Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default unlearning - learning - unlearning - relearning

the cycle is endless!!!!

here's what's going on with me these days. some of you remember how bad off i was before the surgery - on oxygen, couldn't breathe. and that the respiratory therapist told me that exercise was out of the question, but i COULD take 10 very deep breaths several times an hour. so i did.

now, let's fast forward to being in EXCELLENT shape - lots of weight training, lots of cardio, and breathing was comfortable, easy, deep. it felt good.

that was about 18 months ago. since then, it's gotten harder and harder and harder to exercise. the alzheimer's mom takes more time and energy. so does work. [promotions and more responsibility will do that to a person], and constant exhaustion. SOOOO last week i realized i was having trouble taking a deep breath - it actually ACHED to breathe deeply. and i've been STRUGGLING to find the time to ride my bike or take a walk, no matter how short. the 90+ heat with 90+ humidity take a toll on my asthma as well [but i have drugs for that - it's not an excuse]

this is really essential - breathing deeply, expanding the lungs GETTING OXYGEN INTO MY SYSTEM!!!!!

so, tonight, i took an extra strength aleve [aching back] because i wasn't going to let ANYTHING stand in my way - and rode my bike about 5miles.

it's now about an hour later, and i'm sweating [a good sign], and my body is struggling to breathe deeply. it hurts a bit, and some part of me is fighting it, so i'm making a conscious effort to go with the deep breathing. it's SOOOOO important.

so, why am i babbling on so much??? BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT LISTENING TO MY BODY!! about paying attention to what i NEED, rather than ignoring it. that's something all of us who qualify for the surgery struggle with - body awareness.

and it never ends. it's so easy to fall back into old habits. but we can't let that happen.

sooooo, even if you don't feel like exercising, or you're not able to move very much, please remind yourselves to breathe deeply.

and while you're at it, PLEASE REMIND ME, TOO!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I hear you Sister Jiffy, I hear you. I don't move at all and my choice of food has not been the best.... learn... relearn.... learn..... thats my life's story.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I totally hear what you are saying!!! esp with the exercise! I'm so grateful that I can move easier that Life gets in the way of me doing it! Out with the old that didn't work Bring on the new!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #4  
Rose

S/C/G: 368/254/220

Height: 6'

I had some breathing problems myself yesterday jiffy. Heat & humidity and I forgot to take a puff of my inhaler before heading out to walk/jog. Soon as I stepped up the pace I felt the shortness of breath and I was POed at myself for not remembering the inhaler. I had to stop after the 3rd lap instead of the usual 4 or 5. Yes you do have to pay attention to your body and prevention is wise too. Silly me wanted to think I didn't need the inhaler.

I just wanted to mention to you that when it is way too hot outside or if I cant make the time for out door exercise, we use a 3 & 4 mile express walking DVD at home. It is a really brisk pace work out.

Rosemary
SARose1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

OK, you've gotten my attention. I'm getting off the computer right now and getting on my bike. I've been too involved in getting my diet right that I've forgotten about the exercise importance. I also have my hand weights that I began doing and sort of stopped. Therefore, I'm jiggly all over. (Does anyone else have that problem?). LOL. Sometimes I feel my days are all filled with doing my eating right, exercising right, taking the right medication and then it's time for bed. I've never, ever been this involved in myself. Well, maybe that's a little too far fetched. I guess I was very involved in myself when I was around fifteen. Long, long ago, long ago.

Blessings.

Lolow
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

OOh, Jiffy! I am soo there with you!
Learn, relearn. (forget?) LEARN it again! I'm feeling bad about myself because I seem to be behind the curve in the learning about/listening to my body.
Just think, it'll be a refresher course and it won't be so hard to train your body as it was the first time.
Good luck! Breathe deep! Get moving!
ME TOO!
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote