General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/194/140

Height: 5'7

Lightbulb 2 Questions about decorating my house!!

You guys might have a bit more of a decorating gene than I do!

I want to decorate my kitchen and bedroom. (Been watching too much HDTV)-haha

Do you guys have any good online sites that have artwork and decorations (like vases, rugs, picture frames, etc).. that are cheap?! I'm on a strict budget and know how quick some things can run up.. I've looked at Marshall's and Burlington Coat Factory online--but couldn't find much. I thought about eBay--but credit card theft is a fear of mine!

So, do you guys have any good websites? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Last edited by HappyHousewife; 09-07-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: new--
HappyHousewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Have you tried yard sales or second hand stores? Maybe antique shops? A lot of previously owned things can be cleaned up quite nicely and repainted/stained to make it your own!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #3  

I would like to "stain" my light oak cabinets a darker shade. Are there any available stains that I could buy that I can just apply directly instead of having to strip them and re-do them altogether???? Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I think most stains these days have polyurethane in them, so need to be removed. There are so many different stripping solutions out there, some not so friendly. Another option is to sand off the old stain, which might work out depending on how many coats of stain were put on. I like to use my "mouse" sander, it's made my refinishing easier!!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Don't forget Goodwill and Salvation Army you can get all kinds of vases, picture frames , throw pillows, rugs, etc. Yard sales are great, I got a Wm. Rogers silver bowl at a yard sale for a quarter.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHousewife View Post
I've looked at Marshall's and Burlington Coat Factory online
Erm, you're asking about decorating your home on the cheap and you mention Burlington Coat Factory?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Often, if a piece of furniture has a stain on it, it will also have a protective coating like polyurethane. You have to remove it to stain it, and unless you want to get in to bleaching/pickling of wood, you normally can't stain significantly ligher than the original color (i.e. if your piece is stained a dark walnut, you probably won't get it to a natural maple color). You CAN apply a high-stick paint primer and then paint over top without stripping the piece, though, but it will be painted, not stained.
As for inexpensive home accessories, try Linens and Things, or Homesense. You could also go to Goodwill and to Value Village for retro stuff, and with enough searching you just might find something.
Habitat for Humanity also runs retail stores, and you MIGHT if you are lucky find something.
You can also go to alot of department stores to their damaged/as-is section and find some nice stuff there.
Garage sales and newspaper ads are a great source, too.
Happy hunting!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Ebay is actually every bit as safe as buying from any other website - maybe safer. Paypal is wonderful. I have bought numerous items on ebay to include my wedding dress (which was gorgeous and cheap) and my car (a 2005 Toyota Matrix). I've been ebaying for about 4 years and never had a single problem.

For your question... do you have a TJ Maxx or Ross's? They both have lots of cute household items very cheap. Our WalMart and Target have good stuff too if you are on a budget. Good luck!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

At Goodwill I bought a set of Noritake China enough for a service of 6 including serving pieces.Twenty dollars.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #10  

ANOther, I juuust am seeing your post so I wasn't avoiding. ☺
Yes, our Burlington has housewares..lol. Yes, weird. 😄