Carb Counters - LOW CARB CHAT! CHAT! 9/17 thru 9/23

aud
09-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Afternoon LC'ers! How'd your weekends go? My weekend consisted of just yesterday as my day of "rest" - HA!:dizzy:

Got in TWO work-outs at the Y . . . and the usual amount of MAJOR picking up around this chaotic house/housework.

Also watched My Beloved Rams fall to 0-2 . . . a real heartbreaker - but resisted the BEER drowning temptation and am feeling faboo today as a result.

Made the spinach bread and just LOVED! Tx for the tip azzie!:hug:

Hope everyone knows that anyone can start the Chat Thread each week - whoever is up earliest?:^:

Azure
09-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Afternoon, LC people! :hug: to my Aud!

My weekend was really good. I stayed on plan, even with the boyfriend here--which is awesome! I've set aside one scheduled "cheat" day for myself every month, and today was the day! So, I had pizza for lunch. I'm glad I picked something that I was going to enjoy :) But, I'm full--so it's time to toss out what I didn't eat of the pizza and get back on my LC plan! It'll be LC for dinner again, and back to our regularly scheduled program. This "cheat" day is really a sanity day. If I know ahead of time that I have a day coming where I can have whatever's tickling my fancy, I'm way more able to just say "no" to other cravings the rest of the time.

It's so good to be able to have a cheat meal and still feel like I'm in control of my dieting...I think scheduling it really helps with that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another fabulous LC week :D Hope the rest of you ladies had an awesome day!

deedee10
09-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Hello all, I had a great week and weekend. I'm down 4 pounds from 153 to 149 after deciding to eat low carb. I was stuck at 153 for the longest time and even though I counted calories, I was so hungry all the time. I'm going to miss my french bread but I understand there are many low carb alternatives out there. Setting a mini-goal to lose 9 pounds by November 1st and I'm determined to up the exercising. Hope all of you have a successful week!

Bouncing
09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi everybody, happy Monday. I haven't been around since Friday, oops! Been on plan, though, extra emphasis on water. Saw the dr. Friday, now on an antibiotic I never heard of before. So far it doesn't seem to be doing a thing. I'll give it a couple more days, and if it still doesn't start working, I'll email the doc and whine. That's what he said to do.

Speaking of the doc, he really emphasized hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. He said Atkins can be hard on kidneys, can lower resistance to uti's, if we don't drink enough WATER. So he appears to be squarely in your corner, Kim. 64 oz. a day is good, and should be plain water. Anything else should be over-and-above, not part of the 64 oz. With good hydration, Atkins is very good for most people, and so is SB. He has no problem with Atkins forever, but sez many have trouble sticking to it. But of course, most people have trouble sticking to ANYTHING! I for one wouldn't be able to stick to an Oreo & Ice Cream diet, if that was all I got. He was concerned that we starve ourselves on 20-30g carb/day. Like most people who have never actually counted carbs for any length of time, he had no idea how many wheelbarrows of veggies it takes to get 30g a day!

Oh, I made a new batch of my blueberry muffins last night and had one for brekky. I love those things -- the ingredient list shines. They're very high in fiber, which is sooooo good for the body. I use a cup each almond flour and flax meal, a pinch of salt, 2 tsp baking powder (not that much when you divide it by 12!), 4 beaten eggs (so I don't get streaks of egg white in the batter), a stick of melted butter, 18 drops of liquid splenda, and a cup of fresh blueberries stirred in at the end. Muffin pan (greased), 20 mins. @ 350. Yum! And all wholesome, natural ingredients except for the splenda, and that was liquid so contains NO maltodextrin. I'm really paying attention to the natural-ingredients philosophy now. NO food with ingredients I can't pronounce! My next step is to make all my own salad dressings so I know exactly what's in them. Must be the Jersey Girl Influence. I swear I'll be another purist, in time.

Here in the coastal mountain range of northern CA, it went from ceiling-fan-all-night to get-the-down-comforter-outta-the-basement, in one day! I guess fall is really here now. I bet there will be a week of two of indian summer in October.

My weight is back down again in spite of the antibiotics. Betcha it's cuz I'm carrying around a 30-oz ice tea glass full of water, everywhere I go, and every time I think of it I take a swig or two.

Just keepin' on keepin' on,

aud
09-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Dorothy L. Sayers, eh bouncie? The mystery writer from the 30's?:?: If so, one time on lay off I tried to read most of her books in order. Really liked them.

I'm up to 100oz of h2o . . . a lot of days over that. Feel sluggish if I miss.

lilyb - if you come in here while I'm at work - can you look at last weeks chat - had a liver question for ya - if not - I'll link later - running late as usual.

Ahhhh yes, CONTROL, azzie! That fine fine line . . . I like your "permission" idea. Not willing to try it yet - feeling too Zonie at the moment.;)

Hiya & tx for stopping in deedee!:hug:

Where areya beachie & fit & puncie & & & & EVERYONE?????:listen::nono::shrug::drill:

CYA ALL in The Wee Hours of the night!:gossip:

beach bum
09-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Hi Ladies:)

Just checking in to say hello,very busy this morning,as I lack this weekend watching Tiger and the PGA. Leo has to go to the hospital to exercise 3 times per week,and I will attempt to exercise while hes gone.

Hate it when I have to double up on housework,but I had a choice over the weekend and made the decision to watch the golf tournament Sat & Sun.

Had time to squeeze in my exercising also.Did 30 mins of WATP 2 Mile tape.

My eating over this weekend was good,and I'm sticking to low carb/ beach so far,so maybe the scale will co-operated again this Sat.

AUD-Thanks for starting us up today,I'm not good posting new threads,that why If I have anything I want to post I use the Chat thread,as I did once and lost everything. I have to make azures spinach bread also,but right now I too busy to bake. I have to make my Revolution Rolls,as I'm running out of them and need some for the end of the week menu.

AZURA-I have a cheat day also but its not once a month its every Sat. after W-I when I have one high carb meal. Glad you had a great time with your boyfriend. Funny you're on the same wave length as I,I believe that you need a cheat day no matter what diet.No I'm NOT TALKING about JUNK CHEAT. I'm talking about having a higher carb meal for one day and than get back to L/C. I might be on the beach,but I still believe in low carbing.

Bouncing-Thanks for bring the 64 oz of plain water to our attention. I would have continued to have 32 oz of plain water and 32 oz of crystal lite.Now I'm going to concentrate on having the correct amount of water.Thanks for sharing. Maybe thats why I'm stalling,on the scale. Hope you feel better,and that the anti-biotic works soon.

DeeDee-Congrats on your big weight loss your doing great,WTG you'll be down in no time.

Have to get back to work

Hugs :)BB

FitinTime
09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
I Ladies, how are you?

I'm doing good, haven't lost anything except those 2 lbs, but I don't even know if those 2 lbs are lost because when I weighed myself this morning, I moved my scale around to see in the light and when I did, it read a different number?! So I moved the scale in different parts of the kitchen and got 4 different readings!

I'm just going to be satisfied with the inches I lost. I am able to wrap a bath towel around me. Not the small regular size but the nice size. No not the beach towel either, LOL!!!

We have to be happy with our progress, so we can keep going!

Love Ya's!!

soon2Bfab
09-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Hello everyone!! I fell off the LC wagon this Sunday. It was my niece's birthday & she couldn't understand why I wouldn't want cake....she's a very convincing 4 year old. I had a piece (at least I stayed away from the ice cream!) Back on track today.....making the spinach bread today!!

deedee10
09-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your warm greetings and I wish you all continued success! I have a question about sweets. After every meal I feel like I need to eat something sweet and usually my first choice is chocolate. I know this is a habit that I should work on breaking but its so hard. My downfall and the reason I'm overweight is my weakness for desserts of all kinds. I would rather eat a dessert than a good meal. Well, I'm trying to follow the Somersize plan of low carb eating because it seems a little more lenient than the actual Atkins plan but still effective and the impression I get is if I eat any kind of sugar at all, even a small morsel, I won't lose weight and I may even gain weight because it turns the fat I'm eating into insulin which in turn will slow down or even halt the ketosis effect. Does anyone know if this is correct? It kind of makes sense to me. I heard Suzanne say if you are very diligent in the beginning and stick to plan, then when you have lost your weight, you can have a little chocolate once in awhile. Well, I just had two pieces of the little Dove chocolate candies and I'm really beating myself (and my self esteem) to a pulp ;-(

deedee10
09-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh gosh, and there's a birthday for a friend here at work tomorrow with cake! Why???? Lord, give me strength......

Azure
09-17-2007, 10:08 PM
DeeDee-- I just logged in and caught your post. Way back after I had been on Prednisone and gained 30 pounds (I was 13 years old and gained 30 pounds in a month, skyrocketing me to my all time high weight of 210), I did the "Somersizing" diet and lost the 30 pounds I gained. I ended up eating a VERY low carb diet, I know now looking back. I didn't like vegetables at all...and I ate a lot of canned tuna fish, I remember that. *shrugs* I don't think it was any less rigid than something like South Beach Diet or Atkins...and I prefer Atkins :)

I think any program works, so long as you can stick to it and your body responds to it. I find that low carb has worked the best for me, and I like the way the Atkins program is structured.

FitinTime
09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
DeeDee,
Have you tried eating coconut bark? I guess it's a big thing now, plus the coconut oil is supposed to be good for the body.
Some ladies even say that it helps them lost weight, something about the coconut oil boosting the metabolism.
I know of some ladies who are eating this while doing lc, but it affects everyone differently. I think they eat about 6 T a day, it makes them full and they don't feel like eating alot. Just eat at your own discretion, don't eat too much in the begining if you try it. I made some and it was really good. Instead of the Kroger sweetner, I used SF Da Vinci vanilla flavor.
Here is the recipe:

bark is like a chocolate bar.

4 Tbs EVCO (I got Nutiva cause a bunch of folks recommeneed this brand and said it tasted better)
1 Tbs Cocoa powder
2 OZ almonds
8 drops Kroger Calorie Free sweetner
2 reg packets of splenda
1/4 tsp of vanilla extract

Melt CO in micro for 1 min, add everything but the almonds and use a wisk to mix VERY well. Then add almonds, mix again and stick in freezer till hard. Simple, easy, and quick! I think it might be better with a tiny bit more cocoa but I think I will leave it as it is.

Oh and nice to meet ya!!!:D

angihali
09-18-2007, 06:11 AM
Good morning everyone. Hope you don't mind me joining you all over here. This appears to be were the most frequent postings are. I'm still getting frustrated but still hanging in there. My scale still is not budging. I was actually up .4 oz this morning. I want my numbers to go the opposite way, not up! Today is day 12 of the induction for me and now I have lost a total of less then 3 lbs for the past 12 days! I am staying on plan eating only what I am allowed during the induction period. My ketones are still in the 2++ zone, but my weight does not want to move. My clothes are not getting looser either. They are still exactly the same, so I have not lost any inches either. If I was loosing inches I would not be so upset. I'm sticking to water only now for my beverage. I am hoping to see a change in the scale by Friday. I'm also hoping that my total loss will be more then the 3 lbs I had lost in the first week, especially when the first 5 days I had showed a loss of 5 lbs, before it went up. I have been in a pretty good ketosis since day 3.

DeeDee, I find the the sweet cravings tend to lessen after you get through the first week. I actually noticed that my chicken kabob today at the DFAC (My only choice for lunch is what is being served in the military chow hall) tasted like it had been marinated in something sugary (decided not to eat it). I could taste the sugar in it, my husband could not. Instead I ate only the cheeseburger without any bread. I was gone to have a salad, but there was no LC dressings today, so I did without, but ate a few cucumber slices.

Diana - The Coconut Bark sounds good, I may try that myself later, but not for awhile. As long as I can do without the Junk Food Sweets, I will try to stay away from Alternative Sweets, other then the sugar free jello.

I just need to get out what seems to me to be a slump for my induction. There is a doctor here in Kuwait that specializes in Atkins for loosing weight and controling diabetes, cholesterol, and heart disease. I may actually make an appointment to go see him, especially since he is very much pro-Atkins.

aud
09-18-2007, 06:27 AM
YAY! MORE Chatters!:dance::flow1::flow2:

Unfortunately I just realized I cannot comprehend ANYTHING I'm reading here!:idea::yikes:

Will catch up over coffee . . . :coffee: . . .

'Night All!:tired:

FitinTime
09-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi Angihali,
Nice to have you here! Can I ask, are you in the military stationed in Kuwait or just live there?

On the coconut bark, yeah if you're just on induction phase, I'd wait on that.
Just keep hanging in there, and make sure what your eating doesn't have any hidden carbs or sugars.
You'll start losing, so don't give up!!! If you feel yourself getting frustrated, then come chat with us, we'll get fired up!! :carrot:

You can do it!

Hi Aud!
Your so funny! Coffee sounds good right now too, but I want the real thing not decafe,lol. Are up to go to work or back from work?
Hope you're doing good with your woe! Keep up the good and work and let's get 'er done!

Talk to you all in a bit!

beach bum
09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Got all my house work done,and so I have time to relax. DH & I are going down to the beach to get our walking done. Its still chilly up here,but he wants to continue with his exercising. He doing great using the treadmill,bike & elliptical equipment at the hospital. His breathing is improving and on Oct 8th he'll have his throat stretched by my endoscopy doctor.He can't swallow as theres scar tissued from the radiation in his throat.He'll need you ladies to pray for him again. Hopefully that will work. As far as weight is concerned he has lost 2 lbs so far.

FitinTime- Don't put your scale in different positions. Find a well lit place for you scale and leave it there.I can't move mine as I have a doctor scale with a balance bean.If I moved it the bean wouldn't be balanced anymore.

Soon-Don't kick yourself for your weekend, we all fall into that situation and the only way back it to start OPing again.

DeeDee-After induction I think you can have some kind of sweet for dessert. There several low carb web sites that you can turn to to find your treat.one of them is http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html. I like recipes that she uses.Good luck and welcome.

Angihali-Welcome to the thread. All people lose differently.When I came to the Atkins I lost 2 lb and that I stalled also. But I came off the South Beach as I was stalling there. You'll lose but you have to be patient,after all you didn't gain it all that once either. I'm sorry it easy said than done. I'm still hanging in there,after 2 cruise gains,I atemping to lose what I gained. Just stay true Atkins.

Have to go

Hugs :) BB

FitinTime
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Good Morning BB!

Prayers going your DH way, BB!! :hug:

Thanks for that scale tip, I had no idea about that. I've been moving it to keep out of the way, then moving it back out so I can use it.
I wonder if that's the problem with my scale staying in the same place? :chin:

Good Morning everyone!!!!!
Hope you're all doing good! :grouphug:

angihali
09-18-2007, 01:02 PM
FitInTime I am over here with my husband, we both work as DOD contractors **not the ones who make all the money either, unfortunetly** for the military. I wish I had a bit more control over the food I eat at lunch. I try to stick to either hamburger patties, grilled chicken, baked pork roast, and the salad bar (I only have lettuce, a few cucumbers, a few sprigs of broccoli, with 2 carb blu cheese dressing or plain vinegar and oil if no LC dressings available). Today I had only a few cucumber slices and a cheeseburger patty. I was wondering to myself though as to whether or not the buger is 100% beef or if it is beef with soy in it. I'm sure some of the times it is all beef, but I kind of wondered today. If there is soy in the burgers, that would mean additional carbs. I can't really ask, because the TCN's do all the cooking and do not really understand english all that well. They are suppose to, but most of them do not. We went to dinner in Kuwait tonight and I stuck to the buffet and made only good choices ( romaine lettuce, spinach, egg, blu cheese, chedder cheese, a teaspoon of black olives, with olive oil and vinigar for dressing). I had with that lamb and grilled fish. As for as I can remember all that should be allowed on induction. I reordered a new copy of the Atkins book on amazon and should get it later this week. My copy is back in the states.

BB Thanks for the encouragement. I will hang in there. I will make this work for me. I'm finally fed up with once again being overweight and want to get rid of my added weight. I think I am starting to get beyond the sugar addiction. They actually had a desert buffet tonight too and *i completely stayed away from it. I did not even look to see what they had, did not really phase me much. Usually, I'd peak and contemplate cheating, but no not tonight. I'll be praying for your DH too.

Aud Enjoy the coffee, too late for that around here. Id be up all night tinkling.

Well all. I'm off to get ready for bed, so I can wake up to another day of going to work. My day starts way too early, so I have to go to bed early just to get my 8 hours sleep. Tomorrow is my Friday (really Wednesday here). So my weekend is upon me, yeah!

FitinTime
09-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Be safe and well there angihali!

I was thinking, maybe you're not eating enough?!
On induction, you can eat as much as you want for the meats, poultry and fish.
Just a thought.

Have a good evening!!

deedee10
09-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Good morning everyone, well it's still morning for me here is LA. Thanks so much for all for your responses!
Azure, thanks for your post about Somersize and how you lost the 30 pounds on it. You're so right about any plan will work if you stick to it and I guess it just comes down to how much I want to lose the weight and I really do want to succeed this time.
Fitin time, thanks for the coconut bark suggestion & receipe. I'm going to check it out. Right now if I want something sweet, I've been eating sugar free jello with full whipped cream. I'm trying not to eat too much of it though.
Beach bum, thanks for the words of encouragement and the site with the receipes is awesome!
Angihali, thinking about you way over there and hope you stay safe. You sound like you have the logistics of your eating plan worked out and I know you will be successful.

I'm working my resolve up for the birthday lunch today. My plan is to have a salad and some protein and say bye-bye to the chocolate birthday cake. It's going to be hard but I know I can do this.

lilybelle
09-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi all, I was out of town for DH's cousin's funeral this past weekend.

Aud, SGOT is a measure of liver function. It is standard on a liver enzyme panel. Since yours is in range, no problem. It is often increased in people with liver or gallbladder disease.

I'm still doing SBD, although on Sat. , I didn't have any real food choice due to being with family after the funeral. I just tried to make the best choice possible.

This morning I was cleaning my bedroom and moved a small bookcase that is next to my bed. Lo and Behold, I found my wedding rings that were missing. This of course, would happen after buying a new wedding band just yesterday. I'm gonna keep just wearing the new band, until I get my original rings resized. My old rings are a size 7 and new one a size 5. I didn't even used to think I had fat fingers, LOL. I am very happy to have found them and now I have to believe DH that he didn't sell them. (HE is gone to work for the week and I haven't told him yet that I found them). I can just hear the "I told you so speech" already.

Yesterday, I learned of my son's military plans. He is to be moved from Reserve status to Active Duty status on November 1st. He will be sent to Princeton , KY base for 3 months, then to Kuwat for 2 months and then to downtown Baghdad for 1 year. (we were originally told he'd be deployed for 18 months). I'm still very sad that he is going, but I'm trying to be strong.

aud
09-18-2007, 04:07 PM
:welcome3: angihal - How's the water in Kuwait? Can't remember if you said you're drinking LOTS. (??)

I was on my way TO bed fit - I usually sleep 2-3 hours - get up to get 4th grader Tess off to school and then lay back down. DH has let me oversleep today so I'm on the run run yet again!:dizzy:

:coffee2:

Leo remains in my prayers beachie.:hug:

Where's lilyb & puncie?????:coach:

I'd stay away from anything "carbie" - for at least two weeks - regardless of the style of LC - to get those dang cravings to STOP deedee - but then again, I have a tendency to carb medicate once I'm triggered - the bark would surely set me off.:(:hungry: AND: :bday2you:

Gotta fly - ttyal in The Wee Hours!:gossip:

aud
09-18-2007, 04:14 PM
*Posting at the same time aud-lily MIND MELD*

:comp::df:

PUUUUUNNNNNCCCCCIIIIEEEEEEE???? Time to check in GF!!!!:coach:

MissyFluffs
09-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Gals, I'm new here... Having an excellent week after I cheated for a few days. Sticking to my meat and veggie plan very well and I've lost the 4 lbs I gained last week in just 3 days!

I'm so happy to have found this site.. Looking forward to getting to know other low-carb gals!

Puncezilla
09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Aud, :wave:Thanks for the holler. I'm still here.
Just not much in a chatty mood lately, just reading and trying to stay motivated.

BB, I hope everything goes well for DH on the 8th, will be praying for good results for him.

Deedee, the first 2weeks on atkins I ate the sugar free jello and whipped cream almost every night to satisfy my sweet cravings, but after that I lost the cravings completely and didn't even want it. When I want chocolate now I have LC yogourt with SF chocolate syrup.

Fit, I have to leave my scale in the same place too, or it totaly screws up my Weigh in.

Angihali, It can be realy hard when someone else is doing all the cooking for you. When I go visit my parents they put sugar or flour in almost everything they eat, they always marinade meat in soy sauce and sugar, it drives me crazy. Hang in there and do the best you can with the choices you have. It may be slower than you would like, but it will happen.

Welcome! MissyFluffs.:D

I'm still gaining, for some reason. but hanging in there. I think I need to cut out the splenda and some dairy products, Thats the only difference I can think of between now and before, when I was losing. So I'm cutting that out.
I'm going to my folks again for the last week in Sept. (With DH this time) And I'm kinda stressed about it. I still haven't lost all of the 10lbs I gained the last time I was there. I need to be strong and stay OP, but I have very little faith in myself being able to do that right now. If I can manage to lose a few before then and get some momentum, that would help.

I hope everyone has a great day!

MissyFluffs
09-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Hey Puncezilla... I tell ya, those fake sugar-free treats get me gaining every time. Make me crave tubby food too.

One thing that I think has really helped me get over a bad hump is cinnamon! I heard it was good for insulin resistance so I started adding it to my tea.. WHOA.. did it increase my energy and reduce my food cravings. Awesome stuff.

FitinTime
09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
:welcome: MissyFluffs!!
Nice to have you here joining the group. A bunch of fantastic Ladies here, for sure!
Good job on those lbs lost. Starting out again, that is great. I hope you meet your goal!!

Hey Punce, I'm saying good thoughts for you! I bet if you did cut out some of the things you mentioned you'll be back on track.
Don't get discouraged Hon!!! You go kick some :kickbutt:. Don't go out feeling defeated, becaue you have come so far and you can get past this!!

If I'm making you crazy, just tell me to back off, I don't want to be too much here. But I really care!! :hug:

Lily-- so happy that you found your rings, and uh just wanted to say the um...size 7 is not fat. LOL That's what size I wear. :lol: Actually I went from size 8 to 7.
But what a great feeling to wear a size 5!

Puncezilla
09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Mmmm. I love cinnamon, it 's good in coffee to. I should remember to put some in next time. thanks for the tip.

Puncezilla
09-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks Fit . I always apreciate the encouragement & I need someone to drive me a little crazy sometimes:p! I'm deffinately cutting all the fake sweets for a while.

JerseyGyrl
09-18-2007, 06:31 PM
On induction, you can eat as much as you want for the meats, poultry and fish.

Meats, poultry & fish are not unlimited on Atkins Induction. Dr Atkins said to eat those things "liberally"and to eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied but, not stuffed.

chickadee315
09-18-2007, 07:04 PM
yeah i havent been on lately - still stuck at 189/90 its been a few wks and i eat 15-20 g per day.

i dont know what is up i hate it!

MissyFluffs
09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Kim... that's a good point about the meats not being unlimited. I lost 50 lbs on Atkins back in 2002/2003, and I think getting carried away with proteins was part of why it stopped working for me and then I gave up.

Food buffets can really be evil, especially if you go to them all the time. There's lots of hidden carbs in the sauces that are served with the meats. I went on a 4 day cruise once and thought I was eating healthy but I had gained 10 lbs by the time I got home! Made me wish I'd gone ahead and had those cheesecakes.

I think the secret to buffets if you must eat at one is to only fill the plate one time(that's it!) with the healthiest choices.

Azure
09-18-2007, 11:47 PM
I firstly want to say HELLO to the new people postin'. Welcome aboard the LC train! Secondly, I want to give a big :hug: to all my girls. I'm woefully behind on posts and I need to crash really soon, or I would say hello individually.

Just wanted to update that I had a kick-*** day today. Breakfast wasn't on plan, but I turned it around and the rest of the day was perfection. And tonight I spent two hours in the gym (1 hour at Cardio Kickboxing then immediately after, I took the Step and Sculpt class) and burned 1200 calories! I feel invincible :) I've got to remember how accomplished I feel right now when I'm dragging my butt about getting there. This time last year there would have been NO WAY I could have survived 2 hours of intense cardio/kicking/light weights.

Tomorrow, my food's all planned out and I've scheduled in an hour for weights and HIIT if I'm not feeling completely dead or for walking if I'm super sore. :) I'm hoping for feeling okay--because the HIIT and weights would be a harder workout. I'm planning on doubling up the classes again on Thursday! I feel a Zone comin' on!

Love you girls, keep on keepin' on! :hug:

Bouncing
09-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Welcome, Missy! Um, hidden carbs in cheesecake? I always thought the carbs in cheesecake were right out in the open, dancing madly in their little tutu's and singing in 3-part harmony!

When I first started Atkins, I did overdo the protein, but after a couple of days I was satisfied with much less. I find protein to be a sort of self-limiting thing. Funny thing about Atkins, it seems to yank the appetite right into line with a reasonable portion size. For me, anyway. And I crave veggies, too. Useta be I could eat a steak and not want any veggies at all. Not any more. First, the steak is a lot smaller, and I bbq it instead of pan fry. So lots less fat. Still plenty, but much less than previously. And I have to have a cooked veggie or a big salad, sometimes I crave both. If I have the carbs to spare, I have both when I want them.

Well, interesting development: no uti. Culture came up negative. So I though about what I could be doing differently, and came up with splenda. I've been putting it in trial recipes the last several days. So I went online, and found some different sites indicating that for some people it causes problems with liver, kidneys, and bladder (among numerous other symptoms). Seems not everybody tolerates it well. Some sites were clearly lunatic fringe, blaming splenda for everything from bad hair days to liver/kidney damage, to impotence, panic attacks, and alien abduction. Some of the sites, however, seemed to be backed by solid research, including a few places that said the original FDA trials showed swollen liver and kidneys in the test rats, which they somehow justified ignoring and not making public except to people who were willing to find/wade through the actual, densely technical lab results. So I'm going to go cold turkey, no more frankensweet. Think I'll try stevia instead -- it's a natural plant extract, not a pesticide research lab result. I guess the majority of people don't notice any side effects from splenda, but just in case I'm one of the few, I'll eliminate it for a while and see if anything changes. Darn, I may have to throw out my yummy blueberry muffins, and for sure the whipped coffee & cream "cheesecake" from Linda's Low Carb Recipes. Oh, well. Live and learn. I just may have to add another ten points to the "purism" score. I sure do seem to be moving in that direction.

Lily, hooray for the rings! I wondered where you were. I'll add my prayers for your son during my morning meditation. BB, Leo's already on the praylist. Has been for days.

Angi and Missy, Plateaus Happen, it seems. What causes them for me, it seems, is salt, not enough water, or no sustained, sweaty exercise.

Aud, yep, I have a secret crush on Lord Peter Wimsey. Alas, though, I have always suspected that Lord Peter is firmly attached to Bunter, Lady Harriet notwithstanding.

aud
09-19-2007, 06:11 AM
FOUL ON BOUNCIE - NO SPEW ALERT!:drill:

Just. so. wrong.

On so many.

many. levels.

WIMSEY & BUNTER????????????:yikes:

Judging on how fast I got the visual . . . I MUST have harbored my own suspicions!:chin::sssh:

Was already chuckling (God only knows why) over the poor lab rats kidneys (so glad it wasn't uti, btw!)

I've used and like stevia - *putting on grocery list*

Welcome missyfluffs - have no idea what that's all about but you avatar & slogan made me smile here in The Wee!:)

Catch up with you all after some much needed unconsciousness - just need to quickly tell azzie that I AM A MACHINE! Not sure what ZONE I'm in but yes, I'm 10 foot tall and indeed, BULLETPROOF.

Just thought you should know.;)

FitinTime
09-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Good Morning Ladies!

I'm up and about this early morning, much to my surprise!

Hey Az- good job getting the hour in of exercise. That kickboxing sure sounds like alot of fun! 1200, that's fantastic!! WTG!

Bouncing- you have a way with words. Too funny!! You need to write a book.

Hi to Aud, Punce, Lily, Missy, Chickadee- What's going on?

Hope is everyone has a Super day today!!!!

beach bum
09-19-2007, 10:42 AM

Would you believe its starting to rain,and I have a appointment with the beauty parlor to get my hair cut & set. It never fails.Don't have to go until 12:30 so maybe the rain will stop or I guess I'll have to wear my rain hat.

Leos going for his exercise class this morning so I have a opportunity to bake my rev rolls,and get a little exercising done myself.

Hey,since I last posted, we caught a few new l/c's joining is ,welcome:welcome: to our weight loss journey

Aud-Thanks for the prayers.I heard that having the throat stretched is just every day procedure,not like the old days,but just in case it nice to have prayers ready for him.

Punceziila-Sorry about you gaining,are you total low carbing.I found if I really stick to the Atkins I stall or gain,now I 'm adding more calories to my menu and I losing again. I used to be 1200 cal per day and I brought myself to 1600 and so far it working. Not losing a lot by 1- lb here and another 1-lb there.

Azure-Keep up the work with exercising. I have to work a little hard at that part of the diet. Gotten lazy during the hot summer,was up to 1000 mins of exercise per month but now I down to half.

Bouncing-Thanks for the prayers,I really appreciate them I believe that protein is essential on Atkins but not the fatty kind like sausages of any kind or the fatty bacons, I go lean on them. I take a protein shake [that has 2 net carbs and the milk I put in the shake is 1 net carb. ]when I hungry and it satisfies me while watching TV.

Have to go, will check in later

lilybelle
09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Diana, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a size 7 ring is fat. I was talking about MY fingers only. For me to go down 2 ring sizes, my fingers had to be holding fat on them. I hope this makes sense. Heck, I even noticed when I bought this new ring that pretty much all the standard size rings are a 7 and it requires resizing to get one smaller. BTW, my SD is smaller than me and she wears a size 9 ring.

Shellie, thanks for the prayers for my son and my family.

BB, I hope you and Leo are both doing well.

Aud, glad you are in the ZONE.

Last night I sat on my butt and watched Biggest Loser. I was almost inspired to get up off the couch, but not quite.

MissyFluffs
09-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It's great to have support from people following the same diet plan as you :hug: Nice to see you other ladies workin' it so hard!

Bouncie... Hidden carbs in cheesecake? Surely you jest... :bunny2:

Lilley... I saw your before and after pics when I was surfing around... Awesome!! You're quite an inspiration. How long have you kept it all off?

I had a bad night last night, drank some wine because I wanted to kill this bug in my throat (always works for me) and I woke up this morning back at 221!! ARRRGGHHH!! I can't wait to say goodbye to the 220s, they just don't want to let go.

MissyFluffs
09-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh... and I forgot to add...

Aud.. about my avatar and slogan. It comes from an inside joke in my fiance's family. His Mom has been obese ever since she quit smoking many years ago. She likes to say "I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy".. and somehow, "fluffy" became my nickname at some point :dance:

I like it, and started using it whenever I need a handle. But now.. it's time to say goodbye to the fluff.. :club:

FitinTime
09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Diana, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a size 7 ring is fat. I was talking about MY fingers only. For me to go down 2 ring sizes, my fingers had to be holding fat on them. I hope this makes sense. Heck, I even noticed when I bought this new ring that pretty much all the standard size rings are a 7 and it requires resizing to get one smaller. BTW, my SD is smaller than me and she wears a size 9 ring.

Shellie, thanks for the prayers for my son and my family.

BB, I hope you and Leo are both doing well.

Aud, glad you are in the ZONE.

Last night I sat on my butt and watched Biggest Loser. I was almost inspired to get up off the couch, but not quite.

I know Lily, I was just kidding!! ;)

aud
09-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Managed to read the Frankenfood Thread b4 passing out last nite - didn't make for pleasant dreams! MUST get some stevia FAST! On my way to becoming a whole foods purist . . . just not anywhere close to being there yet - the terror is there under the surface - feeling like that lab rat with the chemicals already! Didja read missyfluff's Post about uti's in that Thread, bouncie? Sounded EXACTLY like what you've experienced. Great Read jerseyG! Tx for Posting it!:hug:

So glad you checked in :carrot:chickadee!:carrot: *Surrounding you with the omnipotent love and protection of THE DANCING CARROT* On my latest return to 3fc/low carb I vowed to myself to Post regardless of how I was feeling - it's kept me motivated and I highly recommend it! The support here is awesome and everyone can relate so easily to those times. Talking about how I'm feeling with those that have the same struggle has soooooo helped me tweak-it/pick myself up out of the carb-medicate gutter so many times! This journey is definitely not all sunshine and light for most. Yes, the :carrot: is sometimes the only constant.:dizzy:

OMgosh, I'm soooo glad you found your rings lily!!!:hug: Don't think I could have cyber-forgiven your DH for that one - so whatta relief! What about the bracelet? What about the safe deposit box now that you're getting things together? I'm thinking your new rings can symbolize a new start with Hub. Tx for the SGOT info - glad the ole liver is in range - gave it a Football Beer Rest this past Sunday to boot.

Fluffy? I like it - will use that thought when I'm thinking of myself as an overweight/out of shape mass of blub. I've got the karaoke in my head going to that one already - to the tune of: I Feel Lucky - ooooooh I feel FLUFFY today - hit it boys!:carrot:

Doncha love the study on how amazing subjects do when anonymous folks are praying for them without their knowledge, beachie? Favorite. Study. Ever. My basically atheist Big Brother recovered from a life/death/staph infection/life support a few years back when that study came out - I had him on so many prayer lists within our church and region - also at my work and HIS work. Dr.'s had NO explanation on how/why he recovered from total system failure! I've kept you and Leo on my prayer list for quite some time . . . along with lily's DS. (Saw the excerpt of Sally Field's at the Emmy's saying 'if Mothers ruled the world there would be no wars' - must agree and give her an Amen on that one!)

angihali - where are ya?:?: Still wanting to know how the water supply/quality is in Kuwait and if you're drinking lots??? Where are ya from originally?

Not sure if this would be possible puncie - but how 'bout doing some grocery shopping while @ parents? Something along the lines of "Look, this is the diet I'm on and I've gotta have these foods available while I'm here!" OR make it a medical issue - like about your blood sugar or something - not technically a lie, right?;) Carbs - hidden or otherwise are surely causing an epidemic of insulin resistant folks to say the LEAST! Have a big ole pack of hamburger in the box and if worst comes to worst - fry a burger up instead of the fare offered. (???:?:???)

Pack the cinnamon too - just LOVE that idea!

Sorry for the ramble - dh just told me he let me sleep late again 'cause he has an appointment that can't be re-scheduled so I'll have to be late for work to be here for DD after school - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad: - *deep breath*

Ok, I've moved on and need to move out of this PC Chair . . . . tx for the tips Missyfluffs & deedee!:hug:
Tx for being so inspirational fit!:hug:

ttyal in The Wee!:)

deedee10
09-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Okay ladies, I have to come clean. I blew my lc plan yesterday with my birthday celebration. I was really good at lunch and had a cobb salad but I had a huge piece of chocolate cake. In addition to that I went to Trader Joe's and bought a fresh baguette and a bottle of Pinot Noir which I brought home to a dinner of pasta my honey made for an intimate b-day dinner. I've tried the lc thing in the past and it really works if you stay on plan. I know, I know - every eating plan works if you stay on plan but I found I would gain weight back so quickly if I ate even a morsel of bread and I love my french baquettes. My plan now is to eat small portions of a variety of good whole foods with a large emphasis on veges and fruits, chicken and fish and beef maybe only once a week and remain consistent with my exercise plan. I'll treat myself once a week to a delicious dessert. Thank you, thank you all for your warm welcome and support. You are a wonderful group of ladies. Wish me luck with my new plan. I just need to find my way to what works for me and stick with it!

FitinTime
09-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Much success to you DeeDee!!! You can do it, if you want it and it sounds like you do!! :)

Azure
09-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Holy scale, batman! Monday's cheat meal led to later-in-the-day binges. Monday was a full-on carb extravaganza, when it wasn't supposed to be. I think the play from now on is to go OUT to eat for a single meal next time--that's a month away, though, so I guess I'll worry about it then. I expected a gain on the scale, but 157 was a tad hard to swallow...then this morning after Tuesday afternoon and yesterday on plan, I'm 158! I wanted to die. I'm not going to freak out yet, though. I've decided that Saturday or Sunday is my weigh-in day from now on, since that's when I'm posting my TBL weights. I'm hoping that my day of binging didn't cause much real fat gain. I'm going to guzzle water and watch my salt and hope that that number goes away...

I love Atkins...I don't love the numbers that pop onto the scale after a day of eating things I shouldn't. If I were on a plan with carbs as a higher daily intake, a day of indiscretion wouldn't equal a 4 pound gain on the scales! I guess it also means that my "real" weight is about 4 pounds higher than I want to admit it is--after all glycogen (and the water that comes with it) isn't fat...

I'm sorry for this, it's turning into a rant--is my downness coming through? I felt so invincible Tuesday...I'm going to just have to DO it today.

I love you girls. Thank you for giving me a place to vent this :hug:

FitinTime
09-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Azure!

Don't sweat it!! :hug: That's the beauty of Atkins or low carb woe, we can get right back on it and continue on as if nothing really happened and lose quickly. You can't do that on a low fat woe, at least I couldn't !

That lb will be gone in no time!;)

MissyFluffs
09-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey Diana... checked out your fitday.com link. That is an awesome little tool! I signed up this morning and started filling in today's food/exercise.

Check me out:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=miss%5Ffluffy

FitinTime
09-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Cool Missy!

I think it helps to know what we've eaten and the percentages, incase we need to up or lower our carbs. In my case I need to up them!
How's your way of eating coming along? Good for you on the exercise, that's something I really need to get going on! But it's so hard for me too get motivated!! :woops:

Keep up the good work there Missy!!!:carrot::carrot:

FitinTime
09-20-2007, 12:02 PM
What's up Ladies!!

Hi to Punce, Lily, Beach Bum, Bouncing, Azure, Aud, Missy, Chickadee, deedee, and all the other cool people here!!

Hope you all are doing good! Keep your chin up, your mind focused and your motivation elevated! Don't look back, just move forward!!

:grouphug: for us!!

MissyFluffs
09-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey Diana, thanks for askin! My way of eating is coming along slow. That's why I was glad to find the online food diary.

I lost the first part of my weight by doing a partially low carb/ low calorie diet and lots of exercise.. but I've been stalled for quite some time. I decided to try strict low carb again last week and haven't had a super low-carb day yet. I tend to ween myself off the bad stuff... and of course, yesterday they had a special on biscuits and gravy I just couldn't pass up :nono:

I'm really shooting for today being my first truly low carb day, and it's good to have the fitday counter to help keep me in line. It does really change things to see the actual numbers calculated in front of you. And I know if I keep those carbs down to 20 a day, the weight will just come off.

aud
09-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I think if I weighed myself - I'd be in the same mood as azure. Luckily, I don't weigh at home and its a lllloooong trip to the scale at work. Got flattened by some junk carbs - identified any change in schedule is a trigger. Times like these make me so mad at myself - but just a glance at my ticker makes me relieved that I'm not at the whopping 248# (only 2 lbs away from a whopping 250 on a 5'6" frame!!!:yikes:) . . . have come so far. Must accept & put into practice that when I plan I do so much better. (Remember losing on change of schedule Tunica Trip, auddie?) Soooo - will work on staying sane during unplanned schedule changes and lose this icky-bloated-depressed-failure-feeling - PRONTO!:carrot: I w/i on Fridays - but gonna see Saturday or Sunday if the Y scale has something different to say for the TBL w/i!;) Hang in there azzie:hug: - we'll get over this hump!:bike:

To dee-dee!:goodluck:

Do you do things like park far away and take the stairs when you can fit? I know we've all heard these tips a gazillion times but I know at the beginning of my latest journey those kind of things were literally the ONLY things I was able to do!:o The confident feeling from achieving a few flights of stairs gradually led me to go on to other exercise activities, ya know? Just a thought.

I really should use fitday more missyfluffs - I just kind of consider 3fc my "food diary" so to speak - I'm thinking when I hit a long stall I'll plug in there to tweak. Right now, I'm acutely aware of what I'm doing/ingesting and the affects.

Don't think I've updated lately about my lc wol & dh, have I? When I fist came to 3fc one of my chief complaints would be how good I was doing & then dh would become a Pastry Chef . . . or load the freezer up with my fave ice cream . . . or make giant pots of buttery whipped mashed potatoes etc etc :mad: - with the help of friends here - I realized that dh was my biggest wol saboteur and that it was coming from a place of not only insecurity but a definite CONTROL ISSUE. Has not been an issue this time around (start July 16th) - here's why, I think:

First of all has anyone been to "Menopause: The Musical?" Hilarious and describes my life to a T!:D:rofl: One song is about the Hub "living in the garage" basically to get away from the mood swings/hot flashes etc . . . well, on one of his trips to the bathroom from his garage exile (now has a stereo & all the mini comforts of the house!:p) dh found me loading up the trash can with all latest tempt treats.

("loading up the trash can" is actually not giving you the pic - "flinging ice cream cartons around the kitchen" would be a bit more descriptive.;))

This was in late June and haven't had a wol sabotage by dh since! Must have been something about the look on my ice cream and sweat drenched face?:?:

FitinTime
09-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi Aud!

No haven't heard of that musical, but that does sound good! Right up my alley too!

Yeah we are all in some kind of slump, stall, or whatever our thing is, but we have to always look how far we have come! I never thought I would lose 35 lbs! If I had lost before, I put it right back on too. I heard this Teacher say, "I'm not where I should be yet, but thank God, I'm not where I used to be"!
So I take that motto and hold on to it!

As a matter of fact Aud, I have been purposely parking far so I can walk!!
The other day I went to the store, parked in the garden section at one end, then paid for my stuff and left the store at the other end. I had one bag and 2 big long packages of toilet paper in each arm,!! How embarrassing huh! :o

Oh well, at least I got some walking in there.

beach bum
09-20-2007, 02:40 PM

Had an doctors appointment this morning for my annual physical & blood work for my cholesterol.

Spoke to the doctor about some weight calculators that I bookmarked on my computer. Telling him that I added more calories[1600] as they recommended adding more calories for my height,weight & gender. Lost 2 lbs by doing this,but now I back to SQUARE ONE again as I gained the 2 pound back. He suggested to try to find my balance,and I should try 1400 per day,and see what happens.

I'm glad you mentioned fitday,as I now can see how many calories and the percentage of carbs.,protein and fat I'm adding into my daily menus.

Lily-We're doing fine,the only thing wrong right now is our weight problem,but who doesn't have the problem. I like watching the Biggest Loser also,it does motivate me to some extant.

MissyFluffs-I don't think the wine did that to you. I find that its not what I ate the night before but its the day before that which effects my weight. I have been rocking back and forth with 163 -165. I so desperately like to be below 160 again,where I was just before last Thanksgiving.

AUD-You so right,faith & prayer is the biggest weapon to rid of disease. Thanks for putting us on your prayer list.

DeeDee-I find that bread is an downfall,in my weight loss. My doctor put me on the South Beach[3 yrs] and when its didn't work for me anymore,he suggest to go on the Atkins[Aug2006] for a while and see what happens. I found that I was carb sensitive,and low carb would have to be my WOE for life. Now I'm not sure as I'm gaining on the low carb WOE. He told me,just what I reported above I have to find my balance, in calories ,carb & fats. Thats a great idea you have there a little portion of bread is better than a depriving yourself. Maybe I'll follow in your suit.Sending you Good :goodluck: Luck and :dust: your way.

Azure-Sorry about your gain,but its not your W-I day it might be down by Saturday.My doctor told me that I would have to have 3500 calories to gain one fat pound. I sure you didn't do that.Its probably water retention from some salty meal that you had. Sending you some Luck:luck2you: also.

Have a nice one

Puncezilla
09-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi all!

I had a good day yesterday and so far today. and was back to my ticker weight this morning, I feel like I'm on a rolercoaster with the ups and downs I've been having. I't realy messing with my head.. at least I have you all to come to or I'm sure I would have given up by now. Thanks ladies.

Aud, I will be doing some grocery shopping befor I go to the folks. They know I'm not supposed to eat any grain.
Even as a teen when I was diagnosed with ciliacs, they were never realy supportive of me changing what I ate. They ate pasta and bread and junk all the time, and if I wanted to eat I had to do everything for myself, so I usualy just had to eat what they ate, they couldn't even be botherd to buy any better grocerys for me. So I was sick a lot and eventualy quit going to school.
They know I'm on a low carb plan and they are always saying how good I'm doing and how proud they are, but then don't think twice about putting sugar on the meat, or waving chocolate in my face. My mom and sister who lives with them like to bake a lot and it is very hard to resist.
I know I'm the only one responsible for my health and need to be strong and just say no.
At least I will have DH with me this time, he is very supportive of my WOE.

Anyhoo, sorry for the little spew :barf:. Have a lovely day.

Bouncing
09-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Aud: Spew? Wrong? Huh? What did I do?

krawhitham
09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm new to atkins so I thought I would post here since ya'll seem very cool.

I lost half of my weight doing calorie restricting at 1200 cals a day, but I know I can't keep that up for the rest of my life and i've heard such wonderful things about atkins so i decided to try.

it's only been two weeks and I've been enjoying it for the most part!

I am excited to get to know you all in time :D

FitinTime
09-20-2007, 10:36 PM
:welcome3: Krawhitham

Join this great circle of Ladies here! We are happy to have you!

Hope you hang out with us and share your thoughts, goals or whatever is on your mind.

aud
09-21-2007, 05:43 AM
. . . Aud, yep, I have a secret crush on Lord Peter Wimsey. Alas, though, I have always suspected that Lord Peter is firmly attached to Bunter, Lady Harriet notwithstanding.

Awwwwww, sorry for the misunderstanding bouncie - "Spew Alert Fouls" are called when you unexpectedly laugh so hard that whatever your drinking spews all over your monitor! The thought of Lord Peter & Bunter had me ROTF :rofl: . . . but the "Lady Harriet notwithstanding" has my monitor permanently encrusted with dried coffee stains!:coffee2::lol:

(Not to mention the 2nd degree coffee burns inside my nostrils!:coffee::flame:)

MissyFluffs
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Hey there Kraw... what should I call you? Is Kraw okay? I kinda like that. I just joined the other day and I'm excited about the support here.

aud.. Glad Bouncie had you spewing... don't they say laughter is good for weight loss?

Slump sisters... hopefully that will only be a temporary nickname :) I gained another pound this morning even though I've been strictly OP for two days, and mostly OP for a week. I'm also tracking my fertility, and I just ovulated a couple days ago. Wondering if perhaps it's the second half cycle bloat? I couldn't get my engagement ring on this morning, so I'm thinking it's all bloat.

That gives me a question for you ladies... if any of you suffer from severe bloating during second half of your cycle... are you ever able to lose weight during that time on the low carb plan?

lilybelle
09-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone, I've been really sick now for 3 days is why I've missed posting. Hope everyone else is doing well with the LC lifestyle. Honestly, I've just been eating whatever someone else will fix for me (which is basically a PB and Jelly sandwich or a can of soup). I have a sinus/upper resp. infection and feel like death warmed over. I saw the Dr. yesterday and got on antibiotics, inhalers, and codiene cough syrup. My wt. was down to 139 lbs. on the Dr. scales so I'm just focusing on getting well for now. I'll come catch up more later when I get to feeling better. Right now my tummy feels like I've been punched or kicked all night cause I'm so sore from the coughing.

Puncezilla
09-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Lily, Sorry you're sick, I hope your feeling better soon.

Fluffy, You should still be able to lose fat while you're bloated, you just may not notice the drop untill the bloating is gone.

Welcome Krawhitham!

Fit, BB, Aud, Azz, Bouncie,:goodvibes sending good thoughts.
& hopeing everyone's having a great OP day.

I'm hoping my slump is finaly over as I'm moving in the right direction again.

FitinTime
09-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Hey there Ladies!

So far it seems like everyone is surviving pretty good! I'm doing good myself, got some running around to do right now. Just wanted to check in and say Hi!

Lily get better soon! Your'e missed!

Hi Punce, don't worry I'm stalled out right now, hopefully I'll get over this. I'm just keep doing what I what I do!! Your attitude sounds really good, keep it up! Hang in there!:carrot:

Aud, Azz BB, Bounce, Missy and Kraw what's happeninng!!!
Missy you're so upbeat, that's great!

Bounce I'm gonna say it again, you need to write a book. :write: You have such an expressive way with words. Seriously, think about it!

Azz, still kicking butt with the kickboxing? Your not only gonna be thin, but you're gonna get tuff and buff!:boxing: LOL

Aud, you're funny and have a good sense of humor. It's pretty much needed while doing this woe, don't ya think?

BB, how's everything going. Did I make ya mad or something? Hope all is going good being near the beautiful beach.

Kraw, what are you up too, hope you're doing good and that everythings going your way!

I hope I got everybody, we're just becoming one big happy, Brady Bunch-ish family!!! :grouphug:

Everybody take care, have a happy Friday!!!

krawhitham
09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
wow thanks for the welcomes everyone!
Lil, Im sorry you are sick I get sinus infections every winter and I've had them very severely before I know how it feels...NOT fun. I really hope you get better soon! If you are apt to getting sinus infections a lot (if this isnt a freak occurance) you might want to look into buying a NetiPot to wash out your sinuses from time to time. It works for me!

I had a question for everyone about the Atkins bars/shakes. I hope this is an OK place to post it -- why does it say there re 22g of carbohydrates in the bar with 10g of fiber but then it says 2 NET grams? I thought net grams of carbs was basically total carbs minus carbs from fiber?

I'm new to this, and I haven't read Dr. Atkins' book yet (YET!) so bear with my stupid questions for now :p

JerseyGyrl
09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
I had a question for everyone about the Atkins bars/shakes. I hope this is an OK place to post it -- why does it say there re 22g of carbohydrates in the bar with 10g of fiber but then it says 2 NET grams? I thought net grams of carbs was basically total carbs minus carbs from fiber?

Those Atkins bars are confusing aren't they! First of all, they claim to be "appropriate" for Induction...DO NOT believe that! They contain things like Milk, Soy & Peanuts...none of which are on the acceptable foods list for Induction!

To explain the way they calculate 2 net carbs....for example, the chocolate peanut butter flavor has 22 total carbs & 10 grams of fiber, therefore the net carb count SHOULD be 12. They claim on the front label 0 grams sugar alcohol....however, they arrive at the 2 net carbs by deducting Glycerine...which is a SUGAR ALCOHOL!!!

Do yourself a favor and save your almost $2 a bar and stay far away from them! They are EVIL!!!

aud
09-21-2007, 04:18 PM
:welcome3: kraw! May I call you kraw?:^: What's a netipot? DH is a big time sinus sufferer & I think our 4th grader Tess is following in his footsteps closely. Sometimes it looks like she has two lil black eyes from the stuff in the air/clogged/sneezes!:(

Whatever is in the air is definitely going 'round lily - I don't usually have probs and had a horrible infection that was hard to kick not too long ago - had to take one round of anti-biotics and then another (that card of pills?) Hope you kick it fast!:hug:

Where's Our beachie????

Hiya puncie . . . you'll do great this weekend - take some pork rinds and sour cream maybe??? (Then you can listen to the family cluck about "Oh, that CAN'T be good for you!" - smile and cram your face full!;)) Not real sure what celiac is but a thought about your folks - it may not have been that they didn't care or want to bother - they may have just been simply terrified and preferred to be in denial???

I've witnessed this weird phenomenon firsthand in my extended family - great niece was thought to be having seizures and/or cerebal palsey type stiffening tremors as a baby . . . when she got older she was correctly diagnosed as having some kind of genetic potassium disorder - long story short - niece-in-law Mom had had it as a child too. Her Mother/now grandma was like "Oh, it never did affect her much - we didn't pay much attention to it" - blaizzey attitude - the specialist said absolutely NO caffeine-could be deadly (flush out potassium - heart stops) - GET THIS: Me and my Sister (who is the other Gran) walk into the Childrens Hospital and here she is with a JUG OF FREAKIN' ICE TEA - putting into the sippy cup!!!!!!!!!:mad: WHILE her daughter (the mom) sits idly by. The lil one had been AIR LIFTED TO THIS HOSPITAL JUST DAYS b4!:o When my Sis was like WTF??? The response was "Oh she just LOOOOOVES grandma's tea!":?:

Good news - my great niece is 7 now and doing fine. We've talked a lot about this and just think that the in-law family dealt with their fear thru denial and altho' their attitude and actions were dangerous - in a weird way - they were trying to be loving, the best they could, ya know?

Have no idea if this is the case with your fam . . . sorry in advance for the long Post - just wishing ya well on your visit!:hug:

krawhitham
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes everyone may call me Kraw, or Ham/Hammy/Hammilicious (the last three letters of my username) is a popular one too haha...I will respond to pretty much anything :p

A NetiPot looks almost like a mini watering can or teapot, and you fill it with warm water and salt, and you put it in the pot and pour it in your nose! Then you gently blow your nose and well, it basically makes everything come out... and voila, no more sinus infections! There are many websites devoted to the use/instruction on use of neti pots :)

And I am sad to hear about the bad bad thing that is the Atkins bars :( In my opinion, they are yummy, especially (in my line of work) when I'm out in the field for 4+ hours and can't get a meal, they're a great thing to have to keep me hanging til dinner etc... but I will try to bring along more induction-friendly snacks from now on...no more bars!

Puncezilla
09-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks Aud, I'm glad your niece is doing good.
Celiacs is basicly the inability to digest the protien gluten, found in most grain. I get IBS and it impares my abillity to absorb vitamines and minerals. It also causes my body to produce antibodys that attack the thyriod.
I know my parent care, I think they just dont understand what it does to me since its not an imediate and severe responce to the food.
One reason I like atkins so much is it cuts my cravings and makes it easier to resist those bad foods.

FIT, you'll get over your slump soon.:cheer2:Here's me cheering you on.

Bouncing
09-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Poor Lily! Hope you feel better soon! Coughing until your stomach muscles are sore -- ick. Read once about somebody who coughed so much and so hard they broke a rib! Codeine cough syrup is magic, though.

Aud: So glad you're not reprimanding me -- I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I might have said that was bad manners! Whew. Alas, tho, I still think Bunter is going to win. How can I possibly compete with someone who irons perfectly?

Well, the 239 is now official, gonna change my ticker. I saw it 3 times now. Heh. Fifteen more lbs and I'm just obese, not morbidly obese. Sounds like a milestone to me! When I get there I shall throw a huge party, with fireworks and a live band and scantily clad dancing men. You're all invited in advance.

We have had rain and hail, 2 months earlier than usual. Big relief to me. I turned the scanner off for the year, and so did my neighbors. We don't have to listen for fire dispatches anymore. Right before it started to rain, there were several vegetation fires around the county, one of them next to the range of some dear friends. It was soooo dry, and windy. We've had half our usual rainfall. Calfire was so edgy about the fire danger, they were launching tankers to bomb teeny stuff that could be put out by one guy with a shovel, under less extreme conditions. I think everybody breathed a huge sigh of relief when it started to rain.

beach bum
09-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Sorry for Posting late again,but when Leo Leaves for his exercising I do mine. I got to do the 3 Mile WAPT tape[power walking].and before that I was searching the net for information about a 1400 calorie per day. Doctor thinks that 1600 was too high for me so he suggested 1400 instead.

I found some web sites That had a Nutrient Requirement Calculator and for my height, weight ,gender,age and activity I should be eating 2000 to maintain and 1500 calories to lose 1 1/2 lbs a week. along with the calorie count for the day they pasted that I need 75 grams protein,50 grams of fat and 188 gram of carbs.

So now that poses the question:?::?: on induction we start out with 20-25 grams of carbs and than you work yourself up with 5 grams per day until your stall and than you go back to a lower carb count. Well when I was truly on Atkins I stalled at 35 grams never being able to go higher. How can this Calculator be right, saying I need 188 grams of carb,unless they are talking about :carrot: :broc:VEGGIES :broc::carrot:

Puncezilla-Congrats:cheers: on getting your ticker to move downward.Wish that was me, I have to push my ticker upward as I gained 2 lbs from last week weight. That why I think 1600 is too high for me.

Kraw-Welcome:welcome: to the thread & board.HUMM!! 1200 calories and you :carrot:lost.:carrot: I'm afraid to go down that low.I think I did severals years ago and went into a starvation mode.Doctor suggested 1400 to 1500.I'm listening :listen: this time around. The Atkins bars 22-10 =should be 12 there a mistake some where. I would suggest you listen to Jersey Girl,as she right they are EVIL.

MissyFluff-Sorry:sorry: about the gain,that a possible that TOM is hanging around. Gee I can't hep you there as I go rid of TOM years ago.

Lily-Oh Gee!! sorry your not feeling well,hope your :getwell: better soon. Congrats :cheer: on your below weight loss on the doctor scale. My doctors scale read a 2 lb gain yesterday.

Fitintime-No:no: you didn't get me mad,I was busy doing other things like surfing the net instead of posting,sorry.:sorry: Did be a chance to walk along the beach,but got my exercising done anyway.

AUD-I'm here,don't get upset you won't get rid of me that fast.:D:D Thanks for missing me.

Bouncing-We posted at the same time. Congrats :cheers:on moving your ticker down. Your doing terrific.

Have to go,and start dinner,have a nice evening

Azure
09-21-2007, 07:19 PM
BB~ About that nutrition calculator--most conventional dietary recommendations recommends WAY more carbs than you'll probably ever eat even while maintaining on a LC diet. In Atkins, we replace all those extra carbs with Protein/Fat calories. :) I have to ignore a lot of dietary "guidelines" while on Atkins. C'est la vie ;)

I'll make a real update soon, girls...I've been kinda out of it since seeing 158 on the scale the other day. I got to see 156 today, so maybe I'll be alright--but I went a little overboard eating Atkins bars today... I have no idea why I bought an entire box of them when I was shopping today. Atkins bars en masse = too many sugar alcohols = me in the bathroom for a solid two hours.

Anyway...I'm going out to the movies with friends tonight, so I'm hoping some social interaction will make me feel better. :hug: Love you girls.

RobinW
09-21-2007, 09:18 PM
starting fresh again today!! :cb:

Bouncing
09-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Aw, thanks, BB!

Kraw, welcome! Yeah, I had trouble with the Atkins bars. Some other good carry-around snack suggestions: hard boiled eggs. String cheese in little packets. Unopened tuna and a can opener (I especially like this one). Celery stuffed with cream cheese. Be sure to watch cheese qtys.

lilybelle
09-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I do feel a little better this evening, but my tummy and ribcage are still hurting and my food and coffee tastes yucky.

BB, those food calculators don't work for me either. It says I can eat 1800 cal's a day to maintain. I can when it's all low-carb. But, even 1500 cal's a day with high carbs and I gain. When I reached my goal of 145 lbs., I was eating 2000t cal's a day and only 35 carbs daily. Oh man, when I switched to calorie counting and added in the carbs, I thought I was starving.

Kraw, welcome.

Hi to everyone else. I'm gonna go try to get some sleep.

RobinW
09-22-2007, 12:05 PM
:wave:

coolchange
09-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi folks, Found the low carb link. Hooray!! Back on track and feeling good today. Hope to stay that way for sometime to come until I can live at goal comfortably. Any support will be greatly appreciated. I had a good drop this week, 3 + lbs. First week back of course, but hey, feels great. Off to do some work now. How much water does everyone drink? I try for 6 glasses but man, I am constantly running to the bathroom. Not practical in my line of work.

Puncezilla
09-22-2007, 02:12 PM
HI, fellow Losers!
How's everyone doing?

Bouncie, Congrats on your loss! keep it up, you're doing great!

BB, I agree with what Azz and Lily said about those nutritional guidelines. That kind of a diet may work for some people but sure doesn't work for me.
We are all different and I don't think any kind of generalized plan like that is going to work for everyone. It may work for you, you just have to keep trying till you find something that does.

:wave:Hi Robin, Nice to see you posting, even just a quick hello to let us know your still here.

coolchang, welcome! I try to drink 4 bottles of water a day (500ml each) But usualy only manage to get through 3. I do find I lose better if I get all my water down.

I'm still OP. getting ready for my trip, leaving tomorrow so may not be on again for a while.

Have a great weekend everyone!

beach bum
09-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Didn't do to good on my W-I this morning. I'm up 2 lbs.from last week I know I should change my ticker ,but hopefully its just water as I had a high sodium dish yesterday. I just can't quit having salty stuff. Doctor told me that I crave salt more than sweets being on a low carb diet so long. Now I'm going to wean myself off the low carb and start eat moderate carbs.

No Golf this weekend,Leo's watching a football game instead. So I decided to do some cooking.

I'm making the HEART SOUP[VEGGIE] for next week. Leo & I are going to do something new in our life's,I think I reported to you in an earlier post.We going to have dinner around 2PM and have supper in the evening. Hoping to get our metabolism moving again.So its going to be soup and sandwich or some other item at supper time.We both feel like we're not getting anywhere on the scale.

Azure-Maybe your right about the carbs,I thought the 188 carbs was a bit high also,that why I questioned it. Not going to follow that chart except for the 1400 cal count. My doctor told me to try to have a calorie intake around 1400 if the 1600 was too high.Oh to be 156 again, I used to complain to my doctor when I was that weight. Now I'm 10 lbs heaver.

Lily-Don't know what to do to get this weight down.Spoke to the doctor about some weight calculators that I bookmarked on my computer. Telling him that I added more calories[1600] as they recommended adding more calories for my height,weight & gender. Lost 2 lbs by doing this,but now I back to SQUARE ONE again as I gained the 2 pounds back. He suggested to try to find my balance,and I should try 1400 per day,and see what happens.

CoolChange:welcome: to the thread & board. Congrats :carrot: on your 3 lb weight loss.

Puncezilla-Its not a diet,it just a nutritional guideline suggesting that for my weight height & gender I should use to lose weight. I still Beaching along with low carbing. Punce,I have been gaining for no reason at all, my doctor is going to check my thyroid & insulin again from the blood work I had on Thursday.Waiting to hear the results.Have a wonderful time on your trip.

Have a nice day & evening

Azure
09-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Punce and Diana-- Thanks for sending your thoughts out to me, I've been almost mentally and emotionally pouting since my carb binge on Monday--and then I doubled up on my intense cardio classes (2 hours straight!), taking Cardio Kickboxking, then a Step and Sculpt class on Tuesday. I felt awesome about it afterward, and wasn't too sore on Wednesday, but Thursday I was VERY sore. I haven't exercised since this week--I couldn't have handled doing the cardio kickboxing class on Thursday night.

I've decided I'm going to try and do weights and HIIT on Mondays and Wednesdays, just Cardio kickboxing on Tuesdays, then do the double-up with Cardio Kick/Step and Sculpt on Thursday nights. If I double up Thursday nights, then I can do something easy like a walk on Fridays, and spend two days being miserably sore over the weekend ;)

One more day until my "official" weigh in. I was actually 153 today! So I am making progress, in spite of my indiscretions this week (carb blowout Monday and only getting in 120 minutes of exercise this week...). Guess being On Plan otherwise has helped!

I'll be checking in more often now that I feel like I'm finally coming out of my slump! Love to you girls!

aud
09-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Well my lil OffPlan train wreck has me stalled . . . but tx to my new exercise hero azzie . . . I'm back from an AWESOME WORK-Out at the Y! Hit it Dancin' C::carrot:

:carrot:

Not quite Cardio KickBoxin' . . . but this ole gal was drenched in sweat for 2 hours!!! EFX & weights. Almost finished a book on tape (The 11th Commandment - CIA gone wrong) and almost didn't make it to my car that I had parked A MILE AWAY! DANCE WITH ME you tall handsome & orange DEVIL!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Headed for some kind of Autumn Festival in our quaint downtown (killed by The Big Boxes) . . . more walk walk walking . . .

Catch up with you all later . . .

Let me see him one more time?

Azure
09-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I love you, Auddie :)

carolr3639
09-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Lily, Are you back on lc now? I decided to try it again for a few days and it sure makes you feel better. It's really hard for me to stick with, however.

RobinW
09-22-2007, 11:20 PM
thanks punce :)

lilybelle
09-23-2007, 11:36 AM
carol, my Dr. told me to do SB diet because of my insulin level problem and he wants me to use it for maintenance. The main thing I'm noticing with SBD is that with all the beans I can eat, I'm not having the tummy problems that I had with Atkins. But, I'm still staying really low-carb. No potatoes, no rice, no bread, no flour, no sugar,no pasta, and other than beans no starchy veggies. It seems to suit my tummy pretty well. My meat choices are however lower in fat than I used with Atkins.

BB, you might want to give the 1400 cal's a try. Those calculator things just don't work.

I sure need to get to moving again. Hoping by tonite that I feel up to exercise again.

beach bum
09-23-2007, 02:20 PM

No Big Golf Game today so I do have time to post to your guys. DH is watching foot ball,and won't be wanting the computer.What a beautiful autumn day we have up here,going to go outside and sit on the patio and read the newspaper.

Lily-Thanks Your probably right,Started my 1400 calorie per day week,today and calculating all my meal at fitday. I'm was thinking that its going to drive me crazy,counting all the numbers using those nutritional calculators.

Azure-You're do fantastic with the cardio & kick boxing.I think I have to up my exercising also,as you can see on my exercising log on the sticky I'm walking with weights.Have to get more done in that dept.

Have a great day,

Bouncing
09-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi guys. Welcome, Cool! I've done a lotta diets/support groups, and this place is the best I have ever seen: so many winners in one place, and people who have kept it off, and one of the most amazing things I've gained is the ability to look at a slip as just an oops after which I go immediately back on plan, rather than an Oh-My-God-I'm-Doomed-So-I-May-As-Well-Go-Ahead-And-Eath-The-World-Now scenario. This is such an essential skill, I think long-term maintenance may be impossible without it. I never had that ability before. If I ate something not on plan, I'd go all DramaQueen and give up. Now, my binges are teeny: a few carbs over my self-defined limit one day, instead of a homemade pound cake, a bag of chips, a pkg of oreos, a medium size bag of M&M's and two peanut butter sandwiches on thick-sliced homemade bread, followed tomorrow by everything I didn't think of today. If I go completely nuts, I may eat 25 too many carbs -- not hundreds and hundreds! This is a good place to be, and will definitely change your life if you let it.

carolr3639
09-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Does anyone see a lessening of appetite with low carb? I've read that somewhere. Something to do with ketosis. Lily, how do you fix the beans? I've never been a bean eater except maybe baked beans and they have so much sugar in them. I don't even eat them very often.

MissyFluffs
09-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Bouncie... Your post was exactly what I needed this morning! I'm feeling rather bad about myself because I had some beers last night, and then started making really bad decisions. Splurged on a pint of Ben & Jerry's!!!! OH the HORROR!

I went ahead and put everything I ate on my fitday journal. In the past, I think I would have just gotten mad at myself and gave up... turning into a several day binge. But seeing it all on fitday really helped me gain some perspective. Yesterday looks bad bad bad, not just from beer and icecream, but had a buffet breakfast as well. But I see that for the week I'm still at a more calories burned vs. eaten ratio, and I can still make my goals for the month if I don't give up now.

I have to say, in the past a litttle fall back like this might have turned into a week fall-back due to "giving up", but you gals really have encouraged me. Thanks so much!

Perhaps if I feel like having a beer in the future, I should make someone babysit me and not allow me to follow it with a pint of icecream! Lesson learned!

carol... I definitely notice a lessening of appetite on low carb diets. I've done calorie counting too. Found that eating high fats (no franken-trans fats!) lessens my appetite even more. I'll eat to my fill on a calorie ratio of 50% fat, 20% carbs, 30% protein, and end up eating only 1200 to 1600 calories without being hungry even once during the day.

beach bum
09-24-2007, 12:50 PM

Woke up late again not feeling well, noting bad just one of those common colds.LOST 1-lb from the high sodium dinner I had the other day. Now for the scale to go down again,famous last words. :D

Did manage to get my exercising:exercise: done while DH at the hospital doing his.Today we start eating our main :hun:meal at noon.One of the nurses told my DH thats its good idea to eat earlier in the day.This way you do go to bed with a full stomach. Wish us luck:goodluck: that it works for us.

Bouncing-Try to stop,giving up after a binge. We all have them,just go back to Program,and the worst thing is to beat :frypan:yourself up over it. Sending you some :dust: Hope it helps.

Carol-I definitely don't crave as much being on a low carb woe compared with other diets high in carbs,but that just me. Hope you find some more answers,as it would be interesting what other people say.

Have to go start dinner,will check in later,once the new thread pops up.

shrl
09-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Going back to low carb, only way I can seem to lose and keep bs's down, I would like to Join you all.
Ann

aud
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi & :welcome3: shrl!

Each week we start a new LC Chat - come and join us here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123529&page=2

PS: :wave: carol! I've experienced loss of appetite - hope you'll come up to this week's chat and ask lilyb for her bean recipes!:)