Old 09-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/168/150

Default Afraid of falling of the Wagon

I've actually been doing pretty well w/my eating. I allow myself a "cheat day". Usually Saturday nights. Then, I climb back onto the wagon for sure by Monday.

I don't feel deprived or anything. Then today, I started thinking... OMG, can I do this forever? Can I go w/out dessert every night? Can I handle eating it only once a week? If I hit my goal weight, will I go back to my old ways?

Funny thing is, I'm not worried about "now", I'm worried about the future? All of a sudden all these "what if's" popped into my mind.

I guess I should just concenrate on losing first, and let everything else fall into place later.

Anyone else ever feel like this?
luvthelighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #2  

First thing I would suggest is to stop thinking of this as a "cheat day". Think of it as a day you relax your plan, perhaps. Don't think of it as a reward day either, because a lot of us use food as a reward/comfort/medication and this can lead to really unhealthy behavior. I know becaue I am a long time comfort eater! As you can tell I am a BIG believer in how our thinking controls how we react and act.

As far as your question about maintaining, no I really don't think about it because this is for the rest of my life. I've accepted that. I don't think of it as depriving myself or dessert, chips, cookies etc, I think of it as gifting myself with a longer healthier lifestyle. Yes more of that positive thinking stuff My only requirement for splurging is I don't waste my calories on crap I can get anytime.. store bought cookies, cheap crappy ice cream, etc. If I spluge, it's going to be on GOOD stuff that is worth it.

And thoase are my two cents!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #3  

That's really good advice Linta T! Emotional eating is more fattening that any food.
My day to day objective is to eat healthy portions of healthy foods that I actually ENJOY eating....

I KNOW that if I get off the crazy dieting/crazy binging merry-go-round I will be so much healthier and happier; so I don't want to deprive myself of THAT!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #4  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

I agree Kate and Linda - I'm planning this as something I can keep doing. I know there will be instances where I eat stuff that's not good for me, but I need them to stay as instances, not blow up into major deviations! That's why I picked Sonoma, it seems to fit well for me.

luvthelighthouse, maintenance is hard. Everyone will tell you that, especially the maintainers! But are you worried about it because you are dissatisfied with your plan? Are you finding it hard now and worried that it will be impossible later? Take it one day at a time, and look at it as an ongoing journey, yes, you'll stumble from time to time, but if you buid a healthy plan you enjoy, then those stumbles will be short lived.

You don't have to go without dessert every night - just redefine "dessert". Fruit is good - once you pass Wave 1. Also there's flexibility, perhaps you can eat dinner as a protein/veggie meal sometimes, saving the whole grains for a (not sugary) dessert with fruit? It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

hugs

Jax
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote