PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 05:59 PM   #1  

Default Question about PCOS

I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago when hubby wanted to concieve. My doctor ran all kinds of hormone blood tests to make sure that they were normal. Which they were! My question is, if PCOS is a hormonal problem, why are mine just fine?? I recently joined WW and have even been able to shed 12 pounds in 3 weeks. Does PCOS just affect women with such dramatic differences?

I am currently seeing and RE, and she performed the ovarian drilling surgery on my ovaries. From the tape of my surgery, I can definately see that my ovaries are definately Polycystic. I just don't get the whole hormone thing.

I also would like to know if any of you have tried concieving with shots of Gonal-f? If so how well does this drug work, and what are the chances of multiples?

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Old 01-02-2002, 08:13 PM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Default Dont confuse "normal" with "within normal range"

I too am within normal range but at the higher end. I can even rely on OPK's because I do not get the common LH surges. I didnt have cysts for 17 years...I only had tiny ones when they did indeed appear. This indicated to doc that they were recent in my lap.

Hormone imbalance is common but not necessary. It is only a side effect. Basically, look at your LH and FSH portions. It should be 1 to 1 or 1 to 2. PCOSers tend to be 2 to 1 or 3 to 1.

There are many factors to PCOS. Go to PCOSupport.org or Inciid.com/faq/pcos to learn more.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:08 PM   #3  

Default Thank you!

I just wanted to say thanks for replying! That definately makes sense. I guess I knew that every PCOS case was different, I just didn't realize that you could experience the symptoms within the normal range. I am going to check out that link right now. Again, thanks so much for responding!
Old 01-03-2002, 09:14 AM   #4  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Angry Anytime hun!

Closed Thread