100 lb. Club - In Your Face, Doctor Smartypants!

View Full Version : In Your Face, Doctor Smartypants!

Robin41
08-23-2007, 05:16 PM
The final straw for me before starting this weight loss was going to the doctor and finding out my blood pressure was 146/95 and my fasting glucose was 124. With my weight the way it was and a bad family history, the doctor started writing my prescriptions for medication. I really didn't want to start meds at my age so I told him to give me 6 months and see what I could do.

His exact quote was, and I won't forget it, "Everybody says they'll lose weight and exercise but nobody ever does it. Come back in 3 months and we'll get you started on medication."

Today was my 3 month appointment. Weight down 55 pounds and my blood pressure was 121/79. Fasting glucose thing was 91. He was freakin stunned. So in your face smartypants doctor. Try having a little faith once in awhile.

When I was leaving he said he wanted to see me in 3 more months just to check on things but that if my numbers were down anymore then he was going to hire me to sit in his waiting room and be his visual aid for diet and exercise.

So anybody who thinks that it takes forever to make a real difference in your health, it really doesn't. Three lousy months of doing the right thing can make a huge difference in your health and quality of life, and shut up a doctor, all at the same time. :D

GirlyGirlSebas
08-23-2007, 05:26 PM
OH, I just love it!!!! You go, Girl!

vealcalf2000
08-23-2007, 05:31 PM
OMG Robin that's fantastic! LOL I would love to of seen the look on that Dr's face. I'm sure he runs into patients who don't follow through but you proved them all wrong!!!

NotTheCheat
08-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Robin - That is too cool! Now he can't say nobody ever does it! Hopefully he will have a bit more faith in all his patients now.

Lyn2007
08-23-2007, 05:54 PM
That is fantastic! I want to be wondergirl as well!! I will get back to you in 3 months :)

Lyn
TEN pounds GONE, 100 to go.
My Blog:
http://www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com/

sharonrr1
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
That is fantastic. It feels great to be in control of your own health with diet and exercise. My bp was not high but it has gone quit alot also. It is amazing what a person can do when she truly wants to change.

alinnell
08-23-2007, 06:30 PM
When I was leaving he said he wanted to see me in 3 more months just to check on things but that if my numbers were down anymore then he was going to hire me to sit in his waiting room and be his visual aid for diet and exercise.

That is too funny!

WTG on the loss and shoving it in his face!!!!!

hellokitty81668
08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Lol , I loved this story!!! Way to go!!!!
cheryl

CLCSC145
08-23-2007, 06:58 PM
RIGHT ON!!!!!:cp::cp::cp:

GingerA
08-23-2007, 07:23 PM
OMG. What a fabulous effort. congrats, Robin.

Sheila53
08-23-2007, 07:38 PM
:bravo: You've done an awesome job!

AngieP
08-23-2007, 07:48 PM
YOU GO, Girl!! :dancer::dancer:

boaterswife
08-23-2007, 08:12 PM
OMG, I'm sitting here shaking my fist in the air yelling YES!!!! Good for you for proving to yourself and to Dr. Smartypants that you CAN do it!!! Keep it up, you are such an inspiration!

1oftheLuvs
08-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Good Job! :carrot:

It may not have been Doctor Smartypants' intention, but it sounds like he may have motivated you... ;)

LondonJulz
08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
:lol3::rofl: That is so stinkin' awesome, Robin! Congrats!!!

Congrats on your astounding weight loss in 3 months! AND, way to go with making the doctor eat his words!!! :cp::dancer::woohoo:

Robin41
08-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks everybody. The real motivation was not really from the doctor himself but from the horrified look on my husband's face when I got home. He's gone through a lot of tragedies, including the death of a child, and when he told me he didn't know what he'd do if something happened to me, it really hit home.

In the "old" days I'd have been breaking out a bag of oreo's because I would have thought I'd earned them. Today I went to the gym instead. :)

LaurieDawn
08-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Wow! I am feeling really good about what I've accomplished in three months (and continue to feel good about it, actually), but you have rocked it! 55 pounds in three months is INCREDIBLE. And I love that you educated your doctor a bit as well! Congratulations!!!

junebug41
08-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I think that's really cool! He probably struggles every day with his patients regarding diet and exercise and their health and I bet he's right- lots of folks *say* they are going to make the change, but end up on meds. Just think Robin, you probably gave him some hope back :) You probably inspired him to inspire other patients. Pretty neat if you ask me.

rockinrobin
08-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Wow. Just wow. I don't even know you, yet I am so unbelivably proud of you and so very happy for you.

I'm glad to see that doctor was complimentary towards you, after he doubted that you could lose some weight when he first gave you your not so great numbers. Maybe now when he's faced with patients in a similar circumstance, he will site you as an example.

Congratulations Robin. You are doing amazing. Just amazing. Keep at it. I know that you will. You have inspired so many people with this your great results. :)

shelby897
08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Amazing, tremendous job, congratulations, etc. You ROCK!!! :D

Coming from the other side, I work for doctor's and the majority of people would have gained 20 pounds in that three months instead -- I know the doctors get frustrated when they are looking out for a patient's health and the patient doesn't seem to care. You showed him -- I'm sure he's proud of you too and is telling all his friends about "this amazing patient who put her mind to it and got the job done!!".

Jasmine31
08-23-2007, 09:16 PM

That is awesome!! Keep it up!!!! WHat plan are you on?

Robin41
08-23-2007, 09:30 PM
That is awesome!! Keep it up!!!! WHat plan are you on?

I'm just a plain old calorie counter. 1200-1400 a day and getting to the gym 5 times a week. I think I have a little advantage in that I never stopped being active even when weighing a ton. I got to jump right back into it when a lot of people would have had to start out a lot slower.

That and having a bit of an issue with OCD. You point an obsessive compulsive in the right direction and you'd better get out of their way. LOL.

Ericah
08-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Wow 56 lbs in 3 months! That truely is AMAZING! You've inspired me to step it up a notch! Way to go and thank you for sharing your story :)

Bobbie Wickham
08-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Seriously, talk about a great story. And I totally get the "Well, I'll show YOU!" mentality.

I second, third, etc. everyone saying what a great inspiration you are and motivating them to step it up. My calorie range is a wee bit higher--1300 to 1500, but I really want to push myself more on exercise.

xJox
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
HOLY WOW! 55 lbs in 3 months? Unreal. Congrats to you!!! I bet the Dr was floored.

better health3
08-23-2007, 11:00 PM
I am really proud and happy for you!!! Wonderful job!

My blood glucose has been at the pre-diabetes level lately. Thanks for showing me what 3 months can do.

blondebritbrat17
08-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Wow that's great! I love it when people have to eat their rude and judgmental words. Thanks for inspiring me!

ThinGirl in FatBody
08-23-2007, 11:22 PM
That must have felt to great! to rub his nose in your success! Keep up the GREAT work!

traci in training
08-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Great job, Robin! And don't you love it when the %$&@ OCD works in your favor for a change??? Harness that energy and point it somewhere and then just clear the road!

KforKitty
08-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Wow, is all I can say. I've lost 35lb since May and I thought I was doing well. Just shows what you can achieve with some determination.

Kitty

TempleBody
08-24-2007, 07:14 AM
How unsupportive of your doctor... I'm glad you showed him!! And I'm glad he's got a positive store to share with his clients now.

KrisR
08-24-2007, 07:24 AM
I could have written the first part of your post. Give me 3 months and I'll write the 2nd part! I've never had medical issues before from my weight - and it has certainly been a wake up call for me.

Thanks for sharing your success. It gives me so much hope!

Gretchy
08-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Wow! Good for you! I'm very proud that you were able to do it, and I'm impressed you were able to show your doc what's what! Keep it up!

Jen415
08-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Awesome, Robin!! :):):)

ChristyDM
08-24-2007, 11:59 AM
:cb::dance::dancer::cheer2::broc::carrot:

Woohoo!! Way to go Robin!! I am very impressed, not only with your determination but in the fact that you got a doctor to admit he was wrong...haven't heard of that happening too often.

Jasmine31
08-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanx for sharing that with us. You are doing amazing! Good ole' cal counting to the rescue!!

missy3gal
08-24-2007, 11:20 PM
You go girl! I saw the same reduction in BP the last time I was able to stick with a plan. Sadly, I never made it back to the second, 3 month visit. My Dr. Smartypants won. Don't let yours.

lilybelle
08-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Congratulations, that is awesome. This post really hit home for me. Medical issues are what motivated me to take the weight off. Proving my smartypants Dr. wrong about me was super sweet also. After reaching my goal weight my Dr. told me only 10% of his patients ever reach the goal he has set for them. I not only reached his goal, but lost an extra 5 lbs. just for good measure. LOL.