Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Newbie

Howdy Y'all,

Yes Im from the south.

I started working out at the gym a month ago and I thought I would check out the lifting board. Im currently 213 and have a ton of excess skin (Used to weigh 297). I do the circuit training at the gym and instead of doing one set (15-20 reps) and sitting on the machine I jump to another machine to knock out a different part of the body and come back to the original machine. I heard that the resting between sets isnt very good since you need to keep your heart rate up. So Im currently doing 2 sets of 15-20 reps, the 1st set I try to do enough weight so that the last few reps Im struggling then when I come back for the 2nd set I lower the weight.

Now I have alot of problem areas-Ugly tummy fat, very jiggly thighs, horrible saddlebags, that roll of fatback and flabby arms. Im sort of limited on what I can do for my abs since I have a compressed spine from an old car accident. I also can do a ton of deep lunges b/c of my knees. Any one have any tips on things I can do to optimize my workout.

Thanks so much and I look forward to being a valuable member of this board.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Cara: Welcome to LWL! And, congratulations on losing 84 pounds: that's fantastic!

I don't care for circuit training. If I want to exercise my heart, I do cardio. If I want to build strength, I lift weights. Circuit training is supposed to kill two birds with one stone, but really ends up just wounding both.

IMO, it's more efficient to concentrate on lifting heavy weight with good form on weight training days, and on cardio on cardio days. (Unless you're one of the 1-5% of women who naturally produce a lot of testosterone or are taking steroids, you won't bulk up from lifting heavy.) Moreover, since you can't spot reduce, you might as well get the most bang for your weight lifting buck by emphasizing compound movements that work the whole body (e.g., squats, bench press, dips, deadlifts, pullups or alternative, etc) rather than isolation movements (e.g., bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, etc.) that work just a couple of small muscles at a time.

As for the problem areas, weight training will build muscle and help you lose fat by raising your resting metabolism (slightly). But, until you lose the covering fat, the muscles won't show, and you'll still jiggle. You'll jiggle less than if you didn't lift, and you'll be stronger, but you'll still jiggle. Them's the breaks.

If you're carrying a lot of loose skin from your weight loss, this won't be affected by weight training. Either you have elastic skin, in which case your skin will shrink to fit, or you don't, in which case the only real option to get rid of the loose skin is surgery. (It looks live you've been on 3fc for a while, so you probably know about the many weight loss after surgery threads.)

Still, there's really no substitute for weight training as one component of a healthy lifestyle. We're learning more and more each year about the physiological benefits, especially for women. So glad you found this board, and decided to join up!
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #3  

Thanks Kaw. I have been trying to go to the gym at least 4 times a week. Usually its just on my lunch break where I spend 30 mins. I do cardio for 10-15 mins and then use weights. I alternate upper and lower body on different days and do some sort of abs everyday. I dont mind weights but hate cardio.

I am having a hysterectomy in dec and the Dr is going to give me a modified tummy tuck while Im there. So far I have 4 inches that will be removed and IM trying to get more.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #4  
Mel

Welcome cara

kaw gave you great advice :nod: If you only have lunch hour to workout, I'd suggest trying to get 3 days of lifting, then do longer/harder/faster cardio on one day at the gym and try to squeeze in more cardio before or after work on the non-lifting days. It really can be done- I do it everyday and have an 8-5 job as well as work part-time as a trainer.

Congratulations on your weightloss so far! That's fantastic Despite the skin issue (have you read the sticky on Loose Skin FAQs in the Maintainers' Forum?) you must feel so much better already.

You will recover so much more easily from your surgery if your weight is down and you are strong. The surgery itself is easier (thus safer) for your surgeon if you have good musculature and less fat. In addition, speaking from personal experience, it's a LOT easier to be mobile after abdominal surgery if you have a strong upper body!

And congrats on getting your surgeon to do a TT with the hysterectomy. Remember, the more fat you lose, the more skin can be removed. There's motivation right there.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #5  

I went yesterday and did 30 mins of weights and 5 mins of cardio. Today I'll do 20 mins of cardio (I defientely have to take a shower before returning to work after 20 mins of cardio), the tomorrow I'll try another 30 mins weights and just alternate like that. I do the circuit at the gym so all muscles are worked 2 set of 15-20 reps. Sound good?