30 lbs on my small frame (I'm a little taller than average with a naturally slender frame, if that makes sense). At my highest, I was just under 150 lbs. To this day, my eating is out of control, and I guess I just need some support to normalize it and get healthy again. I would love to lose the weight that I gained during my two years of eating compulsively day after day. Eventually things got so bad that on some days I would eat enough to be nauseous, throw up, and continue eating. I also have a habit of overeating now, but that is really hard to break. How I never reached an overweight standard, I am not sure, but I really dislike how my body is proportioned right now.

Every time I look in the mirror, I get reminded of my eating disorder because of the way I look, and that is a depressing feeling I want to get rid of. I cannot fit into clothes that fit me before or even a few months ago. I would like to have my old body back, but more than that I would love to have a more toned body than what I had when my eating disorder started so that I can be proud of the way I look. I want to be able to go to the beach and not feel guilty because I feel like everyone knows about my eating disorder when they see me in a bathing suit. I want to look good naked. In more constructive terms, I would like to be between 115-120 lbs, which is in the lower healthy weight range for my height according to bmi.

I've never worked out regularly, so I would love to be active, toned, sexy, and at a point where weight doesn't control my life. I have grown a lot and I have seen a psychologist about my problems, but I feel that I need to do something about my weight and body to get over my issues and truly be happy.

I originally found this site through the Oprah magazine (she recommended it) so I joined. I have not made any posts yet and right now I feel inspired to make changes in my life because there have already been so many changes in the past few weeks. I want to live the life I have always wanted to live. I want to be the person I have always wanted to be. I'm young. I should be doing something productive instead of sitting on my *** and being depressed because of things that are in the past right now. I feel like being in a forum will give me more inspiration and motivation (which I really need).

To achieve my goal, I plan on trying to take things slowly. I'm really busy with college, but I want to start by making my eating habits healthier. I eat a lot of sweets and junk food, so I am going to try to minimize that and eventually cut it out altogether. I want to eat more vegetables and fruits and get my eating down to three meals per day (since I get out of control if I eat more than 3 times per day and the mini meals have never worked for me). I may start counting calories at a later date, but for now I just want to be aware of calories. I also want to get my study habits more developed so that I can't use the "I have no time" excuse for exercise. I'm planning to walk briskly/jog on the weekends at least. That's all for now.

I can't wait to get to know the rest of you and for us to make positive changes in our lives together! :hug:

chasdeb
09-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I just signed up today and would love to join the newbies group too!

My name is Debbie and I decided to join for some much needed support. I've done weight watchers before and kept the weight off for 4 years before packing most of it back on. My SO likes to eat and I had a very stressful job (just retired) so between the two, I was doomed!! I would like to lose between 25 and 30 pounds and hope it do it by changing the way I eat instead of "dieting." I also need to motivate myself to walk - diabetes runs in the famly. If I could only stay away from bread and desserts. They are my downfall!! I'm looking forward to this newbies group!

Thanks!
Debbie

blooeyedgirl
09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm Here:carrot:!! Glad we got something going!

Name (real name or name we can call you!): Jenn

About you: I'm a stay at home mum to dtr13 and son 8. Kids and hubby got me a gym membership for my bday (sept 1) and I can't help but think that they were trying to tell me something!

Why did you join? I am the type that needs motivation.. good job.. pat on the back.. kind of thing. I'm looking forward to comparing notes and cheering each other on!

What is your goal? My goal is to tell someone what I weigh and not hear... that much? Oh you're tall.. you carry it well. Arghhhhhh! My goal is to lose at least 15lbs by Christmas.

How are you going to acheive your goal? Going to the gym at least 4x a week. Weights and cardio and count calories. I've done it before (Canadian version of Curves) but quit and it soon crept back up on me:mad:. I did it once ... I can do it again.. and stay that way!

losinitin07
09-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi all glad:spin: to be here

Name: Rena
About me: I live in Northern (Burr) Maine I say burr because the temps are dropping into the cool 60-70's winter is not far behind.I am married have been for 12 years to a wonderful hubby,I am a social worker for the elderly,and a CNA.I love my job. I have 2 step children and 1 of my own she is 19 married :preg:baby #1 on the way,I also have two other grand babies. I like to kayak,gardening ,plastic canvas and quilting
Why did I join: I like the support and all the great ideas and help.
What is my goal : To be healthy ,to be there for those grand babies that God has entrusted to me.To slowly and safely get to 140 so that I don't lose really fast and gain it all back:dizzy:
How are you going to achieve this goal? a lot of this:tread::exercise::woops: and the walk way pounds tape.
and less of this:m::m::m::jeno::burger::mcd: And lots of support from this site and my DH and our black lab they keep me going. It is so nice to meet you all we can do this ;) I know we can:cp::flow2:

alhiser
09-18-2007, 10:10 PM
RENA!! I used to be a Mainer- I lived in Cutler!! I used to love driving around up to calais and NB to go shopping. Spent a lot of time in Lubec too!! I am in Montana Now.

Ang

alhiser
09-18-2007, 10:16 PM
iris! I think we are all here for each other no matter what the "issue" is. I am sure we have all had problems and the reason why this group was started is for support. We would never bash you or anything! Hang in there! We will prevail!! :hug:

traurigeslied
09-19-2007, 02:56 AM
I would like to note that I have changed my username from traurigeslied to LaFleur and that I would like to be known as Fleur from now on (for privacy reasons, if that's okay).

Thanks so much for the reassuring words. They helped. A lot. I didn't do so well yesterday, but today is a new day. :)

LaFleur
09-19-2007, 02:59 AM
Here I am! This is me with my more positive username!

I hope you all have a good night and sleep tightly.

Sweet dreams.

losinitin07
09-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Alhiser Hello I am 6 miles from the New Brunswick border,I have been to Lubec once and I loved it. Was you or a S/O (if you have one) in the coast guard or navy I ask because that's where there is a navy or coast guard base.

alhiser
09-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Rena- I was Navy. I was already a vet and "got out" there. Maine is a gorgeous place. My hubby is a Mainer. He is from Sullivan just outside Ellsworth. I am originally from MT and was transferred from Europe to Brunswick- met my love and loved happily ever after...

P.s. call me angie or ang :)

Amberelise
09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Neat, Rena. My best friend is from Harvey Station, New Brunswick. His cousin works at the border up there.

I had a veggie burger last night at Bandera on Michigan Ave here in Chicago. I haven't the clue how many calories I had. I'm told Bandera is basically the same as Houston's in other cities. I can't find the calorie count for their veggie burger, either. They claim it's house made. Any ideas??!

chubby cat
09-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Hi Everyone!!:wave:

I would really like to join this group. So here's something about me:

Name (real name or name we can call you!): Farah

About you: I'm 25,married, staying home currently. I am orginally from Bangladesh. I like to read a lot and I am very hooked into "HEROES" lately. I love to cook. :chef:That's a downside in this process, I guess.

Why did you join? Found the site while searching for info for a weightloss product. And since I know nobody here is US, I thought it is a great place to know people and get the support in my weightloss process.

What is your goal? I want to lose around 50 lbs. I am quite short, so i am very much over-weight I guess. And also we have diabetes in my family, so I want to be pre-cautionary(is that a real word?):?:

How are you going to acheive your goal? By portion control and doing moderate exercise.

chasdeb
09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Are any of you near Kentucky? Although my name is "Chasdeb" I actually live in Kentucky. I grew up in Charleston, SC and moved to Kentucky when I was 42.

Debbie

Amberelise
09-20-2007, 11:28 AM
I grew up in Southern, Illinois - my parents still live down there. It's very near Paducah, KY. :)

Andi18
09-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Welcome Farah!! Hope you find lots of support here! :cheer:

Augustchild
09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new in the last week or so ... thought this thread was a good idea!

Name (real name or name we can call you!):Victoria or Vicki
About you: Born and raised in south east England, married a Texan and emigrated to the US in January 2006!
Why did you join? To find some motivation to lose the 30lbs or so I put on since moving here.
What is your goal? Ultimate goal is to get down to 140lbs. However I am also trying for a baby so I really would like to lose a few pounds and get my body into the healthiest it can be in preparation. Hopefully then after the baby arrives I will already be eating healthy so shouldn't have as much trouble losing the baby weight! LOL
How are you going to acheive your goal? Healthy eating, exercise and moderation.

alhiser
Mornin everyone!! :coffee:

Welcome Farah!! I have gotten so much support since I have been on the forums. Makes me feel like I can really do this, and these girls will hold you accountable in a sense if you let them. Life is good here on the forums and we all have each others back no matter what we look like, where we are from or what we weigh :p Im here for ya if you need someone to talk to!

Ang.

P.S. I saw ppl were posting there "where-from's" I am in Montana. :dz:

Mikeyandres2
Amberlise , I don't know whether or not you are aware of calorieking.com. It's a great site that has interactive tools and basically calories for everything, including restaurants etc. My favorite tool on this site is the exercise calories. By imputing my weight, it works out the # of calories burns for a specific time of activity. I also calculated my BMI this morning...What A Reality Check! My BMI is 30...NOT GOOD. I hope this helps!

alhiser
09-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Nice to meet you Victoria! From England to texas!! holy :moo: I bet that was a change. I gained a lot of weight when I moved from Italy back to the States. I was in the Navy and weighed about 125 in IT, and once I got to the states I gained about 30 lbs. (of course got worse with time) I have often wondered why I gained, cause I ate like a cow in IT- (Bread, pasta...mmmm) I think it was the fast food. There just wasnt a lot of fast food there. I lived in Catania Siciliy- and I had to drive clear across the island to Palermo just to see a "Crappy D's" (McDonalds) There was no fast food joint on every corner. Plus if you went to a restaurant, dinner took like seriously- three hrs. It was all spread out and you didnt shovel food...Too bad it isnt like that in the States...

Ang

alhiser
09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
NEW THREAD!!!

So what is everyones current "method" of weight loss at this time? Is it working for you? How long have you been doing it?

I have self esteem issues, and when i feel good about myself, I can drop weight like a dumbbell. Last year, I was at 215 lbs, and am now hovering at about 181. I dropped the weight because I was having a great year and felt good about myself. Thats 34 lbs. I was going to the gym and genearrly happier about myself. i limited my cheeseburger intake to only ONCE a week- which at first was tough.

So this year has not been good for me. First we almost lost our house in that damn "mortgage vortex" (you know the interest rate thing that about killed many people...) Then my husbands back went bad, money was tight, work sucked, you name it. Stress stress stress...

So I am hoping that through this forum, you ladies can give me the confidence to pull my head from my bubbly *** yet once again and get back on the train.

So to my point. I think I am going to start WW. It seems do-able and not terribly stressfull. I have a gym membership that *gasp* I will start using. I was so happy last year and I want that again... [/SIZE]

alhiser
09-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Me. Last year. I look the same. My hair is longer now though... hehe.

Augustchild
09-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Nice to meet you Victoria! From England to texas!! holy :moo: I bet that was a change. I gained a lot of weight when I moved from Italy back to the States. I was in the Navy and weighed about 125 in IT, and once I got to the states I gained about 30 lbs. (of course got worse with time) I have often wondered why I gained, cause I ate like a cow in IT- (Bread, pasta...mmmm) I think it was the fast food. There just wasnt a lot of fast food there. I lived in Catania Siciliy- and I had to drive clear across the island to Palermo just to see a "Crappy D's" (McDonalds) There was no fast food joint on every corner. Plus if you went to a restaurant, dinner took like seriously- three hrs. It was all spread out and you didnt shovel food...Too bad it isnt like that in the States...

Ang

England to Texas was a bit of a shock to the system, but I'm enjoying it :)

Eating out is definately the main problem here. It's just so easy to run down to Sonic or Whataburger. Thing is though I don't really enjoy fast food!! LOL

I've been eating at home all week so far and am really enjoying all the veggies and fruit I'm eating. And less fat!!!

Mikeyandres2
09-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Good Afternoon To All!:wave:
I came across an interesting article today while looking for info on how much water I should be drinking daily. It was about natural weight loss, so I want to share some with all of you:

Here is what you can do to achieve a healthy weight:

1. First of all, avoid any fad diets and fast-acting solutions that guarantee incredible weight loss while you watch television and eat deserts.

2. Focus on being fit rather than being thin. Aiming to be thin often means restricted eating, over-exercising, and anxious obsessing about weight - there is nothing healthy about this mindset.

3. Eat five small meals per day. Find a small bowl the size of your two palms when they are placed next to each other - this should be the size of each meal. Eating throughout the day keeps you from becoming famished and overeating at your next meal.

4. Your last meal of the day should be no later than 7 p.m.

5. Eliminate candy, sugar, and soda from your diet. Instead of candy, chew on some fresh peppermint leaves or cinnamon sticks. Use honey sparingly as a replacement for sugar.

6. Eat more complex carbohydrates and ample quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables. Keep dairy to a minimum because most dairy products are high in saturated fat, which is not healthy for your cardiovascular system when consumed in larger amounts. Opt for the lower fat dairy products such as low-fat or non-fat milks, cheeses, and yogurt. Avoid fatty foods, processed or fried foods.

7. Drink plenty of water - at least 60 ounces a day. It is especially beneficial to drink plain hot water, as if you are drinking tea without the tea or sugar. Also, drink a tea made from boiling a lemon (with the peel).

8. Eat soup at least once a day. A low-salt nutritious soup rehydrates the body while also nourishing and flushing waste from the body. It has been found that people who eat one or more soups each day lose more weight than those who eat the same number of calories but don't eat soup. (Seek out homemade soup, because canned soups are filled with salt and chemicals.)

9. A 30-minute daily walk can do wonders for your metabolism. Try taking a walk 30 minutes in the morning or 30 minutes in the evening, two hours before bed. For toning you might replace one of the walks with some stretching activities such as tai chi or a mild form of yoga.

Advice in #2 will be my inspiration today...Hope it helps someone else as well!!:carrot:
I hope this helps

Amberelise
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Mikey, I do know about calorie king. But, Bandera isn't listed on anything and the calorie range for veggie burgers is out of this world. :(

I really like the BMI calculator concept. I'm off to check it out right now!

chubby cat
09-20-2007, 03:45 PM
:carrot:Thanks everyone.

I dont have any strategies right now. I want to try to eat right for now. Cause the overweight makes me lazy and grumpy all day. I dont even like to move around the house. May be I have some sort of depression cycle or something. I don't know.:(

And I am a real chocoholic. I can't control myself on this one. Any suggestion??:?:

Amberelise
09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
You know, there was an episode on Oprah that talked about the foods we eat being the 'cause of us feeling lazy, sloth-like and unmotivated. Now, I'm not saying Oprah is the be-all end-all of dieting facts, but it does make sense. The more partially hydrogenated fats and whatever other crap we can't pronounce that enters the system the worse we feel!

I've heard of a book that lists the top 10 power foods, but I haven't done the research to find exactly what book it is.

chasdeb
09-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I grew up in Southern, Illinois - my parents still live down there. It's very near Paducah, KY. :)

I'm in the Frankfort area. I do have a friend from Paducah.

cldwv
09-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Joined today. First post. This is hard for me. I've never said it out loud before. I've gotten fat and I've had enough. I've been thin all my life. Not tiny but thin. I left an abusive husband/marraige three years ago and can honestly say, I've let my self go. I've given up on myself. I stopped caring. All that is about to change. The size 16 pants that I'm currently wearing are the largest I'm allowing myself to get. I feel horrible. I look horrible. I want to start caring for and about myself again. Thanks for the invite!

Name (real name or name we can call you!): Cindy
About you: See above.
Why did you join? Community/support/share ideas
What is your goal? 60 lbs. I despise my stomach and the double chin!
How are you going to acheive your goal? Modified Atkins. Tons of veggies and very lean meat. Dusting off the treadmil and forcing myself, for my own good, to exercise.

mothermavis
09-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I would like to join too. I had joined 3FC a while ago but was not active, I recently had a chunk of free time on my hands, started looking around and am trying to really try to participate.

Have been looking around a bit and would like to have a real, active thread for support!!

Name Mother mavis is fine, a great name I picked up from the kid's friends
About you:41 - married, 2 boys - one in high school and 1 in college
Why did you join? support, ideas, motivation
What is your goal? to get back into all those clothes in my closet!
How are you going to acheive your goal?
Eat 5 small meals a day
log ALL in Fitday (it seems to help)
Exercise
See what other fabulous ideas you all have!!

blooeyedgirl
09-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Welcome Mothermavis and Cindy! I joined a few days ago and I've already got a different outlook on the weight loss thing! You're not alone!
Amberelise... if you happen to find the name of that book please share.. sounds interesting!

cldwv
09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Joined today. First post. This is hard for me. I've never said it out loud before. I've gotten fat and I've had enough. I've been thin all my life. Not tiny but thin. I left an abusive husband/marraige three years ago and can honestly say, I've let my self go. I've given up on myself. I stopped caring. All that is about to change. The size 16 pants that I'm currently wearing are the largest I'm allowing myself to get. I feel horrible. I look horrible. I want to start caring for and about myself again. Thanks for the invite!

Name (real name or name we can call you!): Cindy
About you: See above.
Why did you join? Community/support/share ideas
What is your goal? 60 lbs. I despise my stomach and the double chin!
How are you going to acheive your goal? Modified Atkins. Tons of veggies and very lean meat. Dusting off the treadmil and forcing myself, for my own good, to exercise.I forgot a few things.

I'm 39
Two children (17 & 20)
Sit on my butt all day - desk job
Haven't weighed myself yet. I'm planning on doing that Sunday.

Like another poster said, I hope we can have a really good, active thread.

Kristin150
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Name: Kristin

About you: I am a 31 year old, married, full-time professional with a dog that I love and spoil like he was my child.

Why did you join?: Need support and inspiration from others! Found these forums to be very valuable in this effort.

What is your goal?: My goal is to get healthy and feel good about myself. Losing weight is a part of that as well as getting back to running which I used to enjoy so much. 160 is my overall goal weight. I also hope to get pregnant in a year or two and I have made a promise to myself to be healthy and get my head on straight regarding food and exercise before getting pregnant. I want to ensure I don't pass along my issues to my child (or at least minimize the impact!).

How are you going to acheive your goal? Reduced calorie intake and exercise. Growing up I was a competitive figure skater. This is good and bad. I believe it set my metabolism to require quite a bit of movement to maintain. I am naturally athletic, though you wouldn't guess it from my current state. I am trying to get to the gym 5-6 times per week for cardio or strength training.

Other things to know about me: I have a history of an eating disorder. I think that while I haven't binged or purged per se in years, I still have very destructive habits when it comes to food and exercise. I have not been a yo-yo dieter, but 7 years ago when I hit my then all time high of 213 I embarked on a similar journey. I was able to get down to 156 and maintain this loss for nearly a year through a change of lifestyle (healthy diet and exercise). Unfortunately I was injured and unable to exercise for a few months. Thus began a downward (or upward : ) spiral. I never never thought I would find myself 30 pounds above my old all time high. I think depression played a major part in my slow return to this weight. I also suffered from hyper-thyroid (but never really benefited from the weightloss side effect!) and once the thyroid was 'fixed' it made my weight increase even more.

Long story short, I am glad to be here. I look forward to providing and receiving support from this group of newbies!

stellar
09-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Name (real name or name we can call you!): Katie

About you: I'm 20 years old, from USA. I've been struggling with weight for a while now.. My lowest weight was 120 and my highest weight was 220. (In a 6 year span btw)

Why did you join? Meet new people with similar goals and learn from them and share stories and.. MOTIVATION! Its so hard to talk to my skinny friends and expecting them to know what I'm going through.. Well, thats pretty much it.

What is your goal? I'd love to hit 150, and from there get down to maybe 130 or 125.. But for right now my main goal is 150 pounds.

How are you going to acheive your goal? Eating better and less, counting calories and fat, exercise.. All the normal stuff. As time goes on I might venture out to WeightWatchers or something like that.

:hug:

chubby cat
09-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Amberelise..did you get the names of the powerfoods from Oprah? Once I saw an episode with Dr. Mehmet Oz...he mentioned 10 power foods we should eat more often. Tomatoes, garlic, olive-oil are tree of them, I dont remember the rest but I can get those in a few days.

I am curious about one thing though. How do keep up with the depression during your PMS? I feel very much horrible and start to eat very unhealthy. If you guys have any advice...please let me know. Cause again I am feeling very unmotivated.:cry:

pinkislove
09-21-2007, 10:13 PM
How are I am so excited to see this group :carrot: I look forward to interacting with all of you here :)

Name (real name or name we can call you!): you guys can just call me pink

About you: I am 30, mother of 1, full time office worker, part time college student.

Why did you join? Long story short... I am tired of being so out of shape. I am not happy with how sluggish I feel (never mind how this extra weight looks!) especially with such a hectic schedule! I have been overweight all of my 20s and I know after having a baby four years ago, I need to really work at getting this weight off, it's not going to magically disappear. I'm just looking for a group of people who understand and can relate to all the ups and downs that happen when you are working on having a heathier lifestyle especially in a society filled with magic pills and the instant results kind of thinking.

What is your goal? My current goal is 155 pounds and a size 8/10 which I have not worn since 1993. I also would like to run a 5K and half-marathon (but those goals will become more defined as I actually start to improve my fitness level).

How are you going to acheive your goal? Calorie counting, exercise and learning healthy behaviors and habits.

calahan
09-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Tell us a little about yourself:
Name (real name or name we can call you!): Mindi
About you: I'm 29. Married. No kiddos...yet. :)
Why did you join? MOTIVATION!!!
What is your goal? 125...I'm about 15 lbs away. :)
How are you going to acheive your goal? Calorie counting, carb control & ...exercise, with focus on weight training.

mothermavis
09-22-2007, 09:32 AM
OK ladies, what are we doing this week to make our dreams of healthier bodies reality?

I am eating, oh so clean!! I am logging it all on Fitday to make sure I know exactly where I am.

I can't do any cardio yet, still on crutches from surgery a couple weeks ago, but I am going to do an upper body workout w Exercise TV, trying to go thru all those to see what's there, I figure we are already paying for cable TV, I might better use that then buy more videos. I have several I don't use. :o.
Besides, being oow I've been on the computer all day and shopped a little this week, so I can't spend any more money for a while. Our older child is in college and the budget is definitely tightened!!

I am also going to drink at least 96 oz of water.

Andi18
09-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Welcome to all the newcomers this week!! :wave: Hope you find the support and motivation that I do every time I log into this website!

what are we doing this week to make our dreams of healthier bodies reality?
I started my weekend off with a 45 minute walk with my 8 year old! It is so beautiful outside! After the walk around the neighborhood, we came back and played 15 minutes of Wii Tennis! You can get a really good workout with that if you get into it! I'm waiting for them to come out with DDR for the Wii so I can learn some dance moves! haha
I'll probably also try to my TJ video tonight. I didn't work out last night at all. One of my friends asked us to meet her and her kids for pizza, I had about 1.5 pieces of shrimp pizza and by the time I got home my gut was in knots. Not sure if it's the cheese or because it's getting close to TOM.
I will definitely be eating healthier this weekend and next week. Planning on going shopping for fresh fruits and veggies. I also want to add whey into my diet, bought a small package to try it out...now I just gotta get some stuff to put it in...I tried water and chocolate whey protein...not my favorite :barf:

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

cldwv
09-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Amberelise..did you get the names of the powerfoods from Oprah? Once I saw an episode with Dr. Mehmet Oz...he mentioned 10 power foods we should eat more often. Tomatoes, garlic, olive-oil are tree of them, I dont remember the rest but I can get those in a few days.

I am curious about one thing though. How do keep up with the depression during your PMS? I feel very much horrible and start to eat very unhealthy. If you guys have any advice...please let me know. Cause again I am feeling very unmotivated.:cry:If you "google" super foods, there are lists galore. Coincidence, I was researching this just last week. There are a lot of resources the only thing is, the 10 super foods vary depending on the source. It's interesting though.

cldwv
09-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Not such a hot start to the weekend for me. I slept in this morning and all I've had so far is a liter of diet tonic water. I was craving something like soda and the tonic is all I had in the fridge. I think I'm going to grill some chicken this afternoon for lunch and reserve the left-overs for salads later. I just returned from a trip so I have a ton of unpacking and cleaning to do. My son is home from college this weekend so I think we will hang out together.

Tomorrow will be my first official weigh in. I know I'm not going to like what I see but I promise to post the number, no matter what.

JC83
09-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Name (real name or name we can call you!): Jenny
About you: I am 24.I joined Weight Watchers in March and lost 18 pounds. Stopped going to meetings due to hectic work schedule. Gained some weight back and now rejoined meetings last week. First weigh in Tuesday! Eek! Live in a small town, manage a boutique, single, also go to school part time.
Why did you join? Excited to talk to people who will understand my journey. Most of my friends are tiny and healthy. They don't get me and WW at all!
What is your goal? I started at 170. I'd like to be around 120.
How are you going to acheive your goal? I'm doing the WW flex points program and trying to fit more activity into my daily routine.

allthecorn
09-23-2007, 03:22 AM
Name: Karen
About you: 36 yrs., Married 15 yrs., 3 boys (10, 11, 14). Have lived in Utah for past year and half. Moved here from Washington state (Only lived there for 2 years) Born and raised in California.
Why did you join? Support, Support, Support and motivation.
What is your goal? Lose weight and become healthier. Right now I experience depression:( and anxiety:o. I'm really hoping that weight loss will help improve my mental feelings, as well as my lack of desire to be around others.
How are you going to acheive your goal? Have begun WW again. I was a meeting member a few years back and lost 40lbs. Have since gained back 50 with 30 of that just in the past year. This time I am doing WW online with On the Go for my Palm Pilot because life is busy right now. I just started this past week and so far so good.

Good luck to each of you :cheer: I can't wait to get to know each of you!!!

cldwv
09-23-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm really hoping that weight loss will help improve my mental feelings, as well as my lack of desire to be around others.Karen, I know just how you feel. I recently went off of my medication because I just didn't want to take a pill every day AND I believe it contributes to my weight gain, which makes me even more depressed.

When you mentioned your lack of desire to be around others, well, that's totally me. I dread family functions (and the damn camera they are always putting in my face), I dread going out with my girlfriends because I know they know I've put on a lot of weight this past year or so, I've pretty much stopped dating.

Enough is enough I told myself. I'll weigh in later this morning and report back. I predict 200 lbs. My fear is that it will be more than that.

Happy Sunday everyone!

cldwv
09-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Drum roll...

The scale said 190 - on the dot! 40 lbs until I reach my first goal.

mothermavis
09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
cldwv, better than you expected! Good for you :carrot:

I will be a while getting everyone's name straight, but it's really great to see so many of us wanting to participate here.

The support of others going thru what I am and the motivation in seeing all those tickers move is HUGE for me.

cldwv
09-23-2007, 01:52 PM
The support of others going thru what I am and the motivation in seeing all those tickers move is HUGE for me.I agree. The support and knowledge that we are all in this together is huge! I still can't believe I weigh 190! I guess it's time to stop dwelling on that and get to work changing it!

I'm curious - anybody else out there doing a low-carb program? If so, what should I expect?

cldwv
09-23-2007, 01:57 PM
One more question...

How often do you all suggest I should weigh myself? I was thinking once a week but I don't have much experience doing this so I'm not sure if it's better to monitor myself a little more closely.

allthecorn
09-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi Cindy - Congrats on your scale victory today :bravo: I've always heard that you should only weigh yourself 1 time each week, at the same time, and in the same clothes because your body fluctuates so frequently. Myself, I can't stand the wait. I weigh daily, morning and night. I only log my weight one day - Mondays.

Thanks for welcoming me! I know there are so many people out there that experience the same issues with depression, medication and weight gain. I have quit taking meds a few times in the past, but always end up back on them. My doc told me this time I need to just accept that I need the meds and continue taking them. I told her exactly what you said... If I gain weight, my depression will get worse. It seems so obvious! Why don't these chemists come up with a different drug?

Hi Mother Mavis - I'm also glad to see we have found a great support group here.

Karen

allthecorn
09-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Welcome Jenny - I also have just started back on WW Flex Points plan. Lets both stick with it this time.

Karen

cldwv
09-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Here's a fun start to the week! I knew I shouldn't have done it but it was sitting there, taunting me. I did it. I stepped on the scale this morning and guess what? I weigh 5 pounds more this morning than I did yesterday morning!!! I'm freaking out. I didn't cheat. I was really, really good. I got up, went to the bathroom, then got on the scale. I didn't even have a glass of water. How can this be?

I can't find my way back to edit my weight counter either. Grrrrr.

mothermavis
09-24-2007, 09:00 AM
It's water weight or possibly TOM or just scale Gremlins!! Don't freak, don't worry, just keep on keeping on. Stick with it and get back on the scale at the weigh in day you had decided on.

My scale and my body play the same nasty tricks, so while I peek during the week, like Karen, I am trying to focus just on my official day's number. Otherwise, I would be depressed half the week about it!!!! :dizzy:

cldwv
09-24-2007, 09:20 AM
My scale and my body play the same nasty tricks, so while I peek during the week, like Karen, I am trying to focus just on my official day's number. Otherwise, I would be depressed half the week about it!!!! :dizzy:I know you're right! I'm not going to weigh myself again until Sunday, as planned.

Have you ever jumped up 5 pounds in one day? That seems like a whole lot. I could see it fluctuating a pound or two but 5? It's crazy. I'm not going to think about it.

Thanks for the encouragement!

How's everybody this morning?

saralou
09-24-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi Cindy!

Don't worry about stupid scales!

. I've lost 3lbs this week. I've decided to weigh myself on Friday; that way if I'm 'naughty' at the weekend (in the food sense, you understand) then I will have a whole week in front of me to make up for it. Seems to make sense as long as I don't make a habit of drinking/eating heavily every weekend!!

I have more good news that I'd like to share - I went swimming yesterday. It's a big deal as I went with my slimmer sister (who is lovely and would never think bad of me for my appearance so any judgement is in my head) and it was great. She goes to a very posh gym so it was fun to use their facilities anyway as they have a steam room/ spa pool/ sauna. We also did a bit in the gym too and she showed me how to do advanced sit-ups on the fitball - it was fun (and very funny when I feel off) We were so busy chatting that I didn't have time to worry about how I looked etc. A good day generally!

~Saralou

cldwv
09-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I have more good news that I'd like to share - I went swimming yesterday. It's a big deal as I went with my slimmer sister (who is lovely and would never think bad of me for my appearance so any judgement is in my head) and it was great. She goes to a very posh gym so it was fun to use their facilities anyway as they have a steam room/ spa pool/ sauna. We also did a bit in the gym too and she showed me how to do advanced sit-ups on the fitball - it was fun (and very funny when I feel off) We were so busy chatting that I didn't have time to worry about how I looked etc. A good day generally! That's awesome saralou!! It's little things like that, that make a big difference. At this point, I don't think I could be brave enough to go swimming, especially with my size 3 sister. I hate her!

Mikeyandres2
09-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Happy Monday To All!!:carrot:
Monday is also the day that I plan on weighing myself, and boy am I nervous!! I was wondering if we should set a "Weigh-In Day"... like they do @ WW, so let's have a vote on that one. I also want to say Hi to my fellow NYer MotherMavis:wave: And welcome to all of you who have joined us too! Cindy, I had encountered that same problem on my LAST attempt at this. I'm not sure of your exercise routine but it could be that the weight gain is caused by muscle. To all of you who have included weight training into your exercise routine..first of all muscle weighs as much as fat (1lb of muscle=1 lb of fat) So if by means of cardio, jogging, we see that the scales have not moved or gained weight, it could be that we have replace some fat for muscle. We also have to understand that muscle is more dense than fat, so even if the scales don't move, you would feel a difference in the way your clothes fit. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories. That's a good thing for us!!
I hope I explained this so everyone can understand it ( writing is not my strong subject here! ) This is my second week and the first week the scale did not change. I will face the music and jump on the scales later.
Have a great day all!

cldwv
09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Good luck with the scale Mikeyandres2! I'm hiding mine until Sunday.

I've been obsessing about the 5 pounds all morning. The only thing I did different on Sunday is I didn't drink lots of water. Normally, I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day.

Here's something fun that will make you feel like a cow... I work in a secure facility. Our floors are hollow because of cableing, etc. Every time I get up to get water or tea, you can hear me a mile away, clomping along on the hollow floors. Sounds like an earthquake!

cldwv
09-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Oh, I forgot. I vote yes for an "official" weigh in day.

Augustchild
09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
An official weigh day would be good. I need to get out of the habit of weighing every day (it can be depressing!).

Mikeyandres2
09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Cindy,
just so you know, I requested to add you as a friend on myspace.com, so if you see me, Melissa (mikeyandres2) that's who it is! * The only pic I have of me on their is about 1.5 years old...that's was my last attempt at dieting and had lost 30 lbs! ( of course I HAD to gain 40 lbs back....)

cldwv
09-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Cindy,
just so you know, I requested to add you as a friend on myspace.com, so if you see me, Melissa (mikeyandres2) that's who it is! * The only pic I have of me on their is about 1.5 years old...that's was my last attempt at dieting and had lost 30 lbs! ( of course I HAD to gain 40 lbs back....)Awesome! I'll get on there later today.

mothermavis
09-24-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm good with an official day. I had been using Friday, but maybe Monday would be better, then we can use that for motivation to be good on the weekend.
I did have a beer yesterday! I could have drank the whole 18 pack DH has in the fridge. :devil:

Hey Melissa, you are in the Hamptons? We are upstate, near the Saratoga/Lake George area. Go Yankees!

cldwv
09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Did anybody watch Bobby Flay's Throw-down last night? It was a puffy taco throw-down and OMG, did I want one!

It got me thinking, if you could have anything to eat today with no consequences, what would it be?

I'll take a large Mineos pizza! Best pizza ever. If you're in Pittsburgh, try it!

Mikeyandres2
09-24-2007, 12:19 PM
MotherMavis::write:
It must be beautiful up there this time of year! I went to Saratoga Springs last fall to see the fall foliage...the leaves haven't changed on the Island yet:( I've been looking forward to it! It's good to have a Yankees fan here!:dancer:
Glad to see everyone responding to a weigh-in day.I myself had a terrible weekend. I find that the weekends are hardest for me, it's easier to when I'm working so that I have my lunch and that's it.
To All You Mothers Out There- How are you dealing dinnertime?
Since I am have been cooking healthier meals, I find the the kids are NOT crazy about this at all. But I have tried (and failed) with making them a meal and myself a seperate meal. So my question is-how are you all dealing with this? Are you doing the 2 meals or making the lifestyle change for the whole family?

cldwv
09-24-2007, 12:36 PM
To All You Mothers Out There- How are you dealing dinnertime? Since I am have been cooking healthier meals, I find the the kids are NOT crazy about this at all. But I have tried (and failed) with making them a meal and myself a seperate meal. So my question is-how are you all dealing with this? Are you doing the 2 meals or making the lifestyle change for the whole family?Hmmm. My kids are older. I have a daughter who is just about to turn 17 and a son who is 20 and in college. My son is only home on the weekends so it's just me and my daughter during the week. I think it's considerably harder to manage with smaller kids. For the most part, we eat differently so I have to plan accordingly.

When my kids were younger and I was still married and dieting, I made the family meal and my meal. It's sometimes hard to manage but planning ahead is a big help.

mothermavis
09-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Cindy,
I'm not up on Bobby Flay's, is it a Food TV show? It sounds yummy regardless!!

My kids are the same ages as yours, 2 boys , one who is almost 20 and in his 2nd year of college, but this semester is living home and commuting, #2 is almost 17.

Melissa, little kids are tough, do they like it any better if they can help? That used to work with my older, he liked anything he had helped make! Also sometimes I would adapt less than other, like if they were having chicken, I might shake and bake theirs and just bake mine at the same time, covered in salsa. (My fave food) If they had broccoli w cheese (the only way they or DH eat it, I would just pull mine out before I put the cheese on.

If they are having food from a box, (mine used to love mac & cheese, spaghettios etc), then you may need to make something else.

The other thing I like, if your budget allows is frozen dinners. (I know when my guys were little I was a SAHM and my budget was really, really tight! )
Some of them aren't bad. I buy them for work lunch alot, can get them for $2 or so on sale so I can lunch all week for $10, I just bring snacks from home.

On a happier note, yes, it is gorgeous up here, but the colors are just starting. They say they may be less vivid this year because it's been so dry. So far, that looks like it may be true. :(

Everyone else!! I love that our thread is getting busier, this is so much fun!! And it keeps my hands out of the fridge!!

Amberelise
09-24-2007, 01:06 PM
I've been using Friday, too, as my weight in day. But, I can just give my weight in results from the most recent Friday on whatever day we're using. I don't think it will make a huge difference. :)

cldwv
09-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Bobby Flay is on the Food Network. I think I'm a glutton for punishment. I watch the Food Network at night, salivating.

I totally agree with what mavis said. I think you can cook the family meal and adapt yours to be more diet friendly.

saralou
09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd be happy to give my most recent weigh info on Monday too - it's a good plan!

saralou
09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
At this point, I don't think I could be brave enough to go swimming, especially with my size 3 sister. I hate her!

Ha - I know it's crazy how family can be such different shape and sizes - does mean I can't blame my genes. I'm going to try do my exercise dvd tonight: if I'm not feeling to great there's a really short section! My sister's really sporty though. Any general tips for motivating yourself to exercise? I can't be the only one who's not that keen!!:woops:

cldwv
09-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Any general tips for motivating yourself to exercise? I can't be the only one who's not that keen!!:woops:OMG! I h.a.t.e. exercising! The only thing that works for me is to force myslef and not let myself off the hook.

I DVR the daytime shows like the View, Martha, Dr. Phil, etc. and watch while on the treadmill. That helps a bit.

mothermavis
09-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I am not sure how motivating this is, but we are all looking for the exact same things. I also hate to exercise.

I tried to read on the elliptical.
But I am :o
A: too uncoordinated
B: too blind (I can't hold the book close enough to see it) and if I leave it on the elliptical the type is too small
C: too lazy - I get distracted and all the sudden it's taking me forever to get my heart rate up cause I am not concentrating!!

So now, when I get on, I turn on the TV and try to forget that I am exercising!!

I am also trying to use more Exercise TV (different videos) - if you have that exercise on demand on your TV, take a look.

Also, exercise that's not boring, like rollerblades or snowshoes (I plan to dig mine out again this winter) or walking outside.

saralou
09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
I haven't got exercise tv (not sure we have that in England) I've got a little collection of DVD's and I use a pilates thing from YouTube. Only annoying thing is the instructors are so skinny. I know it's supposed to be motivating, but I would rather see the instructor actually struggle a bit. There's a tv presenter here called Davina McCall who does exercise DVDs that are actually pretty good as you can see she's struggling along with you. I do think that you've got to be honest with yourself; if you've never been that into exercise it's not going to just happen is it? Anyone had a turn around from exercise-phobia??

:workout:

Sorry, I seem to be all about the questions today. I suppose I am yet to be convinced that I really will become someone who exercises regularly but then part of me doesn't believe I'll actually lose all this weight.Quite a conundrum!

cldwv
09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I tried to read on the elliptical.
But I am :o
A: too uncoordinated
B: too blind (I can't hold the book close enough to see it) and if I leave it on the elliptical the type is too small
C: too lazy - I get distracted and all the sudden it's taking me forever to get my heart rate up cause I am not concentrating!!I hope I donít offend when I say this but the mental image I got was hilarious. More than that, the mental image of me trying to read on a treadmill or elliptical was hilarious & frightening.

You know those people who run on the treadmill without holding the rails? How do they do it? I have a friend who runs BACKWARDS on the treadmill because it works ďdifferent muscle groups.Ē Freak!

I canít walk on the treadmill without holding on. Itís more of a vertigo thing with me. If I donít hold the rails, I get dizzy and think Iím going to die. Itís not that Iím tired or anything. I just get this freaked out feeling.

The thought of me trying to read a book or magazine on there sends me into a panic!

Mikeyandres2
09-24-2007, 03:52 PM
:running:I have noticed that some forums on here have "challenges" I have to agree, I hate exercise myself!:woops: If we could come up with a challenge ourselves, that we are all participating in, it might motivate us!! According to Dr. Oz, we should be taking 10,000 steps a day. I think that translates to 5 miles a day. It is unrealistic for me to track my steps all day long!( I am confined to computer all day at work) I propose a walking challenge, but should we track miles or time? ( 15 miles a week or 5 hours a week?) Let's put our heads together!!:listen: Let's put this "challenge" together for the 1st of October 2007!!

cldwv
09-24-2007, 04:00 PM
A challenge is a great idea! What do you have in mind?

I know I'm not getting anywhere near 10,000 steps a day. I sit in an office all day then I sit in a car.

pinkislove
09-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I love the idea of a challenge! Maybe we can start out small like an 8 week challenge with one goal we would like to accomplish in that 8 week period and weekly goals each week of the challenge to help get us there(like drinking more water, exercising a certain number of times per week, etc.). Each person picks their own goals and we report weekly on how we are doing. Just an idea --- we can shape our challenge anyway we want to :)

Weekly weigh-ins sound like a good (and scary, lol) idea.

Question - does anyone here keep a separate diet/fitness journal? I am also on LiveJournal (am I allowed to say that? :?:) and have been thinking about starting a diet/fitness blog here but just would like to know who's reading and getting to know people. For those of you with blogs on here do you find them to be interactive?

Mikeyandres2
09-24-2007, 04:32 PM
I have found the following walking workout which sounds reasonable:
It is 10 weeks long:

Week 1: 4x per week 35 minutes(2 miles)
Week 2: 4x 35 minutes
Week 3: 4x 39 min (2.25 miles)
Week 4: 5x 43 min (2.5 miles)
Week 5: 5x 47 min (2.75 miles)
Week 6: 5x 51 min (3 miles)
Week 7: 5x 51 min (3.25)
Week 8: 5x 53 (3.5)
Week 9: 5x 56 (3.75)
Week 10: 5x 60 (4)

maintain week 10 for 3 weeks.

Sarisita
09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Is it too late to join??

I've been reading through the forums on 3FC the past couple days, and I'd love to be part of what you ladies have going on here! It looks like there's been a lot of support already, and it just seems like this challenge will be that much easier to conquer, knowing that we're not going through it alone.

Name: Saris
About you: I'm a 23 year old college student stuck in the midwest! I'll be getting my Psychology degree in December. I can't wait to read REAL books again -- no more textbooks! :) I love kids and camping (was a camp counselor for 5 years!) and I just got my first ever puppy, Bella, earlier this year.
Why did you join? I need to try something different-- and I think that having a group of friends who can encourage and congratulate us on our journey will make all the difference.
How are you going to achieve your goal? I don't want to overwhelm myself into failure, so I think I'm going to start out pretty simple-- eat healthier foods, eat less "bad" food, and bump up the exercise. I actually really enjoy exercising once I'm doing it-- my problem is motivating myself to get going!

It sounds like this is a great group -- I'm excited to get to know everyone!!

cldwv
09-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Wohoo! Sarista joins the group.

The more active we are here the more fun it will be.

Mikeyandres2
09-24-2007, 05:09 PM
If anyone is interested joining this challenge and is just starting out exercising and/or wants to complete a "beginner" program, let me know ( I can post them)...this program starts @ 3x a week/15 mins and ends at 4x week @ 32 mins. There is also an intermediate: 4x week/25 min and ends at 5x @ 50 min. I like this idea since everyone is at different stages, so we all get to participate regardless!:carrot:

cldwv
09-24-2007, 05:16 PM
If anyone is interested joining this challenge and is just starting out exercising and/or wants to complete a "beginner" program, let me know ( I can post them)...this program starts @ 3x a week/15 mins and ends at 4x week @ 32 mins. There is also an intermediate: 4x week/25 min and ends at 5x @ 50 min. I like this idea since everyone is at different stages, so we all get to participate regardless!:carrot:I'm in!

Mikeyandres2
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Pinks, I see we have another NY'er here...are you in NYC?

cldwv
09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Update! I just went down to the gym here at work where they have a professional scale. The kind you find in a doctor's office. It reads 204.

In a nutshell, I've gained 14 pounds since Sunday morning. Holy crap!!

I guess I'd rather start off with the true number rather than deluding myself. I'll go back and adjust my counter.

pinkislove
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes I am :) (and a Yankees Fan too) :carrot:

cldwv
09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Can anybody tell me how to find my way back to the counters so I can either edit mine or re-do it?

cldwv
09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Can anybody tell me how to find my way back to the counters so I can either edit mine or re-do it?Nevermind. I figured it out. See the critter with the hair standing up on my counter...

That was me when I stepped on the scale.:dizzy:

cldwv
09-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I wrote a piece about "super foods" for my blog today for anybody who is interested. It's here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=37903513&blogID=312978224

Mikeyandres2
09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
That's for making me laugh...not about you gaining weight, but about the guy with the hair....I REALLY needed it since I'm stuck at work....:faint:

allthecorn
09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm in for the challenge. It finally cooled off enough today to begin walking outdoors. I started today and completed 45 minutes on my lunch hour.

Cindy - Don't worry about your gain. Just keep looking toward your goal. I know my weight fluctuates alot daily. I believe that is why the diet experts tell us to only check one time each week.

Have a good night and a great Tuesday everyone!!!

Karen

JC83
09-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Cindy- I WORSHIP food network. And love Throwdown with Bobby Flay. Bummed I missed the taco one. He usually loses, but saw one last week where he beat 2 ladies at a pie throwdown. Watched Emeril tonight and he made Acorn Squash Risotto. I was drooling from the couch. Too bad it was loaded with cream, butter, and high sodium broth.

My WW weigh in day is today. Wish me luck!

saralou
09-25-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi all! Good Morning from a chilly England!

Cindy - I'm sorry that the scales keep telling you different things. Have you thought of having a pair of jeans to try on each week to see if their looser or perhaps keeping track of your waist measurement. I was just thinking that instead of freaking out about the scales you could focus on something else! In the meantime, join me as someone who wants never to see the scale over 200 again once we've lost these first few pounds.

Sarista - Hiya! Glad you joined. I've just finished my studies so completely understand your need to run away from text books!

Everyone - I'm up for doing the challenge but can I do it in aerobics? I'm going to try walk places but it doesn't really excite me and also I live in the centre of my town so it will be really embarrassing if anyone I know sees me. Anyway, my plan is to start with 35 mins of aerobics 4x a week and see where I go from there.

~Saralou

mothermavis
09-25-2007, 07:22 AM
All- have we decided on a weigh in day?
Also, for the challenge, my vote is for exercise time, if we go for 900 minutes, that is 30 minutes a day 30 of the 31 days in October. Is that too much?
It doesn't have to be something tough every day, just real effort to get of the couch and move the duff, that also allows for all our different interests, whether treadmill or walking or aerobics class.

I want to try that walking workout Michelle found and then I will use my elliptical on off or rainy days.

I hope to lose 7 lbs by Halloween!!!! :devil:

Saris :welcome2: We are all glad you're here!

Sara- I'm sorry they don't have exercise TV in England, but you can get it online too if it's anything you want to see. I don't know that I could work out in front of the computer, (too small area where we have it) but it's a good place to try it before you buy it, type thing.
Where are you in England? I was fortunate enough to go to London for a week back in the 80's (during the whole Boy George & Culture Club time - lol ) I loved it and my oldest son and I are hoping to go in the next few years.

Cindy, I like your little counter walker guy, too cute- and no I was not offended by your visual of me trying to do anything besides the elliptical when I am on there. I am 41 years old and still fall UP the stairs.:dizzy:

Pink, I am glad you are a Yankee's fan too. When I fall upstairs, I bleed pinstripes!!

saralou
09-25-2007, 08:16 AM
MotherM - Can we include walking? I mean 30 mins a day of hardcore Cardiovascular seems pretty, well, hardcore. This afternoon, I'll be walking up to work which takes 40mins - will that count?! As to your other question -I'm from a place in the middle of England where I'm staying for a couple of weeks but I move to London after that for new job/be close to boyfriend etc. I love it but I'm living on the outskirts as London is all a bit too noisy for me! I actually did a year of college in Massachusetts, so I'm equally a big fan of the States - I loved it there!

Hope everyone is alright today, am still full from my big breakfast and enjoying the fact that everything I ate was 'allowed' on my diet!

mothermavis
09-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I think what ever exercise works for you. That way it works for all of us. What's everybody else think???

I am not going to be able to do 30 minutes of hard anything every day yet, I am thinking if I'm doing 30 minutes, so days it will be 30 minutes of walking the dogs, or walking the DH :p , some days a video, some days the elliptical, in the winter I like to snowshoe. I just want to make an effort to start moving for 30 minutes every day. That is my goal for me. Right now, some days I am really good, and some days I am a SLUG. I want to try and be more consistent (and I'm hoping I will find something that I really enjoy doing)

cldwv
09-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I like Monday as our weigh in day. Do we all agree?

I know now that my home scale is not correct so I'll weigh at work on the professional scale each Monday morning and report back to you guys.

I also really like the 900 minute challenge that MM suggested. 30 minutes of activity, no matter what it is, shouldn't be that hard for us to attempt. It can be 900 minutes of what ever form of exercise we choose, right? Do we all agree on the challenge?

Oh JC83, you and me both. I have a huge crush on Bobby Flay (Except he has man boobs. Have you noticed?) Try to catch the puffy taco throwdown! I can't remember who won because I was too busy drooling and sweating and rubbing my tummy! I'm such a dork!

I was in Cleveland, OH last week for a concert (Blaqk Audio - don't know if anyone here is familiar? I'm in love with BAs Davey Havok, also lead singer of AFI.) Anyway, my friend and I were staying at the Ritz Carlton. After the concert we pulled up to the hotel for valet service and I'm looking out the window and shout, "holy crap! Is that Bobby Flay?" This guy was walking into the hotel lobby and I swear it looked just like him. My friend friend just said, "No you dork. It's not Bobby."

Update then I have to go straighten my hair. I've reunited with my treadmill. Walked 30 minutes last night then got up early and walked 20 minutes this morning. Didn't cheat where food is concerned so I should be on track.

Good morning everyone!

pinkislove
09-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Good morning everyone ---that is if it's morning where you are otherwise hello :D

mothermarvis - I love that idea of logging in exercise minutes for the month considering that we all have different things we like to do for exercise.

jc83 - good luck at your WW weigh in!

I also agree Monday as the weigh in day, will we be switching to weekly threads in October or just keeping one big thread or doing a monthly thread?

cldwv
09-25-2007, 12:26 PM
I also agree Monday as the weigh in day, will we be switching to weekly threads in October or just keeping one big thread or doing a monthly thread?Weekly might be easier to manage and keep up with everyone but what ever you all want.

Amberelise
09-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Cindy, I read your blog. Very nice. I actually found the book I was talking about and ordered it from Amazon. SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods. . . blah blah blah. So, I'll share any good information I get from the book.

Like I said, I'm good with Mondays. I'll just put in my previous Friday's weigh in. (I really really don't want to weigh myself more than ocne a week. I want to be SURE to see results each time I step on that scale.)

The 900 minute challenge is a great idea, Imo.

cldwv
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I was reading an article/review of Judith Beck’s book, “The Beck Diet Solution,” this morning. What sets Beck’s book apart is that it brings the principles of cognitive behavior therapy into the field of weight loss. One of the exercises the author asks readers to do is write a list of 15 or 20 reasons why they want to lose weight and read the list every single day. I thought this might be fun for us to try. I also think that it could be very motivating. If you can’t list 15, try 10 or 5. It doesn’t matter. Anybody want to play along? Why do YOU want to lose weight?

1. I want my ex to be aware of what he’s lost the next time I see him. I’d like him to eat his heart out.

2. I don’t ever want to buy a larger size than I am wearing – ever.

3. I want to have a holiday picture taken with my children this year and I don’t want to be afraid of the camera and I don’t want to see a double chin.

4. I want to look less pregnant than my sister who is eight months pregnant.

5. I want to feel good about myself again. I’ve had enough of the self-loathing. It’s time to move on. It’s been three years! Get over it.

6. I want to be fit again. I really do. I used to run and bike and play golf and play softball. Not that long ago either! Why did I choose being a sloth over doing these things I like?

7. I want to be able to bend over to shave my legs in the shower and not have my belly get in the way. I know that’s a weird one but something thin people take for granted. I used to be one of those thin people.

8. I want to be the young, cool, pretty mom again. That’s what my kid’s friends used to always tell them.

9. I want to not be afraid to date. I want to be able to see this guy (a doctor) who has been pursuing me, but hasn’t seen me in two years. I want to be able to accept his invitations and I want to knock his socks off.

10. I want to get all of those clothes out from the back of the closet. You know, all those clothes that still have the tags on them. The ones you’ll wear when you loose the weight. I want to wear them. Most of them are pretty amazing.

mothermavis
09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Cindy, that is very cool. I love your list. I have to think about this one for a little while. I'll get my list up later.

pinkislove
09-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Great idea!

I want to be fit. I hate being out of breath or winded from stair climbing or other day to day activities.

I want to shop in the ďnormalĒ sized stores. Granted I am thankful for Lane Bryant and Avenue (because in general I can find something I like and feel fashionable in) but I would rather be wearing an 8/10 versus an 18.

I donít want to avoid big events because of the ordeal of having to buy clothes and thinking about how everyone else there will notice how big I have gotten since the last time they saw me (and donít get me started about avoiding taking pictures).

Some people have ex-boyfriends, I have a snarky ex-friend that apparently loves to comment about me and my weightÖ so I want to give her something to talk about (or something to shut her up, lol)

I would like to have another baby in two to three years and while I had a fairly easy pregnancy the first time around, I would like to ensure that I am at the healthiest weight and fitness level.

I want to wear heels again. Itís funny but before I gained the weight I lived in 4 inch heels without any problemsÖ and as time has gone on I avoid shoes because my legs hurt or itís hard to shop for a nice pair that does what I need them to do while being fashionable.

I want to enjoy next summer and include trips to the beach or the amusement park.

I want to enjoy my 30s instead of thinking about how I need to do something about my weight --- when I have time, I need to make the time NOW.

I need more energy.

I want to live a more physical lifestyle. I would like to try new things like rock climbing, rollerblading, etc without being self-conscious.

Andi18
09-25-2007, 02:31 PM
I do like the challenge idea. I am doing a similar challenge on another thread. Mondays are fine by me as well. I weigh in on Saturdays for The Biggest Loser thread so I'll use that weigh in... (unless of course Monday's weigh in is better ;) ) I am trying to get away from weighing myself every day as I get discouraged that way. :nono:

My good news for the week:
I have lost 10" in 15 days!

JC83
09-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Got weighed in WW meeting today. Lost 3.4 pounds. Yay! I worked really hard and hope I can stick with it. Walked every night. I try to walk in the morning but can't motivate myself to do it before work. I love walking at night but get nervous walking by myself sometimes.

Loved your lists everyone. I have a new incentive to add to my list. Ex- boyfriend is engaged and I want to look fabulous the next time he sees me. (Have to go to the wedding b/c he's marrying my sister's best friend.) Yikes! Gotta love small towns. Hopefully, I'll be confident and a new me by next October at their wedding. Maybe I"ll even have my own handsome date on my arm!;)

JC83
09-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Also, it was my Grandma's birthday today and we took her to a cider mill/pie pantry. My biggest problem is sweets. Put a cupcake or cookie in front of me and watch out b/c I'll run you over. I had a glass of cider and lots of water instead of the rhubarb pie ala mode I always get (and was so desperately craving!) Overall, glad I didn't give in to my weakness but boy, was it hard! Good luck to everyone this week!

chubby cat
09-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Hi Everyone!!

It seems everyone is doing great in their quest. I am bit sad. I miss my country and folks. :(And thinking about my family I realized it was soo easy to maintain your health then. We occassionally had fast food. Mom used to make everything from scratch, her food was so tasty. And there were very few processed food around the house. The only bad pointer was we ate rice too much.

I came across a diet named my pyramid diet. maybe you all know about that. But I realized how I can incorporate more fruits and veggies in my diet. Hope it'll help me.

I also thought Monday would be splendid for weighing in. But I am not sure about the 900 min challenge. See you all around.

cldwv
09-26-2007, 07:38 AM
JC - Good for you!!

I must say, I am impressed with your willpower. Sweets aren't my thing but take me to a pizza place and I'm not sure I could do the same.

The 3.4 lb. loss is very good. Keep going girl.

mothermavis
09-26-2007, 09:10 AM
JC, great job on your weight loss. 3.4 lbs is awesome!!
Andi, 10 inches in fifteen days, WOW! What are you doing girl? I want to do it too!!

I had to think about the list for a while.

1. I want to be healthy.
2. I want to wear the skinny clothes in my closet.
3. I want to run/jog. I used to run a little and while I was never fast, I had great legs!!
4. I want to wear heels again. Like Pink, I love heels and it is true that the heavier your are, the less comfortable they are.
5. I want to look hot on the beach next April, when we go on vacation. Just for my hubby. I had surgery on my leg a few weeks ago, I know I am still going to have a very angry looking scar in April as the incisions are quite large. ( One is straight, the other looks rather like Zorro was here!!) so if my leg looks like crap, the rest of me needs to be better to compensate!
6. I want to wear a bikini on that beach.
7. I want to have great tank top arms. I am very aware of the lack of tone in my upper arms.
8. I want to look in the mirror and love what is looking back.
9. I do not want to have a "butt in the front" or a shelf butt anymore.
10. I want to look good on a motorcycle or bicycle again. I hate my butt hanging over the seat.

pinkislove
09-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Good morning everyone! How is Wednesday treating you guys? I am unfortunately sick, I have a serious cold going on (thanks to this ever changing weather) but I am at work just trying not to snooze at my keyboard. I hope to be better so I can start our challenge on Monday
:goodvibes

Andi - congrats on those 10" I too had limited myself to twice a week on the weighing in (Mondays and Thursdays) because I become discouraged with the numbers (even though losing inches is more impressive imo)

JC - congrats on 3.4 pounds! and on your willpower (I have to agree with Cindy when it comes to pizza... it's one of my weaknesses, so I just try to avoid it all together until I can enjoy it in moderation)

cldwv
09-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I hate Wednesdays even more than Mondays! I'm just feeling blah today. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well Pink. Don't over-do the exercise while sick. I've done that before and it always made me feel worse.

I walked on the treadmill this morning before work again. I think I'm going to keep that up, in addition to the evening walk. It can't hurt and hopefully I'll see results even faster.

I made sausage and cheese stuffed mushrooms last night (I'm doing low carb so those things are good) and they were very good. I think I'm going to go home for lunch and have some left over roast turkey. I made my daughter a toasted turkey and colby jack sandwich to take to school for lunch this morning and I swear, I could have eaten every single roll in the bag. They smelled so good. There was some melted cheese on the tray after I wrapped the sandwich. I started to pick at it and my daughter said, "mom, don't!" "There might be bread crumbs in that cheese." I ate it anyway.

JC83
09-26-2007, 12:09 PM
What a dreary Wednesday here in Michigan. Cold and rainy. Makes me want to lounge on the couch watching tv all day. I never know what to do with myself on rainy days when I can't walk outside. I don't know what I'll do this winter when I can't walk outside. I hate workout videos, I never end up doing them.

I love love love Weight Watchers. I don't mean want to sound preachy but it's simple to follow and easy to stick to. You don't deprive yourself of anything you want and you just follow the healthy guidelines. (Lots of water, veggies, and fruits. Whole grain foods, 2 servings of milk, healthy oils, and portion control.) I hated diets and have tried everything and I'm really having a good time eating healthier and creating a change for life.

Andi- Congrats on your 10"!
Farah- more fruits and vegetables is the hardest part of the WW plan for me to follow. I don't cook very often so it's hard sometimes. I hope your day starts looking up and you are feeling cheerier soon.
Pink- Hope you are feeling better soon! Lots of soups and fluids. Maybe a good movie or two. :)
Cindy: I'm impressed you walk 2 times a day. I wish I had a treadmill to walk on while I watch tv/movies.

Andi18
09-26-2007, 05:48 PM
I'll join in: Why do I want to lose weight?

1. I want to be healthy by my 30th birthday next year.

2. I am tired of being overweight, I want to be skinny for once in my life!

3. I want to have the energy to run around with my son.

4. We are looking at becoming :preg: within the next year or two and I want to have a healthy pregnancy when that happens.

5. I want to enjoy :lucky: like I did when I first met my husband and weighed 70 pound less.

6. I don't want to have another double chin picture taken!

7. I want to look good in a swimsuit.

8. I want to no longer have cottage cheese looking legs.

9. I want to shock my family next time they see me (@ Christmas)

10. We may be moving to San Diego in '08 or '09 and I want to be healthy looking so that I can enjoy the beach in a tankini and not worry about people looking at how big my legs and arms are.

Andi18
09-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks girls for the grats on the inches lost! The support means a lot to me as most of my friends and co-workers have no idea how hard I am struggling and want to lose this weight!

Mothermavis all I am doing is sticking to my exercises and eating low calorie (between 1000-1500)! I work out at least 30 minutes a day, either on the treadmill or doing Turbo Jam. On the weekends I try to work out more. My husband is in grad school so I either have to workout late at night when he gets home (treadmill at our apartment clubhouse) or after I get my son to bed (Turbo Jam in the living room). I used to wake up early to exercise (last time I lost the weight) but can no longer handle getting up at 4:30. When I lost the weight for my wedding I used to get up at 4:30 to either do lap swimming with my best friend (she was getting ready for her wedding as well) or walk 2 miles with my mom (we rented my parents basement before our wedding), it was so easy back then because I always had someone relying on meeting me. After my husband and I were married, we moved 6 hours away from our family and friends so now I have nobody to work out with in the mornings so instead I work out at night now and am able to stick with it!

We'll see how well I do today. I went to work for 2 hours and left feeling ill...shaking and cold and really tired.

cldwv
09-26-2007, 06:05 PM
JC - congrats on 3.4 pounds! and on your willpower (I have to agree with Cindy when it comes to pizza... it's one of my weaknesses, so I just try to avoid it all together until I can enjoy it in moderation)Hey pink - when I was dieting a few years ago I used to make a pizza that really got me through some rough days. I made a whole wheat dough in my bread machine. I topped it with olive oil, broccoli, and parmesan cheese. It's really healthy and really good. Parmesan has little to no fat!

mothermavis
09-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Andi - Feel better soon.
You inspire me! I have been looking at Turbo Sculpt on Exercise TV, just watching makes me tired!!

Andi18
09-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Andi - Feel better soon.
You inspire me! I have been looking at Turbo Sculpt on Exercise TV, just watching makes me tired!!

:o aww shucks! Thanks mothermavis! I really do like the turbo jam, it can really :kickbutt: :D My abs are sore, but it feels so good! haha

JC83
09-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Andi- What's Turbo Jam? I need to buy a new exercise video soon with the weather changing I need a new workout regime.

mommy2monkeys
09-27-2007, 04:59 AM
Hi!! :carrot: I know it's almost October, but I just joined the forums the other day and have been making my way around to find a group that fits. Your group seems right - I'm so new to all of this! If you would have me, I'd love to join.

Name (real name or name we can call you!): monkeys or bree works..
About you: I am about to be 27, I have two wonderful boys age 2 1/2 and almost 1, and i have been married for 3 1/2 years to my love. I am a sugar addict and I love The Office!
Why did you join? I am tired of being a big girl, and moping around waiting for lightning to strike. There's no time like now to make the changes I need to be happy with myself again!
What is your goal? I want a healthy life, I want to be able to project that to my boys, and I want to look and feel good. More than a number exactly, my goal is a feeling that I'm chasing.
How are you going to acheive your goal? Learning how and what to eat, exercise and changing my lifestyle.
Why do YOU want to lose weight? I sure can't come up with 15 bullets now, but heres my list:
1. I want to be the woman my husband married again.
2. I want the energy to keep up with my boys.
3. I deserve better than the way I'm treating myself currently.
4. I miss my clothes!!
5. Belly jelly is so embarrassing.

I am definately down with the challenge, and I am a complete beginner. I am so proud of myself, I didn't procrastinate and I got on the exercise bike and stayed on it for 15 minutes. I wasn't able to ride straight through, but I didn't hop off at the first sign of discomfort.

Yay! I am excited! I think this will be the beginning of something great!

cldwv
09-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Welcome Bree! Four days until our first official weigh in, right? Our 900 minute challenge starts then too. I'm so excited because I know we will have have success and I'm counting on all of you to kick my butt if I start making excuses!

Did I tell you all I named my treadmill Davey? Well, it's time to go get on Davey.:devil:

mothermavis
09-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Cindy,
That is too funny, it made me lol. I think I will follow your lead and name my elliptical. I love that.

I don't konw if you all have On demand TV where you are, I know Sara said not in England, but if you do, check out the Exercise on Demand feature, really cool. You can order videos if you want or you can just do theirs. They actually have a spot on their website where it will just choose 3 or 5 days worth of workouts for you. Great for those like me who have no idea what they are doing!! :dizzy:

Bree, Welcome to our little group. I think we are all pretty new to this also, so just jump with both feet and here we go! I have two boys also but mine are 16 & 19.

Pink & Andi- hope you are both better today.

How is everyone else doing today? I am still learning names!!

I am a little bummed. I went to the Dr yesterday, don't think I mentioned prior but I had surgery a few weeks back. I have a ton of stitches in my leg so that may slow me down a bit for a challenge, and now it is infected so I can't do a darn thing according to the Dr. no walking, still no driving (that is driving me crazy) , no work, blah, blah. But I will start when I am cleared and see if I can get to our 900 goal by the end of the month. In the meantime I will continue to eat clean and do upper body workouts on exercise TV and see if I can get most of my 30 minutes in there.

pinkislove
09-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

MM - I am feeling better today but I can't wait to get rid of this cold and actually be able to breathe using my nose! I hope your infection goes away soon, I am sure you will meet the challenge :)

Welcome Bree! I hope you enjoy this group as much as I do. It's nice to have a place to let down your hair a little and talk about weight issues with people who relate.

cldwv
09-27-2007, 02:11 PM
My rant for the day goes something like this...

The girl in the cube next to me drinks pop all day long and eats fast food EVERY day! I don't want to smell your burgers and fries. She's not fat either.

chubby cat
09-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi Everyone!! I feel much better now...emotionally :carrot:.

Andi, congrats on the lost 10"
Jenny, 3.4 lbs are awesome. for me whenever I weigh the meter only goes up.
pink, hope u get well soon.
Bree, Welcome:hug: to the group.
M&M(Mother Mavis, sorry couldn't resist;)), we have only cable. so i am not sure what exercise channel u are talking about. although i stopped watching food network. Coz everytime I watch, I have this deep craving to cook something, and eat it all up.

I started to do yoga....again. When I was in High School I used to do the stuff. Since I dont like repetetive things like walking or jogging, or outdoor things, I thought I better give yoga another try. And I started to feel better already. Anyone into yoga? :yoga:

Have a nice day all!!! :wave:

mothermavis
09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
We don't like her either!! I sit next to...:tantrum: her evil twin. Her evil twin also makes loud noises all day. There is no way someone needs to sneeze and hack and belch quite that often. Did I say that out loud???

saralou
09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi all - sorry I disappeared for a while but I was feeling a bit ineffective diet-wise: :nono:finished off a tub of sorbet to myself and though my walking towards the 900 mins goal has started, I picked up a cake on the way home! Think that slightly minimizes the effect of walking. :nono:

Still, tomorrow is a new day. I'm going to get up early to make a healthy lunch and then walk to work via the back road which avoids the cake shop! :yoga:I've also started doing my yoga again Farah . I have a book and do it by candlelight and it's very relaxing. I know I need to do the hardcore CV stuff as well but when I'm not feeling motivated I struggle. Oh and does 5 hours of shopping with my Mum count towards the 900 mins: did a lot of going back and forwards for different tops/sizes/trousers/skirts (pretty much everything actually!). Am going to look into 'turbo' thing though: anything that gives you that significant an inch loss is worth a shot - well done Andi! Also Mum has promised me two days entry into her swanky gym complete with spa in return for my hard work!

Anyway, please send me positive thoughts and I'll let you know if I achieve my aims for tomorrow ! Sara

saralou
09-27-2007, 06:50 PM
ps. Your convo made me smile: all those who are sick of being considered the 'big girl' in their group raise your hand!:tantrum:

cldwv
09-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Saralou - How about this... No matter what, come here. Who cares if you didn't get that walk in or you slipped on the diet! We all do it. Still plan to visit us. Who knows, maybe something something someone says here will put you back on track. Shrug off the sorbet and cake. It's nothing with regards to the big picture.

mothermavis
09-27-2007, 07:52 PM
I'll second both of those, sick of being the "big girl" & definitely, everybody check in when you can, even if you're having a crappy day. Maybe we can help each other have a crappy day and not a crappy week!! Some days are gonna be better than others.

I've never tried yoga, but will see if it is on exercise TV, I've always thought I'd like to try it, but never got around to it. How many of those, never got around to it, or not until I'm skinnier moments have we all had? NO MORE!!

I also want to try more of the Turbo Jam series, those inches are impressive Andi!!
I want to button my skinnier jeans, I am a ways from my skinny jeans but one size at a time. I certainly have enough different sizes!! As someone said in their wish list, I am not buying a bigger size!! Not ever!!

Andi18
09-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Andi- What's Turbo Jam? I need to buy a new exercise video soon with the weather changing I need a new workout regime.

JC83, if you go to turbojam.com you can see an introductory video. It is made by beachbody and the instructors name is Chalene Johnson. I bought the maximum results package so there are I think 7 videos. It's a lot of cardio and ab work, it's really upbeat. There is a thread here of ladies that have used/are using TurboJam. I first saw it on an infomercial, and saw it again, and again, and again, and finally decided to buy it. It does take a couple of tries (okay maybe more than a couple) to get all of the moves down if you are as uncoordinated as I am, but I really like it!

Andi18
09-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Welcome to our little area of 3fc Bree!! Hope you find your way back often as we seem to have a great bunch here!

That is crazy Cindy!! But if Davey :devil: works for you I say go for it! :woops:

Sarah, definitely walking around the mall with your mum counts!!

Thanks for well wishes, I am starting to feel better...I actually got in a 60 minute walk this evening! :carrot:
And also, thank you for the continued grats on the loss! I just hope I can keep it up! You all are my motivation to keep going!! I see each of us struggling at some point but everyone picking each other up! You gals rock!

cldwv
09-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Glad to hear you are feeling better Andi! Don't you just hate when you get sick and it throws a monkey wrench in your fitness plans? Important thing is to get right back to it and boy, a 60 minute walk. You're the one who rocks!

Well, I spent 50 minutes on Davey yesterday and boy did he tire me out! I shouldn't have any trouble meeting our 900 minute goal. (I'm really not perverted. It's just my semi-twisted sense of humor.)

We have the high school homecoming parade and football game tonight (my daughter is in the marching band) then the homecoming dance tomorrow night. It's going to be a busy two days.

cldwv
09-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Recently published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Two groups (82 women in each).
Group 1: Twice-weekly strength training.
Group 2 (control): Received brochures recommending 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise on most days and focused on walking.

There were no dietary changes involved.

Strength Training Program (Group 1)
First 16 weeks supervised by a trainer and included a circuit of "isotonic resistance machines" followed by free weights (introduced over time). The sessions lasted 1 hour and were twice weekly. Weights consisted of 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions.

Results
Group 1 lost 3.68% of total body fat versus only a 0.14% drop in the control group (Group 2). Intra abdominal fat increased in Group 1 by 7% -vs- 21.4% in the control Group 2 (yikes).

The purpose of the research was to see whether strength training could affect this figure. What it seems to show is that strength training can alter body composition in a positive way (by helping to minimize abdominal fat gain).

The Downside
What the research doesn't show is how (or if) the women changed their dietary habits. Also; the adherence (to the strength training program) dropped to 61% in the second year. The research applies to overweight or obese pre-menopausal women and was conducted over two years.

mommy2monkeys
09-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Still, tomorrow is a new day.

This really struck a nerve with me this morning. Yesterday I didn't feel up to walking or riding the bike, and I was feeling already like a failure. Reading this, I feel much much better about this new day ahead of me!

Thank you all for your warm welcome! I am looking forward to October. It's the start of a lot of changes for my husband and I, and I'm ready to get it underway. I'm also interested to see what if any progress I've made this week. I've never looked forward to a weigh in before.

Tonight we have a date to go to the movies, and I'm nervous. I love popcorn and candy and soda - and have no willpower yet. :o Please think all the good thoughts you can... I'm going to need it. It's the last time we'll get to do something like this for awhile, he starts a new job on Monday that gets him up 2 hours earlier in the morning.

Oh, and I am so tired of being the big girl!

cldwv
09-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh, and I am so tired of being the big girl!I took a peek at your counter and WOW, you've accomplished so much. You should be so proud of yourself. I'm proud of you.

As for the movie, would it be the end of the world if you bought yourself a small bag of popcorn (maybe skip the butter)? NO, it's not. We all need a treat every so often. Another option is to bring your own treats. Sneak them in in your purse/bag. It's hard. Believe me, I know.

mommy2monkeys
09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I took a peek at your counter and WOW, you've accomplished so much. You should be so proud of yourself. I'm proud of you.

As for the movie, would it be the end of the world if you bought yourself a small bag of popcorn (maybe skip the butter)? NO, it's not. We all need a treat every so often. Another option is to bring your own treats. Sneak them in in your purse/bag. It's hard. Believe me, I know.

You're too sweet, thank you! I can't take credit for a lot of that, most of it came off just from nursing. I'm starting to wean him now (he's 1 in November) and at the very, very least I don't want to see the scale creeping back up.

That's a good idea to take things with me. At the very least I've decided I have to work off whatever I indulge in tonight. :ebike: I need to name the bike, we just don't have that great of a bond yet! :D

pinkislove
09-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Good morning ladies, just wanted to say hello and TGIF!!!

Thankfully I am back at 100% and ready to go in terms of our challenge. :running:

I will be joining a gym on Monday because the only time I can realistically squeeze exercise in is during my lunch hour...it's something I have carefully thought about in over the last few weeks and now I feel ready to go and am motivated to go. I plan to start off going three times a week and see how it goes.

The best part of the gym is that no one from my office goes there so there won't be that weird creeped out by seeing my co-workers in their unmentionables (or worse, lol) factor :no: I'll admit that I am a bit nervous about going by myself but I am sure once I get comfortable by actually going on a regular basis those jitters will go away.

I think we have had a great week in terms of keeping our group going and I am looking forward to sharing many milestones with you guys.

:hug:

Andi18
09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't konw if you all have On demand TV where you are, I know Sara said not in England, but if you do, check out the Exercise on Demand feature, really cool. You can order videos if you want or you can just do theirs. They actually have a spot on their website where it will just choose 3 or 5 days worth of workouts for you. Great for those like me who have no idea what they are doing!! :dizzy:

I so wish I knew about this before now!!! Half of my Turbo Jam videos are on there and some that I was debating on buying like HipHop Abs and a few other ones.

I am a little bummed. I went to the Dr yesterday, don't think I mentioned prior but I had surgery a few weeks back. I have a ton of stitches in my leg so that may slow me down a bit for a challenge, and now it is infected so I can't do a darn thing according to the Dr. no walking, still no driving (that is driving me crazy) , no work, blah, blah. But I will start when I am cleared and see if I can get to our 900 goal by the end of the month. In the meantime I will continue to eat clean and do upper body workouts on exercise TV and see if I can get most of my 30 minutes in there.

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I had knee surgery 4 years ago to repair a torn meniscus. Every now and then I get pain in the knee again but it is actually better than before I had the surgery... Dr thought he would only be able to repair it to 80% of what it was, think it was actually like 105%! :lol: I was watching On Demand and see you can view videos on exercisetv.tv as well... can see if they have additional videos there that would work for you...I saw On Demand had "Tank Top Arms" I am so going to be trying that!! :lol:

mothermavis
09-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Happy Friday !!! :grouphug: I am so glad I stumbled across you all!

Andi, I know what you mean about the exercise TV, I had no idea we had that until DH was channel surfing. It is so cool, I will probably still buy some of the ones I like, but at least I can try them first, I am not sure how often they change it up, I assume some come off every month , we shall see!!

Surgery sucks, but I am getting better everyday. Now it's just to get the infection clear so that the antibiotics go away. I am actually really, really proud of myself, I lost a pound last week and another this week and that is really good for me between being home and not being able to do any cardio.

Usually when I am home I graze all day long! Yup, graze, just like a cow!!

Pink- good for you :carrot: enjoy that gym time. Don't worry, I used to hate to go to they gym alone, but then you get zoned in and you really may learn to prefer it. I know when I am talking to someone I don't work as hard as when I am there alone.

Mommy - enjoy the date with your husband!! They are few and far between w 2 babies! I'm with Cindy, have a treat, just decide what it's going to be and stick to that.

Cindy- enjoy the busy homecoming weekend. Ours is in 2 weeks! I am going to spend this weekend deciding what to call my elliptical, maybe Earl!

Talk to y'all soon

Andi18
09-28-2007, 02:53 PM
congrats on the weightloss mothermavis! I know I put on a bit of weight when I was home laid up because of my knee. I hope your infection clears up quickly! *thinking healthy and quick recovery thoughts for you*

cldwv
09-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Cindy- enjoy the busy homecoming weekend. Ours is in 2 weeks! I am going to spend this weekend deciding what to call my elliptical, maybe Earl!Hmmmm, Earl? Is there something you haven't told us? I talk to mine/Davey just to amuse myself.

Get ready for our weigh in on monday girls!

mothermavis
09-28-2007, 05:04 PM
No secrets, you even know what I weigh!! DH doesn't even know that!!

Here's to Monday...

pinkislove
09-28-2007, 10:13 PM
No secrets, you even know what I weigh!! DH doesn't even know that!!

Here's to Monday...

This one made me giggle MM because it's true, I would rather give mine any other number in the universe besides that one :lol:

:grouphug:
Here's to Monday being our group kick off and another stepping stone in the right direction!

JC83
09-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm a day behind you with weigh in for me on Tuesdays but I"m hoping we all see positive results this week. I've been down and out with a cold the last couple days. Have gotten no excercise at all except a finger workout on the remote. I wish I had someone to walk with. I see tons of people walking with a friend and I'm jealous. Most of my friends are really fit and never excercise. Going to to change my pic so you guys have a face with a name... might take me awhile. I'm terrible with computers.

JC83
09-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Alright! I did it... and I also added my myspace page in case anyone wants to view more pics/get to know me better. I don't check it that often so don't get offended if I don't add you or answer back very quickly.

saralou
09-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Well, rubbish day yesterday as my grandma was taken into hospital :(-she's ok, it was a blood pressure thing that they've managed to control but bit of a scare for the family. It makes me grateful to be home for this time though because I could go to the hospital and be there for my mum. Quite proud of myself for not eating lots of chocolate or something in stressful circumstance. In fact, the good news is, I actually stuck to what I had said on the forum despite circumstances! :smug:

Apart from that, I appear to have stayed the same on the scales so I will put my weight down on monday like we've decided to allow a bit extra time. I' really, really grateful for the Exercise Tv tip - how cool is that site? I have done a mini workout already today and later on I'm planning to do the dance workout. What a great resource - Thank you!!

Andi - well done on keeping on despite health probs. I feel like others in our little group have a lot more hurdles than me: I shall use your determination for wil power. I am off now to make a healthy pasta salad - yum! Speak later~ Sara

Andi18
09-29-2007, 09:36 AM
So sorry to hear about your grandma Sara. I am glad to hear that she is okay though. It does stink to be away from the grandparents when they are in the hospital and you are far away and can't visit. I've been there too. I hope your grandma is able to keep her blood pressure under control.

Oh and Sara, I will send you some :dust:

saralou
09-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Thank you ! The dust is working; I went to the library to get some recipe books for my diet and I didn't stop off at the cake shop on the way home, x

Andi18
09-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Thank you ! The dust is working; I went to the library to get some recipe books for my diet and I didn't stop off at the cake shop on the way home, x

Hey that IS willpower!! Congrats!!!!!!!

saralou
10-01-2007, 04:15 AM
Good Morning America! I think you guys may still be asleep but it's Monday morning here and I'm up bright and early to weigh-in for the forum and have a good start for my dieting week.

My weight this week is 205lbs - the scales have stubbornly stayed the same.:(

Not a great start but I made a list of a few things I'd done wrong on my blog on Friday so I'm actually glad not to have gained. I've been really good food-wise for the last two days (and plan to be today) and worked out twice but I think the 6 vodkas (or ahem, 7??!) on Saturday night did no-one any favours. I should explain that we were having a big night because my friend has just joined the army and we needed to give him a send-off. Though probably could have done it without being quite so full of vodka - oops!!

Anyway, *positive-thoughts* and here's my plan to keep on track for the next few days:

Go swimming on Tues evening and Wed morning when it's quiet
Buy small pots of fromage frais to snack on instead of using my 'syns'
Try and have a 'syn-free' day this week (you add up the points for things like alchohol, chocs etc)
Do at least one more Exercise TV workout

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's results later on - sure you've done great!:carrot:

~Sara x

mothermavis
10-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Happy Monday!!
I lost a pound, that was on my weigh-in day which has been Friday, not weighing today cause I feel like bloat city!
From here on out, it's every Monday for me too, so that I am on schedule, besides, that gives me an extra couple days this week, so maybe I'll get 2 lbs!!

Weekend was good. Ate like crap but in small portions, so hopefully it'll be ok, back on the wagon today!!

Am going to go do tank tops arms, talk to ya later!!

mothermavis
10-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Love that Exercise TV
Just did Shapely shoulders - 2 minutes
Tank Top arms 3 minutes
And turbo abs (only the floor portion) 7 minutes, will find my other 18 minutes thru the day.

pinkislove
10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Good morning everyone. Are we moving to a new thread or just continuing here?

I actually gained this week but I'm taking it with a grain of salt (it's only a pound) since I was sick for most of the week.

cldwv
10-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Scale said 202.5. I'm really upset because I worked my a** off the past week and only lost 2. I don't want a pitty party or anything. I was just hoping for more results. I'll come back after I've gotten out of this funky mood.

saralou
10-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey everyone! Guess it's a mixed bag but at least we're all trying. Cindy I hope you're not too upset with 2lb lost - it's not necessarily healthy to lose more than that in a week, surely?? I think you've done well and, not to be rude to everyone else, but you've done the best out of all of us so far! So, even if you didn't get quite what you wanted I'd nominate you for our 'Slimmer of the Week'!:smug:

Have we moved to another thread?
~Sara

cldwv
10-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Since I was talking about it Friday, thought I'd share a picture. My daughter is in the black. Homecoming 2007. They grow up way too fast. I still think of those two in day care together (pre-kindergarten). Now they're driving. Yikes.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/cldwv68/homecoming07.jpg

Sara - thanks for the nice post. Two pounds is good (or 1.5 - whatever). I need to keep focused. This is so hard!

mommy2monkeys
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Wow, it's been a busy weekend! I did so good (for me) at the movies on Friday. They serve dinner there and I had a small pizza and one Dr. Pepper. :carrot: Then on Saturday, I spent most of the day walking the mall pushing a stroller - which [in my mind :D ] even negates the pizza.

I weighed in today at 211, which is 3 pounds lighter, and puts me right on track to be under 210 next week. Are we supposed to do a new ticker for each month? I can't decide.

I am so proud of all of you for sticking with this!! It means the world to me that I have a group I have to report to, it keeps me focused and on track. I am swamped now, but I will check back tonight to see everyone's results! :cool:

Happy October!
Bree :jig:

cldwv
10-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Way to go Bree! I'm so glad you had a great time at the movies with your hubby! It's so important. How did you resist the popcorn? Just the thought of pizza is close to pushing me over the edge. I think I need a cheat day.

Poll: What do you all think of cheat days? Good or bad?

chubby cat
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi All!!

Hope everyone is having a good monday. For me...today's weigh in...I gained 1 lb, so it's 162. It's Ok, since I was in bed for last three days. Anyways..I really want to know what do you do to minimize bloating. Do you guys take any extra fiber solution or pills?

Thank you.:hug:

saralou
10-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Well done Bree! Gives me hope that you managed a good night out and it didn't ruin your progress. I had some chocolate today but apart from that I managed pretty well. I'm a stressed-eater; I have been putting in a really tough application to work for a big publishing company over here and, well, chocolate just called.

Hey Farah, sounds like we had similarly not great weeks but here's hoping for next week. I find occassionally having soya milk instead of other dairy helps with my bloating as a lot of people are slightly intolerant to dairy. My other solution, or at least comfort, is a hot-water bottle: a little bit grannyish but it works for me!

Right goal for tomorrow:
Don't eat chocolate
Go for that swim I promised myself.

~Sara

mommy2monkeys
10-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Way to go Bree! I'm so glad you had a great time at the movies with your hubby! It's so important. How did you resist the popcorn? Just the thought of pizza is close to pushing me over the edge. I think I need a cheat day.

Poll: What do you all think of cheat days? Good or bad?

I think cheat days are essential. You just want to cheat in moderation (or work extra hard the next day) to keep on track. Everybody needs a release every so often!

The theater we went to was really cool, they serve you dinner at your seat just before the movie. They also bring the goodies out to you, so I just told myself over and over that afternoon that candy was out of the question. Once the food got there and I got to eating, I got so into the movie that I forgot all about candy. Probably if I had to go past the concession stand, my will power might have waned a little.

Sara, a swim sounds so good today! I hope you enjoy that!

JC83
10-01-2007, 09:59 PM
I have not exercised in a week. Tomorrow is my meeting, let's hope it doesn't show too much on the scales. As long as I don't gain I'm happy.

On my WW plan we get 35 extra points to blow on a day of eating whatever we want. I get nervous and never use them though.

I ate a lot of gingersnap cookies and pumpkin dip in the last hour. Bad Bad Jenny!

Congrats on the weight loss everyone! I'm glad we are all sticking to it!

Andi18
10-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Hello ladies!! Congrats to those that have lost this last week and for those that did not...it's the start of a new week! ;)

I did drop 3 pounds this week. I'm just happy to be lower than where I was after my 1st week! putting on the weight last week was a real bummer, but that was a motivation to get working this last week!

I did work out 60 minutes today! This weekend stunk as far as workouts go so I really had to do double the work today.

As far as cheat days go, I think they are good every now and then. I tend to pay big time when I have one, but a cheat is needed so that you don't over indulge on a regular basis.

Who is up for a new thread since this one is kind of dated with the "September '07 Newbies"? Someone want to come up with a new thread name?

mothermavis
10-02-2007, 02:28 PM
If we should have a new thread, how about "Newbies sticking with it" That will encourage other newbies to continue to join us, but show our dedication to each other and ourselves!! And oh, by the way, I'm not sure how to start a new thread. :^:

pinkislove
10-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey ladies! How is everyone today? I'm a little under the weather here (hopefully last week's cold is not trying to rear it's ugly head again!)

My take on cheat days is that I can not do them in the beginning, I need a detox period where I just ban the "bad" stuff until I have put in enough work & effort to need that break and even then because I have put in that hard work & effort I am conscious of what I am eating on that cheat day because I don't consider a cheat day a free for all. It's also weird because after a while my body adjusts to all the healthy eating and anything that is junk makes me feel like :censored:

A new thread would be nice :) maybe we can take turns or one person can be responsible for starting our new threads? I would be more than happy to help in that area.

Andi18
10-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Okay, the new thread has been started!! Follow the link below!

Newbies Stickin' With It (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1878374#post1878374)