100 lb. Club - A miracle - I ran?!

View Full Version : A miracle - I ran?!

nelie
09-06-2007, 10:10 AM
I am still amazed at my morning and I wanted to share :)

Let me start by saying I have very bad memories of running. I remember being in Jr High (mid to upper 200s) and being told to run, but I couldn't so I had to walk while others ran. Then I remember being in high school (at 300 lbs) and told to run. My gym teacher wouldn't accept that I couldn't and told me to alternate running and walking. I remember that it felt like torture even running 20-30 feet.

I have been walking every day though for a month. Every morning, I get up, grab my dog and go for a brisk walk. I had been thinking that I needed to up my intensity somehow. There are two ways to increase your intensity. You can go further or you can go faster. I have limited time so going faster seems like the better option.

Today, I walked by a full length soccer field and I decided that I'd try running it. I didn't think I'd get even half way before having to quit. I was wrong. I ran the whole thing (not a full out run though, a bit of a jog), then I stopped for a second, turned and ran the full length again. I was shocked. I then continued on my walk and as I got near the basketball court, I decided to do a full out run back and forth on that. I was again amazed as I was able to do a full out from one end to the other.

I won't say I was quick or speedy. I will say that I did do something that I didn't think I was capable of doing. I continued on my walk home and I felt good. My face was sweaty, my hair was a mess but I felt good.

So a miracle happened today. I ran and I felt good about it.

Sandi
09-06-2007, 10:15 AM
:bravo:

That is awesome!! Congratulations!!!

royalsfan1
09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
That's so AWESOME! Coming from someone who remembers those dreaded high school runs (they were also torture for those of us who weren't necessarily overweight but were VERY athletically challenged!!!) and now runs on a regular basis can I say that I know how you feel and I'm so happy you're feeling it!!! :D What a GREAT NSV!!!!!!!!!!

Slashnl
09-06-2007, 10:17 AM
That's impressive Nelie! Good for you!

thistoo
09-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Nelie, that's great! Congratulations on not only accomplishing it, but trying something you weren't sure you'd succeed at. I've been 'running' on the treadmill for months now (though it's more of a jog than anything) and my progress is slooooow but I keep at it. Someday maybe I'll even be able to run for ten minutes in a row!

rockinrobin
09-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Nelie, that's just totally and completely AWESOME!!!

Gym was torture for me as well and I was only mildly overweight. TORTURE. But I was "athletically challenged" as well. I"m cringing right now with just the memories from gym class. I was always the last person picked for a team, I hated the horrible gym shorts with my fat, short stumpy legs, oh everything about it. I'm sure for you it was even more agonizing.

Yes, miracles do happen. But it sounds to me as if you made this particular one happen. Your hard work, determination and persistience has really paid off. Enjoy your remarkable day. :)

Jen415
09-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Excellent!!! :):):)

NotTheCheat
09-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Nelie - That is fantastic!! I remember the **** of being forced to run (or at least them trying to force me) in gym class as a teen. It was so horrible. That is so great that you were able to enjoy running

HeatherAngel
09-06-2007, 11:18 AM
:cheer: WooHoo! :cheer:

I started running in June and I haven't looked back - that's awesome, girl!

Heather :D

hellokitty81668
09-06-2007, 11:21 AM
:carrot::carrot::carrot:
Congratulations!! That must feel so good!!!!
Cheryl

Torister
09-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Good for you Nelie!! That is a *great* NSV!!!!!! You are doing so well!! Keep at it...cuz its working!! :carrot:

I can't wait until I can run...even jog again without hurting myself. :o I used to play two sports in high school even though I was only about 30 lbs overweight (I thought I was HUGE). Ahh...to be that size again!

shananigans
09-06-2007, 11:44 AM
WTG! That's awesome.

I had similar experiences with running in gym class, and this last summer I did 2 5k races. You're capable of so much more than you know. Keep up the good work!

Minty Fresh
09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Nelie, I have to tell you, THAT is very inspiring to me!! Congratulations :)

mandalinn82
09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh Nelie, thats FABULOUS.

Two of the most meaningful NSVs I ever had were re-doing the runs that we were supposed to do in high school and I never could run all the way through. One was the 1 mile - I cried the first day I did it without stopping or walking. The second was the "Bridge Run" (1.6 miles - at my high school it was out of the campus, along a road, to a particular bridge, and back).

Isn't it amazing to realize that your body can do things that you NEVER imagined if you only let it?

junebug41
09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Nelie, that's great :bravo: to you!

I have horrible wretched awful memories of the dreaded One Mile. For me, it was all about small feats, one step at a time. One block became every other block, from this stoplight to the one way down there. My DF says I need to learn to run 40 minutes straight. How do you tell that to someone who throughout childhood never learned to run (as a means to getting around or sports)? I think that's hogwash. Just do it your way, at your pace.

So who knows? This year soccer fields, next year a 5k? :carrot:

LisaMarie71
09-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Woohoo!!! Watch out, though -- you might get addicted to running. It has happened to me!!

I'm so happy for you! What a victory! It's so wonderful to read about someone conquering an old fear or doing something they thought they could never do. You definitely put a smile on my face today! :hug:

jtammy
09-06-2007, 01:49 PM
That's a great NSV! I have those same memories as an overweight teen. I hated trying to run. And even though I wasn't extremely overweight, being unable to keep up with the other girls made me feel so large and bulky and out of shape. It still brings back crappy memories.

Congratulations on your weight loss too, you are doing so well. It seems like everytime I see your weight you've dropped some more. (May not feel that way to you but it seems that way to me :))

famograham
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Oh, Nelie...that's incredible!
I have those horrid, terrible memories too. I don't think I could run for ten SECONDS right now!

I'm so happy for you!

:hug:
Linda

xJox
09-06-2007, 02:29 PM
How Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Sheila53
09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Awesome, Nelie!:cheer2:

nelie
09-06-2007, 03:29 PM
You guys make me want to cry... or maybe it is the fact that my legs are feeling a bit sore for some reason :)

Cassie501107
09-06-2007, 03:53 PM
LOL, we're ALL having those gym flashbacks...I hated the mile run...man, it was AWFUL!

But CONGRATS, that's a HUGE accomplishment!:carrot:

SuchAPrettyFace
09-06-2007, 04:02 PM
:cheers: Congratulations!!! :cheers: I have the same memories from HS, so it's good to know I was not the only one.

NickiB68
09-06-2007, 04:13 PM
:cheer2: Thats awesome Nelie! Isn't it a fabulous feeling to do something you didn't think you could!

I was a walker too. But knew I had to learn to run in order to keep progressing with my weight loss. And it is now my favorite thing to do. Granted I can only jog for 3 blocks before I have to rest for one block. But I am recovering faster and jogging more. I believe that this, jogging, will really help improve my weight loss! And it will do the same for you! A WHOLE football field! EXCELLENT!!!:carrot:

P.S....I hated gym too!

CLCSC145
09-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Very cool, Nelie!!! :cheer: :cheer:

better health3
09-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I love it when we suprise ourselves with results! Great job! Keep it up!

lalique
09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Thats wonderful!! :bravo:

I can't wait for the day that I can run, and feel good about it! hehe!!

mumof5
09-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Oh, I remember how much I used to love running! Congratulations! Some day soon I hope to experience that very same feeling.

:carrot:

Trazey34
09-06-2007, 10:27 PM
wow that's wicked! good for you!!!!

:D yay!!!!

Stepping Out
09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
What an AWESOME NSV!! :woohoo: :carrot: Congratulations!

Gale02
09-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Congratulations Nellie! I agree with Lisa, running can get quite addicting.

I started running in January (run 60 secs/walk 90 secs) and can run 3 miles now. I've not been trying to up that distance at all (since May-ish), but will when the weather cools off.

Keep up the great work, maybe we'll be celebrating your half mary soon! ;)

traci in training
09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
I so get what you're saying, Nelie. My husband tells me I should walk - it's easier on my joints and my feet - but I've never been able to do it before, so I want to RUN!

Enjoy the new freedom!

rakel
09-07-2007, 07:50 AM
My senior year of high school I started out "running" the mile in like 25 minutes or something like that? And by the end of the year I could do it in 13 t o 14 minutes, making me the most improved of my class... I still had some pretty bad memories though. My teacher liked to pick on me, and made me cry a few times because I couldn't keep up with everyone else.

I have no idea how much I could run now... not very far I'm sure. It's inspiring to hear of your success! I think I will have to start walking/jogging!

Mrs Quadcrew
09-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Nelie, I can read the proud in your post - that is just AWESOME!!! Congratulations on that huge milestone you have conquered!!!:carrot:

AuntChuChu
09-07-2007, 11:03 AM
I ran track in high school and enjoyed running, now I am so heavy and my knees are so bad that I probably will never run again, but there are days when I feel that if I could just run and run my spirits would soar. A run would make my day. Congrats on achieving your goals and keep running, it's a great stress reliever.

nelie
09-07-2007, 11:31 AM
This morning, I ran the soccer field back and forth, then walked half, ran half 4 times, running back and forth for a total of running the soccer field 4 times.