Old 08-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #1  

Default Wasted time, and feeling overwelmed...

I know I'm probably not the only one who feels this way sometimes... But I really feel like I've totally wasted away my whole almost 21 years of life because of being fat. I haven't done alot of things I would have love to do, because of being fat. I feel like I lost out on alot of things.

Losing as much weight as I need to lose seems very overwelming and nearly impossible.. Losing 2 pounds a week consistantly, would still take me well over a year. Thats a loooonnnggg time when you want something so badly.

And to think.. If I would have started doing good a year ago, I would have been almost done by now.

Just a little rant, since I'm feeling a bit hopeless right now.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

I don't know what to say other then I feel the EXACT same weigh right now. Here I am...19...going to be 20 in January.

*sighs*
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #3  

Lalique -- If we go by your principle, I've wasted 36 years of my life being overweight (okay, I was thin for about 5 years of it), but I look on the other end, I don't want to waste another 36 years!! My mom is 64 and has been trying to lose weight her whole life. I just think of it as -- the year will pass whether I lose weight or not -- so how do you want to end it -- losing the weight or waking up one year from now in the same situation??

I feel the same hopelessness, needing to lose 100 lbs -- 2 lbs a week seems so slow, but my other option is to continue gaining at a much faster rate if I don't get control over this -- so in one year I can try to be down 70 or 80 pounds or continue making no effort and being in the 300's.

I feel like my life has just passed me by too -- but I can also look forward to all the things I will be able to do, even after losing like 30 lbs I know it will be interesting to see what new things I can accomplish.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I used to think that way and then I realized - HEY! I'm young! I've got a lot of life ahead of me.

I feel so blessed that I'm figuring this out in my 20's instead of my 30's or 40's or 70's (or whatever.) You'll be all of 22 in a year, do you have any idea how many people around here would love to say they figured this out at 22?? Try to remember that you are really, really young (I'm only 23, so I am too) and that you've not lived the best of your life yet. I love my life, everything about it, and I thrill in the thought that the best is yet to come. It's going to be what I make it.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

You're figuring this out way before most of us did. Give yourself a break; you're off to a great start.

As somebody who's about to turn 43, I can tell you that all the really good stuff comes after you turn 21. All the kid stuff looks important but all the really important moments and fun are still to come.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

I'm knocking on 50's door within a couple years and I can tell you I understand what you are saying. I would love to be able to go back and tell the young Kris what the old Kris knows but really......I have so much life ahead of me STILL, that I just need to keep doing what I've been doing lately. Whether I'm 117kg or 70 kg or somewhere in between, I wouldn't want to give up any of my time on this earth. Sure, it would have been fabulous if I had awoken to being fit and healthy when I was 20, but if I could of, I truly would of. I didn't get to this point by not caring or trying - I got here in spite of all my best efforts and I hate to cut myself down for that.

As Robin said, you are off to a great start! How wonderful you are making changes at your age that you will enjoy for a lifetime. Think of the things you will do in the next 50 years.....it's mind-blowing.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 AM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Coming at this from a different perspective - I'm 33, 34 at the end of the year. I don't think of those years as wasted at all. I'm not the same person that I was at 20 and 21, and I don't want to be that person again. I'm in a much better place in my life now than I was then.

If I could turn back the clock and find a way to start making the changes I'm making at the moment, I'm not sure I would have done it. I would love to have opened my eyes sooner, but in saying that I've known all along I was overweight and I knew the risks that posed to my health. At that age it was all a case of "I'll worry about that tomorrow". Tomorrow's finally caught up with me...

So, no you haven't wasted those years. You're at a place that I wish I could have been at when I was your age. I'm a little envious of that, but I wouldn't trade my 20's and the person I am now, to have lost all that weight then. I wouldn't be the person today that I am now had I done that...
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:59 AM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I think all of us , at one time or another feel this. I guess you can't dwell too much on the past, because it can bring you down, just know you have to work hard to get this off, no matter how long, and it will be worth it in the end.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:07 AM   #9  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Oh, Lalique, so many of us here can relate to what you're saying! I'm 39 (yeah, really, not just "holding"!) and for a long time I thought I had just wasted so much time and was bummed out. But as so many have already stated, the good stuff is yet to come. You haven't even touched the surface of so much of it yet! So listen to yourself and remember, you're aware of the changes that need to be made now. Time will pass whether you make those changes or not, so wouldn't you rather be lighter next year at this time? Labor day weekend '08 will be here before you know it, and you can be many sizes smaller and much happier by the time it arrives. I also needed to lose 100 pounds when I started, and it's been 54 weeks since I began....you think a year seems so long, but in reality it feels like I've been doing this for a couple months, not 12+. Get into a grove and the time will just pass. You can do this, Lalique, we ALL have faith in you! OK, now I'm just rambling....but you get the picture!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 AM   #10  
Peachbody

I am saying this as much to myself as to you...

All you have is this moment. Do not give this moment away to regrets about what was, or anxiety about what will be. This moment, right now, you are on the road. You can make a healthy choice. That's all that's real.

Geri
Dr Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

I can't really add much more than has already been said. One thing I have found though - that whilst it seems to drag day to day meal to meal, when I look back I think wow it's been eight months already; and it's so much better than I can think that knowing I'm doing something about the weight, rather than being the same
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #12  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

I know it is hard. I am going to be 30 in september and I not only wasted my teens but I alos wasted my 20's being afraid. Atleast you are doing something about it now. Dont look at what you have lost.. look at what you have ahead of you. That was my biggest problem every time I would lose weight. I would think about time wasted and things that I will never get back and I would look at the BIG number that I have to lose.

Make little goals. Just take it one goal at a time. Do every ten pounds or every size you go down or inches lost. then it wont seem like as much and before you know it you will be there.

You said that if you had started a year ago you would be where you want to be. But look how fast that year went. And next year will be here and you will be where you want to be and instead of saying "IF" you can say I did it. GOOD LUCK
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

You can't go back and re-do your past, but you can impact your future in big ways! Yes, it can take a while to lose a lot of weight when our body will only release a little fat each week. But, please realize...you don't have to reach goal to start reaping the benefits of weight loss. The benefits of more energy, smaller clothes, increased self confidence can all start now...and just keep getting better the more you lose. Be thankful that you are doing something now. Just think, you could be like me. It took me until the age of 42 to decide that I will lose the fat no matter what it takes. So, I've wasted double your years!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
You're figuring this out way before most of us did. Give yourself a break; you're off to a great start.

As somebody who's about to turn 43, I can tell you that all the really good stuff comes after you turn 21. All the kid stuff looks important but all the really important moments and fun are still to come.
Amen, sister Robin!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Rennie - you said it well! I am 47 and feel the same way. Live in the NOW!
I am loving life more now than I ever have, and that is because I choose to!! You can start today making the choices you want to - and do that EVERY day, just think of where you will be a year from now!!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote