Old 09-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default New ADA guidelines for insulin use ????

I just read an article today that says the ADA has changed their thinking on Type II Diabetes and recommends that if you do not have good control of your blood sugar within 2 months of starting a diet and exercise plan AND taking Metformin - you should start insulin. This is vastly different from when I was diagnosed. I am on met but cutting it back slowly because my A1c has been in the non diabetic range. Just wanted to mention it for anyone who is having trouble with their blood sugar and is currently using Met. Might want to mention it to your endo or GP.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Where did you read the article? Maybe there is an on-line source that we could have a look at.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I found this....but it is from the website of a drug company that, I believe, produces insulin...

http://goinsulin.com/importance_of_i...uidelines.aspx
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Mandalinn . . .

I see where that article seems to suggest adding insulin earlier than might have been done a few years ago (and that is not particularly new information). However, nothing seems to refer to the two months, nor anything indicating that this is a new decision.

I also went and checked the ADA website and ADA press releases for this year and can't find anything, either.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband was recently put on Lantus, the extended release insulin. He was having side effects with the Avandia, and even though the blood sugar numbers where still pretty good, his doctor recommended the Lantus, because my husband is young (late 30's), and the doctor wants his numbers in the fantastic, not just good range. My impression that part of the change in view on insulin, is the development of the extended release insulin.

It often takes more than a couple months to get blood surgar under control, so that seems a little quick to judgement for anyone to use it as a guideline. Are you sure it wasn't two years?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote