Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default How Others Eat ... Perception

I can't find the old thread about this so I'm starting new

In the old thread we were talking about knowing naturally slim folks who appear to eat like hard labourers, large folks who appear to eat like birds etc.

We were at a picnic yesterday. At least six times, that I can remember, I was advised to eat something. "Sit down and eat something", "It's no wonder you're fading away. You haven't had anything to eat yet" ... that sort of thing.
Some of these comments came from folks who are health or food aware, dieting, diabetic etc. Folks who might have reason to pay attention to things like that.
I did in fact have four hotdogs, more than my fair share of pretzels, two different desserts, a few glasses of wine and a couple of beers.

As for me ... I watched to make sure my Mom didn't eat corn on the cob, I kept an eye on my diabetic friend who's been having trouble lately ... and that's about it.

I guess all that's to say that you just never know.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Is this the thread you are talking about?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120633

I get that from family a lot. When I go to visit my aunts, its always "Oh honey, sit down and let me get you something to eat!" even if I said that I JUST ate before I got there!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

Height: 5'4"

I think that with all the unhealthy weight loss options out there [anorexia, weight loss pills, starvation diets, etc.] people are more likely to believe that if someone's losing weight they must be doing it in an unhealthy way.

"Oh my goodness, look at her, she's lost 25 pounds, I hope she's been eating!"

Even if you tell them you've been eating all day they still kind of don't believe you because, you know, who does it the healthy way anymore?

Which is also maybe a little bit of internal jealousy. You know, it makes you feel bad about yourself when other people are losing weight and you're not, and it makes you feel a little bit better if you can justify it with "Yeah but she's probably doing it in an unhealthy way. At least I'm not starving myself."

But there's that psych geek in me trying to overanalyze it.
Gretchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #4  

Haha, I do that to my sister.
I ever see her eat! Everytime we're in restaurants, she orders a side of broccoli! I get on her case sooooo badly, and she swears she eats normal. At the grocery, I pick out more food for her than I do for me! LOL
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Funny, I was up at my parents last weekend, doing some chores in the garden for my dad. Nothing would do but that we stay for supper with them and have some of the fresh vegetables we had been harvesting. So I did. Ate a big plate of peas and okra, creamed corn, tomatoes, corn bread, a deviled egg and pear salad. Dad was doing this weird pushy thing (here have more corn bread, eat the rest of that tomato, try another okra, etc) and I was having to resist with all my might. Finally as we finished up and I thanked them for dinner he said, "that's probably the most you've eaten in a long time". HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, well it was a big chunk of calories, but I eat that volume of food every day, nothing unusual there!

I eat loads, everyday, but my dad thinks I'm starving?? Too strange.....
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

My mom pushed me so hard about not eating right/enough/etc. after I'd lost20 pounds through healthy eating and exercise. I was constantly fending off nasty little comments from others as well. It totally negated all my hard work and really made me feel self-conscious. In the end, I gained it all back with friends. I look at pictures of my formerly healthy, fit self now for motivation and swear that once I get back there, I will not let people make me feel bad about success!

Eat what you want! My sister always responds with, "What's it to you?" Rude, but no more so than the comments themselves.

I'm proud of you and your accomplishments- keep going!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote