Exercise! - Cool Runners - September

View Full Version : Cool Runners - September

HeatherAngel
09-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, a new month, and no doubt some (slightly) cooler weather to make outside runs a bit easier...! :)

I love the autumn, and I am really looking forward to doing one run a week (at least) out of doors this month. I've set a goal of 50 miles for myself this month, and I will only count the miles RUN, not walking as a warm up or cool down.

Today is a day off. :D

Welcome to September!! :dizzy:

Heather :D

ennay
09-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Day off today 1/2 mary tomorrow but just as a training run with support

GOOD LUCK LISA!

YP1
09-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Good luck Lisa!

I had a rest day yesterday, today is an 11.15 mile leg of a cross country relay race which should be different... if we don't get lost!

LisaMarie71
09-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Woohoo! My first half marathon is finally done!

I've had some twinges and aches and pains leading up to the race but really, everything went quite smoothly today. It was very sunny, especially on that last 2 mile stretch on the boardwalk, but it was beautiful finishing the race with the ocean right beside us. I didn't walk at all, and I finished in 2:32:52. My average pace was 11:41, which is not bad at all for me on a long run like that. I had to dodge quite a few walkers, which took some time, but I was close enough to 2:30 to feel quite proud of myself!! My pace got a bit faster as I went, according to the records. I did feel myself sort of getting stronger around mile 10 to mile 12, and then it was just a push to the end. My husband and our friend were on the side right before the finish line, cheering me on. My husband ran it in 1:36:53 and his friend was 1:35:05, even though they both had injuries troubling them!! Speedy freaks!

Anyway, it was really fun, and I decided I love this distance. I'll definitely do more half marathons in the future! We're still at the beach, so I plan to attend the free concerts tonight and celebrate. I'll be back to a regular running schedule and running with my students next week, but I'm going to take it rather easy this week!

cakses
09-02-2007, 03:29 PM
:congrat: :bravo: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Lisa you are awesome!!!

YP1
09-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Well done Lisa, it's good to hear you had a good time!

ennay
09-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Woohoo Lisa! Awesome Job! :cheer:

Just got back from my half, it was hilly in spots and hot in spots but fortunately rarely at the same time. I was surprised to be able to haul in a new PR today coming off the relay so very happy.

AnneWonders
09-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Congrats, Lisa on your 1st half! Congrats ennay on your PR!

Ran 2.5 miles this morning, with one walk break. Getting there. No Kenyans today.

Anne

HeatherAngel
09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Lisa, I'm so happy for you, tears actually came to my eyes reading your post (but it is that time of month :lol3:)!!
:cheer:

Way to go, girl!!!

Sheila53
09-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Congratulations to both Lisa and Ennay!! :bravo: Awesome accomplishments for both of you today!

ennay
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
SO..... the pace predictor calculators all put me in a marathon time of 4:02-4:03. I think if the forecast for portland is cool and/or cloudy I am going to sign up for the 4 hour pace team. :yikes:

AnneWonders
09-03-2007, 12:30 PM
SO..... the pace predictor calculators all put me in a marathon time of 4:02-4:03. I think if the forecast for portland is cool and/or cloudy I am going to sign up for the 4 hour pace team. :yikes:

That is awesome! What is BQ for you? 3:45? (Not that you should necessarily try for it this time.)

Anne

ennay
09-03-2007, 01:19 PM
That is awesome! What is BQ for you? 3:45? (Not that you should necessarily try for it this time.)

Anne

yeah 3:45...not a chance in heck. I think 4 is a pretty long shot this time around, but 3:45..wow I would have to run 8:35's....thats pushing my best 10K pace.

I'm hoping to BQ in the 40-45 age group...my kids will be in preschool but I wont be back to work yet so I will have more training time....hopefully then.

LisaMarie71
09-03-2007, 02:26 PM
ennay, you rock!

My legs are sooooo sore today! I have a question for the more experienced runners: how much time do you take off to recover after a race? I bought a book today called "Run Fast" by Hal Higdon, and in it he recommends a rest of 7 days after a half marathon. I want to run with my students tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday, but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't. It's easy for my husband, because he can run with the kids and make it a really easy run, but for me it's more of a challenge to run with them. If I don't run with them, I won't have time to run at all. How much time do you guys take off after a 1/2, or I should say...how much time after your FIRST half?

I bought this book about increasing your speed because I've decided that's my goal now. I know I'll never be superfast, but I'd like to work up to a respectable speed for my age and ability. I've increased my endurance so much - it just seems like the next step to work on speed. And I know I can improve, so why not go for it? Running with my cross country team is making me faster anyway.

AnneWonders
09-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey Lisa,

I read somewhere (sorry for the lack of attribution for further reference), that you should take a rest/easy day for each mile. So a marathon gets you 26 days, and a 5K gets you three.

I wish I could remember what I did. Being a triathlete, the obvious thing for me to do would be to do a lot of swimming. You are getting to be pretty experienced. Listen to your body. Do what you feel like--if you feel off, do less. If you feel up to it, do more.

Anne

YP1
09-03-2007, 04:50 PM
For me, it depends on how the race fits into my schedule. When I'm marathon training even a half run at PB pace is still in some respects a gentler workout than a longer run, so I don't take much time off at all. After marathons I tend to take until about the Thursday off and then start back very gently, but basically I just tend to take time off and do gentle "activity" (walking, swimming etc) until I feel like I want to lace those shoes back up again.

Some good and bad news from the relay I did yesterday. My pair was 4th over the leg we did, which I'm really pleased with (the time we did would actually have won the leg last year, but the other teams must have been stronger or the conditions better this year), but after we managed to beat the cut off and pass the baton on (to make the race shorter, they have a mass start after a while so people can get going even if the previous runners haven't turned up - you can still win legs without having the baton, but it's more of an achievement if you get it all the way round), one of the pair after us (who are usually quite good) fell and they didn't make their cut off. These things happen I suppose, but it's just a bit disappointing for the team because we were in 4th and they'd apparently overtaken another team before the accident. Ah well.

I did a relatively gentle 10k(ish) tonight to recover a bit. I'm intending to do a bit more on Wednesday, resting tomorrow.

AnneWonders
09-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I actually go to the Lore of Running (4th edition) by Tim Noakes, MD a lot for really good advice. It is about 1000 pages of super-technical running stuff. Not for the faint-hearted, but you can find about anything in it.

Except for the 1 day/1 mile thing, apparently. :)

Seriously about the pool. I put DH in one just to soak after his runs, and he hates pools. The cool water is like a much-less-intense ice bath, and helps with the soreness. My first stop at the hotel after running & showering.

Anne

AnneWonders
09-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Lisa, clearly you have intrigued me. This was a good article. Focused on recovery after a full, but probably applicable to a first half as well.

http://www.marathonguide.com/training/articles/MandBRecoveringFromBoston.cfm

ennay
09-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Lisa - I have heard the 1/day mile rule, but not as time off, just as dont race. I wouldnt take a whole week off, I would be stiff as a board. In fact I meant to run today and I still may but I ate too much lunch so probably not since I AM going to run tomorrow (but my half was a training run, not the RACE). I would get out for a walk today or tomorrow at the latest. Then throw in a sloooooow jog and see how you feel.

Can you run at the same time as you would have run with the kids but run shorter and slower? Like start them out on their run and then take a shortcut back to the school or whatever it is you do? Personally I recover best with a few easy miles over total rest.

Since it was your first half and you are pretty sore I would say just try for 1-2 miles with maybe some walking thrown in. Or mostly walking if you are very sore. Swimming is great recovery.

LisaMarie71
09-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice, ladies!!

Anne, thanks for the article link -- there's lots of useful info in there for anyone, I think. I bookmarked it to refer back to it in the future as well.

My left thigh is still freakishly sore, though my right one seems to be ok. If it still feels like this, I may wait until Thursday to run. If I feel reasonably ok tomorrow, I'll either lightly jog or walk the trails with (behind) the cross country kids. I'll take my running clothes just in case, but I may end up sitting on the sidelines. This race kind of wiped me out! It's interesting, because I've done several 10 to 13 mile runs in my training and never felt like this. I guess that shows that I pushed myself a little yesterday, which is a good thing!

Incidentally, the results show that my 2:32:52 time put me 875th in my age/gender division, which had 1540 runners. It's not great, but I'll take it for my first half! My husband was 100th in his division, so I'm pretty proud of him. I'm always fighting a battle between pride and jealousy when I think of his speed!!

WindyCityChick
09-03-2007, 08:24 PM
I was out of town all weekend, so I'm glad to come back and read such great things in this thread. Congrats Lisa on your half - sounds like it went great! Recovery-wise, I've read the same thing that Anne mentioned - a day for each mile raced, but I found it to be more than I needed after my first half in June - I'd say just take it easy this week, but do what feels right.

And Ennay, congrats on your PR - I will soooo not be following the 4 hour pace team in Portland, but I think it's awesome that you will be there.

I have a half marathon next weekend here in Chicago, then one more long run the weekend after that...then it's taper time heading into Portland. Thank goodness - logging all these miles really take some time (especially at my pace).

ennay
09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Lisa - I have found that the easiest way to move up in the age group standings is to do smaller races ;). I think I was 6th in AG Sunday, but total in the entire race was ~140 people? (results arent posted yet) So there werent very many in my AG I am guessing.

I have yet to find a race where this nets me a AG "placing". That I think will have to wait until I can just be older than everyone out there.

Although I am planning on doing a 5K in a couple weeks that might just be small enough to do it. The race is brand new, they put it on the same morning as Race for the Cure (portland has the 2nd largest RTFC in the country), their only method of advertising is to go to other races and shove fliers under windshield wipers and there is no online registration, only mail-in. With these methods, I might just BE the race!

LisaMarie71
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Lisa - I have found that the easiest way to move up in the age group standings is to do smaller races ;).

It's funny that you mention that, because my next 5K is really really tiny, and I've been planning since last year on winning in my age group. I remember thinking the 1st place person in the 35-39 group was kind of slow to actually win a trophy, so I was already deviously scheming to beat her the following year! :devil: I think she ran it in something like 38:00. I just hope there aren't any speedy thirtysomethings coming out for the first time this year! It's a little local race, and my husband actually won the whole thing last year with a time of 19 something.

YP1
09-04-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm still in the open age group, so don't come too near placing very often. I think I managed 6th in a small 5k and 9th in a small 10k, but that's about it, even though I can make it into the top 5% or so. Although... I've just seen a 5 mile race in my local park which doesn't look very well promoted, and is on the same weekend as a couple of other local races so I'm tempted to give that a try and see what happens. The only thing putting me off is that I'm meant to be doing a long run that day, but I'm thinking about doing the race and then running an extended route home to get the mileage up a bit on the day.

Sheila53
09-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I have yet to find a race where this nets me a AG "placing". That I think will have to wait until I can just be older than everyone out there.

:lol: I figure I will finally have it made if I can still race when I'm in my 70s! Actually, there was one 70-79 year old female and one 80-89 year old female in last year's 5K that's coming up. I was thrilled just to be in the top 2/3 of my 50-59 age group.

ennay
09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
ahhh Helen in the states there is no "open" ag. We divvy out every 5 years no matter your age. Now granted you may still be in the most competitive AG's, but in a small enough race...

Actually I have found the best way to place is a dual event. Like a 10K/5K or a 1/2 mary/10K. All the "good runners" run the longer event and the shorter event is typically SO's & friends who are trying out this running thing or just keeping busy while the running person does their umpteenth race of the year.

The closest I ever came to placing was in 2 of those when I was pg. If I had run them not pg, I could have placed for sure, but of course, when time came this year, I ran the longer event.

ennay
09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Yup! The 1/2 I did on Saturday had a 5 miler with it and there was ONE person in my AG and her pace was slower than my 1/2mary pace. So if I had run the 5....

LisaMarie71
09-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, I ended up running with the kids after all today. I did 2.2 miles on our trails, but I took it pretty slowly. I didn't do the accelerations with them, because A)I suck at that anyway and B)my poor muscles weren't ready. Trails in the woods are quite different from roads, let me tell you! I'm seriously terrified of tripping on a root or tree limb and breaking an ankle or something, because I'm a klutz anyway, but it's kind of fun.

YP1
09-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Here vets categories start at 35, before that it's open age. If someone who is 35+ places high enough I think they can still take an open age prize (for example if they give out prizes for 1 - 10 in open age and only 1 - 3 in the vets category, you could be 4th vet and 8th or 9th overall and still get the open age prize). Strangely the time I came 9th that was 9th overall, I was actually 4th under 35, but would have been 5th over 35 if I'd been in that age group.

I'm trying to decide how far to run tonight. I was planning to run up to running club (the best way to get all my stuff in the right place for tomorrow morning), but they're doing a half marathon training run, which would take it up to about 16. I know I need to do a long run either tonight or on Saturday, but I'm not sure whether I fancy doing another long Wednesday evening session, the last one seemed to wipe me out for a few days! But on the other hand, having company for the last 13 would probably make it seem a lot easier.

AnneWonders
09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
3.1 miles this morning. The last mile was pretty rough with lots of walking--my HR spiked on a little hill and I just couldn't get it back down. The first two miles were good though, one planned walk break with two one mile(ish) running segments. About 11 min miles, give or take, on the running segments. It was actually kind of a blah run, which surprises me because I've been looking forward to it for days.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to bike, but my club is doing an a.m. track workout. Was thinking about biking down there, doing 20-30 min of intervals and biking back. Although it feels like at this point, speedwork may simply mean getting out of bed.

Anne

Sheila53
09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Trails in the woods are quite different from roads, let me tell you!

Just did my first trail workout today so I can relate to this! It was a hill run--short, walk back, medium, walk back, long, walk back--for three sets. I'd never done any hill work before, and I'd never run on a "natural" kind of trail before. You really have to watch out for those tree roots. As my training person said, it's easier to fall uphill than it is downhill. Gee, thanks, that made me feel better.

YP1
09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
We've just switched back to roads at running club, and it's taking some getting used to at the moment.

I did just under 10 miles this evening, in the end no-one wanted to do the half marathon route so I didn't have to decide whether to do it or not. I'm planning to run into work in the morning anyway, so I thought that doing 16 (the half plus running up there) would be a bit much and was trying to persuade myself not to be tempted by it.

According to my running log, so far this year I've spent 7 days, 0 hours and 26 minutes running! That's what I call a week well spent...

cakses
09-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Helen you rock! 7 days running...wow.

I am still nursing and re- hurting myself. Rinse and repeat. I was told to do some weight training to fix my thigh and shin tears, so that plus some walking and some water jogging is what I am praying will fix me. There is nothing worse than spending $2k for a treadmill then staring at it folded up! Arghhh!

Diva
09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Wrong thread sorry....

HeatherAngel
09-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi all! :wave:

Cat - I'm so sorry you are still in pain - how awful! :( :hug:

Helen - amazing. You are one of my heroes! I'm trying to figure out when I can start running MOST days... even now I find I can't comfortably do EVERY OTHER day - so most weeks I'll do something like Monday, Wednesday, Saturday... and I really WANT to find a fourth day in there...

When did you long-distance runners add an extra run - just when you felt 'ready'? To be fair, I am increasing my distance - SLOWLY - and I am happy with that! ;)

Have a great day all -

ennay
09-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Heather...I added an extra day when I was a) consistant with the other days and b) finding the other days didnt cause me an overly high amount of fatigue or pain. c) I really craved it.

Start by adding in the TIME...walk on the 4th day, dont run. Then increase that 4th day just as you did the other days.

Really, for overall health and fitness once you get to 4 days running, looking for a cross training activity is better than adding a 5th or 6th running day. It helps prevent overuse injury. I am just now to the point after consistantly running for several years that I feel comfortable adding a 5th day and I feel it. I would be better served biking or swimming on the 5th day if I could.

HeatherAngel
09-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks, ennay! Very grateful for the input :D

Heather

cakses
09-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Well I felt better this morning, so I dusted off the treadmill and got on. Did a 1 mile run and just sort of lost energy and was a little sore, so I thought it best not to push it. Tomorrow I will walk and then Saturday I will try for 1.2 miles and just add in a little bit each time I run. I ran 4 days in a row last week because I was so excited to get the go-ahead from the doctor, but I think I forget I am still a beginner and overweight so I just about killed my body doing that. So back to the easy approach and add in the miles and just run 3 times a week!

YP1
09-06-2007, 03:32 PM
the first time I did marathon training, my schedule had me running 5 days and I really felt it. I struggled with my easy runs because I hadn't got enough time to recover. The second time round I found it a lot easier, and now I've been running for long enough to compare the two feelings I kind of know when it's better to take a rest or when I'm OK to back up. My approach doesn't tend to be terribly scientific or rule based, it is very much based on how my legs feel and past experience. I guess it's something that comes with time.

LisaMarie71
09-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I ran 3.8 miles with my cross country team tonight. Had to run practice myself, without my husband, and I have to tell you...by the end of practice I was seriously pretty angry. I can't seem to get my girls (and a few of the guys) to put forth enough effort. It's really unacceptable to me that they're doing any walking on these easy runs we do in practice. I know it's hot outside (I'm out there too, and I'm 20 years older...) but they should be running or at least lightly jogging! I try to be patient with them, but I just don't know how to motivate them any more than I have already. I have several girls who are just on the team for the social aspect and honestly don't seem to care about how well they do. Ugh! We don't want to make cuts but the team is pretty big now and we may have to!

MariaMaria
09-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Agreed-- with experience you get to know what you can and can't (or should and shouldn't) do.

One standard guideline is not to increase total mileage by more than 10% a week, regardless of how you space the miles.

YP1
09-08-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm exhausted! I did my long run this morning and had a vague idea of a route that I thought might be about 20 miles, I measured it when I got back and it was actually 22. That's the furthest I've ever run in training so far, and the furthest I'm going to run, but it feels good to have got a run that long under my belt. (It also feels good to know I've got the rest of the weekend off now!)

ennay
09-08-2007, 01:16 PM
19 this morning....and now I get to be mommy again! yee..hah. :p I only have to do shopping and cook for friends who are coming over tonight....and probably run around in the park and play a little. :faint:

Helen, when is Amsterdam? Next week is my LAST long run for Portland and then it is taper time. :carrot:

YP1
09-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Amsterdam is 22nd (?) October. It's not for a while yet, but my taper might be a bit longer than normal because I've got a half marathon the weekend I'd normally do my last long run (31st Oct), so I think I have another two long runs left now. It seems to be creeping up on me really quickly this time.

Well done on your 19. I've had a bit of a lazy afternoon, but I'm planning to get stuck into the garden tomorrow, which might not be much of a rest day!

cakses
09-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Feel a but toolish following up 22 and 19 miles from the pros, but I was able to add on a measly .20 miles to make a 1.2 mile run this morning. I could have done more, but I was hesitant to because I am just starting to feel better and I don't want to ruin it. My leg still hurts in the morning after not moving all night until I get some exercise in then it feels better. Going to take the kids for a swim tomorrow and do some water aerobics while they have fun, then try for 1.5 miles on Monday.

ennay
09-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Cat dont feel foolish at all. We were all there. :hug:

Note to self: if it is a bad idea to go grocery shopping hungry, it is a phenomenally monumentally horrendous idea to go grocery shopping after running 19. My shopping list had chicken for dinner tonight, it took ALL my willpower not to buy chicken AND steak AND shrimp. And just about every other item in the store.

I think the only thing that saved me is I am too damn tired to cook it all!

onthetee
09-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Feel a but toolish following up 22 and 19 miles from the pros, but I was able to add on a measly .20 miles to make a 1.2 mile run this morning. I could have done more, but I was hesitant to because I am just starting to feel better and I don't want to ruin it. My leg still hurts in the morning after not moving all night until I get some exercise in then it feels better. Going to take the kids for a swim tomorrow and do some water aerobics while they have fun, then try for 1.5 miles on Monday.

You are still doing it. I am to the point where I just dread going because it seems like it is going to be another failure. You rock!

AnneWonders
09-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Cat dont feel foolish at all. We were all there. :hug:

And if I am any example, we all will be again, for one reason or another. Two mile run this morning with the jogging stroller. DD & I made it the first mile to the walk break (mostly down hill), then turned around and got the second mile (mostly up hill) in two shots. I'm pretty pleased given I had the stroller. Then there was about another 1-1.5 miles of walking.

Then I took DD to the park, chased her around the splash area for almost and hour and the slide for another half hour after that. Then I came home and DD & DH went to sleep and I got to chase around the house for another hour picking up all their trash to get ready for company tonight, who I think are going to cancel on us anyway. I think I will sleep well tonight.

Anne

ennay
09-08-2007, 05:51 PM
And if I am any example, we all will be again, for one reason or another.

This is true...I should say I have been there at least 8 or 10 times!

LisaMarie71
09-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I forgot to post yesterday -- ran 3 miles with the cross country team in the hot hot sun. My husband had us running at race pace, then easy, then tempo pace, and it wore me out! The kids did well, though. Afterward, he had them do hill sprints up a ridiculously steep hill. I didn't do that with them!!

I'm hoping for a 10 mile run tomorrow -- we'll see how I feel!

HeatherAngel
09-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Cat - you are doing everything right... it can feel daunting for us 'newbies', but do what I do - think about what you COULDN'T do six weeks ago - three months ago - SIX months ago... haven't we come a LONG WAY? ;) you betcha!

onthetee - you can DO this, I KNOW you can. :hug: Hang in there, and don't dread it... maybe switch it up with something else to rebuild that confidence. For example, I walked four and a half miles yesterday as fast as I could (which was 4mph) and it made me feel great without being as wearing as the running. Worth a shot? Swimming, cycling, dancing nekkid 'round the house (preferably alone)?? :joker:

ennay
09-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Aaargh I am having a shoe timing issue! I bought 2 pairs in 2 brands that have both worked for me in the past and they were supposed to both be well broken in for the marathon. Well then as my mileage increased I realized that the brooks are great shoes....for under 10 miles...really under 7.

So then I realized my Asics were going to be shot for the marathon and bought a new pair...but with getting sick I didnt have a chance to start breaking them in before Hood-to-Coast and now I have very few short runs to break them in on. I'd like 100 miles on them before the marathon, but right now I would settle for a good 75 with at least one long run on them.

I wore them last week for a 6 and an 8 and both times my feet hurt all day so they are not ready. ACK. I'm wearing them to walk around town now to hopefully get them ready to do some serious running. Meanwhile my one broken in pair I was trying to save for the marathon just in case, but I can't run 20 miles on either of my other pairs, so I think they will be toast in another week or two. :mad:

I injured myself once running too far on shoes that were too new and I dont want to do that again.

LisaMarie71
09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, I didn't do my planned 10 miles today, because I desperately needed to sleep in, but I managed to get a 6 mile run in this evening. It was tough -- my legs felt extra heavy and tired -- but I managed to push it a little and do around a 10:45 mile pace on average. I'm pretty tired now, though -- I guess I'm still sort of recovering from last Sunday's half.

I won't be running tomorrow because I have to skip cross country practice. We have a parent/teacher night, and I can't meet parents all sweaty from running (though many of them have seen me like that already!)

I spent much of my run tonight thanking my legs for carrying me along and apologizing for saying bad things about them. As I posted in the 100lb. club, I'm pretty depressed after seeing my pictures on the site for my half. I look bigger than I thought I was, and you can see the extra skin on my inner thighs. It's pretty depressing, after all the miles I've run. But then I felt bad for complaining, considering how far these legs have taken me!

AnneWonders
09-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I spent much of my run tonight thanking my legs for carrying me along and apologizing for saying bad things about them. As I posted in the 100lb. club, I'm pretty depressed after seeing my pictures on the site for my half. I look bigger than I thought I was, and you can see the extra skin on my inner thighs. It's pretty depressing, after all the miles I've run. But then I felt bad for complaining, considering how far these legs have taken me!

:hug: I feel that way about half the time too. But when I finished my first half, I cried like a baby, I was so proud of myself. Nothing can take that feeling away ever. We are all so proud of you.

Anne

WindyCityChick
09-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone - checking in with a race report from my half marathon. It was a beautiful day here, perfect weather for running. 12,500 runners in this event - it was somewhat of a mob scene at the beginning (and the end) - I can't even imagine what the Chicago marathon is like, it's 3 times the size! (Makes me grateful I'm doing my first marathon in Portland, which will be smaller than the half I did today).

I finished in 2:18 which is 20 minutes faster than my time in the first half marathon I ran in June, so I'm very pleased. I felt pretty good the entire race - except for the moment when we were starting north on Lake Shore Drive (about mile 5), and saw the lead runners already headed back in the south bound lanes, they had already made it to mile 10 or so!

So, I have one more long run next weekend, then it's time to taper, yipee! I'm glad I'm doing the marathon, but training for it surely is time consuming.

AnneWonders
09-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I finished in 2:18 which is 20 minutes faster than my time in the first half marathon I ran in June, so I'm very pleased.

Excellent!

Anne

ennay
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Wooohooo Rachel!

Oh that is so funny about your time! I almost told you last week that a close friend of mine was running chicago, but I didnt see the point because in 12,500 runners its not like you would see her. But you guys finished really close together (I think she was about a minute or so behind you) so you probably passed eachother at some point or did that back and forth thing that I always do with people at around my pace!

I am so ready for portland to be here too. I am at that point where it is dictating everything. Do I dare go on a bike ride when I havent ridden a bike in months? My immune system is depressed so I have given up alcohol for the duration. And caffeine. And cut back on sugar. Crap.

Lisa - dont underestimate how long it takes to recover from a half. That mile/day rule isnt crap! It takes a good week or two to recover from a half and be back to your old self. And race photos just plain suck. I never like mine. You have done an amazing thing!

WindyCityChick
09-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks ladies! Ennay, that is funny about your friend being so close to me - I bet you're right, we were probably in the same pack for a good chunk of the race. I was definitely trading spots with some shirts that became very familiar by the end of the race. Can't believe you've given up alcohol, caffeine and sugar - I think that would be harder than running 26 miles!

Lisa, just wanted to chime in on the race photos - I think the only photos I liked from my first race were the photos my brother took - he was far enough away that the skin flaws didn't seem to show up, so I looked (almost) good. But the professional photos - ugh! Maybe it's those super sharp lenses they use. So, don't let them get you down - the fact that you've done the race is simply amazing, and you should be proud of that.

YP1
09-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't know whether this will work outside the UK but here goes...

Clicky here (http://www.itvlocal.com/granada/news/) to see the team I'm running the GNR (half marathon) with on Granada Reports (about 20 minutes in) (warning - the link might only work until it's replaced with tomorrow's edition).

[shameless plug]And if that inspires you to donate go to this page (http://www.xiiiheroes.com/donations/index.php) and add a note to say you're sponsoring me.[/shameless plug]

I did 8.8 this evening. I was aiming for about 10, but I ran out of steam midway up a hill after about 6 and decided to cut it a bit short. I think I'm still a bit tired from my 22 miler on Saturday.

HeatherAngel
09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh my gosh, my legs are SO sore from running 5K outside yesterday :lol: - I blame the hills!

Limped through the park with the dog today... might take tomorrow off and lick my shins - errr, wounds...

Heather :o

cakses
09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Got up to 1.5 miles today on the treadmill. I felt better but not awesome. Feeling a bit out of shape to be honest, like I was puffing and panting like I did in the first month of running. It still felt good though!

Tomorrow is a walk day then Wednesday I will re-try 1.5 and see if my legs will take me any farther! I'm sort of happy hanging around 1.5 for a little bit, maybe all week! Just playing it safe.

LisaMarie71
09-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the encouragement about my ugly leg pictures, guys!! :grouphug:

My legs really aren't THAT bad... In fact, it's just that inner thigh part that troubles me. The rest of them are developing quite well as far as muscles go, and I've been happy with them until I saw that jiggly bit in the pictures. Ugh.

No run today because of parent/teacher night, but I'll be back out at practice tomorrow. Not sure what we'll be doing, though.

shananigans
09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
*slinking back in*

Hi ladies! Long time no chat.

Rachel - Conrats on your half, taking 20 min off your previous best is amazing.

Cat - You'll get back up to speed, just listen to your body and allow it to heal. You're doing what you can, which is great!

Lisa - Sounds like the coaching is going well.

I kind of got sucked into wedding maddness and didn't run for 2 weeks. I had out of town guests and multiple wedding related events going on for about a week, and there was the preparations and recovering, so it pretty much took me totally out of my routine, both eating and exersize. I can only imagine what will happen to me next spring when it's my wedding. :yikes:

I'm always scared to start running again after a hiatus, like I will be right back where I started. Went out and took it easy for a 5 k on Saturday and did the same yesterday. I'm definitly feeling it more and I can tell I took some time off, but I can still do it.

Planning of doing a local race, the Zoo Run Run (http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1467298), on 9/23 so that will keep me motivated to get back to it!

LisaMarie71
09-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Glad you're back, shananigans!!

Tonight I only got a 1/2 mile run in...which is like...nothing. But I was flying! We did intervals on the track at practice, and I skipped most of it because I was helping my husband time the kids and watching their form and all that (doing coachy things). At the end we did a different kind of workout that was sort of like a fartlek, and I ended up only catching the last two laps of it. I was pushing it on the sprints, though. Amazing how much a 4 or 5 minute workout can make you sweat when it's hard, fast running!! I'm working on the speed thing these days a little bit... not too much, but I'm starting to think about it.

Tomorrow we're making the kids do a 6-mile run. Woohoo!! I'm looking forward to getting a decent length run in during the week. It's hard to get them in when I run with the kids, because we usually do shorter runs.

WindyCityChick
09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Welcome back Shananigans! Wedding planning sounds like a pretty reasonable excuse to miss out on a few runs, at least you're getting back out there now. And a race is definitely a good way to scare yourself into training.

Apparently my speed racer persona (not!) is continuing...I ran 7 miles today, and posted a new record for me for the mile (got to hear Lance Armstrong congratulate me for it on my ipod, which is always nice). Not sure whether to chalk it up to the cooler weather, or whether this training stuff really is kicking in. Either way, it feels great!

AnneWonders
09-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Rachel, aren't good runs nice? I had a GREAT run this morning, 3 miles with one walk break. The whole thing was fast (for me), too! It was a hard run, but I was up to it, and that felt good. Came back, grabbed the dogs for their 1 mile walk, just finishing up breakfast now and off to work.

I have 2 bikes and a swim before my 5K on Sunday. I'll be running with DD in the stroller, so won't be setting any records, but I'm looking forward to it.

Have a great day everybody.

Anne

YP1
09-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Good runs are fantastic - I had one tonight. With marathon training I haven't really done anything fast recently, but decided to do something faster and shorter tonight - I managed 7.2 miles at sub 8 minute mile pace and felt great the whole way round :faint:

Before my last marathon I raced a lot more than I've done before this one, so I haven't really had any way to guage my progress, but that run's given me real confidence that maybe I'm in pretty decent form at the moment.

LisaMarie71
09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm so glad everyone's having good runs! I had a good, easy run with the cross country team tonight. We had them run six miles, which is longer than our usual runs, and they did really well! Some of the fast kids did seven miles. It felt good, but it's becoming VERY obvious to me that my shoes are dead. I got new ones but they had to order a bigger size, so I have to pick them up this week.

onthetee
09-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Even I had a good run tonight.

It must just be the home treadmill that is holding me back. I have had a horrible time the past week. Sucking wind at two minutes (?!), sweating like a pig, total energy failure....until tonight.

I ran 1.29 and my legs got tight. Walked a bit and finished with another .7. It is not going to set the world on fire, but it has me back on track. Now that I know the mileage (new route), I know I can do the two easily, and probably more. I was doing so well, I did not want to risk injury. My hamstrings are like cables after weeding for a few hours yesterday.

Baby, we were born to run......

ennay
09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
I did NADA today and it felt sooooo gooooood. :D

shananigans
09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
ennay - way to take a rest, we all need that once in a while :)

I don't know why but yesterday's run really kicked me. It wasn't a bad run by any means, but all last evening I was just tired and me legs could definitly feel it. Guess I'm still feeling the efects of those couple weeks I took off.

Running again tomorrow, strenght training tonight.

In other news, my scale numbers have pretty much recovered from the two weeks of insane eating and no exersize.

ennay
09-13-2007, 05:21 PM
9.9 this morning..one of those days I was glad in the end that I had a friend meeting me for the last 5 because the first 2 miles were so awful if she hadnt been there I would have turned around and gone home. I was struggling to hold 90 seconds slower per mile than normal pace on a DOWNhill stretch...it was ugly. But I finally loosened up and while it wasnt a fast run it wasnt too terribly slow, although slower than it should have been. I havent been doing my speed and tempo work very consistantly.

LisaMarie71
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
I didn't run today, but I did 32 minutes on the elliptical instead. We didn't have cross country practice because of faculty meetings, and I missed running with the kids! I have a cold, though, so I was kind of glad to miss it because of that. We'll see how it goes tomorrow...

WindyCityChick
09-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi ladies - 10.5 miles for me today, and it was a glorious day weather-wise here, so I really enjoyed it. Gotta store up the feeling from these days for those cold snowy days that I know are coming too soon.

ennay
09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
sigh...this is one of those days where the baby just didnt let me run.

HeatherAngel
09-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Bugger - took my run outside and really seem to have hurt myself... managed 1.5 miles and limped the rest of the way home :(

I shall ice and rest and see what damage I've done... poop.

onthetee
09-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Heather, that inhales. I hope it is just a minor, quick-healing injury. A little ibuprofen can go a long way.

I had a better run than I planned to have today. I went to the gym and got my superstitiously-favorite treadmill. I did my warm-up, went to potty and came back thinking, "Heck with this, I will just go to the elliptical and be done." As I thought about why I did not want to run, I realized it was fear of failure. "Just don't fail. It is that easy."

So I ran my 20 pretty easily. I decided to call it quits and started the cool down. Then all this happened in my little head:

What are you doing? You are not sore, winded or tired. Start running. (so I did).

Go for three more minutes. (I did)

You can make it to the five. (I did. Then I started doing math in my head about tenths of mile in how many seconds and how far and long, etc etc etc. Remember--the treadmill would tell me all of this, but I am a number cruncher by nature.)

Kick it up to 5.6. See how you look at 8. Eight will be 28 minutes total. Are you some sort of weenie? Just don't stop. All you have to do is not stop. (I make it to 8)

Your longest is 29 minutes, surely, you can do that. And if you can do nine, then do 10. (At ten, I was at .8 something miles)

One mile. All you have to do it complete the mile. Can't do it? Make it to .95. (I did) All you have is 5 one-hundredths of a mile and you are not sure you can make it? Seriously? Are you that pathetic? What is your prob..... (I hit the mile at 11:01 and hit the cool down button)

31 minutes!!! If my head would just grasp that I can do it without stopping, I could do three miles. While calling myself names works sometimes, I am thinking about asking people on treadmills around me to insult me. "In two minutes, could you look at me and tell me that I am a pathetic lump? Thanks."

"If you see me hit the cool down button before 30 minutes, could you sneer condescendingly at me and say something like, "On your way to Burger King, Pudge?"

"When I slow down, could you whisper to your friend over there, 'I knew she wouldn't last' and then laugh?"

Maybe there is a podcast out there to humiliate runners into performing better!
:dizzy:

AnneWonders
09-14-2007, 10:04 PM
ennay, who's in charge over there? Don't answer that! ;)

Heather, rest up.

Onthetee, congrats on your groundbreaking run! Make sure that you stop talking that smack to yourself now that you've done it!

Oh yeah, no running for me today. I biked and swam. Off to find a biking thread...

Anne

ennay
09-14-2007, 10:41 PM
While calling myself names works sometimes, I am thinking about asking people on treadmills around me to insult me. "In two minutes, could you look at me and tell me that I am a pathetic lump? Thanks."

"If you see me hit the cool down button before 30 minutes, could you sneer condescendingly at me and say something like, "On your way to Burger King, Pudge?"

"When I slow down, could you whisper to your friend over there, 'I knew she wouldn't last' and then laugh?"

:rofl:

LisaMarie71
09-15-2007, 09:35 AM
onthetee, I loved your post!

Heather, I hope everything's ok! Take it easy!

I only ran 1 mile yesterday with the cross country team. Our workouts are starting to include different stuff and I'm having a hard time getting any kind of distance in except for once or twice a week, but I'm ok with it for right now. I kind of wanted to decrease my mileage after the half anyway.

Taking today off and then going to try for a long run tomorrow.

ennay
09-15-2007, 01:39 PM
22.22 :carrot: hellooooooo taper I am so glad you are here!:D

Maintained my pace and some decent hillwork in there. And DOGS...man the dogs were out today.

YP1
09-15-2007, 03:58 PM
My routine has been somewhat disrupted this week by family stuff. I'd planned 20+ for today, ended up doing 17.1. But I'm happy with that because I was in a situation where I'd normally do nothing, so 5 miles would have been an achievement let alone 17 (I was staying with my grandparents and as I'd gone over there to deal with a crisis felt bad about staying out longer than two and a half hours or so). Also, it was a conscious decision to do a shorter run, and I felt like I could have kept going at the end if I'd had the time, which puts it in a different category in my head to the 17 mile runs where you run 17 instad of 20 because you can't face taking another stop. So I'll take that, but really need to get a decent run in next weekend as that's my last real opportunity before starting to taper.

WindyCityChick
09-16-2007, 04:51 PM
22.22 hellooooooo taper I am so glad you are here!

You and me both Ennay! Just finished my last long run - 20 miles, and I am very happy to be at taper time too. :D

I actually felt the worst at the 16 - 18 mile mark, then seemed to pick up again toward the end, which is unusual - typically, it's the last mile or so that I find the hardest. Whatever, I feel good that it's done, and I can relax a little before 26.2.

ennay
09-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Thats kind of how I was...18-19 was really tough, and then it got easier. But I am usually like that, I am like a horse headed for the stable as soon as I cross the last highway and I know I am only 2.5 miles from home

AnneWonders
09-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Did my anniversary 5K today. 39minutes and change. More than 9 minutes off my PR, but I figure the 50lbs of stroller and kid gave me a handicap. I did run all of it, exceeding my expectations, except the usual walking at the aid station, and the last quarter mile or so was on grass, and running with the stroller there just wasn't going to happen. DD was asking to run, so I pulled her out of the stroller about a block from the end, and we ran across the finish line together. I gave her the medal, and she was very proud and happy with it.

Anne

LisaMarie71
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Congrats, Anne!!

I didn't get to do my long run today. If I don't get up early, it just doesn't seem to work out. We were out most of the day and I had to squeeze in a quick 3 miles before dark when I got home. It was definitely a QUICK 3 miles, though -- the fastest I've ever done. I ran it in 27:26. I don't know what got into me. I had all this energy all day and I was dying for a run, so I just burned it up. Also, all those faster runs with the cross country team are helping me build my speed.

rswlchic
09-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Hello all,

Thought I would join your thread. I am new to 3FC and am looking for some motiviation. I am working on my first 1/2 marathon. I trained once before but got injured after building up to 9 miles. Presently back up to 5 miles. As a matter of fact I ran my first 5 mile rd race this weekend and finished in 49 min and 20 secs. This is a personal best.

Well that's all for now. Hope you guys don't mind if I post my two cents every now and again.

ennay
09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Welcome rswlchic!!:D

LisaMarie71
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Welcome rswlchic!! :)

I ran a total of around 3.3 miles with my students today, and the first 2.25 miles were TOUGH. We did a workout my husband and I discovered called "killer dillers," which is basically a fartlek type workout. You alternate short sprints with short jogs on a track without stopping for 20 minutes. Your recovery jogs are so short that you can't really catch your breath between sprints. It's pretty tough and the kids complain, but it's a great workout. After that, we ran a mile through the trails.

cakses
09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
I did a 1.3 mile run today with little to no pain, except being out of breath. Once I hit the 1 mile mark (where I have been stuck) I was running out of time before the bus came, so I sped through the last .3 miles as fast as I could, which apparently is a 10 minute pace. I probably could have lasted longer, but I was out of time and I'm not in a rush to hurt myself again. Enjoying the running again without pain is a nice change! Wednesday I will again try for 1.5 miles and see where I end up.

kmelody
09-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a new runner and I'd love to join you here if you don't mind! When I was younger, I despised running. However, as I've grown, I'm becoming more and more curious about the exercise that manages to relieve stress, is a relatively easy way to a calorie deficit, and requires no equipment (other than a good pair of shoes). I began by using Cool Running's couch to 5k program, yet I prefer to run hard intervals. I signed up for my first 5k on October 7th and I'm really excited! In the short 4 months that I've been running, I've seen quite the definition in my legs and a slight reduction of body fat. I'm looking forward to sharing my running triumphs and woes with all of you here! Hope you don't mind another newbie on board! :)

ennay
09-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Welcome kmelody!

cakses - glad to see things are getting back on track

ran 5 this morning...it felt weird to stop that soon!

YP1
09-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Hello everyone.

I really couldn't face running last night. I got to running club, sat in the changing rooms and just knew that I didn't feel good enough to go out there. I always feel guilty when I skip a club run, particularly if I haven't run the day before, but I'm learning to know when I'd be better resting, which is good.

The good bit is that I did 7.1 miles this morning instead. I call it mental training - because it was actually really cold when I left the house, and I froze on the bike on the way to the gym I decided not to go for a run outside, but to do an hour on the treadmill. That thing is way too boring, but I stuck with it to the end which I'm quite pleased with.

I've got a club handicap 10k race tomorrow which hopefully I'll feel a bit more up for, a 5 mile race on Saturday, a long run on Sunday and a big half marathon next week so I've got a busy couple of weeks coming up.

HeatherAngel
09-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi all! :wave:

I'm still not running - need to rest this up before I get back... and boy am I missing it!!

Living vicariously through all of you - :lol3:

LisaMarie71
09-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Welcome kmelody! :)

Ran about three miles with the cross country team, through the trails in the woods. Fun stuff. Then we did barefoot 100s on the football field, and my black toenail finally fell off! It's been threatening to fall off since May, and the one on the other foot is next. The kids were freaking out about it, and one of them named my toenail and told me to keep it in a jar... :dizzy:

In less silly news, I think I may have hurt myself somehow. My left hamstring is constantly sore now, in an excessive way. Ugh. Taking tomorrow off because we have a cross country meet, so I'll just be watching the kids run their race.

rswlchic
09-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey Guys,

I had my 3.5 mile run this am. Pretty good time of 36 mins. My knee seemed to hold up ok. I wanted to ask. What do you guys take for sore knees. I have been to two orthopedic surgeons, 1 chiro, had 2 sets xrays done and an MRI. All show my knees as healthy and normal. Yet I still have knee pain. My Chiro seems to think I have falling arches so I had othotics made for my shoes. This helped for a few weeks but now the stiffness and pain is back. I don't feel the pain when I am running it is mainly a couple hours afterwards and lasts for several days sometimes. Any advice you guys can give would be great.

Thanks,

elisa822
09-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey everyone!

I don't post here often but come here for inspiration and advice, which I need now.

I'm doing my first 5k run next Sunday but I've struggled recently. Most of my cardio is made up of running or spinning. I usually only run twice a week but I've been doing 5k for a while now. My problems are first that the last two or three runs have not been great - they've felt "harder" and my times have been so-so and I have no idea why!

I'm not sure you can help with that but more imporatantly, since it's only 5k, does it matter how much I run/exercise the week before. I really wanted to run every other day (today, Friday, Sunday, Tuesday and the Thursday) before the race. That's not too much is it??

I'm just a bit confused and my hunch is just don't go crazy before but there's no need to stop running more than 2 or 3 days before.

Any thoughts would be appreciated....Thanks!

:D

HeatherAngel
09-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Lisa - how's the leg today? My knee is still giving me trouble, and I am missing running like I used to miss pizza - ! :lol3:

Elisa - welcome, and I'm sure someone more experienced than me can help you out! :)

K8-EEE
09-19-2007, 01:33 PM
OMG! For somebody just starting out running (I can't even call what I'm doing running, I just ASPIRE to be able to run at this point!) you all are very inspiring!!!

YP1
09-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Stick with it, and you'll be surprised how soon you get into the habit, and from there it all comes together.

I did a 10k handicap race at running club. The time they put me down for was a little optimistic, but I still overtook more people than overtook me, and finished in about 50 minutes so it wasn't too bad.

ennay
09-19-2007, 06:15 PM
About 7 this morning - 5 miles of tempo run in there...feeling good!

LisaMarie71
09-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Heather, I didn't get to run today because we had a cross country meet, but my leg is still quite sore. I'll do an easy run tomorrow with the team and see what happens. The kids did really well tonight, though!

MariaMaria
09-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Elisa-- How old are your shoes?

If it were me I wouldn't double my mileage the week leading up to the race.

elisa822
09-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks Maria - I think I will cut down that running a bit. My left shin has been telling me that maybe it's too much! As for my shoes, they're still fairly new. I only wear them to run and they've clocked in at about 200 km...still good, as far as I know.

I think I was so set on breaking my 30 minute mark that it was really stressing me out. I should just go and have fun. I also checked on gmaps pedometer site and, from what I can see, their 5k route is more like 5.5. Is that possible?? If so, even that extra 1/2 kilometer will cost me a bit of time.

I'm going to just try to enjoy myself! ;)

MariaMaria
09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
In the US if your race is sanctioned by USATF (and if the race is being run/held by any good-sized organization, it should be) you can expect the distance to be correct. If not, no guarantees. In other countries there should be an equivalent organization.

You're having trouble with both knees and one shin. To me that says either old shoes, bad shoes (not right for your feet) or overuse.

YP1
09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Usually if a race says that it's a certain distance it's been accurately measured and verified - certainly in the UK if they have a race permit, it will have been accurately measured. There are some races which say they're roughly a certain distance and make it clear that they're not accurately measured, but I tend to assume that if it's being promoted as a 5k, they've measured it. The website measuring sites can be a bit out depending how accurate you are at placing the markers.

LisaMarie71
09-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Three easy miles with my students tonight, and then I got to chill out and watch them do hill sprints. I'm still having that tightness and soreness in my left hamstring, but I'm hoping it'll go away!

elisa822
09-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the information everyone!

I should, of course, have trusted that the 5k would be accurate considering it is sanctioned by the Association of International Marathons and is used as a qualifying run for the Boston Marathon...for those doing the full marathon of course! ;)

Maria - I still tend to doubt it's the shoes (although anything is possible). The one knee was just one time. I've had the shoes for a few months. They were fitted at a proper store and great from day one so I don't think that's it. I think you got it right on the second suggestion and that it's likely overuse. I did ramp up the training a bit. I'm pulling back some so I make sure that I can enjoy the day.

Feeling much better today!

ennay
09-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I have had races be not accurate, if they are small races, often they are measured with inaccurate measuring devices. Hood - to Coast is a notoriously inaccurate large event. I think in the states unless the race is listed as USTAF or similar certified, it cant be trusted completely

actually...not to be a wet towel ...but I find the most likely events to not be accurate are the shorter races associated with a larger race...just like what you are saying. I would not be at all surprised if a 5K associated with a marathon would be off a little

They certify the heck out of the "big race" but the little race is usually an afterthought. But also, what they tell you the course will be on a map, and what they actually end up placing the cones may be slightly different.

Just my experience. I did a "10k" last year in conjunction with a "20.07K" (next year it will be a 20.08K"). They remeasure the 20K every year to get that 0.0X right on, but they havent remeasured the 10K in several years and it was a good 0.2 short. Its right down the street from my house so I neurotically went back and measured it by GMAPS, Garmin, Car odometer and Calibrated Bike odometer and it was short by all measurements.

LisaMarie71
09-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Ran 5.75 miles with the cross country team tonight. Supposed to be 6 miles but when I got close to the school I found one of our students had become dehydrated and collapsed. Eek! He's ok now -- just didn't drink enough water today.

I twisted my ankle a little and it's still hurting now. That's no good!

ennay
09-22-2007, 12:36 PM
feel better Lisa

I had a COLD 15 miles this morning. It was 56 when I left the house which is normally well in to shortsleeved weather especially for a long run. But it just kept getting colder and colder and the wind was icy. By the end I couldnt feel my arms.

Got back and it was 49. I am guessing the coldest was right at sunrise when the clouds moved away before the sun was actually up, probably dipped well below 50.

YP1
09-22-2007, 02:48 PM
I did a 5 mile race in my local park this morning. I wasn't sure whether I was going to do it, and it wasn't really a target race, so I ran yesterday and then went out and drank a bit too much red wine last night. I was hungover this morning, but it was a lovely morning so I decided to go out and see what I could do.

I'm pleased and disappointed at the same time. When we set off I was sitting in 3rd place (women) for the first 2 miles or so, but I started to fade a bit (probably because of the tired legs and red wine), and someone from running club overtook me. I know I'm usually faster than she is, but I just couldn't face pushing myself hard enough to catch up with her - I'm meant to be doing a long run tomorrow so didn't want to use all my energy on the race. So I finished 4th, which is the highest I've ever managed, but I know that I could have got 3rd if I'd been a bit more committed. Still, it's a good sign I suppose. It was only a small race, but 4th is still 4th.

I just about got a PB. I am fairly sure that I could do 5 miles faster than I did today, but the route surprised me by being mainly on trails rather than footpaths/roads, so I suppose that might have slowed me down a bit too.

Also, I've just seen the results of the relay I did at the start of the month. I think we'd finished fourth on our leg, but it turns out that one of the teams just in front of us were given a time penalty so we actually got third place :carrot:

LisaMarie71
09-23-2007, 12:08 PM
That's fantastic, Helen!! :cheer2:

I finally got up and did a long run today. I realized I hadn't done one longer than six miles in nearly a month, so I did 10 miles today. It wasn't easy, but I made it and I had around a 11:15 pace. It felt good to do a nice long run for a change.

elisa822
09-23-2007, 01:53 PM
It's a beautiful day for a run here! Sunny (I love the sun) and about 20C - I think that's about 65 F. Just lovely.

I decided to just take it nice and slow and see if that helped me enjoy my run. As I said before, the last few 5k's have been hard so I ignored the time and just kept it nice and easy. So, the difference between a hard 5k and an easy 5k for me? A minute and a half. Funny what a difference it made. The question for next Sunday will be - time or enjoyment! I know I should just enjoy, especially since I'm not even sure how accurate my ipod is for distance.

I know lots of you love the cold for running btu I'm not sure that I'll be one of them. I don't mind a little heat and sweat but we'll see. If I have to, I'll hit the treadmill for the winter!

Hope everyone else has a great run too!

ennay
09-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Awesome 5K today...I wasnt expecting much since it was a 1st time race and they did have a couple major goofs (no online presence or registration and the same day as the second largest Race for the Cure in downtown) but the support was fantastic. I dont like 5K's but I will do this one again.

And super psyched about my time..24:03:carrot::carrot:. If you had ever told me that I could break the 8 min mile barrier I would have said you were high. And there was a pretty big hill in the middle, my first and 3rd miles were both ~7:30 pace.

I dont do 5K's often..that was my first one since 2005 but that was a 5 minute PR.

My only growl is they didnt do AG awards - only top 2 open and masters. This would have been the first time I could have gotten one ever. It was an out and back course so I know there were 7 (possibly 6) women ahead of me. 3 were clearly VERY young. 2 were the masters winners, so at most 2 women in the vast AG of 21-40 were ahead of me. And I may never know since they had no online presence for registration, I dont know if results will be anywhere.

WindyCityChick
09-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Howdy everyone! Things have been so busy lately, I haven't had time to post. And when I do get hear, I read Lisa is having all sorts of injury issues - fortunately, none sound serious, but make sure you take care of yourself!

It has been a glorious week of weather here - perfect temps for running. With the marathon approaching, I've been restraining myself from going on longer runs, but it is soooo tempting when the weather is so nice. Ennay, I'm sure you can guarantee that Portland will be perfect weather (including rain-free) in two weeks, right? ;)

ennay
09-23-2007, 05:29 PM
I'll do my best Rachel! The first weather prediction should come in on Thursday or Friday this week with no accuracy whatsoever. Temps were perfect today and yesterday. Rain called for next week....

shananigans
09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Long time, no post here.

Lisa - sorry you've had some issues, hope they clear up soon.

ennay - What a great 5k time!

I still haven't found the posted times from my race yesterday, I e-mailed them to ask when and where they'll be posted. By my stopwatch my time was 31:06, about 30 seconds faster than my last 5k. I haven't really been training too hard so I guess I'll take it.

This cooler weather is making running so much more pleasant. Best enjoy it while I can before it gets too cold!

Good luck with the final weeks of training you marathoners.

LisaMarie71
09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the support, guys -- I think my issues are clearing up. I felt pretty good on my 10 miles yesterday, all things considered, and today I felt just fine. We had a tough hill workout at cross country practice -- eek! Fun but tough.

WindyCityChick
09-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi runners! Ran 4 very sticky miles today - suddenly, the heat and humidity of August have returned to Chicago for one last blast. This tapering stuff is crazy - I barely felt like I started my run when it was time to turn around and come home!

Lisa, glad to hear things have improved injury-wise. Make sure you take care of yourself, you're a coach, people are depending on you!

AnneWonders
09-24-2007, 10:49 PM
A great quote from a local coach, "It takes guts to taper." :) Stick to it.

Anne

shananigans
09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
I finally found the results of the race, they posted a "time" (31:21) and then a "net time" (31:04)? I presume the first is the time from the starting gun to the finish and the net is the time it took from starting line to finish line, but why bother posting the first one at all? Just kind of confusing I guess.

Quite a slow bunch, the average time for all 438 participants was 31:31. I finished 212 out of 438 and 117 out of 296 females, never thought I'd see myself finishing in the top half of any race :D

ennay
09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
What does it say about me that I am quite enjoying taper and have no urge to go farther? But I do feel quite lazy this week.

So I got my 5K results and I did indeed win 35-40 AG! I was 8th female out of 114 finishers (I got beat by a 12 year old!) and 39th overall out of 214 finishers.

YP1
09-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Well done! I haven't found any official results for my race from Saturday but I checked at the end and was definitely 4th, I'm not sure about how it works out age group wise or how many I was 4th out of.

I did about 17 miles round London on Sunday. I'm getting better at doing my long runs when I'm travelling, although because I only really know the touristy bits of London that meant running through them and struggling a bit with dodging tourists. I was also suffering a bit from the race on saturday so didn't quite do the 20 I'd planned.

I've got a half this weekend, so that will be a nice rest! I'm due to start tapering after Sunday, but might try to fit one long run in after that because the half won't be anywhere near full effort. I'll see how I feel though, I know a lot of people who have tried two week tapers and say they work, but I'm a bit nervous because I've always gone into a marathon off three.

ennay
09-25-2007, 09:55 PM
How do you do your taper?

I am doing a 3 week taper, but the first week still was pretty dang high mileage. I did 80% of max week, then this week is 50% then, next week is just enough to be fresh for the race

AnneWonders
09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
2.5 miles this morning. Ran the whole way and it felt great. It was 60F so it was a nice morning and I got back home just as the sun rose.

Anne

YP1
09-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Ennay - my taper tends to go 75%, 50%, 25% + marathon. Based on an average mileage of 40 mpw, that's 30, 20, 10 + 26.2. It worked for me last time, but I'll see how I feel after the weekend and whether I want to fit another long one in before Amsterdam.

10.3 this evening. I hadn't run since Sunday so I felt pretty fresh. The only problem was it was SOOO cold. I'm really not looking forward to winter.

I'm running into work tomorrow, then that's probably it until Sunday. I'd prefer not to do my only two runs of the week so close together, but that's the way it worked best logistically and at the moment I have to go with what's easiest to fit in.

WindyCityChick
09-27-2007, 01:07 AM
I decided to follow a 75/50/25 taper on the advice of a few friends, so that's what I've been doing. And then, lo and behold, I visit the Runners World website today and read an article about how tapering this much can actually hurt your race day performance! Whatever - I decided that for a first marathon, it's not likely to make much difference. The real problem with tapering is all the extra time I have on my hands to read silly articles!

Ran 4 miles tonight, and broke the 9 minute mile mark for the first time - so the extra rest must be doing something good for me.

YP1
09-27-2007, 03:41 AM
I did another 8.9 this morning. The direct route to work is about 5 miles, but my legs felt pretty good so I decided to go a slightly longer way round. I seem to be picking a bit of confidence back up, my running hasn't been bad bad recently, but because it's been disrupted by other events I feel like I take a few too many days off, struggle to get back into it, then do back to back runs and tire myself out, then the cycle goes round again.

The problem with all the different theories about tapering is working out what works for you, which might be different to other people. You don't get too many goes at it with them being the sort of races that you don't do too many of, for Edinburgh I did the 75/50/25 thing and felt really good on the day, but was that because my training was good or because my taper was good? Would I have felt even better if I'd tapered differently? I just don't know. And even if I taper differently this time, will any difference be because of the change to the taper or the changes to my training? I think a lot of it has to be gut instinct. Hopefully you know how well you recover, how much rest you need. If your legs are itching to run then sometime's it's better to go out and do it, but to keep it a bit more relaxed than trying to hit time and distance targets.

I'm waffling.

ennay
09-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm struggling with taper..

I feel like I should be getting more energy at some point and I am not. I struggled to make my 5 miles yesterday. I have no desire to run at all. All I want to do is curl up in bed, but I am not sleeping. (so much for overtraining causing my insomnia)

I'm also eating myself out of house and home. I think taper has kicked off a cycle of depression.

I do wonder about over tapering for me. Just because my PR's keep happening on races I run tired and not on races I taper for. All of my races that I did well on this year I had no taper. My fastest 5K prior to this past weekend was at the end of my triathlon. I just seem to stagnate quickly.

gloom and doom...blah

ennay
09-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Rachel - The so-far-away-we-pulled-this-out-of-our-butt forecast for portland marathon..sunny, high of 65 low of 52.

Hoping the sunny part changes to partly sunny or overcast.

HeatherAngel
09-28-2007, 09:44 PM
I haven't posted because I'm struggling, folks. Did 3 miles today but it was HARD... I feel like I've lost a lot of ground with that injury; I only ran Sunday and now Friday this week :( I need to do a little better than this... maybe I'm losing motivation, or maybe my focus is elsewhere, but I'm working on getting back into my 'groove'! My cardio ability seems to have dropped... maybe I'll look at upping my protein as well.

I have nothing to add on tapering - I haven't reached that point yet! :lol3:

LisaMarie71
09-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Heather, you'll get back on track soon, don't worry! :hug:

I ran our cross country course with the kids tonight. We timed it, and I did 31:57, which wasn't great but I was feeling REALLY tired so I expected it to be worse.

We have an invitational race tomorrow so I'll be watching kids run all day. We have two middle schoolers running at 9:00am and then we have to hang out there until our high schoolers run at 2:00pm. Jeez. I guess I'd better take papers to grade!! Should be fun, though -- I'm hoping the kids will get some kind of medals or a little trophy or something! :)

AnneWonders
09-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Heather, we all have bad spots now and then. Make sure you take enough time to recover properly, start slowly and you'll be back in no time.

2 miles for me this morning on a trail run. Just under 30 minutes. Did some run/walking since it was tougher than the roads I'm used to.

Anne

ennay
09-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Heather - hang in there... everyone has hard days. There are days I cant run 2 miles.

cakses
09-29-2007, 04:28 PM
I have fallen off the running wagon as well. I got hurt, i couldn't run, then I tried to make a come back and I still haven't been able to do more than 1.4 miles. Now my back is out of sorts - it's neverending!

Going to try to run tomorrow and just walk every day to keep cardio going. My treadmill is staring at me and starting to get dusty...shh don't tell my husband! I will do at least 5 days this week! I'm promising myself now!

LisaMarie71
09-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I didn't get to run today, so I'm just reporting back about how well my students did in their cross country invitational race this afternoon!

Our boys placed second in their division, with some of our boys coming in 2nd, 3rd, and 9th overall. The girls didn't place that high, but it was a great experience for them and they gave it their all. It was fun to see all the young folks out there running hard on a tough course. And it was very weird to be there as a coach. It's still so strange! It was a great experience for the kids, though -- running in a big race instead of our small district meets. They got to actually pin a number to their shirts and there was a water stop for them. For some reason, they were thrilled about grabbing that cup of water! It made them feel like "real runners," which they are! We took them out for ice cream afterward and took lots of pictures of them and felt like proud parents. :lol:

WindyCityChick
09-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Rachel - The so-far-away-we-pulled-this-out-of-our-butt forecast for portland marathon..sunny, high of 65 low of 52.

Hoping the sunny part changes to partly sunny or overcast

Ennay, I've been watching the forecast all week, and was relieved when Sunday finally came out looking rain free, after a lot of rainy days! And the forecast has changed over the last day (at least on weather.com) from sunny to partly cloudy - sounds like ideal weather for a marathon to me! (Now let's hope those weather folks have at least some clue what they're talking about).

Ran my measly little 3 miles today...and spent all that extra time on my hands shopping for more new fall clothes. Very dangerous stuff, this tapering.

Lisa, sounds like you are really enjoying your coaching duties. I am so glad you decided to do this, it must be really rewarding.

And for the rest of you struggling runners - hang in there! It is so true that some days are just tough - keep going, and enjoy the days that are good ones.

ennay
09-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Well today the forecast says showers.. Showers are ok, showers here usually mean spritzing with maybe an occasional drizzle, but not enough to soak you or chill you. 80-90% of the time showers is at most a mist.

Rain means actual rain.

So ever since I started tapering, my knees, which didnt bother me the entire time I was training, have been aching. Not pain, it doesnt feel like an injury, just achy and tired - like what you expect to feel AFTER the marathon. I wake up in the morning and they ache. Grrrrr.. Did Ibu/ice and biking yesterday. (I had a similar feeling in may and went on one bike ride and my knees crackled and then they felt fine after that - the bike motion seems to help). They do feel a bit better this morning so I think I am going to ibu and ice today and tomorrow and do a little biking whenever it is not pouring (which is what it is doing today)

elisa822
09-30-2007, 12:37 PM
My first official 5k is done...phew! I had a great time last week so I'm slightly disappointed but I made my original goal of breaking the 30 minute mark. I came in at 29:59.6 Couldn't possibly have cut it any closer!!

Choosing a world class marathon with over 12,000 runners as your first 5k is probably not the best idea, but it was really cool. I was pretty nervous and completely overwhelmed by the number of people but still glad to be a part of it.

I was already able to get my official time, thanks to the magic of chip timing, and I could see that I finished 14/149 for my AG and 392/1756 for all the participants.

I can't say that I loved it. I was fairly winded and it was a bit crowded at the beginning. I'm proud of myself but do wish I could have done a bit better.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

ennay
09-30-2007, 12:41 PM
OMG elisa that is an AWESOME 5K. Plus to be dealing with the crowds at the start...its really hard to make up that time in a 5K.

Fairly winded at the end of a 5K race....sounds like you ran it perfectly!

LisaMarie71
09-30-2007, 12:48 PM
elisa, that is FANTASTIC!!! :cheer2:

I'm hoping to break the 30 minute mark in my 5K at the end of this month, but I don't really see it happening. I ran our course at school in 31:57 the other day. Eek.

I've become much faster than I used to be, though. I was looking at my training log today and I noticed that I have lots more 10 minute mile pace runs than 11 or 12 now. They're becoming the norm, with a few in the 9 range and a few in the slower range here and there. Today I did 4.6 miles at what felt like a comfortable, easy pace. When I got home and logged it I realized it was an average 10:28. I still think of that as fast for me, but I guess it's not anymore. I was a 12:00 runner for such a long time, it seemed, so I can't get used to the 10 range. Coaching and running with my students has made a HUGE difference. And then of course there's just the fact that you get better with more miles under your belt anyway.

Going back to the New Balance store again today for the 9 millionth time to try to finally get the right size shoes. My last pair were 9.5 and were too short (hence the one missing toenail and the other black one about to fall off). This time they put me in 11, which seems odd but felt ok at the store. When I run, though, it feels like I'm running in clown shoes...

Ok, enough rambling! I have so much to do today!

ennay, take care of those knees!
Rachel, I can't wait to hear your marathon report!

WindyCityChick
09-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Elisa, that is an amazing performance for a first race! I just broke the 30 minute barrier for my 5k time about a month ago, so you rock!:carrot:

YP1
09-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Well done Elisa!

I jogged a half marathon today - it was my slowest half by almost an hour (and in fact within an hour of my marathon PB), but I was running with a team of runners, wheelchairs and cyclists, and the job was to stick together to get the wheelchairs round the course, rather than to go for individual good times. It was a really big race (40,000 runners I think), so it was nice to be able to jog/walk round and soak up the atmosphere - we got loads of extra cheers when we came into view - and I made it onto tv in running kit (and wasn't horrified by the thought!)

ennay
09-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Lisa - good luck, I bet you can do it. One of the things I had to figure out for 5K races ...once I was a distance runner and 5K was now a "shorter run" was to NOT pace myself. That for most people once they are at a certain fitness level, even if they end up running the last mile slower they dont lose as much as if they had held back half-way. The first time I ever broke 30 min I was with a much faster friend and tried to stay with her. I faded badly at the end, but still shaved almost 2 minutes off my time. This last one I ran (I dont run 5K's often) I sprinted the first 1/2 mile, then I slowed a bit, but I still shaved several minutes off my PR.

That sounds like fun Helen

LisaMarie71
09-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Yep, ennay, I'm sort of figuring that out too, but it's scary not to hold back in the beginning. Now that I can run 10 miles or slightly more without killing myself, I know that a 3.1 mile run is not going to tax me so I can give it my all if I want to, but I always still think I'll pass out if I run too hard! The other day when I ran the course at school, I started out a bit fast to keep up with the kids but then I faded in the middle. Then I had to step aside in the woods to let the fast boys by me (they'd started later and even though they were doing an easy pace they zoomed by!!), so that slowed me down. I had a little energy left at the end, though, so I could've pushed it more.

After the 5k on 10/27, I have an 8k on 11/10. How do you guys feel about that distance?

elisa822
09-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone for all your kind words...it really means a lot since you all probably know what it feels like to wish you could have done a bit better. And many are you are so far beyond me in the "running world". ;)

I started running at the beginning of this year and all I wanted was to be able to run 5k without stopping and eventually hit under the 30 minute mark so I should be pleased with my successes!

Thanks again!!

cakses
10-01-2007, 12:16 AM
I am braving my now fear of the treadmill and running tomorrow morning. Starting out Oct right. Wish me luck I am gonna need it so I don't fall off!