Does it Work? - An Old Fashioned Diet Aid

View Full Version : An Old Fashioned Diet Aid

Ruthxxx
09-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Just for fun, here's an ad from an old newspaper around 1910.

walking2lose
09-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Ewwww... people actually bought and swallowed tape worms to be thin??!! I had no idea!!! How nasty!

GeorgiePorgie
09-16-2007, 03:56 PM
That is REALLY gross. I wonder if they could feel them once they swallowed them!

srmb60
09-16-2007, 04:08 PM
I think that my Mom told me about this a long time ago. She believed that Elizabeth Taylor tried it.

LindseyLouWho
09-16-2007, 05:53 PM
My biology teacher in 9th grade told me that someone in the 70s placed an ad in the back of a beauty magazine for a diet pill that guaranteed to let you eat all you want and still lose weight, much like the claims in this ad.

Turns out, the capsule merely contained a section of tapeworm. The woman who purchased the pill from the ad sued the company because she ended up looking emaciated, found out she had a tapeworm, and ended up having to have a large section of her intestine removed.

My biology teacher has since been proven to tell her share of tall tales, but this one sounds like it COULD have some truth to it...

Suzanne 3FC
09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
:rofl:

Ellen
09-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Thankfully, I am not THAT desperate!

Kati
09-16-2007, 11:06 PM
That nasty thing is, people do this today. Blech

glyconutrients
09-17-2007, 04:36 PM
I wonder if they also dragged their butts along the carpeting in those days like dogs do when they have worms?

2muchbackend
09-17-2007, 06:39 PM
I've heard that people really use to do that. Don't know how truthful it is?

PaulaPP
09-18-2007, 01:52 PM
I am pretty sure my aunt did this when she was a teenager (in the late 1960's or early 1970's). She grew accustomed to eating whatever she wanted and losing weight...so when she had to have the worm removed (don't know how that happened) she kept eating like she had been and gained all the weight back and then some. She is now about 350 llbs at 5'2".

losinitin07
09-18-2007, 02:09 PM
no :thanks:I think I will stick to this:ebike:and:swim:and:running:and less of this:jeno:and this:m:and this:burger:and skip the tape worm all together lol:dizzy:

aphil
09-18-2007, 03:42 PM
:barf:

Oh man....I have a severe worm phobia as it is, and that just made it worse.

phantastica
09-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Sanitized, jar-packed, and easy to swallow! LOL

CinnamonGirl
09-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't know if this is true but if it is YUCK! I totally feel like you do, Aphil.

This is interesting... it's not necessarily true OR FALSE!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/vanities/tapeworm.asp

marbleflys
09-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I think there was an episode last year on House, MD....where they removed this 7 foot tape worm from a person, or maybe it was Grey's Anatomy....originally the person was DX'd to have some strange disease...but detective doctors proved otherwise.

the only place worms don't bother me is in the garden....ICK!

marlu
09-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Another dangerous old-fashioned method of losing weight was ingesting the chemical DMP or 2,4 dinotrophenyl. This substance was used extensively in WWI munitions plants. Workers in those plants started dropping weight like crazy. In 1920 Standford University conducted a study which proved DMP did indeed cause rapid weight loss with no decrease in calories or increase in exercise. Doctors began prescribing it to their patients.

These patients definitely lost weight. Unfortunately quite a few of them died.

DMP directly affects cellular metabolism by changing the way the cells respond to energy so that more of the calories taken in are turned directly into heat instead of being stored or used to fuel body processes. This raises the body temperature. At low doses of the chemical patients would be uncomfortably feverish. At higher doses their temperatures would skyrocket past the fever zone (101 to 104 degrees, through the sunstroke zone (105 to 112 degrees) and beyond.

Essentially these patients were cooked to death from the inside out.

DMP was banned for weight loss in the 1930's. It's still sold legally as a fungicide and weedkiller.

Believe it or not DMP has been making a comeback as a weight loss drug among hard core body builders.

ANOther
10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
bump 10:18: If any of you ever read the Seabiscuit book that came out a few years ago, one chapter goes into the horrible abuses jockeys inflicted on themselves to keep their weight down (fortunately the movie version doesn't go into that). It mentions tapeworms, laxatives and some awful substance that sometimes even exploded in the bottle :eek: :fr: :faint:

shrinkingchica
10-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Oh man....I have a severe worm phobia as it is, and that just made it worse.

OH MY GOD YES! I have the severe heebie-jeebies after reading that. *shudders*
That is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard about in my entire life. Well, realisticly... probably the most disgusting thing. But ucky to the unteenth degree for sure and certain. :barf:

lisapotamus
10-24-2007, 09:00 PM
:p

freiamaya
10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Check out this NY Times article...
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,770212,00.html

lettingslenderin
10-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Oh my. Sanitized, too.

starsxxxstraps
10-25-2007, 03:01 PM
thats really creepy! and icky!

audrabolster
11-18-2007, 08:26 PM
wow!

Misery Chick
01-01-2008, 12:58 PM
yup it is creepy allright...but really how many creepy things are we doing in this day and age to lose weight...it is kind of sad how many scams there is out there right now, that in another 50 or so years there is going to be people that are making the same kind of comments about us and what we have done to try and lose weight...there will never be a simple easy fast way to be skinny....

BabyNicole
01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm watching a show right now on E (Diet Fads) that says this is true! :o It is illegal in the US, but this guy went to an impoverished country to get the worm! Then he said when he was "done" he took a pill to kill it. He said he FELT the worm being killed in his body b/c it was twitching! I swear I started gagging just thinking about it!!!! I don't know how anyone can purposely do this!

Misery Chick
01-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Ok I was having a bad day and eating chips,,,,bad bad bad...but after reading the last post...the chips went into the garbage.....grosssssss

BabyNicole
01-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Ok I was having a bad day and eating chips,,,,bad bad bad...but after reading the last post...the chips went into the garbage.....grosssssss

LOL You made me laugh! My job is done! ;)

missionaccomplished
01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I wonder if they also dragged their butts along the carpeting in those days like dogs do when they have worms?

LMBO!!! That would be a different worm that causes dogs to do that! LOL

My 8th grade drama teacher told us about this one day because there were so many girls taking the Dexatrim capsules back then. She said that they rolled the tapeworms and put them into the capsules and explained what tapeworms did! A very effective scare tactic to us 8th grade girls...25 yrs ago!

2muchbackend
01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
That guy on the E show was crazy and if I understood it right he only lost 12 lbs that is just plain stupid! I don't need things that aren't supposed to coming out of my rear!

just_a_dreamy1
01-07-2008, 01:07 AM
:lol:

Oh, my! Those poor, ignorant women.

raj
01-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I read someone asking for tapeworms on yahoo answers.
she said she saw some TV program. Fortunately for her all the answers did not support her.
I believe this is equal to getting a disease to lose weight.
How about trying to eat your own cr@p, i heard you get typhoid and man I have seen typhoid patients lose a lot of weight :-P.

The dragging their butt on carpet joke was hilarious. LOL

kattharris
12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't know, there are days when I feel like I would try anything.

shcirerf
01-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I work for a vet so the tapeworm diet caught my eye!

Definitely not one I would recommend. With all the gross worm stuff we see I can't imagine getting them on purpose.

Fleas carry the tape worm eggs that are seen in dogs and cats and they get the tape worm by eating mice, rabbits, etc that have fleas. The adult tape worm attaches itself to the intestinal wall and absorbs nutrients through its skin.

It make new segments near its head and the old ones at the tail are sluffed off and that's the little white things you see in poo.

Thankfully they are not hard to get rid of, but if you live on a farm, chronic infestation is a problem. Frontline now has a great once a month wormer.

The butt dragging joke was funny.:lol: Just so you know, dogs don't drag their butts when they have worms. They drag their butts because their anal glands itch.

That ends the worm lesson for the day.:D