Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default Shirataki Noodles?

I still have yet to find a pack of these, but they sound amazing! 40 calories in a full pack of "pasta"? Talk about a lifesaver if I NEED a snack but have had more than enough calories that day, lol. Has anyone tried these? Do you have any idea where I might get them? I've tried oriental stores, kroger (local grocery), and BRIEFLY looked in Earthfare - though I'll try that again. Then I still have Fresh Market...
Hmmmm...
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #2  

Nicole,

Here is a previous thread on them that might help

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109336

I find mine at Safeway. There are there all the time. Occasionally I use to find them at Trader Joe's, but not in months. I mostly use them in stir fries but you can use them to make things like a frittata or even fettucine alfredo. I love them!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #3  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

You may have to buy them online. I don't have access to a Trader Joes, waaaaaaa!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #4  

I found them at Whole Foods (haven't tried them yet...they're still in the fridge)
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

I found them at Publix supermarket here in Florida. They were in the produce refrigerator section near the tofu and organic foods. I really didn't like them. I found they were rubbery and didn't satisfy my pasta craving, but weren't bad, and were super low-cal. If you find them, check the Hungry Girl website. Hungry Girl has made up a guide of how to deal with them (for example you're supposed to rinse them and pat them very, very dry before 'cooking' with them) and also has some recipes.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
I found them at Whole Foods (haven't tried them yet...they're still in the fridge)
What section at Whole Foods are they in?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #7  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I've tried them and I'm a fan! I could make a pretty low cal chicken fettuccine alfredo with them, that satisfied that particular urge. I've never been a huge pasta fan, but the noodles are VERY satisfying. The texture is different from pasta (think very al-dente, as they're a little rubbery), but if you cook them as directed (rinse first, then boil), they're not bad at all.

I'm now doing Atkins, so I'm having trouble finding a sauce I'd like to use on them that's still low carb, but once I do, I'll totally be a Shirataki person again. I'm the the Northeastern United States and our local grocery store "Price Chopper" carries them, as does an organic food store called "Guido's". I'd check whole food stores.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #8  

If you have a japanese grocery store in your area, they may carry them. I eat these all the time and find them to be a great addition to my diet. Just remember to rinse them very well before using. I usually rinse them for 5-10 minutes under running water.
nxelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #9  
LLV

Um, ok, in what section are these noodles normally found? Produce? With the cheeses? Where? I'm pretty sure they're not frozen or dried, right?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #10  

These noodles are always refrigerated. I often see them in the dairy case next to the tofu and other vegetarian protein sources. Some stores have a refrigerator case with asian foods such as dumplings, wonton wrappers and sushi. They are sometimes in there.
nxelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #11  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I tried these once and they are very rubbery. I couldn't get past the fact that it felt like eating worms or something. Plus they didn't have much of a taste, even after putting pasta sauce on them. I think I'll stick with multi-grain pasta.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

They're in the tofu area in Whole foods. They are a bit like Cafeteria spagetti texture wise However I made pasta and meatsauce with them and DH devoured it and for 40 calories Bring it on!
Definitely rinse super well and parboil for 3 minutes
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

In our grocery they are in the produce department along with refrigerated meat substitutes.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #14  
LLV

Thanks guys!