Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Biker chicks chat-September

Well, this thread has been flopping big time the last couple months, but I'll give it another shot. Roadie, mountain biker, stationary bikers, and spinners come post!

Got in 8.5 miles on riding my mountain bike on the road this morning. 47 minutes. Road bike is in the shop, and the whole thing felt really slow in comparison, but it was better than stationary.

Who's riding?

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I'm glad you started this thread! I was going to resurrect an old one yesterday, but I wound up posting in Exercise Accountability instead.

I finally bought my new bike yesterday! It's a Specialized Hybrid--light and fast, but still comfy for riding around town. It's also silver and shiny. Hooray! Bf bought a Trek hybrid and we're about to go out on our first ride together! I've picked a nice 15 mile route through the wheatfields and I'll be interested to compare the time and calories-burned with doing that same route on my old antique mountain bike. It should be much quicker.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Great ride this morning!

Not a good ride; it was a great ride. Thing is, though, it was ON A HORSE.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #4  

I rode this weekend. Downhill mountain biking in Whistler. Rode my sister's Kona dual suspension. Had an epic day. Didn't fall at all, but was really tired. It's kind of like skiing or snowboarding, your quads get very very tired. You're up out of your seat the whole time, you only rest on the chairlift. Anyhow, every time I do it, I remember how much fun it is! I can't believe it's September already.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #5  

Page 2 again!

17.4 miles today. 1h11m rolling time. Good ride. Just got my bike tuned up and it was smooooth.

Anne
Old 09-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I don't know if you could call me a biker chick or not but I've been doing a little bike riding. I bought a cheapy $99 bike a couple months ago just to have something to go up the road with my daughter on. It's not much exercise since I'm always going slow so she can keep up (she's only 7) but it's better than nothing.

My friend/neighbor just recently got a bike too though and the two of us have started going through the week when the kids are in school. Not sure how far we go but I'd guess our route is about 5k's at least, probably more. We are doing the same route until it gets easy for us, then we plan to venture out farther. Biking is hard. *grin* And we live on the top of the biggest hill known to man so coming home is the worst. It's straight up and LONG. Hehe, though I always have to stop and wait for her to catch up to me coming up it, and I'm up to only having to stop twice to make it up. Yay me!
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #7  

Goin, of course you're a biker. Please post. Help keep us off page 2.

Longish ride for me this morning, 24 miles, 1h40m. It was a nice day, and a good ride with a group. Probably off the bike until next Thursday now to get some running and swimming in.

Anne
Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #8  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

marking my spot since I"m going to get a starter bike on Friday
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #9  

Good luck on the bike buying mk at 321! That's exciting! Once you buy it, make sure you ride it, that's the key. Feels really weird at first, but you get your "bike legs" soon.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Anne, it's AMAZING how much SLOWER mountain bikes go vs. road bikes. It also depends on the brand and weight of the bike, though. I don't own a true mountain bike - YET - just a cheap Wal Mart all terrain bike, but I like it anyway. I don't particularily enjoy riding on pavement with it, as I have a road bike that goes much faster, but I often prefer riding on dirt and trails for fun.

I used to do BMX racing and freestyle when I was younger, and I think it would be fun to get back into it. I just need to obtain a BMX bike somehow. I'm too broke to buy one.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #11  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

thanks I ended up not being able to get the bike, but i do have one picked out

I used to do cross-country races on back roads when I was in my teens, and I didn't realize how much I missed it until I used a friends bike a couple weeks ago to ride with my kids. Now I'm anxious to get started, even though it won't be bike weather much longer
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #12  

mkat, we have the same problem over at my house. We finally decided to lay out the big bucks and buy nice bikes, just as it is starting to become less pleasant to ride into the country to use them! We've been going out each Sunday, regardless, but I'm going to have to invest in some weather-appropriate clothing if we're to keep this up for a few more months. Cycling is a VERY expensive sport!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm now having to use my lights on the way to work and the way home. Not fun. I'm still trying to cycle twice a week, but I'm not doing the long routes in I did over summer, I'm just going the direct way. I'm hoping to get some long rides in at weekends once my life calms down a bit and I've got my marathons out of the way.

The other thing I never realised was how much colder it is on a bike than it is running in similar temperatures, I think it's the wind chill that does it, but I already seem to be piling on the layers.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #14  

I had to dig this thread up from page 3! Poor biker chicks!

I just got back from my regular Sunday ride with bf. We went on a completely different route this time--a little bit longer (18 miles) and more scenic too. There were a couple of huge hills with fantabulous long downhill stretches. It was fun! But my wrists and hands are stiff and cold. I definitely need cycling gloves if I'm going to manage this for a couple more months!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #15  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

a biker chicks thread!

I got a beautiful ride in today - we have an amazing 30 bike trail along the river. Can't beat it!! Only did around 15 miles today, tho.

I've also been riding to work a couple days a week, loving the gas savings.

Has anyone ever tried indoor mountain bikes? At our gym they are called X-Bike. Hecka fun, they have handlebars that move back and forth like a real bike. Great upper body workout as a bonus. And no worries when the weather gets ugly. You do have to imagine your own lovely scenery, tho.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote