Old 08-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #1  

Default Surgeries, tornados, and the party I missed (yesterday was horrible)

Yesterday had to have been one of the worst days of my life. I know this is kind of off topic, but since self-esteem and weight loss go together, I thought maybe it would be appropriate.

First off I had a horrible day at school. I failed 3 out of 4 tests. Then I ended up getting pulled into the office and told I have to repeat one of my clinical rotations, the operating room of all places. I didn’t like that one, because I have to do it at the regional trauma center which is 1 ½ hours away, and I had to work 12 hour days, and be on-call at night. So I had to stay in a hotel, and it sucked being away from all my friends and family, and everyone/everything I know. And it was completely new to me, so it was really hard. Granted this time won’t be sooooo bad, because I know my way around the OR, and I know a few people, I know what to do, and I only have to do 2-3 days, but still, I didn’t really plan on repeating my time there. And my instructer was NOT very nice to me. She made me feel about an inch tall.

I was late getting out of school because I had to stay and schedule times to retake the tests I failed. By the time I left school (which is 45 miles from home), there was a severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings. I ended up getting stuck in my car on the side of the interstate, for almost an hour, waiting out the storm. I’m not really mad about that, because the funnel clouds were awesome, and I got cool pictures, but thanks to baseball sized hail my car is toast. A friend had to come get me after the storm was passed because my windows were broke out.

*sigh*

And then that whole going away party for you-know-who, that I chickened out on (see "Eek, should I go or not?" post) – Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Sorry you had such a bad day, wish I could help.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I am sorry you had such a bad day, tomorrow can only get better.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #4  

So far today has gone fairly well... I guess. Except for stressing over yesterday.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Yikes, sounds rough! I hope the next week is much better! But the storm photos sound cool...
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #6  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Lalique, if the storm photos were digital, will you share with us? Y'know, sometimes it's miserable days that make the best stories!
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

I second that. Let's see some photos! Sorry you had such a bad day. Gosh, that must have been terrible...
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #8  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for making me rethink clinicals LOL. I sent in my application Thursday...

Sorry your day sucked so bad! If it makes you feel any better, on the day of the final in my first "Real" nursing class, me and my friend had a wreck on the interstate on the way to class...We were so worried about our grade, not the car or us LOL.

Poor car. Will the insurance cover it?
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey70 View Post
Thanks for making me rethink clinicals LOL. I sent in my application Thursday...

Sorry your day sucked so bad! If it makes you feel any better, on the day of the final in my first "Real" nursing class, me and my friend had a wreck on the interstate on the way to class...We were so worried about our grade, not the car or us LOL.

Poor car. Will the insurance cover it?
Yeah, watch out when/if you do OR time, they can be real stinkers! I'm totally dreading going back, and one of my good friends who is in the same class I am, just called and told me she quit, because she's not gonna put herself through that again (well, that and a couple other problems at school right now).

You're a nursing student?! Thats awesome!! I'm planning to go to nursing right after I'm done with Paramedic! Hopefully I can start some classes in the spring semester Maybe when my time comes you can give me some pointers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing
Lalique, if the storm photos were digital, will you share with us?
You bettcha! As soon as I get off work tonight, and can get to my computer.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #10  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Lalique, another ! I read your other post ("Eek.."). I'm so sorry you had such a difficult day yesterday! Oh man, I totally understand the stress that comes with some clinical rotations, I'm a nursing student.. I've had my share of placements that made me want to cry and ones that I absolutely dreaded each coming week but they too pass, and soon you will be finished!!

I hope you're having a much better day today! Hang in there, it'll get better

P.S. I would love to see your pics of the funnel clouds!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulone View Post
Lalique, another ! I read your other post ("Eek.."). I'm so sorry you had such a difficult day yesterday! Oh man, I totally understand the stress that comes with some clinical rotations, I'm a nursing student.. I've had my share of placements that made me want to cry and ones that I absolutely dreaded each coming week but they too pass, and soon you will be finished!!

I hope you're having a much better day today! Hang in there, it'll get better

P.S. I would love to see your pics of the funnel clouds!

I'm hopeing that the paramedic rotations and education, and my experience as an EMT and CNA for 4 years will help me prepare for whats to come in nursing. But I'm sure it will be 10 times harder than I can even imagine.

Its nice to know there's a few people here whom I can share more than just a weight loss journey with.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. Yes, nursing school is rough and those clinical instructors can be really mean. I've been there and done that. But, the end reward is totally worth it and I enjoyed my nursing career tremendously. Hang in there and stick it out and you'll be thankful you did (once the PostTraumaticStress is over with from the darn schooling). No kidding, I used to wake up in a panic that first year after schooling thinking I'd forgotten to write my dang care plan. LOL.

Sorry about the car windows , I hope your insurance will help replace them.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #13  
Heeey Nursie!

S/C/G: 283.4/See Ticker/130

Height: 5' 0"

I was a CNA while I went through nursing school. Between that and the EMT training you will find things a lot easier then a lot of your classmates. The hands on stuff won't scare ya like it does the newbies.
I do agree with Lilybelle it is well worth the pain of going through the schooling. I can't imagine doing anything else now.

I also read the other post, I am glad you followed up with the sister. Seems like a smart move.
Gildana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #14  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

I work at a specialty orthopedic hospital that does primarily diagnostic imaging (MRI, Bone Scan, etc.) and Surgery. When I'm working in surgery it's by far my least favorite part of the job....good to hear I'm not the only one!

Hopefully the time you have to repeat there will go by quickly, good luck!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #15  

Glad to hear that you made it out of the storm okay. How scary! I'm sorry to hear about your car and your school struggles, though.

I have written a grant or two about how desperate the nursing shortage is, and I've spoken to nurses about the stress of not having the staff that they need. Even though they desperately need new nurses, clinicals stress them as much as they stress the students, as it adds work to a day that is already filled with more than they can handle. Don't know if that helps, but... At least you know that once you've finished school, you will not be hurting for well-paid employment!

I trust this week will go much better. Also sorry to hear you missed your party. I'm sure you'll be able to keep up with your friend via letters, though.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote