Does it Work? - Calorie shifting diet...

View Full Version : Calorie shifting diet...

mom247
09-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Has anyone tried the calorie shifting diet... works on the premise that your body adjusts itself and burns according to calorie intake, so shifting number of calories every few days confuses your body into burning more ???? Anyone????? does this work?

Heather
09-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I have no idea if you're really confusing your body, but I think for many of us, mentally it's nice to have some days we can eat more, knowing that other days we will eat less. The weight loss comes when the calories you eat over time are less than the calories you burn. So provided your average for a week is in the right range, it works!!

laurie2275
09-09-2007, 01:26 PM
I know that if you look up "calorie cycling" that a lot of professional body builders do this to lose weight quickly. There are mixed reviews on this but most people say that even if it doesnt work to increase weight loss that it still works some and is nice to have days when you can have more calories. This does not mean having high fat foods though. From what I gather you would take your median caloric intake and go 500 less 2 days, 500 more 2 days and median 3 days. During the week you would have the same calories as if you did not do this but would be "fooling" you metabolism to lose weight. I am trying it. If you decide to let me know, we can compare notes and see if it works long term.

Laurie

rockinrobin
09-09-2007, 04:22 PM
It CAN work. But it all boils down to the thing that really works - consuming less calories then your body needs, so that it has to use the stored fat as energy. THAT'S what produces weight loss.

meowee
09-11-2007, 10:49 AM
IMHO . . . I think "calorie-shifting / calorie-cycling / the WW Wendie Plan " or whatever you want to call it is kind of a natural event for most people. It is very, very difficult to eat the exact same number of calories every day, day after day, for any length of time. So, as long as your average daily calories over the course of a week (or whatever reasonable time-frame suits your system) is within your desired range, I think you are going to get the benfits of (a) controlling you calories, and (b) cycling your calories, without any real thought or plan being involved. :shrug:

Heather
09-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Linda -- I think you nailed it. Calorie cycling just kind of happens for me...

Sassygirl18
09-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Calorie shifting works for me. I call it "zig-zagging" and I've been doing it since January and have been having steady weight loss every week that I've been dilgent with it. First I determined that a good calorie level for me to lose weight at a moderate rate is 1800. Then I designed a week with calorie levels like this:

If you add those values up, it's the same total as 1800/day. It's great because there are a couple higher calorie days in there where I can really enjoy myself. I don't restrict myself from eating any foods at all...everything's game. I just restrict the calories. I can also move those values around each week to fit my calendar. So in other words, if I have a dinner party next Sunday, I'll make Sunday my 3000 day. And maybe the next week I have a big lunch planned for a Tuesday...I'll make Tuesday of that week my 3000.

No food is off limit. I still eat cookies, cake, etc. The only difference is, I eat portions that fit into my daily calories. As long as I do that, I lose.

Reddalice
01-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't this be something similiar to WW? What I mean is, don't you get something like a weekly amount of points and can't you save points for special days? If this is true, this "calorie shifting" may be effective and proof of that would be this plan reflected in other successful weight loss approaches. I don't subscribe to any single diet plan and am not totally positive.

rockinrobin
01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
It all boils down to keeping your calorie allotment over a 7 day period, BELOW what you need. Creating a DEFICIT. If purposely shifting your calories day to day HELPS you to stay in control and stick to your plan, then it will "WORK".

I find I naturally shift my calories. They are rarely the same day to day.

oneslimchick
01-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Dear Sassygirl,

Thank you for the information on calorie shifting, I found it very helpful. I just have one question - how often do you eat in between your meals during the day e.g. every 2 - 3 hours or just when you get hungry? Is there a time limit for how long you can go without eating?

Well done for the weight you've lost so far. Keep up the good work!

OSC

Calorie shifting works for me. I call it "zig-zagging" and I've been doing it since January and have been having steady weight loss every week that I've been dilgent with it. First I determined that a good calorie level for me to lose weight at a moderate rate is 1800. Then I designed a week with calorie levels like this:

If you add those values up, it's the same total as 1800/day. It's great because there are a couple higher calorie days in there where I can really enjoy myself. I don't restrict myself from eating any foods at all...everything's game. I just restrict the calories. I can also move those values around each week to fit my calendar. So in other words, if I have a dinner party next Sunday, I'll make Sunday my 3000 day. And maybe the next week I have a big lunch planned for a Tuesday...I'll make Tuesday of that week my 3000.

No food is off limit. I still eat cookies, cake, etc. The only difference is, I eat portions that fit into my daily calories. As long as I do that, I lose.

CherryBlossom
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I thought it also worked in that it kept your body from going into starvation mode? I mean if I ate 1200 calories for 3 days my metabloism would start going down...but then if I go 3 days at 2200 calories...my body's like WTF...and that prevents a plateau. Oh well, that's what someone told me.

Mizu
01-09-2008, 10:10 PM
It's helping me lose weight, and I didn't even know I was 'calorie shifting'. I just do not eat more than 1500 calories, period. Of course, this varies. Sometimes I'll eat 1200, sometimes less. Sometimes more. I'm losing weight, so it's working somehow.

wan2bskinnyagain
01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
hi dose any one have more detail on calorie shifting? a plan or something?

nelie
01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
As far as I know, there is no real calorie shifting plan but I've heard it many times, usually called zig zagging.

Basically you have a caloric goal (say 1600). So your average is that caloric goal but your daily goals are different. One day would be 1400, another 1700, another 1500, etc.

I've done zig zagging in a way but basically it is getting a treat meal on the weekend and eating stricter during the week.

jillybean720
01-30-2008, 11:17 AM
nelie's right--there's really no set plan for zig-zagging calories. You can easily make up your own by taking what your daily calorie goal is, eating that once a week, and then eating, say 300 higher and 300 lower for 3 days a week each. Just work it out so your average is still the same as if you'd eaten the same number of calories every day.

I had a LOT of success with this in the past. I'm currently on a different plan because my high-calorie days were getting way out of control :o

wan2bskinnyagain
01-30-2008, 04:24 PM
thanks so much for the info! i think im going to try it im sick of being fat. im 268lbs and on the inside the real me is 135lbs and strangely enough when i dream about myself im skinny. so some part of me remembers skinny. now im off to find out how many calories i need to reduce to start getting smaller! thanks again!!:D

onadiet
07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, there are so many forum threads about calorie shifting, but in none of them I found a clear statement that this diet method actually works.
Basically, if you want to lose weight you need to reduce the number of calories to a point where your body starts burning the excess fat. What difference does it make if you eat 1400 calories a day or shift the calories and end up with the same amount of calories on the average?

JulieJ08
07-11-2008, 11:47 AM

See now, that would drive me crazy, I like consistency in my food habits & intake. I mean, naturally, there is variation, but not that much. But that's the way this world is, some thrive on what drives others batty.

bamachick38
07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
I can tell you that it works also; it has helped me bust through a couple of plateaus. I know that I would have done that eventually but I am convinced that calorie cycling is what did it for me.

evince
08-12-2008, 01:34 AM
I think I'm going to try this out.
Should you also increase your exercise on the days you have higher caloric intake?

Jennie527
08-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I think I'm going to try this out.
Should you also increase your exercise on the days you have higher caloric intake?

I would say no, you do not need to. Your average daily intake of calories should be the same so no extra exercise is needed. So long as you don't slack off on your lower calorie days that is.

Tibzy tinkletoes
09-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Hiya, im interested in starting the calorie shifting, where do i get information on it? is there a book like there is with the Atkins?

Drewster
10-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Just here for a single remark, came by this thread wile googling on "calorie shifting". Am molecular biology student have some expertize :cool: It all boils down to keeping your calorie allotment over a 7 day period, BELOW what you need. Creating a DEFICIT. That's not entirely true, your body is designed to deal with the amount of food you ingest. If you ingest slightly less than normal you will just burn less. This doesn't happen consciously and you normally don't notice it. You will notice it when you seriously reduce you calorie intake, you get tired really easily and generally don't feel to good. Even if you have a generous fat reserve. Your body will go in starvation mode, conserving energy. Fat is for long term storage, you body has other ways to store energy for the short term and it doesn't "like" burning fat. Starving you body is not the way to go, as when you return to a normal diet while you're body is on conservation mode you will gain fat real fast...

The same happens the other way around, if you eat a Mars extra each day, you will not gain the weight equivalent of fat. You will be using more energy. Not that you wont gain any extra weight if you eat a mars a day...:), just not as much as you would expect.

So either way, from this you can't really conclude that the calorie shifting method will work. As the fat you burn on a low cal. day you will gain on a high cal. day... Perhaps combining high cal. days with exercise would do the trick.

bb

modbass
06-04-2009, 03:33 AM
i am new to the whole calorie shifting and am looking for a FREE vegetarian diet plan. being unemployed does not allow for a lot of extra money to be spent.

also i was wondering about how many hours a day you all work out? i currently weight 265 and would like to get down to 200 by the end of summer. my wife wants to lose about 60 lbs in about the same time period. i know we have our work cut out for us.

my wife is going to try the "Slim in 6" work out and i am starting a 9 mile bike ride daily and now that i have read about the calorie shifting we are going to incorperate it as well.

any and all input is appreciated

Jeremy

Jennifer 3FC
06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Jeremy, there are a few good vegetarian plans out there... all are books, but you can get the premise of the plan on the websites, and also here in the Veggie Forum (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121) Popular vegetarian diet plans are McDougall (high grains, low fruit), Eat To Live (high fruit, low grains) and Engine 2 (mostly a health based diet, with weight loss as a nice side effect). Eat To Live has a subscription forum, but you don't have to be on their forum to do the diet.

breakingdawnlvr
10-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone,

After reading your posts I have decided to try this. I am now heavier than i was when I was pregnant with my 7 year old. Since I have had him I have done nothing but yo-yo. I didnt have this problem when I had my girls but I guess my body found it hard to adjust after having 3 kids. If you have any suggestions I would be greatful.

nursetrina
02-02-2010, 06:08 AM
So how do you decide on your daily calorie goal? The number you want to average out to at the end of the week?

thesame7lbs
10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
wan2bskinny, a lot of people use freedieting.com to help determine a zig-zag plan, but really, like everyone has said, you can do it however you like as long as your calories average your target number.

I did it while losing, I'm doing it in maintenance. It fits my life, because I like to go out to eat, drink wine, eat cake, etc -- so I need those high days! I'm more than happy to make up for it with some low days.

Rosinante
10-24-2010, 06:20 PM
I think I might zig for a bit ~ it's just that every so often I need something new to focus on - I get bored quite easily!

Krazy
10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
I've been zig-zaging my calories for the past two weeks and it seems to be working really well. I plan it so I have a 1,000 calorie deference between each day.

ma26
10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Wan2beskinnuagain- here a website that calculates needs calories and includes a "zig zag" option.
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

steinanwine
11-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Ma26, thank you for the link to the Calorie Counter.

I am going to give the calorie shifting a try. I have counted calories and points before and since so many people say this zigzagging method has helped them I am going to give it a shot.

New to the community so I hope I have good news to report in time. Just cannot get discouraged.

Thanks for all the info!

RoseRodent
11-29-2010, 04:53 AM
J Starving you body is not the way to go, as when you return to a normal diet while you're body is on conservation mode you will gain fat real fast...

and ain't that where most of us have gone wrong!!! :p

jilly6
11-29-2010, 09:13 AM
I am going to try this. It seems like a good way to still lose weight, have a cheat day and not feel deprived.

popspry
11-29-2010, 03:13 PM
I have been doing this for 3 weeks so tomorrow when I weigh-in I am nervous to see if I lost weight with thanksgiving being my high-calorie day (2500).

steinanwine
11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
I have been doing this for 3 weeks so tomorrow when I weigh-in I am nervous to see if I lost weight with thanksgiving being my high-calorie day (2500).

popspry, do you feel like you fit in to your clothes better or anything? I had my first day of calorie shifting and it went well. Wrote everything down and still have 100 calories left.

I was wondering, are you supposed to eat exactly the amount of calories you are allotted for that day? Is it bad if I eat less than what I was scheduled to eat for the day? I am assuming no because few calories is better for you if you usually overeat.

I hope your weigh in goes well popspry! :carrot:

dinamomof4
05-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I thought there was more to it than just calories. Someone told me that you also have to watch your fat intake and carb intake. I don't know for sure though....

I also heard that it does keep your body from detecting starvation mode so that you burn calories steadily instead of having to adjust for plateaus. My friend lost 20 pounds in a month doing this...she is supposed to let me read the book she got about it. And, YES there is a plan for it...you can buy a book on it.

If anyone has the book in a format that can be emailed, please let me know?

Thanks,
Dina :-)

yoyo mama
05-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I really believe in calorie shifting. It just makes sense for keeping your metabolism up. Since I'm on weight watchers, I use something called the Wendie Plan to help me determine my point distribution. Here's a calculator that helps.

Wendie Plan (http://www.wendie-plan.com)

Naaanccy
06-05-2011, 06:14 PM
So? Im Dumb And dont Wanna Mess Up Haha, If My Total Everyday is only 1360 calories a day . what would be a good list of numbers that would even out to that without actually only eating that everyday? do you guys get me? lol