General chatter - How SAD is it that...

View Full Version : How SAD is it that...

freiamaya
09-10-2007, 10:24 PM
the general critique of Ms Britney Spears last night at the VMAs was, amongst other things, that she was too FAT.
I thought she looked healthy and curvy. I wish I looked like that. What a sad commentary on our society when her figure is deemed to be "too heavy".

2Fat4myJeans
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
No joke! I hope I look that good once I pop out two kids! I thought she looked great, very healthy and curvy!

Cassie501107
09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
I was bothered by the "fat" thing,...she is NOT FAT.

That said, she was dressed disgustingly (for a woman of ANY size) and her performance was horrid.

freiamaya
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Deliberately NOT addressing her performance, my concern was that the media really zeroed in on her "fatness". I thought that was shameful. I wouldn't be comfortable wearing what she did, but if you think of it as per a bikini, and you saw her on the beach, I think you'd think she was fab...

Robin41
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I don't think that fat was the right word but she did look very puffy, flabby and out of shape. Being in shape is her job; her career is based on it, not on her marginal voice.

There is nothing wrong with her look that sleep, exercise, no drugs and alcohol and decent food wouldn't take care of. You shouldn't look that used up at 25.

Cassie501107
09-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Deliberately NOT addressing her performance, my concern was that the media really zeroed in on her "fatness". I thought that was shameful. I wouldn't be comfortable wearing what she did, but if you think of it as per a bikini, and you saw her on the beach, I think you'd think she was fab...

This is true...she wasn't fat by any stretch of the imagination.

GatorgalstuckinGA
09-10-2007, 11:40 PM
i could care less about how she looked...but the fact that she gave a crappy performace. **** at least back when she lipsynched she had one killer dance routine...last night not only was she pathetically lipsynching, but she tripped multiple times, she could barely move and she looked as if she just didn't want to be there. It was a below mediocere performance. I was very disappointed, i missed the beginning of design star to see that piece of crap called an act. I could care less what she was wearing, just the fact taht she couldn't dance and she seemed so disinterested. very very sad. I think that may have killed brits career.

freiamaya
09-11-2007, 12:23 AM
The point, I guess, of my post was to see if anyone else felt it was sad that a person of normal weight and normal curves was ridiculed on TV for "not being thin enough". Ms. Spears' performance, or lack of, or difficulties in her personal life really wasn't supposed to be the focus of this post. In hindsight, I should have identified her as "performer X", because the issue that I had trouble with was with outlets such as Fox network and the new TMZ show, who showed her performance accompanied by "MOOING" sounds. That's right, TMZ showed her performance and literally compared her to a cow because of her size.
Personally, I think that is outrageous. What a mean-spirited thing to do...
Just my humble opinion...

blondebritbrat17
09-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Yes the commentary that she looked "paunchy" really ticked me off. It certainly made me wonder what I would be called. I think she looks quite good bodywise for popping out two kids back to back like that and for the abuse her body has been put under with all of her problems lately ex:rehab. She did look tired though and her performance wasn't very good.

FrouFrou
09-11-2007, 01:23 AM
I think people are being too mean to her. When she was on the top everyone wanted to be her...now that the idiot ex totally messed her up...all they want to do is rag on her. I really do feel for her because he did a number on her.

About her being fat...I didn't think she looked fat...but what I think is people are thinking of her before her babies and her figure then. They thought she looked good, and was GREAT!

I've never been a fan of her but again...they are too harsh.

melekalikimaka
09-11-2007, 01:46 AM
I didn't see her performance but I did see that get-up she was wearing online. I would love to have that body today than the one I have now. :lol: She looks pretty darn good after having had 2 kids.

redlight
09-11-2007, 02:37 AM
Britney looks better now than in some of the pictures when she was overly skinny.

SoulBliss
09-11-2007, 03:48 AM
MAN! If THAT is "flabby" and "fat", then, what the heck are most of the women here and across America called?

Her body looked fit, healthy, shapely and strong (and she seemed drugged/detached :o ).

PinkyPie
09-11-2007, 03:58 AM
well she does look flabbier than she has in the past. She was all muscle in her hey-day. I think she's pretty much lost it forever, but I never liked her in the first place. Fat though? No! I'M FAT. The media and society really need to get their heads screwed on straight!

ThePrettyOne
09-11-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't think she was "fat" by any means, but I think a little too thick to be wearing a bra and panties to dance in on stage. It takes a SUPER body to pull that off!

Cassie501107
09-11-2007, 10:29 AM
About her weight...she looks healthy and normal, in my opinion. Everyone is calling her fat though, so pretty soon she'll be Nicole Ritchie size,and everyone will rag on her about that too.

lilybelle
09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
I caught a glimpse of the performance that was shown on The View, and yes they did make reference to "she's not skinny anymore". Also on Late Night with Craig Ferguson there were comments about her being fat. I thought her body looked great for someone that has had 2 kids. As for the performance, I thought she looked drugged and did a poor job of lipsyncing.

junebug41
09-11-2007, 11:32 AM
You know, I thought the performance was a joke. She had no business getting up there. She couldn't dance, couldn't sing her own song and looked painfully out of place.

But I thought she looked fine, and no, not the beast that people are making her out to be. In fact, I thought she looked pretty good. Kind of disappointing, really.

Kim_Star060404
09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I agree. I also think it's funny how "big" women like Queen Latifah, Camryn Manheim, Emme, and etc. are praised for being so proud of their ample curves AND that "skinnies" like Calista Flockhart, Keira Knightly, Renee Zellweger, and etc. are praised for their skeletal physique, while NORMAL, AMERICAN women like Britney Spears* are berated for their "flabiness"!! Those "in-between" girls are like a disease in Hollywood. Adoration only comes if you are one of the extremes - and let's face it - neither one is particularly healthy! My DH would much rather I had Britney's current body over Keira's! American men like MEAT!!

*I speak, of course, about her body, not her mental state! ;)

Cassie501107
09-11-2007, 01:17 PM
I agree. I also think it's funny how "big" women like Queen Latifah, Camryn Manheim, Emme, and etc. are praised for being so proud of their ample curves AND that "skinnies" like Calista Flockhart, Keira Knightly, Renee Zellweger, and etc. are praised for their skeletal physique, while NORMAL, AMERICAN women like Britney Spears* are berated for their "flabiness"!! Those "in-between" girls are like a disease in Hollywood. Adoration only comes if you are one of the extremes - and let's face it - neither one is particularly healthy! My DH would much rather I had Britney's current body over Keira's! American men like MEAT!!

Preach!

ShyShy19
09-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Ok I have to say I don't agree that she was too flabby to be in the outfit she was in, I just watched her on youtube and I thought she was gorgeouse, not as skinny as she used to be but definatly HAWT. If I had a body like that I would sooo be showing it off, if I were a performer like she is of course.

I feel bad for her, I was looking at her face while she was performing and she looked like she was really upset about something, I do believe she heard that Silverman person, she looked like she was almost in tears and was trying her best to stay out there and do what she came to do. I've never been a big fan of hers but I think she's had it rough in the spot light and everyone needs to be supporting her, not bashing her.
She looked beautiful.

ButterflyDiva
09-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Thank you. It has never made any sense to me why the media will praise a "big" woman who is comfortable with her body or a someone who is lets say 200lbs and loses about 60 making them 140 but if someone who is usually 110lbs were to gain 30lbs then the media will say there getting fat. It makes no sense.

On the Britney topic. No way did she look fat, true she wasn't as muscular as she was when she was younger but she was in no way fat. Also while I agree her performance was bad I'm kind of getting sick of hearing how "disasterous" it was. Yes it was bad and boring. But worst ever. No. Also I agree that during the whole performance she looked worried and also scared. But wouldn't you be when everyone keeps saying how your going to mess this up. I just feel bad for her.

drake3272004
09-11-2007, 11:25 PM
She looks good for having two kids! People need to just get over it, she looked good.............the performance though that's another thing.

If anyone is interested there is a new video on youtube called Britney Spears VMA truth, apparently she had a wardrobe malfunction with her heel and that's why the dancing sucked.

K8-EEE
09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Well compared to how show used to look she looks chunky but that's not her main problem, that's for sure -- but I wouldn't say she looked "healthy," at the VMA, she seemed like a stumbling zombie!

Here's a question I have: What is the point of wearing underwear with a big chunky "mic pack" sticking out of the back of them, when you're not even really singing???

Seriously I would love to be as "fat" as she is, however, she would have looked a thousand times better in a little cocktail dress or what the wardrobers had for her (a corset-type getup.) The sequined underwear wasn't really cutting it.

EZMONEY
09-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Didn't see the show ~ saw some pictures, she looked fine to me ~ not the 'old Britney....but then I haven't made Angie get me her calendar for Christmas, for a couple of years. ;)

K8-EEE
09-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Notice the intricate wiring it takes for Ms. Spears to lipsync. But the weird thing is it looks like the dummy mic actually has an outfit to match that getup she was wearing....like, somebody sewed it a little mic dress. :dizzy: Classy!

It is all just too insane for me!

I date myself by remembering singers who could actually SING, like, without all the cornball stripper schtick.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/gallery/photos.php?yr=2007&mon=09&evt=britney-vmas&pic=britney-spears-vmas-performance-2007-52.jpg

jellydisney
09-12-2007, 08:06 AM

Actually, I have to disagree with you on one point there. I don't think the "skinnies" are praised. The celebrities you mention (Calista, Keira, and Renee) have ALL fought off vicious media attacks claiming they are anorexic.

And the "large women", like Queen Latifah, are only praised when they LOSE weight. In fact, in general, I think the only praising I ever see from the media is when women lose weight. Examples include Queen Latifah, Renee Zellweger, Hilary Duff, Kirstie Alley, Reese Witherspoon, Star Jones.... Everyone one else falls into the "flabby" or "anorexic" categories--there's no in-between.

The whole media exploitation of women's bodies just to sell newspaper and tv ads is really a sickening symptom of how degenerate entertainment culture has become.

aphil
09-12-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm not a Spears fan at all...and I have issues with her lack of parenting skills, lack of underwear in public, etc. and I didn't think her performance was good at all...BUT:

I don't think she is fat. At all. One thing that I have struggled with, is the fact that you lose muscle mass when you are pregnant. You do, your body simply becomes softer, and that happens even if you exercise. It takes a while to get all that muscle mass back. She had two kids pretty much back to back, and this soon after, she isn't going to look like she did when she was 18 years old...she is older now, and a mother of two children. Your body changes.

Also, she does have abdominal muscle, you can see it. She has been doing abwork. She does have a bit of extra skin-but it wasn't "fat". Unless your babies are 5 pounds, most women lose that extreme skin tautness in the abs area after a baby-especially the second one. Mine bounced back pretty well after my first, but after the skin is stretched out like that a second or third time, it can't bounce back to the way it was before. The only way to get it back really, if you had decent or large sized kids, is a tummy tuck. Why should a woman feel like she HAS to get a tuck in order to not be deemed "fat" onstage. It is ridiculous.

I did feel sorry for her on this one...there is nothing like going out there and trying to do something when you know and hear everyone heckling you.

Something that also ticked me off was Jay Leno talking about her being at the buffet table too much, or something to that effect. I want to knock his head off...because what would HE look like in bikini underwear? I think men who don't have good bodies themselves shouldn't bash women for not being perfection. They have no right, especially since Leno has never had kids-at least she has an excuse, he has none.

K8-EEE
09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, this woman has become a multi-millionaire pretty much by gyrating around stripper-style while lipsyncing to an electronically manipulated voicetrack.

Of course if she shows up looking less fabulous than she used to, there's gonna be some flack....and let's face it in a stage full of dancers she was the flabbiest one up there.

Sure she looks good compared to me and Jay Leno but the difference is we aren't trying to sell tickets to have people gawk at us strutting around half naked.

For that matter I don't feel bad for Kirstie Alley - she makes millions by telling all us other fat ladies to "call Jenny" and give them a bunch of money!

So she can't be doing these interviews like "how I kept it off" and we aren't supposed to notice that she gained a big chunk of it back? She weighs 145 like I do, which is to say, in my dreams!

Hey when you're in the lucrative business of self-exploitation you have to put on your big girl panties about stuff like that, IMO. Goes with the territory.

techwife
09-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I was actually sad to see her performance. I felt sorry for her...she certainly didn't seem like the old Britney. What a case of self-destructive behavior she is. She seemed really self conscious and totally off her mark.

I agree that she 'looked' body-wise, great for someone that just had two kids back to back. But other than that, she looked like crap...from the awful job of lip synching to that awful job of extensions in her hair. And I felt for her. She looked like she's at the brink of having a major breakdown. I feel awful for her and mad at the people that put her up on that stage (or allowed her to be there) like her manager and MTV. Really. They should have said, "maybe next year, Brit...you have a few things to work on before you're Britney Spears again."

sfj
09-12-2007, 12:04 PM
[
I feel bad for her, I was looking at her face while she was performing and she looked like she was really upset about something, I do believe she heard that Silverman person, she looked like she was almost in tears and was trying her best to stay out there and do what she came to do. I've never been a big fan of hers but I think she's had it rough in the spot light and everyone needs to be supporting her, not bashing her.
She looked beautiful.[/quote]

I read on one of the gossip sites that she could see herself on big t.v.s all around the venue while she was performing and that after she got off stag she started crying about how awful she looked.

K8-EEE
09-12-2007, 01:39 PM
It's true that lots of celebs older than her (Gwen Paltrow, Elle McPherson, Heidi Klum, Gwen Steffani ) seem to have the same body pre-and post-pregnancy, but they're freaks, most of us can't pulll that off!

However with Brit, she needs to face up that she doesn't look like she did at age 17 and dress accordingly. I agree that she's not fat. but she does have alcoholic bloat look which affects her looks and performance, her costume was unforgiving, and she would not have made the first cut for a chorus line anywhere in Vegas, the way she looked at the VMA. That's just a fact.

What I really suspect from her recent behavior is that she is self-medicating with the booze and pills for a very real and I'm sure very painful case of post-partum depression -- the best thing would if she got off of all the drinking, diet pills etc., and addressed that or whatever addiction or underlying medical condition is causing her deterioration.

I'm not a Spears fan at all...and I have issues with her lack of parenting skills, lack of underwear in public, etc. and I didn't think her performance was good at all...BUT:

I don't think she is fat. At all. One thing that I have struggled with, is the fact that you lose muscle mass when you are pregnant. You do, your body simply becomes softer, and that happens even if you exercise. It takes a while to get all that muscle mass back. She had two kids pretty much back to back, and this soon after, she isn't going to look like she did when she was 18 years old...she is older now, and a mother of two children. Your body changes.

mom2fivesweeties
09-13-2007, 12:27 AM
I'd love to look that "fat". Jay Leno is dissing her tonight - lovely - he always is hateful to heavy people - "How fat are we getting in America?" I wrote to him one time and told him he was ignorant, but of course why would he care?
Brit has some issues but she looked great as far as I'm concerned.
Lori