General chatter - Need Advice, Im Going Nutz!




View Full Version : Need Advice, Im Going Nutz!


StillTryin
08-30-2007, 04:49 PM
OK LADIES and GENTS, (Sorry about this being repeated to some)

I need some help. As some of you know, I hate where I work, so I have been sending my resume out. Last week Monday I sent it to a company who is hiring (Im in sales). Tuesday the site manager called and I had a 1st interview on Wednesday late in the day. By last week Friday the secretary called to ask me to come in this week Tuesday for the second interview. There were 18 people that were interviewed and 6 were called back for the second interview (I am the only female). So that was Tuesday late in the day. I asked when they would be making thier choice, since they want whoever they hire to attend a big show with them on Sept 14, I mean pretty tight schedule for leaving 2 weeks notice where I work! They said "within a day or so". So yesterday I emailed the site manager a "thank you for giving me a second interview" email and he replied with a "generic" reply, so I couldnt read anything into that. The regional manager was there for the 2nd interview and he made the comment "you are definately in the running for the position". So I figured I may hear yesterday, well that came and went. Now today is almost over and I am wondering what is happening! I mean if they call tomorrow you pretty much have to put in notice right away to get a full 2 weeks! I really hate waiting, but I am wondering if I should call back, or email and ask if they had made a decision and use the 2 week notice as an excuse? I have been driving myself CRAZY over this for 10 days!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Oh and they are supposedly going to run background checks, at least I signed a paper giving them permission to, so I wonder if they are waiting on that to come back, which I nothing to worry about there, but I wonder how long that takes....I am curious are they waiting for that before offering employment? I mean every other place I worked they ran that after making an offer of employment, pending your background check comes back clear. Any thoughts?


Robin41
08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
You have to remember that your two week notice requirement with your current company doesn't mean anything to them. They're not going to hurry a decision based on something like that. I wouldn't contact them again. You did the right thing with the thank you but any more and you're going to look a little desperate and like you're hounding them. The last thing you want is for somebody to think "she doesn't even work here yet and she's already a pain in the butt."

StillTryin
08-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks Robin, that is exactly what I needed to hear! I am just going crazy! I know I am already a pain in my own BUTT..lol THANKS AGAIN, I APPRECIATE IT!


Robin41
08-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Good luck with it. I have heard that being a pain in the butt is a proven calorie burner so there may be an upside. :)

NotTheCheat
08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
On the flip side, you are applying for a sales position. I had a boss who used to test salespeople by seeing how many times they would call back about the job as a measure of how aggressive they were and therefore whether or not they would be effective sales people.

Personally I would call them tomorrow and say that you really want the job and you are hoping they have a decision because you want to give your employer two week's notice. An employer might be impressed with the fact that you are being honorable towards your past company because they will want the same courtesy when you leave. I have always found that to be the case when I have interviewed people.

StillTryin
08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Nancy, thanks a lot..that is also something I am wondering. I did talk to the secretary today (regardig a completely different topic and the job was never brought up). Maybe if I havnt heard by mid afternoon tomorrow I will call and check in. Especially since we are heading into a holiday weekend.

StillTryin
08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
OK here is the latest, I talked to a girlfriend of mine last night and she mentioned that maybe they called the intended hire'ee and then were going to mail letters to the ones who didnt get offered...well I held the mail at the post office and I didnt get a letter from them today, so I called the secretary this morning because I got a "out of office" reply on email last night from the site manager. I wanted to address any potential concerns he *may* have in hiring a mother/female and that I have an hour drive. I chose words carefully in the email...
I did call the secretary this morning to inquire if there had been a decision made, the only reason I did that is because I got an automated "out of office reply" from the site manager! He is out until THURSDAY!!!! So I waited to see if I got a "thanks but no thanks, we offered it to someone else" letter in the mail and when that didnt come I called. (I am weak!!!)
She said (the secretary) that she was not aware of any decision and that it will be next week Friday (most likely) that I would hear back. GRRR ANOTHER WEEK. But you know, I will be fine knowing it will take that long, that wont bother me. I am still in the running and I *know* the call isnt coming any minute! Thanks for all the support again, you are all wonderful this is from another area of 3FC that I post to.

On a positive note, I am doing good today with my diet!!!

Amy8888
08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Honestly, and I could be TOTALLY wrong and I HOPE I am, but it doesn't sound good. If they thought they could offer you the job within a day and you still haven't heard, that's not a good sign. :( I know because I've been there. I kept getting my hopes up for this one job and I kept making up excuses for why I hadn't heard yet, all along getting my hopes up. I was absolutely crushed when I heard they had offered the position to someone else but they just hadn't gotten around to sending out the letters yet.

I'm just saying this to warn you that you may want to adjust your expectations. I don't want to be a downer.

On the other hand, I'm in a new job right now. I left the interview feeling like there was no way I wouldn't get an offer. I was told I would hear by the end of that day (a Wednesday). I got an email later that day saying it would actually be the end of the week. So I waited and waited, and finally I got a call that Friday! I think it was just a case of the person who said I would hear by the end of the day was misinformed about the whole process. And I really really hope that's the case for you too!

StillTryin
08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Amy, I think that they underestimated the PROCESS, see the regional manager is based out of IOWA and he needed to be in NEBRASKA the day after the 2nd interview. Also this will be the first time they hire for this position in at this site....The secretary said they DIDNT make a choice yet, and she was the one that called for the second, and she said they were not mailing letters....so that is a good sign that time just got away and they truely havnt decided...and they could be waiting for background info, which may have taken longer, ect....although I wondered about the "just didnt get around to letting people know" theory also...I am not getting my hopes up anymore, just nice to know that I am still in the game....lol

tanyaf
09-01-2007, 07:45 AM
You have no obligation to explain why you would be a good choice despite being a mother. I wouldn't even bring it up....it makes you sound defensive, which makes them view it as a potential weakness. Having a life outside work is nothing to apologise for, and it's none of their business. (This is something that boils my blood, that after all this time women are still expected to "prove" that they can balance work and family, whereas a man would never even be asked the question.)

That said, I think you should probably continue your job search. The secretary probably couldn't tell you anything even if she wanted, because of privacy concerns. I would probably still be hopeful but I wouldn't put all my eggs in this basket.

StillTryin
09-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Tanya, I agree about the women/mother point you make completely...it is a sad truth that we have to defend out ability to balance life/work. I am not putting all my eggs in this basket and I continue to look for another job, just in case. I am still hopeful, but oddly enough, I have a certain peace about me now, like I have had an apiphany about this particular position/company. I would still like to get the job, but if I dont then it isnt going to alter my job hunt. Thanks!

Amy8888
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
So, have you heard anything yet?

StillTryin
09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
I wont hear until either tomorrow or Friday! and surprisingly ever since I talked to the secretary on last Friday I have been fine with not knowing.....but I am sure I will be more anxious knowing that the site manager will be back at work tomorrow and that "the call" may come then...but more than likely it will be Friday.....Thanks for asking, I will post ASAP! THanks for the support! I have applied to about 5 more places since last week too so, you never know! My DH is still convinced that I am going to be the one they choose...I hope he is right!