100 lb. Club - The Biggest Loser

View Full Version : The Biggest Loser

melsfolly
09-11-2007, 05:15 AM
The thread about the Fat March reminded me...

For you Biggest Loser fans, don't forget that the 2 hour premier for the new season starts tonight!!

:woops:

Pita09
09-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks! :)

tingirl
09-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks! I love the show, but have to go to open house at school tonight. Hopefully someone will tell me all about it.

wisher
09-11-2007, 08:38 AM
thank you, I'll definitely be tuning in!
(p.s. I DID forget!)

dek6
09-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Im so excited. Im going to try to kinda "play at home". Im gonna "weigh in" when they do every tuesday. Im gonnna challenge myself and use it as motivation. Im gonna see what I can do in 3 months. We will see......

GirlyGirlSebas
09-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Daphne, that's a great idea. Keep us posted.

Cassie501107
09-11-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm really excited about this season...I'll be watching!:cool:

xJox
09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Im gonna be watching too. I wanted to join in the biggest loser forum but the deadline had already passed.

Trazey34
09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey "dek6" I'm doing the same - playing along at home and seeing what i can accomplish (they speed up the process, i believe they show 6 months in 3) and I've started a "biggest loser" challenge at work, and 15 people signed up, not bad! No one gets voted out tho hehehehe.... it costs everyone $5 a week, for 12 weeks, and the person with the biggest percentage of weight loss will take home the kitty!!! some people paid all 12 weeks up front so they can't quit!! The winners (one man one woman) will split it, for $450 each not too shabby!

We organized walks, too! Not everyone (me included) likes getting sweaty midday, so we're going to walk right after work, as long as we have 2 people minimum.

Wish us luck :D

Trazey34
09-11-2007, 10:28 AM
me again! i got a copy of "the biggest loser AUSTRALIA" and it's the same kinda show but down unda, and Bob & Jillian did the training! i'll watch that thru the week to keep me motivated LOL

SuchAPrettyFace
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I already set the VCR to tape it every week.

I auditioned for season 5 last Saturday. I don't think they are going to call me.

GirlyGirlSebas
09-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Im gonna be watching too. I wanted to join in the biggest loser forum but the deadline had already passed.

Drat! I should have said something on here. I'd love to have seen more of us from the 100lb club on the challenge. I missed out on the last one, so I made it a point to watch for it this time. I'm hoping it gives me some extra motivation to get going. I've set a goal of One-derland by 12/31. Whew!...it may be ambitious, but I'm gonna try!

Cassie501107
09-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Drat! I should have said something on here. I'd love to have seen more of us from the 100lb club on the challenge. I missed out on the last one, so I made it a point to watch for it this time. I'm hoping it gives me some extra motivation to get going. I've set a goal of One-derland by 12/31. Whew!...it may be ambitious, but I'm gonna try!
I think you can do it!:D
I wish I could have gotten in on that challenge...I can never seem to join any challenges on here in time.:p

Sandi
09-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I can't wait to see it tonight!

I am terrible with challenges, I never seem to stick with them!

Trazey34
09-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I already set the VCR to tape it every week.

I auditioned for season 5 last Saturday. I don't think they are going to call me.

that's so cool that you got to try out!!!!!!!! up in Canada, eh, we don't do that hahahah

What did you have to do??? sounds really fun! I'd do it in a heartbeat!

tingirl
09-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Trazey - we are going a biggest loser game as work as well. That's what helped get me started last October. We only pay $10.00 each at the start of the game. I wish we could have people pay every week for bigger pay out, but I had a hard enough time getting the $10.00 out of them. Our kitty is $200.00 and will be awarded to one winner right before Christmas break! It is so much fun. We have a couple of side bets going on which make it even more interesting. I'm trying really hard to keep the motivation up, so let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Trazey34
09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm trying really hard to keep the motivation up, so let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

For sure, and you do the same for me! I can use all the help I can get!

One thing we decided ~ a lot of us (me included) do not like walking at lunchtime, i feel a bit sweaty and gross when i get back -- so we're walking right after work, as long as at least 2 people show up! that should help!

Let me know how yours goes ~ I'm sure I'll be posting each Wednesday morning to either brag or cry LOL

wanna b thin
09-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Tazey and Robyn, I wish I worked with either one of you. What motivation. I work for such a small place there is not enough of us to do anything like that, although Robyn that works with me lost a lot of weight last year and my boss and one other guy are both on a weight loss program now too. I sure would not compete with them though, they've been loosing for just a short time and you know how guys loose faster anyway LOL.

Good luck to both of you, I'll watch for you updated post.

Cassie501107
09-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Yay! For those of us who wanted in on the BL challenge but thought we were too late:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1849907&posted=1#post1849907

Here comes the Black Team!:carrot:

GirlyGirlSebas
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm sure I'll be posting each Wednesday morning to either brag or cry LOL

You better be bragging or I'll be coming up to Canada to kick some booty! (I've always wanted to see Canada ;))

Trazey34
09-11-2007, 04:04 PM
hheh I'll remember that Rhonda!!

you should come see Canada, it's kinda nice up here :) I live in Kingston Ontario and it's right on the Lake (well about 20 of them actually) and it's got lots of historic limestone buildings and it's not too big (about 110,000) but not too small either :)

rockinrobin
09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I'll be tuning in. It's practically the only show I watched last year. I just love seeing the transformations. That's probably what kept me going all these years. I loved seeing befores and afters, on TV, in magazines, of people who have lost a lot of weight. It gave me hope that losing lots of weight IS possible. And perhaps, maybe, just maybe that I could be one a big loser as well.

I don't know what the BL challenge is all about going on here at 3FC. But we could surely do SOMETHING of the sort right here at the 100lb club. :shrug:

teahoney
09-11-2007, 05:45 PM
I already set a reminder timer for myself. I am so looking forward to this season, especially because, JILLIAN IS BACK!!!

xJox
09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I watched!!! Did u?

xJox
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Yay! For those of us who wanted in on the BL challenge but thought we were too late:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1849907&posted=1#post1849907

Here comes the Black Team!:carrot:

I signed up!!! :carrot:

Cassie501107
09-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Yay! I'm glad you joined.

I watched the show...awesome, loved it! I'm so excited...I hate waiting a week between episodes though.:p

Trazey34
09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
awesome show! dude was down 30 lbs in a WEEK??? yikes! LOL

am I mean but i was Soooooooo happy they kicked off Amber ~ someone needing help is fine, but the whiney defeatist attitude bugged me, especially when so many others would have loved the opportunity! good for her for dropping 60 lbs at home tho! yay!

xJox
09-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Oh yeah. I was glad they kicked her rear to the curb. lol.

I about hit the floor when I saw he lost 30 lbs. That is WOW!

CLCSC145
09-12-2007, 04:43 AM
I thought it was nice to see gals that were bigger than the ones they've chosen in seasons past. The 31 pound guy and the 20 pound gal were a huge upset for the red team. All I can say is wow.

Oh, and I'll also say that I think it's C-R-U-E-L to put the women in those sports bras and spandex shorts. Since I read the scale they stand on isn't the real scale (they weigh them in advance of the weigh in ceremony), why they don't weigh both the guys and the girls in a t-shirt and normal gym shorts is beyond me.

Idealmuse
09-12-2007, 05:49 AM
I was also happy to see larger girls it's always been one of my beefs with the show... that they had large men and not women. Us larger girls need inspiration too.

It's good to have a "mix" of weights.

rockinrobin
09-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Another one here happy to see heavier gals.

I don't know why they put the gals in the sports bras, or for that matter, why they make the men expose themselves by taking off their shirts.

And for the life of me, I can not figure out how (or why) any one could lose 31 lbs of ANYthing in one week. Unless of course they G-d forbid lost a limb or something.

I missed the first half hour or so, can someone please explain to me what's the deal with the black team? Thank you.

hellokitty81668
09-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Another one here happy to see heavier gals.

I don't know why they put the gals in the sports bras, or for that matter, why they make the men expose themselves by taking off their shirts.

And for the life of me, I can not figure out how (or why) any one could lose 31 lbs of ANYthing in one week. Unless of course they G-d forbid lost a limb or something.

I missed the first half hour or so, can someone please explain to me what's the deal with the black team? Thank you.

The black team, is Jillian's team. they were tricked into thinking they were being sent home( Red and Blue captains picked their teammates and the rest were led to believe they were going home). She is training them for 20 days? and then they will rejoin the rest at the campus.

I saw up to the last 15 minutes. I love the show because it is a great motivatar, but at the same time, it gets me upset that they show these people loosing so much weight, because I really thing a 30 lb loose is really unhealthy. In reality it would be nice to have a show were people were loosing weight normally, but then the show wouldn't make money would it?
Also I add that it was nice to see women wou were bigger than other games, I didn't feel that bad knowing that there are women who are big as I was.
cheryl

xJox
09-12-2007, 07:51 AM
I too was glad to see women that weigh around my weight and even more than me.

Jess8
09-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Hello! I'm excited to talk about Biggest Loser!
I haven't been into the show as much as this season, and it just started!

I also must say that I was very pleased to see the heavier gals being represented on the show finally. I understand that there are all levels of weightloss, but all the girls used to be like 220 or 230. And is it just me, or are there quite a few really pretty girls on this season? The largest girl that is like 297 is going to be a gorgeous!

I'm so excited to see next week's episode and watch the blue and red teams freak out when they see Jillian show up with her new black team. Awesome!:carrot:

wisher
09-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I caught myself getting all misty eyed at least 4 or 5 times during the show, I'm such a sap!

Mrs Quadcrew
09-12-2007, 08:40 AM
I too was glad to see the heavier women on this season, along with folks that are older too. We all know their weight losses are not realistic, but it is still a huge motivator for me to watch the show!

Sandi
09-12-2007, 08:51 AM
I enjoyed it...thought it was a bit cruel to make those 6 people think they were going home!!!

As for the 30 lb loss...I know I could lose 8-10 lbs on my "first" week with a program if I really tried, but 30 - They must just absolutely work them to death. And don't forget, the weigh-in's next week are often not good.

Cassie501107
09-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I don't know why they have them in sports bras/topless either...I think it's for the drama or something.
But I was glad to see bigger women on there too...we're out there!:)
Losing 30lbs in one week...goodness. The only thing I can come up with is that he MUST have been retaining some serious water or something.

Jen
09-12-2007, 09:38 AM
I think the idea of the sports bra and going topless is a motivator. If I knew I was going to be on national tv with a sports bra on you know I'd be slaving the entire week. Also I like to weigh-in in my birthday suit and I'm sure those people do as well, like in this sort of competition every ounce will count so the less clothes on at weigh in the better.

MaNdA22
09-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Like everyone else has said I'm glad the women are heavier than usual this year. I'm glad they brought Jillian back I wish she was my trainer. I love watching the transformations every week and seeing that other women my size and bigger are doing this and so can I if I push myself.

Torister
09-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I absolutely *love* this show! It motivates me very much. I am also glad to see girls who are as big as I am in there and working hard and achieving. Love the "grandpa" too. He must have been retaining a ton of water. Good for him!

I would love to have any of the three trainers to kick my butt into shape! lol

Robin41
09-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I just hate this show. The weight loss is ridiculously dangerous whether they have medical personnel around or not. It gives people at home the impression that if fat people just worked hard enough, that we could all lose that kind of weight. It also has to be discouraging to a lot of people in the real world when they only lose two pounds a week instead of these numbers.

You're also taking people in seriously bad shape and starting with workouts that could actually bring on exercise induced heart attacks. Eventually they are going to kill somebody on this show.

That being said, I'm still going to watch it every week. :) I'll watch anything where I can root for somebody and against somebody else. And I think the big football player captain guy is going to be pretty hot when the weight comes off.

Trazey34
09-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm loving this show! and YAY for the bigger girls !!! I loved that the old dude made it there first ~ good for him :D

I missed a few minutes (I'm doing this ridiculous thing I agreed to -- EACH commercial break, run up and down all the stairs in your house good lord! ) can anyone tell me if they weighed in the black team? I don't think I saw that? How will we know what they started as???? PS I'd snap Jilian in half, I'm so a BOB kinda gal !

KnCmamma
09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
awesome show! dude was down 30 lbs in a WEEK??? yikes! LOL...am I mean but i was Soooooooo happy they kicked off Amber ~ someone needing help is fine, but the whiney defeatist attitude bugged me, especially when so many others would have loved the opportunity! good for her for dropping 60 lbs at home tho! yay!

I too was ecstatic when Amber got the boot. And also was happy for her that she lost 60 lbs on her own too. I love the fact that this year there are 3 teams and that Jillian is back too....I always liked Bob and Jillian....not too crazy about Kim.

KnCmamma
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
I thought it was nice to see gals that were bigger than the ones they've chosen in seasons past. The 31 pound guy and the 20 pound gal were a huge upset for the red team. All I can say is wow.

Oh, and I'll also say that I think it's C-R-U-E-L to put the women in those sports bras and spandex shorts. Since I read the scale they stand on isn't the real scale (they weigh them in advance of the weigh in ceremony), why they don't weigh both the guys and the girls in a t-shirt and normal gym shorts is beyond me.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the women wearing those sports bras when the guys are wearing shirts...however the guys take their shirts off for the weigh-in part

ChristyDM
09-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I know that the biggest loser is incredibly unrealistic. Did anyone else notice how some people mentioned it being 2 weeks since original weigh in and then correcting themselves to 1? Even so, 2 weeks to lose 30 (or even 20) pounds is so beyond what us "normal" folks can do. While I do think it's inspiring to see people working hard and losing, I just can't get with this show very much. (and I am a self confessed reality show junkie! lol) I just think it helps fuel a huge stereotype that many "fat-phobic" people have. I know personally I've encountered people who say things like "well, why don't you just exercise." Uh, yeah, been doing that since July 6. Now, two months later, I've lost 20-something pounds. Granted, I think what I've lost is great. But last night I was talking to a "friend" (and I use that term loosely in this case) and they were watching at the time same I was and a comment was made "wow...she lost 20 pounds in a week...how long it take you to lose your 20??" :mad: Ya know...if I were in that environment I probably would have lost faster too. But it's not a realistic situation. Unless I win the lottery I can't afford to exercise as my full time job. And even if I did win, I'd be too busy on shopping sprees to exercise full time. lol. That being said, I think the motivation that these people have to even be on this show is huge. And I think they are awesome for doing it. Even the whiney one who went home last night. And good for her for continueing at home. I'll watch...just because I like cheering for them and discussing the show. But I watch with a cynical eye. Oh, and that said.....I have never been a fan of man boobs, and I HATE, HATE, HATE that the guys go shirtless for their weigh in. I mean really.....how much is that t-shirt REALLY gonna add to your weight? I've always had the mind set that if women have to cover ours up to be "decent" men should as well. :soap:

Trazey34
09-12-2007, 11:08 AM
hehe i agree about the man-boobs! lol and you're right, it's unrealistic but next week they'll drop down to more reasonable losses.

i like the football player captain Red team dude -- he's so cute even fat! LOL he reminds me of my DH i think that's why he's got me smitten:D

and those losses are crazy, sure, but dh has dropped 16 lbs in a week/10 days before! no booze, vigorous exercise, and a lot of fluid loss! i hate boys :(

Jen415
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
You know what was weird? The bigger women only losing 7 or 8 lbs, and the littlest gal on the blue team losing 20!! WTH??

KnCmamma
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Oh, and that said.....I have never been a fan of man boobs, and I HATE, HATE, HATE that the guys go shirtless for their weigh in. I mean really.....how much is that t-shirt REALLY gonna add to your weight? I've always had the mind set that if women have to cover ours up to be "decent" men should as well. :soap:

LOL, that's too funny. I agree, they should all just wear shirts and shorts, makes it that much more equal don't you think?

sfj
09-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm loving this show! and YAY for the bigger girls !!! I loved that the old dude made it there first ~ good for him :D

I missed a few minutes (I'm doing this ridiculous thing I agreed to -- EACH commercial break, run up and down all the stairs in your house good lord! ) can anyone tell me if they weighed in the black team? I don't think I saw that? How will we know what they started as???? PS I'd snap Jilian in half, I'm so a BOB kinda gal !\

check out http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser/
it shows them weighing in

melissaevans37
09-12-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm new and so glad that I found this website!

Watched The Biggest Loser last night and got inspired!! I started at 215 over a year ago and now weigh 165 although I was down to around 150-155 for a bit and got sidetracked....

Can anyone tell me how to post my pic??

Jen415
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey Melissa: ARe you talking about posting an avatar? If so, go to the UserCP at the top, then click on Edit Avatar and follow directions from there!

PampGal
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Since I saw you chatting about the show yesterday on the boards, I picked it up while I was cooking dinner (healthy, but not SBD). DH (teacher) came home from school open house and watched with last ½ hour with me.

He asked me if I'd go on the show with him if they did a couples one. I said "Yes" after some thought. The sports bra & spandex would be a good motivator for me to work harder although I wouldn't choose it.

I agree that making the un-picked think that they were going home was pretty cruel in a grade-school kind of way. I say "Go, Amber!" - I think if I was voted off like she was, I'd probably lose all motivation. She (surprisingly based on her attitude on the show) turned it around into a positive - I'm envious.

Lifeguard
09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I agree that the picking names was unnecessarily cruel. But I do LOVE the added dimension of the "secret" team - plus I LOVE Jillian - I was so disappointed when she wasn't on last season. I just don't find Kim nearly as motivating.

I personally find watching the people working SO hard very motivating.

Cassie501107
09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Since I saw you chatting about the show yesterday on the boards, I picked it up while I was cooking dinner (healthy, but not SBD). DH (teacher) came home from school open house and watched with last hour with me.

He asked me if I'd go on the show with him if they did a couples one. I said "Yes" after some thought. The sports bra & spandex would be a good motivator for me to work harder although I wouldn't choose it.

I agree that making the un-picked think that they were going home was pretty cruel in a grade-school kind of way. I say "Go, Amber!" - I think if I was voted off like she was, I'd probably lose all motivation. She (surprisingly based on her attitude on the show) turned it around into a positive - I'm envious.

They're looking for couples to be on the next season! :D

SuchAPrettyFace
09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Trazey, don't get too excited, they got us all in a room for 5 min, a group of 10, to say "Send us a videotape oh & btw the deadline for that is Friday." I don't have easy access to a video camera, so I'm out. If I am still this big next time auditions come around, I will have made a videotape to take with me to the audition, and will have filled out the 10 pages of paperwork at home. Sandi warned me about the videotape thing, but still. It was a little disheartening. Also I could have been sleeping from 5am-at least 10am with the sleep machine. haha

The other thing was, as previously mentioned, they were looking for teams. My friend from work had to go to Volunteer Oreintation for the Milwaukee International Film Festival, so she couldn't make it BUT the NBC website clearly stated they were looking for individuals as well. Whatevs.

Also I have decided that by hook or by crook, I am going to get under 300 pounds by the end of the year. It's been long enough & I am fed up. :drill:

I only caught the last half hour, hope my VCR caught the rest. What I can't stand about this show is that they send someone home so soon. I think they should be on the ranch for a month, 4 weeks, before anyone is eliminated. That said, I am SHOCKED that Amber was able to go home & lose that much weight. I can't wait to see her at the final show to see how she did.

I'm very excited about the idea of the black team & although I would snap her in half like Trazey said in person, I like how Jillian truly believes everyone on her team can do this. Bob I love, and I'd want him as my trainer if I made it on the show. Kim I've got no feelings for one way or the other.

I was so proud of the Grampy guy. 30 pounds, that might be a whole grandchild!!! :cool:

PampGal
09-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Okay, I checked. The applications for the next season of the Biggest Loser have to be in by Friday (09/14)! Video tape and long application - it's not going to happen this time around in the real world.

Better planning next time?

SuchAPrettyFace
09-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Definitely! You can do it! :)

KnCmamma
09-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm very excited about the idea of the black team & although I would snap her in half like Trazey said in person, I like how Jillian truly believes everyone on her team can do this. Bob I love, and I'd want him as my trainer if I made it on the show. Kim I've got no feelings for one way or the other.

I was so proud of the Grampy guy. 30 pounds, that might be a whole grandchild!!! :cool:

I too would like to be on Bob's team...don't know why but I just like Bob the best...maybe because I think he's a hottie...LOL...that might motivate me...LOL

KO
09-12-2007, 12:34 PM
The only thing I don't like about the "black" team is in the preview they seem to be setting up a Kim/ Jillian CAt fight Bleh
other than that I like all the times
Helllooo Mr Football! damn I'm a talk skinny nerdy guy type but hes hot now he's going to be smokin later
and I love the older guy
and all the girls are cute and sympathetic except for that blonde on the red team
I'm Excited! is every episode oing to be 2 hours?

KateRN
09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
mr football - AMEN! i loves me a great big man!
:) :) :)

i totally cried through most of the show, i'm such a girly girl!!

kristinaferina
09-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I think some of them drank a bunch of water before their first weigh in. I know I would, lol. It's the only way they can post those huge numbers. I could never do the show, too embarassed about my stretch marks, not to mention no one around here to watch the kids if I was gone for 3 months. Put me on the lottery list though, I'd hire someone Bob-like to live with us, helping us pick healthier foods and exercising me.

KO
09-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Remember the wrestler guy? He knew how to eat and cut weight sooo maybe they get "tips"

PeggyP
09-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I was looking through the TV directory and can't find it!! What channel is it on??
Thanks!

kaplods
09-12-2007, 03:03 PM
There have been articles posted about some of the unhealthy things the contestants do to pull these weight losses. My husband and I actually had an argument about it last night. I only got to see the last half hour of the show, and offered to watch it in the bedroom (hubby HATES the show).

He graciously offered to watch with me, but when I made a few comments like how stupid the pulling the jet stunt was, and the dubious numbers... he kept muttering "I don't know why you watch this...."

His points were very valid. The show is dangerous for the contestants, and for anyone watching who might be stupid enough to try this stuff at home, it does encourage more fat stereotypes than it breaks, and by watching it, I am participating in it. If a contestant dies, it is as much my fault for watching as was theirs for not considering their health above the fame and prize money, and the producers for setting up the situation.

That being said, I probably will continue to watch, but I have nothing to be proud of in doing so.

PeggyP
09-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Sorry! I just found it! NBC!! Thanks!

sapphire9
09-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Did anyone notice that the contestants all seem to be equally as fat this year. Seems like other years there were some not as fat. What depresses me is that I look at some of them and think they weigh more or the same as me and find out that they weigh less! Although I'm glad to see Jillian back, I find that there are too many people to keep track of. I wonder how they're going to handle that. Some of those stunts look too strenuous for people in their condition and I wouldn't be surprised if one of these years someone dies during the process. That said, my vote goes to gramps - he's my age and he actually looks to be in better condition than some of the younger ones -- not as flabby. I also miss Carolyn Rhea.

thistoo
09-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I miss Caroline so much (and not just because we share the same name). That said, I tune in to this show every week and will continue to do so. My sister is much, much thinner than me, but we work out together a few times a week and talk reality TV on the treadmill. She loves this show just as much as I do (maybe more). But she's an exercise physiologist and a reality TV junkie, so I guess TBL is the perfect storm of TV viewing for her.

I think the secret team is an interesting twist, but I still wish they'd replaced Kim with Jillian instead of having three trainers. I just really don't like Kim, she's so wishy-washy and she can't pull off the tough love routine the way Jillian and Bob can.

LondonJulz
09-12-2007, 05:03 PM
And I think the big football player captain guy is going to be pretty hot when the weight comes off. :yes: I agree completely!!! He's already good looking, I can't even imagine once the weight comes off..... wowza!!! :s: :devil: :D :drool: I'll be tuning in just for that!!!! I've always been a sucker for the football types though. Broad-shoulders, very masculine.... luckily DH is like that...

I love the show and I LOVE the concept of the Black Team. I don't think it was too extremely cruel to make them think that they were going to go home - think of how much more motivated that made them when Jillian pulled up and they realized what was going on - they were the ones who weren't picked - and now they're going to get their revenge! KUDOS to the producers for that idea!

I love TBL though, been a fan since the start! I would love to do the show, but couldn't handle being away from my kids and hubby for that long. So, I'll just lose weight at home instead.

Glad to see the new host. Caroline got on my nerves for some reason!

For now, GO MR. FOOTBALL! :carrot:

Trazey34
09-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I know the weight loss is dangerously sudden for a lot of them, but their LOOMING heart attacks by doing nothing are just as dangerous, yes????

I know in real life, slow & steady wins the race, but hey this is TV and they've got doctors and more importantly, LAWYERS, who don't want to be sued for killing someone, so I have faith everyone is working within their limits :D

kaplods
09-12-2007, 09:58 PM
But there is an alternative between doing nothing and extreme action, there's moderation, which as americans we despise. Moderation is boring, who wants to watch that.

Yes the show has doctors and lawyers, but I would love to see the releases and contracts these people sign. The families could still sue, if someone were hurt or injured, but they would probably lose, because of the wording of these releases. The lawyers would argue that they didn't force anyone to do anything, and that they had explained all of the risks to each contestant (which they probably have, so on that hand I have to say a person has a right to be as stupid as they choose to be).

The woman who died on the radio contest to win a Wii by drinking tons of water and not being allowed to go to the bathroom signed a release holding the radio station blameless of any harm. Nurses were calling into the station to tell them that drinking this much water was dangerous, and the radio personalities laughed at them saying people had signed releases. I believe the radio show hosts were fired, but if the family sues, they will probably lose if it isn't settled out of court for publicity sake.

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I believe that even a death wouldn't stop the show. The perception would be that a person so fat would have dropped dead eventually, anyway. The doctors would be trotted out to say so. The doctors and trainers on the show may or may not be conscientious, but the fact is that this is a classic case of conflict of interest. They're not being paid by their "patients" and "clients," they're being paid by the show.

melsfolly
09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I didn't get a chance to post after I watch last night, but...
1) even though I knew Jillian was going to take the rejects in as the black team, I still got teary eyed because they weren't picked. (I'm such a sap!)
2) I was very excited to see that the women weighed more than they have in the past.
3) Even though they still lost big numbers, I was actually pleased that this season (with the exception of the two member) they had more realistic weight losses. In the past I believe that most of them lost between 15-25 lbs that first week and this time they were more in the 10-15 lb range which is quite doable with the first week water weight loss.
4) If I were on the program, I would want Bob as my trainer.
5) There are already a couple of "catty" women that I know that can't wait until they are kicked out!

and

6) Go gramps!!!! :cheer:

SuchAPrettyFace
09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
5) There are already a couple of "catty" women that I know that can't wait until they are kicked out!

and

6) Go gramps!!!! :cheer: Oh no kidding. I cannot stand one in particular on the red team, now that I've gotten a chance to watch the entire thing. There are also 2 hot guys on the Blue Team. :cool: I can't wait to see it next week!!!

Pita09
09-13-2007, 07:37 AM
I also watched the season opening, and I love a good reality show with a twist. :D

I completely agree with those that say it's unrealistic and I totally believe it is fixed and those people are put through dangerous extremes that NO one should go through. It does give the impression that losing weight is easy if we only eat right and exercise our butts off. It's not that easy as we ALL know. It takes a complete new mindset and lots of determination and hard work.

But, if you take the show for what it is and have a good time with it then great. I LOVE Jillian and would HATE for her to be my trainer. That woman is seriously scary, but awesome! I love Bob and would let him train me anytime. ;)

I will say that there is a level of motivation that comes with this show. I have recently upped my exercise at Curves to an hour and yesterday I thought of the show and pushed myself a little harder than I normally would. The scale actually moved down this morning sooooooooooo I'm heading back to Curves to do it again. :exercise:

JayEll
09-13-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't think anyone will ever drop dead. Yes, they show them sweating and panting and exerting and moaning, but I will bet that they are monitoring them the whole time, and then they just pull outtakes where the contestants are resting between moves so it looks like continuous effort. It's drama!

Jay

GirlyGirlSebas
09-13-2007, 07:53 AM
I also watched the season opening, and I love a good reality show with a twist. :D

I completely agree with those that say it's unrealistic and I totally believe it is fixed and those people are put through dangerous extremes that NO one should go through. It does give the impression that losing weight is easy if we only eat right and exercise our butts off. It's not that easy as we ALL know. It takes a complete new mindset and lots of determination and hard work.

But, if you take the show for what it is and have a good time with it then great. I LOVE Jillian and would HATE for her to be my trainer. That woman is seriously scary, but awesome! I love Bob and would let him train me anytime. ;)

I will say that there is a level of motivation that comes with this show. I have recently upped my exercise at Curves to an hour and yesterday I thought of the show and pushed myself a little harder than I normally would. The scale actually moved down this morning sooooooooooo I'm heading back to Curves to do it again. :exercise:

Ditto! Love the show and love the motivation it gives me. And, I want to be like Jillian when I grow up. That women is awesome!

dek6
09-13-2007, 08:06 AM
I think that it is a wonderful show. These people would never have a chance if they didnt lose weight. They would be sitting on the couch eating big macs and fries super sized with a lare coke waiting for a heart attack. So yes it may be al little over the top as far as the amount of weight lost and how many hours they are exercising. But I say more power to them. Yeah it may not be realistic in normal peoples lives. But it is TV it isnt realistic. I love the show.

And can we say WOOHOO!!!!!!!!! GOodbye to Amber!!!! She was so on my nerves. I can not believe that she had the B@ll$ to actually say "send me home". Well she got her wish.

Jillian scares me. She always has a mean look on her face. I dont think someone screaming and yelling at me would motivate me. I love Bob and I love how he gets so involved and personal. Kim is cool too.

Sandi
09-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Did anyone see (I don't know if it was the intro or what) but when they showed Bob, he did a standing jump up to this high platform. OMG!!! I want strength and agility to do that!!!

dek6
09-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Did anyone see (I don't know if it was the intro or what) but when they showed Bob, he did a standing jump up to this high platform. OMG!!! I want strength and agility to do that!!!

I saw that and my husband who is 31 years old weighs 312 is 6 feet and has a beer belly said that he could do that. I laughed and said Um ok. RIGHT!!!!

I would pay to see him try to do that. It would be so funny to see him fall on his @$$....

Fooled
09-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I saw that. Whoa! And I don't know if they were doctoring the angles or something but that thing looked pretty high, at least above the waist. It's something to aspire to. ;)

Jen
09-13-2007, 09:16 AM
I disagree that what they are doing is not safe. Definately they are supervised and probably undergo a lot of tests etc that are not shown. I wouldn't doubt that they have their blood pressure and heart rate monitored daily as well as routine bloodwork etc. The last thing the network wants is for someone to keel over while working out. It seems to me that most of the people that are on the show are basically healthy people other than being overweight. Also you have to figure that someone that is 300 lbs and over eats a lot of calories to maintain that weight plus they are probably carrying a lot of extra water. If you went from eating 3000-4000 cals a day to eating 1200 cals a day and exercising 6 hours a day and drinking tons of water than you are going to see a lot of weight loss. The water weight is only going to come off once though, next week most of those people who lost 20 lbs will be lucky to lose half of that. The crazy stuff that people were doing in the time that they were home before the finale show, like Ryan Benson completely dehydrating himself, well of course that is not safe but the tv show can't be responsible for what the contestants do once they are home.

ShyCammie
09-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Hey Ladies,
I saw Bob's standing jump to the platform. I not only believe it, but have done it (in my 20's). Now, I'd not even try! When you do something like that, you usually work up to a given height and it hurts when your foot doesn't get high enough! My knees have been injured too many times, in too many ways to withstand the pressure of the land on the platform, even I could get my butt up that far. But my point is: with strength, agility, and balance - you can do it too. (Although it's got to be a ton easier when we're lighter!)
I have to admit, I like Jillian.
She may seem scary...but I think that's part of her point. Extreme weight is scary. Extreme weight may take some very harsh "in your face" methods to allow people to see not only what they can/could/should do, but it also helps people to be "shocked" into doing things they normally wouldn't push themselves to do. Then when the people look back, they can say, "Oh my gosh! I did that! I can do that." It helps set up the mindset that each person is capable of doing more than they've done in the past, or than they realize. She even talks about that in her interview.
Jillian does soften her voice and ask, "Why the tears?" and things like that. She realizes that people have a LOT of emotions that can keep them from success and it's her job to help them address those emotions.
During the show Jillian said that one of the gals "wasn't ready for the house yet" meaning that she didn't have the mind-set to sucessful competitor.
She was right.
Biggest Loser is a competition. (While I like Kim, she's more of the "I want to help everyone" spirit. Jillian is maintaining an on-screen persona of "I'm back to win" to support the "back for revenge" type attitude that the producers are pushing.
In the end, these people didn't hire a personal trainer out here in the real world. They entered a competition on National TV. It's not Wheel of Fortune, it's significantly more motivational.
I've been injured, I'm not even eligible to try out for the show. If you note, only one guy (the police officer) ever even had a dislocated ankle.
In the end, I like all of the trainers - each for their own personal style.
If I were to chose a trainer, it'd probably be Bob or Jillian because I want someone to push me, but also to help me realize "Ok, this sucks. Take a moment to acknowledge it sucks. Now put it behind you." It's never really so easy as that since things keep coming up and biting me, but, to have someone help me do that would be great.
I guess that's part of what I look to y'all for...you're my team of support that says "ok, that sucks. Now put it behind you, eat right and exercise."
:D
I really love y'all for it, too.

lilybelle
09-13-2007, 09:49 AM
I love the show and at my starting weight I would have loved to be on it. I would not have minded having Jillian as my trainer at all. I needed the sterness and kick in the butt to quit feeling sorry for myself and just accept the problem and deal with it. Of course, I probably would have shed a few tears at first, but I wouldn't have asked to go home.

SuchAPrettyFace
09-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I disagree that what they are doing is not safe. Definately they are supervised and probably undergo a lot of tests etc that are not shown. I wouldn't doubt that they have their blood pressure and heart rate monitored daily as well as routine bloodwork etc. The last thing the network wants is for someone to keel over while working out. It seems to me that most of the people that are on the show are basically healthy people other than being overweight. Also you have to figure that someone that is 300 lbs and over eats a lot of calories to maintain that weight plus they are probably carrying a lot of extra water. If you went from eating 3000-4000 cals a day to eating 1200 cals a day and exercising 6 hours a day and drinking tons of water than you are going to see a lot of weight loss. The water weight is only going to come off once though, next week most of those people who lost 20 lbs will be lucky to lose half of that. The crazy stuff that people were doing in the time that they were home before the finale show, like Ryan Benson completely dehydrating himself, well of course that is not safe but the tv show can't be responsible for what the contestants do once they are home.I agree.

If you look closely, most of the bigger ones are wearing an armband type thing. I would think they are monitoring them very very closely.

kaplods
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I can see that they may have picked the healthiest fat people in america to be contestants, so maybe the risk to each contestant is minimal. I still have mixed feelings about the show because, while there's a disclaimer at the end of the show (don't try this at home), I'm not sure it's enough to keep people at home who don't have the doctors and ambulance standing by (or a lick of common sense) from trying to pull these kinds of weekly weight losses at home. I think it also gives the impression that "see, fat people could lose the weight fast if they wanted to bad enough, they're all just lazy."

It just reminds me of gym class when a gym teacher thought the "fat kids" were just lazy and could do anything the thin kids could if they were pushed hard enough. I told her I couldn't do a cartwheel, she forced me to try, and I landed on my ankle, breaking it (I actually didn't find out until college that it had been broken, as it was a hairline fracture that didn't show up on the first xray). Even after I hurt myself, she didn't think I was hurt and made me keep going. Yikes when I got home it had swollen like a balloon and was BLACK. What was worse, when the gym teacher saw that I had an excuse for PE, she made me unwrap the ankle and show her, she looked a little pale, but still acted like I was the criminal. She sent a letter to my parents, an "accident report," stating they had called the parents and put ice on it (NOPE).

And on the other hand, I do like seeing the fat contestants do things I know some skinny person is watching saying "I couldn't do that."

SuchAPrettyFace
09-13-2007, 05:39 PM
It just reminds me of gym class when a gym teacher thought the "fat kids" were just lazy and could do anything the thin kids could if they were pushed hard enough. I told her I couldn't do a cartwheel, she forced me to try, and I landed on my ankle, breaking it (I actually didn't find out until college that it had been broken, as it was a hairline fracture that didn't show up on the first xray). Even after I hurt myself, she didn't think I was hurt and made me keep going. Yikes when I got home it had swollen like a balloon and was BLACK. What was worse, when the gym teacher saw that I had an excuse for PE, she made me unwrap the ankle and show her, she looked a little pale, but still acted like I was the criminal. She sent a letter to my parents, an "accident report," stating they had called the parents and put ice on it (NOPE).Funny you should say this. In gym class in 5th grade we were playing kickball. My foot bounced over the ball & I twisted my ankle trying to keep my balance & fell. The girls in the class walked me in (carrying my leg), but the teacher thought I was crying for attention & made me walk on it. I could HEAR crystals breaking when I walked on it, is the only way to describe the feeling. He then carried me to the principal's office & dumped me at the door. I tried to hop to the nurse's office from there & he let out a huge sigh & carried me to the cot. The ambulance was called & yes, it was broken. Unbelievable. I don't know what ever happened with billing & insurance & all that, but I do know it made me never want to participate in any group sports. Even now I do things solo at the gym, swimming, lifting, riding the bike, etc.

Kati
09-13-2007, 05:47 PM
I hardly doubt they do the things they show on TV. Pulling the jet, I mean that is rather easy, it is al getting it to begin rolling. But I doubt they do all that exercise stuff they show on TV. They might for the 30 seconds they are on the screen, then the rest ofthe time they are doing normal exercise and stuff. Also who knows that it was only a week, it might have been three or four. You never know. I doubt any of it is real, but it is fun to watch and as long as you remember that it is as real as CSI, then have fun:D

watchhershrink
09-13-2007, 06:39 PM
i went to the open casting for this season. i was sad when i didnt get a call back. :(

haha. oh well, im the biggest loser anyway!

OK Lizzy
09-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I heard earlier in the week that the "actual" time spent filming is around six months, but condensed to look like three. This might explain the little "slip-up" a time or two when someone on the show mentioned "two weeks--oops, one week" weigh-in.

But what the heck -- bottom line, we all know WHY the show is on TV -- to make money for some already rich folks. But we enjoy it, and it is motivating to more than a few of us, so we might as well sit back and enjoy the ride!

Sheila53
09-14-2007, 12:25 AM
I doubt any of it is real, but it is fun to watch and as long as you remember that it is as real as CSI, then have fun:D

I just have to laugh when I watch CSI or other crime dramas. What real CSI is going to wear a low-cut blouse every day to work? And wouldn't they leave some of that long, flowing hair at the crime scene? While I enjoy Law and Order, last season when they had the female detective, she was always wearing a tight, cleavage-revealing shirt when she was arresting people or interviewing them. Made for more male viewers, I guess, but I can imagine the ruckus it might cause at a police station if a female detective actually dressed that way.

Did anyone watch the reunion TBL show the week before? There didn't seem to be a whole lot of people who had maintained most or some of their weight loss (like where was Kai?). I'm not sure if that's because people regained their weight, or the producers just took a few of the people who maintained and put them on the show, for the sake of time. Given weight loss statistics, I bet that many regained what they'd lost. Has anyone seen anything that gives the stats for each season as far as maintaining? That would be interesting to know.

GirlyGirlSebas
09-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Looks like Kai is doing well. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/biggest-loser-3-runner-up-kai-hibbard-staying-slim-getting-married-5012.php

I'm so glad....she was my favorite!