100 lb. Club - Switched to Soy Milk and bought Kashi Go Lean

MugCanDoIt
09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Since I heard all you guys talking about Kashi Go Lean cereal, I had to get me some. I like it! I bought some soy milk cause I am slowly easing into a Vegan diet. Slowly I tell ya......but anyway I had some cereal with the soy milk and it wasn't that bad! I think I can actually give up milk now. I never used to drink a lot of it anyway, just with cereal. Now I have a new favorite milk and a new favorite cereal! Lots of protein and fiber should help keep me full and I can drink the soy milk and not feel guilty about having cows milk.

Does anybody else like soy milk? Anybody tried soy cheese? It looks kind of scary, but I know people eat it all the time.

Suzanne 3FC
09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I like soy milk, but some brands are better than others. 8th Continent soy milk is my favorite. I also love almond milk.

I buy soy feta cheese that's really good!

hellokitty81668
09-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I have drunk soy milk( I like vanilla ), and I have bought this veggie cheese, cheddar flavor and loved it. I am glad you like it!!!
cheryl

thistoo
09-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I like Silk soy milk, but I tend to buy organic skim cow's milk instead because I count calories and soy milk is higher. Not by much, but every calorie counts with me. I have such a sweet tooth, it's tragic. Some of the soy cheeses are okay, but I prefer the rice cheeses. The texture's a little better, at least for me.

Robin41
09-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Eighth Continent light vanilla. It's especially good on the twiggy cereals.

Pita09
09-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Every morning for breakfast I eat Go Lean with light vanilla soy milk. I love it! I also sprinkle a little cinnamon on my cereal because cinnamon is very good for you. I sometimes sprinkle some chopped walnuts if I want the cereal to stay with me all the way till my lunch. That works well when I'm in school. Oh and I love sliced strawberries on top. It's my favorite meal of the day.

sockmonkey70
09-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Welcome to the world of soy LOL. I used to think I could never give up milk...But I usually just use it for cereal and slim fast shakes, and the soy milk is a great substitue.

I heart Kashi too!

kristanc
09-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Eighth Continent light vanilla. It's especially good on the twiggy cereals.

Same here! I love the 8th Continent soy milk!

Gale02
09-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Ooohhh, may I express some jealousy? The vanilla soy milk sounds so yummy but I can't eat anything with soy in it. :( I'm pretty sure I've got some sort of allergy because it makes me very very sick. I wonder if there's any way to make my regular milk vanilla flavored... hmmmm I must think on that some more.

That said, I bought some Kashi Go Lean Crunch at Sam's Club yesterday and put 1/2 cup in with my yogurt and fresh fruit... to die for!! Thanks for all of the recommendations, I don't think I'd have tried it if you ladies hadn't convinced me.

LaurieDawn
09-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I have never really done soy milk - the cost is kind of prohibitive - but I really like to make brown rice milk. Cheap, easy, and tasty. There are lots of recipes on the internet, but I just blend rice milk with some water and vanilla (can't remember exact measurements - one of those just-do-it recipes for me). Then I strain the rice particles, which I sometimes will use in other recipes, and it's done.

NickiB68
09-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I started using vanilla soy milk in my coffee. Cost is also an issue, but so far the half-gallon is in its second week. Now I can't drink coffee with the creamer I was so addicted to! I haven't tried it in anything else yet.

SoulBliss
09-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Ooohhh, may I express some jealousy? The vanilla soy milk sounds so yummy but I can't eat anything with soy in it. :( I'm pretty sure I've got some sort of allergy because it makes me very very sick. If you are allergic to soy, then don't eat "Kashi Go Lean Crunch" as it has a lot of soy in it! Actually, soy is in many products that may not appear to contain soy, so be careful!

SoulBliss
09-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Does anybody else like soy milk? Anybody tried soy cheese? I'm vegan so I don't eat *any* animal products (all animal milks and cheeses, flesh, honey or bee products) and I have been vegan for many years. If you need any guidance, let me know!

I like soy milk (Silk with flax oil is my favorite and I also drink unsweetened of various sorts) and vegan cheese. "Vegan Gourmet" cheese is the only really tasty one available in any of the areas I have seen (in several states from west coast to east coast).

BattleAx
09-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Gale, try almond milk. It rocks. I like the vanilla almond milk even better.

rakel
09-06-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm so glad that I don't like milk that much. I can handle Soy Milk on an occasional basis (Vanilla is my favorite) but it definitely tastes a LOT different than milk... if I ever have milk, I go with 1%, personally it is worth it. I can't stand Skim... I would rather eat my cereal dry, as I often do...

BUT, conversely, I love Kashi -- they have great products :D

Outland
09-06-2007, 02:00 AM
kashi is my main stay I used to use soy milk but I found Fat free skim milk had a lower cal count and found at least for men drinking 2 cups of FF skim milk helped build muscle when drank after working out then soy milk did. So i switched back to milk. But I do like 8th cont light chocolate soy milk.

K8-EEE
09-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Isn't it fun experimenting with new healthier foods?

I've tried them all and find the very best milk sub is HEMP MILK! The texture is so right on.

I've find almond milk too sweet; rice milk too watery; soy milk has a chalky aftertaste, but Hemp Milk, as Goldilocks would say, JUST RIGHT!

Gale02
09-06-2007, 02:48 AM
If you are allergic to soy, then don't eat "Kashi Go Lean Crunch" as it has a lot of soy in it! Actually, soy is in many products that may not appear to contain soy, so be careful!

Hmmmm, now my body has me confused. The Kashi didn't make me sick at all, maybe it's something else in other products my body doesn't like? Maybe it has to be in larger amounts? I'll keep experimenting, maybe I can figure it out.

Thanks for the info SoulBliss, I'll keep my eyes open.

GirlyGirlSebas
09-06-2007, 09:47 AM
I love Westsoy Unsweetened Vanilla Soymilk for my smoothies. Yum Yum!

MugCanDoIt
09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm vegan so I don't eat *any* animal products (all animal milks and cheeses, flesh, honey or bee products) and I have been vegan for many years. If you need any guidance, let me know!

I like soy milk (Silk with flax oil is my favorite and I also drink unsweetened of various sorts) and vegan cheese. "Vegan Gourmet" cheese is the only really tasty one available in any of the areas I have seen (in several states from west coast to east coast).

Thanks, I just may need your guidance on stuff one day. I will look for the Vegan Gourmet cheese, I hope Walmart has it. I wish there was a Trader Joes around me, but there isn't.

ChristyDM
09-06-2007, 01:23 PM
OK, this thread and all the praises for Kashi has me thinking maybe I am weird or something. I've tried Kashi cereals, granola bars and a couple of frozen entrees. Didn't like any of them. Nothing by Kashi has ever seemed "good" to me. :?: I don't get it.

I love Silk chocolate soy milk. Never tried the vanilla, but I think I will. Now, about this rice milk....where is it found in the grocery store? I know the soy milk is in the fridge case, but I don't recall ever seeing rice milk...would it be elsewhere? I know each store is different, but just in general.

nelie
09-06-2007, 01:38 PM
I've never tried rice milk, but I regularly drink almond milk, the unsweetened kind. I also drink unsweetened soy milk. I actually don't buy my almond milk or soy milk in the fridge, I buy the ones on the shelf. If your regular store has an organic section, that might be where it is located? My Trader Joe's has a shelf dedicated to milk alternatives and I've seen nearly half an aisle dedicated to it at Whole Foods.

junebug41
09-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I love Silk chocolate soy milk. Never tried the vanilla, but I think I will. Now, about this rice milk....where is it found in the grocery store? I know the soy milk is in the fridge case, but I don't recall ever seeing rice milk...would it be elsewhere? I know each store is different, but just in general.

Yup, rice milk has it's own aisle as it's not refrigerated (I forget which eail, though). I also love Silk chocolate soy milk. It's richer than regular chocolate milk and really kicks my chcoolate craving. It's also a great (and easy) breakfast when blended with a small banana and some ice.