LA Weight Loss - Fiber!!! Fiber!!! Fiber!!! Helps Weight Loss!

maiat
08-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I have glanced over recent threads and I have not seen anything on FIBER, so I thought I'd bring up the subject. I recently stalled in my weight loss and my counselor suggested adding more fiber to my diet. I have steadily lost every time I meet with my counselor since I started eating a diet rich in fiber!!!!!!!!! Every starch choice for me now is made by counting grams of dietary fiber. Some examples of starches high in fiber are: whole grain english muffin, whole wheat pita, brown rice, or potato with skin. Some proteins with fiber: black beans, lentils or great northern white beans. Some fruit with fiber: green apples, raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries. Some vegetables with fiber: brussels sprouts, romaine lettuce, broccoli, or spinach. Let me know how it goes!!

Sleepy68
08-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Yes, this is very, very true. I eat a bowl of fiber one cereal every morning and three oat bran muffins every day and I have lost 70 lbs in the past 5 mos. #1 it's filling and keeps you full longer, #2 because the body doesn't digest fiber it helps carry out all the body's waste leaving you leaner. It really does work.

maiat
08-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Congratulations on the weight loss! 70lbs is a huge accomplishment! We will have to get the word out about fiber! I have lost more weight in the month that I have been eating fiber than the three months before that where I was beating my head against the wall. I'm not sure why this isn't stressed more in weight loss programs.

Sleepy68
08-27-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't know either why it's not stressed, I lost not on any program, more my own change in diet and excerize, but there is no question that fiber has a LOT to do with it.

galachick
08-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Amen on the fiber!
I add the powdered Benefiber to my coffee every morning.
One of my favorite snacks is All Bran cereal in Weight Watcher's vanilla yogart. Yum! Yum!

dwilkinsonofthree
08-27-2007, 09:25 PM
I just can't seem to get this weight off after 4 weeks. Maybe if I had more fiber to my LA weight loss plan it will help. What kind of fiber are we talking about?

maiat
08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
The type of fiber can vary, depending on what you like, but here is an example of what I have been eating (the underlined food is high in fiber).

Breakfast: Quaker weight control oatmeal (maple flavored) with 1/2 cup raspberries, 8 oz. yogurt

Snack: LA Lite

Lunch: LA slimdown shake, celery with peanut butter

Snack: Granny Smith Apple, 8 oz. yogurt, 7 almonds

Dinner: Grilled Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, Brown Rice

Snack: LA Lite, 6 Strawberries, 10 peanuts

Other foods high in fiber:

Fruits: Blackberries, Strawberries, Raisins, Orange, Pear

Proteins: Lentils, Blackbeans, Great Northern White Beans, Kidney Beans

Starch: Whole Grain English Muffins, Whole Wheat Pitas, All-Bran Cereal, Potato with Skin, Sweet Potato, Whole Wheat Pasta

Vegetable: Broccoli, Carrots, Tomato, Spinach

Fats: Almonds, Peanuts

maiat
08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Almonds, Peanuts, and Strawberries are also good sources of fiber. I forgot to underline these. Sorry for any confusion.

maiat
08-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Renee (GALACHICK)

The All-Bran/yogurt concoction sounds wonderful. Thanks for the tip. Does benefiber change the taste or texture of the coffee? If not, I think I will try it. I love my coffee in the morning and I welcome any chance to add fiber to my diet.

merem
08-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Yes, this is very, very true. I eat a bowl of fiber one cereal every morning and three oat bran muffins every day and I have lost 70 lbs in the past 5 mos. #1 it's filling and keeps you full longer, #2 because the body doesn't digest fiber it helps carry out all the body's waste leaving you leaner. It really does work.

What kind of oat bran muffins do you eat? Are they homemade?

dwilkinsonofthree
08-28-2007, 01:12 PM
thanks I will try and eat more of them.

Lynx
08-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Maiat - Thanks for your list of suggestions for fiber. However, I have been told by my COD that Quaker Weight Control oatmeal is not on plan. I love it too, but if you want to lose weight, the advice is not to use it. Good old oatmeal is the trick.

maiat
08-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Wow! Really? I have been eating it about 3 times a week for at least a month and logging it in my journal and my counselor has never said anything about it at all. In fact, I have lost weight consistently while eating it. Thanks for the information! I will have to ask at my LAWL center. Maybe I'd lose even more if I ate plain oatmeal!?

Pastrey
08-28-2007, 02:37 PM
I add fibresure to my water. It is clear, tasteless, and does not thicken. I asked COD, and they said it is basically a freebie, each tsp. only has 5 calories and 3 grams of carbs, but has 3 grams of soluble fibre, and 3 grams dietary fibre. I find when I drink it, I am not hungry.

I was told by COD that some brands (Metamucil I think is one) count as a starch. Something to watch for on the labels of fibre supplements – how much carb/calorie they are.

maiat
08-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Patsy,

Thanks for the information. I have never taken a fiber supplement so I never even thought about carbs or calories in them. So is Fibersure the lowest in calories/carbs? I keep hearing about people having success using the brand Benefiber and was wondering if you (or anyone else) had an opinion on this.

Pastrey
08-28-2007, 04:22 PM
To be quite honest I don’t know if fibresure is lowest calorie/carb, although I suspect it would be one of them. Just looked up info on Benefiber. They seem to me to be very similar.

Fibresure powder – non-thickening, clear dissolving, tasteless. Per serving (1 tsp) 5 calories, 3 grams carbs, 3 grams dietary fibre, 3 grams soluble fibre, ingredient: inulin from chicory root. Mix 1 tsp with 8 oz. water or in food. Use up to 4 servings daily.

Benefibre – non-thickening, clear dissolving, tasteless. Per serving: (2 tsp) 15 calories, 4 grams carbs, 3 grams dietary fibre, 3 grams soluble fibre, ingredients: wheat dextrin (gluten free – less than 10 ppm gluten). Mix 2 tsp. with 4 – 8 oz. water or in food. Not to exceed 6 tsp. per day.

Some brands sweeten their supplement or flavour it, and/or add additives. This can increase calorie and carb counts…worth watching for before purchasing.

maiat
08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Patsy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to find that info. Is there a website that has this information? It sure does look like they are similar. Since Benefiber's serving is 2tsp. nte 6 times a day and is 15 cal. and Fibersure's serving is 1tsp. nte 4 times per day and is 5 cal., it seems Fibersure is slightly better. Thank you again,
Maia

NaomiZ
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I can't do any sort of fiber supplements, they have the opposite effect they are supposed to on me:o

maiat
08-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Is it b/c of the starch in them, you think?

NaomiZ
08-28-2007, 05:05 PM
not sure but even the pure physillium from the health food store does it. I worked for a health food store and tried many fibers but they all did it to me.

maiat
08-28-2007, 05:08 PM
What if you eat fiber in your food and skip the supplements - does that work?

NaomiZ
08-28-2007, 05:11 PM
lots of fibre rich foods give me big time gas problems:o

maiat
08-28-2007, 05:19 PM
that stinks!! LOL - just kidding. I wonder if beano would work. Just a thought.

Don't feel bad. I made black beans last night b/c of the fiber and my husband and I were joking about how it affects him. He has the same problem.

maiat
08-28-2007, 05:21 PM
BTW... Our stats are the same. We both started at 174 and are both 5' 2"!! Pretty cool.

NaomiZ
08-28-2007, 05:23 PM
I just have to be careful how much fibre rich stuff I eat, I laugh sometimes and offer to buy a canary for the bedroom so DH knows if it is safe or not ;)

NaomiZ
08-28-2007, 05:23 PM
BTW... Our stats are the same. We both started at 174 and are both 5' 2"!! Pretty cool.

that is pretty cool :)

Sleepy68
08-28-2007, 09:18 PM
What kind of oat bran muffins do you eat? Are they homemade?

Yes, they are homemade. Basically the recipe on the back of the oat bran box, minus the sugar and I use egg whites only and I mix in blueberries and walnuts. They are delicious, low cal, high fiber, very filling and lower your cholesterol as a bonus! You can't beat them.

mom2aljool
08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Does anyone know if we can have the Fiber One bars and if so, how do we count them? Thanks!

Suzanne

Pastrey
08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Maiat - websites: www.benefiber.com and www.fibersure.com

Benefiber actually gives label to read, fibresure website I couldn't find it, but got information from bottle that I have on my desk...

Hope this helps! :)

shshshhh
08-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I had the same problem with fiber and then gave something a try out of desperation. I started eating Activia light. One container is 1/2 dairy (it is 4 ounces). Figured I would try out there "eat this for 2 weeks and see the difference" and they nailed it. No more gas problems with more fiber. I was thrilled.

Also, with all this talk about fiber, wanted to mention how important it is to drink plenty of water (clear fluids, coffee does not count) especially when you increase fiber. Otherwise (YKKKK) it all could work the opposite for you, think "cork". (EWWWW). I have been eating all fresh and frozen vegetables and fruits since I started LAWL and do the best when I eat lots of fiber that week.

Just my 2 cents.
Roberta

Lynx
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi Roberta,
Regarding Activia - My COD told me that use of Activia is discouraged. It is not a program food. If it is used, it would be counted as a starch. This includes Activia light.

Note: I love it too, but I don't currently use it.

shshshhh
08-30-2007, 12:27 AM
That's weird, Lynn. You would think that all the COD's would have the same list. I will ask again. What kind of yogurt do you use?

maiat
08-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I know this one isn't specifically directed at me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth:-) #1) Lynn said the same thing about my Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal, only my COD said it is on plan. When asked why there would be a difference, my COD said there are differences btwn corporate LAWL and the franchises b/c their nutritionists sometimes have different philosophies about what is and is not on plan. The QWC oatmeal is working for me so I am going to continue to eat it, but I can completely understand why Lynn would suggest that I didn't, since that is the information she is getting from her COD!
#2) I eat Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt Smoothies (60) calories and YUMMY! It doesn't help with regularity (if you know what I mean;-) but it is on MY plan and is a great low cal/low fat alternative.

maiat
08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Lynn and Roberta, check out the Name Change Press Release Thread. It explains is way better than I did.

Maia

maiat
08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Ooops! I mean it explains it way better

aguerin
08-30-2007, 12:43 PM
A good source of fiber is the Fiber One Cereal. The LAWL serving size is 3/4 C = 28 grams of Fiber and is one starch. Over a days requirement for most people. It takes 2 servings of this a day for me.

Here is a link to the daily fiber requirements...
http://www23.netrition.com/rdi_page.html

And here is a link that explains the different kinds of fiber. Fiber one is 13 grams of Insoluable Fiber per serving and 1 gram of soluable fiber per serving. The LAWL serving size = 1.5 servings of the Fiber One Serving.

http://www.healthcastle.com/fiber-solubleinsoluble.shtml

Hope this helps. It sure did for me.

maiat
08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Amy, I think I will try some of that the next time I go grocery shopping.

emmysmom
08-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Maia - I'm sure that Lynn was only trying to help. I forget how much weight she actually lost, but it is alot. She only had your best interest at heart.

maiat
08-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Tina,
I agree and I apologize if it sounded like I didn't. I even sent Lynn a private message to let her know what my COD had said and to thank her for looking out for me.

Just to clarify (because it is sometimes hard to figure out the tone in a computerized message), in the message above I said I completely understand why she suggested I stop eating Quaker WC Oatmeal - because that is the information that she is getting from her COD (now we know why the info we were getting was different - Pure Fitness vs. LAWL). That message was posted before I knew about the corporate split and wanted to let Shshshsh know that there have been discrepancies in the past from one LAWL center to another. I in no way meant it as a slam to Lynn, and again, I apologize if it sounded like that was my aim.

Sincerely,
Maia

emmysmom
08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
My apologies, Maia...I misread your post. I thought that you said you can't understand. I wasn't trying to make you feel bad...honest. :hug:

maiat
08-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks Tina. I hope it didn't sound rude - sometimes I fear that my comments will come across as flippant when they aren't meant to be at all. Thanks for sticking up for Lynn though - b/c we do want this to be a fun place where nobody is getting hurt!

Sincerely,
Maia

shshshhh
08-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Maia -I definitely will check out that thread. Searching for it right now. Also how do you count your Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt Smoothies? Is it 1 or 1/2 dairy? (I am on Red with no lights and the Activia light has been counted as 1/2 dairy cause it is only 4 ounces).

Amy - Bookmarked both pages and will read them after I finish playing catch -up on this forum. I love Fiber One and add it to my yogurt with some frozen raspberries or blueberries, strawberries (whatever I have). If I let the yogurt sit a couple of mintues with the berries and then add the Fiber One, it is like having frozen yogurt with a topping. I went berry picking and made some sugar free (used Splenda) freezer jam and sometimes even put a teaspoon on top of my yogurt/cereal/berry thing. YUMMMMMM

Roberta

maiat
08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
They are 7 oz. so I count them as one dairy.

A lot of people really like yogurt and fiber one. I put it on my grocery list, but I keep getting so many good ideas.... thank you!

Roberta,
When you let it sit with the fruit in it - do you put it in the freezer?

bradleys mom
08-31-2007, 01:33 PM
OK, my yogurt says low fat but it has 240 cal per 8 oz, Im thinking thats way too much???

dene71
08-31-2007, 01:49 PM
My COD told me the low-fat yogurt has to be under 110 calories.

~Jer

maiat
08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
My center said the same thing as Jer's - under 110. The yogurt I found that I really like is even less than that. The Dannon light and fit yogurt smoothies are 60 calories, 0 grams of fat, 6 grams of sugar. If you don't want it in smoothie form, there is also regular yogurt that is 60 calories as well.

Maia

Dan2112
08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Kimberly - YES! I didn't know they even made yogurt with that many calories.. :lol: Just kidding.. I'm in one of "those" moods today...

Seriously though... Activa Lite is NOT on the list? I wonder why.. Why are some "program approved" and others not? I mean, it's just low fat, low cal yogurt, right?

I guess it's not that big a deal, as I usually have the Lite and Fit Smoothies...

As for fiber, I've been using citracel (or however it's spelled).. They make a no-sugar version that still tastes pretty good...

While I was in Idaho at the fire, I didn't take anything to help with regularity, because I figured it would "hit" me when I was out in the forest.. Then with the trip to Cruces this week, that put me off too.. I'm hoping to get back in the saddle here soon...

Such a lovely topic.. :lol:

shshshhh
09-01-2007, 12:39 AM
No, Maia, I don't stick it back in the freezer, just let it sit on the counter for about 15 mintues. The frozen fruit softens just a little and it "freezes" the yogurt. Then I stick the Fiber One (and/or 10 walnuts) on top. YUMMMMM

Kimberly, I am not an expert, but I think that is way too many calories. The Activia Light has 70 calories per 4 ounce cup (1/2 dairy) and 3 g of fiber. Low in sugar too, about 6 g. (I think). I will ask tomorrow when I go to the COD to WI.

Dan and Maia - I am going to try those Dannon Light and Fit smoothies. I use mine with cereal anyway, so that ought to be great. Thanks for the idea.

BTW, I just completed 2 days of the Acceleration Plan that was in the Woman's World magazine and I am STARVING. Good thing I can eat again tomorrow. Hope it did some good, I can see how some people talk about it putting you into starvation mode. Don't think I could manage to do that every week like they say. I am on Red without lights. I used a whey bar called "think thin" instead of the lunas. A little more calories (about 40/bar) but I can't have soy. I honestly don't think that 80 calories additional for the two days made a difference. Loved eating that whole cantaloupe every day, though.

Wish me luck

maiat
09-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Roberta,

Thanks for the info. I will try it that way. I got some Fiber One this weekend and was amazed at how much I liked it. I thought it would probably be tasteless, but it wasn't!

Maia

Heather115
09-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I think we have to determine what serving size we're talking about too. My Free to Live book (new plan) shows that 8 oz. of lite, artificially sweetened yogurt is a dairy exchange. I would think if you're being told by the COD that the yogurt should be under 110 calories, they would be referring to an 8 oz. serving. If that's the case, then yogurt that is 70 calories for 4 oz. is still exceeding that recommendation.

I've had trouble finding 8 oz. single-serving yogurt that is artificially sweetened and low- or non-fat. Everything seems to be 4 or 6 oz. I end up buying it by the quart. I measure out my one cup serving into a little ziploc container each morning and add frozen raspberries and peaches. It stays in the fridge then until about 3:30 and by then the fruit is pretty much thawed out and it's all very cold. That's the highlight of my day!!!

eander5696
09-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Another good source of fiber is ground flaxseed

shshshhh
09-04-2007, 07:59 PM
My center said the same thing as Jer's - under 110. The yogurt I found that I really like is even less than that. The Dannon light and fit yogurt smoothies are 60 calories, 0 grams of fat, 6 grams of sugar. If you don't want it in smoothie form, there is also regular yogurt that is 60 calories as well.

Maia

Maia - I finally remembered to get some of these today and just had one with the Fiber One and my frozen raspberries. Sooooooo yummy. Think I like it better than the Activia Light. You get a lot more for the 60 calories and since I eat it with the Fiber one, the consistency is better suited to the cereal.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar097/slider-lifter2/lb/10/0/10/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)
Thanks again. Great suggestion
Roberta

amylou7777
09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Just to add..my COD reccommended Steel Cut Oats. They take a while to cook, but with a little splenda they tasted pretty good, and let's just say they "worked" right away! I'd never had them before so I thought I spread the word.

maiat
09-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Roberta - I am so glad you like the smoothies. I was so excited when I found them, because I love them too! You can't beat the serving size vs. the calorie count. P.S. have you ever tried the Fiber One Honey Clusters? I bought a box of that too, in order to get some variety in my diet. The Fiber One Honey Clusters are about 100 cal more per serving, but I seem to lose more when I am eating a variety of foods vs. eating the same thing every day. Just a thought.

Heather in TN - That is a great idea to buy it in a large container and measure it out. It is probably cheaper that way too! If you ever have a need for convenient travel sizes try the Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt - it is 40 calories/4 oz., so it is 80 cal./8 oz.

They also have Smoothies that are 70 cal./7 oz.

Emily - I have heard that flaxseed is a good source of fiber, but I have never seen it in the grocery store. Do you get it at a healthfood store?

Amy - Thanks for the info on steelcut oats. I have never tried them either, but I think I will!

shshshhh
09-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Maia: Oh yummy sounding, will look for the Fiber One Honey Clusters too. I saw some fiber cereal in Trader Joes: What do you think?

Trader Joe's High Fiber Fruit and Nut Multigrain Medley
calories: 90 (2/3 cup serving)
fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Sodium: 55 mg (nice and low)
Dietary fiber: 7 g
Solublefiber: less than 1g
Insoluble fiber: 7 g
Sugars: 6g
Protein: 2 g

Anyone ???

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar097/slider-lifter2/lb/10/0/10/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

QueenLucia
09-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I love the fiberone series - all super good!
I found "source" yogurt made by yoplait - 0% fat - 50 cal per 4 oz...best deal going.

maiat
09-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Roberta - The Trader Joe's stuff looks good. You may want to get some to change it up a bit. I know that always helps me when it comes time to weigh in.

Lucia - I've never heard of Source yogurt, but I will look for it at the grocery store. I thought my yogurt was good, but yours has mine beat hands down!! Thanks for the info.