Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default New running shoes & blisters?!!

Hey,

I got fitted for running shoes at a reputable store. they checked my foot/arch/ gait, ect... the shoes support my foot and feel good.

Today I went for my first attempted run. I lasted about 1.5 minutes ( it's a start), and walked the rest ( about 45 minutes) My shoes have caused blisters on the backs of my heels, where the shoes rubbed up. I had socks on that covered the area....

Is this because the shoes need to be broken in? The blisters aren't anything unbearable, it's just enough to notice.

since I'm new to this running thing, I just wanted to know if this is normal at first?

Thanks in adv.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Oooh - that doesn't sound good or comfortable! I ran in my new shoes the same day I got them and they never rubbed or hurt anywhere

My suggestion, in all honesty, is to take them back to the store - explain the situation, and maybe they can remedy the situation (either with those shoes, or others)... maybe someone else has a better suggestion?

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

You can try some bodyglide or vaseline on the area, but I'd take them back to the store. The only time I get blisters is if my shoes don't fit properly, unless something strange happens, like running in rain, or way way increasing mileage.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Yep, return 'em. They don't fit properly. I bought new running shoes after similar gait analysis a couple of weeks ago and I've been running comfortably in them ever since. No blisters or pain.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #5  

Running shoes do not get broken in. They need to fit right when you get them.

Were you wearing the same socks you were fitted with? Socks matter, and they aren't all interchangeable.

Go back and exchange the shoes. If you're not already wearing proper running socks (yes, such a thing really exists, and yes, you need them if you're planning to run), you should get a few pairs and wear them to fit the new shoes.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Agree with the rest of the group - return them. Unless you were running in the rain, or there was some other unusual situation, they don't work for you. You should not be getting blisters after 4 miles - I ran 20 today in my new shoes, and they feel great. And if you haven't already, definitely get some non-cotton running socks to run with and wear them when you try on your shoes.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/205/185

Height: 5'10"

Socks come in many thickness, I buy my from target (low cut) nylon-cotton
combo. Another shoe may have a more narrow heal cup if your feet are small
different brads have various shapes. good luck.
geobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM   #8  

Even though that isn't what I wanted to hear, I thank everyone for the advice. I"ll return them...it's a let down because so far I find running really challenging alone, and thought I was doing the smart thing by getting running shoes. I wore the same socks yesterday as i wore when I bought and was fitted for the shoes.

When I get time ( probably Wednesday ) I'll return them and see what other options there are for me...found out that the store is open until 9 pm...so I'll go tonight. It's frustrating, but I'd rather take care of the problem now than hurt myself or waste money on shoes that don't perform right.

Last edited by Optical Goddess; 08-27-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #9  

Quote:
thought I was doing the smart thing by getting running shoes
And you were. Fitting shoes is an art, not a science, and even experienced runners make buying errors-- that's why running stores will exchange used shoes.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

There are some specialty running socks too I would recommend wearing those...

I've had blisters with new running shoes that were fitted, it took a couple of runs before they were`"broken in" then they were fine...

The running stores around here will not take back the shoes if that have been used outside, only if they were used on a treadmill...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #11  

Hey,

Just wanted to update on my shoes....I took them back to the store and spent about 45 minutes walking and running with various sock/footwear combinations.

The culprit, it seems, is the socks. They were cotton, and when wet, rubbed up against my heel, as they were looser socks. It would make sense that the blisters didn't start until I was sweaty, and well, I did have two different socks on. Y'know, the ones that look really close to one another, but don't make a pair...

So, armed with new socks, I'm going to try to run more than 1.5 minutes....as far as that is concerned, I'm not used to running outside ( or running in general) with a treadmill, it forces you to go a certain pace, but outside doesn't... I still feel good that I'm giving it a definiate go.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Sounds like you got some good advice from your local store, so that's great. Cotton is evil when running - to be avoided at all costs, for all clothing items!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote