Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #1  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Does Anyone Here Surf?

Anyone here do any surfing (as in ocean waves, not the internet!)? Is it as good of a work out as it seems? Is it as much fun as it seems? It looks like such a blast and I'm dying to learn!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #2  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi Wisher -
I have not full-blown surfed; only boogie-boarding. But I love boogie-boarding, and I don't have to be as coordinated! I would love to try surfing though; and a co-worker lives with a surf instructor so maybe.... (50 isn't too old, is it???) I will tell ya though there is nothing as humbling as looking for a wet suit to fit into. For my weight, wet suit makers think I should be about 6'4". What's up with that? Overweight people aren't supposed to go in the ocean??? Oh well. I will put that on the goal list. To fit into a medium-sized womens' wetsuit.
jo
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I used to love boogie boarding when I live in SoCal, which was actually a pretty good workout for me, but never tried surfing. Looked too hard to me, but I bet you would tone up quick, not to mention gain major balance and coordination skills. I'd say if you're interested, go for it!
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

i surf. it is a whole lot harder then it looks but soooo worth the time to learn. good luck google search women of water !
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

p.s its a really good work out lol youll be dying after a couple hours!
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #6  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Oh I'm definitely going to go for it! Unfortunately I have to wait because right now I live in Arizona *sigh*. But I will be locating to San Diego in a little over a year and I'm assuming I'll be at my goal by then (I better be!) so since those two things will coincide nicely I'm making surfing lessons my ultimate reward for reaching my ultimate goal!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
I will tell ya though there is nothing as humbling as looking for a wet suit to fit into. For my weight, wet suit makers think I should be about 6'4". What's up with that? Overweight people aren't supposed to go in the ocean???
jo
I hear ya! I have spent much time trying to find a wetsuit (all the water is pretty cool around here & I have this bizarre,stupid, ridiculous "allergy" to the cold which makes me break out in hives everytime my skin gets cold).

I am moving to Costa Rica soon though - the water is warm there - no need for a wetsuit! Can't wait to learn to surf.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #8