Exercise! - C25K - September

View Full Version : C25K - September

cakses
09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Woo hoo - a new month! Some challenges in AUgust not only for myself but also for some of you, so let's all motivate and inspire each other to start/continue/finish C25K!

Elegant Departure
09-01-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm starting the C25K on monday (september 3rd) and i'm pretty excited and nervous about it. I have two bad knees, so i may have to be gentle at first, but i'm optimistic all in all.
How far along are you cakses?
I'm guessing it's easiest to do this on a treadmill rather than terrain, but my gym is always so packed at the hours I'm able to workout so i'm going to be training outside. I honestly can't wait to do this. Do you guys recommend evenings or mornings? I realise everyones different, but i'm curious what works best for the majority. I look forward to checking out these posts!

onthetee
09-01-2007, 05:07 PM
I am going tonight to do 20. If I can make it farther, great, if not, I am not out to prove anything. Last two outings have been ick. I plan to listen to the 28 minute podcast and hope for the best.

cakses
09-02-2007, 12:10 AM
I had a small injury so I should have graduated from week 9 on Friday, but I took some time off and I am sort of on week 6 although I am going to just do what my leg will let me.

Did somewhere between 3.5-4 miles today but I need to go out with the car to measure it. Felt good but SLOW!!!! My in laws are in town so my last two runs have been outdoors, and there is quite a difference!

teacher1
09-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Cakses- I'm glad you're feeling better.

Renee- How's your ankle?

I fell off the wagon last week but it's a new month and I'm ready to start W1D1 tomorrow.

almostheaven
09-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Did somewhere between 3.5-4 miles today but I need to go out with the car to measure it.
Or...http://www.mapmyrun.com/create ;)

cakses
09-02-2007, 03:12 PM
thanks! playing with that now!

cakses
09-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Wow I have been ripping myself off on miles. Now I know my regular outside route is 2.51 miles and not 2 haha. I knew I wasn't running that slow! I mostly use my treadmill but I have family in town so I have been able to get out a bit more.

Today was a nice almost 3 1/2 mile walk, no running since I did 4 days in a row this week. My poor legs need a break!

Monday will be Week 6 I guess. I did just about 1.75 miles straight yesterday, so I am not sure where the heck to go from there. I do C25K by time and I didn't bring a stopwatch on that run because I thought I was just going to walk and then got inspired. I am guessing it was 20 minutes so that would finish week 5 up. So I guess I am going with week 6 this week.

HeatherAngel
09-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey Cakses - I walked a little over 3 miles today, too - no running 'til tomorrow! It was a nice break ;)

Good luck going into week six! :)

Heather :D

LeedaRenee
09-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for thinking of me teacher! It's doing much better. I'm sorry you fell of the wagon, but I know you will do great when you start back!

I took a walk today and it didn't really pain me. Through a stroke of luck, I can get my running shoes so I may try to do a few intervals just to see how far I've regressed and also to see if my ankle is still ok. I plan to wear an ankle brace for awhile just to be safe.

Also my best friend is starting C25k, so I may try to do some runs with her if I can. Right now I'm just going to ease back into things slowly.

almostheaven
09-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I love mapmyrun. I can plan out routes and see different areas of my fairly new neighborhood. Some days though I just get out and go. I have an odometer on the stroller so I know how many miles I go anyway. And you might have an interesting route. Like when I struggled up this nearly straight up hill (I kid you not. I DO live in the mountains of WV. LOL). I got to the top of the hill, proud that I'd made it, some guy in his bathrobe checking his mail nearly leaped out of his skin wondering what the heck is somebody WALKING up this hill on this....drum roll please...DEAD END street for. Ah well, I know not to go up THAT hill again. LOL

I usually get out at least 5 days a week. Got in 6 this week - Monday through Saturday, and going back out again starting tomorrow. Took a day off today. I will run the first 2.5 miles, then walk 2.5 back home, and back up the hill again. It's much easier running DOWN that hill than it is walking back up it. Aye aye aye.

teacher1
09-03-2007, 12:07 PM
I just completed W2D1. My poor legs feel like Jello.

alinnell
09-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I use may my run, it does help to determine how long my route is.

I still have not decided whether to attempt D3W5, maintain at D2W5, or skip ahead to D1W6......I guess tomorrow morning when I start the iPod the fingers will make the decision for me!!!

DH and I got up early this morning to clean the backyard patio, furniture and BBQ and it wasn't humid at all. Yesterday it was so humid you couldn't breathe! I hope tomorrow will be a repeat of today. I'll have to really plan my morning because it is the first day of school and I don't want DS to be late. If I'm running late myself, I can show up to work late and no one can fire me (ha, ha, the joys of owning your own business!!).

DD and I are going to go to Fullerton Friday to check out Cal State Fullerton. She really wants to go there. I guess I should map our way there!

Everyone have a great day!

cakses
09-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Well I made the mistake of trying to do day 1 of week 6 - I just can't seem to hack intervals anymore. I am okay running, then once I go to walk I can't for the life of me get going again. So I did 5R/3W/2R/8W/3R/20W haha. The last 3 minute run was a sprint though because I knew it was going to be the last. I held it at a 10 minute run pace which is fast for me and just about fell off the treadmill haha.

I am going to do some easy walking tonight then just try for day 3 of week 6 tomorrow. I don't think I am cut out for intervals so I am just going to have to up my total running time.

alinnell
09-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Well I made the mistake of trying to do day 1 of week 6 - I just can't seem to hack intervals anymore. I am okay running, then once I go to walk I can't for the life of me get going again. So I did 5R/3W/2R/8W/3R/20W haha. The last 3 minute run was a sprint though because I knew it was going to be the last. I held it at a 10 minute run pace which is fast for me and just about fell off the treadmill haha.

I am going to do some easy walking tonight then just try for day 3 of week 6 tomorrow. I don't think I am cut out for intervals so I am just going to have to up my total running time.

Haha! It sounds like what I did on Saturday!!! However, I don't think I'm cut out for anything BUT intervals!

alinnell
09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, I don't know if this was the right decision or not, but this morning, as I headed out I decided to move to D1W6. I made it--well, all but the last minute of the last interval.

but I have made a decision which I think will be right for me--I am going to alternate between Days 1 and 2 of Weeks 5 and 6 until the weather cools off and I feel that I can really tackle D3W5. Right now it is such a push to complete 8 minutes (but the two intervals of 8 are quite "doable" for me). I don't know how I'll fare on two intervals of 10 minutes since eight seems to be stretching it for me. I may even stick with doing D2W5 for another 2 or 3 weeks (or more) until I feel ready to move on. I sure like 2 intervals better than 3 intervals, though. Maybe it means that I'm closer than I realize to a complete run.

practiceliving
09-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Well after doing a sort of "week 0.5" last week, I'm really going to try to do Week 1 this week.

As I was home over the weekend, my mum and I were talking about how my (long-time smoker) friend is having an easier time with Ct5K than I am. She thinks it's because I have to move 50lbs more than my friend does with every step. Makes sense, and is one more infuriating thing about being overweight. Grrr.

Wish me luck!

onthetee
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I have not been able to duplicate my 29 minute run from a few weeks ago. Somewhere around 20, I poop out. I have been using my home treadmill, which is a step down from the one at the gym.

It was a really weird run today, though. I got in 25 minutes, spread out. However, when I was running at 5.4, I just felt out of step. I popped up to 6.0, and things felt better, but clearly I could not maintain that pace.

At least when I took two minutes to walk, I made myself go on the incline....talk about incentive to keep running!

teacher1
09-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Good morning everyone-
I'm taking today off to take my sister to the dentist. I just finished W2D2 and boy my legs hurt. I might need to redo week 2 but I'll wait and see how it goes on Friday.
Have a great day :)

JBak590
09-05-2007, 06:45 PM
OK Ladies. I'm am going to try this out. I really want this and I think I can probably lose alot of weight doing it. So I hope I get some support lol. I will need it.

alinnell
09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
OK Ladies. I'm am going to try this out. I really want this and I think I can probably lose alot of weight doing it. So I hope I get some support lol. I will need it.

Excellent choice!!!! Are you doing it outside or on a treadmill? Are you going to time yourself or download the podcasts? We have a little of everything here! Personally I'm an outsider using the podcasts and am currently attempting to get past week 5--it's tough!!!

teacher1
09-05-2007, 07:02 PM
JBAK590- Welcome! I'm only on Week 2 but it helps to check in here. I use the podcasts like Allison but I'm a treadmill gal. Good luck :)

JBak590
09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
lol OK so I need some help what is a podcast? Is there a website I can go to and find all this stuff out. I have been reading it up on here. I really want to be able to run 5 miles. I have started out with walking though. Is this alright?

teacher1
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
JBak590-
I downloaded the Robert Ullrey podcast from the itune store for free :) Walking is part of the C25K program but have you pulled the program from the Cool Running website?

Question to the Pros of C25K-
Did anyone have to repeat weeks? If so, what weeks?

cakses
09-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Well I have taken 2 days off after a junky run on Monday. Going to give it another try tomorrow but I am in some pain still. This stinks so bad!

I am taking my kids to the pool tomorrow and am hoping to get in a good water jog there if I poop out on the treadmill. At least that will be something, right? LOL!

jaxjob
09-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Allison and onthetee - don't get "stuck" worrying about continuous running. The club I used to belong to (previous address) rarely did runs where they were running 100% of the time, they usually did 10/1 (minute) run/walk intervals. Different runners have different opinions, some don't like this, others swear it makes their race times better.

So if you never get "past" 20 mins, or whatever feels right, don't sweat it. Or do sweat, ;) but take those breaks! And enjoy your running. You are a runner, :running: whether you walk some of the time or not.

Jax

JBak590
09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
OK so..I am on W1D5 ..Im suppose to walk 30 minutes with no running yet. Is that right?

Diva
09-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Oops I'm thinking I posted in the wrong thread. I posted this in the cool runners thread, but maybe this is actually the thread for the starters huh?

I never knew what "Cool Running" was until I googled Couch to 5 k yesterday! LOL! After reading some threads about running and what it has done for people I have decided to get on the program. I printed it out last night and I am starting on Monday (9/10/07)! Don't wanna start today because I wanna do the M-W-F like it say's on the thingy, guess I am OCD that way!

Anywho will continue my daily 2 mile walk until then. :)

alinnell
09-06-2007, 01:35 PM
JBak590-
I downloaded the Robert Ullrey podcast from the itune store for free :) Walking is part of the C25K program but have you pulled the program from the Cool Running website?

Question to the Pros of C25K-
Did anyone have to repeat weeks? If so, what weeks?

Yes, those are the podcasts that we're using. They follow the same progression as the C25K program from cool running. Cool running itself doesn't have podcasts. but you got the right ones (probably the only ones!).

I did my run this morning in a much cooler climate! I think it was about 12 degrees cooler than usual. It's much nicer running in 77 degree temps rather than 89! AND there was another runner out!!! She had the sense to bring a flashlight! I just have my dog. Which reminds me, I really ought to find some sort of vest for me and the dog with reflector tape on it--just to be safe. Anyway, I attempted D2W5 today and didn't quite get it all in. It is supposed to be 8r5w8r with the warmup and cool down. Instead I did 6r3w2r1w10r or something close to that. One day, I'll get there. If only the first part weren't all uphill!

Diva~welcome!!! I do Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday so I only have to get up early one day!!! I don't work on Saturdays.

cakses
09-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Well, I am way off "program" but still giving it a shot! I ran 1 mile today instead of doing a certain amount of time. At the 1 mile mark I was tired and leaning on my right leg too much so I decided to walk for a few minutes. When I tried to run again, I got in 2 minutes and just didn't feel right so I finished with over a mile of colldown walking. Got in 2.63 miles total. So better than the nothing I did on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I think the plan is to just add maybe a .10-.20 mile each day I run until I get up to the 3.25 miles of C25K then call myself a "graduate".

JBak590
09-06-2007, 02:20 PM
So about how long did it take yall ladies to get to running a mile without having to stop?

cakses
09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
So about how long did it take yall ladies to get to running a mile without having to stop?

The end of week 5 in the training. The rest of the intervals were too short for me to get in a mile, so it took until that first 20 minute stretch before I did a mile and I did over a mile, probably about 1.25 miles that time and was shocked that I actually DID it!

onthetee
09-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Things here are way off kilter. I am having to use my home treadmill, which is only "OK". My little won't go to the gym daycare. It is too humid to run outside.

The problem is that when I am at home, I let the kids watch TV, which is a rare treat for them. I feel awful about it. So I skip stretching, cheat on my cool down, etc.

I am just slogging along when I am running. I feel like I have gained 20 pounds--10 per ankle. My new resolution is this: I am going to run 30 minutes, even if it takes me 90 minutes of walking in between running sets. This is ridiculous. I ran 29:04 minutes two weeks ago.

We are in for a cool down soon, so maybe I can get back on the road during the week and back to the gym on the weekends. The other option is to get up early to go to the gym, but that seems impossible somehow.

MariaMaria
09-06-2007, 06:50 PM

Two months? Two and a half?

It's not a race. You'll get there when you get there.

alinnell
09-06-2007, 07:17 PM

According to the cool running site, a 10 minute run should be equal to 1 mile. But I guess that depends on how fast you run!! I'm pretty much a slug at times because my first leg is all uphill! I have yet to go farther than 8 minutes (3/4 mile) when on the uphill portion. Because I try to go farther than 8 minutes on the way back home (I estimate anywhere from 9-13 minutes), then I guess I've run a mile now. It sure seems impossible!!! So, if you keep with it, you should be able to run a mile by the 5th or 6th week, but I agree, you'll get there when you get there! Good luck!

jaxjob
09-07-2007, 08:08 AM
When I started running, I could probably run a mile - but then I was pooped - totally pooped. So I'd be done after about 13 mins total exercise (minus warm up and cool down). Running with walking intervals helped make that total longer, even though I cut down on total running minutes by doing it. That's why it's recommended to start slowly.

Since I now run outside (my treadmill is broken) I am not sure how far I run at a time. All those "plan your route" sites don't cover rural country paths and roads! So I just enjoy it and don't stress over time or distance. Of course I know how long I'm running for, but for me, that info on the treadmill was just WAY too much to obsess over. :dizzy:

Jax

teacher1
09-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Good morning everyone-
I never really got comfortable with week 2 so I've decided to repeat week 2 next week. I decided that I do want to complete the program but I'm going to repeat weeks if needed.

HeatherAngel
09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Teacher, that's exactly what I did - I repeated weeks and / or days and moved on when I felt ready. It's very smart to tweak the program to work for you! :yes:

Good luck! This time next week, you'll be desperate to move on! ;)

alinnell
09-07-2007, 11:10 AM
teacher~when I started, I repeated at least one day of W1 thinking that there was NO WAY I'd be able to progress from a 60 second interval to 90 seconds. When I moved to W2, I realized how easy it really was (mainly due to the walking intervals). Then the move from that to W3, W4 and W5 was a simple progression where I never felt any difficulty. Moving through W5 is still a problem for me (but I'll make it one day!).

Diva
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Teacher, that's exactly what I did - I repeated weeks and / or days and moved on when I felt ready. It's very smart to tweak the program to work for you! :yes:

Good luck! This time next week, you'll be desperate to move on! ;)

Great job everyone!

I'm thinking that I'll prolly have to do it that way too. Everyone is different and we all have differnt levels of fitness. I have NEVER ran in my life. When I was a kid I had very bad asthma and never got to participate in PE and stuff like that. It's gotten better as I've gotten older, so i'm gonna give it a go starting Monday!

I do have a question. Do you take any day's off? I figure I will do the C25K M-W-F and Tues & Thurs just walk 2 miles. Should I be doing anything on Sat & Sunday's?

jaxjob
09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Diva - that's up to you, how you feel and what you want to do. I just started meetings on Thursday mornings (which conflict with exercise) so plan to run :running: F-Su-Tu and do my Ripped! DVDs :lifter: Sa-M-W. I walk with the dogs most days but it's often not particularly hard exercise. At the beginning, your body may want some days off, or you may find a gentle stroll is good. See how it goes - same as with repeating weeks or not. Many running programs have an "easy" week after approx 4 of increases, C25K doesn't. Moving back for a week or repeating can have a similar effect.

Great run for me this morning - I expected it to be awful as I didn't sleep well (thanks to puppy), am starting a head cold (it appears) and tried a different (longer) hill out of town. But it felt awesome. I did my usual 30 mins all out (direction, not intensity :D) then walked back by a slightly shorter route. Now I feel much better than I did before. Thanks to running!!! :running:

Jax

cakses
09-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Day off, did one hour of water aerobics (ouch!!!) and then swam 500 yds. So out of shape in the water it's not even funny. I have heard though if you swim on off days, running gets easier, so I am all for trying!

jaxjob
09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Cat - I hear you! I went swimming with the kids and during that time did some laps. I used to swim lots but boy am I out of swimming shape. I plan to go once a week (it's 40 km to the pool so I only can go if I'm in town for something else) and am thinking of doing a triathlon one day. Perhaps by myself, or maybe getting DH to bike for me (not my favourite activity).

No running today - weights day.

Jax

alinnell
09-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Run day today. I set off with the intention of doing D2W5 (again) but failed (again) although I did pretty good.....w5r6w3r11w5. I like that I managed an 11 minute run in there! Granted it was mostly downhill, but I did it. Slow and steady, but I did it! Also, according to Map My Run, that 11 minute run was about 1.3 miles.

cakses
09-08-2007, 11:53 AM
That's a fast mile!

I am off to have some breakfast then attempt a run. Not in the mood at all though, so we'll see. Maybe food will wake me up!

MariaMaria
09-08-2007, 01:04 PM
How hard are you running for your run sections, Allison? You should be aiming for a conversational pace-- slow enough and easy enough that you can speak in full sentences.

alinnell
09-08-2007, 02:06 PM
How hard are you running for your run sections, Allison? You should be aiming for a conversational pace-- slow enough and easy enough that you can speak in full sentences.

Well, I talk to my dog sometimes--things like "don't pull" and "get out of my way or I'll step on you." And I say "hi" or "good morning" to anyone I pass by. I don't know if I could carry on a long conversation, but I'm not that breathless at all. And I don't feel like I'm running fast at all--in fact it is more of a slow jog because I know if I speed up, I'll not be able to continue (no stamina).

cakses
09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Did 1.2 miles staight running for a total of 2.33 miles. Will walk again tonight and try to get some water exercise in tomorrow, then run again on Monday. Hoping to get up to 1 1/2 miles on Monday and start adding more in each time I run until I get to the end of C25K!

LeedaRenee
09-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I've started back running, trying to work my way back up to week 7. Yesterday I did 14 minutes, next time I plan to do 20 and then 25. I'm mostly trying to make sure my foot/ankle are in good condition. I wrap them for each run. Hopefully I can still do the 5k that I signed up for at the end of October.

MariaMaria
09-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Even for someone who's not coming off an injury, that's awfully quick for a beginner to be increasing mileage.

If it were me I'd hang out at whatever's comfortable right now for a week or so (not increasing time/distance past what works well right now), then bump up to an additional 3-5 minutes per run, again whatever's comfortable, and hold there for a week or so as well. Rinse, repeat.

C25K is very fast-paced, faster than a lot of new runners can handle. Lots of folks get injured and become former runners trying to keep up with it. You've had years to reach your current level of fitness or lack of fitness. Another few weeks (or even another few months) to reach a fitness goal isn't a big deal in the bigger picture.

cakses
09-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Leeda be careful or else you'll re-hurt yourself. Been there, done that so now I am off of C25K and sort of just adding in small amounts of mileage each time I run to play it safe. Formula is working thus far. I did 15 mins yesterday which ended up being 1.2 miles - slow yes but I'm being careful. Tomorrow I am only upping it to about 1.4-1.5 miles. As much as I'd love to just bump up to 2+ right away, it will screw me up in the end.

Today was a walk day and I am taking the kids to the park in a little bit and maybe the pool later if they are driving me crazy!

MariaMaria
09-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Cakses, even safer would be not to increase distance/time every time you run.

jaxjob
09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
No running for me today. :( I woke up with a head cold a couple of days ago and couldn't breathe well this morning. Taking drugs knocks me out, so no running. Ah well. I did take the dogs for a walk though...

Jax

seranab
09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Bleurgh - I've just 'finished' week one but i've decided to re-do it. What I like about C25K is I get to tweak it as much as I want. I'm having a lickle problem though you know... the problem is that after I run I do a cool down walk and maybe have a stretch and the next day my muscles are feeling fine - but then the next time I run I feel a tightness in my calfs... any idea what I should do? it kinda sucks because it means i'm tired quicker than usual.

HeatherAngel
09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Serena - I found this happened to me, too... it still does if I don't follow my own advice: STRETCH! Honestly, I could not get my head around the idea that I had to stretch BEFORE I ran... I mean, a five-minute, brisk walk should be enough, and walking after, and stretching after, right? Well, when I do that, my calves and shins are sore the next time I run. Of course, I have no idea if it is just me, but if I give myself a goos solid four or five minutes stretching BEFORE the warm-up walk (and nowadays ten minutes stretching AFTER!) I have a lot less trouble. Worth a try?

Good luck! Heather :D

EDIT: Actually - even today, I found I had to go the first mile before my legs 'caught up' with my brain!!

LeedaRenee
09-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Ok, I'm taking ya'lls advice and keeping it at 14-15 minutes for the rest of the week, and I'll keep the same time for at least a week every time I increase it. Once I get back up to 25 minutes, I will start week 7.

practiceliving
09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
So I slacked off last week. I was away on the long weekend, then it was just excuse after excuse. Whoops. :rollpin:

I went out this morning determined to just do more than I do two weeks ago (6/8 intervals of the week 1 runs). Y'all - I did them all! :carrot: I was so freaking excited when I got home. I think I definitely pushed myself a little farther than I ought to, because I needed a hit from my puffer when I got home, but I did it! Yippeee!!

cakses
09-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Woo hoo everyone! Ya'll seem to be getting back on track!

I did 1.5 miles exactly of running today at a 12:30 pace. I am not sure if I am going to up it or not again. It felt good but not amazing. I am off to shower now.

I am down another pound too! And today marks the 1 year mark (as in one yeat TO GO) on my DH's deployment. Now I can start counting it down. Was having a hard time wrapping my mind around 15 months lol. So I've got 365 days (give or take) to lose this weight!

LeedaRenee
09-10-2007, 06:51 PM
cakses, congrats on the pound!

I didn't know your DH was overseas. Does he know you're trying to lose weight or is it going to be a big surprise when he comes back? I know that he will be happy to see you again no matter what!

LeedaRenee
09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
marianne, congrats on getting back into it!

seranab
09-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey Heather,

Thanks for the advice, I should be trying to put it into practise tomorrow. I'll just make sure I do loads of different stretches, I found them quite tight today (I ran on Sunday) and I'm planning on running tomorrow so I'm ready for a very hard run... a very hard and painful run.

you know itwas quite strange because the first day I could only manage 3 minutes running, on the second day I did 10 minutes running but my lungs were raw and I was sooooo exhausted. On the third day I did 9 minutes (obviously not in one go) but I know it sounds wierd but I didn't feel that burn I did the other two days in my lungs... I know its probably "too soon" to feel a difference but I really do. I'm still in pain and out of breath, but my lungs just weren't hurting as much as they did the first two times. Lol Maybe I'm just crazy, but anyways. Hope you're having a great start to the week.

cakses
09-11-2007, 12:59 AM
cakses, congrats on the pound!

I didn't know your DH was overseas. Does he know you're trying to lose weight or is it going to be a big surprise when he comes back? I know that he will be happy to see you again no matter what!

Oh he knows. I had been half-asking it before he left and once school was about to start for my son I had to ask him if it was cool if I bought the treadmill and he made me promise I would use it a lot and lose weight or else it was $2k down the drain. So I do my best to get on there every day now.

Last time he was gone I went from 220 to 180, which was a size 20 to a size 14. This time my goal is 150 pounds and a size 10 or whatever that will make me around that weight. I'm determined but with him gone, I definately have my stressful days which makes eating right very hard! I have very little issue getting it together to work out, but the eating right thing kills me!

I am a little sore from my run today so I am just going to do a slow 2 miles tomorrow morning (walking) and take it easy. Off to stretch and drink some water and watch a movie alone haha.

jaxjob
09-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

It looks like we're coming along again. Yippeee. I did my run and weights yesterday - not a great idea it seems. I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. :yawn: Having missed both on the weekend I felt ready to go, but today will be a walk-with-the-dogs kind of day, I think. Still feeling the effects of this cold.

Cat - good job for you for getting into shape while DH is away. You still have a year - and you're doing great. I know everyone is different, but I'm wearing size 10 jeans (as of Saturday - woo hoo) and I'm at 170lbs right now. You may surprise yourself!

Marianne, I hope you're feeling good after getting out again. Is it still hot in BC?

Serena - it's amazing (at least to me) how quickly running gets easier at first. I don't think I'll ever find it "effortless" but it's definitely way easier than at the beginning. I hope the stretching helps.

LeedaRenee, I hope you're feeling good with your 15 mins. Taking your time will really help.

Snuggles to all,
Jax

LeedaRenee
09-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah cat, I was fitting into size 10 jeans when I was 165-170 and you're an inch taller than me, so you never know :)

Jax, hope you shake off the last of the cold. Sounds like you're not letting it get you down too much though :)

practiceliving
09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Wow, sounds like lots of progress or change for people lately!

Cakses - glad you're using your investment! I bet your hubby will be surprised, even though he knows... I know it's sometimes harder for my boyfriend to see when I've lost weight, because it's so gradual to him, seeing a little bit off every week.

Jax - SO hot this week. Hotter than it was all summer, even. But it's that nice fall heat - cool at night and in the morning, HOT in the day. I'm feeling much better today, although my hip flexors feel a little tight. Anyone have any suggested stretches?

alinnell
09-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Good morning! I managed D2W5 with no problem this morning! However, I got a pretty severe side stitch. It was weird--it started low (like ovary level) and slowly moved up until it was right under my right side rib cage. Thankfully at that point I could stop and walk it off. Within 1 minute it was virtually gone.

Anyone have suggestions on how to not get side stitches?

cakses
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I know I read somewhere that if you concentrate on breathing out when your left foot hits the ground, they go away? I think maybe Heather had this problem when she first started?

seranab
09-12-2007, 07:03 AM
I get side stitches too - they feel like they're knawing beneath my ribcage. My DH always tells me to make sure that I'm breathing in through my nostrils and out through my mouth... lol... but I always complain that my nostrils are too small and dont get as much oxygen I need to my body. :D ;)

teacher1
09-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Good morning everyone!
I'll finish redoing week 2 on Friday. I think then I'll be ready for week 3 on Monday :) Have a great day!

jaxjob
09-12-2007, 08:15 AM
I know I read somewhere that if you concentrate on breathing out when your left foot hits the ground, they go away? I think maybe Heather had this problem when she first started?

Not to do with stitches - but when I was running with a club last year, they said to switch feet if you were counting strides etc. Apparantly you'll tend to run heavier on the foot you're counting on. So if you do this breathing technique, maybe switch feet every so often?

Run day today - it's supposed to be cooler and showery. I'm going this morning because the dogs have a vet appointment this afternoon.

Jax

onthetee
09-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Not to do with stitches - but when I was running with a club last year, they said to switch feet if you were counting strides etc. Apparantly you'll tend to run heavier on the foot you're counting on. So if you do this breathing technique, maybe switch feet every so often?

Run day today - it's supposed to be cooler and showery. I'm going this morning because the dogs have a vet appointment this afternoon.

Jax

From the side stitch queen, I give you this:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/227.shtml

HeatherAngel
09-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Follow the link from onthetee - I did, absolutely, struggle with this until I learned to breathe. ;) I do breath rhythmically, in through the nostrils, out through the mouth. I vary both the timing AND the footfalls - so, for example, I'll breathe in for a count of two as my left foot hits the ground, out on a count of two as my left foot hits the ground... THEN, after maybe ten, twelve of these, I'll switch over to the same rhythm, with the right foot. THEN (and this one helps me a LOT) I will breathe in on a count of three (on whatever foot - I'm goign to switch later! ;)) and out on a count of two, so I ahve automatically varied which foot I am breathing in on.

It sounds more complicated than it is :lol: On the other hand - just because that works for me doesn't make it a science - I was always terrible at science!

Good luck! You're all doing MARVELOUSLY!! :cheer:

onthetee
09-12-2007, 10:22 AM
The other bonus for paying such close attention to your breathing is that you are thinking about that and not how much time you have left. You will be amazed how much more quickly time moves.

jaxjob
09-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

Well the rain didn't hold off for my run - neither did the north wind. I got cold - guess I need more clothes next time. In previous years if it was gross outside I ran on the treadmill, but since it's broken that's not an option. I'm used to snow, but I need to get used to cold and rainy too. Still it's better than 38C. At least for me. It's been so dry this summer that the issue hasn't arisen. Rain is good for the ground though.

I also need to find some new trails for fall. The clay on many of the farm tracks here gets really sticky when wet - my shoes were very heavy before I was halfway into my warmup. So I changed my route and just ran around the hamlet - not so interesting though. It was a good run, nonetheless.

onthetee - I've had a totally different response when I concentrate on my breathing - I tend to count breaths or steps, and then everything seems to get SOOOOOO tedious. I do better when I don't think about it. I used to count steps to estimate my intervals - I seem to run about 85 strides per minute no matter how fast I run, and so I was counting them before I got a stopwatch.

Keep up the great running folks! teacher1, glad to hear you're feeling ready for W3. Allison, great job with W5.

Jax

seranab
09-12-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm very upset today!!
I bought an MP3 player from new york a couple of years ago (2005), and brought it back here and I used to use it a lot. It was one of those types where you buy a flashdisk for it and put it in -download the music/lectures then you're done. I lost the flashdisk back in 2005, and recently (january) bought a camera that came with a flashdisk. So I started to use it in my mp3 player just to use the podcasts and it did something to that stupif flashdisk... So I'm VERY ANGRY because I haven't been able to go for a run! GRRRR... Eventually I'll have to go but still... its annoying. Now I don't have a flashdisk for my camera either and will have to buy one.

Okay thanks for letting me vent...
I hope you all have a good week.

HeatherAngel
09-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Awww Serena - stupid technology! It's supposed to make life LESS complicated... but it rarely does! Good luck!

onthetee
09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
After all the whining and crying about not running well, I had a great run today. I did 1.3 like it was nothing, but I did not time myself or push too hard. I walked .3, then finished with another .7. Would have done more, but I had no idea how far I had gone, and I did not want to push it.

It appears that my treadmill is the problem. I was on the road today and loved it!

jaxjob
09-13-2007, 07:56 AM
onthetee - I have a similar problem with the treadmill. Just being able to see my "progress" in distance makes me impatient. I have to cover the display! Outside I don't know how far I've run and I watch the scenery.

Glad you had a good run! :running:

Jax

alinnell
09-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I did a good run today. Kind of a cross between D2 on W5 and W6--run 8, walk 2, run 10. Not too shabby.

alinnell
09-15-2007, 11:19 AM
I did it!!!! I completed D3W5 (the 20 minute run) without stopping!!!! I never thought I'd see the day. And it took me, what?, 3 weeks or more to work up to it. But I did it!!!!

And to think that as I left the house this morning I had thoughts of turning back. I got to bed late (high school football game that ended very late), I was tired, I have gained 4 pounds in 2 days (what on earth is going on there?) and I got a late start so I knew the sun would be in my eyes (can't run with sunglasses on). I don't know what happened, but 5 minutes were a breeze, when the end of the 8 minutes came, I just kept plodding on, when I hit 10 minutes I turned back toward home and from there it's all down hill (I ought to take photos of my route so you can see my definition of "uphill" and "downhill"--it really isn't as extreme as it sounds). I didn't get any side stitches. It was cool enough that sweat wasn't rolling off my face forcing me to constantly wipe it away. I'm so excited!

LeedaRenee
09-15-2007, 11:43 AM
I knew you could do it Allison!!

MariaMaria
09-15-2007, 12:10 PM
can't run with sunglasses on

Try a cap. They make them in light weights and wicking fibers.

teacher1
09-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Allison- Congrats!

I just finished redoing week 2. :) I'll start week 3 on Monday. I'm sure I'll have to redo that week too. I just trying to take my time with my asthma.

alinnell
09-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Try a cap. They make them in light weights and wicking fibers.

I have a couple caps--I just didn't bother with it today. I want a new one so I'm going shopping today. I also need to find reflective arm bands for when I run early in the morning. I finally got a lighted collar and leash for my dog!

Diva
09-15-2007, 02:37 PM
You're all doing so well, I am enivous. I guess I'll start this in October. After my incident with the truck I have been working out in doors doing WATP's and stuff. The only jogging going on with me is jogging in place when Leslie(WATP) is marching....Something's better than nothing. :) That's more jogging Igave done in 28 yrs! LOL!

onthetee
09-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I did it!!!! I completed D3W5 (the 20 minute run) without stopping!!!! I never thought I'd see the day. And it took me, what?, 3 weeks or more to work up to it. But I did it!!!!

And to think that as I left the house this morning I had thoughts of turning back. I got to bed late (high school football game that ended very late), I was tired, I have gained 4 pounds in 2 days (what on earth is going on there?) and I got a late start so I knew the sun would be in my eyes (can't run with sunglasses on). I don't know what happened, but 5 minutes were a breeze, when the end of the 8 minutes came, I just kept plodding on, when I hit 10 minutes I turned back toward home and from there it's all down hill (I ought to take photos of my route so you can see my definition of "uphill" and "downhill"--it really isn't as extreme as it sounds). I didn't get any side stitches. It was cool enough that sweat wasn't rolling off my face forcing me to constantly wipe it away. I'm so excited!

The 20 minutes in a row was my toughest. Great job!!

MariaMaria
09-15-2007, 03:17 PM
FWIW, when it's me I want to be reflecting on a bigger part of my body--torso rather than arms, which aren't terribly visible from behind. I figure that if I feel the need to be more visible to cars, I should be a LOT more visible.

Amphipod and Nathan are two of the major brands in reflective vests.

onthetee
09-15-2007, 09:44 PM
I have a reflective vest that I really like. DH got it for me when I was pregnant six years ago, and I know that I am very visible.

cakses
09-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Woo hoo Allison, congrats on the 20!

I'm jus tnot coming back after this injury. Going to hit the gym to do some weights this week to see if that will help. Now that I have the treadmill I never want to make the drive to the gym (30 mins away).

alinnell
09-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Well, I found some nice reflective arm bands yesterday, so I feel a little better. That and the dog leash/collar that light up ought to make us quite visible. DH and I did our weekly walk with the dogs and it was such a beautiful morning. Fall is very close! I think I might be getting close to convincing DH that he really needs to get into shape--all my talk about running might, just might, sway him the right way.

alinnell
09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Today, since I had already done D1W6 a few days back (because I was "mixing it up with weeks 5 and 6), I decided to do D2W6. In the end, I kind of made my own run--it was supposed to be r10w3r10 and instead I ran 10, walked 30 seconds and then ran 11.5. I may do the same thing Thursday and move onto the 25 minute run on Saturday (when it is lighter and I'll feel safer taking a new route). Which reminds me--I need to go map that new route.

NinjaSalad
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
I just recently discovered the C25K and started it yesterday. It was tough but I made it!! You guys are all a great inspiration!

cakses
09-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Welcome Ninja!

I walked today - a nice long 3.26 miles. Tomorrow I am going to try to do 1.5 miles which is 18 or so minutes for me. I sort of go between distance and time when I am on the treadmill and try to push it a little bit farther if I can as long as my legs are feeling up to it.

Back down to 210 after a crappy week (TOM) of eating. Hoping to burn off another 2 pounds this week though if I can manage it!

alinnell
09-20-2007, 07:27 PM
I did a close approximation to D3W6 this morning. Ran 10 1/2, walked 30-45 seconds and then ran 13 minutes. It would have been better but I got a darned side stitch again. I think it was this bird the scared the heck out of me! You know I run in the dark? Well, I do carry a flashlight (for safety more than anything). Well the sky was just starting to lighten and I saw something move up ahead....in the bushes.....and then it came out into the street! Yikes! Could it be a person? Nope. A big old bird. Anyway, it scared me (I hate the dark) and right after that I got the side stitch. Oh, well.

Oh, and Saturday, after I run, I'm getting my hair cut and then I'm going to go and get fit for new running shoes!

cakses
09-21-2007, 01:36 AM
took thursday off. friday is run day but i am sore so we'll see how far i get.

HeatherAngel
09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Ran 2 miles today and forced myself to leave it at that... I'll build up again slowly over the next couple of weeks. Knee support seems to have given me some relief, so this is good :yes:

cakses
09-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Woo hoo Heather!

I, on the other hand, am taking the day off running. I did an hour of water aerobics and 20 mins of laps and I am pooped! I'll do my run tomorrow when I am not exhausted!!!

NinjaSalad
09-22-2007, 09:26 AM
I finished W1 yesterday! It wasn't too bad, my shins are a little sore though.

HeatherAngel
09-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Ninja - make sure you take the time to stretch well, especially AFTER you get back from running... this made all the difference to my shins in the first few weeks!

alinnell
09-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I attempted D3W6 today--mapped our a new route that would allow for the extra distance, but I didn't make it. I ended up walking not one, but three 30 second intervals. Well, that isn't terrible, but I was hoping to do it without stopping like I did last weekend.

On a plus note, I stopped by the only running store in town and got fitted for some proper running shoes. I tried on several pair and ended up with a pair of Asics GT-2120 and also got a nice reflective belt to wear. Then I stopped at Sports Authority and picked up a couple new running bras, a long sleeved shirt for running and some capri running pants. Gotta get ready for the cold weather ahead!

alinnell
09-25-2007, 02:07 PM
After attempting (and rather failing) D1W7, I think I'm going to drop out of the C25k at this time. I'm not giving up running! Don't get me wrong!!! I am going to continue with my 2 mile runs and perhaps increase the number of runs per week rather than attempting to increase the time/distance aspect. I like my route--I know just where to start and stop and it leaves just enough warm up and cool down.

onthetee
09-25-2007, 02:43 PM
I am with you on ditching C25K. Yesterday I ran for 32 minutes, but not in a row. It was 11 here, 8 there, 5 later. I was all over the map with the walking/running intervals. As long as I run 30 minutes total, I am not going to get all amped up about doing it all in a row.

alinnell
09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
I am with you on ditching C25K. Yesterday I ran for 32 minutes, but not in a row. It was 11 here, 8 there, 5 later. I was all over the map with the walking/running intervals. As long as I run 30 minutes total, I am not going to get all amped up about doing it all in a row.

The way I look at it--at least we're doing it! So what if we can't do it all in a row? I still get excited to go run (and that is a definite plus!). My dog looks forward to it, too (he KNOWS when it is run day and doesn't snuggle up when the alarm goes off--how funny is that?).

onthetee
09-25-2007, 05:06 PM
The way I look at it--at least we're doing it! So what if we can't do it all in a row? I still get excited to go run (and that is a definite plus!). My dog looks forward to it, too (he KNOWS when it is run day and doesn't snuggle up when the alarm goes off--how funny is that?).

If I could train my nursling to do that, that would be wonderful! :D