Exercise! - advice needed on running program

View Full Version : advice needed on running program

rosemarie0007
08-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to run this by everyone to get advice.

I started running in my 30's pretty seriously. I ran some 5 and 10ks and ran around 4 or 5 miles a few times a week. I am now almost 44 and have been at an all time high weight for me. My average adult weight was 150, yeah somewhat over weight, but not too bad. I have managed to lose some weight but went on an endless plateau. I am currently calorie counting. So I figure I need to change something, and although I am working on the food thing, I thought how about if I run every day 3 to 5 miles? Would the extra calorie burn make me lose? I was currently walking 3 miles say 4 days a week, now I started running it, (it is actually a trail in the woods). The walking 3 to 4 hours a week only seemed to maintain my fitness level. I have also added tead mill workouts.
I think maybe I really need to get my heart rate up. After a week of these workouts, my depression seems better, and my energy level is higher, no drop off the plateau yet. and do I need to do the weights, should I add that in?
I should also add I've had knee surgery, but it seems to be getting better with the running.

-Elaine

baffled111
08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Yes! Run! Lift weights! Walking is good, but if you're reasonably fit, running is better. You need to get your heart rate up so that you're sweaty and out of breath. I don't think I could lose weight just walking (unless I walked on a serious incline on the treadmill or walked for hours and hours at a time).

Lifting weights is also very important--muscles consume more calories than fat and they also have a big impact on the shape of your body.

Sheila53
08-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't know if you should run 3-5 miles every day, but definitely add some running and see how it goes. Adding weight lifting (after being trained in proper form) is always a good idea.

rosemarie0007
08-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks, well yeah every day might be a bit rough, so I don't know maybe shoot for four runs, 2 walks and some weights and a day off?

I don't know what I was thinking, I somehow thought I could lose by just walking, guess not. I also noticed I was getting out of breath climbing stairs so that's when I figured I should get my heart rate.

I do work hard when I am on the treadmill though. I think I'm the only one who sweats at the gym. I see people get on there and walk at a very slow pace. How can you get in shape like that? And they're on for like 10 minutes. My last time I was there I burned 900 calories in 50 minutes. I usually crank the incline way up, jog at a slow pace and then lower it and run between 5 and 6.