General chatter - I am sorry but this is just plain stupid and I think bordering on abuse of power

sfj
09-08-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296155,00.html

modkittn
09-08-2007, 01:22 PM
That is just ridiculous. I hope McDonald's backs her and helps pay for her legal fees to prove how absolutely ridiculous that is.

SoulBliss
09-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Mc Donald's makes their cow patties on site? :?:

modkittn
09-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Mc Donald's makes their cow patties on site? :?:

:rofl: I didn't think about that but yeah, aren't they frozen??

sfj
09-08-2007, 01:53 PM
I am thinking that maybe in the nicer McDonalds - the cafe type places they might.

thistoo
09-08-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think there's any 'bordering' about it. Talk about frivilious waste of taxpayer dollars.

lizziness
09-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow!

I would have thought this was a joke - and since it's Fox news... I still have to wonder... *LOL*

Honestly - don't most people go into McDonalds thinking there is a good chance that they will be getting sick?! I know I do.

kaplods
09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Maybe, maybe not. When I was a probation officer, we had several cases of "assault" charges being filed because of fast food workers putting things in police officers' food and beverages (The fast food industry, as some may or may not be aware, is one of the few places career criminals, jerks, and idiots can readily find work).

We encountered or heard reports from other jurisdictions of cases in which people put insects, fingernails, spit, urine and seminal fluid (one of my former probationees, unfortunally did so in a local cop's Taco bell Taco ewwwww), bandaids, bleach and other cleaning chemicals.... into the officers food and beverages.

I do find it difficult to believe that any McDonalds makes their own patties, and if so, it would have had to be a HUGE amount of overseasoning to make a cop sick enough to go to the ER (though at one bite, he may have felt the need to go to the hospital to have his stomache pumped and the item tested for other tampering such as cleaning fluids.

EZMONEY
09-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I believe the cop.

LindseyLouWho
09-08-2007, 03:32 PM
To me, it depends on the timing and the video footage. If it shows that her forearm accidentally knocked the seasoning over into the food, for example, before the cop came in and ordered, then unless she's a psychic there's no way that she was intentionally trying to harm the cop.

kaplods
09-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Oh and the kid that "you knowed" into the taco, said he "accidentally sneezed" on the taco (that is it was actually snot and not um male fluid in the taco). Of course with testing they could determine what it was, and whose it was, but my question is didn't anyone notice him taking the guy's taco to the bathroom (or, um, not taking it to the bathroom).

kaplods
09-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I did listen to the full report, and I expect that there is a lot more to the story, and it should legitimately be sorted out in court. They charged her with Reckless conduct (a minor misdemeanor) and not felony assault (which is usually the charge they start with, in my experience, with suspected food tampering of a cops' food). This may mean that they acknowledge the tampering might have been accidental, or the cop filing the charges was actually being generous. Also the tampering happened on the night shift, which is notorious for food tamperings of this sort.

If the manager did as the girl said and served the burgers anyway, she could also be charged. Thinking of it this way. Cops know that it can happen. People have been known to put disgusting and dangerous things into cops' foods for a prank or for revenge. A cop tastes a burger that is "not right" and doesn't know what besides salt and pepper has been added to his food. As a precaution, the responsible thing to do is take the burger into evidence, have it tested, and have his stomache pumped "just in case." This wastes the cops time, is very unpleasant for the cop, costs the taxpayers money
for the medical expenses, and investigation of the incident.

Yep, I believe the charges are completely appropriate.

veggielover
09-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Maybe, maybe not. When I was a probation officer, we had several cases of "assault" charges

Assaulted by a-salted burger!:D

kaplods
09-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Oh I missed the pun, that's funny!

jtammy
09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Colleen, You always have such a good way of making me see another point of view and thinking deeper about an issue. Thanks!

kaplods
09-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks Tammy, I try to see all sides. They always say there at least three sides to every story, so I usually at least try to consider as many possibilities as I can. But often you don't know what you don't know, you know? (How's that for confusion?)

This is often my problem with the media, it can make the unreasonable appear reasonable, and the reasonable seem insane. It's all in the presentation and the backstory, which most of us will never know.

bargoo
09-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Don't forget what happened at Wendy's with the finger in the chili, turned to be completelf false, this woman was arrested , went to trial, was convicted and is now serving time.

kaplods
09-08-2007, 06:34 PM
And I did notice that the cop mentioned salt AND pepper being excessive in his burger (as in perhaps to cover the taste of something nastier perhaps - it was at least a logical assumption on his part). The defendant on the video, admits only to the salt, saying the top fell off and it accidentally poured rather than sprinkled into the meat. If it was also overpeppered, did she "accidentally" pour salt and then "accidentally" pour pepper into the meat? That doesn't sound very likely.

bargoo
09-08-2007, 06:47 PM
If I was served a meal thar was too salty I would return it to the kitchen I wouldn't eat it.

kaplods
09-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I doubt that he did eat more than one bite (and may not have even swallowed the bite he took). The reason he probably went to the hospital "sick" was in case there had been something more hazardous, like cleaning fluids, lsd or other dangerous drugs (it's been known to happen) that the salt and pepper was added to disguise.

It may sound paranoid, but since it's been known to happen, and not once but repeatedly, the cop couldn't do anything, but assume the worst (which would no doubt, make him more than a little ligitimately nauseous).

Even as a probation officer, I hated having to be so paranoid that I couldn't accept a cup of coffee from a probationees' grandmother, but it was what we were trained to do (actually we were trained to accept beverages, but "pretend" to drink in a way that no one would suspect unless they measured the liquid in the cup that you hadn't drunk anything, and to turn down "solid" food by saying we had just had a HUGE meal, and if they insisted ask if they minded if we took it home for later, since we were SOOO stuffed from the meal).

Can you imagine finding body fluids in your taco? If you had a cold sore or cut in your mouth, wouldn't you wonder if the person had HIV or hepatitis?
Believe me this cop knows it has happened to other cops, and it couldn't have been too far from his mind wondering what else "might" have been in that burger?

kaplods
09-08-2007, 08:41 PM
This incident does remind me of recent incidents at our local McDonald's on the night shift (not lawsuit worthy, but annoying). Our nightshift McDonalds's workers apparently like to play pranks on customers, as twice I have had burger cravings during TOM (several months apart) and sent hubby for a big mac, and recieved a VERY slimy oversauced big mac. I mean, they're supposed to put maybe a tablespoon of sauce on, and these burgers had WELL over 1/4 cup. I took one bite of the sandwhich (I don't know how they put it together so it looked normal) and the burgers shot out of the bun (the sauce had coated all three buns).

The first time it happened, I figured it was an accident or a new employee, so I didn't even think of complaining, but the second time it happened a few months later (with even more sauce put on than the first time), I realized it was done on purpose for the night cook's amusement.

The first time, my husband said "maybe that's the way the guy likes his BigMac," but when he saw the second burger a few months later (with the burger box filled with orange goo), even he had to admit it was obviously not an accident or honest mistake.

freeqeegrl
09-08-2007, 08:54 PM
some people just shouldnt be allowed to breath.

kaplods
09-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I would bet that we won't hear the police officer's "defense" in the media, as the police aren't likely to want to admit that tampering with a cop's food is something that occurs with any frequency. I remember when it happened with the Taco Bell incident when I was a probation officer, there was alot of effort to keep it out of the newspaper, or at least off the front page for fear of copycat crimes.

kaplods
09-08-2007, 09:24 PM
It did keep me from fast food for quite a while, though, especially since at the time, nearly every time I hit a drive-thru, the kid was at the window was someone I recognized from the probation office, jail, or juvenile detention center (where I worked before probation).

newFannie07
09-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I had no clue that this kind of thing happens frequently to police/ probation officers etc. I guess I have my head in the sand.

She is charged with Reckless Endangerment not Assault. As I understand endagerment does not imply intent to harm, but you knew what you were doing was wrong. She should have thrown the meat out. But who knows, maybe she was too scared of losing her job? Maybe she had messed up before and caused other food waste? Not that it makes her actions right.

But I think that a full blown arrest with having to call more police in for backup is a bit of overkill. Unless of course she was beligerent (sp?)

Kerri

kaplods
09-09-2007, 11:26 PM
If he called for backup, that's probably what happened, and possibly why he refused to back down about charges being filed. If she had been super apologetic, he very well may have dropped the whole thing. But if she got upset and thought the cop was being ridiculous (which could be a very natural reaction if she were not be aware that purposeful tampering is something cops deal with), she may have thrown a fit. Nothing ticks a cop off more than resistance, even if it's all verbal, because it's the first sign that the situation is getting ugly and somebody could get hurt.

When I was a probation officer, one day on my day off, my mother and I were pulling into a parking lot of a restaurant to go to lunch. A routine traffic stop got ugly. We could here the guy arguing that he hadn't blown the stop sign (he did, we saw it) and not only did the cop have to call back-up it took 6 cops to get him into the back of the squad car.

Later, I'd heard that the guy was saying that the cop had overreacted, and that he'd called for backup and 6 cops had "jumped him." Mom and I saw the whole thing, and we thought the cops had had the patience of Job for not beating the crap out of him. I'm sure each of them went home sore and bruised, and the guy probably had bruises from where the cops had tried to get and keep a hold on him, but nothing they'd done could be called a blow or a strike.

The stupid part was I knew the first cop on the scene very well, and he said he would have let the guy off with a warning, if he hadn't freaked out.