100 lb. Club - Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

View Full Version : Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 08:56 AM
OK trying to get back on track my scale is going nuts one day I weight 172 the next 178....its not the scale...its me....my second scale, conforms this.....so I so tomorrow i start a swedish Detox diet for a few weeks.....seems like i am so off balance at the moment.......

Sandi
09-18-2007, 09:04 AM
What does the Swedish detox consist of & how long does it last?

hellokitty81668
09-18-2007, 09:12 AM
cyber gypsy,
I am sorry the scale is not cooperating. Good luck with your plan.
cheryl

rockinrobin
09-18-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm with Sandi, what in the world is a Swedish Detox diet?

Whatever it is, good luck getting back on track. You will be sooo much happier when you do so. Just keep that in mind. :)

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
its in womans world this week basic, oatmeal and grapefruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and a special soup for dinner and flaxseed oil once a day.....soup is veggies....one week or two........

anajjana
09-18-2007, 09:41 AM
what is the 'special soup' and how do you make it?

MugCanDoIt
09-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I seriously want to kill my scale sometimes. I want to kick, punch, throw, and just "hurt" it. Want to join me? Hee Hee......

SoulBliss
09-18-2007, 10:11 AM
^^I don't own a scale.

CyberGypsy, I hope you follow a safe and balanced plan. Best of luck to you! :hug:

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
1 cup cut green beans
2 cups celery diced
3/4 cups carrots diced

put veggies in 2 quarts purified water boil, skim foam off, simmer covered 10 minutes, let stand covered 10 minutes before serving.

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=MugCanDoIt;1858671]I seriously want to kill my scale sometimes. I want to kick, punch, throw, and just "hurt" it. Want to join me? Hee Hee......[/QUOTe}\

I will do it in a heart beat, but when it says i lot 5 pounds i love and even clean it :) ok off to the store for soup crap :)

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
OK went shopping bout all the veggies and flax seed oil, the scale is at 179.4 :nono: so took a teaspoon of flaxseed oil (tasted like motor oil)...it said liq. oil no pills, so in a few minutes i will make my breakfast, I will update you it a few times a day, I have read many good thing about this.....

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 12:16 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1097/1403095772_79d12cc2dc_m.jpg

Soups On!

Marseille
09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I have heard that Women's World has a reputation for endorsing very unhealthy, unresearched diets with unvalidated claims to weight loss. (such as *******). Anyone else heard this?

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 12:24 PM
not me, this diet has been around for years, longer then womans world>)

Marseille
09-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Cool, I was just wondering, since I am always tempted to try those to kick start things

Daimere
09-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah, after I read the ******* article, I don't trust Woman's World

nelie
09-18-2007, 12:26 PM
They do... Suzanne3FC has said that she herself has gotten requests from Women's World asking for the craziest sounding diets so they can feature in their magazine.

If you haven't read the ******* article on the front page of the main 3FC site, I recommend reading it.

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Breakfast:
-1 cup of vegetable broth
-1/2 cup grapefruit juice
-1/2 cup quinoa porridge
-1 tablespoon flax seed oil

Lunch:
-1 cup of steamed vegetables
-1 cup of a salad plate

Snack:
-1/2 avocado

Dinner:
-1/2 cup carrot juice
-1 1/2 cup of Dr. Rau's vegetable soup
-1 cup of steamed vegetables
-1/2 apple
-Cup of herbal tea

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Guys this is a detox not a long diet.....I posted the menu-

Skinny4baby
09-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Looks pretty healthy to me..except lacks protein?..but then again..protein is NOT detoxing. Now if I could make myself eat all those veggies RAW..It would be great. Anyone see Dr. Oz on O yesterday...eating RAW fruits and veggies a test study lost 10 pounds in 10 days....Lots of fiber is great for us.:carrot:

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
yep, breakfast is now in me lol,, I really am not meat eater so to kick start me again will be great, if i stay on it i will modify the dinner to include turkey to protein shakes

Lyn2007
09-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I have to say for those who might be inclined to try this without knowing... there is hardly ANY protein in this diet, and to go without any protein for 1-2 weeks is very damaging to your body. I don't mean meat. I mean protein, which is the building blocks of your body. If you do not eat protein at all, your body will break down muscle to get it. This is not safe. Also, this "diet" looks to be well under 1000 calories... closer to 7-800. Your body will not function well and maybe believe you are starving and slow your metabolism. Any loss you get from doing this (if anyone can tolerate this for more than a couple of days) will be mostly water weight, and will come back on when you start eating normally again. I am sure people will do it anyway but I want to put this fact out there so people are aware that they are harming their bodies.

Lyn
EIGHTEEN pounds gone!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com

Luminous
09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
You say that now, Lyn, but didn't you notice? The soup is named after a doctor!

LaurieDawn
09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I have to say for those who might be inclined to try this without knowing... there is hardly ANY protein in this diet, and to go without any protein for 1-2 weeks is very damaging to your body. I don't mean meat. I mean protein, which is the building blocks of your body. If you do not eat protein at all, your body will break down muscle to get it. This is not safe. I am sure people will do it anyway but I want to put this fact out there so people are aware that they are harming their bodies.

Lyn
EIGHTEEN pounds gone!
My Blog:

I hate to disagree with you, Lynn, but though I am not currently vegan (actually, pescatarian), I have been vegan for periods throughout my adult life, and have read lots of literature on the subject. The fact is, our current obsession with protein from animal sources really has no historical precedent. Dr. T Colin Campbell's The China Study is only one study that effectively demonstrates that a plant-based diet is far healthier than an animal-based one. The Physicians Council for Responsible Medicine advocates a vegan diet. Prior to the standard American diet that we tend to consume now, the degenerative diseases that now plague us were not nearly as problematic. So much medical misinformation is disseminated by The Dairy Council and The Beef Check-Off Council, etc., that it is hard to separate the truth. Just as physicians used to counsel patients that tobacco was helpful in relieving anxiety because of studies done by the tobacco industry, so the meat and dairy industries have successfully penetrated our elementary school system and medical schools. I know that people have been successful with high protein diets. I don't mean to disparage any of them. Each of us is capable of interpreting the science for ourselves and making our own decisions. But the science in favor of a plant-based diet is really, really strong, and I don't think that you are taking it into account with your blanket statement about protein. As a personal aside, I try to give blood on a regular basis, and I periodically get turned down because of low iron. Ironically, I have never been turned down when I was eating a vegan diet. I am consistently turned down when I am eating the standard American diet, which tends to be very high in protein and iron.

The bottom line is that people can and do lose safely with plant-based diets, and there is lots and lots of sound science to support it. Just as an example, both the green beans and the quinoa included in this diet are great sources of plant-based protein.

nelie
09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I am currently reading the China Study and yes the author does advocate a plant based diet but he also advocates a well rounded plant based diet include legumes, grains and a variety of vegetables.

I too would be concerned about any diet that had a limited variety of foods for any extended period of time.

LaurieDawn
09-18-2007, 03:00 PM
I agree with you completely, Nelie. But Sandi is only talking about a short period of time. And I also have to say that the menu that she posted looks like a pretty good variety of foods. It's not like the Cabbage Soup diet, for example. To me, it looks like a fairly healthy way to jump start into a plan.

Lyn2007
09-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Actually, LaurieDawn, you are not disagreeing with me at all. As I said in my first post, we need protein. I stated, "I am not talking about meat." Even vegans eat protein. Beans, legumes, nuts are wonderful plant based protein sources... very little of which I see included in this "detox plan." The quinoa has about 6g of protein. A half cup of green beans has 1 gram of protein. I never advocated a "high protein" diet, either, but eating 7-800 calories with only 7g of protein a day is not a healthy way to eat.

However, if the original poster and others go on and follow this diet for a week or two, and they feel good and lose weight, and then continue to lose weight after completion of this diet, then perhaps for them the short term damage is worth it. I will be waiting to see how many folks actually do it and lose weight and don't regain. But I personally would not follow a restricted regimen that I know can harm my body.

Lyn
EIGHTEEN pounds gone!
My Blog:

Lyn2007
09-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Just a pointer here... you did mention eating oatmeal for breakfast... oatmeal does not have a complete protein nor as much protein as quinoa, so be careful not to substitute oatmeal for quinoa.

Lyn
EIGHTEEN pounds gone!
My Blog:

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
The big thing for me and me alone is that I feel ill when i eat most meat, always have all my life, turkey breast from publix Boarshead low sodium is the only meat i eat.... I will stay on a week and see how it goes, if not I will add turkey to the salad, but feel the need to cleanse, as living with my son was hard in the beginning, and i did mess up(he has lost 9 pounds this week) and happy he is now on a diet:)

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Just a pointer here... you did mention eating oatmeal for breakfast... oatmeal does not have a complete protein nor as much protein as quinoa, so be careful not to substitute oatmeal for quinoa.

Lyn
EIGHTEEN pounds gone!
My Blog:

I use steel cut oatmeal

Lyn2007
09-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Steel cut oats are good for you and delicious (I use them too!) but are not a complete protein like quinoa. Also they contain 4g protein and quinoa 6g.

rockinrobin
09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm just curious. What exactly does detoxing mean? I mean I know what detoxing MEANS, but how does it apply to a "diet"? What are you detoxing from?

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 03:41 PM
just all meat and crap since living with my son i was losing weight like crazy, sometimes your body needs it.....

phantastica
09-18-2007, 04:25 PM
I don't really support drastic short-term diets, but I like the soup from the cabbage-soup diet quite a bit. This soup, though, sounds a little bland. Did you add any seasoning or anything?

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Nope nothing but it feels great, love the texture....lol

LaurieDawn
09-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Actually, LaurieDawn, you are not disagreeing with me at all. As I said in my first post, we need protein. I stated, "I am not talking about meat." Even vegans eat protein. Beans, legumes, nuts are wonderful plant based protein sources... very little of which I see included in this "detox plan." The quinoa has about 6g of protein. A half cup of green beans has 1 gram of protein. I never advocated a "high protein" diet, either, but eating 7-800 calories with only 7g of protein a day is not a healthy way to eat. But I personally would not follow a restricted regimen that I know can harm my body.

You might be interested in reading some of the stuff John McDougall has written. He advocates a low-fat, plant-based diet, and recommends that people be careful about eating too many beans, legumes, and nuts when they are trying to lose weight. He believes that anyone who gets enough calories to survive will be getting enough quality protein to meet their needs. He points to several longitudinal studies done in countries with starch-based diets and compares health statistics from people who follow those diets to health statistics for most Americans. There really is no comparison. However, like I said before, I am not trying to suggest that even those who do follow high-protein diets are doing it wrong because I know that there is a lot of disagreement over nutritional recommendations, and I didn't mean to suggest that you personally were advocating high protein. I'm just questioning what seems to be your snap judgment about something someone else is trying. Your insistence that it will "harm your body" just seems a little judgmental, and I believe it to be inaccurate. I have read so much nutritional literature over the years that I really believe that I could take any food plan that anyone uses and find a reason to claim that it is bad for them, including my own. I am absolutely not interested in doing that. I also know that your suggestions were made with the best possible intentions, and it is the variety of opinions and the willingness to share them that make this forum so valuable.

CyberGypsy
09-18-2007, 05:02 PM
You might be interested in reading some of the stuff John McDougall has written. He advocates a low-fat, plant-based diet, and recommends that people be careful about eating too many beans, legumes, and nuts when they are trying to lose weight. He believes that anyone who gets enough calories to survive will be getting enough quality protein to meet their needs. He points to several longitudinal studies done in countries with starch-based diets and compares health statistics from people who follow those diets to health statistics for most Americans. There really is no comparison. However, like I said before, I am not trying to suggest that even those who do follow high-protein diets are doing it wrong because I know that there is a lot of disagreement over nutritional recommendations, and I didn't mean to suggest that you personally were advocating high protein. I'm just questioning what seems to be your snap judgment about something someone else is trying. Your insistence that it will "harm your body" just seems a little judgmental, and I believe it to be inaccurate. I have read so much nutritional literature over the years that I really believe that I could take any food plan that anyone uses and find a reason to claim that it is bad for them, including my own. I am absolutely not interested in doing that. I also know that your suggestions were made with the best possible intentions, and it is the variety of opinions and the willingness to share them that make this forum so valuable.

I agree with you completely , i am sticking too it :)

Lyn2007
09-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Oh I definately know I do not eat perfectly by any means!! And I am not putting anyone down for trying. Heck it is better to try something than to give up and eat a pan of brownies (which I have done in the past!) My judgement of the plan is just that, *my* judgement.. why I would not do it myself. And I felt the need to give an opinion to consider, in case people are reading the detox and thinking it is healthy... because I don't think it is... but everyone can make their own call on that.

That said, my main issues with it are
1) calories too restricted IMO
2) too low in any protein IMO
3) seems like one of those plans that people can only stick to for a few days before going bonkers and eating like crazy because their body can't handle it.

But I really am looking forward to seeing the results for those trying it, how much they do lose and whether they are able to maintain a loss. We all need to do what works best for us.

Lyn
EIGHTEEN pounds gone!
My Blog:

GirlyGirlSebas
09-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Sandy,

Good luck, Hon! I hope this gets things going in the right direction for you.

witchyonadiet
09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Kind of off subject - but I saw Womans World mentioned - why do womens magazines ALWAYS carry a story on how to lose weight AND tons of pictures and recipes for horrifying fat laden desserts and main dishes ?????

rockinrobin
09-18-2007, 05:51 PM
I can definitely see where setting yourself some strict rules and elminating problem foods could be very helpful in the beginning. I hope this helps to get you back on track. Good luck!

Daimere
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Kind of off subject - but I saw Womans World mentioned - why do womens magazines ALWAYS carry a story on how to lose weight AND tons of pictures and recipes for horrifying fat laden desserts and main dishes ?????
It's so true! I'm glad my mother was never addicted to that crap but I always see them at the stand near the check out. It's just a ploy to get more money since every woman seems to feel like they need to loose 10 more pounds before some event yet also give something to the traditional women who love to cook fattening things. See, that's why I like to get magazines like Weight Watchers because they have recipes that actually seem to taste good and are good for you.

rakel
09-18-2007, 11:11 PM

I always wonder the same thing, but you know, all you have to do is follow the money! :P They want you to eat a bunch of their desserts they feature and then follow their 10lbs in a week diet plan to make up for the damage done, I suppose! :P

CyberGypsy
09-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Most mags are like that it just the media...period!