Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #1  

Default Faster-Than-Fast-Food Healthy Pantry Lunch

Hey Trader Joe's shoppers, if you haven't tried the pre-fab brown rice that comes in a little sealed bowl??

It's a new pantry staple of mine! You can nuke it in 90 seconds. It's really good, especially combined with TJ's black beans, leftover roasted sweet peppers and salsa and fresh diced avocado.....Yum!

!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7

I just read about it in the Fearless Flyer.....what is the nutritional information for that?
aliceINonederland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #3  

Well, just the same as if you made the rice from scratch, the ingredients are brown rice and water - no added fat, salt, etc.

The package says 340 calories and lists the whole thing as one serving, but it's really 2 servings, I either split it with my husband or put away half for later so that would be 170 calories.

Half of it is 2/3 cup, so that's a lot, it's very filling. I really find that a little brown rice keeps me full until dinner, especially combined with veggies & tea.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7

Thanks...I'll have to pick it up next time I stop by TJ's.
aliceINonederland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #5  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I got smart last week and cooked up a huge pot or brown rice and chicken breast. Separated into 1 cup portions each. Tossed in a sandwich bag and froze in a freezer bag.

Today I was really hungry and for some reason the sandwich I started eating tasted salty!

SO I grabbed a bag and popped in the microwave. yummy!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #6  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I'm so jealous of those of you who live close to a TJs. Up until two weeks ago, we lived within walking distance of one. We did virtually all of our grocery shopping there and at the farmer's market. (Even in CA TJ's produce is a bit spotty, and I hate all that plastic packaging they use!) Now the closest one is a 4 plus hour drive. Waaaahhhh!!!!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha! The nearest one for me is, hmmm, let's see. A hour's drive to the airport, ~2 hours waiting, 3.5 hours flight, another 30 minutes getting out of the airport, and then about 45 -60 minutes drive to TJ's. Seriously, if I can get to one one my way home from a trip I do. But unfortunately the frozen food it out of the question. I loved it when we lived about 10 minutes away from one.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #8  

For those of you who don't have trader joes, but have wegmans, they have them in the natural food section.
angela095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #9  

I need a bigger freezer!! I love freezing cupcake-portions of brown rice & steel cut oatmeal (they both take forever to cook!) in cupcake pans and popping them into ziplock bags, but between the kids popsicles and the ice and the little things you freeze for the lunchbags etc etc there's no room for FOOD in my minascule freezer!

BTW if you do freeze the cupcake size brown rice portions (1/2 cup each) they come out really good if you pop the frozen rice in a steam with fresh broccoli & carrots -- 7 minutes, and sometimes I broil some cheese over that.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love the convenience of heat and serve rice!!! I hated making rice.

Annie Chun also makes white/brown rice as well as delicious sushi kits (which I ADORE!)

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...cgrfnbr=582392

For those of you missing out in your local stores - you can order online
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #11  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8-EEE View Post
I love freezing cupcake-portions of brown rice & steel cut oatmeal (they both take forever to cook!) in cupcake pans and popping them into ziplock bags,
This is such a great idea. I try to buy things in bulk and cook/freeze rather than buy the "instant" version. I'm going to do that today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8-EEE View Post
BTW if you do freeze the cupcake size brown rice portions (1/2 cup each) they come out really good if you pop the frozen rice in a steam with fresh broccoli & carrots -- 7 minutes, and sometimes I broil some cheese over that.
Yummy. I also sometimes use brown rice as a hot cereal - add honey, milk, nuts, dried fruit, cinnamon, or any combination thereof.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote