General chatter - Any Gardeners out there!

View Full Version : Any Gardeners out there!

freiamaya
08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
:wave: I've seen lots of special interests represented in the forum, but can't find any gardening groups!
I thought I'd see if there were any gardeners who wanted to share about their gardens and gardening! Photos would be great, too!
Looking forward to hearing from you all! :listen:

MangoKitty
08-27-2007, 12:59 PM
I, am officially the WORST gardener ever. i dug up the garden, planted the seeds, watered, and then got bored. lol. i think i've weeded twice? i dont even remember the names of two of the flowers i planted! but my pumpkins are growing! hopefully i'll be able to carve homemade jack-o-lanterns this halloween :)

lilybelle
08-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi, this has been my first year having a real garden and I've had a lot of success with it. I had planted sweet peas, bell peppers, potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob, jalapenos, cucumbers, squash, okra, tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes, cantaloupes, watermelon and pumpkins. The only thing I've had trouble with is the pumpkins. I either watered them too much or not enough, but they fell off the vines before they were ripe. We have used our fresh garden food all summer.

Less than 2 weeks ago, I replanted corn for the fall. It is about 6 inches high right now. My MIL has always had a great garden and was very helpful with mine as far as knowing when to plant everything.

GatorgalstuckinGA
08-27-2007, 01:28 PM
i would definately be interested. I just moved to my current house, so right now i don't have a garden. But my plan is this fall get a garden area dug up and prepped and then spring start to plant the appropriate veggies. I am hoping to do cukes, jalepenos, tomatoes (i've tried these last year but failed miserably), possibly some corn and then some rasberries and black berries. I definately would be eager to learn and have a forum.

walking2lose
08-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a fun thread. My husband and I have a veggie garden and a seperate herb garden. I'd join in!

MugCanDoIt
08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I would like this forum too. I have lots of flowers, and plant tomatoes in the spring.

Dale Junior Fan
08-27-2007, 05:39 PM
I too have a veggie garden and a few herbs planted. We have had a garden for years. I learned from my grandfather, who could grow anything. This year and usually every year we plant new potatoes, tomatoes, several different types of peas, green beans, cukes, squash, zucchini and this year I have fall blueberries. I am sure I have left something out....I did.....peppers.

Our tomatoes did not do anything this year. I don't know of anyone that planted tomatoes here that had success. I don't know what is going on. But I do have some planted for fall. We will see how they do.

Thanks for starting this thread for us.

GatorgalstuckinGA
08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Ok...so for the novice planter like me...what do you guys do in the fall/winter to "prep" your garden for the next growing season. I've seen a wide range of things out there? Once the weather stops being in the 100's my plant is to mark out my garden, dig out the grass and start getting it ready for next year. Any helpeful hints for a newbie...i really love the taste of home grown veggies and want to try it next year.

freiamaya
08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Mark out your future garden, dig up all the grass, then if you can, do something called double-digging. Here is a link describing what you ideally should do:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0105/double_digging.asp
For garden beds, this is a really great idea.
For the rest of your stuff, alot of people trim back all perennials once late fall hits. Others, like me in a Northern climate, leave the seed heads in place for the birds to eat over the winter. I do a spring cleaning instead of a fall cleaning.
If you clean out your beds, what you do is wait until late fall, then cut all the perennial flowers and plants down to the ground and remove them. You can, at this time, put a layer of mulch over the top and wait for winter. In the spring, plant as usual.
Hope this helps!!!

almostheaven
08-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Never gardened before in my life. Now that we're in our new home, and it's summer, I'm trying to figure out HOW to plant flower gardens and weed the flower boxes that were already there. I've been laying out mulch and bought a little weeder/trimmer. I've planted some flowers, some took, others are kinda keeling over in this heat. I guess I'll get better at it as time marches on.

freiamaya
08-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Experience, and a little reading goes a long way! ESPECIALLY if you find magazines/articles geared towards your local area. It doesn't help for me, in Canada, to be reading about garden plants that go gangbusters in Hawaii...
:)

mumof5
09-04-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm slowly landscaping the grounds of our new house (this is our second summer here, so far.) We don't have a proper vegetable garden yet, but I do have herbs in pots on the patio. My front yard and side yard look fantastic this year though. The previous owners had a thing for hostas; it's all they planted. Most of them have been given away (finally) or relocated to other parts of the yard. Okay, most of them are happily situated under a tree.

My local WalMart just had AARS roses marked down to TWO dollars, so of course I picked up about 5 of them. And a few lacecap hydrangeas. And a phaleanopsis orchid. Really, that's it. They've all found homes around the house, except for one shrub rose that just can't figure out where it wants to be.

This coming spring's project is to build raised beds for a vegetable garden. I'm not sure about ordering more daffodils and grape hyacinths this fall yet. Oh, and I'm going to plant garlic someplace, I'm just not sure where yet.

losinitin07
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Gardening is a passion of mine :sunny: I moved last year and had to leave behind 5 gardens and all the land was flat now I live in the woods,it has been a challenge along with the critters and shade I have done alot of reading my local library has a ton of books and mags to read that has been a big help. Thanks for starting this forum.:broc::carrot:

freiamaya
09-10-2007, 02:31 AM
I think your climate in Northern Maine is quite similar to mine! Good luck with the shade, especially if it is dry shade, but it sounds like you have alot of experience. Sorry about the 5 gardens you left behind...
:)

LaDean
09-10-2007, 02:43 AM
Hi, in Oregon here and have 2 large gardens. can alot of things. got cucumbers now and tomatoes are coming on slow. had a disease in plant of some kind. so not good. we are retired and love it. Hubby is always busy in it.I love going out and getting fresh vegies and eating them. we also have flowers about. LaDean

freiamaya
09-10-2007, 11:58 AM
If the disease hit your tomatoes, and the leaves were all yellow and curled, you had tomato blight. It's really common. Next year, plant your tomatoes in a different location and spread them out a bit. Blight LOVES crowded conditions. :)

losinitin07
09-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Any one planting spring bulbs ,I am ,a little disappointed because there are certain bulbs I want but the stores here are not carrying them all I can seem to find is tulips and daffodils.I like bulbs but not the long winter wait:blah: but guess we have to have snow:dizzy:

ShyShy19
09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone.
I'm not a gardener becasue I just don't know how to do it but I would like to learn.
I have a couple questions maybe 1 of you could answer. I plantes some labelia when summer started and they ended up so pretty, but after it got to be over 100 degrees they just burnt up. Now that fall is coming up I want to plant something else. I had used the labelia as like a trim in my flower baed area and there are still a few alive so what do I do now. Dig up the crispy ones in the ground? I want everything to look nice so should I also dig up the few that still are living and plant then somewhere else, throw them away.
Thanks ladies.

Well for my second question, I live in a condo and I don't have a back yard, just a patio, is there anyways I can have a small veggie garden, in like some king of box or something?

raebeaR
09-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Please count me in on this one! Gardening is my favorite hobby. Another Oregonian here, and slowly learning what's different from growing in California. I come from a large family of gardeners and learned much about it from my maternal grandmother and my father. But there is always more to learn!

We now live very rural and grow/raise most of our own food. We just stocked the freezer with a homegrown steer and half a hog... there is pear wine burbling away in the pantry and a ton of preserves already put up for the year.

In the vegetable garden this year we grew and are growing: Potatoes, asparagus, cantaloupe, peas, lettuce, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, corn, strawberries, tomatoes, basil, artichokes, onions, leeks, garlic, arugula, beets, carrots, radishes, peppers, celery, spinach, Swiss chard, cilantro, Italian parsley, chives, dill, rhubarb, sage, oregano, camomille, thyme and rosemary. We are fortunate to have an orchard that produces pears, figs, plums and apples. I'd like to add peaches. We have black cap raspberries, boysenberries and grapes growing in cultivated rows, and of course Oregon is overrun with wild blackberries. I just picked enough to make 9 pints of jam.

It's harvest time, and I will be canning like a mad woman for the next month or so... I'm sure to have questions for you all, and if I can make any meaningful contributions, I'm happy to do so!

Rae

K8-EEE
09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Oooh double digging, that's aerobic exercise, seriously.

Today and tomorrow are my gardening days! I got a ton of fall mums in the little 6-packs at OSH hardware for only $3/pack. I replaced a lot of my burnt out summer beds with them today.

Here in El Lay it's getting time to change out the summer stuff and put the fall stuff in. Two things I absolutely HAVE to get in by the first of Oct; the sweet pea seeds I put on my tomato cages (if I'm lucky we have a house full of them for Christmas, but def for the new year!)

Things I'm planting a seasonal "Sonoma Diet" garden in October: mesclun lettuce "Monet" mix, "bright lights" swiss chard, cilantro, french breakfast radishes. The greatest thing is to be able to take some scissors out and cut some stuff for salad! Cuz I HATE wilted salad stuff, there is nothing worse than slimy bags of cilantro in the back of the fridge.

almostheaven
09-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Well for my second question, I live in a condo and I don't have a back yard, just a patio, is there anyways I can have a small veggie garden, in like some king of box or something?
My aunt grew tomatoes and something else (don't recall) in window boxes in her condo.

raebeaR
09-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone.

Hi, ShyShy,

I have friends who lived in downtown San Francisco on a third-floor walk-up apartment, and they had the most astonishing vegetable garden on their patio... it was all in pots, and they had nearly every vegetable you can imagine up there! So yes, you can create quite a garden on your condo patio. It's all a matter of how much time and effort you want to put into hauling soil, water, fertilizer and the like. Many vegetables are fairly shallow-rooted and won't need soil much deeper than 6-8 inches. Tomatoes do well in pots. Lettuce and spinach need almost no dirt to grow (well, a few inches, though!). What sorts of things do you want to grow?

Re your lobelia, yes, if it's crisped, it's unlikely to recover to any meaningful extent... I'd dig it up and replant with something else.

losinitin07, what bulbs are you trying to get that aren't available? Usually the nurseries and stores sell the things that are appropriate to plant at whatever time of year they're selling them, so if you're after something that is better planted at another time of year, it will turn up then. :) Thanks for reminding me it's time to plant tulips -- we need LOTS more!!

Rae

K8-EEE
09-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Shy shy, this time of year I replace my lobelia in my front walkway with blue and orange pansies. They usually make it through the winter fine (here in LA at least!)

My advice is to get the little ones (in the 6-packs) - give them some spacing (6 inches or so) and they will fill out fine by Nov.

The only problem with discussing gardening on a national forum is that it varies so much by region. Now is a major planting season here in So CA, but in colder parts of the country they are doing coldframes and other stuff and sort of closing shop for the winter.

As far as bulbs go we can't grow crocuses and tulips and those things without a huge hassle (keeping bulbs in your fridge for weeks, away from apples and etc etc.) with one notable exception: Ranoculous! These are beautiful and you can plant them next month.....all you have to do is dig some good soil amendment into a bed, pop these scrawny little things in and each one will give you TONS of flowers in a few weeks.

GatorgalstuckinGA
09-19-2007, 09:53 PM
i'm proud of myself..i just started a compost pile for my plants and soon to be garden. Did a bit of reading..and then this week when i did yard work, i layerd the leaves and grass clipping and now i'm adding the left over veggie waste, egg shells and coffee grounds as they accumulate. Looking forward to getting the thing going. Will turn tomorrow to see if its "cooking"

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-20-2007, 03:51 AM
I luv gardening as well; but, the weather here this year was terrible. We did get some green and yellow beans; and my peas, onions and summer turnips did well. My salad garden by the door (it's in a recycled dryer drum; gonna do two of them next year) always does very well.

I always have marigolds in hanger planters, pansies and petunias also do very well in them too; fragrant allysum is nice around the edges. I have had some success with red geraniums too. My TINY TIM tomatoes are doing well; just pickin' the ripe ones as I go; have been having trouble with the slugs this year; we are battling over who is going to get the tomatoes.

We also compost; use the shell of an old washing mashine for that; DH took the guts and bottom off; it's so ez to use, just open the lid and put the stuff in; we also add a bit of soil now and then. Each year, there seems to be some problem that comes up, so we just move things around (rotate) and that seems to fix the problem.

We had bad frost that froze my potatoes; lost them and only about a half row of beans; didn't have enuff water in the spring, so got only half what we should have. Our winter turnip aren't growing much this year and the carrots are puny; but we are leavin' them in, as maybe by November they will be bigger. I'm changing my source for seed next year; going back to a more reliable company for a better quality seed. Oh well, there's always next year ...

losinitin07
09-20-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm trying to find checker lilies,I'm going to mail order because no one here sells them ,There are only three bulbs to choose from this year daffodils,tulips and frittillia (sp) I ordered some checker lillies from ebay last fall they never came up .Might be the location or may be the bulbs were not good. I live in the woods on the side of a hill with lots of shade,last fall I planted a lot of bulbs the tulips the chipmunks ate ,now the ones planted with daffodils they never bothered,so I will plant daffodils with the tulips. I buy a lot my plants at the spring plant sale the local garden club has,the plants are .50 to 3.00 and they have a lot to choose from also I have a friend who has tons of gardens and she either gives me the plants or sells them cheap.I live in a small border town the nearest mall is 70 miles away and that one is a baby compared to the one in the big city which is 120 miles away all I here is 3 grocery stores,1 walmart and 2 hard ware stores,only walmart and one hardware store sell bulbs and they do not have the selection they had last year.:?:

losinitin07
10-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I ordered my checker lily bulbs ,hopefully these ones come up.Where did every one go? I have been finding some really great buys on perennials big plants for $2.50 I read that this is the time of year to plant they get really strong roots over the winter.Today I bought a lily and a purple Jacobs ladder. I see walmart has marked their plants down but they are half dead any other northern gardeners finding deals on plants? :smug:I hope you all doing ok.Have a good day.

freiamaya
10-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Shyshy, you can absolutely plant patio pots with vegetables -- it just depends on what you want! A great start is to get a large plastic or fiberglass pot (easier to move) and fill it with potting soil. Ask your garden center, because if you use regular dirt, it will be too heavy and will compact down and kill everything!
Once you have your soil, plant one tomato plant, 2 basil plants, one parsley, and one oregano plant. If you have room, add a rosemary plant. You will have an Italian garden box!
Another great combo is a hot chili pepper plant (try Thai chilis or jalapenos), cilantro, and vietnamese mint. If you want a great and hardy plant, try the specialty mint varieties such as chocolate mint (when you crush the leaves, it smells like an after-eight mint!) or banana mint. For flowers, you can go with a lavender. It will flower in the spring, but you can dry the leaves (just cut the long stems, bind them together with twine, and hang upside-down) and use them to scent your clothes drawers. You can even bake with lavender!
If you want to be more adventurous, you can get a triangular support (looks like a metal pyramid), stick it in the bin, and grow peas. Peas need to climb, hence the metal pyramid! You MIGHT be able to get away with baby carrots, but your space will be limited.
And, of course, for all season color, plant marigolds. The scent helps deter mosquitos, so they are great around the patio. Just pull off the spent blooms (called dead-heading) and they will bloom forever.
Make sure you check the soil each day and water accordingly!

losinitin07
10-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Well spent some time this week cleaning up the gardens tis such a sad time know that old man winter is not far behind I miss all the colors that come with spring and summer .I have planted my fall bulbs just know waiting for the checker lilies to arrive so I can plant those .Well happy gardening :carrot:

losinitin07
01-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Are you being tantalized by the seed catalogs won't be long though. I can't wait for all those bulbs the I planted last fall to bloom.I love to sit in the dead of winter and look at the catalogs with all the pretty flowers so many to choose from .It's almost like sitting in the garden on a warm spring day.;)

dgramie
01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
I live in KY. and I have already noticed my easter flowers poking their head thru the ground. I love my flowers and we had our very first garden last year. My husband sufers with a mental illness and I have found its great for him. WHen he is full of energy he can dig and when he is not I get to do all the work. BUt thats ok. We had lots of grape tomatoes last year. We actually had more tomatoes than we could ever eat from 4 plants. We also had squash and peppers. IT was great fun and hubby found a sense of pride in it. Plus the food was awesome!!!!!!

flipflopfloosy
01-30-2008, 11:07 PM
[CHello Fellow Gardener!!! I have been learning to garden for about ten years now! And honey! Let me tell you!! I still kill plants!(Chuckle-Chuckle) I Just planted beautiful tulips this last spring.I put them in a long wooden container and placed the box on top of big rocks so the box was level with the living room big bay window. (The bay window is as big as a the other wall) and I am so proud to say I am the mama of 9 or 10 Beautiful baby Tulips!!! Please respond. I am new and I still have to find out how to retreive messages so give me time to respond back to you ,afterwards. o.k.from flipflopfloosy I' would love to answer any gardening questions you may have.wednesday 7:07 p.m.OLOR="Green"][/COLOR]