LA Weight Loss - 6 hours of exercise a day :)

View Full Version : 6 hours of exercise a day :)

sweetlovin
08-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I plan to start a new diet plan where I workout 6 hours a day

then eat about a 1000 calories max that is in a vegetable/fruit combination with barely any carbs.

I currently weigh 143 at 5'10 and want to be 125 at 5'10 which would put me at the lowest bmi 18.5 and still put me at a healthy weight. so my goal is healthy and i dont want to hear about it being unhealthy, underweight whatever.

anyway im going to use this forum to track my days. if anyone wants to jump in for support/motivation. please feel more then 100 percent welcome

I already work out 3 hours a day but im doing 6 hours a day because i keep gaining weight and i dont know why. I have gained 28 pounds from my lowest weight ever, 115, and i have gained 18 pounds from my goal weight. its making me very frustrated. i have a small frame and i feel like i look horrible at this weight. im going to push my self harder.

I control my body. My body does not control me.

I know i can work out 6 hours a day. thats not a big deal. the eating part is going to be tough because i switch back and forth from anorexia to binge eating disorder so i really need the drive not to eat alot. if i exercise that much, if i happen to have a binge, i wont gain as much weight plus exercising that much may make me mentally unable to binge after so much work.

Today I work out for 2 hours but tommorrow, this plan will start. I will log in my progress daily.

HeatherAngel
08-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Ummm - I don't want to rain on your parade here, and I don't even have a problem with your goal weight - you already know it is at the lowest end of your spectrum - but I am concerned about the content of your post... honey, you can't eat that little AND work out 6 hours a day. THAT'S what's unhealthy, NOT your goal weight.

You confess you cycle between anorexia and bingeing - please, please PLEASE seek some medical help. The damage you may be doing to your body is NOT worth a number on the scale, or a number on a dress label.

What about taking a little longer to reach your goal? Is that a possibility?

I just wish i could give you a big hug :hug: Things aren't good in your dieting world, and I think you need to take a little step back - hopefully with LOTS of support, here and from your doctor - and reassess the reality of what your goals are - not just the scale, but what you want to achieve each day.

Thinking of you -
Heather

Suzanne 3FC
08-13-2007, 05:11 PM
If you are working out that much per day and are gaining weight, do you think you've lost all the fat you need to lose, and are gaining muscle?

I have to agree that your goals are concerning because they are extreme and the end result may be the opposite of what you hope to achieve.

If you really want to participate in an intensive exercise program, please find a personal trainer at a gym (or privately) that can help you devise a diet and exercise program to achieve your goals. You'll need much more than 1000 calories per day. Otherwise you risk damaging your internal organs and suffering other serious health problems.

A visit to your physician so they can assess your current health would also be wise.

It's easy to get addicted to exercise and strict dieting, to the point that it becomes a serious eating disorder, and you probably won't recognize it. Please seek advise from a physician and/or fitness professional so they can help you make sure you get on the right track, and stay there :hug:

Casandra
08-13-2007, 05:15 PM
You arent getting enough food. There are calculators online where you can calculate how many calories you need to consume for your height/weight to be a maintainer. When you don't get enough food, your body goes into starvation mode and turns everything it can get its hands on into fat. Also, with bulimia, you digest over 1/3 to 1/2 the calories of whatever you've binged before you're able to throw it up. This is the main reason why most people with the disorder are overweight.

I'm not saying I condone any of this, I'm just providing explanations.

I think you should get not only psychological help via a therapist, but you should also see a dietitian. Having a plethora of eating disorders and having low self esteem on ones body image can be really damaging, everything from your nerves to your teeth are affected. Also, I urge you, if you are purging, please dont brush your teeth straight afterwards, use mouthwash. The acid in bile erodes the enamel on the surfaces of your teeth, so when you brush after a purge, all you're doing is basically scraping away at your weakened teeth.

I'm just offering advice and explanations, I'm not judging you in any way, but I sincerely do hope you get help.

Mini-Me
08-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I already work out 3 hours a day but im doing 6 hours a day because i keep gaining weight and i dont know why.

All the rest of your post aside, ^this^ is the part you should focus on, and perferably from a medical perspective.

There might be some medical reason for your weight gain, and not one that can or should be addressed with 'more' exercise, and/or a 1000 calorie diet that isn't medically supervised.

My suggestion is to make an appointment with your doctor, and bring in your food and exercise journals from the past 2-3 months, along with the amount of weight you've gained in that time.

I wouldn't make any changes, whatsoever, beyond healthy 'living' until you've spoken to your doctor about your unexpected weight gain.

Also, before your appointment, write down your 'proposed' plan and show it to your doctor and get their opinion on it. My guess is that you will get some sound advice.

All the best.

JayEll
08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
It's good to have a plan--yours just needs some adjustment. Why not talk to a doctor? Or a nutritionist? And see what they say? To me it looks like too little food and too much exercise, and the problem with that is, you've set yourself up to fail. That won't help, will it?

Be realistic. There's no need to go to that extreme! Really! You can lose successfully without going so far...

Good luck!
Jay

Idealmuse
08-13-2007, 10:12 PM
sweetlovin - I echo what everyone about says as well. That's not enough food intake for that much exercise.

All that aside even if it worked... can you substain that much exercise beacause unless your a professional athlete that sounds pretty impossible for the long haul and you might likely outright hurt yourself more then help.

NightengaleShane
08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Pure insanity, darlin'.

If you can stick with this, good for you, but I know most people do not have the time or the energy to work out for six hours, especially if your diet is so restrictive!

Sounds a little like exercise bulemia to me...

sweetlovin
08-14-2007, 10:48 PM
You arent getting enough food. There are calculators online where you can calculate how many calories you need to consume for your height/weight to be a maintainer. When you don't get enough food, your body goes into starvation mode and turns everything it can get its hands on into fat. Also, with bulimia, you digest over 1/3 to 1/2 the calories of whatever you've binged before you're able to throw it up. This is the main reason why most people with the disorder are overweight.

I'm not saying I condone any of this, I'm just providing explanations.

I think you should get not only psychological help via a therapist, but you should also see a dietitian. Having a plethora of eating disorders and having low self esteem on ones body image can be really damaging, everything from your nerves to your teeth are affected. Also, I urge you, if you are purging, please dont brush your teeth straight afterwards, use mouthwash. The acid in bile erodes the enamel on the surfaces of your teeth, so when you brush after a purge, all you're doing is basically scraping away at your weakened teeth.

I'm just offering advice and explanations, I'm not judging you in any way, but I sincerely do hope you get help.

i do swish my mouth with water.

but seriously.i dont make myself throw up! i just always throw up. i have acid reflux and i take pills for it that work sometimes and dont sometimes
i usually swallow it up because i know i have to and i have been having this problem for years.

butif i regret something, i just throw it in the toilet

I've been eating pretty normally for the past few monthes but i did suffer from anorexia for over a year and emotionally for 2 years.

gaining weight after anorexia is mentally exhausting because you feel like all the work you did is just going away. You dont want to except it and then finding out that you gained 18 pounds out of nowhere? imagine how i feel right now. after a year of doing so much to myself to be a certain way. im just back to square 1.

I know i grew 2 inches since then so my weight is healthy but still. whatever.

im better now. i really want to eat healthy and lose weight but its soo hard. idont know what to do, where to turn because ive been doing it the wrong way so long and when i try to eat healthy. i gain weight! so its like wtf? I eat around 1500-2000 calories on an average day (not counting binges that i have a few times a month). so idk.

Im thinking of going on Jenny Craig though... or nutrisystem. that way they control what i eat. not me.

food really is an addiction, a drug. you know, sometimes i want to hate it but u really cant live without it...

anyway thank u for all the support. i will still workout 6 hours tommorrow but maybe i should rethink things for now

sweetlovin
08-14-2007, 11:00 PM
If you really want to participate in an intensive exercise program, please find a personal trainer at a gym (or privately) that can help you devise a diet and exercise program to achieve your goals. You'll need much more than 1000 calories per day. Otherwise you risk damaging your internal organs and suffering other serious health problems.

-------------

sounds like a good idea to me and that would help. unfortunately those things cost money

my mom has been saying she was going to make me see a therapist since last year and it still hasnt happened. that would have really helped at the time.

now that im at a healthy weight, she thinks im fine but thats kinda far from the truth. ive told her this but she doesnt really mind as much since i appear healthy

sweetlovin
08-15-2007, 12:56 PM
woww. i tracked my calories yesterday and i only ate 880 calories! woww i thought i had eaten soo much and the day before that I ate around 1200.

idk. its not even as high as i thought. i think 2000 calories a day is insane

Today i didnt get to work out 6 hours. I only did 2hours and half. My mom is on to me. I guess the 6 hr thing wont work out. School is starting next week anyway...

JayEll
08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey there!

Yeah, you don't want to drop below 1200 cals for any length of time... And because you're a younger person, actively growing, exercising, etc., you really can eat more, on average, per day than 1200. You should probably be closer to 1600 cals a day--and you might even lose weight on that.

Because you have trouble judging how much, try using the FitDay tracker. You can do it for free on line at fitday.com. That way, you can look at the actual numbers instead of guessing and then finding out you were off. Like you did the day you had only 800 some cals.

Don't binge. If you are eating enough good nutrition and enough calories routinely, you shouldn't get hungry.

Does your school have a counselor you could talk to?

Good luck!

Jay

Jasmine31
08-15-2007, 01:53 PM
You need some medical help quick. You being healthy is more important than a number on your scale. I don't think there is anything any of us can say here that will help.

Greens
08-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Sounds to me like there's a miscalculation in your original diet. Somehow more calories are sneaking in for you to be gaining weight with a three hour workout per day. Do you keep a food diary? You need to find your error.

Six hour workouts are going to make it more likely that you're going to hurt yourself. If that happens it's going to be hard to workout at all. Then there's the risk of heart attack and stroke depending on your age and condition. I guess if you're in your twenties it's not that big a risk, but if you're in your forties or beyond you're asking for it.

sweetlovin
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Sounds to me like there's a miscalculation in your original diet. Somehow more calories are sneaking in for you to be gaining weight with a three hour workout per day. Do you keep a food diary? You need to find your error.

Six hour workouts are going to make it more likely that you're going to hurt yourself. If that happens it's going to be hard to workout at all. Then there's the risk of heart attack and stroke depending on your age and condition. I guess if you're in your twenties it's not that big a risk, but if you're in your forties or beyond you're asking for it.

im almost 16. LOL.

sweetlovin
08-15-2007, 05:27 PM
i cant go to the gym by myself anymore. I have to go with a friend or sister which sucks because i moved to florida less then a month ago and i have none and my sisters are lazy and busy...

hmm. i guess ill have to dig through my workout video stack.

im considering going on a protein diet. i heard that burns a lot of fat. im going to search the forum. or maybe slimfast . idk yet

Idealmuse
08-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Sweet -

Excess exercise is actually classified under eatting disorders sometimes... Its like bulemia but instead to get rid of calories people over-do the exercise. It's considered a serious health issue and your body will soon not get enough nutrition especially if your eating under 1200 calories. In fact you will lose weight slower if your body starts freaking out about not getting enough food for the activty you give it.

Do you have a high school counsler you can talk to? Maybe even the school nurse? You'd really benefit from a discussion with a nutritionist I'm sure your parents would be open to such a thing especially since they sound concerend about th level of exercise you're trying to do.

sweetlovin
08-15-2007, 06:32 PM
why does everyone think i need help?? idk. i think i could use a person to talk to but i dont think im as crazy as everyone else does.

I really would like to see a nutritionists. how much are they?

staciec878
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
People dont think youre crazy, its just very extreme to exersize that much with that little food. And yoour not under medical supervision while doing this. If you have insurance nutritionist should just be a co-pay. So probaly not that much.

Spinymouse
08-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Sweet -
I don't think you're crazy; in fact, although it has been a LONG time since I was a teen, I can remember it like it was yesterday. Actually you remind me a little of myself back then. Since you do, let me ask you: do you like to cook at all? If so, I think maybe if you talked to a nutritionist and got some very healthy ideas of what a girl your age should be eating, and if you asked your mom if you could do more cooking, she might be very happy to see you interested in healthful eating, and change some of the things she is buying (I looked up in one of your other posts how she was stocking up with a lot of junk food.) At your age you should be able to eat a pretty good quantity of healthy foods.
As far as the exercise - whoa! You WILL go crazy if you try to do that!! We all just want you to take real good care of yourself, that's all! And there is nothing crazy - only smart - about asking for info from the experts in the field of nutrition and exercise! Do it, you'll be happier.
jo

Greens
08-15-2007, 07:10 PM
My first impression on reading your original post was, "YIKES!!!"

You're very focused on weight loss and extreme. If you said, I want to climb mount everest, I'd have thought that was reasonable enough, but you don't seem to be concerned with much of anything but your targets and goals which all revolve around your weight. It's like the only reason you don't want to lose two more pounds is that that would officially make you a person with a food disorder hence I think you do have a food disorder that you are trying to hide by staying out of the clinical diagnosis range.

Of course what do I know?

sweetlovin
08-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi Sweet -
I don't think you're crazy; in fact, although it has been a LONG time since I was a teen, I can remember it like it was yesterday. Actually you remind me a little of myself back then. Since you do, let me ask you: do you like to cook at all? If so, I think maybe if you talked to a nutritionist and got some very healthy ideas of what a girl your age should be eating, and if you asked your mom if you could do more cooking, she might be very happy to see you interested in healthful eating, and change some of the things she is buying (I looked up in one of your other posts how she was stocking up with a lot of junk food.) At your age you should be able to eat a pretty good quantity of healthy foods.
As far as the exercise - whoa! You WILL go crazy if you try to do that!! We all just want you to take real good care of yourself, that's all! And there is nothing crazy - only smart - about asking for info from the experts in the field of nutrition and exercise! Do it, you'll be happier.
jo

she has been making an effort to change her lifestyle. Shes starting to workout every other day and eat a little less. She even bought 2 percent milk. small change but i was shocked!

I have enough healthy food to make a change but i am a horrible cook! I have been my whole life and i really want to fix this but everything i cook turns out bland. Know any easy cook websites. I think i might try teenhealth.org. Everything has to be kind of simple. I still have to figure out how the heck to cook this fish i have in the fridge without frying it. and baking it seems kind of complicated to me.

I only exercised 3 hours today! My mom dragged me out of the gym... i was so pissed. i was seriously going to do 6 hours! then she yelled at me. like excuse me for trying to work out. I definitely don't think thats something to get mad at me for.

Shes only got mad at me because i went yesterday but only for like 45 minutes so it was like i didnt work out. im only allowed to go every OTHER day. i would go insane if i had to do that. everytime i dont workout, im always 10 times more obsessive about my weight and say im fat around the house. my sisters are soo TIRED OF IT. i feel so bad but it slips out of my mouth all the time. My sister almost slapped me the other day i said something about my body. I feel really bad that they had to deal with this for so long.

----------------

but anyway. I do appreciate what you are trying to say though. I guess i dont need to work out 6 hours a day. I just dont know what to do. i know for a fact a nutritionist is not going to be something i will be doing any time soon. my mom doesnt take me seriously now that i am at a "healthy' weight.

She said i could schedule an appointment with jenny Craig to get my eating under control. through they might tell me i shouldn't lose any weight which is annoying.

But yeah, I can see that you guys really do care which is why im telling this forum all this stuff.

it makes me want to do this is a healthier way. or atleast something more sane

sweetlovin
08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
My first impression on reading your original post was, "YIKES!!!"

You're very focused on weight loss and extreme. If you said, I want to climb mount everest, I'd have thought that was reasonable enough, but you don't seem to be concerned with much of anything but your targets and goals which all revolve around your weight. It's like the only reason you don't want to lose two more pounds is that that would officially make you a person with a food disorder hence I think you do have a food disorder that you are trying to hide by staying out of the clinical diagnosis range.

Of course what do I know?

thats what my sister says ALL THE TIME. that all i care about is the numbers on a scale

the thing is. i dont own a scale! which drives me crazzzyy. i am so going to buy one. even though i know i will become obsessed

i mean i think the reason all this weight crept up on me is because i dont have one. everytime i jump on a scale at a public restroom or supermarket, i find out i have gained weight. A scale would help me control it.

But my mom. again. doesnt want me to have one. whatever, im going to buy one anyway. She'll get over it

But its true. I tend to focus on numbers more then anything else but i know a lot of people tend to do they. " My goal is to be ### by ####) I hear that a lot on this board.

I was already at the clinical diagnosis range last year. I was too scared to go to one of those psycho centers so when the doctor referred me to one, i just lied and said i was fine and just running a lot

i kind of regret that now...but i didnt even know anything was wrong with me

this board is kind of releasing loll

Idealmuse
08-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Not crazy at all by far!

I think you're very typical of someone your age... and I don't mean that in a bad why I'm not talking down to you or anything. Lots of people your age want it done yesterday and are willing to goto all kinds of extremes to get there. I think a lot of us have been around awhile and we've just seen people hurt themselves by going to hurtful extremes so we're trying to nudge you in the right direction.

The media today is horrible about making people who have 10-20lbs to lose feel like they are horribly fat, so I'm not surprised you feel that way despite you looking like you're in a good weight range for your height (I have no idea what your build/frame is though) Losing weight when you don't have much to lose is a slow process so it takes alittle patience I guess.

I don't know how much a nutritionist appointment would be but ask your parents if they can check if health insurance will cover it... You said you goto the gym too maybe you can pay for one session only with a personal trainer. Tell them your goals and they will give you a more realistic workout plan. You don't have to see the trainer weekly... maybe every few months and they will alter the plan for you depending on how well things are going.

I think its great you want to take handle of your weight at this age. I was just slightly overweight when I was 16 (maybe 150-155lbs) and I know I was also uncomfortable and unhappy so I totally see where you're coming from. I wish I would have known how beautiful I was back then... but I also wish I would have stopped gaining when it started happening. I think you're a smart cookie to want to be healthy, but to be healthy you have to lose weight in a healthy way. Fads/Tricks/Excess will only hurt you or shortly bring you back to square one.

Humor us and try talking to an expert. :)

Hermit Girl
08-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I have to agree that your goals are concerning because they are extreme and the end result may be the opposite of what you hope to achieve.

I agree, because that was *my* experience 10 years ago! I recall , after having lost 25 pounds by exercize, moderate diet and a healthfood 'speed', called Herbalife Thermogenics (with ephedra > Ma Huang> I"ll NEVER do supplements like this again!!!! ) , as a first timer significant weight loss proportionally, when I gained 5 pounds back I thought I was suddenly a pig again. It just is so psychological, because I was still fitting intothe smallest size I'd ever been, a size 6! After deciding to go back on a diet, instead of learn to love my new weight and maintain, I started a weight gain like there's no tomorrow, because I allowed the psychology get out of hand.

So much vanity can ruin a good healthy program. What *I* needed at that point , was to go on a vanity diet. :D

Hermit Girl
08-18-2007, 10:04 AM
i mean i think the reason all this weight crept up on me is because i dont have one. everytime i jump on a scale at a public restroom or supermarket, i find out i have gained weight. A scale would help me control it.But my mom. again. doesnt want me to have one. whatever, im going to buy one anyway. She'll get over itA scale will do nothing to help you control anything, the weight crept up on you because you are growing and changing. Your body will change a lot in the next 10 years. A scale in many circumstances can make you feel worse, when and if you do weigh more than some ideal you have in your mind.

Your mother is trying to give a valuable message, doing her part to keep you away from women's biggest weakness > insecurity about your body. You need to try to listen to that. My personal evolution in life, has taught me to turn away from the fashion industry entirely, the magazines, the tv shows, all of it... and not buy into all that which is being forcefed to you so that you will spend your money. It may sound radical, but I happened to think what women as a whole, do to themselves, in the name of fashion and body image, is shocking. Don't buy into it... I know you're smarter than that!

Thora
08-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Hey... I am also 5'10" with a goal weight of 125. I'm fluctuating between 135 and 140 right now, but I used to weigh 185. Maybe we can help eachother out? I've never found anyone before with the same height and goal weight as me!

I used to work out for about 3 hours a day but now I work out every other day for only an hour and it's actually working better! I don't know why. However, I have been slacking off lately and could use a partner to keep me in line! Let me know.

aphil
08-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Thora-

One of the reasons working out for an hour night be working better for you, is because your muscles need rest time to rebuild and get stronger. You exercise to burn fat, and to increase muscle-but if you overexercise and don't give the muscles rest time, then they can't rebuild.

All bodybuilders give 48 hours rest time (at least) between body parts worked...they never do legs, or biceps 2 days in a row-because it defeats the purpose of what they are doing. The muscles have to recover.

sweetlovin
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Thora-

One of the reasons working out for an hour night be working better for you, is because your muscles need rest time to rebuild and get stronger. You exercise to burn fat, and to increase muscle-but if you overexercise and don't give the muscles rest time, then they can't rebuild.

All bodybuilders give 48 hours rest time (at least) between body parts worked...they never do legs, or biceps 2 days in a row-because it defeats the purpose of what they are doing. The muscles have to recover.

but you can do cardio every day right? I thought this was correct

Anyway Im actually listening to the advice of the people here and doing it healthier by only exercising 2 hours on weekdays, 3 on weekends, and eating in moderation

aphil
08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
You can do cardio everyday, but even with cardio, it is good to switch it up a bit, since different cardio things work different areas, or the same areas differently. For instance, rollerblading works the inner/outer thighs more...while walking hits the front/back thighs more, etc.

If you do your cardio super intense, and you do it a LOT...it is still good to take a rest day once a week. My husband runs, does 5K's etc. and strength trains-and he has a rest day once a week. With your workouts being longer than an hour each day, a rest day once a week could be beneficial to you.