Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #1  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Default C25K what made you "just do it?"

Well I've been reading the C25K programme recently and I'm just ITCHING to get going. Its a strange feeling - you see I was a very active early teen... a very extremely athletic hockey, basketball, rounders, netball and cross country runner. I was crazy for sport.

But my dream is to be able to run again - it would just be amazing, I know it sounds crazy. One problem is that I'm a procrastinator and I have low self esteem. I'm one of those people who is dying to go out and try and see if I can do it but am scared people will notice how unfit I am... therefore... I sit at home and get bigger - and the vicious circle continues. What I'm asking you guys for is well... when was the moment you just said "STUFF IT... I'M GOING TO DO THIS"... I mean what happened that just made you say... "i'm going to run"?

Sorry for my rant, like I said, I'm itching to go - I just never seem to get round to it, so looking for some inspiration and motivation. thanks guys
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I don't think there was really any set moment. I just kept reading the C25K thread on this site and saw people go from day 1 week 1 to running 5k's and it inspired me. I also look at runners and see how awesome their legs look and I want to look like that
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #3  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

It was strange for me... when I started counting calories, I started walking - my goal was to be able to walk 5K by June. By 3K, I was bored stiff. I'd read on here about the C25K, so I read all about it, and thought 'Well, the worst that can happen is that I will not be able to do it, and fail' which, based on my own low self-esteem, seemed worth a try

It was hard for me. SOOOOOO hard. That first week, I wanted to cry, I was so unfit. And I ran in the woods (which I would walk to so that no one could see me!) and I watched that watch like the 60 seconds or ninety seconds would NEVER pass...

I scared my husband, I scared the dog... I HAD to run alone. I swore - a LOT (and not always under my breath!) and I forced myself to keep going even though I HATED it. I repeated days (and whole weeks) because I did not feel fit enough to move on.

And suddenly - honestly, like magic - somewhere around week five (of the programme, not in calendar weeks), I WANTED to run. I was still terrified of running more than three or five minutes and couldn't imagine doing 30 minutes, but I WANTED to go out and run. And when I did, I felt strong.

And then one day in week 6, it rained. And I wouldn't run in the rain. So, therefore, not only was I NOT a 'runner', but I had failed as well, just for good measure. And that REALLY ticked me off. So I bullied my husband into letting me buy a treadmill.

Now I run a little over 5K at least four times a week. I cannot even imagine NOT running. And I started the Couch to 5K the first week in June.

So, was there a moment of 'just do it'? Yes - every single day. The milestones were worth every single gasping, sweating step - and the day I felt like a 'runner' changed my life

Just do it, Serena - I promise you won't regret it

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Signing up to run a 5K when I'd never run before was a pretty big incentive.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

For me it was when my workout program stopped working. Part of that was moving and not having a pool in the back yard to swim laps in anymore, but part of it was wanting to burn calories more efficiently in the short time I do have at the gym every day. I keep getting stuck on week 5, though. Life has gotten in the way twice (first a surgery, then a family illness), but even so I spend at least two weeks on week 5 and this last time, that last five minutes just killed me. I'm still working on it.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I'm actually not a huge fan of the C25K program. It was WAY too hard for me, and had I not just done my own thing, I probably would not be running now. I know a LOT of drop-outs from the program, more than I know graduates actually. It does great things for a lot of people, but don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for you--there is more than one way to get there. FWIW, this C25K dropout has run probably a half dozen half marathons, one full marathon, and about a zillion triathlons with a 5K or longer run.

Having said that, I think running is fantastic! Try C25K, or one of the other more moderate programs out there--I just looked at beginnertriathlete.com's plan and it is a full 28 weeks. Or do your own thing like I did. Run when you can, push a little farther each time, and walk as needed. Also take time off (or cross train) for recovery.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #7  

Quote:
I'm actually not a huge fan of the C25K program. It was WAY too hard for me, and had I not just done my own thing, I probably would not be running now. I know a LOT of drop-outs from the program, more than I know graduates actually.
Glad to see I'm not the only non-fan.

C25K progresses very fast, faster than most non-active people realistically should. Then a month or three later they're injured and they're former runners.

For those who need a schedule rather than the (perfectly valid) advice "as long as it feels okay, run; when you get tired, walk until you're ready to run again" -- in addition to the beginningtriathlete schedule, I like Bob Glover's Runner's Handbook, which is available at Amazon. Glover takes 10 weeks to get to 20 minutes nonstop, then another 10 weeks to get to 30 minutes nonstop (like training for a race, there are weeks when you hold or decrease mileage).

Last edited by MariaMaria; 09-03-2007 at 01:16 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #8  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Hmm thats quite interesting. I might look into those website and books. Thanks guys for all your support... today... the itching (from all of your help) got worse and I went down to the local park and just went for it. I thought my heart/lungs were going to explode.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm not a runner.

I was never very athletic in school.

I just knew I needed to exercise. I was bored with indoor exercise (I have a NordicTrak) and just couldn't see how I could fit in going to the gym with my schedule. I started thinking about the C25K and one day I found the podcasts that go along with it. I was out there the very next day!!!

I'm currently on Week 5 and am not progressing. I think I may be a dropout, but I don't want to be. I do quite well at the intervals, but cannot seem to get in a non-stop run. I've decided that until the weather cools down, I will continue doing the first two days of weeks 5 and 6 until I feel that I can do the 3rd day of week 5 with no problem. At this point, I just can't push myself to do it, but I don't want to quit.

Good luck to you!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #10  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

I always have been athletic, but my motto was "Run when chased." However, I secretly dreamed that I would be a runner.

About two years ago, I said I would do it. Last December I said I would do it. Then I had a 6-week plateau. I am still nursing, so I could not eliminate more food. I only have a certain number of minutes a day that I can use on myself. I thought this was the way to go.

I have not done it straight through. I have had bad runs, set backs, surprising surges ahead....with no apparent rhyme or reason. However, I really like the program overall, and I plan to do a race this fall.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
I have had bad runs, set backs, surprising surges ahead....with no apparent rhyme or reason.
Ah, sounds completely normal to me! No matter what you're training for, this is how it seems to go. For me anyway, plan or no plan.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote