Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Default A Query about Make-up

So, I've never been one who wears much make-up. My mother doesn't wear it, most of my friends don't wear it. It's just never been a daily habit for me.

But I've been wondering lately if maybe part of my not feeling good about how I present myself to the world is because I put so little prep into my daily appearance.

So I have a couple of questions:

-Do you wear make-up? Everyday, just on special occasions, only to work?
-What do you wear for work? everyday?
-Do you just put it on the morning & don't think about it again or carry it with you & reapply throughout the day? How often do you need to touch it up?

It's strange 'cause a part of me feels like I'm "putting on a face" that is not really me when I wear make-up. Is this just me? Does anyone else feel fake when they wear make-up?

Thanks!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I wear a little for special occasions. We're talking maybe twice a year.

I just don't get it. I don't like having crap on me. I want to be able to rub my eyes without worrying, drink something without having to deal with reapplying lipstick and generally don't like feeling like a kewpie doll.

I don't think it means I don't care about my appearance or how I present myself. I'm just a natural gal and can't be bothered.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #3  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

Hello!
I do wear make up every day, but if it's not a special occasion it's just usually a base foundation to make my face look more even colour... if that makes sense.
If i'm going out for the evening i wear eye shadow, mascarra, eyeliner, blusher, lipgloss etc. If it's a special occasion though, i don't put make up on until an hour before i go out so it looks more 'fresh'.

To be honest, i don't really feel myself when i don't put makeup on because i wear it a lot, so it's strange when i don't. I guess that's the same for you because you don't wear makeup!

Do you have any shops over there where they put makeup on for free? Cause in some shops here if you browse a makeup stand they'll give you a free make over! Why don't you have it done professionally, as a treat, and see if you like the outcome?
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

I wear it every day. I feel so much better with it...even if it isn't a ton. Usually, I wear a lightweight base (waterbased so it doesn't feel gloppy), blush, eyeshadow, liner, mascara, a touch of eyebrow color because mine are VERY light, and some lip gloss. I think it's amazing how much younger and fresher I look when I put it on.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #5  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

I put on makeup before I go to work in the morning... when it's gone then it's gone and I don't re-apply. I use foundation, powder (I need this to prevent shine), blush, mascara, and lipgloss - never lipliner, eyeliner or eye shadow, well unless it's Halloween. I also remove all of it every night and have relatively clear/blemishfree skin. I rarely wear makeup on the weekend, however, I know people that won't leave the house without the full compliment of cosmetics. I really think it is personal preference and depends on how you are most comfortable. I rarely notice makeup on women, unless they are wearing too much... so less is more is my policy.

Good luck with your decision.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #6  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I wear makeup... but I see it more as a way to express myself because I collect high end brands and play with color on a daily basis. The trend right now is to look as natural as possible and fresh... (if you see What Not to Wear on TLC... the makeup artist there sticks with this approach) Its one way to avoid 'mask face'. I wear tinted moisturizer to work every day.. after using an oil free moisturizer and I always have a product with sunscreen on.

It can take several tries to get the right color match in a drug store... or you can have a professional do it and head for a department store makeup counter. Another issue with the mask face is that our skin lightens in winter and tans in summer... so the shade you use in the winter will look like a mask in the summer.

Final words... I wear it to look polished but the most important thing I think is moisturizer and sunscreen every day.

Simple things like adding a bit of blush.. or under eye brightener can make one appear younger, healthier and more awake. But it's all about personal preference For simple fixes I use Benefit cosmetics... or Almay.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I wear make-up everyday. Not much, but quite frankly, I think I look better with it, then without it. If I feel I look better for some silly reason, it makes me FEEL better. It gives me more confidence. I'm not sure why. But it does.

I wear a light moisturizer and then a very, very light base. A little blush, a little eye liner, a little light colored eyeshadow and some lip gloss. Not enough to make me look "fake", just enough to give me a little color and a little boost. When it's a special occasion, I put on mascara as well. I don't like wearing that everyday. Too hard to take off at night, IMO.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I have never worn foundation, blush ect.. Once a week, or month depending on me, I through some eyeshadow and eyeliner on and that is it, sometimes lipstick, but that is it. I don't work right now, so I don't need to worry about competing with other women, and am happy with me.
I had a Anthropology professor who used to tell the guys in class that before they marry their girlfriends to get them in the shower, scrub their face and then really look at them, because the girls ( 20 yrs ago) wore so much makeup you really don't know what your getting.
lol .
I am pretty simple, I dont' think I will ever be one of those women who spend so much time getting ready, probably got that from my mother, she would get up at 4 in the morning, to get ready for work, she spent 2 hours in the bathroom. I will never be that kind of women.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #9  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I wear make up every day to work...weekends, it pretty much depends on what I am doing. I don't wear much (a super light foundation, eyeliner, some shadow, mascara, blush, lip gloss and a little dust of loose powder b/c I get shiny...I don't usually re-apply at work, but sometimes I will put on more gloss), but I feel much more pulled together when I wear it. I would suggest going to a make up counter and asking for a make over--let the person know what look you are going for and they will show you how. They are usually free and sometimes will give samples of the products they use. Of course, they may try to push their products, but that part is up to you. If you do this, I would suggest that you either make an appt or try to go when it is not a really busy time (weekends tend to be busy)....can you tell I have done this before?!

I have always struggled w/ how to make my eyes look nice...maybe I'll hit the mall and ask for some tips for myself!

Good Luck!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #10  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

good post!!

I used to HATE makeup and actually didnt start wearing it until a few years ago. I use Bare Minerals and LOVE IT. i put it on for work, and only when i go to special places. it feels so soft and looks so natural, because i hate the overly made-up look. ive been using bare minerals since i bought it (3+ years).
if im not going anywhere special, i will wear a little lip gloss, curl my lashes and put on mascara. sometimes i might brush over my blemishes with the bare minerals powder.
thats it!
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #11  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Do you wear make-up? Everyday, just on special occasions, only to work?

I wear it most days to work, and definitely on special occasions. I try to avoid it on the weekend if possible.
-What do you wear for work? everyday?

I wear concealer (I have raccoon eyes!), a light foundation (either a liquid or a pressed powder), a bit of eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss.

-Do you just put it on the morning & don't think about it again or carry it with you & reapply throughout the day? How often do you need to touch it up?

I never need to retouch my eye stuff, but I am a virtual oil slick on my face, so I am always powdering to take away the shine.

It's strange 'cause a part of me feels like I'm "putting on a face" that is not really me when I wear make-up. Is this just me? Does anyone else feel fake when they wear make-up?

In a way, you sort of ARE putting on a face. I find that when I wear my daily make-up for the office, I feel more polished and professional. When I add more color for special occasions or for a night on the town, I feel more flirty and feminine.

What you need to ask yourself is this: "When I wear make-up, how does it make me feel?" If you feel good when wearing it, then wear it. If you feel uncomfortable in it, or you don't feel good when you wear it, then don't wear it.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #12  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

I only wear makeup for special occasions, and even then it is MINIMAL.

I heard something on the John Tesh radio program a couple weeks ago that you should replace your eye shadows every six months or so. Apparently, bacteria builds up in that time and can actually irritate your eyes.

Since I don't wear makeup often, the stuff I have now is like 2 years old or more. I'll have to throw it all out!
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I wear make-up most days for work, and always when I go out. I don't like a lot on. I've been trying Philosophy's "the Present" products, which I love. It is clear make-up, so it just evens out your skin tone a bit and minimizes the appearance of pores and fine lines. For work, I usually wear that with a bit of pressed power, some mascara and lip balm rather than lipstick. For going out, I add more eye-makeup and an actual lipstick. Anyway, I am really liking this product line because (though it feels a bit sticky going on) once it sets, I don't feel like I'm wearing make-up at all and a little bit goes a long way. I will say, don't cheap out if you can avoid it. A really cheap make-up is going to feel icky on your skin.

As to how I feel, I don't think that I'm putting on a face so much as I am highlighting my best features and minimizing my flaws. Maybe you could start with just a bit of power and lip balm or something and see how you like it before you invest in a whole host of products that you'll hate.
Bobbie Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #14  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I've got a tendency toward shiny--and I like good coverage. However, using a foundation, powder, eyeshadow and mascara daily has been too much for the summer. AND I've got sensitive skin.

Recently I started using Physicians Formula powder in "Light Translucent"--it comes with a brush and it covers and de-shines my face beautifully. Lately, it's just been that powder with some mascara. And lipgloss, of course. I don't ever go anywhere without my lipgloss. Co Bigelow (from Bath and Body Works) tinted lip glosses are GREAT and they have peppermint oil in them, so they smell and taste great, too
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

No make up here. I wear it maybe a couple of times a year (special dress up occasions) I do however put moisturizer on my face and neck every night and morning. I never liked the way makeup makes my face feel, but think it is fine for those who want to wear it. I also have never "plucked" my eyebrows or colored my hair - I guess I am a very simple woman.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote