Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Video Game Q's ( like DDR )

Even though winter is a ways off, I don't like walking outside because of ice. I know some people have had success with Dance Dance Revolution and similar games.

The questions/curiosities I have: is DDR only available for sony playstation 2 or x box 360? I don't play video games that much so I don't want to invest a lot in a console for only one game.

Doesn't the Nintendo Wii have more physically interactive games?

The whole concept of Dance Dance Revolution seems like a lot of fun and a great addition to my work out plan.
Right now I do weight watchers with walking, dvd's, weight lifting and the stability ball.

Any light that can be shed would be greatly appreciated. I'm also aware that amazon.com probably has a lot of what i want for cheaper, but it's always good to hear from someone who has it or has experienced it..you know, the testimonial and all.

Thanks everyone.

OG
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #2  
You'll see what u missed.

S/C/G: 228/219/150

Height: 5'1

I love DDR. I never tried losing weight with it.. I just play it. I believe you can buy one that hooks directly into your TV. I have DDR Universe for Xbox 360. Plus it is fun for the whole family... me and my 30 yr brother frequently play it and last night I even got my mom on it. So much fun. If you have any more questions PM me.
ValentineBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #3  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 245/230.8/135

Height: 5'4"

If your looking for something like DDR that is affordable, they do sell a DVD based game that is around $30.00. The nice thing about the XBOX version is you that there is a workout setting that allows you to set it up for a certain amount of time. It is great fun and definitely works up a sweat. The Wii has a game called Wii Fit that hasn't come out yet, and a game called Boogie that will enable you to creat a character to dance and sing. It all depends what you enjoy.

I am mainly an xbox 360 and wii player so I can't vouch for the services offered by Playstation.

Good Luck!

C.
MissyCrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #4  
You'll see what u missed.

S/C/G: 228/219/150

Height: 5'1

go to DDRDancing.com, then under 'TV Dance Pad and Game' they have the DDR for your TV for 29.99. The only downfall I see with this one is you can only have one player at a time.
ValentineBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #5  

If you want the console that has the most available games, get the PS2 (or I guess the PS3 plays all of the PS2 games, but the PS2 console is cheaper.)

I'm not a video game person, either, and was ONLY getting a console for the sole purpose of playing DDR. PS2 has the most ddr games. You can probably get a new PS2 console for around $129, and gently used for less than that at places like GameStop.

There's also another 'physical' game for ps2 called Kinetic. Very fun.

Be careful about the plug-n-play games, I've heard the music isn't very good, and I'm not sure of the training options, which are important to helping you get better. As you become more fit, you'll need to play at higher levels, but the ability to play at higher levels is a matter of playing some of the songs in traninig mode to learn the tricker foot patterns.

Last edited by Mini-Me; 09-11-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #6  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Finally a question that I can answer as an "expert". We currently have PS2s (2), XBox360, Wii, and a PS3.

You can buy 'dancemats" for almost every console. For example, we have one that worked on the Nintendo Gamecube and still works on the Wii. The Wii itself can be quite physical. I personally love the sports games that came with the Wii. The boxing part of the game is the hardest (game) workout I've ever done.

That said, a cheaper route would be to buy a used PS2 and an Eyetoy. The Eyetoy plugs into the USB port on the PS2 and the games make you move your whole body. I've been looking for a used Knietic game, but I haven't been able to find one.

I don't have an opinion on the plug n play version of DDR, however I bought my stepson the mini golf plug n play game and it's okay, but not exactly a workout.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 140/127/115

Height: 5'4"

I agree if you don't already own any consoles get the PS2, especially if you don't plan on becoming a gamer and if you do the PS2 does have the most games. And even with the Xbox360 price cut the PS2 is still cheaper. I got mine about 2 years ago for under $150.
ButterflyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #8  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

I bought an EYE TOY with a Kinetic work out DVD.. This eye toy turns your console into a Wii. You are on the TV doing the movements and its a total blast!! I cant believe they didnt market this better... its PS systems best kept secret.

Last edited by sweetnsassyfied; 09-12-2007 at 06:13 AM.
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote