Does it Work? - Eat-Stop-Eat (intermittent fasting)

47yo
08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Okay - I kept hoping to see something about this "Ebook". It's by Brad Pilon, who says he graduated from University (I don't think he says which one) with honors after having studied nutrition and metabolism. In this Ebook, he says that almost everything we hear about dieting, such as "eat multiple small meals a day” and eat “high protein foods every 2-3 hours" is nonsense. His book basically says that if you want to lose weight, one of the best ways of doing it is to fast 2 days per week. He says that fasting for short periods (24 hours to 72 hours) does not decrease your metabolism; in fact, he says that food has little effect on metabolism one way or another and that it is actually HEALTHY to fast (for short periods).

Any thoughts on this?

Optical Goddess
08-21-2007, 11:55 PM
When fasting, do you not eat anything..at all? I ask because if I go too long with out eating I feel very sick and light headed and my blood sugar gets out of whack..

47yo
08-22-2007, 12:10 AM
No - apparently you aren't supposed to consume any calories at all during the fasting period. However - he says that the fast should last 24 hours - so if you start it after dinner you have 24 hours and then eat dinner again, so you are eating every day.

He does cite research on fasting - and dieting. He claims that there are actually health benefits from fasting. It's just so hard to know what the truth is!

laurie2275
08-23-2007, 01:04 PM
I have heard of this. A not so drastic approach is calorie cycling. If your median calorie intake is 1000 cals per day. Somedays do 1000, some days 500 and sometimes 1500. I believe that wrestlers do this to lose weight. Fools the metabolism and there is no storage of fat.

Sneeks
02-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I'd love to hear more about this if anyone has anything to add. Or even any personal experiences?

Fressca
02-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure if it's ok to post this, but here goes: take a look at lowcarb.ca and search "intermittent fasting". Lots of info there. Also, Google "Fast-5, Bert Herring" for a free ebook on the subject.

I think it's a good idea, if only because back in the day, when I was thin, this was how I ate naturally.

carolr3639
02-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I think that website was very interesting. Thanks.

sneddo
01-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Sorry to bring this old post back, but I have tried the diet and found it works very well, also in regard to your concerns about feeling hungry I didnt have this problem.

After using this deit myself I would reccomend it to anyone.

Hope that helps some one out.

Cheers,

David

katiejames
01-01-2009, 05:54 PM
i have also tried this diet.. and in all honesty.. it works.. but the down side is that as with any "fasting" your body does go into starvation mode plus this can trigger things like diabetes and other health problems... it is said that once your body hits the 48 hour mark without food it will actually burn real fat. i am unsure if it actually does that. i dont recommend starving yourself for days.. because it is just not healthy. there is no reason to deprive yourself of needed food. just eat in moderation and stick to small several meals that have low fat/no fat. you can even avoid carbs to get rid of tummy bulge... but fasting is not the answer to long term weight loss.. the weight will come back once you start eating again.

Amarantha2
01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I do calorie cycling just naturally, that's how I lost the majority of my weight, but fasting with no food at all would be very harmful for me because my blood sugar would drop too low.

It's really dangerous for people who aren't possibly aware they have diabetes or blood sugar problems or any other hidden health problem to attempt to "fast" without food for any real length of time (not talking about a few hours, but 24 hours is way too much).

It's really irresponsible, in my opinion, for some of these people who are selling books to propose things like this to people unless they add the proviso that everyone who tries it should see their personal physician for medical clearance first.

I agree with the previous poster, there is no need for deprivation from needed food to achieve lasting weight loss, in fact, that will backfire every time.

Fine to cut back a little more now and then for short periods.

willow650
01-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Im not sure about this but anytime I have fasted, it has been when in prayer about a specific thing. There are a lot of books on fasting but most from a biblical stand point. There are all kinds of fasts, like a Daniel Fast is fruits and veggies and there are others.

jerzeezfinest
01-01-2009, 11:59 PM
That sort of sounds like the JUDDD program... I think it's dangerous and irresponsible, and if nothing else fosters disordered eating habits.

Gypsydancer
01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I tried IF for about 3 weeks. I fasted for about 18 hours a day, and ate during a 6 hour window. I ate what I wanted during the 6 hour window. I did not lose any weight, but I maintained my weight over Thanksgiving. My observations:
1-if you're only eating for a few hours a day, it's very hard to eat sufficient fruits and veggies.
2-I felt absolutely wonderful during the fasting hours. I did not expect that.
3-It really helped me become less obsessed with food. I know that seems counter-intuitive, but it was definitely true for me (even with my history of disordered eating).
4-It helped me become comfortable with the sensation of being hungry. For so many years, I'd read advice that said if you let yourself get too hungry, you'll binge. That wasn't what I discovered. Hunger is normal and a good thing. When you eat after being hungry, food is very enjoyable!

I quit because I found it hard to exercise in the morning when I was fasting, because I found it hard to eat enough fruits and veggies, and, of course, because I didn't lose weight. But I'm really glad I tried it.

jessisaokay
01-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Never did a fast, and my opinion is that unless it is for religious purposes, there isnt any need. I would think that after going 24 hours with no food you have a significant risk of binging the next time you go to eat.
I'm all for calorie cycling, I still do that. although no one should do a 500/1000 calorie cycle. That's not enough food no matter what the calories are coming from.

Sarah Mac
01-04-2009, 06:16 PM
For religious purposes, I fast for 30 days each year or more. At first it is difficult to rise before daylight and eat the proper things like eggs, yogurt, water, protein, bread etc, but after one week I am just fine. Of course, you will be thirsty and start to become hungry around 4 pm, but we are suppose to focus on God and try to remember the unfortunate people in this world, who are suffering from far worse.

I wouldn't recommend it full force because it will be a huge stress to your body. The children usually do a half fast. If you are on medications, I would not do it.

In the end of my fast, I feel absolutely great. My body feels cleansed and my belly is usually really flat lol. You would actually be surprised that when you break your fast you do not really eat that much, at least I don't. I usually go for my jug of water :)

Amarantha2
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for sharing regarding your spiritual fasting practice, Sarah Mac. I found that interesting and appreciate the information.

On another topic, I see from your stats that you are doing absolutely fabulous on your weight loss journey. Congratulations on the pounds down! Have a good week!

Sarah Mac
01-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks for sharing regarding your spiritual fasting practice, Sarah Mac. I found that interesting and appreciate the information.

On another topic, I see from your stats that you are doing absolutely fabulous on your weight loss journey. Congratulations on the pounds down! Have a good week!

Aww thank you :) It is slowly melting off. I have tried to quick way of losing weight and I find that losing weight is more beneficial for me. I hope you have a fabulous week yourself!!

LandonsBaby
01-16-2009, 01:37 AM
There is a very very big difference in fasting for Spiritual reasons and starving yourself to get thin. Real big. This diet sounds dangerous and I would agree that it encourages disordered eating behavior.

Rockrz
01-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I have tried to quick way of losing weight and I find that losing weight is more beneficial for me
ah...huh??? :?:

Yes, I prefer losing weight to losing weight myself...

beerab
01-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I remember I once met this girl- she lost like 40 lbs in one month. I was like wow that's insane- but I ended up finding out she was not eating at all.

She would drink water all day- that was it- and then some days she'd change it up with V8 and take some vitamins. I was like OMG that's so unhealthy!

Course she was an adult and there was nothing that could be said or done- apparently she did this for one month and lost 40 lbs then ate one day, the next month she lost 20 more pounds and I guess she just did this for two months to lose all the weight.

I wonder if now, years later, she's kept it off lol.

Rockrz
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
You should be just fine doing that on a temporary basis as long as
you are getting plenty of liquid norishment and plenty of extra sleep.

Gypsydancer
02-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Just to clarify--with intermittent fasting like Eat Stop Eat, you are not starving yourself. You are limiting your eating to a window of time everday (usually 4-6 hours). You don't go more than 24 hours without eating.

tulsa28
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Iv'e been doing intermittent fasting since last Aug., the lean gains approach. Although I fast for 20 hrs. & eat for 4. I take the weekends off and eat whatever I want whenever. I LOVE IT! I can't say a bad thing about it. Lots of energy during the fast with more mental clarity, lost 10# fairly easy and maintained since then(even over the holidays). No more restriction which led to binges/cravings along with the added stress of fixing 6 clean meals a day and worry when to eat next and lugging it around. Macros, calories, fat grams, no more. I haven't counted calories the whole time.Social get togethers are finally enjoyable, I can eat whatever I want, even 1-2 glasses of wine every night.No worrying about my food being "clean". I lift heavy 3 times a week (35min.) and thats it, no cardio. Going to throw in a couple days a week of sprints when it warms up. I have been dieting for the last 5 years and I finally found what works for me. It eradicated any disordered eating I was going through before this way of eating. Oh, and I never get hungry during the fast. IF also regulates blood sugar . I have never felt this good. You can learn abouth the approach I use at leangains.com

kaplods
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I've tried many variations of fasting in my more than three decades plus on the weight loss/gain rollercoaster, and for me, in the long run, they contributed far more to weight gain, than weight loss.

saef
03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
A friend who's into fasting really recommends it, but I have blood sugar issues, with a history of Type II diabetes in my family, and I also had great difficulty with eating disorders about 12 years ago. I think I'm basically exactly the person who should **never** fast as a weight control method.

LandonsBaby
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm with kaplods. This sort of eating usually leads to me getting fatter.

tulsa28
03-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Landon, thats my hubby's name! Don't hear it much round here. Actually eating this way has totally led me away from yo-yo dieting and disordered eating. It's a god send for me. The abscence of blood sugar spikes during the day is very helpful.I don't even think about food till the end of the day, figure out what to eat for supper. I way more productive, no more food distraction. Just wondering if anyone from here is doing it or something similar. You don't need to comment on how bad it is for you, i have heard it all. nobody's going to change my mind. Results speak for themselves. Anyone else out there?

Amarantha2
03-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Limiting eating to, say, daytime hours or a certain window of time like 14-16 hours would seem to be the way people were meant to eat because that'd just eliminate the night hours, so if a "fast" was like, don't eat during the night hours, that just seems normal to me.

But except for spiritual reasons going too long without eating in a 24 hour period doesn't seem in my opinion to be necessary or a good thing unless, say, a person was ill with the flu or something where it could be helpful (I'd think) and it could really be harmful for people with low blood sugar problems, in my opinion, and for me that would make all my physical problems worse.

Having too low a blood sugar level as can happen with some diabetics, sometimes during the night, can cause death, so if fasting, it'd seem like a good idea to make sure with the doc that it's ok dokey to do it. :)

Not trying to change anyone's mind 'bout anything, just commenting.

I've tried to "fast" between three regular meals and for me not even that works. I personally work best with mini meals all day long and at night I remain ok until morning just naturally.

Everyone is different.

Sarah Carson
04-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone,

I was really glad to find this thread as I was browsing through coz this is the plan that worked for me!

I've been on Eat Stop Eat for about 6 1/2 months now, so I'd be happy to field people's questions about it :)

Just wanted to say that with regards to the fasting, you are not in danger from starvation mode as this only kicks in after 72hrs without food, and on the plan you go 24hrs without, twice a week. I actually enjoy the fasting now! :dizzy:

Let me know if you have any questions

Sarah x

47yo
04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi, Sarah! I'm glad to hear that it worked for you - but I do have a question: What did you eat during your non fasting times? I mean, did you still count calories or did you eat whatever you wanted?

getfit2009
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I just bought Eat Stop Eat and my initial impression is that it's content that I can trust.

A chapter with references to around 50 different scientific studies on the effects that short term fasting have on our body gives me the impression that Brad Pilon knows what he's talking about and that Eat Stop Eat isn't just another diet program based on "unknown secrets"

I'm very close to actually starting to follow it myself.

Last week I started weight training and I want to determine how much weight training alone will influence my weight before I add Eat Stop Eat to my way of living.

Will post back once I get started

Sarah Carson
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi, good question : )

On my non-fasting days I do still watch what I eat yes, but I don't count calories any more. I think the main appeal of this plan to me was that I wouldn't have to do that anymore (even though it took some getting used to at first!)

In general, I will have a light breakfast of cereal and juice, a packed lunch at work of pasta salad and fruit, and then whatever I want for dinner. I still have bigger portions than I probably should and I'm guilty of being a chocaholic, but the fasting days take off a ton of calories from my weekly count so it all balances out :)

I do weight training as part of it too, so some get burned off.

Hope this helped!

Sarah x

47yo
04-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks, Sarah - it did help. I'm starting again - I'm weight training also, and I just finished my first 24 hour fast!

Sarah Carson
04-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Glad I could help :)

How did you find your first fast? I found my first one pretty hard, mainly coz I had so much spare time and my thoughts immediately go to food when i'm bored! It gets really easy though

I noticed you've started off at a similar weight to me and are aiming at a similar goal, so I'm sure you can do it on this plan.

Sarah x

47yo
04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Ha! Yes, the first fast was a little hard - it was fine for the first 20 hours or so, because I don't ususally eat a lot during the day anyway, but I did think about food a lot during the last few hours because I didn't have a lot I had to do. But I think that this might be a lot better than counting calories, which is SO time consuming. I did notice your stats were similar to mine - thanks for the encouragement and congratulations on your weight loss! - Pam

Sarah Carson
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi, sorry for the late response!

I think boredom is a dieter's worst enemy lol, have you managed to find more stuff to do on your fasting days now? It's amazing how much you can get done in one day when you don't eat isn't it?! :) Definitely better than counting calories.

Thanks for the congratulations, and keep going!

Sarah x

twinkletoes23
04-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I have also read up on this diet. As someone who studied nutrition, I dont consider this diet "dangerous" if followed as prescribed. Yes you go 24 hours without eating but that wont slow your metabolism or deprive you of nutrients if you choose healthy meals when you do eat. Also, fasting does not cause diabetes. However, I would not recommend using it if you are diabetic without first consulting your physician. I had done a bit of research when I had originally tried this diet but I did not see any evidence that this type of short term fasting leads to any other health conditions. The author seems to cite animal studies to support his diet but data from animal studies cannot always be applied to humans so I really dont know how effective this diet will be. I imagine the results will compared to other low calorie or calorie cycling diets.

Personally, I have to eat every few hours otherwise it can trigger severe migraines. My choice to eat small frequent meals though is based on my migraines and not weight loss. I find that so many people state that eating 6 meals a day versus 3 is the optimal meat plan to burn fat but really the supporting evidence is limited. Anyway, if you find that you feel fine during fasting days and that it does not negatively impact your daily living then I dont consider this diet much different from other low cal diets. I guess you have to decide if you can fit this into your lifestyle.

Su-Bee
04-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Eat Stop Eat makes a lot of intuitive sense to me. I am a little scared to try it for weight loss, esp. since I am at that "last few pounds" stage where every calorie seems to matter so very much. However, I'm seriously considering using it for maintenance. I feel like it would work well with my lifestyle & allow me to feel a bit more relaxed with food & things than if I were to simply continue with strict calorie counting in maintenance.

Sarah Carson
04-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi Su-Bee,

Congrats on being on your last few pounds! I would be interested to know how you got to where you are now?

It's always scary considering trying a new weight loss plan so I would say try reading as much info as you can about this - through reviews and forums not just the EatStopEat website - if you're a bit cautious. Squidoo is always good for reviews, or just google search it.

It works really well for me anyway, just coz it's easy to maintain and fit in to my lifestyle. You will definitely not be worrying about calories anymore if you decide to take the plunge as well :)

Sarah x

Su-Bee
04-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Sarah -

I've lost my weight so far through daily exercise & religious calorie counting. I am willing to see this through to goal, but want to find a way to get away from the calorie counting aspect in maintenance, as I find that it causes me to be more obsessive in my thinking & behaviour towards food than I think is healthy. I like the concept of intuitive eating, but don't trust that it would work as a maintenance plan for me. Intermittent fasting, though, seems really do-able - I think I could easily find two days a week that would fit into my lifestyle as the fasting days, and the idea of being able to eat whatever I want (obviously, not binging all the time, but within reason) on the other days really appeals to me.

getfit2009
04-11-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm starting a 4 week Eat Stop Eat experiment today which will be somewhere between 4 and 8 fasting periods depending on how things turn out.

If all goes well, then I'll do all 8 fasting days, but if I'm generally not feeling well when fasting or if it's interfering with my weight training then I'll stick with just 1 fasting day per week.

I think I'll start a new thread to post my observations and experiences with Eat Stop Eat to keep it all in one place.

Sarah Carson
04-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Wow Su-Bee, well done for losing so much with calorie counting! You must have much more willpower than me - I could only ever lose a few lbs then plateau :( I should say that I've lost a lot with this, but I still don't eat exactly what I want all the time. I don't calorie count, but my diet is probably a lot healthier than the average joe's just from watching what I eat nearly my whole adult life.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the plan getfit2009 :)

Sarah x

Su-Bee
04-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, my diet even at a heavier weight was always healthier than the average Joe's - I've always eaten mainly whole foods, lots of fruits & veggies, very little "junk" food or empty calories. The problem was more that I ate them in large portions. :) So when I say "whatever I want" - I kind of mean not having to measure out portions, going out to eat sometimes, not stressing about what's on the menu at potlucks or holidays, not worrying about a couple of glasses of wine some evenings, that kind of thing.

GetFit 2009, I look forward to hearing about your experiences! :)

JulieJ08
04-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm starting a 4 week Eat Stop Eat experiment today which will be somewhere between 4 and 8 fasting periods depending on how things turn out.

If all goes well, then I'll do all 8 fasting days, but if I'm generally not feeling well when fasting or if it's interfering with my weight training then I'll stick with just 1 fasting day per week.

I think I'll start a new thread to post my observations and experiences with Eat Stop Eat to keep it all in one place.

I'll be interested to see how it works with your workouts.

getfit2009
04-12-2009, 05:19 AM
I set up a blog here at 3FC yesterday where I'll be journaling my Eat Stop Eat experiment.

I haven't made enough forum posts yet to be able to include a link to the blog, but the username part is "getfit2009" and the name of the blog is "Dropping 30 kilo and getting fit in 2009"

Su-Bee
04-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Well, I did two 24-hour fasts this week, just to see how it felt. I did it the Eat-Stop-Eat way, so I was eating each day. On the fast days, my calories were within my normal range, just compressed into a smaller time period rather than spread across the days. On the non-fast days, I found myself RAVENOUS, & my calories were actually a bit higher than what I consider my normal weight-loss range. Weight-wise, it was a successful week as I got rid of all the increase I'd seen over the Easter long weekend.

Obviously I can't say anything definitive from one week's experience - but if all weeks using IF are like this one, then it would seem that IF might allow me to continue weight loss at a higher weekly caloric range than I've been using for my loss so far.

Sarah Carson
04-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Congratulations on your first fasting week Su-Bee!

Glad to hear you lost your Easter weight, as I am working on losing a pound of pure chocolate weight at the moment lol :)

Keep us posted on your experiences with ESE

Sarah x

Su-Bee
04-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks, Sarah, I will!

Right now I am adding in the ESE on top of calorie counting, as I am just so scared of derailing myself from losing these last few pounds. But my goal is to wean myself away from the calorie counting in maintenance.

I found the fasting days a bit challenging, but not horrible. I was able to continue my normal exercise. I definitely see the value in trying to schedule the fasting days for days when you plan to be really busy - it is a LOT easier if you are distracted!

Sarah Carson
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi Su-Bee :)

You may be interested to know that I managed to drop my weight from easter and now I'm just 7lbs away from my goal weight - yay!

I love Brad Pilon lol

Adding in the program on top of your existing diet regime sounds like a good idea to me - you'd be really put off if you gained in your first week on a new diet.

I'm on my fasting day today and I haven't planned as much as normal to see how I get on, and it is so much harder! I will stick to scheduling a lot of work for these days like you said :)

teacode
04-21-2009, 04:21 AM
i just did my first fast today. i felt pretty weak especially towards the end, but i had also spent the morning swimming in the sun, so that's going to take some energy away! one thing i noticed right off the bat was when i stopped my fast at 11pm, i only craved a bowl of cheerios with bananas -- and halfway into the bowl, i was full. i was pretty surprised, but happy.

i think i'm going to keep trying this, though. i refuse to calorie count, but i do pay attention to what i eat. i'm not sure if i want to use ESE for long term or until i reach my goal weight.

i;d love to hear more experiences of people on it, though. like -- did you only drink water on your fast, or did you want to include black coffee, tea? did you notice weight loss within a week that WASN'T water loss?

peccavi
04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
I have about 4 hours to go on my first fast. I feel a lot better today than I did when I went to bed last night at around 2 AM. I'm always one of those people that feels the need to eat ever 3 hours or so, so this is really hard for me, but it's giving me a nice sense of control. I've only been drinking water.

leafgirl
04-21-2009, 03:35 PM
I have been trying the Fast-5 method of IF. I have a question for those of you who have been doing IF. Do you have to eat lo-carb in order to see weight loss? And do you worry about not eating enough in your eating window? The other day I broke my fast at 5p with a small snack of baby carrots and then ate dinner. That was all I was hungry for. I am just worried that if I don't eat enough my metabolism will stall.... and even though I don't eat a ton of carbs, I do like my occasional pasta or rice dish. Would that just sabatoge any positive effect from the fast?

Sarah Carson
04-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Hi teacode!

On my fasting days, I just drink water, but I can't see tea or coffee being too negative, as long as they're not full of sugar of course :)

I would watch out for caffeine crash as well - you may feel like you have more energy to expend than you do, and could be left feeling exhausted after it's worn off...

I think I noticed weight loss within two weeks, but everyone's different so don't worry if it takes a bit longer than that to notice any real results.

Hey Leafgirl :)

I LOVE carbs (god I hated Atkins so much lol), so no, you don't have to cut them out, or reduce your carb intake to lose weight. On non-fasting days, I just eat normally - 3 healthy meals, with healthy snacks inbetween if I need them. I'm sure you won't be sabotaging your weight loss if you eat rice or pasta - I do it all the time.

You don't have to worry about your metabolism slowing unless you fast for more than 72 hours in a row, otherwise IF can actually help to speed it up :)

leafgirl
04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Sarah-
Thanks for the reply. You seem to have had phenomenal success with IF. How long have you been doing it and what kind of results did you experience (i.e. 1 lb a week). I just wonder if your weight loss can be attributed to IF or did you start with something else to lose your weight and then switched to IF?

Sarah Carson
04-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi again Leafgirl :)

When I started out losing weight I tried lots of things like low carb, calorie counting, diet pills - all the usual suspects lol. I saw some success with these, but always plateaued then gained again, so my starting weight of 180lbs was actually what I started with when I decided to try IF.

The 45lbs has come off in around 7 months, and that has been fairly steady weight loss - about 1 to 2lbs each week. I certainly attribute my success to Eat Stop Eat, it's not just IF though - it's weight training too, so I can't put it all down to IF alone.

Hope that helps you out!

Sarah x

leafgirl
04-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Sarah and others on IF, help me from freaking out. Have been doing the Fast-5 for 6 days now and I am weighing 2 lbs more than when I started!! I am not eating copious amounts of food...and I am eating healthy. What is going on? I am not happy about this!! I need experience and someone to tell me this is normal and to talk me off the ledge.

Sarah Carson
04-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Hi Leafgirl,

Don't worry! :) Did you weigh yourself at the same time as you normally do each day? Or do you just step on the scales whenever? During the day your weight can fluctuate by around 2lbs on average, sometimes more, so it's important to weigh yourself at a similar time each day to get accurate results.

Could it be possible that you weighed yourself in the evening after your dinner? I have freaked myself out a few times weighing a little while after eating and drinking, without using the bathroom yet lol It's surprising how much your weight can change before your body has had chance to digest everything properly, even if you haven't eaten that much!

I am not familiar with Fast 5, how often do you fast? What else is involved? This might help me get to grips with exactly what you're doing.

In the meantime, I can definitely say that this is completely normal. It could easily be bad timing, and 2lbs is not the end of the world. :) In terms of timing, hormone cycles can also affect things like water retention, which, in turn, affect weight.

I hope this helps you off the ledge anyway, I'm sure you're doing everything right, so just stay on track and see what happens. Remember to let me know too! :D

Sarah x

teacode
04-27-2009, 01:21 AM
thanks for the reply sarah!

i've done two fasts in one week now. the biggest thing i've noticed is that my appetite on non-fasting days has completely decreased. the only bad thing is that two days after fast #1, i was already back up to my normal weight. now three days after fast #2, i'm down about two pounds.

i have a thesis paper (30-60 pages) due at the end of the week and tend to eat a lot when working, so i'm hoping i don't this time. not sure if i want to fast though either, since i do feel a little more weak when i am fasting. fast #2 was better than fast #1, so i'm hoping it gets better!

Sarah Carson
04-27-2009, 07:06 AM
No problem teacode,

I can't believe how quickly you've noticed your appetite decreasing - it took weeks for me to stop feeling liking gorging myself when I had the chance lol Go you! :) 2lbs is awesome as well, you're weight can fluctuate between fasts I've noticed, but at the end of the week there's that steady weight loss to keep you motivated.

To stop myself eating while I'm working, I will usually have a glass of water to sip each time I want something, or even a fruit smoothie that's more filling. Sometimes I will make myself a healthy pasta salad in the morning with lots of tuna (brain food) and peppers in it, so if I really need to eat, I can pick away at that without feeling guilty.

Fasting does get better over time, but if you start feeling weak, maybe do a shorter fast - have a light breakfast first thing or something, and fast the rest of the day. I've never felt weak on a fast before, so keep track of it and don't push yourself too hard. Maybe when you're a bit more used to it you will start to feel more refreshed and energised from the fasting, you will have to let us all know :)

Motorama
05-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi all,
I'm glad to have found a forum to discuss Eat Stop Eat.
I'm on the plan and doing great.

But lately I'm losing too much muscle tone and others have noticed as well. So I guess that I can't skip (as I believed) the lifting weights part.

The problem is that I was lifting weights on my previous unsuccesful diets and I developed an intolerance to it. I was losing my mind with all the complexity of various scheme pyramids, upper body and lower body, different exercises to target different zones.

Can you please suggest me a straightfoward, simple and yet effective way to add weight lifting to my regimen in order to stop losing muscles?

Thank you!

CJZee
05-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I haven't tried this lately, but some years ago I had great success simply by skipping dinner 2x a week. So, I guess in effect I was "fasting" for about 20+ hours between lunch one day and breakfast the next.

Might try that again. Thanks for the ideas. CJ

beingaimee
05-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I am excited to see a thread about IF. I started IF this week. Well actually last week by accident but not consistently. I was working on final projects and studying for exams that I didn't find time to eat during the day and ate once I got home.

I have been trying the 6 meals per day plan and found it to be too time consuming. Also, I was always thinking about food. I would think, "I have only 20 minutes until my next meal. Man I'm starving." And this would go on all day!! I was always thinking about the next meal. Also the portions were small so it never left me satisfied. It is too soon to tell whether or not it will work for me, but it is working into my lifestyle quite well.

I go 16 hours fast/8 hours eating time.

Example of my schedule if anyone wants some details.
9pm - 1pm: Fasting
Water, Tea, and Coffee with splenda or stevia
Thermogenics

1pm: Break Fast
Salad or Sandwich

3pm: Snack
Almonds or PB & Crackers

5pm: Pre-Workout Shake

6pm: Work Out

7pm: Post-Workout Shake & Banana

8pm: Dinner
I eat whatever here, but nothing to extreme like a deep dish pizza. I find that I can go out to dinner with friends and not feel to restricted.

My caloric intake has not change with this plan. I love it so far and do not find myself to be as hungry as I was on the 6 meal plan. I do think that it depends on the individuals though. Just wanted to share.

JulieJ08
05-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I am excited to see a thread about IF. I started IF this week. Well actually last week by accident but not consistently. I was working on final projects and studying for exams that I didn't find time to eat during the day and ate once I got home.

I have been trying the 6 meals per day plan and found it to be too time consuming. Also, I was always thinking about food. I would think, "I have only 20 minutes until my next meal. Man I'm starving." And this would go on all day!! I was always thinking about the next meal. Also the portions were small so it never left me satisfied. It is too soon to tell whether or not it will work for me, but it is working into my lifestyle quite well.

I go 16 hours fast/8 hours eating time.

Example of my schedule if anyone wants some details.
9pm - 1pm: Fasting
Water, Tea, and Coffee with splenda or stevia
Thermogenics

1pm: Break Fast
Salad or Sandwich

3pm: Snack
Almonds or PB & Crackers

5pm: Pre-Workout Shake

6pm: Work Out

7pm: Post-Workout Shake & Banana

8pm: Dinner
I eat whatever here, but nothing to extreme like a deep dish pizza. I find that I can go out to dinner with friends and not feel to restricted.

My caloric intake has not change with this plan. I love it so far and do not find myself to be as hungry as I was on the 6 meal plan. I do think that it depends on the individuals though. Just wanted to share.

Isn't that essentially just the same thing as a typical breakfast skipper?

beingaimee
05-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Isn't that essentially just the same thing as a typical breakfast skipper?

You are right it is in a way essentially skipping breakfast. It is kinda of the faux paus because we were taught to never skip breakfast. In current nutrition standards it is drilled in our heads to eat 6 small meals a day. Now instead of eating all day I eat 2 big meals in between certain hours. In the fasting time whether you do 16 or 18 or 20 hours your body is burning the stored glycogen. I started it because eating 6 meals a day just did not work for me. I was eating at 7am than every 3 hours after wards but was still hungry in between those times. This one I don't get hungry even when it's time to break the fast. It's not a novel idea by any means. It works for me, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it will work for others.

JulieJ08
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
I do hear you on feeling like you're always thinking about food on the mini-meals type plan. I'm still balancing that out. I definitely do simple snacks rather than mini-meals, at least usually. The fasting idea is certainly interesting to me. But at present, I think maybe a once a week raw day is as close as I might get, or possibly a juice fast once in a while.

Motorama
05-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey guys, no info about weight lifting?
Brad Pilon says it is necessary for IF but I haven't been able to include it in my routine because all the info I have found out weight lifting routines and exercise were too complex and confusing or even looked dangerous for a newby who doesn't want to be a body builder.

Can you please help me?

beingaimee
05-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Brad Pilon says it is necessary for IF but I haven't been able to include it in my routine because all the info I have found out weight lifting routines and exercise were too complex and confusing or even looked dangerous for a newby who doesn't want to be a body builder.

Can you please help me?

You can always look through Oxygen Mag or Fitness Rx for Women for routines. They usually have great weight lifting routines there. I found one that I really like right now from one that I incorporated with my cardio. I am usually out of the gym within the hour.

My weekly routine
Saturday
3 miles on the trail
Plyometrics

Sunday
Rest Day or Low Impact Cardio - Walk for 30 minutes

Monday (3 sets 15 reps each exercise)
10 minute warm up - Elliptical
Barbell chest press
Cable Flys for chest
Standing should press with dumbbells
Front Lateral raises with dumbbells
20 - 25 minutes of cardio

Tuesday
Ab/Core workout
3 miles on treadmill

Wednesday (3 sets 15 reps each exercise)
Smith machine squats
Dumbbell lunges (15 reps each leg)
Lying hamstring curls
Deadlifts
20 minutes treadmill routine for glutes

Thursday (3 sets 15 reps each exercise)
Widegrip pulls
One arm ros with dummbbells (15 reps each arm)
Barbell bicep curls
Concentration bicep curls
20 - 25 minutes of cardio

Friday
Rest Day or Low Impact Cardio - Walk for 30 minutes

Sarah Carson
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi Motorama,

You're right about weight training being a necessary part of Eat Stop Eat, but it is difficult to work in to your routine without getting bored.

Personally, I invested in some small hand held weights and wrist and ankle weights to use at home, but if you prefer the gym, the instructors there could really help you come up with a personalised weight routine just for you. I hate gyms so I incorporate my weights with the Wii fit cardio exercises and I would recommend this to anyone.

As for specific exercises, it is a good idea to check out women's fitness mags for ideas, like beingaimee said. If you have any yoga experience, you can incorporate weights there to improve muscle definition and endurance too.

Hope this helps! I know it's not too specific :)

Bumbleberry
05-14-2009, 02:23 AM
Okay - I kept hoping to see something about this "Ebook". It's by Brad Pilon, who says he graduated from University (I don't think he says which one) with honors after having studied nutrition and metabolism. In this Ebook, he says that almost everything we hear about dieting, such as "eat multiple small meals a day” and eat “high protein foods every 2-3 hours" is nonsense. His book basically says that if you want to lose weight, one of the best ways of doing it is to fast 2 days per week. He says that fasting for short periods (24 hours to 72 hours) does not decrease your metabolism; in fact, he says that food has little effect on metabolism one way or another and that it is actually HEALTHY to fast (for short periods).

Any thoughts on this?

My stepmother fasts regularly (not to lose weight) for energy and cleansing her body. Our bodies were designed to be able to withstand famine, after all. I do not fast because I am still breastfeeding. However it is something I would like to try. Again, not for weight loss purposes. I don't want to tie that into any weight-results-oriented expectations. I'd prefer to wait until I am at or near goal, and use fasting as a traditional method to cleanse.

jamif7
05-19-2009, 11:01 AM

Can you please help me?

Hi there...what I have been doing that I LOVE is the Turbulence Training program from Craig Ballantyne who also works with Brad Pilon and recommends the ESE method. It is an interval based program that is always changing so it keeps you from getting bored as well as challenges your body in new ways also avoiding plateaus. Check it out!

Sarah Carson
06-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Hi everyone, just thought I would drop by and ask about your progress with ESE, how are you all finding it?

I am now only a couple of lbs off my goal weight and am very excited to start maintenance after years of weight loss.

I hope your all seeing similar success!

Sarah x

StephK
06-11-2009, 05:25 PM
I am thinking about ordering this e-book. Is there a support group on here that people are posting in? I hope to lose about 20 lbs. Have most of you had success that have tried it?

Sarah Carson
06-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Steph,

As far as I know this is the only thread specific to eat stop eat, but it's not been very active recently. Have a read through previous posts to see what people have had to say about it and you can of course pm me if you have questions and I'd be happy to help if I can :)

I've been on the program for around 7 months now and I've lost just over 50lbs, so I would recommend it, and I do consider it a good choice of program. Of course you should only try it if you think it would work with your lifestyle, as there are plenty of other diets around that could be right for you :D

Hope this helps!

47yo
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I know this thread has not been very active in a while, but I figure what the heck. Here is what I have found; yes, it can work, but when I do eat, I still have to watch it. So what I've been doing is having a heathy dinner every night and 2 or 3 days per week I do not eat until dinner the next day. On most of the remaining days, I try to keep my calories under 1500 or so. On the weekends, I go out to dinner and try to be kind of careful, but I don't obsess over it. It seems to be working - my downfall is that when I do "blow it" I have difficulties getting back on track. Oh - and I used to drink a lot more wine - I have cut WAAAAY back.

StephK
06-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks girls! I did order the book and read it on the plane this week (traveling for business). I am going to give it a try. I try counting calories also, so hopefully I will see some results. I am a big afternoon snacker, so I think that will be my only tough time, but we will see. Planning first fast for Friday.

Motorama
06-18-2009, 08:01 AM
I have two questions about this program

1) Does anyone were able to reduce hypoglycemic episodes (reactive hypoglycemia) with the diet? In other words did you improved energy and blood sugar swings?

2) Can you do the Eat-Stop-Eat program while reducing carbohydrates, if your body feels better on low carb? Anyone tried?

Thanks

StephK
06-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Ok, first day of fast! So far I feel great! Only 3 hours until dinner time. This is normally my big snack time, but I really haven't missed it...not sure why, but I am glad about that!

Motorama--I really can't answer any questions, as I just started and this is my first day of fasting. I have had problems with hypoglycemia in the past (in my skinny days), but not in recent years, so not sure about that, but I honestly do feel more energized today.

I hope to make some eat, stop, eat buddies!

StephK
06-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I am a little disappointed that I did not loose anything with the first fast, but I am not discouraged yet. I am doing fast #2 today. I really am amazed at how energized I feel on these days! I thought the fast would be hard, but really it isn't.

Bettyinmd
06-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi!
I would love to have some ESE buddies!

I've tried fasting before, but never made it permanent..I have a goal of getting under this pesky 200lb mark by my big 3-0 in August!!:cool:

I am healthy, in general..I train 3-4x/week with heavy weights to maintain muscle, and I do cardio on the other days..the training part, I love..I LOVE TO LIFT!! It's the nutrition side, that I believe has been holding me back..

What do I have to lose accept the fat?;)

leona
06-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Hello,
I have recently combined IF with a low carb diet and it really helped to break a recent stall. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Bettyinmd
07-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Thats awesome!
For right now I am just going to do two 24 hr fasts per week..maybe even bump up to three if progress stalls!:dizzy:

jendiet
07-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I do IF for weight loss too. I'm currently doing fast-5.

Bettyinmd
07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Jen- how has your progress with that been and when did you start?

eastbruce
07-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I did the Fast-5 for three weeks, found it tolerable and lost 5 pounds. Yesterday I began Eat Stop Eat and was unsure how I would react to 24 hours without food.

Well, it was not a problem - I had only water, hot tea and one diet soda. I did get hungry around the 20 hour mark - that's when I broke open the Diet Rite soda. I got busy with something on the computer at my 6PM eating time and ended up not eating until 7PM. I eat LC so had a big hamburger with several slices of real cheese, two tomatoes & real mayo. Also 1/2 a cucumber. I was quite full and felt fine.

It is convenient not to have to worry and plan all those meals! We'll see how this works for me. :crossed:

joyinSF
07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
hmm..ok i think im going to do this IF thingy. seriously, ive been working out EVERY DAY , watching what i eat, no sugar, no fat, low carbs, and under 1200 calories, and for 25 days, i went from 140-143-140-146...what the ****?!? so now, im going to try this...i do have energy, but geez. its so annoying...

abie
07-13-2009, 09:21 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say that I've been doing IF for about 3 weeks now. I'm using the Fast 5 method and have read the IF book. I've lost 11 lbs so far.

I started this coming off a 2 month binge of desperation. For that time period I would come to work with my meals all planned out. I would start with breakfast, eat an early lunch, be starving in the afternoon, cave and eat snacks, then go completly overboard at night. I did this cycle every day and it was making me crazy. Every morning I would start and fail.

My first fast day was kind of hard. I had 2 small cups of coffee, lots of water, and a couple classes herbal iced tea. I felt really hungry by dinner time. I broke my fast with a spinach, bananna smoothie, then a nice dinner, and then snacked on some fruit.

I went to bed that night for the first time in forever content and without guilt.

This program is working soooo well for me. I pay close attention to my fruit/vegetable/nutrient intake to make sure Im getting enough. It's so much easier to plan that out once a day instead of 3-6 every day. I'm not restricting calories but I do make sure I get enough.

On the weekends I eat multiple meals.

This weekend I cried tears of joy. For the first time in a really long time I see a way out. I have confidence again. I don't feel deprived. When I do eat, I'm hungry but clear headed enough to make good decisions instead of decisions coming from a ravenous place where I have the head of an addict.

I'm walking daily and doing strength training.

I'm really happy to have found this thread. I will continue to update on my progress.

joyinSF
07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
ok, so starting today, i am doing IF...
here are my stats
height: 5'2"
weight: 143 pounds

i plan on doing this for a couple of months and i will keep you all updated.

I still plan on exercising an hour a day in the morning. but on days that i do eat, i will work out an hour and a half ...we'll see how i feel ....

belezura
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I have one question: In those days I fast, can I chew sugarfree gun??? the ones I buy say it is less than 5 calories one piece...

jendiet
07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
oh sorry! Ok on fast 5 I have lost 11 lbs in 4 weeks. But the most amazing and wonderful thing is my appetite has decreased. I no longer feel like binging and I get so full so quickly. I actually have to force myself to eat more calories.

I do the fast 5. My window I feel most comfortable with is 2-7pm. Though my weight loss is not extravagant it is steady and it's definitely mostly fat coming off of me.

I do cardio and weight lifting as well.

Moonlight Mistress
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi. I'm very interested in trying this, but I'm still unsure how it works. From what I gather in this tread, you fast a few days a week for 24 hours only. My questions are:

1. How many days a week should you fast?
2. If you are counting calories, do you still try to reach your target calories for the week? For example, if you are supposed to eat 8,400 cals a week (1,200 per day), do you still eat that amount by eating more on your "eat days" or do you just eat 1,200 cals a day on the "eat days" and not worry about a weekly target?

Thanks!

Pilotswife79
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Just heard about this a few days ago and I am really interested in trying but my husband will not be happy with me getting yet another diet book. I'm thinking that this will actually work good for my lifestyle as I work part-time and Mondays and Wednesdays are super busy for me, taking a lunch is almost impossible.

People keep mentioning "Fast-5", is that part of the ESE or something different? Thanks!

joyinSF
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
hi moonlight mistress, for me, i actually lose weight faster than when i fast than when i just do the regular exercise and diet. (ive exercised for more than a month and a half with 2 pound weight loss) I am starting a fast right now, (today is my second day) and ive lost 2.5 pounds, and yes i know its water weight.

for IF, i believe you fast every other day (correct me if im wrong, guys). as for counting calories, i just go by what nutrition calculators say.

cath
10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Hello. I see that this thread has been inactive for a long time. I only recently learned about Intermittent Fasting, including Eat Stop Eat. Anyone still out there who is or has tried this? What's your situation now?

Jane Green
10-29-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi Cath,

I have found this forum by mistake whilst trying to research the eat stop eat diet.

Actually after reading this site I have deceided to give it a go, so I shall be updating this forum with my progress.:carrot:

lilith9
11-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Hello. I see that this thread has been inactive for a long time. I only recently learned about Intermittent Fasting, including Eat Stop Eat. Anyone still out there who is or has tried this? What's your situation now?

Hi cath and Jane,

Add me to the list of people who have just recently discovered IF. I've been reading/hearing a lot about it over the past few months, and I'm not sure what method is best for me, but I've narrowed it down to either Eat Stop Eat or Fast 5.

I actually own the Eat Stop Eat manual, so I know more about that than I do Fast 5, but from what little I know of Fast 5 it may actually work just as well for me, or better... perhaps I'll mix it up a bit?

In any event, I just completed my 5th fast, and the fasting itself has been easier than i expected. However.... I haven't lost a stinkin' pound, mostly because 2 of the 5 times I ended up breaking the fast by overeating. Since one of my fasting days was leading into Halloween, I continued the binge pretty much all weekend long. So, there's 2 fasting periods totally negated :rolleyes:

But, I'm going to press onward for awhile regardless, and my logic is this -- the first couple fasts were tough, but they're getting easier each time. So, perhaps as my body continues to get more accustomed to being in a fasted state, maybe it will also get easier to break the fast period without going hog wild. The gobs of leftover Halloween candy were my undoing this time, or else I'd have been fine, so even now I think *some* progress has been made (psychologically, I mean... this was the easiest fasting period yet).

I'll continue to post updates periodically, and I hope everyone else will, too!

Shrinking Girl
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Just a quick post here:

I first learned about ESE about a year ago and tried to implement it then. What I found is that sometimes I'd fast and feel absolutely fantastic and other times I'd fast and be so hungry I'd go down to the cafeteria during lunch and pig out. Not exactly the outcome I was hoping for.

I started calorie counting about 5 months ago and have learned to control my eating. I'm doing ESE right now due to the demands of the Holiday season mixed with far too many family meals in the future and also not wanting to feel as though I've missed out on my favorite holiday treats. So... what I can say is that ESE is much much much simpler now that I have my eating under control. Fasting days are easier... I no longer think about food all day long. I can also say my workouts are fantastic on ESE as well... I had the best run of my short-lived running career on Friday and that was after a day of fasting.

My sister has been using ESE for nearly 2 years now to at first lose weight and now maintain and it works like a charm for her.

I highly recommend purchasing the book, it answers a lot of questions and makes you a more knowledgeable faster and less prone to being unhealthy about it IMO.

lilith9
11-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Just a quick post here:

I first learned about ESE about a year ago and tried to implement it then. What I found is that sometimes I'd fast and feel absolutely fantastic and other times I'd fast and be so hungry I'd go down to the cafeteria during lunch and pig out. Not exactly the outcome I was hoping for.

I started calorie counting about 5 months ago and have learned to control my eating. I'm doing ESE right now due to the demands of the Holiday season mixed with far too many family meals in the future and also not wanting to feel as though I've missed out on my favorite holiday treats. So... what I can say is that ESE is much much much simpler now that I have my eating under control. Fasting days are easier... I no longer think about food all day long. I can also say my workouts are fantastic on ESE as well... I had the best run of my short-lived running career on Friday and that was after a day of fasting.

Thankyou so much for sharing, Shrinking Girl! I'm still in that phase where one fast will go perfectly and without a hitch, and the next time I end up overeating when it's all over and defeat the purpose.

Nice to know that what I'm experiencing is normal.

newbjones
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Just learn about ESE and I really want to try it. Anyone on it or had success?? Would really like your input or simply have a body.

lilith9
02-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Just learn about ESE and I really want to try it. Anyone on it or had success?? Would really like your input or simply have a body.

Hi Newbjones,

I do ESE on a consistent basis and I've had slow but steady weight loss. I'm not even really doing it specifically for weight loss, but to give my body a "break" from constantly digesting and processing food. It may not apply that much (or at all) to some people, but I am definitely one of those who do NOT do well on the 6 small meals a day routine. That style of eating has my body constantly producing insulin with no let up and in the long run, makes me hungrier and more tired. I feel better if I just give my body a break from all that. I am in the "Stop" phase anywhere from once to three times a week. Usually I average about 2 a week.

Overall, it's gotten MUCH easier for me, so don't be discouraged if you find it really difficult at first. There's no reason you can't start off with smaller periods and work up to 24 (some people go as long as 30, but any longer and you get diminished returns).

I still have times on occasion when I'm really hungry so I end up eating earlier; this is usually around the 18 hour mark. It's really not a huge deal if this happens; your body is still benefitting even if you don't make it a full 24 hours. Even eating earlier than that is not a big deal, just consider it a rehearsal :)

Good luck -- just be patient with yourself and it will become an easy and effective (and totally free!) way to cut back :)

ddc
02-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I've been following the Fast-5 way of eating and have lost 15 lbs since late Oct. My eating window is from noon-6pm. I'm really enjoying it and feel great ! It's the easiest "diet" that I've ever been on. It saves money on food bills and I don't feel the need to binge eat like I used to. Some people will scoff at it because we've been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, you know what? Eating breakfast was keeping me from losing weight. I'm reluctant to tell people about it, but I can say that it works for me :)

Here's a link to the totally free e-book if anyone's interested:
http://www.fast-5.com/Fast-5-ebook100.pdf

lilith9
02-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I've been following the Fast-5 way of eating and have lost 15 lbs since late Oct. My eating window is from noon-6pm. I'm really enjoying it and feel great ! It's the easiest "diet" that I've ever been on. It saves money on food bills and I don't feel the need to binge eat like I used to. Some people will scoff at it because we've been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, you know what? Eating breakfast was keeping me from losing weight. I'm reluctant to tell people about it, but I can say that it works for me :)

Here's a link to the totally free e-book if anyone's interested:
http://www.fast-5.com/Fast-5-ebook100.pdf

That is awesome, ddc! :carrot: I thought about mentioning Fast 5, but I figured my post was already too long.

I hear you about being reluctant to share your experience... I thought intermittent fasting sounded crazy when i first heard about it, but I kept reading the studies over a period of months, and between the studies and the anecdotal reports, I decided it was worth a try. And I do think more people are starting to come around to the idea that the "when" isn't as important as WHAT you eat, and how much.

There's also one other free IF book, that can be found here: http://www.theiflife.com/

You have to type in your email address and they send you a download link.

Brad Pilon's ESE e-book is not free, but anyone can practice it for free; you only need to buy the book if you're interested in the studies and the mechanisms by which positive effects occur, etc. And much of that can also be found in the Fast-5 and The IF Life e-books. I bought Brad's book and I don't regret it -- I like having all the info available, but it's totally not necessary to buy anything if you just want to start getting benefits.

Hope to hear more stories like yours, ddc :) Actually, I'd like to hear more, period -- those of you doing some form of IF, is it working? Not working? Making no difference at all?

newbjones
02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I found out about ESE after a 10-day Master Cleanse, also known as the Lemonade Diet. I lost 10 pounds in 10 days, witch is great. However I long can I be on the lemonade diet for?? Not long enough to lose 60-70 lbs!! Since I felt so great when I was fasting, I thought that fasting every other day could be the answer, and here it was "Eat Stop Eat" web site!! So to me ESE seems pretty easy to follow. Happy to see that some of you got positive results from doing it. I got a copy of Brad Pilon's book and got also got the If e-book too, gonna read them and start my ESE by Sunday or Monday. Was wondering, can I do 2 days fasting and 1 day eating?? The first 8 days on the fast were so beneficial to me, I was FULL of energy and it was not difficult at all, was not craving food or anything, I even prepared meals for my hubby!! So I really believe that fasting is good for you. I just want to make sure I build muscle while I follow any program now, so I've decided to do the "Insanity" program. Wish me luck!!

belezura
02-05-2010, 05:29 PM
What is the "Insanity" progrtam?

newbjones
02-05-2010, 05:44 PM
The "Insanity" program is a new workout program by Shaun T for Beach Body, is a 60 day program. I saw it on tv one night and let me tell you it looks AMAZING! I feel if I can do it for 2 months I have no choice but to lose weight!!

I'm a new so I can't post the link to Insanity, you"ll find it, just google it.

belezura; congrats on reaching your goal!

redreine
02-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I've just read this entire thread, and I'm definitely going to do this.

I'll be back in a week to discuss my results!

CJZee
02-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I follow several blogs which "like" intermittent fasting. The first is specifically for people who want to reverse or avoid heart disease. The second is a physician who eats "paleo". Thought these might help.

I rarely fast, but I have discovered if I "skip" the evening meal (which is a short fast 'til breakfast the next day) I lose way more weight than skipping breakfast and lunch. I'm rather torn by early fasting because I know we are in a "muscle wasting" state after fasting -- ie, our body is using our muscles for food. I am no expert, but I suspect it would be best to low-carb for awhile before fasting so our body is used to using lipids for fuel and maybe it will use fat instead of muscle tissue. Anyway, the following people know a lot more than me.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Fasting

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/17/6-intermittent-fasting-and-infrequent-meals-2-meals-a-day.html

owenscott
03-01-2010, 07:52 PM
The miss information about the ebook is amazing. For all of you posting about "starvation mode" and binge eating .... STOP just STOP .... buy the book, read it and read the studies he talks about. Read what he writes ... a lot of you are commenting about stuff he NEVER SAYS or recommends at all. Did you know that IF (intermittent fasting) allows you to drink water unlike some religious fastings do not. I bet the no water thing will give you the headaches and dizziness. No food .. certainly didn't make me dizzy ... did make me hungry tho ... of course it helps to tech you what real hunger is and how to recognize it. Not just its 6 o'clock lets eat hungry.

I have only completed fast #5 so far, that means i am no expert, but don't knock it until you at least know what your knocking. If you disagree with SOMETHING ACTUALLY in the book then by all means please say exactly what your issue is and lets talk about it. (it would help to say what page and/or what study you are talking about) ....To say stuff like "its not healthy" without even knowing whats in the book is really quite silly and quite disingenuous.

Heck just read the advertisement and see some of the stuff he recommends and stuff he doesn't. That in itself is enough to quell most of the uneducated posting on here.

owenscott
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I follow several blogs which "like" intermittent fasting. The first is specifically for people who want to reverse or avoid heart disease. The second is a physician who eats "paleo". Thought these might help.

I rarely fast, but I have discovered if I "skip" the evening meal (which is a short fast 'til breakfast the next day) I lose way more weight than skipping breakfast and lunch. I'm rather torn by early fasting because I know we are in a "muscle wasting" state after fasting -- ie, our body is using our muscles for food. I am no expert, but I suspect it would be best to low-carb for awhile before fasting so our body is used to using lipids for fuel and maybe it will use fat instead of muscle tissue. Anyway, the following people know a lot more than me.

EDIT just re-read this and i kinda sound like a jerk but that is not my intent.

Do you really think think our bodies are going to eat muscle first ?... the same muscle that we need to hunt with to get our next meal? If you believe in evolution (which i do not ... but a lot do) this would run counter productive to survival of the fittest. Those with no muscle and a lot of fat would be walking trying to hunt and not getting any food. End of the species right there.

Yes fasting for long periods of time, or even severe caloric deficits for long time, will cause muscle loss but short term fasting with strength training in studies shows NO MUSCLE loss and quite the opposite muscle gain. It is in the book.

I, also just like you, am thinking it might be good to go low carb after the fast just to help it out a bit before putting the sugar back in my body. Anyways if skipping the evening meal is working for you great ... prolly since it usually has the most calories that is the best to skip anyways.

corrinemead
04-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I was really glad to find this thread as I was browsing through coz this is the plan that worked for me!

I've been on Eat Stop Eat for about 6 1/2 months now, so I'd be happy to field people's questions about it :)

Just wanted to say that with regards to the fasting, you are not in danger from starvation mode as this only kicks in after 72hrs without food, and on the plan you go 24hrs without, twice a week. I actually enjoy the fasting now! :dizzy:

Let me know if you have any questions

Sarah x

Hi Sarah...I have been on a detoxing program for the last couple of days when I came across the eatstopeat diet plan. I am so excited to try this because I have been trying the 6 meals a day and everyone is right all you think about is food. I have about 150 lbs to lose. So I am so excited to start this program...Have you reached your goal weight yet? How are you doing? I enjoyed reading your experience on this. I have never sent an email before on 3 chicks sure hope you get this. Corrine

liz688
04-16-2010, 01:53 PM
I have heard of intermittent fasting. I would suggest getting a blood work-up before starting it, because of blood sugar problems. I tend to have low blood sugar (in the low 70s/upper 60s) so I start feeling the effects within a couple of hours of eating and would pass out if I went a full day. A person with normal blood sugar might be able to do it safely, but its best to check that you are definitely one of those people first.

thirteenblessings
04-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I have been following Fast 5 for almost 2 weeks not and overall I like it. I haven't seen much weight change (been losing and regaining the same 2 pounds) but I am noticing that I have more energy and am happier. The author of Fast 5, Dr. Herring, has stated in his book that it takes about 3 weeks of eating the IF way for your body to adjust and for the weight loss to begin. I will admit, some days I make really good choices but others I really overcompensate for not eating all day and make horrible choices (chips and candy over lean proteins and vegetables). I'm hoping that it's part of the adjustment period and the weight loss will begin to become more consistant soon.

Changed
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Following this thread... Starting Fast-5 tomorrow :carrot:

giselley
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM
EDIT just re-read this and i kinda sound like a jerk but that is not my intent.

Do you really think think our bodies are going to eat muscle first ?... the same muscle that we need to hunt with to get our next meal? If you believe in evolution (which i do not ... but a lot do) this would run counter productive to survival of the fittest. Those with no muscle and a lot of fat would be walking trying to hunt and not getting any food. End of the species right there.

I kind of think it would. Case in point: When you break an arm or leg, the bone re-construction is considered "priority." The body opts to save the internal organs before the limbs because survival of the fittest is also about sexual reproduction, and you can do that without arms, legs, or food. Once an adult has past his or her prime in the "natural world" they are sacrificial, a waste product. Your job as an "animal" is to reproduce, and that is about it. If you survive, good for you, then reproduce again. Survival of the fittest is not about life extension. If you have ever read Darwin, it is about mating and producing offspring in usually hostile environments in which physical evolution must take place. There is nothing about Darwin about living to a ripe old age. Nature does not care if we make it past 18 (or whenever sexual prime is). Nature does not understand college, degrees or anything else-- it understands mating and reproducing. 2 or three non-hunting paleo-nerds probably created the most children anyway. You know, showing the girls their air guitar technique, getting them high and then letting nature take its course.

Changed
11-01-2010, 01:22 PM
This thread is really, shockingly slow! I have been doing fast-5 for 6 weeks now and I have to say, even as a lifetime WW'er, I LOVE IT. I've never felt better. I don't feel like I'm dieting but I'm steadily losing weight as long as I am thoughtful about not TOTALLY binging during my window. At the weight I am right now, I'm having to be careful about how many calories I consume during my window since my cal req is so much lower than when I started. I'm reading and thinking about switching to EAT-STOP-EAT for a while till I get to goal to avoid that issue.

For anyone considering it, I'd try it. I don't feel shaky and crappy like I'd imagined and my work outs are longer and stronger. I feel sharper and in control. I can't imagine ever giving this up, even at goal. It's the absolute only "lifestyle diet" that could ever really become a lifestyle for me and I'm so thrilled about finding that.

Weight Watchers helped me lose the first 50 pounds and I'll always appreciate that but I really felt like I was dieting and felt constantly deprived. Fast-5 is free and it works!

ddc
11-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Yay!! Good for you.
I am getting back to Fast 5 after a bad summer of non-discriminatory eating (eating too much junk!!)
Hubby even tried it today for the first time. Maybe he can stick with it (fingers crossed).

Best wishes :)

PORKCHOP81
11-04-2010, 06:28 PM
hi everyone, i am new to this site and i stumbled upon this thread when searching about IF, which i learned about from the No S Diet forums. anyhoo, i wanna give this a shot in combination with no s diet and wathing my portions. i will try to keep everyone posted. glad for all of your success.

Changed- i have been on and off WW for years- its just never seemed to stick. but then neither did anythign else. so happy for you!

Violet73
11-07-2010, 10:57 PM
This thread is really, shockingly slow! I have been doing fast-5 for 6 weeks now and I have to say, even as a lifetime WW'er, I LOVE IT. I've never felt better. I don't feel like I'm dieting but I'm steadily losing weight as long as I am thoughtful about not TOTALLY binging during my window. At the weight I am right now, I'm having to be careful about how many calories I consume during my window since my cal req is so much lower than when I started. I'm reading and thinking about switching to EAT-STOP-EAT for a while till I get to goal to avoid that issue.

For anyone considering it, I'd try it. I don't feel shaky and crappy like I'd imagined and my work outs are longer and stronger. I feel sharper and in control. I can't imagine ever giving this up, even at goal. It's the absolute only "lifestyle diet" that could ever really become a lifestyle for me and I'm so thrilled about finding that.

Weight Watchers helped me lose the first 50 pounds and I'll always appreciate that but I really felt like I was dieting and felt constantly deprived. Fast-5 is free and it works!

This is awesome! I just read about this WOE today. I do low carb in a healthy way...almost paleo...and I think I could combine it with this. I sent you a PM before I read that you have been doing for 6 weeks? Have you lost weight during that time? From what I understand you won't lose for the first 3 weeks...did you find this to be true for you?

Changed
11-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Nope, I lost about 5 pounds the first week. I think it's just really important to be thoughtful about what you eat and how many calories you can cram into that window if you're not careful. He talks a lot about how people starting out tend to binge in the eating window and I didn't want to wait 3 weeks to see results. I've lost 13 pounds (136 to 123) in the last 6-7 weeks doing just this. That's a huge percentage and I couldn't be more thrilled with it.

Violet73
11-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Nope, I lost about 5 pounds the first week. I think it's just really important to be thoughtful about what you eat and how many calories you can cram into that window if you're not careful. He talks a lot about how people starting out tend to binge in the eating window and I didn't want to wait 3 weeks to see results. I've lost 13 pounds (136 to 123) in the last 6-7 weeks doing just this. That's a huge percentage and I couldn't be more thrilled with it.

wow that's awesome!

Aunt Sheshie
12-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Hello,
I have recently combined IF with a low carb diet and it really helped to break a recent stall. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

I have one question: In those days I fast, can I chew sugarfree gun??? the ones I buy say it is less than 5 calories one piece...

Howdy folks!.. I just discovered ESE yesterday & decided today was as good a day as any to start... so, I'm fasting today 'til suppertime, about 6:00, which will be 19.5 hours since my last snack before bed last night... I've been following the Ideal Protein protocol (very low carb) for about 6 months & have lost about 70 lbs., but I seem to have hit a plateau & thought ESE might bust me through that... I tried Fast-5 a few years ago, so I'm familiar with fasting... I was wondering about the sugarfree gum too, I use it on occasion now, so I think it will probably be okay with ESE... guess I'll find out!.. for now, I think Tuesday & Friday will be my fasting days, but I know I can adjust them if needed... for resistance training, I do kettlebells... started out with the 5 lb. a year ago & now I'm using a 25 lb... I like them soooo much better than dumbbells... cardio has been my old NordicTrack ski machine, but I'd like to start running eventually...

Okay, I guess I've rambled on long enough... I'm thrilled to have discovered this thread... I'll be back!..

hugs :hug:

P.S. I forgot to mention I also do yoga 5 times a week... great for relaxing & opening up my joints...

Aunt Sheshie
12-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Ahhh, my first day of fasting is done!.. broke the fast with a big veggie salad & some chicken meatballs... I wasn't anywhere near as ravenous as I thought I might be... in fact, I actually felt pretty stuffed, & it was the same amount of food I usually eat... did my stomach shrink?.. haha... even an hour later, I'm still feeling quite full, so I think I can conclude that the fast didn't affect my hunger... now I'll just have to see if it affects my waistline...

'Til next time... hugs :hug:

Aunt Sheshie
12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Yesterday was my second fasting day in this new adventure... it went by a lot easier than the first time... not as much habitually looking in the refrigerator or even thinking about food very much... I had a class yesterday evening at 6:30 & they always have snacks, so I thought that was how I'd break my fast, but just in case there wasn't anything healthy to eat, I had a protein shake right before I left the house... turned out that was a good idea, 'cause all they had were cookies, fruit, & cheese... the cheese was the only thing I could eat on my low-carb diet... when I got home, I had another protein shake & a salad... kinda late for me to eat, but it didn't hurt anything... I'll just have to plan better next Tuesday...

Haven't noticed any extra weight loss yet from following ESE, but then I just started it... I think the best thing so far is it's shown me that I'm not tied to the refrigerator & that I CAN show food who's boss!!!..

palmettogirl42
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I found this eatstopeat plan and didn't buy the book but from some reviews was able to follow the simple plan. The first time i did it was just before thanksgiving so I could eat kinda what i wanted for turkey day. It was hard the first fast. I didn't gain any wt. after thanksgiving eventhough I ate tons of carbs and cals and so I tried it again last week. With each fast it is much easier. I have no problem fasting now and I think this is about the easiest diet plan I've ever done. I've been doing P90X for many months. I did my first round and lost 10lbs and 4 inches from my waist but not alot of wt. loss. The 1st round actually took me 4 months b/c i skipped days here and there due to travel, etc. Anyway, I'm only 5'0 so I can only have 1200 cals per day to lose 1/2 lb per week. This is really depressing for me...lol. I always end up cheating at least one day and so I either stay flat or loose soooooo slowly it kills me. Finally, I'm seeing the scale move and I'm happy! Not counting that pre-thanksgiving fast, I've completed 3 fasts. After each fast, I loose 1 lb! I'm loving it! Here what I do to make it work even better: I work out in the last 2 hrs of my fasting period. This is b/c when I work out in the morning then I'm starving all day so I start my fast at 6pm and then I'm fine b/c I never eat after 7pm anyway so the next morning I have only water. At lunch I have black coffee(which seems like a treat after only water) and then water and maybe unsweet tea until I get off work @4pm. Then I come home and do a 45 - 55min. P90X tape. I find that I'm really sluggish in the first half of the workout but then get a burst of energy abou 1/2 thru and feel fantastic. I then wait at least 30 minutes or so depending on when I started and then have supper. It works perfect and I think it adds to the wt. loss. I find it's easier for me to do a cardio workout vs. wt.trainning on the fast days....not sure why, but this will be my plan from now own. Wt. trainning on non-fast days and cardio in the last 2 hrs on the fast days and of course I'll do more cardio during the week as well. I still keep my diet fairly low cal on non fast days but I don't stress if I want a hamburger one day. I'm loosing 2 lbs a week with this but lets see if it keeps going. So far, I'm extremely pleased and actually feel really good after fasting.

palmettogirl42
12-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Howdy folks!.. I just discovered ESE yesterday & decided today was as good a day as any to start... so, I'm fasting today 'til suppertime, about 6:00, which will be 19.5 hours since my last snack before bed last night... I've been following the Ideal Protein protocol (very low carb) for about 6 months & have lost about 70 lbs., but I seem to have hit a plateau & thought ESE might bust me through that... I tried Fast-5 a few years ago, so I'm familiar with fasting... I was wondering about the sugarfree gum too, I use it on occasion now, so I think it will probably be okay with ESE... guess I'll find out!.. for now, I think Tuesday & Friday will be my fasting days, but I know I can adjust them if needed... for resistance training, I do kettlebells... started out with the 5 lb. a year ago & now I'm using a 25 lb... I like them soooo much better than dumbbells... cardio has been my old NordicTrack ski machine, but I'd like to start running eventually...

Okay, I guess I've rambled on long enough... I'm thrilled to have discovered this thread... I'll be back!..

P.S. I forgot to mention I also do yoga 5 times a week... great for relaxing & opening up my joints...

Don't do sugerfree gum or diet soda durning fasting. This will make you hungry. Diet soda with nutrasweet and other artificial sweetners do spike glucose levels. It's like your body gets ready for sugar and then is disappointed and it signals your brain to eat more. Dr. Oz confirms this on a segment he did about dangers of artificial sweetners. There is a new one he recommended instead stevia but I would just stick with water. It's very cleaning and you will get use to it. Gum gets your digestive juices flowing and again makes you hungry. Water is best. Then later in the day add coffee or unsweet tea as a sub for lunch. Works for me!

Aunt Sheshie
12-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Don't do sugerfree gum or diet soda durning fasting. This will make you hungry. Diet soda with nutrasweet and other artificial sweetners do spike glucose levels. It's like your body gets ready for sugar and then is disappointed and it signals your brain to eat more. Dr. Oz confirms this on a segment he did about dangers of artificial sweetners. There is a new one he recommended instead stevia but I would just stick with water. It's very cleaning and you will get use to it. Gum gets your digestive juices flowing and again makes you hungry. Water is best. Then later in the day add coffee or unsweet tea as a sub for lunch. Works for me!

Thanks!.. So far on my fasting days, I haven't felt the need to chew gum, so I haven't messed up there yet!.. as for artificial sweetners, the only one I use is stevia... I mostly drink water, fasting or not, so not a problem there either... I do enjoy a cup of herbal tea in the evenings sometimes, but that's not even every day... guess I'm going about it the right way then... I didn't buy the book either, just picked up all my info from this thread & other research I've done online...

redreine
12-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I posted in this thread such a long time ago, I doubt I even went ahead and tried this!

I will be starting on Phentermine in a couple weeks, and I wonder if it would be ok to do ESE with the Phentermine, or should I wait until I'm no longer on it? (as it is a means for jumpstarting weight loss, not to be used for all of your weight loss)

Another question I have is about the weight training. Do you absolutely have to do weight training? I prefer to use my treadmill. Will this be counterproductive?

Any input would be great! Thanks!

Aunt Sheshie
12-30-2010, 10:59 AM
From what I've read, I believe you can do any other eating plan/diet along with ESE... sorry, I can't comment on the cardio instead of weight training... hopefully, somebody more in the know will stop by this thread... good luck & let us know how it goes...

I haven't been doing ESE over the holidays, but will start again tomorrow...

Blinded Grace
01-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey! I am new and just found this thread! And I am starting the fast-5 today because my new years resolution is to become more healthier. My mini goal is to lose 10 pounds...

Changed
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Don't do sugerfree gum or diet soda durning fasting. This will make you hungry.

I haven't found this to be true at all but I'm sure it's an individual thing. I have gum all the time and it doesn't make me hungry at all. The book says it's trial and error and for me, it's a great distraction for hunger or social eating situations.

Aunt Sheshie
01-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Just checking in... fasting today & hoping I'll do better than I did Tuesday... I made it through the day just fine, but that evening I wanted to eat everything in the house... I think it might've had something to do with my going grocery shopping that afternoon... so much food in the house, too many temptations... so I'm hoping for more self-control tonight...

Blinded Grace, best wishes as you do Fast-5... I tried that a few years ago & it worked well...

lovelyclare93
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi,
So I just came across the ESE plan and will be starting it tomorrow. It is great to see that there is actually a forum on it. This has really helped me decide to try it out and see how it works. I'll check back in a month to let you all know how it is working for me. I plan to fast twice a week and have one day out of the week where I will eat around 500 calories. Though seeing fasting as a religious thing, I will be trying to focus on God with my fasting and not just as a weight loss system. Best wishes to you all!

TessaJ
02-09-2011, 04:29 AM
I have been doing Eatstopeat since the end of Nov. I have had problems losing weight and this is the first time in years that I have shifted any weight. I have lost 5kg (11pound) since Nov, which altho isnt alot its come off in all the right places, with fat stomach first, with exercise I was losing it from everywhere I didnt need to lose it from first. So I suspect I am burning fat. I really havent been very good on my eating days, typical for me, I start off the day thinking I am going to have a really healthy day and I dont always. The difference being I dont have the same guilt. I have done it every second day and havent seen anything negative at all. Altho I do feel a bit sluggish on the noneating days.
I do seem to have kicked my sugar addiction which I never thought would happen.
Food overall just tastes better, and fresher.

aprilannm777
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM
How is this working out for you? Any weight loss yet this month. My aunt told me about it today, and I am giving it a shot I am going to start the plan tomorrow, along with jogging daily... Please let me know if you have seen any results. I am new at this so I don't know how to see my answers though. Thanks

rinku
02-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Hi,

I'm planning to start the Diet-5 for shedding the last 20 unwanted pounds from my frame. I have a question for all of you practicing the Diet-5, does the 5 hours window allow you to eat multiple times during those 5 hours or you can only eat once during those 5 hours.

I go for resistance training at 6 PM on alternate days and its important for me to eat little high carb food before the workouts, then the protein and then my proper meal after the work outs. Is this allowed during the 5 hours window or I can only have a single meal during the 5 hours window ?

Changed
02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
You may eat any time during the window and you are not limited to once. How you checked out the fast 5 ebook?

Kasey87
02-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Today was my first day trying out intermittent fasting. I’m going to try doing two 24-hour fasts every week, which I think is the eat, stop, eat version. I didn’t buy the book, don’t really see it as necessary, but if anyone out there has it and thinks it’s worthwhile, let me know.

I’ll say it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. But, Sunday is def not a good day for it. I think I’m going to switch to Monday and Thursday or something so I’ll be more distracted. It was okay though, I tried to stay moving around, doing chores and getting some fresh air so I wouldn’t be just lying around being a couch potato. I didn’t get any dizziness, I had a little bit of bad hunger pangs that came and went pretty fast, and I did have a steady, not too severe, headache the last 2 hours before I ate. I don’t think it helped that the last thing I ate last night was chocolate lol.

I broke the fast with a pretty healthy meal, romaine lettuce with salsa and chicken, some broccoli and wild rice, and a banana. I was stuffed after that! On my eat days, I’m going to be eating as clean and healthy as possible. I don’t see the point in gorging on junk when I just went through something not too easy or fun (although it’s supposed to get easier each time).

I feel like this will help me be more mindful of what I eat. I’m also looking forward to the mental clarity and ‘cleansing’ type effect I’ve read about people experiencing. We’ll see how it goes as I continue with it. It’s really not too difficult, certainly not a bad as eating 6 small meals a day as others have stated.

I’m going to talk to my doctor about it at my next check-up but that’s another 5 months or so. Can’t wait to see how my body responds to this! :)

julzg
03-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I too have researched ESE. The benefits sound great (HGH production, stabilizing any food obsessions, smaller eating window = less overall calories). I've tried it and it's a little tough at first, esp since I'm a competitive athlete and because of my busy work/training schedule my window has "opened" from the recommended 6-8 hrs to about 9... I'd love to hear how peeps worked this program... how big was your window? did you do any activity on full-day fasts? (I haven't tried one of those yet, do my training - I've trained fasted, but haven't been able to fast a full day yet) :carrot:

Kasey87
03-06-2011, 11:56 PM
I just finished my 4th fast today.. I really like it. I've lost a few pounds, and it's not hard to do. You're basically just skipping breakfast and lunch twice a week, aiming for 24 hrs between dinners. The author recommends weight training/strength training, which I want to start doing, but I haven't yet.. just walking about 15 miles a week.

I feel really good doing this.. I'm really low-maintenance and hate counting calories and measuring food, so this makes losing weight a lot easier. I've yet to see if I continue losing, but I'm excited to see what happens in the coming weeks and months.

Another point the author of ESE emphasizes is to not obsess over food and to enjoy it.

I like that's it really flexible too.

francesg
03-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon: he does state this is for healthy people looking to drop weight. He states that using resistance training (weight lifting) (isometrics, power bands, Classical Stretch, my suggestions) helps the muscles burn fat not muscle. And it does work, I've used it before but in a very sloppy manner...still, I loss inches. Now I'm using it as directed and fasting the entire 24 hours. I'm also changing my eating habits and passing on donuts 9 times out of 10. Remember, too, muscle weighs more than fat. Consider not weighing yourself but (maybe) once a week (at the most) AND go by measurements. The drop in inches is really encouraging. Drinks LOTS of water to keep your kidneys working well and flushing out impurities. Dehydration is a bad thing. I'm a Registered Nurse and have finally started using my own advise...with some help from my friends, like you!

francesg
03-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm so exciting for all of us!

Mishflynn
03-26-2011, 04:36 PM
im going to try this, if i do it on really busy days at work , i doubt i will even notice.Sounds good! Def worth a try
(as the main thing ive stopped is Eating in the Van while im driving)

njdx1205
03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I"m on my first day of fasting, it"s 10:30 and i feel pretty great. I no by 3:00 I" m going to be starving, so I will take some psyllium fiber capsules(8) to make my hunger go away , it also helps the absorption of toxins being released durning fasting.

youneverknow
04-07-2011, 04:36 PM
I have actually been enjoying my "modified Warrior Diet." Although it's not a diet. It's a way of life! I've read all the books you all have been discussing. They all have the same message; Fast, feel great, live... The difference between the diets is on the warrior diet I eat once a day around 8pm. I don't binge, I don't eat super unhealthy etc. The beauty of it is I don't worry about having to go out to eat or eating "unhealthy" the key to all of this is MODERATION!

I actually started this when I was in a mood of depression. It was easy for me to go days without eating. Which is not good for you after you hit the 72 hour mark your body goes into starvation mode. In all honesty my depressed mood made it much simpler for me to get a jump start.

Some days I mix it up. I may eat earlier or later than usual. It all depends on what my schedule is looking like. This way I can let my body never know the "plan." It's like building muscle. Never do the same thing over and over. Your body gets use to it! However, If one day I cut back and eat at 4.. Then I can't eat until after 4 on the next day. Once a week (if necessary) I reset my time.

I work out or try to work out 5 to 6 days a week (no less than 5). This includes 50 to 60 minutes of cardio. Then about 30 minutes of weight training. I am not going to weigh myself until about June. I have learned that your mind will play tricks and it's easy to get discouraged. I love the guessing game. I know it's working though. Just a month ago I was squeezing into my dress pants. About two weeks ago I went to put them on and they went on with no problem. It makes me more focused and makes my brain work harder to figure out how i'm doing.

I've been an avid studier of all the diets. This is sort of like my own lifestyle. I've been feeling great. It even helped me with my depression. Which it is completely unlike me to feel depressed. Since I always try to stay in control of my emotions. Master your mind, design your destiny!

If I do feel the need to eat something (which is rare) I stick with fresh. Fresh green beans, fresh carrots, fresh fruits, mushrooms, etc. You can eat a whole 10 oz bag of shredded carrots and it's only 105 calories! Which you never eat the whole bag anyway! Same goes for any of the other things. Remember the key here is Moderation.

Many people have talked about not losing weight etc. Remember the key to losing weight is Calories In, Calories Out! The big misconception is those who believe they can eat ANYTHING they want on the diet. It's far from the truth. I got so use to the healthy way of things. It's just a routine. When I finally do get a chance to go out to eat. It is the most amazing taste ever. Treat yourself as you would treat a child. Do good, reward yourself. Do bad, punish yourself.

Okay enough rambling on. As you can tell i'm into psychology hahaha. However, a few things to leave you with...

Self-motivation is the ONLY motivation that allows you to live.

Live like a warrior die like a King/Queen.

Floss
04-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Hi there, is anybody still around in this thread?

I started reading last night and throught about ESE, but after reading the rest (!) I think that fast5 would work perfectly for me. I quite naturally only consume tea and a piece of fruit until mid-afternoon anyway so the adjustment should be easy...can anyone tell me of their weight loss results? I would like to lose around 15 pounds in the next 6 weeks and then continue on.

Also, as the 5 hour window will be in the evening, is there any worries about eating carbs? As many plans say dont eat carbs after lunch etc.

I would live your thoughts and support, I will be eating healthy today and starting at 8.00 tonight. Wish me luck!

JohnP
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi there, is anybody still around in this thread?

This thread is not very active but there is a lot of activity on the intermittent fasting thread.

Goodluck. I'm sure you'll do great based on your normal eating pattens. Just keep it mind it all comes down to calories. Eat Stop Eat or other intermittent fasting protocols help make restricting calories easier but weight loss always comes back to calories in vs calories out.

luckyme0510
04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
What intermittent fasting thread? Could someone post a link, I've been looking for another thread and I can't find anything :( Really interested to hear other people's experiences with intermittent fasting....

Monique
05-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Hey all. I thought it would be a great idea to start a thread in the "support groups" section so that those doing IF have a place to come together and give and get support :)

Here's the link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/232273-its-time-if-intermittent-fasting-support-group.html#post3831920.

Thanks!

Monique

YoYoKimmy
05-13-2011, 02:27 AM
I did a 24 hour fast for the first time. I used water, sugarless chewing gum, prayer and devotional reading. It was pretty easy, up until he last few hours. I started to feel slightly physically weak. my main goal with this was to try a spiritual fast. Which was really cool actually. It was almost like I lost track of a whole day. I didn't watch TV or get online or talk on the phone. I just read, prayed and passed the time thinking. I think this is something I can do occasionally. I'm not sure if I could do the eat stop eat every other day. It seems like, from this experience, that it would be very hard on the body physically and mentally.

Esofia
05-22-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm probably another example of the exact sort of person who isn't suited to this. I know it's generally recommended for healthy people, but I've seen a few claims that it's good for treating illness as well. In my case, it certainly wasn't. I've got severe ME/CFIDS, and about ten years ago I was living alone, pretty ill, sleep disorders up the wazoo, and getting very little help from social services. As a result, I kept on missing meals because I was simply too ill to get out of bed and get some food, was eating at random times, and definitely was not getting enough to eat overall. The result was that my illness got worse and I actually put on weight. My GP said that this made sense, that my metabolism was in a mess, but unfortunately social services refuse to give enough help to people with this sort of illness, especially young people, and they won't believe that you're not getting enough food unless you are experiencing drastic weight loss.

I've been eating more and more regularly over the past few years. I now live with my partner and I get 6 hours' support a week, which isn't really enough but certainly helps a fair amount with cooking. Getting my sleep disorders solved helped a lot, and sticking to a good routine has also helped. Now that I've started restricting calories, I've found that I have to be very strict with keeping regular mealtimes, otherwise I start to conk out from low blood sugar. That said, I'm getting used to working through occasional mild hunger when I've already reached my calorie limit for the day, and it doesn't seem to be worsening the fatigue.

Mimi123
08-18-2011, 07:23 AM
This is probably the easiest 'diet' out there. You don't need to buy any special supplements etc. and it's surprising how you don't really feel hungry on a fast day :)

Aunt Sheshie
08-18-2011, 02:24 PM
This is probably the easiest 'diet' out there. You don't need to buy any special supplements etc. and it's surprising how you don't really feel hungry on a fast day :)

You got that right!.. I've experimented with other methods of intermittent fasting, & ESE beats them all to pieces, in my experience... not to say other ways aren't good for other folks, but when I try to fast part of every day & then open an eating window, I end up eating just as many calories as I would have if I hadn't fasted at all & had just spread my calories through the whole day... seems counterproductive to me... anyway, I've been fasting a couple of days a week lately & it works for me... reduces my weekly calories by quite a lot & that's what I'm after...

How long have you been doing ESE, Mimi123?.. :welcome: to the forum...

Mimi123
09-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Well I was doing it for a week, but I had a lot of distractions (exams and work) so it was quite difficult on the eating days to actually eat! I then had to switch to fast 5 as it was more convenient but I will be going back to ESE on Monday.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Rick Raymond
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
They sent me a copy of eat stop eat to review I am only 40 pages into it but its a good read so far. I set up a new section just for testing all the methods/diets out and ESE is going to be the first one. Since I have alot of experience with IF already it will be interesting to see how this one works out.

jlgrant
12-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Hi... I couldn't help but say that I love Eat. Stop. Eat. Since, I am new I can't post links yet, but if you google 'Not your average fitness tips', it is the first site listed. the author of this blogging site is amazing. He advocates highly for periodic fasting and discusses it quite a bit.

My diet actually comes from his website.

shr1nk1ngme
12-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I am not on eat stop eat, I am on JUDDD, which is similar in that it is a calorie cycling program which includes alternate days of near-fasting. I have to say that after a long time on very-low-calorie and low-carb, plus a plateau, JUDDD was a breath of fresh air. I have been able to increase my overall calories and carbs, add more physical activity to my life (since I am now actually eating enough to support exercise program), and I have started losing weight again. I am almost at goal and I am considering making a moderately low-carb JUDDD plan my permanent way of eating for maintenance. It has certainly reactivated my metabolism.

SophieSophieSophie
12-21-2011, 12:19 AM
I have tried it, and yeah it really works, however it's like with anything if you can stick to it it'll work. I find it hard to stick to everything !

Gabbah
01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Intermittent fasting is the single most important thing for me to maintain/achive the type of physique I want. I don't follow any specific protocol tho like Eat Stop Eat or Leangains or the Warrior Diet. I just fast for 16 to 20 hours per day, usually, and then I eat. Simple. :)

gamesmaster1
01-25-2012, 03:35 PM
IF really works! If you are an 'all or nothing' person like myself. If I eat, I have to 'eat alot'. If I stay away from food I'm not hungry anyway.

So by giving myself a set window to eat withiin I stop the nibbling at food all day - whether it be the left overs from the kids breakfast/making the packed lunches/dinner for the family at night - i was constantly eating and wondering why I couldnt loose weight!

IF works for me, thankfully I've finally found something that does and Im down 30lb, with 7 to go!

Italiannie
02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
From VikingNinja: "I lost about 50lbs in about 6 months doing this in high school, but the downside is you can NEVER stop. Once you do the weight will come back with a vengenance. Longest i ever fasted was 2 weeks, you feel sick for about 5 days, then your body converts to burning fat and muscle and you feel amazing, like a natural high. Once you decide to eat again you have to be very careful, at that point your body wants to get rid of anything you swallow if it isn't liquid. That's the extreme though, fasting one to two days a week is great, if you have the willpower...chances are you will binge and feel terrible about yourself, and gain more in the long run...that's why I quit doing it.
The idea is mostly to cleanse yourself because of all the garbage and chemicals in food nowadays which build up and clog your system."

Hi VikingNinja,
Most of us that do Intermittent Fasting do not fast for more than 24 hours at any given time and most do a 16-19 hour daily fast, so I think your experience was with long term fasting. They are completely different and have different goals. IF is definitely not for everyone, but until you've done it, don't assume what people's reaction to a short fast will be. I think you'll find that you may not be correct.

Italiannie
03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi Everyone! Our other Eat Stop Eat Thread was full, so I started a new one called Eat Stop Eat and Fast 5 2012. Hope you find it.
Great to see Intermittent Fasting growing.

wvuchick
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Its under the Diet Central section in General Diet Plans and Questions

Rockrz
03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
The key is to not totally fast... just quit eating solid food and start doing smoothies and add powdered food replacement such as Garden of Life which is organic cold pressed nutrition from actual food.

I'm currently doing rolling 7 day fasts and have lost 15 pounds so far. I also take alot of supplements to make sure I'm getting plenty of nutrition.

If you do get overly hungry, eat a couple of pieces of Ezekiel bread (it's just sprouts and grains and isn't really bread...has no flour) and a small glass of milk.

They be gonna call me "skinny benny" before long...don't worry, I won't be THAT skinny as I'm going to maintain a few pounds above what medical science says is my optimum weight. I'm about 260 now and I need to be no more than 210 as I'm about 6'2'' and I'm of the male persuasion.

JohnP
03-23-2012, 02:07 PM
The key is to not totally fast... just quit eating solid food and start doing smoothies and add powdered food replacement such as Garden of Life which is organic cold pressed nutrition from actual food.

I'm currently doing rolling 7 day fasts and have lost 15 pounds so far. I also take alot of supplements to make sure I'm getting plenty of nutrition.

If you do get overly hungry, eat a couple of pieces of Ezekiel bread (it's just sprouts and grains and isn't really bread...has no flour) and a small glass of milk.

They be gonna call me "skinny benny" before long...don't worry, I won't be THAT skinny as I'm going to maintain a few pounds above what medical science says is my optimum weight. I'm about 260 now and I need to be no more than 210 as I'm about 6'2'' and I'm of the male persuasion.

I don't know how to say this without sounding mean so I'll just say it.

You are wrong. Entirely wrong.

Fat loss is an equation of energy. Juice fasting is about the dumbest thing one can due for a number of reasons but the primary ones are:

It is not sustainable
It does not help hunger
You're not getting nearly enough protein

This thread is about intermittent fasting which works and is based on science. Juice fasting is a fad and when you apply science it falls flat on it's face.

Of course you have lost weight. You're ingesting very few calories. Bad news is you're also losing muscle. Most importantly:

You are not establishing sustainable dietary habits wich will alllow you to keep the weight off once you lose it.

Italiannie
03-23-2012, 02:36 PM

I agree with John P.

Rockrzp, what you are describing is not what I would consider fasting. Smoothies (and I love them and do eat them) are food.

I am delighted that you have found something that works for you, and I hope that they will be calling you "skinny benny" very soon.

If you want more information on IF, please do some research. It is very misunderstood.

Rockrz
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Funny... through the smoothies and the supplements, I am getting plenty of the nourishment that my body needs so I'm not being irresponsible and damaging my body.

Not eating solid foods is in fact a form of fasting...and the weight is leaving now that I've been able to develop the self control to not eat solid foods. The thing that helped my the most is knowing that I am getting plenty of nourishment using RAW Organic Meal by Garden of Life
see - http://www.transformyourhealth.com/gardenoflife/rawmeal.htm

It's hard to argue with...weight coming off and me developing of lifestyle of not eating like a pig, which is what is going to make the weight loss last long term :carrot:

There's no one program that's going to work for everyone ya know...

Italiannie
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Rockrz said - "There's no one program that's going to work for everyone ya know..."

I couldn't agree more. This thread is for Intermittent Fasting, and you chimed in.....

Rockrz said - "The key is to not totally fast... just quit eating solid food and start doing smoothies and add powdered food replacement such as Garden of Life which is organic cold pressed nutrition from actual food."

I'm sure you misunderstand what Intermittent Fasting is. Most people do.

Like I said earlier, I'm delighted that you found something that works for you. Best of luck and great success.

JohnP
03-23-2012, 04:37 PM
There might not be one program that will work for everyone but any program that is not sustainable long term is a program that will work for no one.

JohnP
03-23-2012, 04:45 PM
More science... (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22425331?dopt=Abstract)

cherrypie
03-23-2012, 04:55 PM
ugh. I've had a horrible couple of eating days. I'm blaming it on my period. lol

Rockrz
03-23-2012, 07:27 PM
There might not be one program that will work for everyone but any program that is not sustainable long term is a program that will work for no one.

I'm not doing this "long term".... I'm doing it to lose about 60 pounds
and then I'll focus on maintaining the weight which will include frequent
fasting, or as you folks would consider partial fasting or at least going
on a liquid diet for maybe a couple days at a time so I know I'm
getting plenty of nourishment.

So, what are you people talking about when you say "fasting"?
Drinking water only or something?

I heard that wasn't very healthy for more than a couple days at a time.
How long do you fast, and are you drinking anything other than water?

If you are, then it doesn't sound too different
than what I'm doing drinking smoothies.

JohnP
03-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Rockrz -

I propose to you there are far better ways to lose 60 lbs rapidly than what you're doing. In a steep caloric deficit your body will catabolize muscle rapidly making it that much more difficult to keep the weight you lose off. You should look into a PSMF if you're in such a hurry the specific one I would suggest is Rapid Fat Loss.

If you want to know all about Intermittent Fasting is you should read the thread or use google but the "Readers Digest" version is that you do not eat anything for a given period of time. Most people here go no longer than 24 hours. Eating nothing is totally different than drinking juice and in fact has literally nothing in common.

Rockrz
03-23-2012, 08:21 PM
But what I'm doing is not causing my body to be deficient in calories... I'm actually getting plenty of good nutrition and am actually consuming plenty of good food, albeit in liquid form. There's something about not eating solid food that just works for me psychologically which is a big part of weight loss.

Keeping it off is no problem because I'm training myself under a different lifestyle of exercising regularly, getting plenty of nutrition, and eating almost 100% organic, please I consume some good supplements.

I have actually done alot of research and it's working for me just fine. Sure, a liquid diet leaves one hungry sometimes, but that's not a problem for me at all. It was at first, but now it's not as I focus on the fact that losing weight and will be at my target by the end of the year.

JohnP
03-23-2012, 09:29 PM
It is clear you have done very little research except that which proclaims what you want to hear. If you're losing fat your body is deficient in calories. That is how fat is lost.

Regardless - best of luck. I'd suggest we turn this thread back to intermittent fasting.

I'd suggest you consider reading about your juice fasting in one of the following threads.

1 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/242751-i-am-starting-60-day-juice-fast-tomorrow.html)

2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/247029-40-days-juice-fasting-here-i-come.html)

3 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/240460-juice-fasting.html)

4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/237834-detoxing-juice-fasting-raw-food-detox-etc.html)

Here is a great article you may have missed in your research

The voice of reason (http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/tellercounty/opinion/the-dangers-of-juice-fasting/article_f72bc5b8-490a-11e1-a006-001871e3ce6c.html)

Rockrz
03-23-2012, 11:48 PM
I'd suggest you consider reading about your juice fasting in one of the following threads.

Wow, you didn't even read what I said.... I'm not doing "juice" at all...

Yes, and best of luck to you too...

Hurricane
09-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm just scaring me that what kind of effect does this type of fasting leave on your body.