Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #1  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Default Apples at Subway

I'll readily admit that I LOVE Subway, and it is my "fast food" when I'm out and about.

Since they began their Fresh Fit meals I've been in heaven, that 4" sandwich is just the right size, and I can have fruit instead of chips with my meal. Round it out with a glass of water (and take the juice box home for the kiddos to drink later) and I'm all set.

Here's my problem: the last couple times I've gotten the apples they are gross. They look fresh, they're crisp like they should be, but they just taste funky! The peel is almost bitter. I solved this by taking the peel off, and all was well. This morning for a snack I had one of their little bags of apples left over so I decided to eat it. The date was still fresh (I've only had it a day or two). I took the peels off and some of the apples were fine. The last one I ate though left the nastiest taste in my mouth...in fact, I spit it out and threw the rest of the bag away. Anyone else have something like this going on?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #2  
it's always something

Jennifer and I ate at Panera Bread a few days ago, and she ordered an apple as her side. She said it had no flavor at all. Nothing. It was very small, too.

It's really disappointing. It sounds like someone somewhere along the line is making the wrong choices, maybe by purchasing bargain products? Maybe they've just been in cold storage too long.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterswife View Post
I'll readily admit that I LOVE Subway, and it is my "fast food" when I'm out and about.

Since they began their Fresh Fit meals I've been in heaven, that 4" sandwich is just the right size, and I can have fruit instead of chips with my meal. Round it out with a glass of water (and take the juice box home for the kiddos to drink later) and I'm all set.

Here's my problem: the last couple times I've gotten the apples they are gross. They look fresh, they're crisp like they should be, but they just taste funky! The peel is almost bitter. I solved this by taking the peel off, and all was well. This morning for a snack I had one of their little bags of apples left over so I decided to eat it. The date was still fresh (I've only had it a day or two). I took the peels off and some of the apples were fine. The last one I ate though left the nastiest taste in my mouth...in fact, I spit it out and threw the rest of the bag away. Anyone else have something like this going on?

I'd check into a Suggestion/Complaint line for them if they're that bad. Too bad they don't taste good because they really seemed to set up a really well rounded lunch.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Well since it isn't apple season most apples have been frozen prior to being served (this is whole apples in the store too). Sometimes that takes the flavor out or causes some bitterness.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Yep, what Kelly said. Remember that prime apple season isn't until September/October in the north and that's where most apples are grown. So what you are likely eating is last year's crop. I stop buying apples around June for this reason and don't buy them again until late August. There are so many other options during the summer months here in Michigan, that I really don't miss them that much
Old 08-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #6  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you so much for this info. I actually don't eat many apples in the summer but this year I have tried them every once in awhile. I do not like them at all. Thanks for solving this mystery for me.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

(HIGH FIVES Laura) I love fresh apples in season! (WINK)
Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the info, Laura and Kelly! OK, I guess I've been living in a fog....I'm a smart girl, I know that apples are a fall fruit, but it just never even occurred to me that the apples in the grocery store this time of year weren't "fresh"....I mean, I am getting them in the produce department and all! I feel like such a putz as I'm shaking my head and laughing at myself! What a duh moment!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

(LOL) everyone has DUH moments sometimes. LOL!
Closed Thread