Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #1  
Jonniemn

S/C/G: 265/254/220

Height: 6'6"

Default How much is too much?

I end up counting calories with a heart rate monitor, both cardio and what I’m doing for weight training. But do I end up doing too much some days? I ride my bike to work, then might do weight training (ride to and from the gym too) and it will sometimes go up to almost 2000. I’ve done a little more than that on the weekends when I’m feeling motivated (or I’ve had too much caffeine).

If I’m sticking to about 2000 calories per day, can I burn 2400 calories? Or is it being counterproductive?
JonnieMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Just to clarify, when you ask, "...can I burn 2400 calories?", are you asking if that's possible, or if you should be burning that many? Are you saying you actually burn that many calories per day between exercise and your matabolism, or through exercise alone? If the latter is true, I am just a little blown away, and you put my exercise routine to shame!
As long as you create a calorie deficit through consuming fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. In order to not be too extreme, you might shoot for dropping 1 - 2 pounds per week (a 1-lb. loss after one week is achieved by creating a daily deficit of 500 calories). Given the numbers you've shared, you are eating 400 fewer calories per day than you burn, which totals 2800 calories per week; one pound equals 3500 calories, so you can adjust accordingly. Does this help answer your q?

Last edited by fatburner77; 09-11-2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #3  
Jonniemn

S/C/G: 265/254/220

Height: 6'6"

It’s happened once or twice if I take the word of my heart rate monitor. Biking to work can log anywhere from 750 to 950 calories (depending on the wind), then a workout on my own and a group workout later. Once I spent 3 or 4 hours on the bike riding trails in the area, so it has happened on exercise alone.

My question is, if I do burn too many does my body horde the calories from the food that I eat making the exercise work against me in weight loss. I have a couple of weeks off and with no plans, there is no reason not to spend time checking out some of the trails I haven’t hit yet. I do the couch potato thing w/ a book, but I’ve tried it on a recumbent bike for a change. I can’t do it for hours at a time, but an hour or so can push up the calorie count.
JonnieMN is offline   Reply With Quote