Old 08-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #1  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Default Walking vs. Riding a Bike

does anyone know what is better. I know that walking for atleast 30 minutes for 5 days is really good for you. but is riding a bike better or not as good as walking. i like to walk but i just got a new bike and it is beautiful and i wanted to start riding. i walk about 1.5 miles a day so if riding 1.5 miles the same or do I have to do more or less to equal 1.5 of walking. thanks
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

There are lots of calorie/activity calculators out there, but one I found http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm said this for your weight at 30 minutes of activity:

Bicycling: 12-13.9 mph, leisure, moderate effort: 427.2 calories

Walk: 3 mph (20 min/mi) 176.2 calories
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

There are also other considerations between biking and walking. CC's calculator shows how the two compare as calorie-burning mechanisms, which is what your question seemed to indicate was what you wanted to know. But the two exercises also work different muscles, and you can work your arms more easily when you walk than when you bike. Also, walking is a weight-bearing exercise, which is great for your bones, but not always so good for the joints. Personally, I like to mix my weight-bearing exercises with my non-weight-bearing exercises so that I am getting the benefits of weight-bearing without also getting all of the wear and tear of it. I also like to mix it up to alleviate boredom with the same exercise, and I've heard that switching exercises can also keep your body off balance, which theoretically increases calorie burning as well. (Of course, for me at least, the biking comes with some soreness in the backside. I've heard that jelly seats are good at preventing that, but I've never tried it.)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

If you didn't have enough to consider...also think about the aerobic aspects of each. Regardless of which burns more calories, both can give you good aerobic workouts as long as you're getting your heart rate into the target range for you and keeping it there for at least 20 minutes. Obviously, if this is what you're doing then you're going to bike farther because you'll just cover more ground in the same 20 minutes. I'd mix up both and have a good time with it!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Very good points, Laurie and Tricia!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #6  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Another poinit: if you've had any trouble with your knees, biking is a good conditioner in preparation for walking! Many people who have trouble with their knees when they walk will find that trouble disappears if they ride a bike regularly. Then they are able to walk with comfort. This info came from a dr. who specializes in sports injuries.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

I don't believe that one is better than the other....kinda like apples and oranges...they're both good for you. As long as you raise your heartbeat...and feel just a bit breathless....you're doing a great thing for you body and your weight loss. Have fun!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I do both and I think I get a good workout both ways. I would definitely spring for a computer for your bike so you know how far you are riding and what your average speed is. That calculator may say 12-13 mph is "leisurely", but I think getting your average that high is a serious workout. I've had my new bike for about six weeks and just yesterday got my ten mile average over eleven mph. But I do LOVE my bike! So much more fun than walking.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I don't think I could do 12-13 mph consistently!! If it all!

You can travel much more quickly on a bike than walking, so riding 1 1/2 miles on your bike (on flat land) is going to burn many fewer calories than walking.

But as many people have said, that's not the only issue. I find that when I walk, I have to, you know, walk every second. On the bike you can take breaks easily and coast... but then you aren't burning calories and your heartrate drops (as others have said). I think if you're too leisurely about it, biking could be a lot less of a workout, but if you focus on it as a workout and strive to keep your heartrate up (as much as when you walk), it could be a lot of fun and a great way to burn calories!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #10  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Thank so much for your help everyone. I was just trying to switch it up. Walking hurts my knees so I was thinking that riding a bike would not be as hard on my joints. maybe ill switch it up. do bike one day and walk the next.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote