Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default How About a Make-up Thread?

I used to wear full face! The whole she-bang! Three colours of concealer ... you name it. Um ... I don't any more. In fact, when we moved last September, I pitched everything old.
But now I have a hankerin' for new.
I think I'm good with the CoverGirl foundation, loose powder and concealer ... but then I'm struggling.

Want to talk about it? Colours, new colours, brands, products ... I could even use a nice set of brushes. Anybody?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #2  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

I like bare minerals. Especially, the powder liner cause it can be turned ito a liquid liner. I want to try some M.A.C. I've heard thats the best stuff.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I'm also a Bare Minerals user. I absolutely LOVE it!! I'd never go back to liquid foundation again. Mineral Veil is the best stuff on earth....makes me look flawless & at 46 years old, I'll take all the help I can get!!!

I'm also a big believer in Rimmel mascara's & eye shadows....I've tried many from expensive to cheap and these work well for me.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/174/165

i like max factor foundation (good coverage) and maybelline mascare i think is the very best! for lipstick i like the outlast stuff
mommyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #5  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I went to a Sephora store and I was impressed because they had a very helpful staff that put stuff on my face, the results of which succeeded in luring me into buying it. (Bare Minerals in this case.)
Although I must admit, in my case it is like trying to put an attractive garnish on something that has already gone bad, so it's kind of futile. But the Sephora stores carry a wide range of brands so you can get all swimmy-eyed looking at everything.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Another Sephora fan here. I went in the other day and bought 2 lip glosses, a lipstick and two new eyeshadow palettes, what fun! It's an easy way to browse through a lot of options quickly, and I've found their staff to be quite helpfull too. And their own store line has a lot of nice stuff that's pretty reasonably priced compared to some of the department store brands. They sell nice brush sets too Susan, I picked one up last year that's held up quite nicely.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #7  

Are these mineral powders the only foundation you use?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/183/121?

Height: 5' 4"

I have SO much makeup, but I change up colors and stuff every couple months. It runs the drugstore-to-department store gamut. My basic face:

1) Mix Coppertone oil-free SPF 15 sunblock with Neutrogena Visibly Even foundation (Natural Buff) for a tinted sunblock. It does wonders for my insanely oily skin. I love it, and I've never ever been one to wear liquid foundation. I always have worn sunblock every day though.
2) Physician's Formula Mineral Wear pressed powder (translucent) applied with a brush.
3) Neutrogena Lash Tint (black) mascara.
4) A berry-to-red shade of lip gloss or lipstick. Brightens up my face.
5) Benefit Cosmetics Brow-Zings (02-medium).

If I go for blush, I use Delux Beauty Flush Stick (Camel or Orange Rose) or Tarte cheek stain (Tickled Peach). I also have a NARS powder blush that gets neglected. I may have to bust that out.

For my eyes, I hardly wear eyeshadow since it all melts off my eyes. when I do, I usually use a baby pink or gold. Both make me look awake and fresh, but not obviously made up.

As for brushes, I have used my Benefit Cosmetics brushes for years and years. Love them.

I had to add in the greatest lip liner ever: Sonia Kashuk Lip Definer in Maple. It blends into your natural lip tone so you aren't left with some gross ring around your mouth. Very natural. It's not an everyday product for me, but it does polish up your look when you need it.

Last edited by swiminky; 08-26-2007 at 05:02 PM.
swiminky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am curious about the minerals make up, too. To me it looks like old fashioned powder that you put on with a brush instead of a powder puff that they used , back in the day. Can someone enlighten me?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

i'm a big mac user..when i use makeup. I love their base and blush and their eye shadows are fun and funky. I haven't been overly impressed with their lipstick however. I only wear makeup a 1-2 times a week...but i do like mac's stuff.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #11  

I'm with Bargoo ... the though of dusting on a light-weight powder that's going to act like foundation really appeals to me. From what I've read, it sounds like it's just much nicer stuff than our old compact.

Do green-eyed gals still wear purple tones? I've got a hankering for some of those lovely browns.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #12  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Susan -
Let me say that this is going to be like getting sex advice from the Pope --
BUT-
you don't need any other foundation besides the Bare Minerals.
However:if and when I want to do it really right:
There is a wonderful substance called Smashbox foundation primer. It does what it says it does: fills in lines and pores.
http://www.smashbox.com/index.cfm/fu...-87814fccd060/
then the mineral stuff on top of that, makes it about as good as it can get for me.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Bare minerals really does take care of itself. I love that stuff, but it is so expensive for the whole line. I also have very sensitive skin on my face, so store brand cosmetics are a big nono for me

I use Mary-Kay's skin care treatments and make up because its so gentle on my face.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 AM   #14  
sfj

I also use the Bare Minerals. I love it. Threw out all my other make up. I bought a starter kit from one of the shopping networks. Had 2 colors of foundation and 2 different brushes and mascara. Then I went to ebay and bought a lot of the other stuff. The eyeshadows, lip color and more brushes. It is all I will use now.
sfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Are these mineral powders the only foundation you use?
My skin tends to be oily so...I apply a thin layer of Mineral Veil first, then I buff on the Bare Minerals powder foundation, the Bare Minerals blush and then I finish with another thin layer of Mineral Veil.

You "buff" these products into your skin and while they may seem a bit pricey...very little is needed so, they last a long time. The result is smooth, flawless skin with no line of demarkation. They feel very light on your skin which is very nice in hot, humid weather. You don't look like you're wearing makeup and the products are good for your skin. The foundation contains an SPF 15. I've been using them for probably 6 years now and I would never go back to anything else. I order mine from Ebay which I've found to be somewhat less costly.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 08-27-2007 at 09:44 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote