Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/204/165

Height: 5'7"

Default losing weight while pregnant

Hello! DH and I are TTC and I have been working to lose weight for the past little bit. I am determined not to gain a lot of unnecessary weight when I finally get pregnant but is it safe for me to keep up my weight loss and fitness program? Has anyone else done that?
LisaCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #2  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Yes, I did last fall. I lost 10 lbs the first month I was pregnant. My OB/GYN approved the eating plan my nutritionist had me on for the whole pregnancy. Losing weight the first trimester is pretty common - just be sure you are eating healthy and taking a prenatal vitamin - even before you conceive.
Exercise that's not too strenuous is recommended, keeps you in shape for labor.
I only gained 21 lbs (from the lowest weight of the pregnancy, 11 from the start) and have already dropped it all.
Good luck!
Kim
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #3  
Goodbye Fat!

I would think it would be okay as long as you talk to your doctor first. I only gained a few pounds in my first trimester and am still exercising 5 days a week. I have had to slow down a little but still going strong. The important thing to remember is that you need to eat healthy meals for both yourself and your baby!
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I taught dance all the way up until I went into labor with my third child. You CAN stay with your exercise program, but there are some changes that you should make.

~No lying down on your back exercises after 12 weeks. No crunches, etc. or things where you lie down on your back-unless it is in a prenatal video, where the positioning/movement would be done for safety.

~In the second and third trimesters, when you begin to get larger, you might have to slow down your cardio. When the pregnancy progresses, and the baby gets larger-it will cramp your lungs, and actually shift the position of your heart. (All the organs get smooshed or shoved out of the way to make room for baby.) Really think about your breathing, and be sure that you are getting enough oxygen. You won't be able to do cardio as fast as you could before, and still get enough air. I went from speedwalking down to walking 2.5mph on the treadmill in the last few weeks!

~If you do yoga, switch to a prenatal class or video. Certain moves have to be modified, etc. for safety.

~If you lift weights, and you feel any strain in the core when you do so, lighten the weights. Pregnancy isn't a time to get "fitter" but during this time you can maintain your level of health and fitness.

Weight loss...Some women can safely lose weight, other don't. It depends on how heavy you were to start. The more you weigh, the more calories your body needs and uses per day-so a woman who starts out weighing 180 probably won't lose any during her pregnancy...but a woman who starts out at 280 and starts eating healthier MIGHT. Does that make sense?

Also, a healthy rate of weight gain is 25-35 pounds-but you shouldn't fret if you are a little over or under that mark-as long as you are eating healthier.

You don't want to eat for weight loss during pregnancy-you want to eat for maintenance, PLUS what the baby needs extra. A good guideline for this is 2000 calories a day during the first trimester, and 2200-2300 during the second and third trimesters. The baby doesn't need the extra calories during the first trimester-since most of the development is in the baby's brain, heart, organs, etc. at that time-they don't start gaining much size until the second and third-so that is when the calories are needed to support that.

Also, every woman is different-and you don't know if your baby is going to be 5 pounds or 10-so there is some leeway there in the weight gain department.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #5  
Mommy of two DDs

S/C/G: 198/180/150

Height: 5'5"

This is my exact problem. We are thinking about getting pregnant again. This will be our last child. I'm trying to lose weight and am concerned about losing it now then get pregnant, getting preggo and losing it later, or just eat healthy and excersize while preggo and hope that I do not gain too much.

I gained 16 lbs with my first baby. She was born full term and weighed 6 lbs 14 oz. I ate healthy and walked every other day. Before I left the hospital I had already lost all my weight. from everything except the extra boobs.

With my second baby I did not exercise nor ate healthy at all! I gained 30 lbs and it did not go away.

I'm hoping that if I eat healthy, take prenatals, and walk everyday then I will lose weight (I won't see it on the scale of course because as I lose weight the baby will gain weight and thus I will weigh the same, but after the birth I will hopefully see the difference) and the baby will be just fine.
SandraRh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #6  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

I'm pregnant with my 4th, due the first week of October... and I've been losing weight my entire pregnancy. I actually just recently at 36 weeks got up to the weight I was when I first went in at 2 months. I haven't even been exercising (because I had some bleeding issues at the beginning of the pregnancy), just eating better. I had started to lose weight by exercising before I got pregnant and had lost 20lbs. I wasn't hardcore dieting, just trying to cut down on the amount of junk food I was eating bit by bit. When I found out I was pregnant, I decided to try to eat even better. I went from literally eating donuts for breakfast, McDonald's for lunch, pizza for dinner and drinking only Dr. Pepper to only eating regular food and drinking tea, water and milk and I lost weight drastically during the first few months of pregnancy. My midwife was only concerned during a period where I had really bad morning sickness and couldn't hold much down. But as long as I'm eating healthy and enough, taking my prenatal vitamins and I stay within my BMI range she says I don't have anything to worry about. She also said I will actually be healthier and weigh less after pregnancy than I did when I originally came in.

My midwife and the doctor both said that as long as you have a doctor's approval there's no reason to stop exercising while pregnant and that although you shouldn't diet per se, just eat as best you can without eating too little or too much. And the doctor(s) you see while pregnant should be able to help you with that. You let them know that you're trying to get healthier (because that's really what it's all about, pounds and inches should be after thoughts to that) and they'll let you know if you're overdoing it or not.
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/204/165

Update! DH and I are expecting!!! Our little bean is due June 23 and we are both very excited. I've had a few issues with bleeding and m/s that lasts all day so needless to say I haven't been able to keep up my routine. I have been eating really healthy but until I get active again I know the weight isn't going to increase slowly...Thankfully most junk food makes me what to hurl and I haven't been eating too much. I've gained 2lbs in 10 weeks and I am hoping to slow that down a bit by excercising more regularly. I just want to get to week 12 without incident at this point!

Thanks for all of your replies. It was really helpful.
LisaCB is offline   Reply With Quote