Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #1  
Going to Turn It Around

S/C/G: 220/220/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Things kids say!!

My 6 yr old son and I were out and about yesterday. I stopped at the gas station and he of course wanted candy. So we went in but as soon as he saw the egg rolls he had to have them. I got him two. After we got home we were walking up to the front door, I noticed that he had only eaten one of the egg rolls. I asked him if he was going to eat the other one. He said, "No, I am saving it for tomorrow. I want to be healthy, not fat like you."

A month ago that comment might have upset me, but I know that I am on my way to being a healthy person. I am diabetic, but after losing 17 lbs and watching everything I eat, my blood sugars are already close to being completely normal. And that is without any medication.

That conversation actually renewed my determination. Thank God for kids and their honest way at looking at things. And thank God that at the young age of 6 he is already understanding how important it is to make the correct choices when it comes to his health.
stranger n my mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #2  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

that is really good but, shouldnt you be showing him good eating behaviors. it is awesome that you have lost 17 pounds, but does a 6 year old really need 2 egg rolls?
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I am glad you took this well. I have a ton of these stories..
one is 2 yrs ago while waiting for the school bus with my dd, a little boy in kindergarten turns to me( I was maybe 270 lbs?) and says :" Why are you fat?, My mama is fat too".
Last year my daughter would come home really upset because her classmates said I was fat..
But none of this woke me up, I am really ashamed that I didn't care more about me or my kids to want to be healthy.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #4  
Going to Turn It Around

They weren't those big fat monster egg rolls. They were small. He couldn't decide if he wanted the chicken or the pork so I bought him one of each. Also, my son is really thin and is on medication that affects his appetite. His doctor actually wants me to try to fatten him up a bit. It's not fun watching a naturally thin child lose weight because of medication he has to have.
And, anyway, it's better than the candy he originally went in there wanting. At least there are some(I know, very little!), veggies and meat in there.

Also interesting is that my 23 yr old daughter who is pregnant is also very thin. She weighs just 112 lbs. Her doctor warned her just yesterday that she had better put 5 lbs on by her next appointment, or else. I am not sure exactly how they can force her to gain weight though. She eats like a horse, she just has a high metabolism.

Obviously, and luckily, my children take after their father and not me.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #5  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Im sorry. I wasnt trying to mean anything by it. I guess that is what I get for making assumptions.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/248/155

Height: 5'3''

That's great that you were not upset by his words. My boys (5 and 7) have said things like that once or twice. I remember being really upset the first time and dh actually had a little talk with them. I'm not sure how I feel about that, what they said was true, I am fat. Is it their fault I'm sensitive about it?

My dh is also very thin and high energy. The boys so far take after him. They are so active and very thin. I have also heard from my doctor to try and get some more weight on them, though not for medication reasons like your son.

I hate to say it, but my oldest is so thin and eats so little, I would be in heaven if he ate 2 egg rolls!
CrispyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #7  

lol...kids do say the darndest thing...i use to LOVVEE that show...my fiance's niece and nephew tell me im fat all the time......and at first it was early in our relationship and it bothered me....but not anymore....and as far as the 2 eggrolls....id be right there with ya.....even if my child didnt have a weight problem.....i know it has to be extremly hard to tell a child no....especially when they have there heart set on it!!! But congrats on what you have lost!!! And congrats on you not getting any candy at that store....or eggrolls!!! That in itself is awesome!!! Good job mom!!!
afb0407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #8  
Going to Turn It Around

Daphne-I didn't take offense. Just thought I had better clarify.

I wonder what my son would have thought if he had seen me before I got pregnant with him. I weighed 297 at my heaviest but having to take 3 insulin shots a day and living on the diabetic diet throughout my pregnancy brought my weight down to 236 the day I gave birth. I have been hovering between 225 and 240 for the last 6 yrs. I am finally ready to lose the rest of it so I can be at a normal weight for the first time in my adult life.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

My son has made comments about me being fat as well. It actually really hurt, but he is honest.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

My guy is 6 (almost 7) and he has yet to make a comment about my weight. I know when it comes, It will be devastating. It's a HUGE fear of mine.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

My godson, when he was almost 6, asked me why I was fat when we were at the pool. It was embarassing because we were standing in line for the waterslide so there was lots of teenagers that could hear & I was standing in my bathingsuit. Ugh!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Oh my gosh, my son is just under a year, and I guessI should be thankful he can't talk yet! Further motivation to get this weight off before he can give me comments like that. I'm glad you found it helpful though.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

My daughter came up with a funny one a couple of days ago...it doesn't hurt my feeling....it makes me laugh.

I was showing her my new swimsuit.
Her: Is that for when you're skinny?
Me: No, it's for now.
Her: (face scrunched...long pause...enlightened look) Oh yeah, they stretch!

royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

LOL gosh, kids are brutal!
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #15  
Going to Turn It Around

Tricia-That's funny!

Last week my son told me that I have a cute face but an ugly nose!