Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Pictures Can Kill a Mood

So I've been feeling pretty good lately...lots of compliments, finished a half marathon, buying sizes I haven't seen since I was a kid, back on track with my plan this week so I can start losing again...

Nothing like a picture or two to KILL that feeling.

I went out on the website for my half marathon to see the pictures they try to sell you. The ones of me are HIDEOUS. Don't get me wrong, I'm ridiculously proud of myself for running that race, and I know I've come a long way. I do feel good about that, as I should.

But when I saw those pictures and saw how thick I still am in the middle and how my legs look, I honestly felt like crying. I had to hide the way I felt, though, because I was looking at them with my husband and I didn't want him to see my disappointment. In some of the pictures, you can see the ripples in my legs from my extra skin on my thighs, and it's so awful.

It doesn't quite make me want to give up, but it does make me feel a little stupid for going out and running with my legs showing all the time and thinking I looked ok. I'll still do it, because I have to, but I know I won't feel as good about myself.

Sorry, I try to be upbeat and inspiring here at 3FC, and I've had a pretty good run so far, but today's a rough day. I just had to vent to my good friends here!! I'm trying not to cry!!

Please remember that I know how lucky I am to have come this far and to be in the position I'm in. I just hate to see pictures that make me feel bad about myself after all the work I've done. All the miles I've run, and my legs still look like that? Crazy.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #2  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I am sorry that you felt so bad. I didn't see the pics, but I think some times we see ourselves worse than the truth. I am sure you don't look as horrible as you made it sound. You have done an awesome job loosing so much weight. You are an inspiration.
cheryl

Last edited by hellokitty81668; 09-09-2007 at 05:36 PM.
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

You've got to focus on the great achievement of running the half-marathon. You must be fit to be able to do that even if carrying some excess baggage.

I gave up my last weightloss efforts when I realised that after losing 55lb I was still a 'fat woman' when I still couldn't get into UK size 18 jeans. It just seemed at that point as if all my efforts had been in vain. That was over 3 years ago and I put all of the 55lb back on and am now fighting again to get if off. I just hope I don't reach the same point again as it really is better being X pounds lighter whatever way you slice it.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Lisa I worry about struggling with that kinda thing in the future too, but try and focus more on how you FEEL you must feel wonderful and so much more healthy. I know we want to look better too... but we can't focus on that. I remeber last time I lost a bunch of weight I had some photos taken too and couldn't beleive how big I still looked.

As far as running if it makes you more confident wear runners leggins... but I don't think you have to cover that up. Those ripples are a badge of how far you've come and anyone who 'notices' them would probably be more impressed more then anything with where you began. That being said... I'd probably wear the pants myself but I'm kinda shy that way.

CONGRATS on running that race. That is SO amazing.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'm really sorry some of your joy in your AMAZING accomplishment was taken away. I'm sure everyone here can relate; I haven't seen a bit of difference in pictures yet, and I am beginning to despair that I will ever make any more progress. But I haven't given up yet.

I don't know if this will help at all, but reading about your running victory has been very inspirational for me. I struggle so much with running, but reading how far you've come reminds me that it *is* possible, even if it takes me a year to get to the point where I can run a mile.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Thank you so much for your responses, ladies. It really does help.

See, here's the thing. Every other time I've seen pictures of myself in the last few months, I've been thrilled with the difference. Even when I can see my legs in the pictures! These "action shots" just happened to show the extra skin moving around, and made me feel terrible. I'm trying to focus on how far I've come, but I can't help being a little pissed that I still have to look at pictures and feel bad about myself. I guess I'm being a little silly!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #7  

You speak my mind! I had a picture experience just yesterday. It's soooo depressing to work hard, lose weight and then see the pictures that aren't what we think ourselves to be like.

But - WOW - you have come SO far! You've lost so much weight and to run a half-marathon is amazing. Before you know it your pictures will match the internal vision you have of yourself!
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #8  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hey Lisa

It's totally okay to 'be a little silly' now and then... but try to see it as motivational instead of negative... and Don't Look at Those Pictures Again! Hear me?!! Go look at some that you are proud of, instead!

You are an awesome inspiration here (and on your Cross Country track, I bet!) and don't you forget it!

Okay, lecture over

Heather x

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 09-09-2007 at 05:52 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ugh I've tried writing this note 5 times LOL, i don't wanna sound corny and "rah rah rah", there's nothing worse when you don't feel like it.....

1) sorry you felt crappy when you should have been on cloud nine

2) pictures can suck sometimes, i've seen hideous pics of thin friends too!

3) uhhhh take a look a pic of your 100 lbs. heavier!!! that'll smack some sense into you as to what an amazing million mile journey you've taken!!

4) buy different run wear!

5) those ripples were just doing the "WAVE" in support of your victory!!! If my legs did the WAVE they'd smack me in the head and knock me out!!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Running a half marathon is absolutly amazing! And you have come so far. I know sometimes it is hard when you see yourself and you are not where you want to be but remember how much better off you are now then you would have been. A little trick I use when I see photos of myself and get disappointed that I am not thinner is I take one of my starting pictures, any picture really from when I was 300 pounds, and I take the picture that I'm looking at that made me uphappy and I paste them together in a paint document. It reminds me of how far I come and how good I look now.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #11  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Oh dear, dear, dear Lisa Marie...

YOU ARE A TOTAL INSPIRATION and dont you forget it!!! I'm not sure how it feels but I can try and identify with it - and I'm sorry that you felt rotten, but if it makes you feel any better... I wish that my legs were waving at me as I run... no such luck yet but just to let you know what I run in may put a smile on your face...

hmm... where there is a will there is a way. I wear a bigger headscarf though and with less embroidery on the dress, and yet it is full length (right down to the ground) and full arm length. I pull my jogging bottoms on underneath and my trainers/sneakers and I start running!!
Good luck anyways with your running... KEEP AT IT please don't let it discourage you. I love what Trazey said on point number five.... they're definately waving celebrating your victory!!
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #12  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Well, here is my .02 for what that is worth...

There are burn clinics (I know of one in Florida) that pay for you to come to them and for the surgery to remove access skin after loosing large amounts of weight the 'healthy' way. They then use the skin for graphs for burn victims. I am not sure what the amount of weight has to be, but it is worth looking into.

You are feeling so good about yourself and that is awesome and you ran a freaking half marathon, that is totaly freaking awesome. Then you look at your pics and oh. my. gawd. Yeah I know that feeling. You feel so good and sexy and then the truth is staring at you from the camera.

The truth is there and it sucks, but at least it is flabby skin not fatty skin! At least you are standing in the street with your number on your back, instead at a buffet with your friends and a plate of food.

I think you are awesome!
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #13  
Ironman in Training

I think we all understand the disapointment of a bad picture when you've been feeling so good otherwise, but like someone said earlier even thin people take bad photos that make them look larger then they are. Its bound to happen. Don't let anything take away from the accomplishment you've done you seriously are mega-inspirational to a girl who wants to start running soon!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #14  
Ironman in Training

"There are burn clinics (I know of one in Florida) that pay for you to come to them and for the surgery to remove access skin after loosing large amounts of weight the 'healthy' way. They then use the skin for graphs for burn victims. I am not sure what the amount of weight has to be, but it is worth looking into"

Is that really true? Wow. Wondered if skin with lots of strechmarks counts. I'll have to research that when I get to where I'm going.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I had heard that use of excess skin for grafts was only an urban legend. Kati, can you provide more information, such as the name of the Florida burn clinic, so we can check it out?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote