100 lb. Club - Thin people that got fat vs. fat people!

Trazey34
09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Is this a weird question to ask??? But I’m curous – by a show of hands…er…emails… would you consider yourself someone thin but have gotten fat (ie. a normal size most of your life but gained weight after children or because of stress etc.) or have you been fat your whole life?

If a fairy waved a magic wand, and ***poof*** you were slim and trim and fit, do you think you would keep that body for long or would you gain weight?

For myself, I’ve always been bigger than average but the last 15 years (hmmmm since DH came along! Hahah) I’ve REALLY packed it on, probably 100 pounds in 15 years holy s**t is that right???? Yes it is! Omg!! If I had to say WHY???

1) laziness
2) happiness
3) eating the hubby’s “Italian” way ie a pasta course before the main course!! Of course, eating the Italian way (as above AND only 3 meals a day/ NO junk whatsoever, no processed foods etc.) didn’t stop me eating the north American way too!! So tons of pasta before a meal AND lots of junk food & fast food too!!! Nice!!!
4) Feeling entitled – ie. I’m so awesome I DESERVE to eat what I like without consequence!!! Counting calories & exercise is for suckers!!!
5) Laziness…oh I said that…but it warrants two entries!! I cannot stress HOW lazy I can be!!! It would NEVER occur to me to walk 1 block to do something, take the car….never park far away, drive around for minutes to find a spot up front……
6) Being ‘entertainment central’ for our group of friends – people over almost every weekend, make big meals and desserts for everyone, drinks, etc.
7) Did I mention lazy???????? I wish I’d inherited my dad’s fanatical desire to hike and walk miles and miles every day…. Sigh…..
8) I’ve felt ok…thought everything was fine…. Til 40 ugh then it hit the fan LOL the old knees can’t take it anymore

Wow could this post BE more self-indulgent or long??? Sorry guys!! But I AM interested in what you think – are you thin and just fat for now, or have you always been fat and are making a change? Which do you think is the harder journey or are they the same???

Eves
09-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I´ve been fat since 7th grade, so I´ve been fat for almost 2 thirds of my life.

I think if a "weight fairy" came and °POOFED° me thin before this JAnuary I would be back to fat in no time.

Right now, I think I would be too freaked out by the new body to put anything in it. I would be paranoid thin. I think going slowly is helping me get in the right frame of mind to be and to remain at a healthy weight. If tomorrow I was suddenly thin I would have no clue what to do!

PS. For me it´s far easier to stay fat. But I´m young and don´t suffer any medical problems. In ten years though...yikes!

Jen415
09-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I've always been fat. Always. Don't know what thin is...

ChristyDM
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I've been heavy as long as I can remember. I know in high school I was in the marching band and I always was one of the first to pick up my uniform to be sure I'd get one that fit. I see pictures of myself as a kid and while I wasn't an obese child, I was kind of chubby. As a kid, I was always the "brainy one" or "teacher's pet". I started having to wear glasses in second grade, and I was pretty shy. All those factors usually led to me doing my own thing at recess and not really being actively involved with other kids. So that started the downward trend. Chubby kid = not a lot of friends = turn to food = get chubbier = even less active, etc. Thinking about it now has tears in my eyes. I want to lose this weight. I'm tired of having it, tired of dealing with it, tired of feeling tired, etc. I'm 30 years old, I'm too young to start having the health problems that come with obesity. I want to be a mommy someday and if I don't get this weight off, I might be able to conceive, if I am lucky. But I want to be a fun active, involved mommy. Not one whose weight gets my kid made fun of. But to honest, in a lot of ways I am also scared to death to lose down to a "normal" weight. I'm afraid I won't know how to act. I am scared people will no longer see me for who I am really am inside. I'm nervous that if I meet someone after I reach my goal, they might no longer like me when they find out that I was once 304 pounds. I know, that days a long way off, but still....I worry about it. If a magic fairy could wave her wand and <poof> I'd be thin, I honestly don't think I'd take her up on it. I feel like I need this transition time to retrain myself and learn as I go.

Sorry....my answer isn't 100% what you asked...but once I started typing I just couldn't stop and had to get it all out. Short answer is...I've never been thin and then gotten fat. But someday I'll be a "I was fat and then I got thin" person. :)

Robin41
09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm actually not really sure. I was 5'10" in the 6th grade so I always felt huge regardless of my actual weight. Looking back at pictures, I was very athletic and really, had somebody told me I looked fine then, I would have believed them. What I had, though, was a Mom who wanted a petite little blond daughter and got a tall athletic brunette.

I didn't pack on the pounds until I got out of high school and the athletics stopped. Throw in a lot of social awkwardness and I was a mess.

I think I can keep the thin, athletic body so long as I keep up the exercise. It's the real key for me; I need the structure.

I definitely think it would be easier to get back to a body you once had than to try and create an entirely new one. People who put on weight for pregnancy have a lifetime of healty eating habits to fall back on. That's not true if you've got 40+ years of poor eating experiences.

rockinrobin
09-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I struggled with my weight from 5th grade on. Managed to stay in the high 130's throughout high school (remember I'm only 5 feet no inches), through horrible dieting. My weight really took off when I met my husband, some 22 years ago. I just gained and gained and then gained some more.

I don't know which journey is harder, this one is the only one that I've lived through, well duh. I've lived so many years being morbidly obese and having awful, awful eating habits. Habits and behaviors that are so ingrained in me, that it will always be a struggle. I will always be fighting these demons. But at least now I know that it's a fight worth fighting and one that I can come out on top of.

Lainey2
09-12-2007, 12:44 PM
I was a skinny child and a skinny teenager. In my mid 20's I would also say thin, however, I didn't think I was thin, as I had a terrible eating disorder. Looking back at pictures though, I can see that I was thin. I had alot of muscle tone too from all the working out. I actually looked very healthy on the outside, but in fact, was not healthy at all, due to what I was doing to my body daily. Then, I decided to get on the road to recovery, which took a long time, and during that time my mother died suddenly. So, I was faced with depression as well as a bad metabolism from years of abuse. As a result, I gained my weight. If I had never abused my body, I do wonder if I would've remained naturally thin, or just gained weight as a result of age. And in answer to your question about which is the harder journey, I think definitely being large to start with is more difficult. It is tough I think to fight genetics, and having been that way a person's whole life. Hope this answer helps!

MsKitty12345
09-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I was thin until I got into college, and then all of a sudden, I started gaining weight like crazy. Gained 40 pounds in a year. Doctors couldn't figure it out. I buckled down and lost it all and felt great. When I became thin again, I felt like I was entitled to cookies, dessert, whatever. So, I didn't stablize with my diet and gained it all back, plus some.

It's all my fault and I know it. I consider it a lesson learned. It makes me sick to think about, especially as I start back on the diet today. This time, however, I will stick to my lesson and not repeat my mistake.

NightengaleShane
09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Interesting thread!

Ok, I'm not part of the 100 lb club - just the 50 lb club - but I saw this topic on the main page and decided to answer anyway. ;)

It's actually hard to say what I am. I don't even know if I can give a straight answer! I was a very thin child, though puberty hit me with a bang and I became slightly overweight. This caused me to receive an undescribable amount of torment, so I practiced eating disordered behavior for a long time. Then, I stopped practicing that behavior and just lived a very busy life with a hectic schedule that often made me eat less or conveniently "forget" to eat, which kept me thin. After that, I started eating more, but because I was reasonably active AND constantly hyper/made of nervous energy, I stayed thin despite eating a lot. Then, live slowed down, things like stress and depression came back (I was pretty depressed in middle school through 9th grade but then my depression went dormit), and I packed on the pounds quite rapidly.

Normally, to save myself the trouble of explanation, I just consider myself to be a thin person who got fat, since I was thin for 5 years before the weight piled on, but I was mostly thin by unnatural means.

I think I'm meant to be medium/average - you know, the kind of person who is not thin but isn't fat either. By the three body types standard, I'm mostly a mesamorph with some endomorph tendencies (the way I store fat is absolutely brutal and my bone structure is a little above average size but not by much).

kappy
09-12-2007, 01:02 PM
I have always felt bigger than everybody around me. The phrase most often used was "built like a brick" -- in other words, about as wide as I was thick, and no fluff. I still don't really "jiggle". There's nothing soft or squishy about me. Isn't that weird?

As for the magic wand, I'd have to say thanks but can we alter the wish please? I would love to be thinner sooner, but I'd also love to have a recognition, a vision, that keeps up with the current appearance. Because not recognizing that fat person as yourself is horrible. Not recognizing that thin person as yourself is devastating.

dixied
09-12-2007, 01:03 PM
I was very thin until I was 21 and spent several years working odd shifts and partying. Even when I was thin I had weight issues. I used to think I was fat, because my Dad would tease me about my butt being big. When I graduated high school I weighed 103, so I wasn't really fat, but in my mind I was, becuase that's what I heard. I have some pictures from when I was in my early 20s (about 135lbs) and even though I felt fat then, I think that's the size I want to be at goal weight. My ultimate goal now is to just be healthy. Ironically, my Dad died at age 53, at a healthy weight, but of a heart attack because his lifestyle (high fat diet, no exercise) caught up with him.

SuchAPrettyFace
09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
I was 4 pounds, 15 ounces when I was born & very skinny as a young child. The doctor told my mom to let me eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it, just to get weight on me. Well, that worked fine until I got to be about 8. Being a latchkey kid for a few years did not help either as there was no one to tell me not to polish off a whole package of graham crackers with a mug of milk.

So I've been heavy for quite awhile now. I lost weight with Phentermine, but gained it all back & then some when it was pulled off the market.

I'm interested to see what I look like under all this fat. So interested that I'm walking & eating better. :running:

Lifeguard
09-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I was always thin growing up (except for that couple months of chubbiness before the puberty growth - lol!) My grandma used to call me boney-bones. But I put on 60lbs in a year thanks to what we now know was PCOS & depression in my early 20's - been fighting back against that ever since.

I honestly feel that when I'm at a healthy weight again I will not have huge difficulties maintaining that weight, even it happened tomorrow (but alas, I doubt it will - lol!)

hellokitty81668
09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I really don't know if I could answer that, I think about what was I and it brings tears to my eyes. Looking back I think I was a normal child, I was over 5 feet at 10 yrs old and maybe 120-130 lbs, and my mother put me on a
diet of soft boiled eggs and cottage cheese( threw it up at school most days), When I would visit an aunt she would say what a shame,she has such a pretty face, if only she wold loose weight. When I was about 13 , my apt. was broken into, and it affected me alot emotionally and I turned to food, I balloned up to 179 lbs at 5' 6". At 16 , I started exercising and went down to 150 lbs at 5'8", and was happy with that. Then in college when I met my husband , I began gaining, because he can just eat and eat, and wanted me to eat too. Also having the children and being a SAHM, helped alot. Going through alot of personal problems just increased my emotional eating.
So you see I don't know if I was born thin or not.
cheryl

zoritsa
09-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I was thin when I was real little,but by the 7th or 8th grade started gaining weight.By freshman and sophmore years of high school,I was in a size 16(not sure on weight).By junior year I went down to a size 11/12 and 150 lbs....and kept it off for 5 years,until I got pregnant.If I were to be *poofed* thin would I be able to keep it off? Probably not,but I think I would be able to prevent some of it coming back.I'd be able to move ALOT better and would make an effort to not gain it all back.I'm thinking my stomach would have to be *poofed* smaller as well in order to not gain the weight back.

shelby897
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I had about a six year window of thin (18 to about 24) -- when I lived alone -- I was an overweight child with an eating disorder, a thin adult with an eating disorder and am now an overweight adult again, but that lovely old eating disorder has always been consistent!!

I think if the "thin fairy" stopped here at night, I would probably trade here for a tray of cup cakes!! I know I wouldn't keep my thin if she gave it to me because for me, it's not about the food, there are so many things that cause the overeating. Even at my thinnest (145 lbs) I ate horribly, purged/binged, etc.

I do however, have another question to add -- what do you think is worse -- having always been overweight or having been thin once and then gaining? I wonder because I regret SO much having let myself put on 100 lbs but wonder if knowing that I look nice thin and have been there before, so I'm sure I can get there again is better than someone who has really never been there and wonders if they can make it.

pinupdreams
09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
i was always big... :(

Hope20
09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I was a healthy weight my whole life until I got married at 24, my husband has seven sisters and they are all about 5' 8'' and taller and are about 115, and what is worse when they get pregnant they lose more weight. There family is so obsessed with weight and although I never want to be as thin it was just depressing being around my mother in law who would ask "so are you going to really eat that dessert" or "You should join a gym" I thought I was at a healthy weight 150 at 5' 8'' but we moved behind my in laws and being around that all the time I just ate myself into this 235 pound women I see before me in the mirror today. It started when I got pregnant. So I would love the instant "poof" gratification of what the fairy would offer but realistically I don't know if I would maintain it. I think I need to lose this weight by teaching myself how to eat and excersize and take care of myself.

ok, done ranting!

Marseille
09-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I wasn't a fat child, but in high school I can now see that I was a fat bomb waiting to go off. I wasn't overweight because I was extremely busy all the time. I had a million extracurriculars, some atheltic, some academic, but they all kept me out of the fridge and at a healthy weight. I graduated from high school 8 weeks pregnant and it all went downhill from there. Gone suddenly were all the activities that kept me busy, the healthy meals my mom cooked, and every ounce of self restraint I ever had. I started downing soda, my BF and I went out to eat every night because neither of us could cook anything but soup, and my activity level flatlined. Add to that another baby and a messy divorce, you have all the makings of a fat girl. I have packed on 130 pounds in 10 years. Ouch, that hurts to get that in the open! Here's to a new life!

Fooled
09-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I've always been overweight, and I never remember being in a size smaller than a 14 when I was younger. I gained a lot of weight in college. My sophomore year I went on the south beach diet and lost enough so that people were noticing and I went down a size in most cases in clothes, but I wouldn't weigh myself. Then in my junior year I did a semester abroad in England, so not only was I dealing with the less than ideal cafeteria food diet, there was also some food that I wasn't as used to, so a lot of times I'd go for the familiar fatty food. Then that summer, I had an office job, and most days I'd go for fast food for lunch. Last summer I read French Women Don't Get Fat and I lost eight pounds that way and through exercise, but gained five of it back once the semester started.

I don't know if I would take the magic wand, even if the temptation would be mighty strong. This time around I'm realizing more and more that I'm learning a lot through this journey and it is changing me a lot more than just in physical ways, and I'm a bit afraid of missing out on what else I'd benefit from than I would if all the weight were off tomorrow.

Schmoodle
09-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I was a normal sized kid until about 8 years old. I loved to read and wasn't a really active kid. I also think it's a family thing, not everyone is heavy but there are a few really heavy people, and I've watched a couple of the nieces and nephews go through it. Seems like we hit puberty and start wanting to eat and eat!
Anyway, I gained a lot of weight in middle school (tough), thinned out some in high school, although I still thought I was really fat, looking back at pictures, I think I looked great!
Once kids started coming, got back to normal after the first, and then started gaining once she was weaned and it's been pretty much constant slow gain since then. I don't really remember how it feels to be normal sized, that was almost 20 years ago.
If that fairy came by here, I'd definitely take her up on it! I might or might not have the tools to keep it, but I'd fight like **** to hold on to it.

anajjana
09-12-2007, 02:06 PM
I've been slightly overweight my enitre life but just recently got over 200lbs about 4yrs ago.

When I went to college in the Fall of 2002 I lost A LOT of weight and got down to the smallest I've ever been which was 156. Stayed there only a few months and have been trying to get back since.

I think there is a HUGE difference in someone who used to be smaller and someone who has been big all their life. Us who used to be smaller that what we are now are just trying to get back to what we know, whereas someone who has never been there is trying to be like someone they have seen.

They don't know what it feels like be "thin." It's kinda of like "been there, done that" and I was great and want to do it again!!!

PeggyP
09-12-2007, 02:10 PM
My dad always told me that I looked like a football when I was born...so I believe I've always been round!
I wasn't obese as a child, but very chubby. I didn't like to participate in sports, as I wasn't very good at it. (Later they found out it was because I was legally blind!! No peripheral vision...)No wonder I wasn't good at kickball! ;)
Anyway, as I look back, I always thought I was SO fat. I'm 5'7" and was around 160. I'd LOVE to be that weight now! Right before I met my husband I lost 15 lbs and was 145. People thought I was too thin, then. After marriage and 2 children, I steadily gained 100 lbs over 20 yrs. I've lost some and gained it until I was 249. I'm ready now to take it off for the last time. As for the magic wand, I would hope I could keep it off. I've learned the reasons WHY I ate what I did, and know that those are not good enough reasons to make the choices I did. Being bored is not a good enough reason to slowly kill yourself. I think you have to hit bottom, like an addict to change your unhealthy way of life to a healthy one. I've hit the bottom and am slowly climbing my way back up!!
Also, I believe that people who were once obese and lost the weight have more empathy and compassion than people who never have struggled with weight issues. If that's a plus, I guess it makes the struggle a LITTLE more worth it!!

Oh, as a quick side line to ChristyDM:
Please don't worry what people will think of you when they find out how much you once weighed. I think most people (including myself) would admire you and think how strong you are for accomplishing such a difficult thing!! You're doing a great job!!! Keep it up!!

royalsfan1
09-12-2007, 03:11 PM
I was not fat but I was bigger than a lot of girls. I wore double digit clothing in Jr. High. I remember buying size 11 in 9th grade...went up to sz 14 by the time I graduated. So, no, I wasn't fat...but when your classmates are mostly size 5s and 7s you feel like a mammoth!

At this point in my weight loss I've learned a TON about losing and maintaining. I know what to do, how to do it, how it feels, and that I'm able. So, my learning is pretty far along and now I'm just waiting for my body to catch up and be then. Therefore, if that fairy came today, I would be able to maintain. 6 months ago...I'd have turned fat again. I think it all depends on where we are in this whole process.

JAYAGODDESS
09-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey all !! Well I would say that most of my life I was very thin. When got pregnant with my first child I bounced right back into my pants, but before I knew it I was pregnant again with my second child. After my second child I slowly started to get back to my size and maintained it for maybe about a year. I think what happened was I was so focused on my kids into all their needs I forgot about myself. We moms tend to do that. Kids come first we come second..but I didnt even make myself second. So the weight just kept gradually packing on. So I have been overweight for like 5 to 6 years now. I guess something told me hey you are not getting any younger you need to be healthy for your kids. My son is the oldest and he actually is over weight and just started going to the gym....he started gaining weight when he was I would say about 10 years old. He is now 16 years old. My daughter she is just your average teenager who is not too skinny and not overweight, just right. So I am in the process of getting healthy for me, and for my kids. :):)

kaplods
09-12-2007, 03:46 PM
I've been very overweight since age 5. I remember being bribed with pet turtles in kindergarten to lose 8 lbs. I lost 4 lbs, and had 4 to go when the kindergarten class's turtles were removed because they were no longer legally allowed as pets or in children's classrooms because of the salmonella risk. I remember that my parents tried to change the bribe to something else, but I would have none of it (maybe if they had trumped it up to puppy or pony).

I remember having a "treat" jar at home, which I could dip into for one treat on Saturday. Meanwhile my skinny brother got to eat snacks whenever he wanted to, and if I wanted a snack, I had to eat cauliflower with orange "butter-flavored" salt on it which Weight Watchers (my mother was also dieting) called a substitute for popcorn (yeah, just cause it looks like it, doesn't make it so).

I think early dieting made me food-obsessed and food-addicted. I also suspect there may be some genetic component. My brother and I are adopted (seperately, we're not biologically related) and my parents had two biological children when we were in highschool. My sisters have followed the patterns of our parents. One being thin in childhood and gaining in late 20's (like mom) and another being thin, but extremely active, tending to gain weight only if slacking off of exercise (like Dad). My brother has been down right skinny in early childhood, normal weight all of his adult weight, and extremely athletic (in the navy, he passed the navy seals physical training, but not the vision screening). He's only now started to put on a little weight since he's retired, but he still is very fit, no spare tire, just the barest hint of love handles.

Probably what I attribute morbid obesity to, is having always considered dieting something that was supposed to be punishingly restrictive and temporary. Even though I realized fairly early on that losing weight required maintenance, I just assumed I should eat almost nothing until I was at my goal weight, and then start adding back foods until I found my maintenance level. The problem with this theory was I never made it to maintenance, because I cut my calories too low, binged too often, and gave up out of frustration and starvation.

I think the study of weight loss is still in it's infancy. Different approaches work for different people. Right now, I'm not sure we know much about why some approaches work for some and not others. It's pretty much trial and error, until you find or develop a program that works for you. Even the research seems to be focused on "what works" (i.e. for everyone) not on finding the right approach for different situations. Maybe there is a different approach needed for the "always fat" than the "got fat." Maybe there are different approaches for "young fat" and "old fat" or "man fat" and "woman fat" or maybe there are unique personality factors that make some approaches better for some people. Until we know more about what is likely to work best for an individual, there's only trial and error. Some may catch on fast, and only have to make one diet attempt before they get to and maintain their ideal weight, others may take 40 years to learn.

NickiB68
09-12-2007, 03:50 PM
I was 'normal' sized as a child. Not rail thin, but not overweight. I was active too...I rode my bicycle everywhere! I remember buying size 10's at 13 years old, mostly for my height. I was the tallest in my 6th grade class too! By 18 I was a size 14. Size 16 by 22, less activity and more fried food!
So I guess I was a thin person that became a fat one! lol As for the fairy...bring her on! lol I believe I have learned enough to maintain a healthy weight!

Cassie501107
09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
I've always been fat. :p

GirlyGirlSebas
09-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I was thin until the age of 9 when puberty started to hit. I was just a bit chubby until the age of 26 when I got out of the Air Force. Then my weight shot up to 180 and stayed there until 2004 when my Mom got sick with cancer. I remember getting on the scales during the time I was helping hospice to care for her in December and my weight was 190. By October 05 when I had my hysterectomy, I was up to 222. By November 06, I was up to 264. I gained a total of 32 pounds in just under a year and a total of 74 pounds in 2 years. My doctor said I had adrenal fatigue and insulin resistance. I know that I used to drop weight quickly. Now, I must fight for every single pound I lose. Would I gain the weight back if I was instantly slender today? I really don't think I would. I'd look on that gift as a truly awesome miracle and I'd treasure it with all my heart.

wanna b thin
09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I've always been overweight, in elementry school there was only 1 girl larger than me. By 10 or 12 my mother had me at the doctor's for diet pills. By high school I was wear 16/18, and was a little larger then that when I got married. By 25 I had three kids and weighed about 260. I've been up and down 40-70 pounds a half dozen times since then.

If I could suddenly be thin, I think, I hope, at this point I could keep it off, but I've been on this weight loss journey for 18 months. If you had suddenly made me thin this time last year I'm sure I would have gained it back. I believe the slow loss over the last year is becoming a life style instead of a diet, so I hope I am at a point that I could keep it off.

Mrs Quadcrew
09-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I was a "regular" size kid, very active when I was young. I was a 10/12 till my early to mid 20s - then I started gaining. Now I am 47, and I have been overweright/obese for over 20 years. I wish I could blame it on my metabolism, or heredity, or something, but I can't. It is because I ate too much, and I moved too little. Period. Now that I have given myself the gift of knowing how to take care of my body, and eat properly I am dropping the weight with really very little effort. I am not sure I would really "appreciate" it if I was magically thin one day. Doing it this way, I know how to keep it off!:D

JustSharing83
09-12-2007, 05:04 PM
I have always been fat. I started gaining significant amounts of weight in 1st grade and it was a steady incline until high school where I started maintaining.

NotTheCheat
09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I have also always been overweight. I have a postcard that I wrote home from girl scout camp at probably the age of 8 telling my mother she would be proud of me because I wasn't choosing the sugar cereals.

If I could suddenly be thin? I have no idea. I think I would be totally in shock. Now having been on this journey for so long I think I could probably keep it off, but I don't think I could have when I started.

Lyn2007
09-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I was a skinny little kid, got a little meat on me when I hit puberty at 12 but heck I was far from fat. I got teased a little until I was like 15 and got taller but not heavier. I was 140 pounds 5'7 through high school and college and through marriage and having my first baby (lost all the baby weight without even trying... right back to 140).

I got preg with my second child and was so thrilled. I was about 160 pounds and 4 months pregnant when my unborn baby died. I was so stricken with greif for a good solid year. I never in all these years have lost that "baby weight". I was about 165 and remember my father in law telling me I was a fat cow. I wanted to scream "I JUST LOST MY BABY" but I didn't.

I went up and down between 165 and 200 pounds for about 6 years and had 3 more children. Then ballooned up from 165 to 245 in LESS than a year (emotional stress/divorce). That was 10 years ago. This fall I weighed 278. I am done being fat. I want my body back.

Lyn
SIXTEEN pounds gone!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com

CLCSC145
09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Your question is interesting, because I think there is a difference between how you imagine yourself - see yourself in your brain - and what you actually look like. Though I've been overweight since age 12/13, and obese since my junior year of college (with one journey into normal weight range at 29), I don't imagine myself as a fat person. I feel like a thin person carrying a lot of fat right now. A thin person with a terrribly unhealthy habit of misusing food. A thin person who gained weight because of other problems, not someone who was born to be fat. I don't blame genetics at all for my issues. I was fully conscious of my actions that got me here.

That said, I really identify with what Robin41 said. Being 6 feet tall by my freshman year of high school and slightly overweight, I felt ENORMOUS and like a freak of nature around my short/thin friends, even though I really wasn't. I ate to soothe my insecurity, which only made me larger and more insecure. And so on and so on until I reached 316. It still doesn't seem real to me that I got that big.

Oh, and I'd take the fat fairy's waving wand any day.

MarinePrincess
09-12-2007, 11:37 PM
I've been big all my life. I was born by c-section, a ten pound baby. Parents wouldn't let me leave the table until my plate was clean, full or not. And I watched a LOT of TV. So yeah...I was built this way, lol. I remember being 12 and wearing a 12. I was a size 14 (190 lbs.) all through high school. I gained weight after high school. Then I put on almost a hundred pounds more when DH and I moved out here.

I think if the fairy came along and waved her wand (omg, I wish!), I'd be able to maintain it. I'd have to keep exercising and shopping/cooking healthy, which has become a habit for me, so hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult. But I would have to remain conscious of everything I put in my mouth for the rest of my life.

rakel
09-13-2007, 01:03 AM
I've pretty much always been fat. If the weight loss fairy came to my door I would be ecstatic and do what I could to make sure I didn't gain all my weight back. But of course that isn't happening, so back to hard work I go!

Idealmuse
09-13-2007, 01:19 AM
I'll go with always... In High school my smallest size was a 14 and I went all the way upto an 18. Doesn't seem huge in retrospect, but I was always larger then most people. I have a large frame too so I've never been "thin" but most of high school I was mearly overweight and regular obese on the low end. Started college at 220 (which BTW is my adult "Lowest weight") By the time I got married at 21 I was already 240.

So yeah I don't know what "thin" is. Looking back I was so unhappy to be in the 150-160 range but now... it's my goal weight. heh. I wish I could have appricated how cute I was back then but I felt huge.

By the time I'm 35 I will see below 199. IT WILL HAPPEN. 7 minus 15 months.

Gale02
09-13-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm one who got fat. I moved from my parents' house into my cousin's house when I was 15. At that time I weighed around 130 and was a size 4-5. They immediately put me on a diet (I've asked and no one can come up with the reason behind that decision). I think that was the beginning of the end for me. Before that day, I never thought I was fat. All of the sudden I was put on a diet and I remember consciously thinking "Well, if I'm fat I might as well act fat" and started eating and eating and eating. That's what fat people do, right? (said my 15 year old brain.) I put on 50 lbs in 2 years. Once my cousin got sick of that diet and we went off, she started using food as comfort. I'd have a bad day - "oh, have a cookie, what the heck... have a dozen cookies!" So I started having an emotional relationship with food. It became comfort, relaxation, a way to deal with the stresses of life. Or, effectively not deal with them.

I got engaged at 17, married at 18 and maintained my weight (183) for about 6 months. DH and I started having some problems (mostly normal, newlywed problems) and since food was already an emotion blocker for me, I started eating constantly again. We got over our rough patch but I was so in the habit of eating everything all the time that I just didn't stop. I put on 80 lbs in 5 years.

Looking at my family and at the way I was growing up, my body is definitely thin(ner). I've always been very curvy, even now my waist is exactly 10 inches smaller than my hips and bust. When I was at my ideal weight (around 145-150 or so) my measurements were 38-27-38. So, I've never been text book skinny. But, I love my shape and wouldn't trade it for anything. I know though that it's naturally smaller than it is. :) I got fat by eating... too much, too often and all the wrong things, plain and simple.

KforKitty
09-13-2007, 07:10 AM
I
I do however, have another question to add -- what do you think is worse -- having always been overweight or having been thin once and then gaining? I wonder because I regret SO much having let myself put on 100 lbs but wonder if knowing that I look nice thin and have been there before, so I'm sure I can get there again is better than someone who has really never been there and wonders if they can make it.

I'm the latter person you describe. I was an overweight child, an overweight teen and obese adult. I've never been less than about 155 as an adult so have never seen a 'thin' me. I've lost and gained several lots of 50-60lbs before. Even now when I'm doing so well I have a little voice in the back of my mind that tells me that I will never get there. I try to ignore it but I do wonder if I can make it. BTW, I'm 43 so I also think if I was meant to do it why haven't I before now.

Kitty

lilybelle
09-13-2007, 11:25 AM
During elementary school I was made fun of for being terribly skinny. I maintained a "normal" weight through high school. 5'7 and 135 lbs. Was very athletic. I started packing on the lbs. when I went away to college and learned the evils of a total junk food diet, late night studying and sitting on my butt.

As for the fairy wand question if someone had asked me when I started this journey at 234 lbs., I'd have jumped at the chance for my weight to magically disappear. Now, I'd say "no way". I've learned so much and faced my demons and it was MY journey to achieve. No one else could do it for me.

gina1221
09-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I have always been overweight, at least since I was about 4 years old. There are pictures of me before 4 years and I was a normal weight toddler... what in the world could happen at 4 years old... I have no idea.

I can remember the sitter in preschool giving out handfuls of Honeycomb cereal but I would only get one piece.

In 9th grade I weighed 200 pounds.

When I was in my mid-twenties, I got down to 161 from 249 with the help of phen-fen but I was only eating 300 - 800 calories a day (no, really!)... my hair was falling out, I would get dizzy when standing up... and I was under the care of a cardiologist. Today, I can't imagine a dr would recommend an 800 calorie diet and then cut you loose when you reached goal. Of course, I couldn't maintain that and went back up to 196.

Yo-yo dieted (I really have tried them all) for the next 10 years. I was 178 when I met my DH in Aug 2001. I was 268 when we married in Oct 2004.... nearly 100 pounds in 3 years!! And then another 46 pounds in 2.5 years!

I woke up one day (June 30, 2007 to be exact - a Saturday, previously I would never start a diet on a Saturday, no I'd have waiting for Sunday or Monday or the first of the month, etc., etc. - but not this time) and decided I wanted something more for my life and I would start by getting healthy... and here I am.

I know that I have a lot to learn and many demons to face so that fairy can keep her wand tucked away - I have to do this one on my own.

Wow... sorry for the long post. :o

ShyCammie
09-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I was healthy & slender most of my life. I graduated HS at 150lbs. In college I ate an order of fries, an order of onion rings, and washed it down with a chocolate shake and didn't gain weight. I wore bikinis and could put my hand around my pelvic bone in my waist. I did still have wide hips causing me to wear size 12 pants that were SO lose around my 24 in waist that I always had to wear a belt. None of that kept me from feeling "big" because I'm over 5'10" and my thighs rubbed together (well that's genetics!).

In my late 20s I gained some weight then lost...I settled at 165 lbs. I had a better figure (and bigger boobs) at 165. I looked and felt great except for the thighs rubbing together.

I maintained my weight quite nicely until I turned 32. Between PCOS, several bouts of depression, and some horrible job circumstances, I gained 30 lbs in one year despite limiting myself to 800-1200 calories per day and upping my exercise. Over the years, circumstances and my own denial have made things worse.

I think one of the hardest things was to look in a mirror and see what other people saw. I always saw the skinny me. I didn't see the weight the way a stranger would. It's taken a lot to see things differently.

So here I sit, 40 something and working on getting back to my "old self."

Thanks for asking the question.

AuntChuChu
09-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I was always thin until in my thirties when my divorce (a bad one) caused depression, loss of esteem, and other problems--then 100 # just jumped on my body and I can't get it off. I almost lost it one time 20 years ago, but since then it's been a seesaw (up and down) never down enough. Now in my 60s it is so hard to lose since my back and knees limit exercise and I find it hard to be strict with myself. I love pretty clothes and would love to lose 100#, help.

grneyedmustang
09-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I've always been a big girl. Not always fat, but "solid", "stocky", "thick", whatever.

The least I ever remember weighing once I reached adult height was 160. I weighed 190 in the 8th grade (at 5' 9") and I had decided one day that I was tired of being fat and that I would play basketball to help me lose weight (plus, I was tired of everyone asking why I didn't play basketball). I would go outside every night and run - I started at 8 minutes and made it to 15 minutes before tryouts. After making the team, it was pretty much mandatory that I worked out (basketball practice) every day. I played basketball for 2 years in high school. As soon as I stopped playing, I started putting the weight back on.

After my basketball days were over, there were at least 2 to 3 other periods where I made up my mind and started working out and losing weight; however, I have never been "skinny" - the smallest size I've dropped to was a 12.

If I were to be skinny overnight, I'd probably put it back on, eventually. The only way I don't put the weight back on is to work out constantly along with watching my diet - both of which are a constant struggle. I'll do good for a while, and then something happens and I fall "off plan".

Pita09
09-18-2007, 11:12 PM
When I was 12, I spent a summer with my obese grandma and my aunt. When I came home the first words out of my dad's mouth were, "Wow, you are fat just like the rest of them now!" Obesity ran rampant on my mom's side of the family. So, I began a journey of believing myself to be huge long before I actually was.

If I get this weight I will NEVER put it back on!!!

kaplods
09-18-2007, 11:15 PM
You know it just struck me that the title of this thread is thin people who got fat vs fat people. "fat people" not "people who have always been fat" or "people who were fat since childhood."

That makes it seem like people who once were thin, are somehow not "really" fat people. I think I'm almost offended (as a legitimately fat person? being fat since age 5). Also, where do you fit in if you were fat, got thin or at least normal size (even if only for 5 minutes) and then got fat again?

One thing that strikes me as to the question of "which is harder," is that it is absolutely an unfair question and impossible to determine, as no one can experience it both ways in order to compare. Whichever you choose as "easier" either portrays you as pompous or self-pitying.

I do think it is an interesting question, as to whether there are differences. Are there different diet and exercise strategies that work better for one group over another? Are there more differences than similarities, or the other way 'round? Is making a distinction helpful or hurtful? Hmmm, interesting.

srqmomof2
09-19-2007, 01:44 AM
My thing is that I always thought of myself as fat. My family is very thin. My sister and my mom were always bony thin and I was average, but they used to make fun of me because compared to them I was fat...actually, compared to them Nicole Ritchie looks fat!. Anyway, I always saw myself as a really fat girl, so when I had my kids and really gained weight it didn't shock me as much. Now I look at my pics from when I was a kid and I realize how pretty i was! I was a size 4-5 when I got married, and I actually thought then that I was at my heaviest...I guess the nickname "piggy" didn't help LOL.

rakel
09-19-2007, 01:59 AM
I know what you guys mean -- I assumed the fat role early on. Everyone in my family was always talking about it, and I feel like one thing led to another. Looking back in HS I was around 170 or 180 when I started, and by my senior year I got up to 245... then AFTER high school, I really started getting up there, until last year around this time I was getting to and arrived to 300+. If I only realized when I was a freshman that I wasn't *that* fat and if I worked at it I could get down to the "normal" category instead of throwing myself a pity party. AH WELL, the past is the past! Now I'm on a journey to get back where I started when I was 12 - 15 years old -- somewhere between 132 and 170! I was around 132 in jr high, and in 10 years, I gained 176lbs... AKA a grown man. I can hardly believe it myself... HOLY COW!

JellyBelly1908
09-19-2007, 03:11 AM
I thought I was fat when I was a kid and in high school because I was told so by family members. (Nevermind that I had a cute cheerleader body as a result of our strenuous workout regimen...I was still fat to my family and myself.) Soooo when I started gaining weight, I didn't see a change in the mirror b/c I already thought I looked like that. It took me looking at a current picture of myself versus high school/junior high school pics to realize that I wasn't.

My goal weight now is my old weight (135 lb). The weight where I was considered *fat* initially. :lol:

CharlottesMum
09-19-2007, 07:55 AM
I have been fat since late primary school which was about the age of 11/12 and im currently 23 so a good chunk of my life has been spent overweight then obese :(

Marianna
09-19-2007, 08:57 AM
I was a healthy regular sized kid and teenager. But now I realise that I had food behaviours that weren't healthy from an early age. The bulk of my weight gain has coincided with some health problems and depression in my mid 20's till now.

As for the fairy... on some days I am desperate to wake up thin... but for the most part I am getting ok with just being me! For the first time in my life, my weight is just that, my weight. I don't see it as a bundle for every other problem, nor do I see it as a core aspect of my self and who I am. It is just a descriptor for my physical mass. So while it would be tempting, I feel there is still much to learn and I am ok in the process of it all

Marianna
09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Also, reading through this thread, it really strikes me about the pain that the members have experienced at the comments from family and friends as children and young adults.. such a source of pain! Very sad isn't it?

See Spot Shrink
09-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Thin person who got fat here...and I think that one of the reasons it's taken me so long to get serious about losing the weight is that I still carry that thin "picture" of myself in my head and was in denial for years. It's still hard sometimes to wrap my head around the fact that I've gained 133 lbs.!:o

One of the worst things about gaining the weight is that family and friends take it so personally, like it's some big tragedy on a global scale. I get a lot of the, "You used to have such a great figure but, er, you're, ah, still, uh, pretty though!" from people. I want to say, "Yeah, isn't it amazing what they can do with reconstructive surgery these days?!" :devil: I got fat people, I didn't turn into Quasimodo. Sheesh!

JellyBelly1908
09-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Also, reading through this thread, it really strikes me about the pain that the members have experienced at the comments from family and friends as children and young adults.. such a source of pain! Very sad isn't it?

It is. As a kid, I often wondered why the kids at school didn't make fun of me like they made fun of the "other" fat kids. Turns out, I wasn't fat to anyone outside of my family or even according to the BMI. :shrug:

Family can be worse than friends/associates much of the time...

Eves
09-19-2007, 05:48 PM
I don`t think this question is meant to offend anyone, I think the poster (now 4 pages back) wanted to see the different attitudes towards fat and taking it off.

For example, my Mom is skinny. Always been skinny, but about 5 years ago she gained about 20 pounds. She`s 5´6 and went from 125 to almost 150. Her view was that she was grotesque, offensive to the eyes, and became depressed. I`m two inches shorter and was more than 200 pounds at the time, she never ever ever made me feel like if I was anything less than a beautiful person.

My goal weight at the moment is the same weight she was when she said she was "disgustingly obese". There is a different attitude there towards fat, her fat, and my fat. And these different attitudes played out in the way we lost weight. She did it out of shame, and has kept it off. I started out as a challenge and now I am going for health. We`ll see how I do.

In any case, I haven`t put my mad anthropological skills to use in this thread, but from what I have read I see different attitudes towards our fat, how we got fat, what made us want to take it off, and how we are losing. I see this thread as an interesting exercise in getting out our inner fat demons, and seeing how we have the same or different feelings about our fat. Is it easier or harder? We won`t know that from this thread, but I don`t think the exploration of that question should be supressed.

kaplods
09-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I thought I was being clear in posting that I wasn't questioning the appropriateness of the question, or the original poster's intent (or that of any poster that followed). You'll notice I even posted to the thread with my own experiences earlier. If I had been truly offended, I would have said so, and not with the ambiguous "I think I'm almost offended."

I just noticed that the way it was phrased, implied something that I found disturbing, that if you were once thin, that you don't legitimately have to own the title "fat person." I don't think the original poster meant it this way, but it says what it says, and implies what it implies. What surprised (and actually offended) me was my initial reaction. I didn't even notice or blink at the way it was stated. It must be so natural to assume, that I didn't even question the way it was phrased, therefore, I on some level, must believe that I am a "fat person", in a way that a person who got fat as an adult is not. That they somehow can still lay claim to that thin person label. -- As in I'm not REALLY a fat person, because I was thin until age __?

In graduate school, I was fascinated with psycholinguistics, and learned that there are no true synonyms. Each word in every language has a distinct and seperate meaning from each other. Even when the denotation (objective meaning) is the same, the connotation (subjective or emotional meaning) is at least slightly different. Maiden and spinster have the same denotation, but very different connotations. Word choice matters, and says something.

My point was that saying "fat person" and meaning someone who has always been fat, to distinguish them from (a not fat person?) who was thin and is now fat, is an odd way of phrasing and thinking about this. It wasn't meant as a conversation stopper, but just part of the flow of the conversation.

Consider if the conversation had been titled "beautiful people who became ugly, vs ugly people," to discuss people who became disfigured vs people who have always been disfigured.

That's a crappy comparison in a lot of ways, even though to many people thin and beautiful are synonomous. As are to even more people, fat and ugly.

My point was, isn't it interesting that none of us questioned this distinction earlier. Is it because we, at least in part, believe it?

srqmomof2
09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I thought I was fat when I was a kid and in high school because I was told so by family members. (Nevermind that I had a cute cheerleader body as a result of our strenuous workout regimen...I was still fat to my family and myself.) Soooo when I started gaining weight, I didn't see a change in the mirror b/c I already thought I looked like that. It took me looking at a current picture of myself versus high school/junior high school pics to realize that I wasn't.

My goal weight now is my old weight (135 lb). The weight where I was considered *fat* initially. :lol:

You and I are on the same boat! I'm trying to get to 120, my "fat" pre-marriage weight! go figure, right?:dizzy:

lendingheart
09-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Im going to write this out mainly for myself.... where have i been fat and thin?
Ok im 30 years old now... from the begining:

Birth - 14years old I was a healthy weight for myself. By 14 i was already 5'6" like now
14 - 16 i started gaining, i got up to where i am now 176
between 16-17 years old i lost it all back down to 130
17-22years old, started dating my now hubby, got married, at 22 got pregnant, started at 130 at 17, the day i found out i was pregenat i was 180
My sons birthday: 22 years old, before giving birth i was 215
4 weeks after birth i lost it all back down to 180.
From 22-30... i gained up to 232, went up and down all the time, but never below 200.

ON my 30th birthday i was sick.... sick of not wanting to look in the mirror, sick of not having the engery to play with my now 8 year old, not feeling sexy or pretty for my hubby.... I always said in my younger years that i thought women in their 30s were the prettiest. They didnt gob on make up, they dressed sensably, and seemsed to know what they wanted in life. I always wanted that..... but when i turned 30, i was hiding in my clothes, ashamed to be seen by old friends, the list goes on.

I still have aways to go.... i was at this weight in high school when i lost it before.... so i know i can do it again... and with a great blessed family to live for.... i will keep it off!

RaffaellaBella
09-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi. My name is Raffaella and I'm new here to the 100club. I was never a fat child or teenager. I gained 10lbs in the 8th grade and by the time I was 19 I had gained a total of 30lbs. I would give my front eye teeth for those 30lbs back!

I went on a diet and lost the weight but gained it two years later. I proceeded to gain and lose over the past 16 years till I reached 335. I'm now losing again but this time it is different. I'm doing it for health not vanity and am constantly keeping my focus on my health and not the pretty clothes I'm going to be wearing. I'm diabetic so I have no other chose. Its this or die. Well maybe not die, but get very sick.

shelby897
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
See Spot Shrink :) I'm a little behind on reading, sorry -- I'm the same way -- I have my thin picture in my safe, like some precious jewel, terrified I may never get another one!! And I always "apologize" when I discuss my weight with anyone, feeling the need to tell them "10 years ago I weighed 100 lbs less" -- like if they can visualize my body looking 100x better, I will feel better. I don't think it's a big difference how you gained the weight -- from birth on up or over the last 5 years -- it's still a struggle to "unload the load"!!! I'm just so disappointed in myself that I let it get this bad, but that's in the past and all I can do now is make the effort to get it off and get some new "skinny" pictures!!!

LaurieDawn
09-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Hi. My name is Raffaella and I'm new here to the 100club. I was never a fat child or teenager. I gained 10lbs in the 8th grade and by the time I was 19 I had gained a total of 30lbs. I would give my front eye teeth for those 30lbs back!

I went on a diet and lost the weight but gained it two years later. I proceeded to gain and lose over the past 16 years till I reached 335. I'm now losing again but this time it is different. I'm doing it for health not vanity and am constantly keeping my focus on my health and not the pretty clothes I'm going to be wearing. I'm diabetic so I have no other chose. Its this or die. Well maybe not die, but get very sick.

Welcome, Raffaella! It's good to have you join us! It looks like you are well on your way to health. 65 pounds is really amazing! It will be wonderful to learn from you and watch you as you continue on your journey.